PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Point Auction thread (merged)

Lman316
07-19-2003, 10:16 AM
Okay, I've been seeing everywhere that Hasbro is finally going to let us use our Jedi Master Points. I know it's going to be in auction format and that the points will be like currency. But when exactly do they plan on doing this?

When I read about it last night, I went and counted all my JMP's and it comes close to four thousand :crazed:. Hopefully I'll be able to bid on something with that :D.

End...

Hellboy
07-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Taking into consideration how long we've had to wait for Hasbro to do something with the JM Points I'm not sure I like this idea so much. First off how is this rewarding the collector like myself and many of you who already have all the items listed. I know they said there would be Beasts and other items announced soon but the meat of this seems to be old product. Some sort of new or exclusive items would be a little more appropriate for rewarding the person who buys everything IMO. I suppose having people bid on things will work but how much of the rarer items will actually be available and how out of control will the bidding get? Why not just sell the items through an online type store so everyone has an opportunity to use all their JM points wisely. Not only is this stuff only available for 3 months but they're saying this might be the only time we can use the points. I have a feeling many people will come away empty handed and I think Hasbro owes it to their fans to make sure everyone gets a fair opportunity to cash in all their JM Points.

I can see it now the "3 month trial period" will do so well that Hasbro will decide to continue this program with other (possibly new) items only after many fans blew all their points on things they already had or kind of wanted just because they thought it would be their only opportunity at cashing them in. :frus:

Banthaholic
07-19-2003, 12:29 PM
I'm just curious what's Hasbro going to do to enforce that people from bidding points they don't have.
Although sponsored by ebay, they're not dealing with normal currency here. They're dealing with Jedi Points.

Heck if I have 5784 jedi points (some arbitary number I made up) and the auction was at 6100 near close. I could easilt bid 6200 points and ask a forum member to bum me the 316 points I needed to win the auction. Heck we could try to have SSG members pool together to win the 'best' auctions.

I'm going to sit back and wait to see this thing through, but there seems to me to be aot of possible problematic scenarios.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-19-2003, 01:21 PM
Heck if I have 5784 jedi points (some arbitary number I made up) and the auction was at 6100 near close. I could easilt bid 6200 points and ask a forum member to bum me the 316 points I needed to win the auction. Heck we could try to have SSG members pool together to win the 'best' auctions.

I'm going to sit back and wait to see this thing through, but there seems to me to be aot of possible problematic scenarios.

I'm also curious as to how Hasbro will pull this off without alienating the majority of collectors.

I proposed in Tycho's SDCC question thread the same thing you brought up about pooling our JPs together. I can see some people having scads of points and the only way for some to win is by pooling then having an "internal lottery" to decide who ultimately should get the auction item.

Or it could turn out to be good. Maybe all the initial items will get bid high and towards the end of the trial period the only people left with points are those who couldn't afford the higher amounts, leaving some stuff that the average collector can get.

Me, I don't open many figures so I don't have a lot of points. I'd be in for pooling resources if SirSteve wants to run something.

evenflow
07-19-2003, 02:29 PM
I am not really feeling this idea. I think they could have come up with something just a little bit better. It shoudl have been an exclusive figure.

plo koon 200
07-19-2003, 02:59 PM
I HATE THE IDEA!!! I think it is very unfair to the collectors. I do have a Jorg Sacul and a TF Vader but to those who don't this is unfair. It is also unfair to me who won't be able to get anything new. Besides that, I am for the most part a carded collector, despite the fact I have 5000+ points from my small lose collection.

How does the program work for the lose collector? How much money is 10 points worth? 1 dollar? 50 cents? I don't know. We aren't going to bid with real money.

aikman8_1999
07-21-2003, 12:10 AM
umm I guess I missed the discussion but , anyone have any thoughts on this?

JEDI POINTS!
Philip: Source: Starwars.hasbro.com

Comic-Con Announcements

For those of you who arenít attending Comic-Con this week, here is what we unveiled today at our presentation.

We are pleased to announce the creation of Jedi Master Points Auctions. Since 1999, youíve been saving up your points, and we have finally come up with a way for you to use them. Scheduled for launch in September, Jedi Master Point Auctions will enable registered users of www.starwars.hasbro.com to use their Jedi Master Points as currency in a series of online auctions. We are still finalizing what will be auctioned on the site, but we will have hard-to-find items like Jorg Sacul, Toy Fair Darth Vader and the R2-D2 Astromech Droid. The promotion is scheduled to run for a three-month trial period. We will then evaluate the program for the future; however, this may be the only opportunity to ever use your Jedi Master Points, so donít save them up for something in the future! The total number of auctions will also be limited, so bid early. As more details about the promotion are finalized, we will post on the website, so check back here.

The other major topic was a preview of our plans for 2004. Basic figures will be combined into one collection, and our goal is to release a new wave each month, with three to four new figures per wave. Each wave will have a theme, and the tentative themes for the first five waves were announced, as well as some examples of figures planned for each wave. The themes and some examples are as follows:

Wave 1 - Hoth

Luke Skywalker, Wampa Cave

Wave 2 - Tatooine

Luke Skywalker, ROTJ (previously shown on our website)

Wave 3 - Jabbaís Palace

Wave 4 - Battle of Yavin

Captain Antilles (Fansí Choice #5)

General Dodonna (close runner up to Antilles)

Wave 5 - Star Destroyer

Dengar (with backpack)

Also announced was the introduction of a new assortment at the deluxe price point in 2004. This line was created to offer characters and accessories that are too large to fit in our basic figure line while remaining true to our 3 ĺ" scale. There are seven figures in total, which will only be available in the Spring, and where possible, many of the figures will fit into one of the basic figure themes. Examples include the Wampa and a Jabba the Hutt figure that will be featured in an upcoming issue of Star Wars Insider.

aikman8_1999
07-21-2003, 12:19 AM
Not a bad idea really, at least not as bad an idea of letting people stockpile thousands of points and not offering anything.

Obviously this wont effect carded collectors because they wouldnt open their figures either way.

As long as i get something decent for them, some free pegwarmers or what not will be fine. I deserve at least that for helping them stay in business for years. Nothing less would be acceptable.

They SHOULD have offered an exclusive figure every year so that they wouldnt be in this mess to begin with, and dont tell me that would have 'broke the bank'. Other toy lines do it, star wars used to .

Imperialist_14
07-21-2003, 11:04 AM
Not a bad idea really, at least not as bad an idea of letting people stockpile thousands of points and not offering anything.

Obviously this wont effect carded collectors because they wouldnt open their figures either way.

As long as i get something decent for them, some free pegwarmers or what not will be fine. I deserve at least that for helping them stay in business for years. Nothing less would be acceptable.

They SHOULD have offered an exclusive figure every year so that they wouldnt be in this mess to begin with, and dont tell me that would have 'broke the bank'. Other toy lines do it, star wars used to .

I wouldn't count on getting any pegwarmer type figures from Hasbro!!! Hasbro will have to pay a fee for every figure that they auction on Ebay, so there will probably be very few figures available. :greedy:

The Jedi Master Point Auctions are also being discussed in the DEAR HASBRO section!!!

karinations
07-21-2003, 12:06 PM
Cool idea,much better than a SW patch or sticker set.
Hasbro did somthing good here.

-V-

http://www.citizenv.com

karinations
07-21-2003, 12:10 PM
Only problem is,i really haven't saved that many as i never thought they would be good for anything,i had saved some here and there but only really started clipping when the announcement was made they would be doing something with them.
I know there are people like my friend Sean who has every point off every/toy figure he ever bought so im not sure how im actually going to be able to use mine (how would i compete?)but for the people that have been stockpiling them it's a good thing.

-V-

evenflow
07-21-2003, 01:27 PM

Exactly. I am not excited about this promotion at all. I am much more pumped about the list of figures that are coming out. The Wampa looks relaly cool, and I can't wait for Jabba.

jedi67
07-21-2003, 01:33 PM
i was just informed about the jedi points and was told that they are for e-bay only now if this is true
the people in charge of that idea was not thinking of the collectors that do not have a credit card as e-bay requires for membership not all collectors have a credit card come on people can we keep it simple hint hint maybe just an online store where the points are money and the figures sell at regular prices
ther ya go i think people would love that idea. simplicity!!

keithfite
07-21-2003, 06:28 PM
simplicity RULES and they arent being simple. sometimes I think hasbro employees get drunk and sit around laughing. They just wonder what the most akward, pointless act they can do is. This has been one of those acts. I think this idea sucks, but hasbro thinks it dosnt suck, and that my friends.....sucks

t7400
07-21-2003, 09:25 PM
simplicity RULES and they arent being simple. sometimes I think hasbro employees get drunk and sit around laughing. They just wonder what the most akward, pointless act they can do is. This has been one of those acts. I think this idea sucks, but hasbro thinks it dosnt suck, and that my friends.....sucks

I have to agree. This is the worst idea ever. I just can't help but feel that yet again, they're giving us the finger. Just give us a free figure already!

gsr-jedi
07-22-2003, 12:21 AM
"Hasbro, hearing of your Jedi Master Points auction idea, terrible. Seeing you change the format soon and available make items in a web-store, brings warm feelings to my heart."

But seriously though, this idea sucks. Especially for us carded collectors. Hasbro, if you didn't know, WE'VE BOUGHT PLENTY OF STUFF TOO, BUT THE JMP ARE STILL ON THE CARD!!! I don't have that many points maybe about 1000 max, so I know I'm pretty much screwed out of getting anything. They should have made the points available in a store format, and/or had exclusive figures available through this.

Tycho
07-22-2003, 12:42 AM
I forwarded your suggestions from these message threads to make a new poster of all the figures, or scenes with the figures.

I also forwarded your suggestion to make clear stands available.

These would be purchased with Jedi Master points.

Hasbro wrote them down during the meeting with the Big 3 websites, so 2 reps each from RS and GH were also witness to this, besides SirSteve and myself from SSG, everyone amongst the fan sites thinking it was a reasonable idea.

aikman8_1999
07-22-2003, 01:10 AM
Like it or not, this is the best its gonna get folks, some cheesy stands or cardboard cutouts. Thats not even worth my time (or the thousands of $ Ive dropped on SW)

aikman8_1999
07-22-2003, 01:15 AM
Carded collectors are screwed, you need to open em (hint hint).

Because they waited soooo long they have no choice but to pretty much screw everyone.

They wont offer a free figure (or any other decent item )because they claim they would go bankrupt doing it.

So they give us 'chances' to get something.
Better than nothing but not what everyone was expecting (based on prior point trade systems).

Oh and ya need store reciepts for your jedi points to count , wait till that bomb hits.

abell748
07-22-2003, 10:25 AM
i liked when hasblow did the mace windu preview fig, the slide holders, and the slide binoculars with the old points. why in the world do i want to bid on stuff that i already have? the other promotions they did seemed to have gone well, why not do more stuff like that? this system only benefits those with thousands upon thousands of points while the rest of us still have no real use for our jedi points. in my youth, when gi joe first came out, you could trade in your flag points for different vehicles and figures. why not offer some of the exclusive ships in a plain white mailer box for those that what the ship loose, but does not not want to pay the price for a mimb y-wing just so that i can open it? i would be cool with forking over a few bucks with my jedi points to have something like that happen. then hasblow can't say that giving out freebies to the people who keep them afloat will bankrupt them, they would get some cash.

aikman8_1999
07-22-2003, 10:51 PM
... i would be cool with forking over a few bucks with my jedi points to have something like that happen. then hasblow can't say that giving out freebies to the people who keep them afloat will bankrupt them, they would get some cash.

I got an idea, whenever figures do show up , boycott them, dont buy em , let hasblo get rid of the license so a real company can make them.
Im fed up with them, they have done everything they can to ****** off collectors.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-22-2003, 11:27 PM
Oh and ya need store reciepts for your jedi points to count , wait till that bomb hits.

I'm lucky I've saved the receipts for every Star Wars purchase I have made since early 2000. :happy:

But I do agree that there has to be a better way for Hasbro to take in the Jedi Master Points. E-bay auctions tend to be cutthroat and bring out the worst in some people. As someone who is a carded collector (but also I have a fair amount of Jedi Points since I have nearly a 75 open figures, ships, etc.) I am going to get the short end of this. But I guess that is the price I pay for not opening my collection. :mad: Oh well, maybe I can get a loose lightsaber or blaster with all the points I have.

Pooling sounds like a good idea but how are collectors going to share the item they won?

Maybe a better idea would be for Hasbro to put up items that they are overstocked in, the stuff stores have sent back in globs (like a lot of the early Saga figures). They may not be new figures, but it is one way for Hasbro to get rid of their overstock and to satisfy collectors who have the points.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-22-2003, 11:52 PM
Like it or not, this is the best its gonna get folks, some cheesy stands or cardboard cutouts. Thats not even worth my time (or the thousands of $ Ive dropped on SW)

Getting stands or cutouts or whatever is a heck of a lot better than nada. In fact having Hasbro offer figure stands is a great idea. They'd be more likely to do it than make something from scratch since they already have stands made for the repack figures. Yeah I know stands might be bought for cheap but for many of us who don't live near a retailer that sells them, buying them online is not necessarily cheap (stand sellers typically jack you up on the "handling" costs).

At the beginning of the EP1 release Hasbro briefly mentioned the use of JPs to get stuff in the future. They never said when or what. Yes they kind of left us hanging but at least now they're trying to make good.

They're not going to offer figures or something expensive unless they demand receipts. If they did we'd all be at square one so no one would be at an advantage.

Face it. Who ever bought SW stuff just for JPs? Has anybody bought a figure and thought, "Aah, another 10 points for the kitty." Who's even really given it much thought until it was brought up at SDCC? The cash we've spent hasn't been to eventually get a freebie. This isn't frequent flier milage. We buy the figures because it's a hobby and (hopefully) is enjoyable to us.

My position is that an auction may not be the "fairest way" to dole out the SWAG the fan club has laying around, but it's waaaaaay better than nothing. Sign me up for cheap stands any day.

Kidhuman
07-23-2003, 12:22 AM
LBC, maybe you can auction off your points.

Hellboy
07-23-2003, 02:14 PM
WHOA kidhuman what is up with that avatar?? :eek: :eek:

Teeska Mon Eebon
07-23-2003, 05:32 PM
WHOA kidhuman what is up with that avatar?? :eek: :eek:

Yeah!!! You can say that again!! what's up with that? :eek: :confused:

TheDarthVader
07-23-2003, 05:33 PM
kidhuman, doesn't that avatar violate the rules? (not just size) ;)

I only have 1500 points. I am a carded collector. People will be trying to auction their points...I bet. I should do that too. I wonder how much money they'd give for them? LOL J/K

This idea SUCKS. People will be screwed on this deal. Bad news from the start. What is going on with Hasbro saying that we may or may not think of something else to use your points on afterward so bid and use them while you can?? Either they will or they won't. What if you use all of your points only to find that you could've gotten something better later???

stillakid
07-23-2003, 08:08 PM
One card + photo printer = more Jedi Points

plo koon 200
07-23-2003, 09:01 PM
I thought the same thing the moment they mentioned it. The points are way to easy to copy. Ten times more easy than currency. I wouldn't do such a thing but scalpers will and then resell them on ebay. This whole system sucks and is terrible. It is the worst thing Hasblow has ever done and I seriously mean it. This is an absouletly terrible, horrible idea.

Teeska Mon Eebon
07-24-2003, 05:39 PM
One card + photo printer = more Jedi Points + A promotional stunt = Recipts (sp?)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-24-2003, 05:52 PM
Carded collectors, quit your belly-achin'! You would've had to open your figures for any kind of JMP promotion. :rolleyes: I think this is an okay idea, hopefully I'll be able to get a silve Vader (probably not, but oh well). It would be a good idea to put up army builders like Geonosians, Clones and battle droids. I guess we'll have to see on September 1. :)

I really don't want to cut out all those points though . . .

BoShek
07-24-2003, 09:16 PM
This is a poor idea!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-24-2003, 10:18 PM
LBC, maybe you can auction off your points.

Good idea KH,

Do I hear Thirty-five? Thirty-five! Forteeeeeee? Fortee! Fortee-five, Fity? Fity-five, Fity Five? Any, Anyone?

TheDarthVader
07-24-2003, 10:23 PM
I was just looking on ebay and people are already auctioning their points! Do a search either jedi points or jedi master points. One person had 5000+ points with one bid of $50!! Another had 100 points with a bid of $4.99. What on earth?? This is not going to be pretty. :(

Kidhuman
07-24-2003, 10:31 PM
And here I was making a joke about that. What some people will do. Are they giving reciepts with those points, if not they could be useless. What is gonna happen next?

plo koon 200
07-24-2003, 11:30 PM
Getting stands or cutouts or whatever is a heck of a lot better than nada. In fact having Hasbro offer figure stands is a great idea. They'd be more likely to do it than make something from scratch since they already have stands made for the repack figures. Yeah I know stands might be bought for cheap but for many of us who don't live near a retailer that sells them, buying them online is not necessarily cheap (stand sellers typically jack you up on the "handling" costs).

At the beginning of the EP1 release Hasbro briefly mentioned the use of JPs to get stuff in the future. They never said when or what. Yes they kind of left us hanging but at least now they're trying to make good.

They're not going to offer figures or something expensive unless they demand receipts. If they did we'd all be at square one so no one would be at an advantage.

Face it. Who ever bought SW stuff just for JPs? Has anybody bought a figure and thought, "Aah, another 10 points for the kitty." Who's even really given it much thought until it was brought up at SDCC? The cash we've spent hasn't been to eventually get a freebie. This isn't frequent flier milage. We buy the figures because it's a hobby and (hopefully) is enjoyable to us.

My position is that an auction may not be the "fairest way" to dole out the SWAG the fan club has laying around, but it's waaaaaay better than nothing. Sign me up for cheap stands any day.

I actually think reciepts would be a good idea because it would put everyone on the same grounds, including carded collectors. The reason why this is terrible for carded collectors such as me is because I don't have the points easily accesible. I would more than be willing to buy extra pegwarmers if we needed reciepts.