PDA

View Full Version : Hoth Han Solo

tagmac
07-20-2003, 01:40 PM
Anyone know when they're releasing the brown coat version? I'm still waiting for my pre-order from Kebco, and by now I'm assuming that's the version that they'll send me whenever it gets shipped. I found the blue coat version at a flea market today and bought it, just in case they've switched the colors in the later shipments.

Thunderstorm1
07-20-2003, 03:30 PM
I read in the Comic Con news that the Brown Coat Solo will be out later this year. I believe that only the Blue Coat is shipping now!

tgr3328
07-23-2003, 09:20 AM
Why both a brown and blue coat?

Beast
07-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Why both a brown and blue coat?
A very long story, but basically here's the recap. There's a thread around here with the full story. Han Solo's Hoth Coat is Brown with various colored dyes used to weather it some. But in the blue lighting used for the Hoth Base, it appears to be blue in some pictures. When Kenner made the vintage figure, they were given pictures of the coat under this light, and assumed it was blue.

Which has led to the propgation of the thought that Han's Coat was blue. So when it came time for to make the new figure, Hasbro did their best to try to discover the true color of the coat. There was still some confussion, and the people who swear it was blue would have had a fit if brown was made, and the vice versa if blue was. So Hasbro did both, to try to please both parties. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

tgr3328
07-23-2003, 10:13 AM
Thanks. Same story with the brown pants/blue pants Bespin Han?

Tycho
07-23-2003, 11:04 AM
Yes. But they did this with Endor Han.

His pants were really brown with yellow stripes.

Now that I think about it, did the red piping denote "Captain" like the Clones, and the yellow denote "General" like the Clones "commander."

You all know I think that Han is from a new line of Clones...

tagmac
07-23-2003, 05:14 PM
The thing is, with Endor Han this wasn't done because of a controversy - it was a flat out mistake! There was never a dispute, as all Endor pics of Han in "Jedi" show brown pants with the yellow stripe. The figure was initially released with the wrong blue pants, but Hasbro corrected the error in later assortments.

As for the stripes, those have been identified as Correlian blood stripes (or something like that) - nothing to do with the Clones. And seeing as how Han had the yellow stripe in Empire (while still known as captain - the "General" title wasn't until Jedi), I don't think it really had anyhing to do with his military rank.

Jargo
07-29-2003, 03:47 PM
I'm only buying the brown coat version because of course that's the true colouring. :happy: Of course the blue version will be common and the brown variant will be shortpacked and impossible to find as per usual hasbro standards of production with variants.