PDA

View Full Version : Bring back Star Wars Playskool sets!

JediTricks
07-22-2003, 01:22 AM
Hasbro, in your recent press release, it says that Playskool is among the core brands that kept the company earning money. The Star Wars "All-in-One Adventures" line of Playskool toys was well-received by both kids and Star Wars collectors when it was released, even though many of Hasbro's retail partners didn't know what to make of the line and unwisely passed on it. The line - only 6 sets in total - was affordable, had strong play value, did not require overly-complex tooling or painting, and had strong appeal in a 26-year-long niche market where the original generation is now buying toys not only for itself, but also for its children. The line had great play features and looked wonderful; with every set containing several unique figures, each was an entire Star Wars adventure in a package.

The characters contained within the line are genuine societal icons which are universally-recognizable to even casual buyers - most parents immediately recognize R2-D2, Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, and other main Star Wars characters on sight. That is built-in brand recognition in a format that, combined with the great design styles of the charming first line, parents can feel good about buying for their young children - which in turn can build a future buying audience for the core Star Wars brand of Hasbro products when those children get older, making this a winning combination for kids, collectors, and Hasbro.

Please do not pass up an opportunity to successfully branch the Star Wars license into a growing market of preschool-aimed toys, especially when the recent Star Wars Playskool line was in so many ways successful despite stalling out from lack of strong market support. This line has its own sort of special magic and lots of potential, it deserves another chance to prove how good it can be.

QLD
07-22-2003, 09:45 AM
I hope they do bring the Playskool lineup back, even though it's not my thing.

However, I would prefer they bring the 3 3/4" line back first. And no I am not being sarcastic, very much anyway.

banthafodder43
07-22-2003, 10:55 AM
I do not own any of the playskool toys but they did start arriving right after my niece was brought into the world and I have gotten all of them for her. She may not understand that I am attempting to Geekify her young, but she does enjoy playing with her Star Wars toys and that alone is worth getting her more of them. Plus she will stay out of my Star Wars toys that much longer hee hee.

El Chuxter
07-22-2003, 12:12 PM
Well, you see, Hasbro sees a definite demand for these, so if they keep with their typical marketing strategy, they'll never make new ones. :cry:

Tycho
07-22-2003, 12:14 PM
I want them!

InsaneJediGirl
07-22-2003, 08:41 PM
I'd like to see more and if no more are made it would be a shame.Kids like these,and Hasbro,its a great way to get them stuck on Star Wars and your product;)

Rogue II
07-22-2003, 09:08 PM
Bring 'em back!

stillakid
07-22-2003, 11:50 PM
I like them. My kid's LOVE them. Everyone who sees my collection just looks at me like I'm nuts. But one glance at the Playskool stuff and they literally can't keep their hands off. These things just scream, "Play with me!"

Please, even when the 3" line peters out, continue to make these adorable toys for all of us.

Thanks!

Kidhuman
07-23-2003, 12:17 AM
These were some of the best SW toys I have ever seen. My kids love them. Make some new sets for us all. I saw no reason to stop producong them

JediTricks
07-23-2003, 12:25 AM
That's another thing I forgot to mention, there seems to be no way for these "collectibles" to be damaged during normal play, which is a massive advantage to collectors who have kids over.

Look at it this way, if Spider-Man can make it in this preschool style, surely there's room for SW.

yngadult
08-14-2003, 03:38 PM
These guys are so cute. My kids and I play with them a lot. They're so durable and portable.
I only hope they'll make army builders with stormtroopers. I bought a few Endor sets just for the Scout troopers. It's not feasible to do the same for Stormtroopers so I'd like to see them availale in small sets.
Oh, I would really like a boba (adult) and Jango Fett :D
Thanks for reading Hasbro.

2-1B
08-15-2003, 01:56 AM
I saw the Falcon set again at KB the other day, the first time I've seen Playskool in quite a long time . . . and seeing the Falcon again made me long for more toys from this line. :(

Rogue II
08-15-2003, 08:41 AM
We managed to find the Falcon set at KB a couple weeks ago and finally gave it to my daughter for her birthday. My wife and I were suprised how excited she was. It held her attention longer than all of the other toys she got for her birthday.