PDA

View Full Version : Nananananananana... Batman!

Pages : [1] 2

Eternal Padawan
07-17-2003, 08:09 AM
SDCC pics are coming in and despite the obvious lack of articulation ( anything less than Marvel Legends 30+ points of articulation is lacking in my book now. Toybiz has permanently raised the bar) these things are looking pretty sweet.

I especially liked the Mr Freeze and Joker figs. Killer Croc is okay. Robin and the ONE Batman figure are cool. All the variant Batmen of course, are lame as lame can be. Obviously Mattel didn't learn anything from Hasbro. Either that or DC/WB/AOL are insisting that Mattel make tons of Bat-variations. I see peg warmers down the road. ( Sigh)

The only way these things could be sweeter was with ...I dunno...more articulation? Those Mattel execs will all be kicking themselves after they hear the phrase "These things are cool, but not as cool as Marvel Legends." about a thousand times.

In fact, I wouldn't be suprised to be seeing more articulation in figures down the road, especially when they get into making the rest of the DC Universe.

What do you guys think?

jpak001
07-17-2003, 11:22 AM
I remember saying awhile ago that I thought other toy companys would start adding more articulation after seeing ToyBiz's success.

Well so far that really hasn't happened. There have been a few that have improved, but not nearly as much as I would like....

I'm not a huge Batman fan these days, but I do like the look of the new Mattel figures (except the silly Batman variations). I might get a couple just to stand up with my small collection of DC direct figures (just for old times sake).

Now if they had Marvel Legends style articulation, I would definitely get at least a few. No question about it.

Eternal Padawan
07-17-2003, 01:31 PM
I keep having visions of sweet Legends style versions of Deathstroke the Terminator and all the Titans like Cyborg, Changeling, Raven and the rest.

I hope at least, that Mattel will stick to the MOTU casepack theory and give us three cool Batmans and only one Variation per case instead of making the only one anyone wants the hard one to find. Typical Mattel blundering.

jjreason
07-17-2003, 03:24 PM
The first wave of Mattel Batman figures has landed up here. I had a good long look at the Zipline Batman (most basic of the lot) and put it down. If I could have bought the Robin and Joker to go with him, I likely would have shelled out, but I'm not getting involved in a big search game for the other figures. All the other Batman variations, deluxe and basic - sucked.

JediTricks
07-17-2003, 07:55 PM
I bought Battle Armor Batman and later Zipline Batman as soon as I found 'em, but the $9 price tag at TRU was a sting. The sculpts are very nice, the articulation is ok for what it is but deserves at least 4 more points to be "good" and at least 26 total to be "great". The cape fabric is t-shirt quality which turns me off, especially since it runs into a rubbery plastic section of cape/cowl which doesn't match - Armor Bats' cowl is brown, so it doesn't match the black fabric of the cape.

Armor Bats is surprisingly not bad considering he's not traditional colors, he's not bright or garish, his colors are black with brown, the colors of a bat - and his batsymbol and belt are silver. Armor accessories are lame though, and body is identical (except for belt and head) to Zipline.

Zipline Bats is traditional dark gray w/ black and probably the best mainstream Batman figure ever. I'm not counting the DC Direct one because it isn't mainstream market. Zipline is a cool figure but could be so much more articulated. Comes with a batarang tied to a yellow batrope (which can be easily disconnected from the included bat-hook missile) and another one that's the handle for the zipline wheel that can be removed from that and used as a regular batarang, that's 2 batarang accessories (the same one twice, just used differently) in this set, a good start. There's also a missile-launcher which Mattel claims is the batarang in the set, but it's your average oversized spring-loaded missile launcher.

In the first wave, Mattel has done 9 Batman variations including deluxe & sculpted-to-mini-vehicles, 1 short-packed Robin, and 1 Joker (Joker's a cool fig, but I didn't buy him). The stuff shown at SDCC seems to be more garish Batmen and more big accessories, not a good sign for this line. But at least we got a good Batman fig finally.

Eternal Padawan
07-17-2003, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I would like to pose Batty swinging through the air or crouching on a building or maybe in a full on Neal Adams dead sprint, tossing a batarang, but with mister Four Horsemen stiff limbed Batman, he's only good for standing around on a shelf. I'll probably pick him and Robin and the rogues up, but I'll be hoping for a better one down the road.

jjreason
07-19-2003, 08:57 PM
They had the Joker figure out today, it's not bad. Again, lacking in articulation, but a good likeness. I came a little closer to buying it with the Zipline batman, but held off. That Batman figure is growing on me.

El Chuxter
08-08-2003, 04:15 PM
So far, I've got Zipline Bats, Joker, and Robin, but haven't opened any yet. They look cool, but I haven't got room for them. I could do without Joker's garish neon gun, though.

The variant Batmen look surprisingly decent after years of "Neon Armor Skateboarding Scuba Batman" from Hasbro, but I don't plan to get any (barring great clearance prices).

I found the two two-packs yesterday and was sorely disappointed. Superman is laughing at something, and Nightwing may be the worst adaptation of that character yet. :(

JediTricks
08-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I spotted those 2packs as well. Supes' face is way cartoony, but he does have ankle articulation which made me think twice before putting it back.

Haven't seen Robin at all yet, very disappointing because I went through around 8 cases-worth of figures at my local WM (they had 'em on an endcap that nobody had seen yet) and came up dry.

El Chuxter
08-08-2003, 04:39 PM
Haven't seen Robin at all yet, very disappointing because I went through around 8 cases-worth of figures at my local WM (they had 'em on an endcap that nobody had seen yet) and came up dry.

He must be extremely shortpacked, since I've seen probably 150+ total basic figures at various stores in the past couple of weeks, and only found one Robin. He's reminding me of those Marvel Legends chase figures. (Anyone found Elektra yet? And if you have, have you seen more than one? Didn't think so. I'm not even gonna hold my breath for Giant Man.)

At least we have the promise of villains in this line, and I'd love to see decent figures (unlike those TRU multi-pack abominations) of supporting characters like Jim Gordon, Alfred, etc.

But most of all, I want a Hush figure!!

JediTricks
08-08-2003, 05:09 PM
Actually, I've seen maybe a dozen or so Elektras, but that figure looks kinda blocky so left it. Robin, on the other hand, I've seen none of and wasn't sure he was out at all until right now - he's way harder to get than Zipline Bats. Sucks too because Tim Drake Robin is one of my favorite Batman characters and this one looked pretty sharp.

BTW, what was with those dippy Supes/Bats communicators? :D That's not a great accessory.

jpak001
08-08-2003, 07:42 PM
I bought the zipline Batman too. Looks nice, seems to be the plastic version of Jim Lee's Batman. Ditch the ridiculous accessories (keep the batarangs), and he looks good. I have him hanging out on the Marvel Legends punisher stand, looks pretty sweet that way. Only thing I'm bummed about on this fig is the half rubber half fabric cape.... just make it a whole rubber one for pete's sake!

Jeditricks, was that the Porter Ranch WM? I went through a huge endcap there looking for the Robin......... nada. I did find one Joker in that search, but thought he was pretty weak looking so I put him back......

I've also noticed that at TRU they have a 12" Mattel Batman that looks exactly like the zipline Batman sculpt & colors (but with much better accessories). This guy seemed pretty cool, his utility belt pouches open to reveal some sort of electronics (or something). Very neat, but IIRC it was $29.99 = OUCH!!!

JediTricks
08-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Nope, Azusa WM. I guess WMs across the southland got Batty recently. Saw a bunch of Jokers at this store, but he doesn't do it for me so wasn't the goal. Seeing a lot of the deluxe figures too, not that great IMO.

You saw the 12" Bats?!? Oh man, I gotta track that sucker down!

jjreason
08-12-2003, 10:51 AM
Well I lucked out and found the Boy Blunder today. Last figure on the peg, the only reason I looked that far back is because I wanted another peak at Zipline (he's been sold out at my other 2 stores since release). Finally, I found Zipline 2nd from the back, and low and behold there was Robin. The figure's not bad, though it has "Cartoony Face" syndrome - and frosted hair tips!!!! How 2002....... :D . Id sink to auctioning him off, but his package is c8-9 at best (2 white spots and one minutely creased corner). Maybe I'll wait and see what the 2nd wave looks like and decide whether or not Im going to pursue the ones I like.

Anyone found any of the JLA figures yet? Are they retail ones or DC Direct? Miranda would like a Wonder Woman figure, but she's not been released in the new Justice League (cartoon) ones, and the Kingdom Come one is 23 bucks up here. Not bloody likely.

DarthBrandon
08-12-2003, 12:05 PM
Anyone found any of the JLA figures yet? Are they retail ones or DC Direct? Miranda would like a Wonder Woman figure, but she's not been released in the new Justice League (cartoon) ones, and the Kingdom Come one is 23 bucks up here. Not bloody likely.

I found all the Justice League figures except Hawkgirl, I picked up Wonder Women last week here in S.J., and if I spot another she's for Miranda.

P.S. you really should pick up the boy blunder, he's a really cool figure.
I picked him up today along with the Joker, Zipline Batman, and the Sups /Bats two-pack (the other day). Superman will grow on you, I can tell you that. Brandon hasn't stopped playing with any of them.

El Chuxter
08-12-2003, 01:14 PM
There will be a Hush figure (from DC Direct)!!!

:D

http://www.americandreamcomics.com/index.php?itemid=1702&catid=10

jjreason
08-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Man, that BatMan figure looks ready to open up a can all over the bad guys! :cool:

JediTricks
08-13-2003, 12:01 AM
JL Hawkgirl was supposed to be Diamond exclusive but seems to have ended up in the ether. I didn't pick up WW in the JL line but I've seen her several times. I did pick up armor GL, Supes, Batman, and non-armor Flash though when Target had 'em $1 off last month; picked up the Javelin 7 last week - cool toy, comes off boring at first (especially the blank cockpits) but grew on me pretty quick.

If you don't want that Robin, I'll take him. ;)

That Jim Lee Bats figure looks like an overstuffed sausage. :D I think I actually prefer Mattel's Batman figure.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-13-2003, 01:16 AM
I picked up the zipline batman, robin and Joker late last week at the wally world i was stocking at. They had them on the very top shelf and i asked an employee to see if they had any Jokers or Robins (i had been able to knock a zipline batman off the top using that handy LOTR Sting sword!) and they had both! I didn't open them, but i'm tempted to buy another zipline to open, but only if i can find another Joker. hehehehehehe To me, that gray (grey?) batman IS the definitive batman. Some random gadgets and the best suit version ever used. I wish Mattel will stop w/ these damned variations (seriously, 4 batmans is plenty mattel; thanks, but i'll pass on the upcoming "Ice Freeze Jungle boogie time travel batman" figure coming up next year.) Gimme more villians, dammit!! Penguin! Mr. Freeze! Riddler! Two-Face!! You're doing great sculpts, just can the batman variations and give more figures!!! :D

Speaking of which, how come nobody who handles superhero figures has ever made a basic Thug figure? Ya know?! Nothing was more irritating growing up then having to use OTHER action figures to fight your superheroes!! Just come out w/ like a 3-pack of random looking thug figures to use and i'll be happy. My friend dave and I have been saying this for years!! MAKE SOME THUG FIGURES, GULDARNIT!! and i'm rambling..... :)

Edit: are the Joker and Robin figures hard to get?!?! I could've sworn the Robin figure was populating shelves around here, though that was nearly a week or so ago.

RooJay
08-21-2003, 08:04 PM
Is it just me, or is it very obvious that figures like Nightwing (sucks that we can only get such an important character to the mythos in a two-pack with yet another craptastic Batman variant :rolleyes: ), Superman (at least the Bats variant he comes with is somewhat excusable) and perhaps even Robin are NOT sculpted by the Horsemen?
Don't get me wrong - they look great! It's just that they look a bit out of place next to Batman and Joker to me.

Of course, I'm just picking nits.

JediTricks
08-22-2003, 10:10 PM
You sure Robin isn't sculpted by the 4horsemen? I can totally see what you mean on the 2 packin figures, but the pics I've seen of Robin look way sharper than Nightwing and Supes (who both suck).

187-Maul
08-22-2003, 10:33 PM
I got the Battle Armor Batman some days ago, pretty good figure IMO, and the color isn't that bad considering it's a "battle armor" version
I'm still going to repaint him though, probably just turn the red/brown into a black, so that I can display him with my repainted LOTDK Bane (see pics of him in the customizing section)
I also gave Bats the Batarang (sp?) that came with the Batman Forever 2-pack Batman & Robin, the size is perfect for him (although it was meant for 3.75 inch figs)

jjreason
08-23-2003, 12:10 AM
The Robin's okay. They don't credit sculpts on the pkg, so I don't know for sure the Horsemen did the sculpt, but he looks like a boy compared to Zipline Batman, in terms of height, musculature, sharpness of facial features, etc - bat that's fine. He IS a boy. Put the toy Robin at 15 or 16 years of age to Batman's 30.

RooJay
08-24-2003, 12:59 AM
You sure Robin isn't sculpted by the 4horsemen?

No, no I'm not, but that's why I said "perhaps". ;)

I haven't managed to actually get ahold of one yet, so I haven't really looked at him up close. He did seem a bit on the tall side for my tastes, but again, I haven't had a chance to examine him closely and compare him to Batman.

LTBasker
11-21-2003, 05:03 PM
Sorry if diggin this thread up is a bad idea but think it's pointless to make a new one. I finally found Zipline Batman at my Wal-Mart and this figure is great. We went from Hasbro, to JL being Hasbro upgrades in detail, to this.. and Mattel is close to competing with Marvel figs that's for sure. The detail and articulation in this Batman I was heavily suprised. Heck I've been able to pose him on ML Punisher's alley stand nicely..

It may not be much competition for Marvel figs, but it's finally put DC figs back into a hopeful future. I mainly wanted to pick up this fig since it is basically the suit from the Hush series that I've gotten to read. I'm planning on picking up Robin, and the Nightwing pack and Supes pack if I find'em.

It's just wonderful seeing Batman figure stand tall in a crowd of Marvel figs. :)

One thing I'd like to do is get another zipline Bats, pry off the plastic cape wrap thing and make a cape that'll wrap around to the front of his torso and then put the plastic thingy back on. That would be great..

Considering the zipeline plaything.. he could've been alot worse. They could've left out the articulation and made him a ziplining statue. Mattel's already smarter than Hasbro. :p

darthzirock
11-25-2003, 03:16 AM
ToyFare #77 (1/2004) has pix of the next wave of Batman 6-inchers from Mattel. Three more ridiculous Batman-in-idiotic-costumes, and a truly wicked looking Killer Croc! Mattel, get with the program! Those Batman rehashes aren't selling while Zipline Batman disappears because no one wants Batman in anything but the classic Batsuits! Robin remains scarce, The Joker is next to impossible to get, but all those goofy Martial Arts and Hydro-Suit Bat-figs continue to collect dust because not even the kiddies want Batman unless it's in the classic Bat-costumes! GOT IT??? :frus:

Meanwhile, where in bloody blue blazes are the animated-style Batman & Batgirl 2-packs? I've seen dozens and dozens of those Batman & Nightwing 2-packs rotting on the pegs, with the occasional Batman & Robin, Batman vs. The Joker, and now I'm seeing Batman vs. Two-Face 2-packs. But, no Batgirl sets! I managed to get my Batman vs. Catwoman set early after they were released, but it's still pretty scarce in my neck of the woods! Batgirl's the only one I've still yet to see. :mad:

LTBasker
11-25-2003, 04:14 AM
I think the Batgirl set was canceled, you can get the Batgirl though in a box set with the Rise of Sin Tzu game though. No clue why the Batgirl set was canceled, that Two-Face pack looks stupid.

Star Matt
11-25-2003, 07:53 PM
Mattel has never ever had a grip on how to handle a line. I've heard KIDS looking for hawkgirls, but not finding any. Why? Because she is OBVIOUS scalper material, one per case. Mr. Freeze, who is my FAVORITE batman character, I haven't EVEN seen yet. But what do I see instead of him? TONS OF WHITE BATMAN AND SPIKE BATMAN. NO ONE WANTS THE STUPID BATMAN VARIATIONS, AND NO ONE WANTS TEN BILLION HE-MAN VARIATIONS AND SKELETOR VARIATIONS! Pack some more villians!

JediTricks
11-26-2003, 01:21 AM
Yeah, Mattel seems to be making almost as many screw-ups with this line as Hasbro did when they had it. At least the figures are better, but finding them is still a rump-ache.

Seeing a few Jokers around here, but NO Robins. Spotted a Hawkgirl at, of all places, FAO Schwarz! Shocking.

Oh, and Batgirl also comes in the TRU 4pack where everybody's painted silver. :(

darthzirock
11-26-2003, 02:44 AM
Oh, and Batgirl also comes in the TRU 4pack where everybody's painted silver.

There's yet another Batman TRU 4-pack, this time with one Batman (the one that comes with Nightwing), and repaints of Catwoman (idiotic orange color with black tiger-stripes), The Joker (weird-looking colors) and Two-Face (black & white paint scheme).

Yeah, I've heard about the Batgirl figure ending up as a pack-in with the new video game, "Rise of Sin Tzu." That stinks! I don't play video games! :frus: And I hate that 4-pack with the silver-suited Bat-heroes. What moron came up with that idea? :confused:

So, if Mattel is just gonna muck up the works and run the toy lines into the ground like Hasbro did, why did they even bother?

Oh, and the next wave of Justice League battle-armored figures will feature an armored Wonder Woman, according to ToyFare #77. They even had pictures. I got my Justice League Hawkgirl at Target just last week.

LTBasker
11-26-2003, 12:54 PM
Of course even Marvel's been doing this so it's nothing new (Spider-Man anyone?)

I just don't see how hard it is to understand.

New character = New wants = New money.
How can anything get lost in translation of that? :confused:

Obviously if Mattel were to do highly articulated JL figures, Batman and co. figures and such they would sell. Who wouldn't want a 6" articulated Green Lantern to go against Magneto? :D Who would disagree with a 6" Harley, Catwoman, etc.?

Of course it doesn't help that WB is worthless on promoting anything, at least correctly. Obviously since they don't really promote anything Batman, it's gonna make the toy lines die because people don't know what's going on. Kids aren't gonna have every single link on their computer to look up the upcoming or current assortments. Hell it's a very few people in general that do have all the links.

Ya know JL's doing great in ratings lately due to them really making it darker in it's new timeslot, and hey the people that're mostly watching it now in that timeslot have money! :eek:

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

JediTricks
11-27-2003, 12:12 AM
Hopefully, armor WW won't suck as bad as Mega-Armor everybody. I mean, the first wave of armor figures were fine, they took the regular figures and threw removable stuff on them, but the mega-armor JL figures are weird paintjobs and bonkers armor. How about a villain or 2, or a new Batmobile, or ANYTHING ELSE?!? Yeesh.

LTBasker
11-27-2003, 01:45 AM
Yea the Batmobile would be great to see. One thing I'd really like to see is Savage time altnerate future 4-pack with alternate Batman, alternate Dick Grayson, alternate Barb Gordon and Vandal Savage.

Btw, for those who don't remember them being in it, Dick and Barb were just cameos in the ep, in a pan they can be seen smooching. (Pic attached below)
Their costumes seem like they would make great individual figures though. That would kick butt.

JediTricks
11-29-2003, 12:15 AM
Alternate-timeline Dick & Barb? They can't even get Aquaman or Joker into this line! ;) BTW, I didn't remember seeing 'em in that ep, good eye.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-30-2003, 10:32 PM
Took the advice from a fellow poster and checked a local Meijer store on my way home from a flick tonight and lo'n behold, i found a Mr. Freakin' Freeze!! Not the "chase" figure mind you, but I couldn't care less, he looks better with the glasses! cheers! :D

jjreason
12-01-2003, 02:02 AM
Holy moly, I hadn't even been aware he was coming! Is that part of wave 2? Did it include any other cool figures? I'll check ebay and see if anything has been put up for bids over there yet.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-01-2003, 09:00 AM
JJR- Yeah, i believe it's part of the second wave and IMHO, Mr. Freeze is the best one of the wave since the rest are just yet MORE variations on Batman.

Watch it on e-bay, from what i've seen, folks are asking a ridiculous amount of $$ for ole' Freeze. HH! :D

LTBasker
12-01-2003, 04:35 PM
Picked up the Joker figure a couple days ago, pretty nice figure too. I didn't expect it to have the ball jointed shoulders and wrists like the Bats figure. That was a real plus. So far he's just using his cane, left that huge gun thing in the package. :p

What kicks most though is you have Joker and Batman figures that finally have the ability to melee fight and make it interesting with their articulation.

Now we need Harley and Batgirl. :D

LTBasker
12-02-2003, 11:16 PM
Bummer can't just edit the last post I did. Anyways I found Robin, it's insane. There was a ton of Batmans there, but only one Robin to be found throughout all of them. (And amazingly just sitting there on the front of the peg)

He's actually really a nice figure, looks kinda like Tim Drake does in the current comics. Was suprised with the detail they put in him, and that they kept the same articulation (except waist joint) that they have in the rest of the figures. They really made it blend well with him. Really can't wait to pick up Superman and Nightwing from the 2-packs now!

darthzirock
12-05-2003, 01:23 AM
I've gotta start hitting the odd stores, too, like Kohl's and Aldi's. (We have no Meijer's where I live.)

The JL and Animated Batman figures don't really interest me all that much anymore. The pegs are glutted with them, the newer ones look idiotic, and the Batman 2-packs haven't announced anything new. However, I have started seeing the Superman vs. Lex Luthor JL 2-packs at TRU and Target.

I'll concentrate on the 6-inch Batman line and will hopefully find Mr. Freeze and Killer Croc. I might get the Batman/Superman 2-pack, as I like that version of Batman, but the Batman/Nightwing 2-pack I can live without. If they ever get around to making the other Bat-villains, I'll be grabbing those, but the endless Batman redecos are just insulting to both collectors and the character itself.

El Chuxter
12-05-2003, 01:11 PM
I want to know what genius is in charge of design and distribution of the Batman and JLA figures. Any moron could've learned from Hasbro's mistakes. And there are now so many neon Batmen clogging the pegs that the chances of seeing Killer Croc at retail (much less getting future baddies like Penguin or, well, anyone else) are completely gone. At least (if you're lucky) you have Joker for them to fight. The poor JLA has tons of armor, but no foes. Guess they keep the toy world a little too safe. :)

jjreason
12-05-2003, 05:43 PM
It's really hard for me to fathom, Mattel picking right up where Hasbro let off (too many Batman variations, not enough of anything else). This shortpacking of desirable figures just has to stop. You can't tell me there wouldn't be enough interest in Robin or the Joker to pack them 3 to a case like the regular figures. Go ahead and shortpack variants of the regular figures, for those that want to chase, I don't care about that. I just think the toy companies are alienating potential collectors by making the common figures too hard to get.

With any luck they'll up the numbers of Robins and the villains available in future assortments (I would think a 50/50 split between Batmans and other figures per case would be okay).

Eternal Padawan
12-06-2003, 12:19 PM
It reminds me of the He-man debacle at my local TRU. MOTU has four columns and three rows of pegs, and ALL of them are crammed with Smash Blade He-mans. It's been like that for months. They may as well not even have MOTU in their store....

As for Batman, until they improve on the Articulation of these and future 6" JLA figgies, I'm out. Legends and Muppets are too cool to be wasting my cash on inferior stuff. If I jones for a DC figure I'll hunt down some of them cool new DC Direct figures coming up. Batman! Hush! Whoohoo!

JediTricks
12-08-2003, 01:41 AM
Yesterday, I saw yet ANOTHER friggin' JL sub-line of armor-clad ninnies. This time, the sub-line has different card graphics and I think 2 Batman figures in the same wave differentiated only by their paint and crappy armor (because you can't give most of these JL figures actual accessories since they aren't sculpted to HOLD anything!). Oh, and the cardbacks showed pictures of what appear to be 3 bump-n-go style motorcycles with dedicated (read: non-removable) figures, one of which is The Flash. Why would Flash need a damn bike?

RooJay
12-09-2003, 12:19 AM
Yesterday, I saw yet ANOTHER friggin' JL sub-line of armor-clad ninnies. This time, the sub-line has different card graphics and I think 2 Batman figures in the same wave differentiated only by their paint and crappy armor (because you can't give most of these JL figures actual accessories since they aren't sculpted to HOLD anything!). Oh, and the cardbacks showed pictures of what appear to be 3 bump-n-go style motorcycles with dedicated (read: non-removable) figures, one of which is The Flash. Why would Flash need a damn bike?

That reminds me of that Gundam toy with the robot that comes with a robotic horse - what use would a giant, flying robot capable of space travel ever have for a giant, flying robot horse capable of space travel?! :confused: Is that in case he ever gets tired of flying through space using his own jet-pack?!!!

JediTricks
12-09-2003, 02:47 AM
Fuunsaiki doesn't count, the horse mobile suit (which actually IS piloted by a horse!) actually appears in that Gundam series, G-Gundam, and even transforms into a battle platform. I guess the horse is faster than the mobile suits and not weighed down by weaponry (he can kick hard and stab with his horn though). Basically, it's just a stylistic thing for Master Gundam to ride because he's egotistical. :D And then he gets passed down to Burning Gundam when Master Asia is killed and helps him... once. ;)

jjreason
12-09-2003, 03:45 AM
Hi, Beat the Geeks? Yeah, it's me JJ, I have a guy for you....... :D (kidding, JT, just kidding, Big Fella! *please don't suspend me*)

No Mr. Freeze or any other new Batman figures up here yet.

Eternal Padawan
12-09-2003, 08:55 AM
I'm a turd. I've been seeing all these new Batman variants (like Frosty Beverage Batman) and I thought they were just more cases of the first wave variants. I shoulda been looking for a Mr. Freeze.

RooJay
12-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Fuunsaiki doesn't count, the horse mobile suit (which actually IS piloted by a horse!) actually appears in that Gundam series, G-Gundam, and even transforms into a battle platform. I guess the horse is faster than the mobile suits and not weighed down by weaponry (he can kick hard and stab with his horn though). Basically, it's just a stylistic thing for Master Gundam to ride because he's egotistical. :D And then he gets passed down to Burning Gundam when Master Asia is killed and helps him... once. ;)

Yes, yes...and I'm sure there's someone out there who thinks Flash riding a motorcycle is cool too...

I still see it as being about as cool as Godzilla riding a giant donkey.

JediTricks
12-10-2003, 02:28 AM
Oh come ON! You know that would be funny!!! :D

I can't believe you're judging the realism of a G-Gundam character, not only is the series EU to Gundam, but the show is about mobile suits in wrestling matches complete with costumes. :D :p

Zeus Gundam carries a lightning bolt-shaped hammer, wears roman sandals and armor, a winged crown, has a beard, and rides in a half-horse roman battle chariot!
Grizzly Gundam is dressed like a lumberjack and has axes and a giant chainsaw!
Toro Gundam turns into a giant bull's head!
Pharoh Gundam wears mummy wraps and underneath is dressed like an egyptian and shoots snakes from his hands!
Gundam Rose has a mobile suit butler!
Mermaid Gundam turns into a fish!
Gundam Maxter is wearing a football helmet and pads in a jersey design, and the shoulders of that football pad/jersey turns into boxing gloves for when he strips off his chest armor to show his robot bare muscleman chest! And to add to the ridiculous America stereotypes, he's carrying six-guns and rides a surfboard!
Zebra Gundam is dressed like a zulu warrior complete with spear and shield and zebra-head shoulderpads!
Viking Gundam is dressed like a viking and wears a tiny boat with giant oars!
Ashura Gundam is dressed as Shiva!
Jester Gundam is a clown mobile suit that turns into a top!
Mandala Gundam is a giant bell!
Dark Gundam is a giant Gundam head!
Bolt Gundam is dressed as a cossack!
Nobel Gundam is Sailor Moon!
and last, and possibly most embarassing, Hurricane Gundam is a frelling WINDMILL!!! :crazed:
... and I like exclamation points! :D

RooJay
12-10-2003, 04:28 AM
I wouldn't know G-Gundam from X-Gundam. All I know is that a giant, flying robot riding a giant, flying robot horse seems pretty stupid. About as stupid as the Flash riding a motorcycle, in fact.

...and yes, Godzilla riding a giant donkey would be frikkin' hilarious!

JediTricks
12-12-2003, 01:35 AM
Gundam-X, didn't he grow claws and say "bub!" a lot? ;)

Anyway, my list there should clue even the uninitiated into what's really going on with G-Gundam and its crazy figures. I notice that Bandai hasn't released a Tequila Gundam yet (who is dressed like a Mexican bandito) tho'.

Beast
12-13-2003, 11:35 PM
Well, back to Batman. Not that I collect the line. I figured I'd drop the news since it was released in Toyfare. The news was posted at Action-Figure.com. This is in regards to both the DC Direct (superior DC) figures and the overdone Batman franchise from Mattel. Here's what was revealed. By the way, the Mattel News is just as pitiful. :p

Batman: Hush - DC Direct
Nightwing
Riddler
Harley Quinn
Catwoman
Ivy-possessed Superman
Release date is listed as October.

Dark Knight Returns - DC Direct
Batman
Robin (Carrie Kelly)
Superman
Joker
..all done Frank Miller style!

Batman - Mattel
12 new versions of Batman, Robin, and Nightwing for 2004. As well as a Bruce Wayne figure. As well as a new animated series line.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
12-14-2003, 04:31 AM
I have seen a Batman vs Joker animated 2 pack by Mattel. ON the back were displayed 2 packs only... Batman with Robin, Bats vs. Joker, Bats w Catwoman, etc. Each Batman slightly different. These are similar to the Justice League figures in terms of scale, articulation and overall "look".

12 versions of Bats, Robin and Nightwing...... that likely means 10 new Bats (including Bruce), 1 new Robin, and 1 new Nightwing. Man, it would be too much to ask to have them leave the Robot Armor in the concept room now wouldn't it?

Beast
12-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Pictures have surfaced of the Dark Knight Returns figures. Really nice looking, other then the Joker. Never read the comics, but he looks just awful. But I assume it's character correct, after all it's DC Direct. :)

http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/4415.shtml

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
12-18-2003, 05:44 AM
Joker & Supes look ever so slightly off from how I remember 'em, tho' it's been a while and could be due to the photos angles. I wish these were a little more articulated, and tho' the MSRP ain't even announced yet, it's DCD so I'll say it: a little cheaper. Still, when I saw Bats on figures.com yesterday, I knew they had gotten it right.

jjreason
12-29-2003, 05:13 PM
My GOD those are beautiful. Really beautiful. I'm sold on these, the Carrie Kelly robin is just gorgeous, and Batman is beyond compare. Now I know why I've been waiting for the right Batman figure to come along!

I found a couple of cases of Batman wave 2 at WalMart in Victoria today, and was pleased to see Robin packed in what looked like regular numbers. There appeared to be only basic figures, and they were all evenly distributed.

Killer Croc - maybe a little small, but nice detail.
Zipline Batman - great idea, repacking this one on the manhole cover card
Battle Board Robin - repainted to have a green shirt, but otherwise identical to wave 1's, but now easy to find! Well done, too bad he's not in the red shirt though.
Croc Armor Batman - another "Croc" of crap..... (sorry)
Trap(something) Batman - again, not my cup of tea.

No sight of Freeze, was he to show up in this assortment? He hasn't been on the back of ANY package yet, has he?

Beast
12-29-2003, 05:22 PM
Mr. Freeze was in the assortment before Killer Croc. Looks like they skipped getting any cases with Freeze at your Wal-Mart. Or they already got him in and sold him out. Which means, you'll probably end up having to hit Ebay for him. If the next Asst. is out already. Mattel really needs to get a clue. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
12-29-2003, 05:54 PM
I've fairly much given up on these. Especially since DCDirect is putting out a MUCH better Nightwing as part of it's Hush assortment. Why oh why did DC not give their license to ToyBiz? Comic Partisanship be darned, TB would've put some ever so sweet action figgies.

You can only suck the pegs up with so many pegwarming variations for so long before they dissappear from the collector's eye. Mattel should have realized this after their MOTU line hit rock bottom. Soon Batman and the League will fall victim to the same trap and everyone will scratch their heads and wonder why it didn't do better than when Hasbro was sucking up the line.

Perhaps then Toybiz or Palisades will get a shot and do things right.

As for the DKR figures, I think Miller's take on the Joker was that while he was turned a ghastly shade of white by the chemicals, he was sort of a queen and added the lipstick on his own. And years of therapy had taken away the "permanent" grin. Then when Batty shows up again, jack snaps back into grinning-psychotic-killer mode.

JediTricks
12-31-2003, 01:36 AM
Been seeing 2 new deluxes from the Mattel line, one is a garish Batman with a large drill, the other is a Batman with extendable bat-wings. It looks a little too bright and silvery, but if the part attaches to regular Bats, this could easily be overlooked as that's usually one of my favorite Batman accessories. While I too believe the line is flunking for the same reason as MOTU, I have noticed that this xmas saw a lot of these Batman figures go missing from the shelves.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-31-2003, 02:17 AM
Holy crap; killer croc?!?! I have yet to spot him; probably won't since everywhere i go around here there are full pegs of batman variatons.

Damn, it's irritating. :frus:

jjreason
12-31-2003, 03:25 AM
To respond to JT's comment about the figures leaving the shelves......

They're nice figures. I think kids would really like the looks of them, one Batman "cooler" (more decked out in techno crap = cooler) than the next. I think the line will succeed, likely as long as Hasbro's did - simply because it's Batman. The line is failing us, collectors, because for action figure and comic fans there isn't anything we haven't seen before - or can't get better somewhere else (DC Direct). There's a place for Batman figures like these - in the hands of 8-12 year old kids who want to really play with them. For that reason, it's even more stupid for Mattel to be shortpacking villains and Robin. I don't think kids will shop as dilligently as we might to find these finicky things, and who benefits from ticking off the parents?

I'd really like to hear the theory behind chase figures in this line.

Beast
12-31-2003, 03:36 AM
They 'claim' that female, secondary, and villian figures don't sell. And while there is some truth to that, they sell better then shortpacking them at 1 per case and making them impossible to aquire. Mattel says the same thing about He-Man. And it's simply not true. There's a glut of He-Man's, Skeletors, Batman's all over the place. But you hardly ever see the villians and such.

But look at the TMNT line, they're doing exactly the opposite. They're doing female, secondary, and villian characters up the wazoo. No shortpacking of them either. And the line is red hot, because people can find what they're looking for. It's not a hunt with games and chase BS. It's a decent line, for a good price, with a good character selection, and good case ratios. Mattel could learn a thing or 12. So could Toy Biz, to a lesser extent. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
12-31-2003, 03:47 AM
I notice that the darker-colored Batman variations seem to sell better than the lighter ones, although that could just be a coincidence since the martial arts one is the worst pegwarmer of the bunch and is fairly dark (tho' dopey looking). I also notice that classic Batman is the best seller of the bunch which is good because he's a neat figure with good accessories, while many of the others are kinda weak in the accessories department (this is mirrored by the Justice League line but not by the MOTU line since that line uses accessories to justify the variations). What's my point? I don't remember. :crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-02-2004, 10:53 PM
I headed up to target to get some toys and i walked by the Batman figures and what did i see?!?? packaging i hadn't seen before....with a green claw on the left side of the card..i turned to see.....staring back at me....

ANOTHER DAMNED VARIATION OF BATMAN!! the ENTIRE Killer Croc line has the claws and stuff on it; this is new to me as i thought only KC had the claws on it. Man, i was hella peeved and shocked!! damned mattel; thanks for getting my hopes up for nothing!!! :D

JediTricks
01-03-2004, 04:04 AM
Yeah, that's the packaging I saw on those 2 new deluxes. It slipped my mind, sorry I didn't remember to give warning.

jjreason
01-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Yep. Manhole covers and green everywhere. I found a couple of Batman figures I hadn't seen before at Walmart today - Arctic Armor and Battle Spike Batmen. Im sure this must have been from the case with Mr. Freeze as I think he was on the back of the packages. Of course he was gone. Weird that this little half-wave would show up on the heels of the 2nd full wave. I actually liked Arctic Armor, he was pretty cool. Not cool enough to spend 15 bucks on, but pretty cool nonetheless.

darthzirock
01-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Mattel is just following right in Hasbro's footsteps with this line, the only difference is the sculpting by the Four Horsemen. We're getting tons of Batman figures in ludicrous costume variations, and villains that are short-packed to the point of non-existence. I've found The Joker only three times on the pegs, and maybe four Robin figures. I've yet to see any of the 2nd wave figures, and just recently saw one of the Killer Croc wave Deluxe Batman figs.

I've bought one Joker and one Zipline Batman -- that's it! Mattel can shove their silly Batman rehashes someplace dark, warm, moist, and with plenty of extra space: their brain cavaties.

JediTricks
01-04-2004, 11:42 PM
While I bought a Battle Armor Bats, it was mainly because he was the very first figure from this line that I had scene and there were no Zippys... it helps that his colors are very bat-like, black and dark brown, and his armor is REMOVABLE. I've seen the Joker a lot, though I don't want him so I haven't bothered, and had to do an international trade (thanks again JJ! :D) for Robin as I've only seen him once at retail and that was a mega-pricey comic shop. It's too bad more of these bat-variations aren't a little better articulated or colored or accessorized, they're ok compared to Hasbro's last efforts but should be a lot better and shouldn't be hogging case space from villains and others.

JJ, here in the US, those Arctic and Caramel (spike) Batman figures shipped long before the current wave, they were an authentic Wave 2 and these Croc figures are actually Wave 3.

jjreason
01-08-2004, 10:33 PM
My Walmart has little to none left, but they're only charging 4.92 Canadian per figure! I'll have to wait until Jodi's not looking, but I'm going to get that Arctic Armor jobby. Worth that much for sure!

Beast
02-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Yay. Look, another line that Mattel screwed up on so badly. That stores are starting to not carry it. But just like He-Man, they're going to set up a Collector's Club/Bat-Store. Just like they did with He-Man. Lame, lame, lame. :rolleyes:

Josh from the Legions Of Gotham here, I just want to let everyone at action-figure.com know the our very own Matt MacNabb been talking to the Batman rep over at Mattel and we've found out that Mattel has expressed interest in setting up a collector's club for the comic styled Batman line, so that we can get the toys we want & need. For more news and info visit:
http://batfigures.proboards22.com/index.cgi?board=BatFigs&action=display&num=1075526637

Thank Guys !
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Reefer Shark
02-05-2004, 12:56 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Mattel has already killed this line (and MOTU for that matter).......

The only Batman figure I've found that was worth buying has been the zipline bats. No Robin's, Crocs, Freezes anywhere. And it's just plain ignorance to think that kids wouldn't buy a Robin, or a villan to fight with the multiple batmen figures. But I guess this point has been made many times before :bored: :zzz:

I have found a few Jokers, but it's a crappy figure IMO, and I didn't buy it (waiting for the Hush Joker).

So the Robin's, bat-villans, and MOTU-villans will be scalped for $20+, while the lines die a slow, agonizing death at retail.

Great job Mattel :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
02-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Wow. Just like MOTU, a line folks were excited about, with killer Four Horsemen sculpts, that Mattel completely destroyed. I hope they've learned a lesson. Of course, they should've observed Hasbro's mistakes and known that solid cases of skateboarding Batman in neon urban camo do not sell!!

I've seen Zipline quite a bit; they appear to know he's the only one folks want and have shipped him in multiple waves. I saw Robin once, the Joker about five times, Mr Freeze once, and have yet to see Killer Croc despite thousands of green Batmen on cards that appear to be from the Croc wave.

Batman has a quite bit of name recognition, whereas He-Man isn't quite as well known among "civilians." ;) So maybe if they put the line on hiatus for a few months to a year and come back, doing it right this time, this line could be saved.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Sadly, my dear Chuxter, i don't even know IF i want the line saved as its' not doing anything for me. Don't get me wrong, the figures i've picked up i've been BEYOND pleased with, but there isn't much to the line anymore. I purchased the zipline Batman, which to me at least, is THE definitive batman: a few gadgets, regular costume, that's it. I did pick up Robin, the Joker and i was lucky enough to get a Mr. Freeze, but i have yet to see a Croc and even friends/family who hunt for me from time to time haven't seen him. It's not worth the hassle of having to dig your way through 2095720975027 batman variations like some damned tomb raider in search of the villian/other non-batman figure. Just not worth the hassle. Unless Mattel does some serious revamping, this line is going to die and i'll be the first to jump on its grave. :mad:

El Chuxter
02-05-2004, 03:27 PM
What I meant is they should stop production altogether, give the current product a chance to get clearanced out, wait another few months so the fiasco will be somewhat forgotten in the minds of retailers, then start somewhat fresh, but with more variation and better distribution and case assortments. And definitely more baddies and background characters.

So, assuming there are twelve figures per case, the initial shipments could be two case assortments:
First assortment:
3X Zipline Batman (existing figure from current line)
3X Robin (existing figure)
1X Nightwing (existing figure from the two-pack)
2X Alfred Pennyworth (new figure)
3X Commissioner Gordon (new figure)

Second assortment:
3X Joker (existing figure)
3X Mr Freeze (existing figure)
3X Killer Croc (existing figure)
3X Two-Face (new figure)

In this scenario, I went sorta heavy on Zipline Batman, since there will be people just wanting to get into the line. One Nightwing since there's probably a few folks who would've bought him if he didn't come with a repaint of Ninja Batman, but no more because he pretty much sucks as a figure. This was balanced out by only two Alfreds, since he's an old man figure and Chancellor Valorum would be happy to tell you those don't sell as well. Otherwise pretty even distribution.

Future assortments could fluctuate between more and fewer of these core characters, and could also dispense with the "heroes case" and "villains case" since retailers would be less likely to get two cases to fill shelves unless they're really selling like hotcakes. Villains should dominate (despite the age-old maxim that heroes sell better, no one wants the heroes without plenty of baddies, and Batman has the best rogues gallery around). Batman would have to show up in every case, and you'd need a few Robins, Alfreds, and Jokers every so often to accomodate newbies and kids--these should be mixed between the original sculpts and resculpts that are actually based on something. But just for fun, this could be the next three case assortments, all new figures unless noted:

Assortment 3:
2X Batman (existing Zipline sculpt)
1X Joker (existing sculpt)
3X Riddler
3X Penguin
3X Bane

Assortment 4:
2X Bruce Wayne (and for God's sake, no snap-on armor!)
2X Tim Drake
3X R'as al Ghul
2X Batman resculpt (maybe injured with a sword to go with the R'as)
3X Batgirl

Assortment 5:
1X Batman (original Zipline sculpt)
3X Huntress
2X Two-Face (same sculpt as Wave 2--I think he's more popular than Freeze or Croc)
3X Clayface
3X Mad Hatter (just imagine the Horsemen taking on this character!)

I hope Mattel is reading, and they take this more seriously than Hasbro did when I posted something similar under Dear Hasbro a few years ago.

James Boba Fettfield
02-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Maybe when the new Batman cartoon arrives there will be better toys based off that. I hope at least.

Oh new solo Batman, not a Batman teamed up with goody good losers like Superman and Hawkgirl.

Keep dreaming up lists like that, Chux. You know nobody wants an Alfred figure, everyone wants Skateboarding on the Great Wall of China Time Traveling Batman. Just like nobody wanted to own Ms. Quinn, right? I miss that old Batman animated line.

jjreason
02-05-2004, 05:35 PM
My concern is this: I don't think Mattel didn't learn from Hasbro's mistakes.

Okay, sounds weird, but read it again. I think Mattel is working with the belief Hasbro didn't make any mistakes with the line - they're pretty much copying.

What Hasbro did - hoping to propegate the line with millions of Batmen - worked. Was the Hasbro line unsuccessful? Heck no, there were over 300 figures over however many years. Mattel likely sees that type of case assortments as the road to success.

JediTricks
02-05-2004, 10:40 PM
I think Mattel is completely ignoring what Hasbro did right or wrong and using the modern style of toy corporation thinking to put out this line, but that kind of thinking where everything's based on what test groups think the kids MIGHT like - a school of thought that takes the risk off of any 1 person's shoulders since risk is the scariest thing of all to these executive drones - turns out to be the riskiest and most short-sighted of all.

LTBasker
02-05-2004, 11:33 PM
And likely the kids that they may have tested these with, were probably paid.. so who's going to really knock something when you're given easy money? That's just speculation though.

I really wish I could slap Mattel for this... all I plan to do is find what I want that I can, and then be done with them. I won't speak highly of them or anything anymore with the way they've done this.

Just think, with what people have been paying on ebay for Freeze and Croc, they could've bought 2-3 in stores and Mattel would've gotten double to triple profits. But nope, they think Batman is some sort of technogagdet endlessly happy nerd. Pathetic.

Beast
02-07-2004, 05:23 AM
Wow, and people thought the Batman line was sucking now. Look at these charming cae assortments coming up for this year from Mattel. No villians at all. The only figure that's not a Batman or Robin is Bruce Wayne. And sounds like Killer Croc will continue to ship at 1 per case, and they'll redo Joker w/ Acid Canon. But looks like no more Mr. Freeze. Or any other villians. Info from Action-Figure.com and Entertainment Earth. :rolleyes:

Mattel: Upcoming Batman Assortments
Posted by adrian on Friday, February 06, 2004 - 02:01 AM EST

Psst, Batman Fans... Online Retailer Entertainment Earth has updated their site with new Batman products for the year ahead...

Batman 6-inch Figure Asst. E - April 2004
The Batman Basic Figures Assortment includes awesome comic style figures with nine points of articulation. Collect them all! Each figure is approximately 6-inches tall and comes with cool accessories. This case of 12 assorted action figures includes:

Killer Croc
Snare Strike Batman
Croc Armor Batman
Electro Net Batman
Battle Board Robin
Zipline Batman.

Batman 6-inch Figure Asst. F - June 2004
The Batman Basic Figures Assortment includes awesome comic style figures with nine points of articulation. Collect them all! Each figure is approximately 6-inches tall and comes with cool accessories. This case of 12 assorted action figures includes:

Hydro-Suit Batman
Battle Armor Batman
Sling Strike Nightwing
Lightsuit Batman
Bruce Wayne
Martial Arts Batman
Zipline Batman
Killer Croc
Snare Strike Batman

Batman 6-inch Figure Asst. G - August

Acid Blast Cannon The Joker
Acid Shield Batman
Dual Blade Batman
Crossbow Batman
Shield Strike Batman
Zipline Batman
Bruce Wayne

Batman 6-inch Figure Asst. K - October 2004

Eletro-Net Batman
Zipline Batman
Killer Croc
Snare Strike Batman
Croc Armor Batman
Battle Board Robin.

Batman Deluxe 6-inch Figure Asst. - April 2004
The 6-inch Deluxe Batman figures feature detailed styling with authentic sculpting and high tech gadgetry. Each figure in the assortment includes different kinds of armor and innovative weapons and gadgets. This case of 6 assorted action figures includes:

Deluxe Sky Strike Batman
Deluxe Drill Cannon Batman
Deluxe Battle Sled Batman.

As always everything is subkect to change, so expect a formal line up to be announced at the US ToyFair in just over 1 week's time.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
02-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Yuck. At least everyone will have a few more chances to pick up Robin and Killer Croc, though maybe not great chances. Listen closely, you can hear me groaning all the way from here. :bored:

I am Jabba the Hutt
02-07-2004, 04:46 PM
I find that very strange, are Batman lines normally like this? I remember the Animated Series line had quite a few villains. Those figures were cool! :cool:

The last Batman figure I bought was from Batman Forever, the thing that sucked was it had a weird thing on the shoulder which I ended up cutting off! :eek:
Why don't they just release a regular Batman and Robin and then concentrate on villains? The villains are the most important characters in Batman in my opinion.

RooJay
02-07-2004, 09:03 PM
I think Mattel is completely ignoring what Hasbro did right or wrong and using the modern style of toy corporation thinking to put out this line, but that kind of thinking where everything's based on what test groups think the kids MIGHT like - a school of thought that takes the risk off of any 1 person's shoulders since risk is the scariest thing of all to these executive drones - turns out to be the riskiest and most short-sighted of all.

My thoughts exactly - and look what that kind of mentality has done to the toy industry over the past two years. The toy business has gone from record heights just a few years ago to near collapse. There are folks in the industry getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars (millions in some cases) to run these companies, and look at what a mess they've made of it in such a short time. I could do a much better job than most of these guys seem capable of, and I'd be willing to do it for half the price! ;)

LTBasker
02-08-2004, 01:07 AM
I'd be willing to just run in there and set'em straight for free! Well ok, while I'm there I would may as well get an autograph by the sculptor of Zipline Bats. :D

They need to release cases like this:

Main make up case
2x Mr. Freeze
2x Robin
2x Croc
2x Joker
2x Zipline Bats
1x Bat variant
1x Bat variant

Secondary case:
2x Freeze
1x Croc
1x Robin
2x Zipline
2x Bat Variant
2x Bat Variant
2x Bat Variant

(Primary case to go to stores with less possible ordering choices)
3x Joker
3x Croc
3x Freeze
3x Robin

That's just the way they should ship figures for awhile... forget the variants, theres plenty on the pegs! Don't need refreshers. As for the Freeze variant, let's say between the three cases he's in, 30,000 more are produced. I think a third of that should be a variant, there's no reason for it to have an even more impossible to find variant.

If they would only understand that the lame Bat versions would actually sell better if they made less of them, more original characters, and actually gave them an enemy to interact with! Nobody wants super-duper-missile-launch-outta-his-chin Batman only to be left with the figure having to play with himself rather than a villain. :p

Yea, they'd probably sit anyways even with villains, but I guarantee if there was a villain to interact with there would be more desire to kids to buy it. That's why I bought Bat variants when I was a kid, because it gave him more ways to capture the Penguin, Catwoman, the Joker, etc.

jjreason
02-08-2004, 03:34 AM
No one has made mention of the little animated Batman figures Mattel is producing right now, similar in appearance to their smaller Justice League figures. Having seen a few around here (2 packs for the most part, and one special 4 pack with the characters in silver) I'd wager they've made the same number of (if not more) villains for that line already than they have for the six inch line. I've seen Joker and Two Face (I think????) in the two packs already, are there any others?

LTBasker
02-08-2004, 04:03 AM
Yep, theres:
Batman (Clawed up) with Catwoman (new sculpt)
Batman with Joker (modified sculpt, holding cards actually)
Batman with Nightwing (modified sculpt)
Batman with Robin (Tim Drake obviously)
Batman with Two-Face
and there was going to be Batman with a new Batgirl, but that 2-pack got canceled and Batgirl limited to 10,000 or less and shoved in with Sin Tzu PS2 games.

Of course the Batgirl sculpt wasn't entirely wasted, they used the sculpts from the 2-packs and that Batgirl sculpt to make a 4-pack of: Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl and Batman but they're all painted in silver, just like the Batman in the Bats/Robin 2-pack. Though some people have just repainted Batgirl to regular colors, her face and such wasn't messed with so I'm sure that made it easier.

LTBasker
02-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Killer Croc and Mr. Freeze (no goggles variant only) are now shipping up to 4 per case to Wal-Marts with a comic book packed into the packaging. Alot of the figures will be making rounds like this, with Hush comics I think. But main reason why I'm excited about this is should definitely drive down ebay prices! And hey, we've got a better chance at finding the figures we want.

Mattel made a good decision. Wow.

RooJay
02-11-2004, 12:50 AM
Good. Let's hope they try something like that with the He-Man line, and give that one the chance it deserves as well! I'd really like a decent shot at Evil-Lyn, Roboto, Fisto, Zodak, and the Snake Men.
Of course, there's also still the problem of their most recently announced product line-up for the year and it's general lack of new villains and secondary characters...

Beast
02-11-2004, 08:52 AM
Well, the Teen Titans figures should be on display at Toy Fair. I have to say the simple design look works for them. Not a fan of the show, really. But I figured some of you like it. So would care. Pick up issue #80 of Toyfare tommorow if you want to see more pictures. Here's a peek at Cyborg, Robin, and Beast Boy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
02-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Ah, some more info on those comic figures. Both Mr. Freezes are actually come with the comic, but neither should be really that hard to find it seems. Also the comic versions are only Wal-Mart exclusives as far as I can tell.

Reefer Shark
02-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Those Teen Titans figures look pretty cool. I'm not a big fan of the current version of TT, but one of my nephews goes ape for it. Personally, I still like the old 80's comics better.

I'll probably get a few for the little guy :D

RooJay
02-12-2004, 12:17 AM
The new animated Batman looks totally frikkin' awesome. I'll definitely be picking up at least the Bats figure from this new line. I don't really care for that new design of the Joker, though. :dead:

-Durge-
02-12-2004, 12:57 AM
Very cool figures. Toy Fair's right around the corner!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Eh, I think the new animated figures look like crap. Just my thoughts though.

On a side note, my pops FINALLY scored a Killer Croc figure for me!! WOHOOOO!!!! He found two of them (1 for me, 1 for a friend) at a wal-mart in the new Mattel end cap display. Start checking wal-marts, kids!! :D

LTBasker
02-16-2004, 11:21 AM
I dunno if these are going to be shown at ToyFair, but here's some prototype pics that were shown after the Batman trivia contest last night. http://board.spawn.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=161507

Joker went and joined the village people. :eek:

LTBasker
02-17-2004, 03:03 AM
Pictures were finally revealed from Toy Fair of the two carded (on mock-up packagings) and I have to say...they suck. As usual.

First, Nightwing: http://www.411mania.com/figures/viewscreenshot.php?screenshots_id=1622

It usually the exact same sculpt from the 2-pack, and it's painted in Neon blue with a silver line across the chest. Comes with some weird Batarang double whip. :eek:

Second, Bruce Wayne: http://www.411mania.com/figures/viewscreenshot.php?screenshots_id=1621

The head sculpts not bad, but that's the only real good part of the figure. As with just about all other Bruce Wayne figures (only exceptions being exclusives IE: Batman Returns Bruce Wayne with BatCoupe, and the trench coat Bruce from a 4-pack) this figure is obviously exclusively to it's Bat armor. It has some mild Bat gear (utility belt, pants) already on with snap-on gauntlets. The head is one of those you push into the chest and then slide on the armor with the cowl, cape, etc. Really lame. I was looking forward to a more sauve Bruce Wayne figure. :\

Of course it does give an idea, if you can get Bruce and a spare Batman for discount prices, you could possibly cut off Bruce's head and glue it on the regular Batman body. That would make a nice custom... Until then, disappointing as always. :(

James Boba Fettfield
02-17-2004, 03:40 AM
I think I found my Batman fix with the upcoming Hush figures and the new animated Batman figure. Just the basic one, though. Those Hush figures will be more expensive than normal figures, but they do look so good.

EDIT-And maybe the Dark Knight Returns Batman and Joker. You can never get enough of Batman. Greatest. Hero. Ever.

JediTricks
02-18-2004, 12:56 AM
Figures.com's new affiliate site put up coverage of Justice League and The Batman lines, wow do they suck! Both lines appear to have knee and elbow articulation though, that's something. Justice League is more silly junk tacked onto the figures, and a fairly small Watchtower playset. The Batman looks pretty weak to me, yet another Batman line with 1 villain and a dozen Bat-variants with silly Bat-gizmos. Bruce Wayne looks like a buffed-up version of the Batman Beyond kid, and the new Batmobile is not only a tiny toy, but it looks like a friggin' basic Tuner! I usually love Batmobiles, but this one looks like a loser. Basic Bats looks kinda like his vintage self, but also a little too much like that bat-ripoff "Catman" from the '40s. All in all, I wish Mattel had been more careful with their brands from the past year.

-Durge-
02-18-2004, 02:56 AM
Any news on a Robin and Nightwing in the new "The BATMAN" line?

James Boba Fettfield
02-18-2004, 08:36 AM
Durge, I don't think any Robins or Nightwing will be making an appearance in the new Batman cartoon.

I must be the only one (maybe Roojay too) who likes the new Batman figure. I'm undecided about the Joker. I think he looks alright, but the figure reminds me of an ape. I don't know if I'll be buying his figure or not, but I'll definitely take one of the Batman.

All of the DC Direct stuff for Batman has me salivating, though. I like statue figures, so I can see why these figures are appealing to me. Articulation can be a bad thing for me. So thank you DC Direct, I believe I am the most impressed with your figures and hope to own many of them. Perhaps the JL Batman from Mattel, as well.

First Appearance Batman figure, here I come.

LTBasker
02-18-2004, 03:20 PM
Any news on a Robin and Nightwing in the new "The BATMAN" line?

Since the new Batman series is supposed to take place in year 3...I doubt we'll be seeing them anytime soon. Dick Grayson's probably just a toddler at that point or something, so of course he'd still be with his parents.

El Chuxter
02-18-2004, 03:46 PM
Since the new Batman series is supposed to take place in year 3...I doubt we'll be seeing them anytime soon. Dick Grayson's probably just a toddler at that point or something, so of course he'd still be with his parents.

Actually, Dick became Robin in Bruce's third year of being Batman. I'm speaking of the comics, of course. ;)

-Durge-
02-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Thank you for the heads up.

LTBasker
02-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Actually, Dick became Robin in Bruce's third year of being Batman. I'm speaking of the comics, of course. ;)

Ah, didn't know that. I've only read the Hush series and was basing it off of the prior animated series. Maybe they'll tie in "The Batman" with Teen Titans, as it's basically been confirmed that Dick Grayson is the TT Robin. Ah well...

Back on topic since you mentioned the comics, looking over that new Nightwing and seeing that it has slide on yellow armor. Isn't that Night's first costume for the comics? May be worth getting afterall...

El Chuxter
02-18-2004, 05:37 PM
Ah, didn't know that. I've only read the Hush series and was basing it off of the prior animated series.

Only read Hush? :eek: I know this isn't Comics & Books, but I must immediately recommend you read the following trade paperbacks (in this order):

Year One
Shaman
Year Two
A Death in the Family
Year Three
A Lonely Place of Dying
Knightfall/Knightsquest/Knightsend (multiple paperbacks, I think)
Prodigal

There are several other great ones (and the huge Knightfall/Knighstquest/Knightsend/Prodigal epic gets cumbersome at times), but that ought to answer most of your Robin-related questions. ;)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Here is a pic of the new crap-tacular batmobile. Simply horrible. It looks like a boat.

http://www.action-figure.com/Article11079.html for more pics of this horrid piece of junk. cheers! :D

El Chuxter
02-23-2004, 12:51 PM
I'm not the mod of this section, but I think that last post belongs in a thread with "poop" in the title.

jjreason
02-23-2004, 06:38 PM
I don't hate it. I'd like to see it in relation to Zip bats for scale, but it looks a little "compact" for a batmobile. I like the designed groove in the hood a la the newish Toyota Supras. Stylish. The cab looks like it's been expanded to fit everything a super crime fighting detective might need at his beck and call. The bat wings out the back have been minimized, but still "stage whisper" BATMOBILE very clearly. I hated the original "Movie Style" Batmobile, and it seems to have spawned so many of the versions we've seen over the past 15 years, or however long it's been since that movie came out (15 years???? Couldn't be, could it? Damn, I am one old person). The Batmobile has been due for a remodeling for far too long.

Thumbs up from me.

JediTricks
02-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Hey, I badmouthed this thing a week ago! http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=310516&postcount=98
Turns out I was badmouthing the gray one, there's going to be a gray one with one set of gimmicks and this black one with a few different gimmicks, but they seems to share the same overall look.

The vehicle is barely bigger than the figures, which look about 5" scale to me, you can see the overall display photos here: http://69.93.119.2/photosSHTC/showgallery.php?cat=542
It's a very small 1-seater, probably with the figure's head sticking out the top. I hate when they don't give Batmobiles a closing roof, that always bothers me to no end, if this one had a closing roof, it might have half a chance at getting my money. This thing looks like an Audi Quatro mated with a tuner to look like a wannabe batmobile, this whole "cab forward" look seems far too stock for Batman.

Personally, I loved the 1st movie Batmobile, but was as equally enthralled with the most recent animated Batmobile from the late '90s and the recent Justice League cartoons. This thing isn't even as appealing as the Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, or early '90s animated Batmobiles to me.

-Durge-
02-24-2004, 01:37 AM
I agree, it does look very, very bad.

RooJay
02-24-2004, 02:14 PM
I disagree. I don't think it's bad at all. Certainly it's not at all spectactular, and it's definitely very different (read - bland) from what we're used to seeing in a Batmobile, but it's certainly not "bad".
The Batmobile is constantly being redesigned - it happens at least once a year in the comics, it seems - and if this one is not to your liking, I'm certain there will be a new one very shortly. There is absolutely a Batmobile out there for everyone, and for all tastes.

Reefer Shark
02-24-2004, 06:40 PM
I don't really dig that new batmobile myself, last years model was much more impressive looking IMO. I would have bought one if I could find a stinking Robing figure to put in the other seat. :rolleyes:

On another note, I finally found a Mr Freeze at Wal-Mart the other day (the one with the comic in the package). Great figure, I like how his head turns inside the dome - nice touch!

Now if I could only find Robin, I would be happy and finished with this line.

JediTricks
02-24-2004, 07:06 PM
Personally, I don't care for either of Mattel's batmobiles, either this new animated one or last year's non-animated version. I hate the way that thing looks, doesn't capture the real spirit of the batman concept at all IMO while trying so hard to pretend it does.

The last new Batmobile before this BTW was nearly 7 years ago from the late '90s animated line, so I'm not expecting a better Batmobile next year.

jjreason
03-02-2004, 02:28 AM
Well, I don't know who deserves the credit, so I'll offer up some BatMan props to Hasbro as well as my local WalMart store. Here's why:

Price for basic 6 inch figures at my WalMart - $4.92 Canadian.

Tons of different basics, deluxes, 2 packs (read on, they were worth looking at) all in stock.

The two packs from the "Killer Croc" wave are very good. They're reoffering Bats/Supes and Bats/Nightwing, as well as pairing up Zip Batman with Red Robin (In good numbers, I saw 3 packs of them today - that's a great starter set for someone jumping into the line late) and the Brown and Black Bat Armor Bats with Joker (again, a well worth the money two pack - that Bats is the only other good basic Bats figure from the first wave).

Good on Hasbro for pairing up the desirable short packs from the first run with the GOOD Batman figures, and not making us try to part with money for the more ludicrous looking ones. I like these figures.

LTBasker
03-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Price for basic 6 inch figures at my WalMart - $4.92 Canadian.

Holy crap :eek: that's like $2 here isn't it? :sur: That's insane! Here the figure's are $8 at Wal-Mart, while Marvel Legends is even $7!

Your Wal-Mart wouldn't happen to have the Bats/Nightwing, and Bats/Superman 2-packs for real cheap would they? :nerv:

jjreason
03-02-2004, 03:52 PM
First, LTB, you're way off. 4.92 up here is like 3 bucks, not 2 :D , and the 2 packs are still 19.92 each. Leads me to believe that we've had a bit of a mix up here, and the person(s) in charge of action figures forgot to readjust the price after the clearance last month. Works for me though. I passed on Killer Croc at the 4.92 price 2 weeks ago, now wishing I'd picked him up. If 19.92 (close to 14 or 15 as we're doing okay on the exchange rate right now) is a good price, and you can't find them, let me know - always happy to help out.

LTBasker
03-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Hehe, alright thanks anyway. I've seen'em around, I'm just trying find better deals on'em, the $15 for the Supes pack doesn't bother me, but $15 for a sucky Batman and a Nightwing that got jipped when it came to articulation irritates me.

Don't think you have to worry about Killer Croc too much, he's gonna be shipping in more cases for assortments to come, even if he doesn't show up at retail much, he could be more available online. :cool:

jjreason
03-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Based on ebay sales I could have scalped the KC for FOUR TIMES the cost. I guess I was hoping against hope some kid that really wanted him to scrap with Bats was going to find him first. Too bad it's so likely that some other scalper snagged him first. Here's to hoping they didn't.

I think I'm going to head over there and grab me that Bats and Robin 2 pack. Worth the money, and then I won't have to rush around trying to find them when the new Batmobile comes out. If it fits the figures well, I'll likely pick it up.

LTBasker
03-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Well you probably could have done that a few weeks ago with Croc, but now you'd be lucky to get $15, and that's the first version without the comic. Prices are majorly down on Croc since Mattel shipped him with the comic so much to Wal-Marts. Even scalpers are dropping their prices to next to retail, it's amazing. :crazed:

They buy'em all up so poor saps will have to pay extreme prices, now they're the poor saps who can hardly turn a profit on'em. Now that's karma at it's finest. ;)

jjreason
03-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Ha! Hope many of them get what they deserve as a result. I'm hoping to find Mr. Freeze in a later 2 pack, I never did see him up here - comic or not, shades or not. He'd pair up well with the Arctic Armor Batman - another nice basic figure I should have grabbed at the low price.

JediTricks
03-03-2004, 09:21 PM
There's no way this new "The Batman" line is in scale with these current 6" Batman figures, that Batmobile is probably not going to be much larger than Zipline Bats.

RooJay
03-03-2004, 09:37 PM
You'd be correct about the figures there - they're scheduled to be released in the 5 inch scale. Of course, they're a completely different line and were never meant to be compatible anyway. ;)

jjreason
03-04-2004, 12:24 AM
Now that stinks. The "round" Batmobile is from the new "The Batman" animated figure line???? Now I get it. I thought it was a new Batmobile for these guys. Will the "The Batman" figures be compatible with the animated Batman 2 packs we're seeing, or will they divert yet again and have 3 lines on the go?????? Sounds almost as confusing as the OTC/Vintage Nouveau situation.

LTBasker
03-04-2004, 09:39 AM
I'm sure they will, the animated Batman line, JL line and the new "The Batman" line seem to be all the same scale. I think they just made the 6" scale to have their own "unique" approach to Batman, also to match up with ToyBiz's Marvel figures.

darthvyn
03-04-2004, 10:03 AM
man, i KNEW this was going to happen... after hearing about all the "gadgets" he was going to use in the new animated series, i was imagining purple and blue and green and red suits of armor and such... and THERE THEY ARE!!! except, now they're actually going to make him USE them in the cartoon... all i gotta say is...

MEH!

JediTricks
03-04-2004, 08:50 PM
man, i KNEW this was going to happen... after hearing about all the "gadgets" he was going to use in the new animated series, i was imagining purple and blue and green and red suits of armor and such... and THERE THEY ARE!!! except, now they're actually going to make him USE them in the cartoon... all i gotta say is...

MEH!
Yeah, double-meh from me too! Reminds me so much of Batman Beyond it's scary-sad.

jjreason
03-05-2004, 01:18 AM
I think they just made the 6" scale to... match up with ToyBiz's Marvel figures.

To paraphrase Mr. White: If they even dream these Batman Figures match up with Marvel Legends, they better wake up and apologize! :D

LTBasker
03-05-2004, 01:33 AM
I dunno, I have video evidence that shows Mattel's Batman can beat up ML's Punisher easy. ;) (Seriously, I have a video :D)

jjreason
03-05-2004, 01:40 AM
Very interesting LTB, but makes perfect sense. In "Marvel Vs. DC" Batman beat up Captain America. My opinion is that Cap could kick Frank's butt any day of the week, so it would follow that Bats should be able to lay waste to the Punisher.

ASIDE: The Punisher isn't so great. Former villains gone hero never seem to be as GOOD as they were BAD. Frank would be a much more interesting part of the Marvel Universe if he were trying to kill some of the heroes as opposed to being a cut-rate one himself. Sorry Garth Ennis, but this character is pretty much out of gas.

-Durge-
03-05-2004, 06:52 AM
To paraphrase Mr. White: If they even dream these Batman Figures match up with Marvel Legends, they better wake up and apologize! :DHe, he, he yep.

RooJay
03-06-2004, 11:58 PM
There are actually only going to be two Batman lines going. The Batman Animated line brought over from Hasbro was never a full line - the two packs and multi-packs were only done as leftovers from Hasbro's line with a few bonuses. You may note that nothing new has been added to that line since the initial releases and a repainted multi-pack or two in quite some time. The toy line for "The Batman" is the only Batman animated line now.

-Durge-
03-07-2004, 04:36 AM
What ever happened to "Batman Beyond"? I loved that show. How did it end? Is it still going? Whats the deal?

LTBasker
03-07-2004, 09:09 AM
It ended alright, but with only about 2 seasons under it's belt, and they didn't even give it a series finale. They ended with an episode titled "Unmasked" but it wasn't what you'd expect for a final episode, it had no significant value to the title. It being the last episode, or technically a series finale was just a coincidence to the name.

They did make a good movie though before it was completely dead called Return of the Joker.

I really wish they had done more with the series, but WB really butchered it's time slots and everything to get it bad ratings.

-Durge-
03-07-2004, 07:24 PM
How and when did it end?

Reefer Shark
04-04-2004, 07:31 PM
How funny... long after giving up on finding them, I stumbled across both versions of Robin, and Killer Croc at a Target (although the 1st ver of Robin is in the 2 pack w/zipline Bats).

Not so sure I'm gonna keep the green/grey Robin though..... I may just end up trading him or take him back.

Anyways, if any of y'all are still looking for 'em, you may want to check your local Targets!

-Durge-
04-04-2004, 08:58 PM
How did batman Beyong end?

LTBasker
04-05-2004, 02:44 AM
Batman Beyond "ended" with the episode 'Unmasked'. No it's not as cool as it sounds.

Spoilers for those who didn't catch the ep the 3 or so only times they played it, highlight to read: (hope this works)

In the episode "Unmasked" Terry saves a kid from a burning building, however the only way he could get the kid to go with him was to unmask himself. The kid talked about it when they interviewed him on the news and the cobra clan guys made a device to get the mental picture from the kid. Well the kid had a little GI Joe thing he carried around, so when they eventually got the picture from the kid (after fighting with Bats of course), the kid's mental pic showed Batman with the doll's head.

So no finale or anything, basic episode. Nothing revealed, no pivotal moments or anything. ROTJoker was more of a series finale I guess. Alot of FUBAR.

-Durge-
04-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Maybe the show has not ended after all...?

LTBasker
04-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Nope it did end, WB pulled the plug for sure. The teams were all dismantled and everything, it's pretty sad.

Mattel needs to do a short Batman Beyond line with Terry, Bruce, Stalker, Spellbinder and Barb Gordon.

-Durge-
04-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Yeah, the line was horrific!

jjreason
04-14-2004, 02:30 AM
Well I saw my first Mr. Freeze last night, the version without goggles on. Excellent looking figure, nearly enough to get my money.

I think Mattel has done an admirable job putting this line out there. If any completists haven't found everything, I don't think they're looking too hard. I've managed to find every figure in every configuration possible (singles and 2 packs, card variations for Zipline, paint for Robin, at least 10 Killer Crocs so far etc) EXCEPT the goggled Freeze, and could have a near complete set for retail price. It's being well handled - not too easy to find everything, but nowhere near impossible.

LTBasker
04-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Cool, was it the one with comic or without?

jjreason
04-14-2004, 08:17 PM
No comic. The figure without the goggles on looked better to me, I saw the one with them on the back of the package. He looked meaner without. I'm regretting not picking him up, but it would have started another landslide collection (tons of money spent in a short period of time, usually leading to regrets a couple of weeks down the road), which I'm famous for. Good workout for my willpower :D .

JediTricks
04-14-2004, 08:47 PM
I still haven't found either Freeze, the only figure I really want. The line is a mess, so many batmen and so few others - I've only seen Croc once. Now there's a Joker/Bats 2pack, how strange is that (I think it's Armor bats specifically)? Maybe they just had too many leftover Jokers and Bats because they look identical to original carded versions..

LTBasker
04-14-2004, 09:18 PM
JT, yeah they rereleased Red Robin and Joker in 2-packs, Robin's with Zipline Bats and Joker's with Armor Bats. They rereleased'em to make them easier to find, like the comic variants of Freeze and Croc.

JediTricks
04-14-2004, 09:55 PM
Oh yeah, it's REAL hard to find Armor Bats. :p Gee, I wonder why Mattel is having such a hard time with Batman (& MOTU) lately. :rolleyes:

jjreason
04-16-2004, 01:43 PM
I think they chose Armor Bats because he was the next-best looking Batman besides Zipline. Those 2 two-packs were a great idea, in my mind, because so many people seemed choked at not being able to find either Robin or Joker due to scalping. This way they can get those figures relatively easily, and Hasbro can continue to sell Armor and Zip Batman figures - which might get turned over to little brothers/cousins/friends, etc and create new collectors. Those 4 figures were the only really great one from wave 1.

And for those that care, they're doing what the can to allow the single carded first-release chase figures to retain some value by not directly re-releasing them on the same cards as they were initially.

With any luck 2 packs with Croc and Freeze will follow - it would make perfect sense to include Croc Armor or Snare Strike Bats with KC, and of course Arctic Armor Bats with Mr. Freeze.

Reefer Shark
04-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Yeah... I scored the Robin/Zipline bats two pack, and I really like it. Makes me want to get one of those Batmobiles to put 'em in! They actually re-released the previous two packs as well, all in the green packaging scheme. I've seen all four two packs multiple times at Target lately.

BTW: I heard on the radio the other day that Mattel is recalling the Batmobile. Apparently the spikes are too sharp and pointy. Can anyone confirm this rumor ??

LTBasker
04-16-2004, 06:48 PM
BTW: I heard on the radio the other day that Mattel is recalling the Batmobile. Apparently the spikes are too sharp and pointy. Can anyone confirm this rumor ??

Yep it's true, they're recalling like 60,000 or something between Canada and the US. If you already have it they're also offering that you send in the spike pieces and they'll send back replacements that are in soft plastic and rounded out. :crazy:

JediTricks
04-17-2004, 04:38 AM
Yeah, that news about the Batmobile was on figures.com yesterday, I'm not that surprised, but it's still not going to make me go out and buy one because I just don't like the design much (though I'd buy one on clearance for $10).

I agree, Armor Bats ain't that bad, he actually has bat colors (black and brown) and the silver is a good accent. I'd probably prefer a repaint of all the pieces though, they did an adequate job with the one in the 2pack (was it Supes or Nightwing that came with blue/grey Armor Bats?). I feel like a real nerd, first thing I thought about the possibility of a Freeze/Arctic Bats 2pack was "hey, I'd take that, I've been thinking about getting that Bats a little anyway" when what I should have been thinking was "if they recolor Bats and his gear with a dark dark color scheme, I'd bee all over that". :D

Reefer Shark
04-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Ah jeez...

Now that I have the zipline Bats and Robin, I've been looking for the Batmobile to put the figures in. Unfortunately, they've been scarce around here since the recall...

I finally found some today at TRU, and I was stoked! when I brought one to the register, the guy gets on the phone and says to someone "uh... what does do not sell mean?". Needless to say, it all ended with a "sorry sir, I can't sell you that".

Ah well, not the end of the world... the vehicle isn't that great. I really would rather it be done in a more classic style for the 6" scale figures. But it does stink when you get teased like that lol.

JediTricks
05-29-2004, 01:39 AM
Found 1 lone Mr Freeze at KB Panorama City today, full price there is $10 but I caved and bought him anyway.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Reefer- It said "do not sell"?!!? WTF!! Why in the hell would they even have iton the shelves in the first place!!! Stupid TRU people at that store, man. What a crock!!! :D

JT- weird you found a Mr. Freeze cause i found another one last week at my local Wal-Mart. I think they're shipping him like 1-2 in a case with the current Killer Croc mixed wave. Glad to see he's popping up more though; he's a great figure everybody should get! :)

JediTricks
05-29-2004, 03:37 PM
What packaging JMG, original or the sewer packaging (or the WM-exclusive comics packaging, which was SUPPOSED to have way more Mr Freezes in it but scalpers swallowed those up)?

There's lots of stuff on the TRU floor that's old stock or forgotten, even more in the hidey-shelves above the racks. It's ridiculous. But TRU should have sold it to you anyway, just warned you about the pointy things. :D Hell, the toy isn't even selling on ebay very much (and not for over its original MSRP) even though it's now a recalled toy.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-15-2004, 02:45 PM
JT- I know the first release of Mr. Freeze was the original packaging and i scored one of him. The one i found that day for my buddy i think was in the sewer packaging. I'm assuming the original release has been eaten up by scalpers.

I just saw this at action-figure.com. It's the new wave 5 of batman figs due out in the fall:

Acid Sheild Batman
Crossbow Batman
Dual Blade Batman
Shield Strike Batman
Acid Blast Joker

There will also be a Diamond Exclusive 2-Pack featuring Batman and Killer Croc (typical, just as I find Kilelr Croc at retail). This too is due for release this fall."

Here is a pic of the new Joker. He's great, the rest of the line is crap.

El Chuxter
06-15-2004, 02:56 PM
I see Mattel has learned nothing. I wonder if the folks who make decisions for them have ever actually been in a store selling the figures so they could see the bazillions of multicolored Batman? :mad:

And I can't imagine Batman using a crossbow. It's just wrong.

JediTricks
06-16-2004, 09:47 PM
I'm so disappointed with this wave I could cry. Acid Shield Batman appears to be just like an idea I suggested before, Arctic Batman colored black instead of white, but the Mattel morons went and vomitted all over this figure for NO REASON AT ALL thus ruining an otherwise reasonable Bat-variant.

Dual Blade Bats looks like an interesting new take on the bat-look, I like the sleeker cowl and chest, hope those silly saw blades come off though.

I have no idea what they're trying to get at with Shield Strike Bats, is it a radar thing?

Crossbow Bats appears to be a revisit of one of the recent Deluxe Bats, I have no idea which one and don't care - it looks lame.

Acid Joker makes no sense to me, why is that first Joker figure getting construction worker armor like he's in the village people?

That Croc/Bats 2pack sucks, LAAAAME!

This line badly needs better accessories.

RooJay
06-17-2004, 08:06 PM
Just to get an idea of how diverse this line can be, I shall now list each of Batman's villains that Mattel should be making instead of the ever increasing number of asinine Batman variations (if Hasbro hit 300 way back when, what're we at now - 500? 600?):

(omitting the ones we've already got, and by that I mean those few of us who've actually found them!)

Harley Quinn
Penguin
Riddler
Catwoman
Two-Face
Bane
Poison Ivy
Ra's Al Ghul
Talia
Ubu
Firefly
Charaxes
Scarecrow
Mad Hatter
Man Bat
Black Spider
Zeiss
Lady Shiva
Clayface
Mr. Zsasz
Hush
Sin Tzu (from the video game)
The Crime Doctor
Catman
Deadshot
Cain
Crazy Quilt
Blockbuster
Solomon Grundy
Tweedledee and Tweedledum
The Electrocutioner
The Reaper
Dr. Phosphorus
Ferak
The Ventriloquist
KGBeast
Lock-Up
The Clock King
Black Mask
Nocturna
Night Slayer
Spellbinder
The Spook
The Cavalier
The Rat Catcher
Maxie Zeus
Calendar Man
Anarky
Copperhead
Amygdala
The Banner
the Calculator
Hugo Strange
Cluemaster

There are others, but I felt these where the most notable. I didn't even bother to list Robin and Nightwings villains, nor any of the characters specifically from the animated shows who could easily be adapted for the toy line. There are also a good number of allies and even supporting characters who would make great additions to the current line of figures! Instead of forcing kids to buy only the Batman variants they keep churning out until those kids get bored and move on to something else, Mattel has a perfect opportunity to foster a new generation of collectors who will continue to buy Batman figures for years to come!

RooJay
06-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Miracle of miracles! I finally found a Mr. Freeze figure! Guess I'm finally starting my Mattel Batman collection - I'd been holding off all this time because I didn't see much sense in owning another Batman with no other compatible characters to display him alongside. I actually see the Joker fairly regularly and know of a place that has him at retail, so he'll be my next purchase. I'm actually now hopeful that i may yet find Croc at retail, and I expect zip-line Batman and Robin won't be much of a problem - the Target where i found Freeze this morning had both in stock. Now if only we could convince Mattel to give us a few other characters.

In celebration of my find, here is anothet list - this time of Batman friends and allies just waiting to be made into Mattel figures:

Nightwing (a good one this time - Four Horsemen designed hopefully)
Batgirl (either the old one, the new one or both)
Huntress
Robin (the new girl one; might be good to do a figure of The Spoiler first)
Alfred
Jim Gordon
Rene Montoya
Harvey Bullock
Black Canary
Green Arrow
Oracle (whether or not they actually do a classic Batgirl)
Ragman
The Question
Orpheus
Azrael
Harold
Zatanna
The Creeper

jjreason
06-30-2004, 11:17 PM
I quite liked the design of Azrael (circa Batman 500 - when that character took over as Batman during the broken back incident). He would make a pretty nice figure if done in the style of this line.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Here are some pics of Bane and Scarecrow due out for waves 6 or 7. These look FANTASTIC!!! :crazed:

P.s.- sorry binks, i had to post these. Thanks to Mr. Jar Jar for the pics. :)

El Chuxter
07-13-2004, 01:16 PM
Oh my dear sweet Lord. I can only say one thing about that awesome-looking Bane:

I must break you!!

That's the best Bane since the Legends of the Dark Knight line, and by far the most accurate. He even comes with his widdle teddy bear!

Oh, and Doctor Crane looks pretty wicked, too.

Wonder when the other heavy-hitters (especially Harvey, Oswald, Edward, and R'as) will be coming?

JediTricks
07-13-2004, 08:54 PM
They both look cool, but I am SO sick of Bane figures. It's going to be hard to get me interested in that guy again (not that it'll matter the way Mattel does case assortments, since I'll never SEE one).

LTBasker
07-14-2004, 02:33 AM
Wow man, how can you be sick of Bane figures? I don't even think theres been 20 or so since the BTAS line launched the first one.

El Chuxter
07-14-2004, 01:03 PM
Come on, JT, he comes with a teddy bear! Bears make everything better, so you have to get this Bane!

RooJay
07-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Even the new Batman variants in this assortment look like a major improvement. Still wont be buying any of them though. Remind me again why Mattel doesn't think assortments like these should be the norm (two villains in one assortment?!!! :eek: )? I also notice that Bane and Scarecrow are more poseable than any of the other figures so far. Looking at the pictures in the new ToyFare looks like they both definitely have elbow articulation (ball-joints for Scarecrow!) and articulated ankles on top of the bendable knees, ball-jointed shoulders, t-croth thighs, and cut-joint wrists and necks. Hard to tell for sure, but they look like they may even have waist articulation. Can a new, more articulated basic Batman figure be far behind?

Also, I have seen pretty much all of the new five inch The Batman animated figures. The Joker looks much cooler than I thought, but the figures in general look a bit more underwhelming than the prototypes seemed. I think I'll be waiting on these to see how well the cartoon turns out and whether or not Mattel decides to put out any other figures besides the garish technicolor Batman figures the first assortment is full of.

JediTricks
07-15-2004, 08:33 PM
I picked up the "The Batman" Deluxe Battle Punch Batman last week, gave it a pretty good review over at Figures.com's forums: http://www.figures.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4823

But I also picked up the new "The Batman" Batmobile and I think it's a POS. The line in general looks shakey, the other 2 deluxes I saw in person looked bad, with the Rollerblade Bats figure being downright embarassing.

As for wave 6 of the 6" Batman figures, I'll wait to see 'em in person, the bat-variants could go either way but my faith in Mattel's bat-figs has been sorely tested lately. And sorry, I don't care how many Bane figures they've done (what, twenty or thirty or something, he's the Darth Maul of DC now? ;)) it's still too many. :D

LTBasker
07-15-2004, 08:59 PM
LOL, I don't know how many they've done. I imagine Hasbro made quite a few in their repaint craze though, then there was stuff like the LotDK line and the Batman & Robin line. But those don't count, because they don't exist. What? THEY DON'T EXIST. Got it? :)

<_< >_>

I can't wait for them. :D

RooJay
07-22-2004, 05:23 PM
All I can say is, "it's about time"...

http://www.action-figure.com/Article12316.html

Keep it up Mattel - you just may find yourselves taking my money with this stuff again.

I promise I won't even complain about the lack of double-jointed elbows and knees.

Now if only we could get the to make some other characters (ones that we can find in the stores when we go a buyin') for Batman to beat on or pal around with...

"That'll do pig. That'll do."

JediTricks
07-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Yeah, or the lack of better neck articulation... oh wait, yeah, I'm gonna complain about those issues a little... right after I buy one of these. ;)

The one thing I can't get behind here are those mega-boots, who thought that was a good idea? http://69.93.119.2/photosSHTC/showphoto.php?photo=1440&sort=1&cat=559&page=1

RooJay
07-23-2004, 10:25 PM
The size of those boots appears to be nothing more than a trick of the angle the pic was shot at. I can almost guarantee ya that his feet are the exact same size as all the other Batman figures we've gotten so far.

plasticfetish
07-24-2004, 04:14 AM
More pics, just for YOU guys... 'cause I can!

JediTricks
07-25-2004, 11:10 PM
Hopefully you're right about that RooJay.

JediTricks
07-27-2004, 01:54 AM
Spotted the same Art Asylum building brick Batman sets at Kmart today, the Batglider set with an odd Batman minimate & Catwoman was $10.99 and the Batwing with pilot Batman was $20.99.

JediTricks
07-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Hoo nelly! Yesterday was a big day for Batman finds for me. I found all the basic "The Batman" figures and picked up Zip Attack Bats (he's the regular colors version), the figure's alright I suppose but the built-in string in his arm should at least have had a lock to keep it out, and the batarang it's connected to is 3-scale-feet big, very ridiculous. Thanks to the Robin-sized batarang, the figure has a hard time sitting in the car. I spotted the Bruce Wayne, but it doesn't suit my fancy at all. I also spotted a single solitary Batcave yesterday at WM, box was MASSIVE, and I forgot to price it.

But more exciting than that was the new 1/43rd-scale (approx) Corgi die-cast Batmobiles from the comics I found at WM for $6.44 each, these things were selling fast, I only saw 4 of the 8 cars in it and grabbed them all as soon as I could. These are incredibly cool, nice paint, good details, good designs, and each one has a gimmick. I picked up the '40s Batmobile, the '60s Batmobile, the '60s Batmarine jet, and the 2000 Batmobile - all of which are very satisfying, and I hope to find the others soon.

plasticfetish
07-31-2004, 04:13 AM
But more exciting than that was the new 1/43rd-scale (approx) Corgi die-cast Batmobiles from the comics I found at WM for $6.44 each
Oh wow! I hadn't heard about these... sounds great. I'll have to look again tomorrow.

JediTricks
08-01-2004, 09:08 PM
I just spent a few minutes hanging these up on my wall, they really look incredible. All the boxes claim 1/43rd scale but there's no way the Batmarine is that I can figure out. I haven't heard 1 other person say anything about these yet, there's a few sets listed on ebay but I haven't found any good pics. I wish my camera was still working. The box is dark blue and orangish-tan. I can't wait to find the other 4, I hope they're out now.

Best of luck tracking them down.

LTBasker
08-02-2004, 12:46 AM
How bout this JT?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2480&item=5912783612&rd=1

And for a pic of all 8...

http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/28/ec/98_1.JPG

I don't like the 90's Batmobile, it should be the BTAS Batmobile!

plasticfetish
08-02-2004, 03:10 AM
Cool. I found the 2000 Batmobile at W*M today. Saw the Batmarine also, but I couldn't find one with a nice box out of the whole lot. (Those are the only two that they had at that store -- I'm gonna hit others on Tuesday when I get a chance.) These look great! I had one of the '70s Corgi Batmobiles when I was a kid and I'm pretty sure it simply turned to dust one day from being played with too much.

Think I'm gonna open this one in a bit. I'll put up some pics later.

JediTricks
08-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Basker, that's them. I've not seen that auction before, the only other one I saw with all the vehicles had a pic of the prototypes which weren't accurate. That auction says that there are 4 vehicles in series 1, I guess that means the other 4 aren't out yet, explains a lot.

"I don't like the 90's Batmobile, it should be the BTAS Batmobile!"
I am pretty sure they don't have the license to the cartoons or movies, only the comics - Mattel holds the license for 'toons and movies now. I personally LOVE the '90s batmobile, it was my favorite in the comics because it was so sleek and businesslike, no giant crazy fins and almost nothing exposed. Personally, I don't care for the 2nd batmobile from 2000, I think it looks like a cheesy sportscar that's been bat-customized.

And I'd love for both batmobiles from the modern animated age to be released in this line, I have a major love for the one from '97 series ("The New Adventures of Batman").

PF, awesome to finally talk with someone who found one! I'm assuming you mean the 2000 Batmobile that looks like an update to the '89 movie version, right, the one with the rotating turbine blades under glass, yes? I would strongly suggest opening these, all 4 I have are fantastic toys (once you free them from their twistie-tied hell, stupid Corgi put a twistie around EACH wheel and then tied the end in a HUGE knot under each axle) and impressive out of the box. I was expecting fairly weak quality because it's easy to sell Batman products and these were only $6.44, but they're very nice work. The Batmarine's box insert tray actually is scored on the back so you can remove the stand without ripping open the bubble.

The '70s Batmobile, you mean the one from the '60s TV show, right? I had a few of those as a kid myself, I mangled the heck out of them. ;) The '60s comics Batmobile in this series is what that car was based on, I think (or vice-versa).

plasticfetish
08-02-2004, 11:25 PM
I'm assuming you mean the 2000 Batmobile that looks like an update to the '89 movie version, right, the one with the rotating turbine blades under glass, yes? I would strongly suggest opening these...Exactly, and yeah it was tied in there pretty good. (Wow.) And yeah, these are great, really sturdy fun toys. Love the turbine thing -- great!

Yeah, the '70s one was the TV show one. It's pretty close to the comicbook Batmobile I suppose.

Now if I could only find the '60s Batmobile or the '40s (or any of them.) I'm gonna wander back for the Batmarine tomorrow probably.

JediTricks
08-03-2004, 10:02 PM
I was surprised at how smoothly that turbine turned with the axle, it's not super-fast and it doesn't cause friction when rolling, it's a very neat item. This sucker has nice detail, did you notice that even though the wheels are almost completely covered, they have bat-symbols on 'em anyway?

Batmarine is awesome, the wings switchblade out and the underside has a jet exhaust. After the '60s Batmobile, the Batmarine is a great choice to buy a 2nd one to open.

LTBasker
08-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Hmm I looked today at Wal-Mart, what section are you finding them in? Only Corgi stuff I can find is WWII and History of flight.

JediTricks
08-03-2004, 11:28 PM
That's where it was, Hot Wheels aisle endcap at my store. Other 1/43rd Corgis were on that aisle as well, they could end up in there.

plasticfetish
08-04-2004, 05:51 AM
Hmm, if you go to www.corgi.com you get something very funny. It's probably better to go to www.corgi.co.uk (http://www.corgi.co.uk) for the toys.

I blew it and hit a different Wal*Mart tonight that had none of these. Hope I can get a Batmarine tomorrow. (Grrr.)

I was surprised at how smoothly that turbine turned with the axle, it's not super-fast and it doesn't cause friction when rolling, it's a very neat item. This sucker has nice detail, did you notice that even though the wheels are almost completely covered, they have bat-symbols on 'em anyway?No, I didn't notice the wheels until you mentioned it. That's a crazy detail. These things are a real treat.

I did spot a Corgi Green Hornet "Black Beauty" as well as a "Monkey Mobile," but I passed. I've gotta draw the line somewhere. ;) It just dawned on me (duh) that George Barris is the connection between all of these, including the Batmobile (sort of.)

Not that they compare, and not to use a dirty word, but has anyone been grabbing the Hot Wheels batmobiles when they turn up? I've got 3 versions so far and I know that there's a few more out there right now.

JediTricks
08-04-2004, 04:06 PM
That corgi.com thing is WEIRD!!!

Corgi.uk rules! I love that line on the 007 Astin Martin DB5 about the included little guy getting lost behind the couch - they've been making this toy in one form or another for almost 40 years and of the 3 I've owned, ALL of them lost their little henchman figure from that darn ejector seat. :D

It looks like at least 1 of the other 4 batmobiles are out there, so I'm going to keep my eyes open.

I also saw those 2 other Corgis at that stop, the Green Hornet's Black Beauty comes with a metal Kato minifigure, the Monkeymobile doesn't, yet both were $16.44 and are the same size as the Batmobiles. I was VERY tempted by the Black Beauty... until I saw the price.

I got the 1/18th Mattel Batmobile last year for xmas, now you can find 'em at TRU occasionally, it is the sweetest damn version of this sucker ever (even if it really is a smaller scale than 1/18th, I'd say 1/20th). I passed (foolishly) on the 1/64th hobby-shop exclusive movie Batmobile because I'm still waiting for the one that comes with the Batmissile from Batman Returns, but I did pick up the first Hot Wheels Batmobile (the one based on their own design for the 6" figure line, I passed on the repaint in the 2pack though) and 2 of the movie version in the regular Hot Wheels line (they're nowhere near as nice as the hobby-shop exclusive version though but ok I guess) and passed on the Hardnoze version of the movie Batmobile.

RooJay
08-04-2004, 08:25 PM
There was a really awesome 1/18th scale diecast '89 movie Batmobile released just recently. I don't recall who it was by, though I'm thinking it was from Playing Mantis' Johnny Lightning line. I still see it at TRU and KB occassionally.

By the way, the Corgi '60s Batmobile is actually the comics version (at least the one currently pictured on their website). The television version was very similar with the main difference being the red trim along the car's edges.

It would be great to see them continue this line (can't wait to get my hands on 'em) and eventually include all of the television and movie Batman vehicles as well. It would be doubly nice if we could get a set of all of the Bat-vehicles in the exact same scale!

plasticfetish
08-05-2004, 03:36 AM
Yeah, I've gotta stay away from the Corgi.uk site. I never had the Bond Astin Martin, but I did have the Lotus Underwater, which I'm pretty sure I lost in a river someplace in N. California. (Man, I really want one of those now.) I'm gonna have to stop looking at the Dr. Who stuff also.

I had no idea that the Hornet's Black Beauty was that expensive. I didn't bother to check the price -- sheesh!

RooJay -- yeah, the comics version. I'm really happy that we're getting all of these versions, and for sure yes, I hope they can do more.

BTW... yes, the TV Batmobile had the red stripe. Here's another chance to show off this photo of me. (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5812) :D

I grabbed the Batmarine today and found a '40s Batmobile there this time also. These things are really great! I was gonna put a glass case with a bunch of vintage diecast Japanese toys in my livingroom after we repaint and stuff, but now I'm pretty sure it's gonna have a Corgi shelf on it as well. Gonna have to score a nice vintage Batmobile now.

JediTricks
08-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Guess what! I spotted another car in this line, but not in this scale! I saw the Corgi 1/24th '60s Batmobile at TRU last night for $17, I didn't have enough money to justify buying it right now. Packaging graphics were the same concept, it was a bigger box that had a plastic electronic batcommunicator on the right with a lenticular comics Batman image, a motor which moved it up and down to activate the lenticular movement, and 4 or 5 different voice clips from Batman to you. :D The car itself was nice, pretty much an up-scaled version of the 1/43rd car except no minifigure, no saw, but a much more detailed interior and an opening hood that displayed a very average-looking engine. ;) It's a nice piece, if I were a little more flush I would have bought it even though I don't have space for it at all. The box back had images of the current 1/43rd line, a 1/24th 2004 Batmobile (the 1/43rd "2000 v1" version on shelves now, only with a clear hood area) and a 1/16th-scale modern Batman on Batcycle.

There was a really awesome 1/18th scale diecast '89 movie Batmobile released just recently. I don't recall who it was by, though I'm thinking it was from Playing Mantis' Johnny Lightning line. I still see it at TRU and KB occassionally.Rooj, in the post directly above yours, you'll notice that I said "I got the 1/18th Mattel Batmobile last year for xmas", accent on "MATTEL". ;) Seriously though, it's a friggin' awesome piece and MUST be owned by every bat-fan ever, the turbine engine pulls out most of the way, the front wheels turn by the steering wheel, the cockpit slides open just like it does in the movie, and the machine guns appear by rotating their covers over. I saw one on sale yesterday at Target for $18, I was tempted to buy it even though I already own one, that's how good it is.

By the way, the Corgi '60s Batmobile is actually the comics version (at least the one currently pictured on their website). The television version was very similar with the main difference being the red trim along the car's edges. Yeah, I mentioned that ALL of the ones in this line are from the comics. The show car was actually fairly different, it was a modified Lincoln Futara concept car that George Barris had designed for Ford years earlier and which they sold back to him for a buck. The car had scalloping around some of the edges and a totally different rear truck that led up to a rear canopy around the seats (the concept Futara originally had a center canopy which sealed the passengers in), and there were 3 pipes sticking out behind the cockpit. I really don't know which one came first though, but I suspect that Barris may have designed his to look like the comic one.

It would be great to see them continue this line (can't wait to get my hands on 'em) and eventually include all of the television and movie Batman vehicles as well. It would be doubly nice if we could get a set of all of the Bat-vehicles in the exact same scale! I'm afraid that's not likely to happen, Mattel now owns the license to Batman merchandising from TV and movies.

So PF, have you opened and messed with 'em yet, and what do you think of 'em? On the '40s one, I was not really that thrilled with it in its package, but it's so much nicer when it's out and you can see how much metal is on this puppy.

Awesome photo!!!

What I did to display my 4 Corgi Batmobiles was put up those 3M command mini-hooks (the kind that stick to the wall but don't tear off the paint on removal) and hang them 2 by 2 IN their boxes! It looks pretty slick, though I am concerned that the '40s Batmobile is so heavy that it's going to come down (the command mini-hooks have a 1/2 pound weight limit) even though it feels solid (the Bat-battering ram is heavy metal and most of the car is too).

Oh, and on the action figure front, I spied "The Batman" basic valuepacks at Target last night, they were 2 of the regular single figures on their regular cards shrink-wrapped to a single cardboard backer with a new UPC and sold for $10, which is saving like $4. The packs were Bruce & Underwater, Hover & Bruce again, and Whip & Zip (regular) - no Jokers though. If it had been Hover & Whip, I actually might have bought it but I think that Bruce figure look like crap - the others have silly gimmicks and wonky colors but that Bruce's face is attrocious, he's a friggin' mongoloid with a giant sword-sized batarang and lame armor.

plasticfetish
08-05-2004, 10:30 PM
So PF, have you opened and messed with 'em yet, and what do you think of 'em? On the '40s one, I was not really that thrilled with it in its package, but it's so much nicer when it's out and you can see how much metal is on this puppy.
Oh yeah... they're all loose now. I'm probably only going to buy one of each to open. The '40s car is crazy -- I didn't expect to find this one, I'm glad I did. It took me a while to figure out how to make the gimmick work. I'm glad I didn't have it near my face, that thing's lethal.

Gonna look for that 1/24th '60s Batmobile now for sure.

LTBasker
08-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Keep your eyes peeled at Target if you want "The Batman" figures. I found a Bruce/Joker value pack for $9.99, much better than the $6.99 I saw just seconds earlier. They also had some Bruce/Grey Bats and Grey Bats/Joker combos. They look pretty random so with the Joker at 2 per case you should be able to snag one easily. The only trick is you have to slowly peal off a piece of very cheap white tape from the UPCs on the individual figures to make them "normal." I pealed the tape off both in under a minute with no troubles so it's still worth the $4 off. :D

RooJay
08-10-2004, 06:12 PM
I'm afraid that's not likely to happen, Mattel now owns the license to Batman merchandising from TV and movies.

True, but it appears that Mattel also owns the merchandising license for the comics as well. Didn't seem to stop them at all.

Also, I found the The Batman Batcave playset at TRU and Target this morning. That sucker's frikkin' HUGE, and surprisingly only $39.99!!! :eek:

JediTricks
08-11-2004, 09:29 PM
From what I've heard, Mattel does not hold any license from the comics, DC Direct holds the license for toys from the comics and DC/Warner still controls the rest of the comics licenses (which apparently they've granted to Corgi for the die cast vehicles license).

I picked up Razorwhip Batman and The Joker from "The Batman" line in a 2pack at Target, waste of $10 sadly. Razorwhip Bats' cord is way too short and yellow, and the claws are too big. The Joker is really short and the majority piece of his hair is coming off his head thanks to shoddy glue. His articulation is limited. If he had more accessories or a henchman or something, maybe he would have been worth it.

JediTricks
08-20-2004, 12:32 AM
I finally saw the 1/43rd Batmobiles (first wave only) at TRU tonight, they were $6.99, and were quickly snatched up, no box display like that at WM. Also, my WM got another shipment of wave 1, I bought my mom the 2000 batmobile that she wanted, but someone at the store left the entire box display in the clearance section like it was garbage.

plasticfetish
08-20-2004, 04:50 AM
The Batmobiles have dried up completely in my area. I'm still looking, but I'm not finding. :ermm:

mm74md
08-26-2004, 02:50 PM
Anyone else love these figures? My local comic book shop finally got another case in so I was able to get a Batman to complete Wave 1. Can't wait for Wave 2 to hit stores

I attached Wave 1 for those who never saw them.

mm74md
08-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Here is Wave 2 coming in October

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-26-2004, 03:07 PM
Yeah, i got the Hush figures a few weeks back and i'm going to pre-order wave 2. I heard in the latest issue of toyfare they announce wave 3, so somebody might wanna check it out/post it.

also, there is a Toyfare exclusive figure of Hush that is real identity. Also a great figure!! :D

LTBasker
08-26-2004, 08:33 PM
Actually it's not the -real- Hush, it was a decoy. Wouldn't mind getting the series, but from pictures I've seen of the production versions they just don't seem worth $13 each to me, especially with the bland packaging.

El Chuxter
08-26-2004, 11:23 PM
Actually it's not the -real- Hush, it was a decoy. Wouldn't mind getting the series, but from pictures I've seen of the production versions they just don't seem worth $13 each to me, especially with the bland packaging.

Hush is Jason. Accept it. :p

RooJay
08-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Pay him no mind; he knows not of which he speaks. Jason Todd is and ever shall be dead. ;)

JediTricks
08-27-2004, 11:15 PM
Hush is Jason. Accept it. :p Spoiler in my response!!!

Except that he's Clayface. :p

(and I haven't even read the book! :D)
------

I saw these a while back at my local Comic shop, they looked nice but a little too pricey for me, though this shop is often a price-offender. I am still nervous about getting into DC Direct, I worry about breakage as I am not as careful as I'd like with my toys.

--

BTW, saw the 1/24th-scale Batcycle from Corgi at TRU, it looks nice but not my thing (I think it's actually bigger than that scale, like 1/15th). They also had the 1/24th 2000 Batmobile with another communicator, the car seems very similar to the 1/43rd except with better details here and there. The clear hood seems like a bad idea to me, not very realistic, especially since the engine beneath is so bright. The cockpit inside looks great though and the canopy is removable, so I am debating whether or not to get it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-28-2004, 01:06 AM
Spotted the Dark Knight Returns figures today at a comic shop but passed on them much to my irkage. once i get the $$, i'm DEFINATELY picking these up as they look fabulous!!

Is there any info on a wave 2 yet?! :D

El Chuxter
08-30-2004, 01:05 PM
No, he really is Jason, but sent Clayface disguised as himself to screw with Batman's mind. There's too much circumstancial evidence pointing to an actual Hush/resurrected Jason connection for DC not to keep fans drooling for another year or two before the big unveiling.

RooJay
08-30-2004, 04:57 PM
Oh someone was definitely screwin' with Batman's mind, but it wasn't Jason - he's dead. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-14-2004, 12:42 AM
well, i'm a sucker and got the Batman: Dark knight figures. I really love the design of Bats and joker, even though you can't pose them much.

Also, series 3 of Hush has been announcd. They include: Alfred, Commissioner Gordon, Scarecrow, Steal Jumper Batman and Ra's Al Guhl. Pics are here: http://www.action-figure.com/Article12823.html Look AWESOME! cheers!! :D

darthzirock
09-15-2004, 02:48 AM
I've only managed to find series 1 of the 1/43 scale Corgi Batmobiles. Saw the 1/24 scale stuff at TRU, including the Batcycle (forget what scale it's in ... 1/10, maybe?). There were 5 single-carded Hot Wheels Batmobiles: Batmobile #1 (Mattel design), Batmobile #1 (non-chromed variant), Batmobile #31 (1989 movie version), Hardnose Batmobile #42 (movie version), and Crooze Batmobile #69 (Mattel design). There was a 3-pack in early 2004 that had single-carded Batmobile #1 with an all-black paint scheme, packed with a Joker and a Bane car. There are 3 sets of 2-packs that use both the #1 and #31 cars, packed with Riddler, Penguin, and Killer Croc cars. The Collector's Edition 2-packs (boxed in hard plastic protective cases) have featured the Batman Forever and Batman & Robin movie cars in the first set, then a 1989 Batmobile packed with the armored Batmobile from the same film. That 1/18 scale Hot Wheels 1989 Batmobile not only has an opening canopy and slide-out turbine engine, but the machine-gun panels flip open, too.

Scored a Target value-pack of "The Batman" Zip Attack Batman and The Joker. The cartoon debuted this past Saturday ... it was OK, but it has too much of an anime design sensibility to it. BTAS still is the ultimate Batman series, IMHO. Unless they start adding more villains to this line, these will be the only two figures from this line I'll be bothering with.

Mattel issued 2 other TRU-exclusive animated Batman 4-packs. One came with an all-new sculpt of The Penguin based on the retro comic design used in "The New Batman Adventures" (sadly, I forget who the other 2 figures were, besides the obligatory Batman rehash). Recently, I spotted a "Claws of Catwoman" 4-pack that reuses the scratched-up Batman from the Batman vs. Catwoman 2-pack, then added "clawed" versions of Robin, Batgirl, and even Catwoman herself! (Um, who clawed her up?)

As far as the 6" Batman line goes, other than the Bane and Scarecrow figures I'm not interested in any of it. I've got Zipline Batman, Robin (1st version), The Joker, Mr. Freeze, and Killer Croc. Unless that Super-Articulated Batman just impresses the heck out of me, I'll only be getting whatever villains they add before the line self-imolates. Which, actually, wouldn't be such a bad thing, as Batman is starting to seriously cut into my budget for STAR WARS toys! :eek:

LTBasker
09-15-2004, 08:05 AM
Looks like the 6" Mattel line isn't far from ending seeing as Target and Wal-Mart have both stopped carrying it. They seem to have opted to carrying "The Batman" instead, which I can't see being all that successful because if the rest of the series is anything like the first episode, it'll end by first season. I may still get the rest of the figures I planned on getting (Manbat, grey Bats) seeing as I already have Joker and Bruce. I like the designs, but they turned the Joker into freaking Disney's Tarzan - which also explains the dredds!

LTBasker
09-30-2004, 11:20 PM
Well guys anyone who missed out on the 6" Bruce Wayne figure (I know I did!) we'll have another chance at getting it. From ActionfigureXpress:

Case of twelve (12) figures includes 2 x Zipline Batman, 2 x Bruce Wayne / Batman, 2 x Shield Strike Batman, 2 x Dual Blade Batman, 2 x Crossbow Batman, 1 x Acid Blast Batman (Actually I think that's the new Joker), and 1 x Acid Shield Batman

JediTricks
10-01-2004, 09:54 PM
I didn't even know it was ever released!

Hellboy
10-18-2004, 01:01 AM
I picked up the Dark Knight set last week and think it looks really nice even though I do have a few minor complaints. The first being the color of Robin's portion of the sidewalk is a lighter shade of grey than the other 3. Maybe it was done intentionally because it's right beneath the lamp post but I think it would've looked better if the whole thing matched. I'm also having trouble with Batman's stance which causes him to tip over backwards. A peg hole in each foot could have solved this problem but oh well, it's still a great set.

I really like how the end of the lamp post glows in the dark. Hold it under a light first to get the maximun effect. :cool:

JediTricks
10-25-2004, 10:02 PM
Hitting TRU the other day, I noticed the Corgi 1/43rd boxed vehicles from wave 1, but they also had those wave 1 vehicles in a boxed set as well, and then I noticed that some of the boxed sets had black '40s and '60s batmobiles like the single versions but some were metallic blue like the batmarine. So, variant city rears its ugly head.

LTBasker
10-26-2004, 03:08 PM
How much was the boxset JT? I just recently have been seeing the 1/43s show up in good amounts. Pretty strong sellers though...in some areas (all around my area) I've noticed the 60's Batmobile is a STRONG seller as it's gotten hard to find here. In an older city though, I saw that the 40's Batmobile is a stronger seller than the 60's Batmobile. Pretty weird...

Have you seen the 80's Batmobile? I've seen it available online with the four from wave 1 (but both sites want $10 for the 1/43s!!) but haven't seen it in stores.

JediTricks
10-26-2004, 08:26 PM
I dunno how much the price is, and it's not listed on the TRU website for some reason. I seem to remember it being $19.99, which would be a savings of $4, but I am not totally sure.

As cool as the '40s batmobile is, I cannot see it outselling the '60s one, not even close because the '60s one is really iconic, plus it looks like the TV show version (or rather, I think the TV show one looks like this).

As for the '80s one, it's available in the UK already, it's been up on Corgi's website, but I am pretty sure they're holding back on it here in the US until the entire 2nd wave is ready to ship.

LTBasker
10-26-2004, 11:06 PM
As cool as the '40s batmobile is, I cannot see it outselling the '60s one, not even close because the '60s one is really iconic, plus it looks like the TV show version (or rather, I think the TV show one looks like this).

I know..it was weird. They had like 6-8 of the 60's Batmobile but I didn't see a single 40's Batmobile.

You're probably right on wave 2, I hope that gets here soon. Are you getting the Joker mobile or just the batmobiles?

LTBasker
10-27-2004, 04:01 PM
*sigh* I had a dream last night about finding the 80's Batmobile and series 2. I really need a life y'know it? :p Btw it had some really nice detail! ;)

plasticfetish
10-28-2004, 02:22 AM
I'm pretty sure my local comic book shop has a few of the '80s Batmobiles. Oddly, that's the only one they have. (It's too expensive there, so I've held off.)

I've seen those sets at TRU a few times now. I wish I'd seen them earlier, I would have just bought one of those to open. So far I've found the '60s Batmobile (at KB, so it was overpriced) and then the '04, '40s and Batmarine at W*M. Where is that Jokermobile anyway?

JediTricks
10-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Basker, if the Jokermobile does what I think it does (I think it extends), I'll be getting it too. Although I don't have any of the 3 larger sized vehicles in this series, I am pretty much sure I'll be getting all of wave 2 if nothing else just to have a complete collection (though I suspect I'll dig 'em all too much to let that be the only reason ;)).

PF, I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but I think you are asking why it's not on shelves, in which case I'll say that Jokermobile is in wave 2 which unfortunately ain't out yet.

JediTricks
11-10-2004, 12:21 AM
Picked up "The Batman" Bane figure, saw Man-bat as well, but I don't care for that character at all.

Bane is not bad, he's a very big figure, but only as tall as a regular Bats. He's got an action gimmick, pull his torso back and his arms raise, let go and they smash down - his shoulders can pop out for alternate poses, and his wrists are articulated. He has a really hard time standing, the feet are too far forward thanks to the bent knees. The angry look works, especially if you've seen him on the show, it seems laughable but actually looks good out of the package. The rubbery hoses are a good touch, brings something special to the table. All in all, he's worth getting.

Hellboy
11-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Yeah I saw Bane and Man-Bat today as well but passed. I'm still somewhat on the fence as to whether I'm going to collect things from this line. I purchased a few figures from the first wave and wasn't really that impressed but Bane did look cool with his red skin and yellow hoses all over him. Man-Bat looked a little odd and the picture of him with wings spread on the card back didn't seem to match up to the figure in the package. The material of his wings looks cheaper in person but then again maybe I'm being unfair since I haven't actually seen him outside the package.

JediTricks
11-10-2004, 07:24 PM
No, you are correct about Man-bat being a little different and having cheapy looking wings. Some folks like them though, but I was decidedly not among them.

They're making it so hard to get into this line, they released 2 more vehicles, another small boxed vehicle with a permanent figure (this time it's a teeny tiny lame needle jet) and the other was a $50 batmobile with spread-apart wheels, silly giant exhaust pipes, "batlink" ugly removable box on top that does the batwave thing - I hate it, but like the general design of the car a lot more than the regular batmobile in this line, this new design is closer to the last animated batmobile and has an opening cockpit.

Hellboy
11-11-2004, 05:07 PM
I took a closer look at Bane and Man-Bat today while in Target and noticed major differences on both figures compared to what is shown on the cardbacks. On the cardback Bane has solid yellow colored tubes on his body rather than the transparent yellow tubes present on the actual figure. In addition to that he has purple coloring on his hands and at the end of the tubes where they connect to his body while on the figure itself no purple is present at all. On the cardback Man-Bat's shorts are blue and his wings are sky blue with viens running through them. The actual figure's shorts are grey and his wings are light grey with veins barely visable. In the case of Bane the actual figure looks better than what is shown on the cardback but unfortunately the same can't be said about Man-Bat. Regardless I still broke down and bought both. :crazed:

JediTricks
11-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Be careful with Bane, I took off his hoses yesterday and the peg in the back of his head came with it - it can be slid back into place, but it'll need to be reglued.

JediTricks
11-25-2004, 05:10 PM
Picked up the Corgi wave 2 1/43 era-2000 Batmobile at TRU last night, I like it more than I expected to. The giant wings are pretty dopey, but the basic design is ok and the construction of the toy is very nice. The action gimmick is really nifty too, push a button and the entire canopy pops open revealing the interior.

So, keep an eye out at TRU for the second wave of this fantastic line.

JediTricks
12-14-2004, 09:05 PM
Well, I'm glad to report I picked up the 1980s Batmobile last night, again at TRU, and I see by the ebay listings that the 1990s Batmobile and '50s Jokermobile are also out (and the Jokermobile looks 5 times better than the proto photo). The '80s Batmobile has an opening hood and detailed engine underneath, the hood is easier to open if you push on the nose end rather than try to lift from the far end. The overall design reminds me of the '80s Batmobiles, and a little of the Superfriends version. I like how it's thicker than it seems, makes it more realistic while still looking aerodynamic. Unfortunately, the windshields are a little bulbous and the bat-logos have small "tm" marks next to them which never looks good, but I'm still glad to have this piece.

JediTricks
12-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Picked up the "The Batman" 3-in-1 Batjet, total piece of crap, avoid like the plague, save your $20 for anything else. Annoying noises that never stop, simplistic design, not very jet-like, just bad all over IMO.

It does have photos of newest figs though, including Penguin who is already out, Firefly, and a Batman that looks to be regular-outfitted Bats with removable chest weapon.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Pics of the Batman Begins figures have hit over at LOG. They asked that their images don't get posted on other sites, so here is a link to the thread talking about it. There is more on the second page too, close ups.

http://legionsofgotham.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=news&action=display&num=1103780628

Once this gets official release, i'll post pics, but for now, this'll have to do.

I don't like the Batman variations (surprise) but the Bruce Wayne, Gahl and the Scarecrow figures look good, especially Scarecrow. Looks like this is going to be another Mattel-esque wave with all the batmans, but here's to hoping that they pack the non-bats figures a bit better. :D

JediTricks
12-27-2004, 11:18 PM
Man, look at the endless junk bat-variants! The only thing I like is that the size is 5", roughly the same as the animated line. As good as the current 6" Batman line is (well, the non-crazy-variant figs anyway), I like the smaller scale a little better. The Hot Wheels Batmobile is screwed up with the tires on the outside of the front end, that stinks. The "armored speedbike" motorcycle is another bump-n-go so probably another dedicated figure, that stinks. The deluxe figures all look like crap. 14" Batman looks like he could be good, but may have not much articulation which would bury him. Batmobile toy looks like it could be good if those ugly side missile launchers were retractable or removable. And that stuffed Batman is just sad. ;) All in all, I think Mattel may actually be worse than Hasbro! :(

On the personal side, I got the Corgi 1/18th 2000 Batmobile and the 1/24th 1960s Batmobile for xmas, can't wait to actually open them and check 'em out, they look awesome.

And I picked up a wave 2 The Batman figure, deluxe "Battle Wing Batman", with pop-out wing backpack. Decent figure, colors are too light but not neon, backpack is awesome except Mattel jerks permanently attached 2 big missile launcher engines to the back of the wingpack, and added neck tilt articulation but severely limited it. The figure has a slightly updated sculpt, closer to the show than the wave 1 sculpts, the face, head, and body proportions are all more like the show now.

RooJay
12-30-2004, 03:32 PM
On a related note, I'm starting to see Justice League Unlimited figures popping up all over. I have yet to see any of the new characters but the new Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern and Hawkgirl variants are all over around here. Aside from the fact that they're just more of the same repaints they actually look pretty cool, and I love the new (and smaller) packaging!

Hellboy
12-30-2004, 07:56 PM
I've noticed the new JL Unlimited figures as well but as usual I'm passing on all the silly repaints. Haven't found any of the new characters yet but hopefully I will soon, and I agree the new smaller package design is a big improvement.

JediTricks
12-31-2004, 02:04 AM
Big improvement and big savings, TRU is asking $2 less than the previous JL figures, makes sense to me AND looks better doing it.

I picked up the Art Asylum C3 Batmobile yesterday, damn thing was missing a bag of parts though (they packed a second of another bag in its place) so I had to go back and get a replacement today. This is the first C3 set where the building block set is more impressive than the figure, the Batmobile is flawed (colors switch from blue to black with a line of yellow trim, more crappy minimal-rubber wheels, yellow canopy, oversized bat-wings, and plain engine) but is pretty cool all around. It has seating for 2 figures, the missile launcher folds down to double as the twin jet exhausts, the engine compartment opens, the wheel hubs pull out to become tire slashers, the running board slides out to trip bad guys, and the design is loosely based on the '89 Batmobile which is my favorite. The figure has a new cowl and cape though both are very reminiscent of other Batman minimate pieces, an accessory that really doesn't look like anything, and a cape that wraps around him (you have to take his arms off though and it doesn't touch the ground). All in all, at $20 this is a worthy buy.

JediTricks
01-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Picked up the Corgi 1990s Batmobile last night, this thing is awesome, maybe the best of the series. It's a great likeness from the comics (or at least as I remember it), the non-opening cockpit has some nice detail inside, the wheels have bat-logos even though you can't see them and the tires are fat, the engine detail is quite nifty, and the overall shape is wide and low-slung. I almost bought 2 of these, but held back for some reason, next time I see another one though I'm buying it.

JediTricks
01-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Found a lone '50s Jokermobile at TRU and bought it along with another '90s Batmobile. Jokermobile is probably the lightest of the series and has the most plastic, but it's pretty big too so it's not a ripoff. The gimmick isn't quite as well done as the similar one on the 2000 v2 Batmobile, here you push the joker face on the car and the big green canopy pops open revealing a well-painted Joker driving. The underside of the car is purple plastic with a Joker in relief instead of Batman that all the other cars have. Corgi totally rocks with this series!

plasticfetish
01-29-2005, 03:15 AM
:) Wow, very cool! I'd pretty much given up on ever seeing a Jokermobile. Glad to hear that there's maybe a slight chance that I'll find one.

JediTricks
02-01-2005, 03:10 AM
Just keep checking TRUs and you'll almost certainly find it, especially now that TRU has gone through a lot more of their stock thanks to the recent "buy one get one free" deal. This line seems to be a real sleeper success, I think Corgi is releasing the wave 2 vehicles into cases slowly 1 at a time instead of all at once which is why we're only seeing a few at a time and rarely more than one version.

LTBasker
02-01-2005, 01:23 PM
So far what I've seen they're only releasing two from wave 2 to Wal-Mart. The shipments I've seen are made up of all of wave 1 rereleases and the 1980's and 90's Batmobiles.

JediTricks
02-02-2005, 06:07 AM
Wow, you're seeing them in WMs still? I haven't seen them in WM in ages, absolutely none from wave 2. My guess is that WM slow-sold them during the holidays and have so much left-over stock backed up from this line that they're only now getting to the cases that segued into wave 2.

LTBasker
02-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Down here they all seemed to sell here over the holidays like hotcakes. The wave 1 vehicles I noticed were all case-fresh like the wave 2 vehicles. You can always tell which vehicles have arrived newest, the ones that have been there for a few days are always beat to hell. Either they're very prone to quick shelf-ware or people get really abusive with'em...

JediTricks
02-03-2005, 09:08 PM
That's pretty different from here, usually even the oldest boxes are in good shape, though most of the line does move at a strong and steady pace. That's at TRU of course, at WM when they had 'em they either hid 'em or they sold out like lightning.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-06-2005, 12:31 PM
The Bane and Scarecrow figures have been spotted at K-Marts in Australia. Here are some carded pics from ozfigures.com I don't think bane comes with the bear, but we'll have to see.

LTBasker
02-06-2005, 05:18 PM
They have no hope to show up in the US and they're 1 per case to boot. Man how did we get so lucky? :rolleyes:

plasticfetish
02-11-2005, 06:36 AM
I forgot to post this earlier, but day before yesterday I saw "Batman Begins" figures at my local comicbook shop. There were a few different Batman figures, a Bruce Wayne and The Scarecrow. I was not wildly impressed by the toys -- I may take a look at them again later, but for now... eh.

JediTricks
02-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Dang, these are already out? I guess Mattel saw what Toy Biz did with the Spider-man movie figs and wants in. How big were these in person?

I picked up Triple-Shot Batman at Target last night, it's so hard to find one with decent paint though.

LTBasker
02-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Batman begins figures are supposed to be 5" like all the Kenner movie figs I guess. Which really bites because I wouldn't mind buying them if they were 6". Now I don't think I'll get'em unless I really really really really really like the movie, but their detail and paint application will also be deciding factors.

At least to anyone who wanted the B.Begins Bruce Wayne figure to be in 6" for an Equilibrium Preston figure can still rely on that American Pyscho figure coming out. :D

JediTricks
02-11-2005, 08:33 PM
I thought Mattel said they were gonna be 4.5" scale, which is what they're using for JLU right now. I was hoping they at least were gonna be 5" which is what they're using for The Batman.

LTBasker
02-11-2005, 10:08 PM
4.5" and 5" seem to be about the same, I've heard JL figures referred to as 5" so I guess they'll be 4.5". I really get confused on this whole scaling thing. It's like how SW figures are usually referred to as 3 3/4" and just 4".

plasticfetish
02-12-2005, 05:20 AM
Dang, these are already out? I guess Mattel saw what Toy Biz did with the Spider-man movie figs and wants in. How big were these in person?They're the same size as the "The Batman" animated series figures, and They're similarly sculpted, etc. (That's how I'm remembering them now.) So... I suppose they're around 6", but not smaller than 5".

JediTricks
02-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Here's the thing, the JLU figures are 4.5", but they're nearly a head shorter than "The Batman" figures which are 5", thus incompatible with each other except as Batman and Bat-son.

Sounds like I'll need to see these in person. So far, the only piece from this movie line I'm definitely sold on is the Batmobile because I have a thing for vehicles.

jjreason
02-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Well I found the Man-Bat and Penquin figures from "the Batman" line at WalMart last night and (like an idiot) passed on them. Thinking the better of that this morning, I hurried back to get them and of course they were gone. I haven't collected either of the last 2 lines (or any Batman figures for that matter) but have made a point of picking up the harder to find figures for others - which is what I should have done here. Please tell me you guys are finding them down there in decent numbers....... :(

Hellboy
02-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Please tell me you guys are finding them down there in decent numbers....... :(

Pretty common in my neck of the woods. Actually the only figure I've yet to capture is that illusive Firefly.