PDA

View Full Version : Anybody catch "Teen Titans" cartoon?

JediTricks
07-21-2003, 11:56 PM
I used to read the comic when I was a kid, and while there were a few elements from them that survived to the series, most of this felt like standard cartoon stuff. Also, why did Cartoon Network premiere it with the 3rd episode?

QLD
07-22-2003, 12:48 AM
I saw an episode the other day, where Robin was missing, and they lost their hideout to the bad guy. I only read the Titans a few times, and they were OK. But I didn't like the style of this cartoon at all. It felt like I was watching Pokemon or something.

El Chuxter
07-22-2003, 12:15 PM
I haven't yet (I was still in Hawaii w/o a TV when it premiered). What's the lineup?

JediTricks
07-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Lineup of characters?
Robin
some mess they're calling Cyborg that's barely remotely similar to the character ;)
Raven
Beast Boy
over-the-top ridiculous Starfire

So your choice was to either see this or go on your honeymoon? Hmm, I dunno, I'm not an expert, but I think you chose right. :D

El Chuxter
07-23-2003, 11:07 AM
That sucks, JT. I had some high hopes.

I figured it'd be mainly "classic" Teen Titans folks, but was actually hoping maybe a character or two from the excellent Young Justice comic would show up (preferably Impulse, Secret, and/or Arrowette). :(

hamsterboy
07-23-2003, 09:57 PM
No such luck. Yeah most of us think it's crappy but I'm sure there are alot of kids out there that think this thing is great. And in the end,that's all CN is worried about.

JediTricks
07-24-2003, 04:59 AM
At 9 at night, I don't think they're gonna be getting a lot of kids. Rerun is the next day at 10pm, so that won't do it either.

BTW, first ep they showed was 3rd ep, which hinted at "the Hive", which I thought was at least a step towards the right direction. Too bad the actual ep wasn't as close.

As for Titans characters, I was at least expecting more than 5, the tower seems so empty with just these 5 weakly-written characters. Woulda been cool to have Terra, but that would have required the promise of actual WRITING I guess.

BoShek
07-24-2003, 09:10 PM
I saw it. I was expecting a new JL/Batman type of serious cartoon. But this is strictly for kids. :(

Stupid jokes, Japanese style of animation sort of and poor music.

JediTricks
07-24-2003, 11:03 PM
Funny, I found the theme song catchy... a little too catchy really, I can't get it out of my head.

El Chuxter
07-25-2003, 12:09 PM
Is the theme song the sorta "early 90s bubblegum pop" music they play in the commercial? If so, I agree with JT: it's a bit too catchy. :)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-25-2003, 02:18 PM
I saw it last week. It's not what I expected, but I'll give it some time.

JediTricks
07-26-2003, 05:48 AM
Is the theme song the sorta "early 90s bubblegum pop" music they play in the commercial? If so, I agree with JT: it's a bit too catchy. :)
Yeah, but without the commercial's noise covering it up, it's even more "too catchy". :D Anyway, it's on tonight again, so check it if you're up to the task.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-26-2003, 08:18 PM
If I didn't know any better, I'd say they're trying to make Teen Titans seem like anime. Tonight's episode showed a lot of emotional expressions similar to that of anime itself.

hamsterboy
07-28-2003, 05:37 PM
The anime look just doesn't work with Robin. I mean with the goofy way they had his eyes when he got knocked out on the last episode.

CloneTrooperMace
07-28-2003, 06:14 PM
Nope,It looked stupid...;)

JediTricks
07-28-2003, 08:30 PM
Totally agree, this cutesy anime style is over the top here. Plus, the drew Robin wrong, he doesn't wear plain green pants.

El Chuxter
08-04-2003, 10:38 AM
My God.

I saw part of an episode last night, where some "Cinderblock" fella stages a jailbreak and the Titans are conveniently already there. I hadn't believed it could be as bad as I'd heard. I was proven wrong. I couldn't get through ten minutes of it.

This is the worst comic adaptation to television. Birds of Prey? The gamut of Marvel's 1990s cartoons? Lois & Clark? All Emmy material by comparison.

Every character was just wrong. I especially disliked the character who looked like Raven, was called Raven, had Raven's powers, but clearly was based more on the Secret from Young Justice.

If nothing else, aren't they worried about new crossover comic fans? A kid sees JLA and buys the comic, he gets the same characters (only slightly different, except in GL's case). Considering (IIRC) Raven is a villain and Cyborg completely lost his humanity, among many other differences, how will this theoretical kid ever figure out the current Titans book?

JediTricks
08-04-2003, 09:03 PM
As I described it elsewhere, this show is "eye poison".

I totally agree with ya Chux, the characterizations are way off the map. I don't think they got Raven's powers right either.

EDIT - Here's exactly what I posted over at figures.com:
Have you seen this show yet? Eye poison. If this cartoon becomes immensely popular, it proves that someone at Cartoon Network has recently signed a contract in blood.

El Chuxter
08-05-2003, 10:25 AM
I totally agree with ya Chux, the characterizations are way off the map. I don't think they got Raven's powers right either.

Okay, not being a Raven expert, I wasn't sure. So I think this pretender stole some of Secret's powers, too. (Sad, really. I always liked Secret. The "dead girl who has no idea who she is or how she died, just that she has cool powers and Robin is her friend" bit was rather interesting.)

plasticfetish
08-15-2003, 08:20 PM
AND ... if you were wondering about the band that did the theme song (I know you are) ...

"Puffy AmiYumi" (http://www.giantrobot.com/transmissions/44puffy/index.html)

Adam
08-15-2003, 09:13 PM
I thought it was horrid. I haven't even bothered to find out when its on.

JediTricks
08-18-2003, 04:40 AM
I have missed the last 2 eps and don't care. In fact, I went out of my way to avoid it this weekend.

Hellboy
08-23-2003, 02:16 AM
Initially I planned on watching this cartoon but after reading the comments posted here I really didn't have much interest in seeing this show. I finally watched it just out of pure curiousity and man it's even worse than I could ever have imagined. :p I read the comic years ago and this is so far from that I can't see how DC ever let this travesty of a cartoon get off the ground in this form. It's not so much the animation style that is bad but the product as a whole. Even if I was still a kid I would've tuned this show out so who are they targeting with this?

Truly embarrasing. :o

Dr Zoltar
08-25-2003, 12:51 PM
Caught like 5 minutes of this show over the weekend. All I can say is -- pure tripe! It was like "Let's take the Teen Titans and make them all 10 years old (except Cyborg). Then make them look as much like Ash from Pokeman as you can. Of course Cyborg needs to be huge because when you replace human flesh with machine parts it automatically makes you bigger."

DC should be ashamed of itself. Especially since the new revamped Teen Titans comic book is turning out to be so good.