PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro's Jedi Point Auctions Suck!!!

Imperialist_14
07-18-2003, 10:55 PM
Hasbro's announcement today that they will be auctioning off some exclusive figures on Ebay in exchange for Jedi Master Points is probably the most idiotic idea Hasbro has come up with since they took over the SW Line!!!

Hasbro has chosen to slap the face of the vast majority of SW Figure Collectors - carded collectors who have a small amount of loose figures; loose collectors who don't have thousands of figures in their collection; and Non-U.S. Collectors, who will not be allowed to place bids in these auctions!

At the very least, Hasbro should have offered some of the more common figures - the same ones that KB Toys is currently practically giving away - in cute Hasbro baggies for a small amount of Jedi Master Points.

And if Hasbro wanted to get rid of some of their Silver Vaders, Saculs or whatever, they should have made those available for mega points w/o the need for an auction!

But instead, Hasbro has chosen to pit collector against collector, in a fight that only the truly mega collectors can win - and in the process have alienated their customers!!! Totally brilliant idea!!! :stupid:

IMHO Hasbro has screwed the pooch on this one!!!

Beast
07-18-2003, 11:02 PM
Carded collectors would have to open their figures for the points, no matter what the offer. We don't even know all what their going to offer yet. And most of the people that have thousands of figures, probably won't need a Jorg Sacul, Toy Fair Vader, or anything along those lines anyway. I'd wait til I see the whole promotion and see what's offered before I bemoan the idea. As they say, It's better then nothing. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
07-19-2003, 07:44 AM
We dunno how many there will be of each either, hopefully there will be quite a few. Who knows, even if you don't win it could be a good chance for some peg warmers to be cleared out in the stores. So you may not score one figure but you could end up scoring a whole wave! :)

jjreason
07-19-2003, 09:57 AM
I hope there are a few less-desirable things, I have over 2000 points to blow and would rather get a whack of stuff than lose out on the TF Vader.

Hellboy
07-19-2003, 03:15 PM
In a perfect world Hasbro would offer army builders like CT Stormie and the Endor Rebel Soldiers for the JM points since some of these army builders went straight to the online stores instead of the fan club. Think about it, the people who open figures are obviously the ones spending their points and they probably have everything they want plus who doesn't want to build up their ranks a bit. I personally am not interested in any of the items listed so far since I already have them so why not offer something to the serious collector by giving us the opportunity to get something we're willing to buy multiples of. :frus:

Dr Zoltar
07-19-2003, 05:00 PM
So is Hasbro telling us that some of the exclusive figures, which I was under the belief were all out in the market, where being stock piled by Hasbro? What gives? I had to go to the secondary market to get my Silver Vader and Jorge Sacul because Hasbro had no more. What about the offer they had on their website selling the Silver Vaders a couple of years ago? They stated that an extra box was found so they wanted to sell them to the public outside of conventions.

So Hasbro was really keeping some hidden from the public instead of circulating them to those who wanted them. Way to go Hasblow...

Kidhuman
07-20-2003, 08:58 PM
Either way I think it sucks. There is no way I am opening all my figures just to win an auction. There are five thousand people on this sight alone. Plus all the other sites, and people that collect that arent on them, it will be mayhem. I know for a fact I have a few thousand points, but will not ruin my collection just for an auction.

Sidiously Darth
07-21-2003, 08:32 PM
I have some real problems with Hasbro's decision here. For one, I feel for the carded collectors. Not only that, but I think that just about any normal everyday collector is going to lose out. Even if Hasbro throws up 30 Saculs, 30 Vaders, etc, the everyday collector is still going to lose. Why you ask? Scalpers, Collectible Shops & Online Retailers will be the winners of these auctions.

I know there are some secondary marketers out there swimming in stuff they can't get rid of. Why not take the points and go after something they can turn for a profit.

I'm sure a few of the auctions will go to what is being dubbed as the "true collectors". Come on, I've even seen that attitude here. So and So spends all this money on SW and that makes him/her more of a fan. Get Real! You cannont judge a fan by the size of their collection or how much money they drop each week on the toys.

It's funny how they say you should bid early. I guess you'll have loads of fun over the length of the auction watching the bids mount.

Maybe my attitude will change once all the details are out. I just see this as an another avenue for the people and businesses out there already overcharging the everyday, not so wealthy, have other responsibilities type collectors.

Jargo
07-21-2003, 08:58 PM
It's another elitist venture from an already pro-elitist xenophobic company. I totally agree with Imperialist_14. This completely excludes anyone outside North America. How civil of hasbroken.

bobafrett
07-21-2003, 11:53 PM
I have very few of my figures open. I have some figures open, but not enough to even compete for one of these auctions. I might as well just throw out the Jedi Masters points. Hasbro is going to get an earful from me at Wizard World this year.

stillakid
07-22-2003, 12:52 AM
It might be cool if you could bid on a special "large" hole punch designed especially for extracting the Point circles! :)

But then again, you'd have to turn in the points first before getting the hole punch thingie... :( Awww, this'll never work.

2-1B
07-22-2003, 01:07 AM
I threw my stash of Jedi points in the trash a few years ago and I am even happier now after reading about these "auctions." :)

El Chuxter
07-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Way to blow it again, Hasbro. :mad: You could've at least used the points to mail-order reissue figures (much as you did with Transformers and GIJoe back in the day). I'd part with a gazillion points for a Sio Bibble or Eopie Qui-Gon, but I suppose there's no chance now.

Trip J
07-22-2003, 01:21 PM
Well, well.

Looky at what we have here:

Jedi Points Auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3139407774&category=2476)

And, it's up to $50.

Brilliant call, Hasbro!

Imperialist_14
07-22-2003, 03:24 PM
Well, well.

Looky at what we have here:

Jedi Points Auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3139407774&category=2476)

And, it's up to $50.

Brilliant call, Hasbro!

Posted the same auction at Rebelscum! This is the first of many that I am sure we will see in the next several months because of Hasbro's idiotic idea!

yngadult
08-15-2003, 05:28 PM
I had a bunch that I kept since the collection began in 1995/6. I got rid of them last year as Hasbro did not do anything with them for seven years. Now this.