PDA

View Full Version : new 12" Obi-Wan, Garindan & Jawas!

JediTricks
07-17-2003, 02:55 AM
Check 'em out in SSG's SDCC coverage: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/photo/showgallery.php?cat=662

Obi-Wan's head sculpt, clothes, and saber look really nice, but the body looks like an old HOF body that has high blood pressure. ;)

The Jawas look ok except for the painted eyes, but more like 2-ups from the 3" figures than anything else, certainly not as good as the 6" AC one from 5 years ago.

Garindan looks pretty sharp IMO, not a complicated body or costume, but head and comm unit accessory look top notch.

plasticfetish
07-17-2003, 03:56 AM
Hey! Where did these come from?

Obi-Wan looks really good I think. I'm pleasantly surprised. As much as I hate the Jedi Luke, I think I will like Obi-Wan.

I'm not sure about the Jawas. On the one hand I like plastic ... uh huh ... big plastic Jawas sounds like a cool idea. But, It's just not what the 12" line is all about to me. Looks like they're cheaping out with these ... agreed, the old ones seem better. (On that note, I like my Yoda from back then better than this angry and puffy looking new one.)

Garindan ... super! Such a weird looking character to begin with ... great looking toy. Really looking forward to it.

derek
07-17-2003, 08:07 AM
i don't think obi-wan has a HOF body, it looks like a classic collection joe body, like the one dooku has, just without the hinged fingers. it's just the prototype.......remember when they showed dooku, his body color was different than his head color?

.............overall, these 3 figures look good, but who really wants them? i have 3 obi-wan's already, 2 jawas, and don't really care for the long snout guy. :cry: .........i'll get him, but i would of preferred something else, like........

1. episode 2 padme star fighter pilot
2. captain panaka
3. male or female jedi

Doc Brown
07-17-2003, 09:52 AM
ugggghh. look at those hideous jawas. If I want more I'll just buy a couple more of the potf jawas with the light up eyes and cloth outfit. Those are cartoonish and ridiculous! :P I'm beginning to think Hasbro isn't cheap, they're just insane lol.

Jaff
07-17-2003, 12:05 PM
all I can say is ...

Garindan

Who cares about the others!!

DarthBrandon
07-17-2003, 12:08 PM
Anyone notice the difference in color on Obi-Wan's hands compared to his face, just plain awful quality control IMO.

hamsterboy
07-17-2003, 02:25 PM
Why on Earth do we need another Obi-Wan? What's wrong with the first two? From now on,the only Obi-Wan I want to see,should be from the Prequels. It wasn't mention but I like the Biker Scout. I will give them credit for doing this. Makes up for those of us who didn't get one at Target.

plasticfetish
07-17-2003, 03:21 PM
... remember when they showed dooku, his body color was different than his head color
Which is why for me it's always gonna be an "I'll wait and see what it looks like in the store" kind of deal.

... but who really wants them?
Mmm, maybe me ... for whatever reason, I've taken a pass on every other Obi-Wan. If this one looks solid once it's released, I may buy it.

Ook
07-17-2003, 09:03 PM
That Obi-wan's great. It actually looks like Guinness. I'll junk my old one for that one!

The Snoot is cool. Aliens are always my fave. :)

Plastic Jawas? No.

tagmac
07-17-2003, 09:46 PM
Garindan is gonna end up going the way of either Skiff Lando or the Ewoks - low production/early cancellation or 1 per case. Get ready to pay ridiculous prices for this one.

derek
07-17-2003, 11:39 PM
Garindan is gonna end up going the way of either Skiff Lando or the Ewoks - low production/early cancellation or 1 per case. Get ready to pay ridiculous prices for this one.

actually i see him as the "ponda baba" of this wave, which i think is a pretty good figure, but warmed shelves for years at wal-marts across my state. i see Garindan doing the same thing.

and this looks like a three figure wave, so i'll wager there will be 2 of each figure per case.:)

Doc Brown
07-18-2003, 12:38 AM
If for some reason I end up having to buy a case of these I'm going to melt down the ridiculous jawas and use them as doorstops. lol

jpak001
07-18-2003, 01:19 AM
I dig these Jawas. At first I wasn't so sure about them not having cloth outfits. But after checking them out a few times, I think they have a cool look, and actually look more movie acurate than the old one IMO (with the pointy hoods and all).

The Ben and Garindan look great to me. I'll probably end up getting a Garindan and using his cloak for my Jedi Luke, and use the rest of his costume for a custom Imperial.

gtrain29
07-19-2003, 08:29 PM
Garindan rocks!!! That one totally caught me by surprise as I had heard no rumors of it before. Looks great!! Doubt it'll ever make it to shelves in my lifetime, though.

I've always been a fan of the little guys, but the lack of effort on these 6" figures is getting ridiculous. I mean how hard would it be to put leather hoods on the ewoks like they did with Wicket, or cloth cloaks on the Jawas. It's not like they have to build a huge elaborate outfit! The real clothing is one of the main things that makes the 12" line cool.

Obi-Wan looks okay. Appears that they finally fixed the brown eye problem the old one had. However, since everyone just got done voting the previous 12" Obi-Wan as their favorite figure, it seems pointless to make one that is only slightly (if that) better. I doubt many people will be interested.

I think it would have made a lot more sense and been better economically to condense these waves into one with Lando, AT-ST driver, Garindan, and maybe the Biker scout since there seems to be plenty of interest in that one. Then scrap or redo the ewoks and jawas to make them acceptable quality for collectors. I'm so fed up with this that I wouldn't mind getting 1 wave a year as long as the figures are new and decent quality. I guess I'll be hunting for an impossible to find Garindan as the rest of the group sits on shelves -- if they ever make room with all the previous waves and rehashes piling up there.

Exhaust Port
07-19-2003, 10:02 PM
I agree with the majority here, the Garindan looks great. It will probably be the only one of the three figures to be joining the collection.

InsaneJediGirl
07-20-2003, 09:13 PM
Not really a 12" collector but I like the Obi-Wan and Garindan.The Jawas just look..scary.More so in those plastic molds.They could have re-released the 96 ones and I would have been happy.Those light up eyes are cool:D

jedibear
08-11-2003, 12:49 AM
I saw these when I was down at ComicCon.

They looked a little on the prototype side to me (whick could explain the EpOne cloak on the Old Ben and the cheesy look to the jawas)

I liked Garindan alot. Dark, mysterious...good detailing right down to the comlink he betrays our heros with.

Old Ben looked okay. I don't know. I understand (but don't necessarily agree with) Hasbro's logic of re-introducing core characters every now and again in the basic figure line (epsecially if it's been awhile since the collection has seen the character and Hasbro wants to introduce it to a new generation of collectors) but I think renintroducing them too often in the 12" line is a waste of the collector's time. I'd rather see more effort put into new releases...

The jawas....um...like the earlier one better. The soft goods worked really well and the light up eyes were cool too.

JEDIpartner
11-26-2003, 01:14 PM
As a fan of the little Jawas, I was a little disappointed with the new ones. It really stinks that the entire sculpt was fashioned as if this as from the 3 3/4" line. I also am not a fan other way they did their eyes. It appears, in all of the pictures, that the eyes portrude about a centimetre or so out of the black part. I think these would have been better if the eye had been recessed a bit.

Oh, well... nice going, Hasblah.

Doc Brown
11-26-2003, 05:50 PM
I agree. The older POTF jawas were much better. What is the point if it doesn't have cloth clothing. It's just a lousy atriculated statue. :P I can see doing it for things that have fur (i.e. ewoks) because that is tough to make smaller. Just hasbro being cheap again, what else is new lol

Turbowars
11-26-2003, 06:51 PM
When you break down and get them, just look at them from a distance. Kind of like a Monet painting.:p

Turambar
11-26-2003, 11:52 PM
I certainly won't waste a penny on those cheap pieces of garbage! they are certainly one of the biggest embarrassments to the 12" line that is so inconsistent. every time it looks like the line is on the up and up, they do something like this. It's bad enough having an old kenobi rehash, but then to throw in 2 cheaply done statues! On the bright side, I guess I'll save some money only needing the garindan.

JediTricks
11-26-2003, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I'm glad I'm sticking with my electronic 12"-scale Jawas from 6 years ago.

Turbowars
11-26-2003, 11:58 PM
Though we really didn't need another Ben, he really is a nice upgrade. The head sculpt is the best likeness to date. But like you said the Jawa's are crap. Garindan is awesome, I guess in every case there's only one good one in the batch.

2-1B
11-27-2003, 12:13 AM
I'm happy with my "lightup eye" version of awhile back as JT said. The cloth on that one is pretty nice IMO. :)

Old Fossil
11-28-2003, 07:07 AM
Man, I suppose I'm the only one excited about all three figures in this wave! I never got the POTF2 Jawa, even when it sat on clearance for months...just something about that sculpt that didn't jive. I really dig the sculpt on these new Jawas. And of course my excitement about Garindan is a given! But what I'm really looking forward to is the new Ben. As Turbo said, it's the best likeness to date of the old hermit, and the robes...well, they look like they flow better, if you take my meaning. Then again, I'm a sucker for the old Ben character in any incarnation...nostalgia, I guess!

Turbowars
11-28-2003, 09:40 AM
Man, I suppose I'm the only one excited about all three figures in this wave! I never got the POTF2 Jawa, even when it sat on clearance for months...just something about that sculpt that didn't jive. I really dig the sculpt on these new Jawas. And of course my excitement about Garindan is a given! But what I'm really looking forward to is the new Ben. As Turbo said, it's the best likeness to date of the old hermit, and the robes...well, they look like they flow better, if you take my meaning. Then again, I'm a sucker for the old Ben character in any incarnation...nostalgia, I guess!As much as I would like the Jawsa made differently, I kind of like them and the other 2 in the wave are great!

JediTricks
11-29-2003, 01:33 AM
The POTF2-era CS Jawa looks much better once you take it out of the box and adjust his hood forward. You can't see the face wraps at all, only the lit eyes, way more realistic shape to the whole thing. The way it was packaged in there really hurt how this one sold, I think. I got 2 on clearance, the first one was a risk at first until I opened it, then I went back and grabbed the last one they had.

Turbowars
12-04-2003, 08:02 PM
I just picked up this wave from EE today for 59. 99. That's 20 a figure! TRU can't beat that, because they will never get them in, or I will never be there when they do! I'm very happy with the 3 of them. I talked some smack about the Jawas, but they are cool in a way I guess. The eyes do suck though.

bobafrett
12-04-2003, 11:50 PM
I just picked up this wave from EE today for 59. 99. That's 20 a figure! TRU can't beat that, because they will never get them in, or I will never be there when they do! I'm very happy with the 3 of them. I talked some smack about the Jawas, but they are cool in a way I guess. The eyes do suck though.

I preordered mine from EE, and I just checked the site, they say they are being "processed" which means I should be getting them before Christmas.

Now I just wish I hadn't held back on the Biker Scout wave, as I have yet to see anything from that wave at stores, and EE has sold out, in fact I don't even see that wave listed anymore.

Turambar
12-14-2003, 07:59 AM
Does everyone know that Entertainment Earth has the Garindan wave in stock, now. I broke down and ordered it as I fear never seeing it on the shelves.

derek
12-14-2003, 08:50 AM
i ordered mine and it shipped on monday of last week. it's kinda a lame wave, but i didn't want to risk missing out on it, like i did with the lando wave.

bobafrett
12-14-2003, 09:15 AM
Just got mine in from EE yesterday. Not really impressed with the new Obi-Wan ot the Plastic Jawa's. Garindan, however, kicks major butt. If I find one at retail, I'll pick one up to open!

Turambar
12-20-2003, 12:53 PM
Due to the scarce appearances of the Lando wave, and the complete absence of the Ewok wave, I got the Garindan wave from EE. Here is my review:
Obi-Wan: I debated for a while on whether to open it or just get rid of it. Eventually I decided the likeness to Alec was slightly better than the CS version, so I opened. The disrespect hasbro shows for 12" collectors is obvious here with the cheap unpainted lightsaber, the reissue of the incorrect silver belt buckle from the 1st CS version, and the lack of brown undergarments. The cloak, outergarments, brown boots, likeness, and articulation are all plusses, however. I think this may be the first 12" rehash that is actually an improvement over the original issue. I still don't feel this was a necessary figure as most people were pleased with the first version. Also, anyone looking to make this figure accurate will need both this and the 2nd CS version with the correctly painted saber & gold belt buckle + the brown undergarments to create a complete & accurate Old Ben Kenobi.

Jawas: I cannot even look at these disgraceful pieces of trash. In these plastic molded unarticulated statues, Hasbro shows its utter disdain for the 12" collector and its eagerness to close down this line. If you can get Garindan by other means, do not buy this! Their every bit as bad as the photos showed them to be.

Garindan: Stupendous! Fabulous! Every thing a 12" figure should be! I'll admit, this wasn't the toughest figure to make, but it was done perfectly! Whatever sculptor created this should be in charge of every figure. This is the best figure since the bounty hunters IMO! Perfection! Too bad the long rumored Hammerhead figure didn't come with this wave to make it worth our while. One good figure is probably not enough to save this wave.

derek
12-20-2003, 03:34 PM
i got this wave in the mail yesterday, and despite all the crap hasbro has given us over the years, i've never been tempted to quit collecting all together untill now....and it's al because of that damn obi-wan and jawas.

obi wan is just horrible. there are elements of the figure that are OK, like the head sculpt....it really is very good, but the paint job is terrible. the white robe is made out of a thinner cloth, but is way too big. apparently hasbro used the same pattern for the bigger HOF body and didn't bother to make a new pattern for the smaller CC Joe body they used on this figure. the robe is nice, but it too is just too big.

and the thing i can't beleive...this figure has no pants. he has brown plastic legs!!! how cheap can a company be? i really hope hasbro goes bankrupt and a company who actually cares about star wars and it's loyal customers picks up the rights to make the toys. and i can't say how much the jawas stink. why dosen't hasbro just give up making cloth clothes and make 12 inch roto cast figures like toy biz has.....another company i despise!

Wampa
12-21-2003, 09:35 AM
Wow, another threat to quit collecting. :rolleyes: The fact of the matter is, all you grown men who act like children every time a figure is released really do need to quit. If the thought of Hasbro figures just repulses you then dont buy anymore!!! Invest your money into mutual funds and IRA's. Then your anxiety may settle a bit. All of you who say your going to quit collecting will be the first in line when a new wave is shipped, so stop whining. :cry: Look at this from Hasbros point of view, they read these forums. They hear you moan and cry about a drought of figures and when they release something its immediately shot down. This whole wave is great and I appreciate Hasbro for allowing the release of these figures!!

Turbowars
12-21-2003, 01:30 PM
LOL Wampa. That's just the way it is here at good old SSG. I think one of my 1st posts sounded a lot like yours. Sure we cry and complain about this stuff, but that's how it is. I like the wave. The Jawa's need some help, but I like them. One of the things I think Hasbro assumes, is that we don't open these 12" figures. So way not remove Bens pants? That sounded bad. Maybe when Hasbro makes all the figures like the new SA clone we will stop crying, but then again we complained that he doesn't have a foot peg hole. The 12" line does need help and making non cloth figures such as the Jawas isn't the way to do it. I do have these 3 figures in my collection so I guess that means I like them. Most of the EP2 12" weren't so lucky:classic: .

Turambar
12-21-2003, 02:13 PM
Although a lot of people here seem to cry and buy with the 12" line, it appears a lot of people have quit on the line. As evidence, only TRU carries the line these days, and still the figures are collecting dust on the shelves. So, I think hasbro should work on improving the line if they have any interest in continuing it. Since we haven't heard any rumors for new waves, though, I am beginning to get worried.

plasticfetish
12-21-2003, 06:54 PM
They hear you moan and cry about a drought of figures and when they release something its immediately shot down. This whole wave is great and I appreciate Hasbro for allowing the release of these figures!!
Yep, well ... just because they hear people complain about bad distribution, doesn't mean that any old P.O.C. that hits the shelves should be dipped in gold and worshipped. You like 'em all, that's great ... you're happy. Other people that have invested themselves and their money in this particular facet of the hobby are less impressed with what's being produced, and don't have a problem with voicing their humble opinions. Not everything that Hasbro puts on the shelves is "shot down", mostly just those items that don't meet the standards of what is obviously a more particular group of collectors. As I've read in this thread so far, the Jawas suck, Obi-Wan has a great head sculpt but they've cheesed the rest of him and Garindan is really great. Looks like a pretty balanced range of praise and criticism to me.

With that said, I can't wait to pick up Garindan. I haven't really wanted a 12" figure since Dooku ... this one I'm really excited about. I'm sorry to hear that Obi-Wan isn't top notch. (Oh, well.) The choco-Jawas aren't for me, but I suppose that means more for other people.

derek
12-21-2003, 08:03 PM
Wow, another threat to quit collecting. :rolleyes: The fact of the matter is, all you grown men who act like children every time a figure is released really do need to quit. If the thought of Hasbro figures just repulses you then dont buy anymore!!! Invest your money into mutual funds and IRA's. Then your anxiety may settle a bit. All of you who say your going to quit collecting will be the first in line when a new wave is shipped, so stop whining. :cry: Look at this from Hasbros point of view, they read these forums. They hear you moan and cry about a drought of figures and when they release something its immediately shot down. This whole wave is great and I appreciate Hasbro for allowing the release of these figures!!

i wish i was as much a tool or sheep for hasbro as you are wampa, but the fact is, i've already quit buying most hasbro products. i quit the small figures last year and haven't looked back. i wish i could just blindly love crap like the new 12" obi wan or jawas and just thank hasbro for letting me buy their garbage, but even i have some standards. these 3 figures really suck. they suck so bad i just sat there looking at them and for the first time wondered why i buy this crap. they suck so bad, i'm gonna box them up and send them back. i see products put out by blue box and dragon and really appreciate the attention to detail those companies give each figure, and then hasbro gives us two plastic jawas and an obi wan with a horrible paint job, brown plastic legs and a robe and cloak that would be too big on the rancor and you give me financial advice because i expressed my opinion? give me a break!

JediTricks
12-22-2003, 04:16 AM
I also have completely stopped buying 12" of late, and seem to have nothing to entice me back in now that I now about how lame "dirty-legs" Obi-Wan came out. I also have stopped being a 4" figure completist since Saga came around, and buy NO multiples of any figures anymore. Heck, I even rip open all my cards at the Hasbro symbol. :D

Darth Christopher
12-22-2003, 02:27 PM

Gee Wampa, you must work for HASBEEN, I mean HASBRO! Adult collectors buy the 12" line because many of us were fond of Kenner's original 12" line as kids. So we have some entitlement to complain if we don't like current trends with the line. It's too bad Kenner is no longer around. At first I was disappointed to see the logo changed from Kenner to Hasbro when the Episode 1 figures came out. But with today's crap, it gives me an excuse to not be a completionist. I can simply say I have the complete Kenner line of Star Wars 12" figures, but NOT Hasbro's (even though there was some crap in the so-called Kenner line Hasbro put out).

I don't want the 12" line to end. I still want more 12" cantina aliens, Jabba the Hutt aliens, ESB medical droids, Imperial Dignitaries, etc. I guess it's a blessing in disguise to not pick up every figure anymore, since closet space is limited. But can you imagine the discussions at Hasbeen, "We could make a 12" Jawa/Gonk Droid 2-pack, but nah! Let's just make 2 Jawa statues instead, save some money!"

I wrote an open letter to Hasbro over in Rebelscum's 12" forum. I'm trying to use reverse psychology and sarcasm in hopes Hasbro fixes the line, if Hasbro really reads these forums like you say.

Wampa
12-22-2003, 02:38 PM
Pretty funny letter.

Ook
01-26-2004, 03:15 AM
Man, I'm lovin the Snoot Man! Got Garindan the other day from OMG (http://www.ohmygodcheapnewfiguresonline.com). I'm all worked up over finally getting a new 12" alien from Mos Eisley. :D He's very cool; I'm quite pleased with him.

I need to get to work on a cantina booth to seat about four 12" mooks. I've been wanting to do that for some time, but rarely get around to crafty projects.

plasticfetish
02-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Finally spotted these 3 figures at TRU today...
No big surprise, Obi-Wan is really disappointing in person. I didn't really scrutinize the thing, but the head and maybe just the way it's painted makes it look wrong. It looks cheap. The Jawas are actually decent looking for what they are, but I'm still not a fan of the all plastic Jawa. I would have rather had them focus their all plastic Jawa making energy on the 3 3/4" line.

Garindan looks good, but out of the 3 that I saw, they were all packaged poorly. The clothes are either all folded oddly, or that stupid wire around his neck pulls the hood all tight and funny. I really wanted a clean boxed version of this, but I'm not sure that it's going to happen.

Jayspawn
02-07-2004, 11:33 PM
I finally saw these today at TRU as well. The 12" Obi-Wan is disapointing. The likeness and the look of the outfit isnt too appealing.

Exhaust Port
02-21-2004, 03:36 PM
Well this wave made a brief appearance here but all that was left was Obi-Wan and man does he look like the walking dead. It appears that Hasbro decided to save some money by not puting any pigment in his skin. He looks a bit creepy.

Jaff
03-05-2004, 04:19 PM
I finally got the new Garindan (through a dealer) today, and I must say that I am very dissapointed in this new 12". The Black cape is the same cape that came with the Luke Jedi (FAO version). The body is the Death Star Trooper, and the only part of the 12" that is new is the head. The worst part is that since they used the Luke cape it's too short for the figure, and that means that the robes do not reach the feet like they were in the movie. Come on Hasbro, the 12" line had a standard of quality. What is going on with your last two waves of figures.

Ook
03-07-2004, 05:30 AM
Hm, I don't own that Luke, but when I asked about it, I was told it's not the same cloak.

i just recieved my garinden in a trade this weekend and they are different cloaks, the garindens is much lighter grade material, and is smaller mainly because the garinden is smaller. (http://forums.rebelscum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=38;t=000670;p=1#000 001)
It is too short, though. :(