PDA

View Full Version : New Saga Luke and Vader (Just Plain SCARY)

DarkArtist
07-16-2003, 05:48 PM
:frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus:
Just a small post to bash the new Saga Throne Room Duel Luke and Vader.

First:
Both figures do not work. Vader's lightsaber throwing action only works if you actually throw the lightsaber yourself, and Luke's big slashing technique, the lightsaber doesn't even reach the railing that he is suppossed to cut in half.
Second:
Not to be too critical but the Luke is extremely scene specific and there is no room to even put a Darth Vader figure to re-enact the scene. Plus not to mention the total lack of attention, glove on wrong hand issue.
Third:
The only saving grace for these figures is that they can both hold the lightsaber with two hands. And the fact that the card design is an improvement to a much needed graphic.

All in all the figures need serious overhauling. Hasbro needs to be gutted and re-staffed with new designers who can give us the fans exactly what we want and know exactly how to design a figure that requires Imaginaton. :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus:

Banthaholic
07-16-2003, 08:01 PM
I picked these up over the weekend, and was actually quite pleased. I initially didn't think I would be, but loved the package, and the contents inside. Although I'm not an opener.

JediTricks
07-17-2003, 03:34 AM
DarkArtist, sorry to hear all that. I can't say I'm surprised, this is pretty much what I expected, sounds like gimmickitis has ruined these toys.

LTBasker
07-17-2003, 06:30 AM
Both figures do not work. Vader's lightsaber throwing action only works if you actually throw the lightsaber yourself

My god... the one figure they intentionally make to throw can't, but all the figures that are supposed to hold on always let go.

I'm speechless from here on..

JEDIpartner
07-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Mine throws his saber each and every time. The problem is, his cape dropping feature activates when you try to press the button on his big black butt! :frus:

Dark Marble
07-17-2003, 10:28 AM
Mine can also throw the sword. I Liked these figures more than I thought I would. It was nice having an updated Vader with removeable helmet, but the neutral pose of the POTF2 version is much better. However, I am hoping that the saga version will look good breathing his last on the ramp of a shuttle.....

But I agree, after a long wait for a new Luke Jedi figure, this one is not ideal. And it is a very good thing they are doing away with the gimmicks.

mm74md
07-17-2003, 03:42 PM
I wasn't able to get the Luke, but I have the Vader. He looks great with two hands on the saber. But I could do without the action feature

Mandalorian Candidat
07-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Sorry to hear about the disappointment with these figures. I thought they look great in spite of Luke's "gotta get some ex-lax" expression. Hasbro swears up and down that the throwing feature really works, but since mine is in the bubble still I can't verify that.

JEDIpartner
07-17-2003, 04:00 PM
Again.... they failed to mention the cape dropping feature!

Skywalker3319
07-30-2003, 09:38 PM
I got the Jedi Luke, last one at my local kb, but over all, like someone had said up above, I keep um in the package, moc. Thats how I like them. Ive got another one comming from a friend in Indiana, he found one too, so hes sendin it to me. I like the Jedi Luke, I just really want the glove to get fixed, then Ill be satisfied w/ the Jedi Luke I always wanted.

Sidiously Darth
07-30-2003, 09:46 PM
I saw these the other night and was not really impressed. I left them on the pegs for someone else. I have so many vaders and lukes right now. I don't think these 2 can really add anything to what I have. :rolleyes:

plasticfetish
07-30-2003, 09:53 PM
:frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus:

Agreed. They're both junk. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19991&page=2)

TheDarthVader
07-30-2003, 10:02 PM
This vader has a removeable helmet??! Is this true? You can pull the mask off and reveal the face of Anakin Skywalker...!?

plasticfetish
07-30-2003, 10:44 PM
No ... as it turns out, that's the worst thing. You pull off the helmet and it's Carson Daly's face ... really weird.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-31-2003, 01:35 PM
I got these yesterday at Target. Vader is really cool, the throwing thing really works. The only bad thing about him is the cape is the one from Bespin Duel Vader, and too actiony. Luke sucks. He's only good for dioramas, and nothing else. His saber only goes like an inch above the rail he's supposed to make break in half. Oh well, I also got Coleman and Wat and they're freakin' awesome.

Dark Lord Kakorotto
07-31-2003, 06:56 PM
Agreed. They're both junk. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19991&page=2)

The luke is horrible with its gorilla arms and horrible expression. I hope the Jabba's Palace Luke is everything it is suppose to be.

BoShek
08-01-2003, 08:37 PM
I must agree.

My story: my local Wal Mart only gets a case of figures in, puts them out and that's it. So when new figures come out, I gotta get them. So I see these two. I get excited. But then I look at them close and see how pathetic they are. I put them back and bought Han (Hoth) and a Snowtrooper. I was really looking forward to Luke but his face and pose are so bad!

dindae
08-03-2003, 01:41 AM
LOL I didn't realize he was supposed to throw the lightsaber. I thought it was just another crappy feature that didn't work like force flipping, flying jango, levitating the saber into hand.......dear god why doesn't someone stop them.

187-Maul
08-03-2003, 09:20 AM
can anyone that has the DV figure post a pic of him holding his lightsaber in two hands (and helmet on)? I'm curious if it looks good
thanks

Banthaholic
08-12-2003, 06:29 PM
I managed to pick up the Corrected Luke today at Target. Attached is a comparison picture of the two.

yngadult
08-13-2003, 01:13 PM
I saw several Luke's at Target and left them on the pegs because the arm joint was so obvious it detracted from the figure's realism. It looked like he was wearing a cheap prosthetic from the elbow down - very mechanical.
So, someone else can buy them and get disappointed.
I hope Hasbro realizes that people who sell crappy products consistently don't stay in business in the long run.

mista_carrot
08-14-2003, 03:49 AM
can anyone that has the DV figure post a pic of him holding his lightsaber in two hands (and helmet on)? I'm curious if it looks good
thanks

Here's a quick n' dirty pic:

Jaff
08-14-2003, 11:29 AM
The figure detail is awesome in Luke, but the sculpt is dreadful. Passed on him, as for Darth I have 10 Different Vader's, another one does not hold interest, esspecially this one.

Skywalker3319
08-18-2003, 07:18 AM
Me personally, I really think this figure is cool(Luke Throne Room Duel), I already have the corrected and variation moc in a star case, and I have one opened. Its a sweet figure, and Im really happy with it.

Anakin2121
08-18-2003, 09:19 AM
I actually saw a Super Battle Droid builder at Target, and that's the newest Saga thing I've seen there.
Clone Wars stuff has been popping up, just vehicles and the Droid Army 3-pack and the Droideka ball launcher.
No Saga figures besides Pilot Jango at the TRUs.
A bunch of Teemtos, Lott Dods, and Wattos warming the pegs at every Wal-Mart.
Armies of four-packs, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, Djas Puhr, and Endor Rebel Soldiers warm the pegs at Target.
I've looked thoroughly in five states now and still found not one 2003 Star Wars Saga figure. How can this be? The year is more than halfway over!!!!

LTBasker
08-18-2003, 04:19 PM
Found the Vader not too long ago fortunately and was really suprised at how good it was. One thing I find he'd be great for is battle field dioramas, an example is below.

The Luke however, I do not like. He's hideous unless he's used as a statue with his lightsaber back. Yeah his feature works to an extent- you have to bend him downward in order for the posts to be slashed if they even stay up at all. :rolleye:

Btw: if you're wondering in the picture Vader is standing on the rock base that came with the Two Towers bendy Gollum figure.

fishyfett
08-19-2003, 01:19 AM
I bought these figures just for the hell of adding it to my collection. I hesitated for awhile before I finally decided what the heck. I'm really getting tired of Hasbro cranking out more Jedi flukes that they can't get right. Vader is cool for those who missed out on the first Off-On Helmet version. Well, at least, Luke's Jediarrhea expression is better than the bucktooth X-wing Luke. Bleeaagghhh!! I didn't buy that one. I guess I won't open this two, thanks to the spoilers I heard. Then, again, maybe I will just to find out how bad their gimmicks are. :D

Anakin2121
08-19-2003, 07:41 AM
How come everyone but me seems to have found new figures? :(

fishyfett
08-19-2003, 11:46 PM
Speaking of new figures, has anyone noticed that the missile on Carkoon Fett's jet pack looked different from the one showed on the back of the package???? Does anyone have a matching missile on their Fett's jetpack?? :confused:

JediTricks
08-20-2003, 01:44 AM
Nobody will, Carkoon Fett's torso and gimmick are lifted from Pilot Jango which includs that awful-looking missile button. The prototype didn't take that into account, I guess.

LTBasker
08-20-2003, 03:35 AM
I think their "prototypes" are fully regular figures, that's why they have said they work so well in proto form. ;)

fishyfett
08-20-2003, 08:58 AM
Nobody will, Carkoon Fett's torso and gimmick are lifted from Pilot Jango which includs that awful-looking missile button. The prototype didn't take that into account, I guess. Crappity-crap!!!! You're right. Damn, and I thought I'd catch that flaw from the Jango figure. Got jiffed again!!!!! :eek:

Skywalker3319
08-22-2003, 09:36 AM
These figures are sweet as hell. So, who knows, to each his own, but if you really just take a look at um,and ya know, I guess appreciate them for what they are,then they're really cool figures. I really do like the Luke, its probably my favorite Jedi Luke figure right now, the only one that could beat it out is the 2004 one, so its gonna be close. But still, Jedi Luke TRD RULE

:D :D

mm74md
09-11-2003, 09:16 AM
I wanted to chime in here. I bought 3 Luke Throne Rooms - 1 wrong hand, 1 corrected, and 1 corrected for my son along with a Vader for me & 1 for my son.

Let me just say that my son has not put the Luke or Vader down for 2 weeks. He loves them. The action features work and this is what Hasbro had in mind when they started these action features.

darthzirock
09-13-2003, 12:13 AM
OK, I bought both of these on smashed cards at Wally World. Since I open everything anyway, NBD. Yes, the action features work: Vader throws his saber (after dropping his cape) and Luke slices through the railing (if he's bent forward far enough and the railing actually stays up before you hit the button).

However, it does not belay the fact that Luke looks just terrible, and Vader should have been given a cloth cape. I only found the one of each figure, and that's all I'll be buying of these two.

dindae
09-13-2003, 10:36 AM
Well I just picked up the emporer and if you thought luke and vader were bad then you will have a field day bashing the emporer. Everything looks good except the afro-hood. Somehow this hood soars above his head.

plasticfetish
09-13-2003, 03:12 PM
... then you will have a field day bashing the emperor.
That's been done quite a bit already around here.

JediTricks
09-24-2003, 09:33 PM
Only 2 months later, I finally found these 2.

I had no idea how tiny Luke is, he's very light and quite short (and then I accidentally put him next to the oversized Library droids for a minute and thought I was looking at an Ep 1 Anakin figure ;)). His gimmick bothers me as nearly all gimmicks do, this one not only for having an ugly button and removing waist articulation, but also for forcing floppy elbows and then not even having that much travel - in fact, the lack of travel on Luke is a whole other level of insult to me. I hate the face on this thing, it looks terrible from most angles (I've found a few where it's much better though) and has paint that just isn't right - I think if the mouth were different and the eyes weren't so cartoony, this would have been a working sculpt... oh yeah, except for the fact that Luke's neck starts behind his head! That looks so weird. Luke's ROTJ lightsaber is my favorite prop of all time in SW and once again, Hasbro's designers butcher it into a pipe with rings. I appreciate the rotating elbow joints to allow for variety in how the figure holds its saber, but the hinge joints they're part of still look pretty bad. The base accessory is ok, but since the figure has to lean WAY over to cut the railing, I gave this whole thing to Vader since Luke can stand on his own. I guess ultimately, I'm such a sucker for Luke ROTJ that even with all its faults, I still don't hate it.

--

Vader is a whole different ball of wax. Some good ideas and designs were incorporated with some really poor choices on Hasbro's part to produce this unsatisfying figure. Unlike Luke, Vader comes with no base, so you'd think the cost would be transferred to articulation or something else... nope. Trying not to be too much of a figure-fussbudget, I refused to compare the 2 Vaders at the store and ended up with the one missing half its cape chain paint, so that sucked. The blade being glued into the hilt on the saber seemed like a necessary evil due to the nature of the figure, and I was glad to find that it was painted and glued straight. Hasbro cheaping out and using the cape from the last Saga Vader was a massive mistake, not only is it too short (looks like he's tied a towel around his neck), but its preposed nature badly gets in the way of the removable helmet, not to mention the gimmick. This is a massive annoyance on several levels at once. The head sculpt under the helmet is very good and the paint is nice, but the helmet itself has a weak sculpt and as I mentioned before, doesn't stay on too well when the cape is being worn. The torso sculpt seems pretty "soft" to me, a step down from previous versions, but this is relatively minor.

I don't like the stanse Hasbro gave him, it doesn't seem to want to stand on its own. The right arm, the gimmick arm, has some interesting shoulder articulation which I like, but another floppy elbow joint that really looks gappy; the addition of gauntlet cut-joint is most welcome. However, the left arm is a major disaster IMO, it's got only standard rotation at the shoulder, but it's preposed to be the backup on a 2-handed saber hold... while I love 2-handed saber holds, Hasbro royally screwed up here by not adding any more articulation to the arm, thus leaving it in a permanent bent shape that forces it to look like he's doing bicep curls and can't even put the arm behind his back because its curve makes it stop at the front of the legs and torso. So while his right arm looks cool in a few poses, his left arm hangs awkwardly by his side like he's had a stroke.

The gimmick itself works pretty well without the cape, but looks ridiculous this way. The torso locks back so you can push a button to release the action and throw the saber, but it's so easy to go past where this button's lock is and ratchet over to the next spot in the gearing thus killing the throw and making you ratchet it back into place. All in all, between the arm, the cape, the silly gimmick that I'm afraid is going to destroy or lose that saber some day, and the helmet, this figure is fairly disappointing.