PDA

View Full Version : Shatterpoint and EPIII(HEAVY SPOILERS)

Bosskman
07-17-2003, 06:10 AM
This thread will contain HEAVY SPOILERS from the Shatterpoint Clone Wars novel so stay back if you don't want to be spoiled.
Last chance.

Bosskman
07-17-2003, 06:22 AM
OK here's my theory:

It goes like this. Remember in ESB when Yoda says: "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack."? Well in Shatterpoint, Depa Biliba (who has gone crazy, or "sane" as she puts it) come to the conclusion that the Jedi cannot be Jedi if they are involved in the Clone Wars because, in order to participate in the war, they have to be what they are not. ("We're keepers of the peace, not soldiers") Also, if the Jedi sit back and do nothing about the war, they are also being some thing they are not - standing by doing nothing when people are in trouble. Either way, the Jedi have already lost. Mace comes to the same conclusion at the end of the book. I know this is just an EU novel and all that junk, but I wonder if ep III will sorta use this theory as a base. I mean, most of us think that the Jedi make a heroic stand against the seperatists, but when you think about it, don't the seperatists need the Jedi too. I mean, a lot of them are being manipulated and probably have good motivations. Shouldn't the Jedi actually be neutral? But how can they be? "The dark side clouds everything." Maybe the Jedi don't need some sorta scandal to bring them down, the order was defeated on Geonosis. No matter what they do in the war they "cease being Jedi" BECAUSE of the war. Vader just kills the few Jedi who remain after the Clone Wars. Just something my sick mind cooked up.

Darth Spectre
07-17-2003, 11:01 AM
I think there could be a lot of truth in that idea. That the Jedi have already lost no matter what, not just because of the philosophical reasons given, but simply because they did not see Palpatine for what he was before it was too late. The "Only using the Force for defense, never attack" statement is another one of those great lines of Lucas that sounds great, but the films don't really back that up entirely. I mean, Luke really attacked Vader 1st in Empire as Obi Wan & Anakin did with Dooku in AOTC. To me, it is like the "once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny" quote. Because based on that statement, Luke should be doomed because of how he gave in to the dark side to defeat Vader in ROTJ.

TheDarthVader
07-17-2003, 01:36 PM
Sounds good to me. But Mace says that not knowing that clone troopers are on the way. The clones are their soldiers and the jedi are the leaders (generals etc). (General Kenobi) I believe the Jedi will fight when they have no other choice, as in this case. They have to fight against the dark side. This is not bad for a jedi, as every jedi does this at least once in their life-time.

AndyW
07-17-2003, 05:08 PM
I read shatterpoint over two days last weekend, fantastic stuff, and I loved the insights Mace's Journals gave to this conflict as a whole. The references to the dark that has clouded their vision, and the fact that they can't use the force in the ways that they should. They all see this impending doom, yet they have become so bogged down in matters of politics and service that they are unable to act upon it.

To be honest, even in Ep2 we didn't learn a damn thing about Mace, and this book has done what Lucas was unable to cover. His experiences on Harun Kal (spelling?) left him seemingly shell shocked, and I thought his insights on the events on Geonosis were facinating.

As for what this means for Ep3, well, I would say that we already have a distinct sense of the Sith's deception, and the way events will swallow them up. They believe the threat is from the separatists yet the wars conclution is already set in stone and they are surrounded by enemies.

Facinating stuff this eh :D