PDA

View Full Version : Please close this thread too, as it may contain a disagreement of some sort.

JangoFart
07-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Please, Mr. Moderator. There may be a word in here which is negative to your shadow. So, please go ahead and close this one too.

J

2-1B
07-20-2003, 08:50 PM
I think it was foolish for that thread to be closed, I don't think it was meant as a personal attack. Had Thrawn's Q&A been posted as a thread, disagreement would have been more than welcome in the forums.

By the way Dar, I think the capitalized "THREAD CLOSED" tagline has been worn out as well. :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
07-20-2003, 08:52 PM
Agreed. I thought it was just a discussion. No harm no foul.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-20-2003, 08:54 PM
hehehehe I think it was closed cos it was off topic. It started off talking about Thrawn and then got into a discussion about the prequels.

Moved maybe, closed, nah, didn't deserve it. I didn't see any discussion about politics or religion in it. :D

Lucky post 1,000!!! :D

P.S.- I kinda like the "THREAD CLOSED" though variations would be nice. Like,

"No Thread For You!"
"With the Force, This Thread is Not"
"Closed, this Thread Is!"

P.P.S- This is not an attack, i'm just tossing out new taglines here!! :)

Turbowars
07-20-2003, 09:00 PM
hehehehe I think it was closed cos it was off topic. It started off talking about Thrawn and then got into a discussion about the prequels.

Moved maybe, closed, nah, didn't deserve it. I didn't see any discussion about politics or religion in it. :D

Lucky post 1,000!!! :D

P.S.- I kinda like the "THREAD CLOSED" though variations would be nice. Like,

"No Thread For You!"
"With the Force, This Thread is Not"
"Closed, this Thread Is!"

P.P.S- This is not an attack, i'm just tossing out new taglines here!! :)
What did I miss?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Click the thread a few posts down. called "is anybody else tired of Thrawns style?" or something along those lines. Somebody said that they were tired of Thrawn's negative views towards Hasbro and Lucas and then it got into a discussion about the prequels and then it was closed.

Pretty exciting for a sunday evening, lemme tell ya!! :D

Jargo
07-20-2003, 09:10 PM
Click the thread a few posts down. called "is anybody else tired of Thrawns style?" or something along those lines. Somebody said that they were tired of Thrawn's negative views towards Hasbro and Lucas and then it got into a discussion about the prequels and then it was closed.

Pretty exciting for a sunday evening, lemme tell ya!! :DIMO THRAWN is OTT in his replies. To those who know him his style may seem humourous or witty or clever. To many it's blunt rude and arrogant, unnattractive and pompous, innaccurate, sketchy, tedious and pointless. Quite frankly although I love the forums of SSG I hate the Q&A section. The negativity that spews forth from it is unsettling and not fitting for a site of this kind. Were this an adult site THRAWN may fit in perfectly but given that many kids visit here I find THRAWN offensive and insensitive. IMO it's time he stepped down and someone with a genuine love of the subject matter in all forms stepped into the breach.

Beast
07-20-2003, 09:17 PM
Preach it Jargo. You saved me the trouble of opening my mouth on the issue.
Bravo chap. I owe you a spot of tea and some scones. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-20-2003, 09:19 PM
IMO THRAWN is OTT in his replies. To those who know him his style may seem humourous or witty or clever. To many it's blunt rude and arrogant, unnattractive and pompous, innaccurate, sketchy, tedious and pointless. Quite frankly although I love the forums of SSG I hate the Q&A section. The negativity that spews forth from it is unsettling and not fitting for a site of this kind. Were this an adult site THRAWN may fit in perfectly but given that many kids visit here I find THRAWN offensive and insensitive. IMO it's time he stepped down and someone with a genuine love of the subject matter in all forms stepped into the breach.

Jargo- Shhhhhhhh!! You're saying that too loud!!! This thread will get closed too!!! I can almost hear the authorities closing in!!! I think they got our lines tapped!!

Well of course I'd like to sit around and chat
But someone's listening in
-Radiohead

On a side note, i would state my opinion, but I'm not going to start trouble (not saying anybody is, i just don't feel like diving into this right now, no offense to anybody!) or whatnot, i'll keep my mouth shut. I think somebody brought this up in a general discussion thread a while back, but i dunno where it went off too. :D

Lemme make myself some mac and cheese, do some chores and cartoon it up and then i'll come back and dive into this arguement. hehehehehe :crazed:

Turbowars
07-20-2003, 09:21 PM
IMO THRAWN is OTT in his replies. To those who know him his style may seem humourous or witty or clever. To many it's blunt rude and arrogant, unnattractive and pompous, innaccurate, sketchy, tedious and pointless. Quite frankly although I love the forums of SSG I hate the Q&A section. The negativity that spews forth from it is unsettling and not fitting for a site of this kind. Were this an adult site THRAWN may fit in perfectly but given that many kids visit here I find THRAWN offensive and insensitive. IMO it's time he stepped down and someone with a genuine love of the subject matter in all forms stepped into the breach.
There's truth is some of Thrawns posts, but he really puts some people down in the way he answers questions. I do agree with you EJ, but Thrawn has it in tight with SSG, so he's going nowhere soon, but I bet this thread will.;)

plasticfetish
07-20-2003, 10:51 PM
You know, I don't know either Thrawn or Dar' Argol personally so I have no true opinion of them. Same goes for all of you. I do like the fact that they (and you) are involved and have opinions, that they (and you) in one way or another play the same game that I do ... so, naturally I like them (and you) for that.

Regardless if you like Thrawn and his columns or not, this is neither the time nor the place for such a discussion. This, IMO, is a personal attack on a fellow forumite. So therefore . . . .
I disagree about this being the time or place "for such a discussion." Frankly, we're talking about films/toy collecting and debating one individuals opinion over another in relation to those things. If Thrawn has the eggs to post his opinion then I'm sure he can handle knowing that others may be debating over it. I'm not sure where else such a debate would go on ... this "forum" seems to be the logical place. I would not have considered that thread a personal attack on any one individual. The conversation was focused on his opinions and mainly about why they should or should not have merit. I think (IMO) the word "attack" needs to be moderated here. And just the same ... if any of us wants to enjoy the privilege of being able to "share" our opinions with others, we're going to have to focus on what it means to share.

IMO THRAWN is OTT in his replies ...
Not to single your opinion out Jargo, but to some extent it seems a bit ironic. There have been a number of occasions when I might say the same about things that you have posted. I'd hate to see you change your voice though. I value your sense of humor and the thought that you put into your opinions. Likewise, I think JangoFart's statement at the top of the now dead thread was pretty clever. "There are plenty other sites out there that don't bash us over the head like baby seals..." That is brilliant (and it made me laugh) but I don't really see us being "bashed" to one side over the other. I see plenty of opinions that say what Thrawn said and I see plenty that jump to the opposite extreme. I find them all valuable and interesting ... and sure, I don't always agree. Doesn't mean I don't want to see them just the same.

What I don't want to see is people stepping on other people's opinions when they are in some way relevant to the subject of this site.

Jaff
07-20-2003, 11:02 PM
Sorry Jangofart since it was me who was responsible for closing your thread. I mentioned my opinion even though I defended Thrawn's right to speak his and I was pegged as the guy on the grassy noll. So govermant conspirators might ban me from Sirsteves. But in the end I would not have changed one word. In fact I have only one more BLUNT thing to say towards Thrawn. If the prequels are not worthy to be recognized as a SW film than Thrawn would be a hypocrite if he/she goes to see Episode III. You want your thread closed Jango, that's my best shot!!!!

Disclaimers

1. The he/she is not intended to be an insult since sex is unknown.

2. No words are meant to be insultive unless you believe it.

3. The posters name is not really Jaff unless you believe that.

4. In case this post offends you the user emphatically appologizes and will cry in a dark corner while bludgening himself with a 12" Darth Maul figure to cure his evil ways.

5. In case the last sentance offended you because you like the Darth Maul figure than imagine another one.

6. If your opinion differs from this post than acknowledge that my opinion is not worthy and therefore closing this post should be warranted since someone else's viewpoints are absolute.

7. If someone's opinions on this is absolute please refer to my original post which was closed where I advocated against absolutive opinions.

8. That last statement was not meant to be insultive. But the absolute opinion mongers will take it as such. In that case - see disclaimer 4 to understand users position on this subject. :evil:

I am Jabba the Hutt
07-21-2003, 12:05 AM
who is Thrawn? What I mean by that is... why does he have his own Q&A thread? What makes him qualified to have his own Thread? Could I have my own Q&A thread? I have nothing against thrawn.. I've not read many of his posts. I was just wonderhing that's all. :)

JediTricks
07-21-2003, 12:48 AM
The only person "responsible" for getting that thread closed was it's original author for putting it in the wrong place.

In answer to I am Jabba the Hutt's question, Grand Admiral Thrawn has been a reporter and editor here on the site for almost as long as it's existed, since well before I joined in '99. He has had one of the largest SW collections I've ever heard of, and has been dealing with Kenner/Hasbro's variation and error news for at least 5 years, which is why people have been emailing him asking questions about Star Wars for quite a while; his email often has a huge backlog of questions from collectors who recognize something in him that they must trust, otherwise why would they keep emailing? Over years of his reporting, Thrawn has also gained some inside connections within both Lucasfilm and Hasbro.

As head moderator here, I don't take kindly to anybody attacking the mod staff, DA and the rest of them work hard to ensure that people like you are able to use sections like this, part of that includes keeping it free from off-topic threads and personal attacks. If you have a problem with a moderator and/or his actions, you can post about your issue in the Comments/Suggestions section or send me a PM or email in private.

This thread is spamming the forums. Don't any of you for even a second believe that just because you're a regular on these forums that it gives you a right to abuse them or a free pass from me. Spamming these forums is a good way to get suspended or even have your posts purged from the system, not to mention get on my bad side.

Acting spoiled and bratty because you don't agree with something is certainly no way to convince myself or anybody else on the staff to change their minds and see something your way. If I had seen this thread before, I wouldn't have bothered reopening the other thread even after Thrawn himself asked me to.