PDA

View Full Version : Surprised more aren't upset Wal-Mart will not carry Jedi Council, Geonosis War Room

Tycho
07-23-2003, 03:43 PM
There's hardly been a reaction to the news on the main page that I recently posted.

How do people feel about not being able to get more Star Wars at Wal-Mart?

All they will carry from now on are the figures (basic and Clone Wars single-carded) and the lightsabers.

Are you all that confident that you'll find

The hailfire droid
Anakin's Jedi Starfighter
Clone Trooper / Jedi 3-packs
The Jedi Council 3-packs (with Oppo Rancisis, Yaddle, Yarael Poof)
Geonosis War Room 3-packs (with Poggle, San Hill, Nute Gunray)

and more of these single-time offerings at only

Target or Toys R Us?

Wouldn't you like one more place to be able to shop for this stuff at retail?

Instead of posting did you all get mad and print a letter from your choices at the top of this forum and let Wal-Mart have it?

Who sent them some hell?

Patient Zero
07-23-2003, 04:02 PM
Not to be depressing, but if things are going to be this bad between E2 and E3 then how the hell is Hasbro going to keep interest enought in the line to get the stores to carry the toys till 2018? I have all but stopped collecting because of the shortage of figures at retail so it has definately affected me as a SW fanatic. :cry:

mtriv73
07-23-2003, 04:04 PM
I'm sad, but not surprised they aren't going to carry anything but the 3-3/4" line. Wal-mart has mishandled the Star Wars line since the first saga product was released. They over ordered items like the cantina sets in some areas leaving others with none at all. To compensate, they severely underordered the Holiday set and the Trash Compactor sets. They have overbought cases of certain waves and left them to rot on the shelves rather than replacing them with new product that will move. When they do get in new product it lasts on the shelf for less than 24 hours and then is not replaced. You would think that last item would tell them there is indeed a market for these toys. They are a big enough chain that if they can't figure out how much is enough or too much to order then perhaps they don't deserve my money. I say good riddance to them. It's one less place to check on toy runs. If they ever get anyone who is competent in there toy purchasing department then I would love to see them back in the game. Until that time, I'm sick of wasting time and gas going to their stores.

icatch9
07-23-2003, 04:16 PM
I'm sad, but not surprised they aren't going to carry anything but the 3-3/4" line. Wal-mart has mishandled the Star Wars line since the first saga product was released. They over ordered items like the cantina sets in some areas leaving others with none at all. To compensate, they severely underordered the Holiday set and the Trash Compactor sets. They have overbought cases of certain waves and left them to rot on the shelves rather than replacing them with new product that will move. When they do get in new product it lasts on the shelf for less than 24 hours and then is not replaced. You would think that last item would tell them there is indeed a market for these toys. They are a big enough chain that if they can't figure out how much is enough or too much to order then perhaps they don't deserve my money. I say good riddance to them. It's one less place to check on toy runs. If they ever get anyone who is competent in there toy purchasing department then I would love to see them back in the game. Until that time, I'm sick of wasting time and gas going to their stores.

I'm with you. I agree, that I've sceen a lot more crappy WM's than good ones. Sure, they are a major retailer, but who cares. If Hasbro makes the stuff, then we'll find it. I'm confident that the Holiday sets will show up somewhere soon. They made the, they've got to sell them. We'll find them at KB sooner or later. Just like lots of other stuff. Again, the only thing I'll have a problem with is if no stores have the stuff, and fans, collectors, and kids have no options of buying the stuff.

From another point of view this could be good, if you take my meaning. Think of WM's statement from Target or TRU's point of view. All of a sudden the biggest store in the world isn't carrying these things. That means, the their main competition is out of the game. So, that means they'll have a somewhat "monopoly" on the Star Wars market in what ever town they are in. To me, from a business point of view that is great!

I hate WM. The only reason I go there is to look at toys. Without them carrying SW I probally won't go as much. I'd rather get my soap and everyday stuff at a store that bothers to clean the isles and the bathrooms....like Target :D.

JEDIpartner
07-23-2003, 05:04 PM
I am not too upset by this only because there are other places to get these items. If, say, W*M decided not to a carry an exclusive it committed to... that's a different story.

This exactly the reason why I joined KEBco. I saw this coming years away no thanks to that bit of poor distribution towards the end of E1 and POTJ.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Well, technically, my local wally worlds haven't carried new SW product in months, so this really doesn't bother me at all. I'm part of the KEBco One of every figure Club, so i don't have to worry about the schmucks at wally world deciding to be anti-SW. Their loss. :D

tagmac
07-23-2003, 05:27 PM
The last time I found something brand new at WM (not counting the first Ep. II figures) was the Imp. gunner, Tusken Raider green card waves - yep, THAT long ago. Any other time, I'd either "just missed it," or found consistent pegwarmers from the new waves. Exclusives - HA! I bought all mine from dealers, cuz the WM by me was notorious for having scalpers get everything first.

Seeing as how it is filthy and a bit out of the way for me anyway, I couldn't care less if WM limits what they carry. As long as Target and TRU continue to carry more stuff, that's good enough for me. Heck, Target is the ONLY place I've found any of the new figures in the last several months.

El Chuxter
07-23-2003, 05:48 PM
"Rage. . . building!! Anger. . . taking over!!!"
"Yeah, yeah, ve've heard it all before."
"No. Rage really taking over!!"

I'm miffed, perturbed, annoyed, etc, but not quite mad. I think it's rather funny that the only things that seem to pegwarm at my WM's are the exact items they plan to continue carrying: the lightsabers and basic figures. Everything else sells relatively quickly (meaning they sit around longer than Marvel Legends chase figures, but not as long as new He-Man figures). Sense made = zero.

Kidhuman
07-23-2003, 05:59 PM
Exactly what you said Chuxter. Those are the only things not selling. 12" line gone in a flash, ships and playsets, gone. I am not upset at all. Target and TRU always get amle amounts of exclusives, if you can beat the scalpers though. I aint mad or perturbed. It justs adds to the thrill of the hunt.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-23-2003, 06:21 PM
I go to Wal-Mart all the time with my mom or dad to buy everyday stuff, and I always look in the SW section. Sometimes they are good for basic figures, in fact a couple of times this year they've gotten in stuff before another place has - sometimes, the other stores never get them in at all. My local Wal-Mart hasn't carried anything but the basic figures and non-electronic sabers since before Christmas - they had space for the sceen scenes, which I never saw there, but I got them at a Wal-Mart several miles away. I'm not really surprised by this news, I mean at least it's good to know now that my Wal-Mart isn't the only one. It's a good thing that the new stuff isn't exclusive to Wal-Mart, I'd be really mad then. Hopefully th cantina sets will be picked up by Target, after they get rid of their $6 acessory packs. :rolleyes:

TheDarthVader
07-23-2003, 06:25 PM
I am not mad at Wal-Mart...just diappointed. And that hurts more. You know what this means to me? Well, first of all, I never find anything at Target because of the employees or scalpers. This news to me just means that all of the other Star Wars items will basically be TRU exclusives. I can find more at TRU than Target. This scares me because I wanted all of the new screen scenes. Here is another scary moment: I went to TRU today to see if they had any new figures and they have put Ep2 speeders on the figure pegs! What in the world is going on there?? I am disappointed...and worried!! :(

jjreason
07-23-2003, 06:25 PM
It's upsetting to me, because WalMart was (hasn't been for some time, but I'd kept hoping...) the only place we could get a decent price on new figures at retail. 5.99 as compared to 8.99 or 10.99 at TRU.

Through POTJ our Canadian WalMarts kept getting the newest figures in decent amounts, I think we only missed the Teebo wave. They were selling out too, except for horrid peggers like Shmi. If they'd kept up that ordering method throughout Saga, we'd still be seeing the same flow of figures in and out. Canada has no Target, and Zellers doesn't seem to be ordering anything new. That's limited options, folks. The loss of Walmart does not bode well for the hobby up here.

jjreason - concerned Canadian.

Hellboy
07-23-2003, 07:14 PM
My local Wal-Mart made the switch to figures and Lightsabers some time ago so I don't stop by as much as I used to. I don't think stores like Wal-Mart or Target care what the consumers think and thats based off of personal experiance dealing with these all-in-one-shoping stores. I'd expect Target to follow WM's lead when they start the fall resets of their toy aisles. I've got no problem taking my buisness elsewhere and have actually found buying my toys online to be far more enjoyable and reliable. Maybe this move by WM will be what kicks TRU in the *** and gets them to focus on being the worlds biggest toy store once more so we all can go there for more than just the latest exclusive.

joe-da
07-23-2003, 07:33 PM
I fear not. 1 word: Kebco.

My Wal-Mart hasn't gotten anything since, like - forever anyway.

jpak001
07-23-2003, 07:41 PM
Yeah, doesn't bother me......... never find anything at WM anyway........ Target seems to be the only major retailer these days.

Phantom-like Menace
07-23-2003, 09:50 PM
I haven't seen anything in stores since January, so if they're telling me they won't have things, that just saves time and money. I've already determined every figure since the beginning of the year is sold as an Internet exclusive through third parties on Ebay. And some of the people on Ebay at least know how to try to keep customers.

stillakid
07-23-2003, 11:37 PM
There's hardly been a reaction to the news on the main page that I recently posted.

How do people feel about not being able to get more Star Wars at Wal-Mart?

For me, Walmart is too far out of my way to make regular trips which have traditionally resulted in finding squat anyhow. Target and TRU are much much closer to me and much closer to one another anyway. If that wasn't enough, I have 4 Targets within 20 minutes of me in all directions, 3 TRU's, and 3 KBToys. Walmart is just too inconvenient to bother with unless they have an exclusive (which I manage to never find there anyway).

But even with the other retailers so close, I rarely manage to visit at a time when the pegs have the newest items on them which is why I punted some time ago and signed up for the One of Every Figure Club at KEBco Toys. No driving around anymore just to be disappointed over and over again. If I'm at a retail store, I will definitely stop by the toy aisle in case of exclusives or army building opportunities, but I just don't make those special store runs anymore. Not enough time. Gas is too much $. And I got tired of finding nothing.

Darth Jax
07-23-2003, 11:40 PM
since the local wal-marts never seemed to carry anything but 3 3/4" figures and lightsabers don't feel like this news means i'll be missing much. i had to drive to WM on other side of town to find tie bomber, and last i saw they still had about 20 of them. have not seen a single saga vehicle at my local WM.

what this news means is that more and more star wars business will be conducted over the internet as another retail location bows out. soon when the only large retailer left carrying SW is TRU, then hasbro will no longer have a reason not to sell to us collectors directly from a website. they've said that the reason they don't is because of their agreements with the major retail locations. but if there aren't major retail locations carrying their product, please bring on the website. i can see a major work-out for my credit card if this becomes the case.

Jaff
07-24-2003, 01:32 AM
Well I'm not surprised, but the hold back towards SW stuff in the retailer market could have been seen coming during Nov last year when the trouble started trying to find Ephant. This was inevitable. Hasbro's cassing assortments needed to be like POTJ. All new figs in every case and no repacking to help clear old product from shelves. Instead 4 or 6 new figures appeared while 6 or 8 figures that were allready on shelves was added to the mess. Honestly from a buisiness point of view I too would have backed away from Hasbro. They did not help the backwash of old figures. They added to the problem. Now Hasbro is fixing all the problems. Kudos to them, but now they need to regain the trust of the major distributors. You can stand by hasbro and blame retailers for the mess, but it takes two to tango. As far as stores choosing not to carry new vehicles and cinema packs thats very stupid because they are unique products and have a record for selling well. All cinema scenes, holiday special, figure sets (except for Droopy McCool bandsets) sold very well. To turn away from it is foolhardy, but once again Wal-Mart probably doesn't trust Hasbro's casing style to help stock rotation in the store. This is really an exciting time for us, because Hasbro must go back to the POTJ ways to get SW back in the game.

Battle Droid
07-24-2003, 02:37 AM
UGH!!!!!, then I hope KB Toys and Magic Mart will be carrying them, since they seem to be the only stores in my area getting new figures.

pegger
07-24-2003, 10:25 AM
I have to echo my fellow Cancuck jjreason on this one. I'm concerned, only in so far as Walmart was the only decent place to get figs.

We have not Target in Canada, and that leaves TRU - which is still packed full of Niktos, Zams, Female Tuskans...etc.....

Doesn't bode well for Canada at all.....

however, I think most Canadian collectors on this board have already turned to on-Line retailers....so there is no reason to get more upset

Dark Marble
07-24-2003, 10:33 AM
I am not really upset either. I rarely use Walmart for toy shopping since there are no stores close by. Target has been my shop of choice, and I will probably buy on-line if it is something I have to have. But until then, I am not going to worry until it is time to worry. Hopefully we will all get what we want when the Christmas rush hits.

droidekas2
07-24-2003, 11:25 AM
I dont know what Walmarts are like in other parts of the country, but in Tampa Florida I dread to even step in their doors. I never go to Walmart because I cant stand their stores. Secondly, the times I have gone in with a friend, they have had the same pegwarmers, not even worth the time to look.
I have long given up on the search in stores for figures. I have joined Kebeco and get my figures when they arrive in the mail. I look in the toy aisles if I am in the store, Target! , but do not go out just to look for action figures.
I have money to spend on product and it is Hasbro's responsibility for them to make it available to me. If Hasbro wants to sell these figures and Walmart doesnt want to carry them, so be it. Hasbro needs to find alternate routes to sell to us, which it seems like online toy sites place to find figures, and make sure these online retailers get product to sell, since they at least are ordering the product. This entire situation is just crap. I dont have to go on a hunt and chase game every time I want to purchase a toy.

Walmart can go to hell for all I care.

InsaneJediGirl
07-24-2003, 01:26 PM
I'm quite angry over it,since there is a WM five miles away from me and thats where I buy the bulk of my SW toys.I'll have to drive out of my way now to Target or just order online.

I do believe WM is making a big mistake now though.Just last Chirstmas I plunked down quite a chunk of cash for SW toys .This year,Target will get that money.:evil:If WM keeps this up,they arent going to be the #1 retailer for long.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-24-2003, 02:38 PM
Like the majority of posters in this thread I've found zero at WM in 2003 so their existence as a potential SW retailer is moot to me. I'm only irked that they're turning their back on the collectors who have dumped tons of $ into their coffers. They should take it out on Hasbro or their own buyers for getting an excess of cantina scenes and other enormous quantities of nonselling items.

IMO, they are sending the message that they won't deal with any product that doesn't sell remarkably well. They know they can sell tons of figures because new ones get released every other month or so. The other items tend to hang around longer because new ones aren't made as frequently. All they have to do is not order as much, like with the TIE Bombers and Snowspeeders, and make sure their prices are slightly lower than everyone else and they won't get stuck with tons of dust-collecting pegwarmers. Some would get items there and others from different retailers.

Oh well, if they don't want to bother with us I don't want to bother with them. :rolleyes:

Rogue II
07-24-2003, 02:45 PM
Well,
1) I wasn't going to buy those sets anyway.
2) I never find any figures I need at any of my Wal-marts. I might have purchased 3 Star Wars figures from Walmart since January of 2002.

sith_killer_99
07-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Well, when I first heard about this I was mad. However, now that I have had time to think about it, this is a double edged sword.

By not carrying Deluxe, Screen Scenes, Multi-packs, Unleased or Playskool sets, Wal-Mart frees up room...and money for the basic carded figures.

Over the last 18-24 months my local Wal-Mart has been the main place for me to find new basic carded figures. I hope that will continue.

As for the Deluxe figures, I say good ridance, I hate the SAGA deluxe line and only bought 2 sets, one of which I want to get rid of anyway. :rolleyes: I pretty much gave up on the deluxe line with EP1!

As for the Screen Scenes, we all saw what a failure Wal-Mart was at getting these things to fans. The Trash sets were very hard to find, and I ended up selling mine because I just wasn't that impressed. They look OK in the box, but loose they just disappointed me. I look forward to seeing TRU and others, distribute these! They will probably be easier to come by.

The multi-packs are nice, I already have the Droid Army Builder and Droid Launcher plus 1 set of Plain Clones loose. However, these seem to be seeing good distribution from TRU and KB, so I am confident that they can handle these sets. Besides, Hasbro already messed these up with poor case break-downs. :rolleyes: No matter who distributes these, some Clone sets will be hard to get.

As for playskool, I thought they were killing that line anyway.

The Unleased line has been hard to find, and it really dosen't impress me all that much. I have yet to see a single Unleashed figure (past Darth Maul and Jango Fett) at Wal-Mart anyway, so I'm really not surprised.

So, if doing this will help Wal-Mart bring us more basic carded figures, then maybe it's not a bad move. Heck, maybe retailers could take it one step further, KB has always disapointed me when it comes to basic carded figures, yet that is where I found most of the other stuff, Clone Wars 3 packs, 25 Anniversary sets, etc.

So what if KB droped the basic carded figures and carried only the stuff Wal-Mart has droped? I get depressed every time I walk into a KB and see those 4-packs for $7.99 just piling up. KB has tried their best to get rid of Hasbro's overproduction mistake and it's getting a little sad if you ask me. Sure it was all great when KB was blowing out the POTF green carded Stormtroopers, Vaders, Tarkins, etc. but those were cooler figures than Primal Mace and the gang.

keithfite
07-24-2003, 03:19 PM
Screw Wal Mart. I dont want to give them buisness anyway. and if I dont care you know I must hate em. cuz Wal-Mart is 15 minutes from my house. I live in Ohio. I have to drive miles to columbus, Ashland Ky, or hunington WV to go to TRU, Target, and KB. I do tons better driving that far than I ever do near home. F*** em. They never had anything anyway, now there just being curtious enough to finally share the information that they dont have any figures. Dont worry people, we will find them

sith_killer_99
07-24-2003, 04:35 PM
What's going on? Am I the only one who has found most of the 2003 releases at Wal-Mart? Am I the only one who found the Christmas sets?

Wal-Mart still has the best prices on new figures, yet it seems like I, and a few others around here, have been the only ones to find Han, Chewie, Fett, R2-D2, Mace, and the gang at Wal-Mart.

OK, I admit, right now Target seems to be the place to find the Han/Leia re-pack wave. And yes, TRU and KB seem to be the only ones stocking the Clone Wars stuff. But to say Wal-Mart has been useless for over a year comes as a surprise to me. They had their dry spell, along with everyone else after Black Friday until about April-May, but is that Wal-Mart's fault? Not when every other store is going through the same dry spell.

I guess the biggest reason I'm surprised is because about a year ago, many here were singing praises about Wal-Mart, well maybe that's a little bit of an exageration, but they certainly weren't bashing them like this.

Oh well, I guess the worm is turning. In any event, I do not think that the change will affect me all that much. I will still get my basic figures from the cheapest place around, I will still ignore those atrocities called deluxe figures and I will continue to hunt down those htf figures.

keithfite
07-24-2003, 05:50 PM
those are some very good points. There are reasons to like Wal-Mart. as said they have the best prices, and it was nice of them to say what they wouldnt be getting instead of just making us look and never knowing there was no chance. and I did find stuff at wal mart. But not enough. They just dont get enough stuff. Is that there fault? I dont know. But what I do know and what I ment by F em in an earlier post, is we can live without them getting certain things. Maybe since wal-mart wont be getting stuff other stores will get more stuff that should have gone to WM. sith_killer_99 is right though. We shouldnt be mad. When you find stuff at wal mart youre thrilled, and when they get tons of figures when a movie is released it is glorious. Damn it. now I am not that mad at em. I guess we should just be happy they still get the basic collection. Cuz they have the best prices. But I think wal mart has ****** everyone off more than once. and now this news will add feul to the fire

Tycho
07-24-2003, 06:14 PM
Those of you not worried about the deluxe sets, I remind you that:

Wampa and Ice Cave
C-3PO and Escape Pod
Rieeken and Echo Base Command Center
Jabba the Hutt ROTJ with Throne
Dengar with Star Destroyer Bridge section

etc.

are all the NEW DELUXE FIGURES.

I think you'll want these, right?

Rogue II
07-24-2003, 07:29 PM
Yes, I want those sets, but like I said, I never find anything at Walmart anyway. I only saw the TIE Bomber once and never saw the holiday set, Snowspeeder, or Death Star scenes. Other than the Cantina sets, I have had no luck with WalMart since the end of POTF2. As long as TRU, KB, Target, Kebco, and Yestertoys carry the Deluxe figures, I'll be fine.

DarthBrandon
07-24-2003, 08:01 PM
I have yet to find a dam thing for 2003 at Wal-Mart here in Canada, not even a single peg warmer these days, nothing. I had to rely on members here at SSG and online/e-bay stores to find my goods. I don't expect to find anything here for a long long time, does it make me mad, well yes and no, will I be buying from them in the future, yes if they have what I need and no if they don't. I can take my business elsewhere and don't think Wal-Mart cares because they don't, they will sell some other product instead because they don't want to deal with Hasbro's bad distribution. Like others have said it takes two to tango and I'm not buying it's all Wal-Mart's fault because it's not, if Hasbro kept with decent assortments then we would not be in this predicament. I will however buy my goods through other means until they start stocking S.W. products.

Jaff
07-24-2003, 08:52 PM
In answer to your question Sith Killer without any trace of sarcasm: Yes, you are one of the only people in America who has found 2003 figures in a Wal-Mart. Count your blessings.

Teeska Mon Eebon
07-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Wally world is the place where I found my Rebel soldiers and Ayla so here's one more person that found something...

But anyways I am mad because I live in a moderatly small town and all we have is Walmart and Target and Target has always been slow here but at least they get stuff I've gotten most of the new waves from them so hopefully they get more stuff than usual with their main competition out of the way..

Another thing that irked me was walmarts figures were 5.99 a few of the new ones came in at 4.99 and Target is only 4.95 not much of a difference unless you buy in bulk.

The thing that is really bad is the nearest Target is 3 hours away...

O.K. I'm done

sith_killer_99
07-24-2003, 09:13 PM
Those of you not worried about the deluxe sets, I remind you that:

Wampa and Ice Cave
C-3PO and Escape Pod
Rieeken and Echo Base Command Center
Jabba the Hutt ROTJ with Throne
Dengar with Star Destroyer Bridge section

etc.

are all the NEW DELUXE FIGURES.

I think you'll want these, right?

Well, yes actually, I will most likely want these, just like I wanted the Clonetrooper with Speederbike, if only to keep carded. However, I still say, with perhaps a little too much confidence, that the other store will pick up the slack, especially TRU.

Brandon, I seriously feel for you guys up north. Canada is always getting the raw deal when it comes to SW collecting. Don't worry though, you have top priority when I get back with my silver Fetts tomorrow. ;)

Yes, you are one of the only people in America who has found 2003 figures in a Wal-Mart. Count your blessings.

I always knew that my local Wal-Mart was lucky with newer figures.lol

My only real concern with this Wal-Mart thing is, who will get the new Cantina sets? We already know that these things are made, and ready for distro, there's no way Hasbro will let 'em go to waste. So who's gonna pick 'em up?

Dr Zoltar
07-24-2003, 10:47 PM
Well, I've seen a few of the newer figs on pegs in Wal-Mart and Target, but there are a key few I've never seen in a retail store:

Secret Ceremony Anakin
Ephont Mon (sp?)
Any of the new Deluxe sets
The new Speeder Bikes

It's disappointing that Wal-Mart said they aren't going to carry the screen scenes, but not surprising. I'm willing to bet the majority of us will only be able to purchase these via e-tailers. It also wouldn't surprise me if many retailers stopped ordering the deluxe sets. Target is again clearancing out the ones from last year so I'm guessing they won't order more of the new ones.

Kidhuman
07-24-2003, 11:23 PM
The problem easily lies with the case packings. If they were evenlyt distributed, then they wouldn't have to worry about pegwarmers. When you pack 4 Jango's to a case and only one Ephant, of course that one Ephant will and so will one Jango. But then you are left with three Jango's clogging your shelves. Better distribution of case packings will lead to better sales. While the shelves at my Wally World are packed with Jango's and Orn Fre Ta's and Padme Arenas, there are a ton of SC Anakins that I havent got because of poor, poor case packings.

So in this sense stores are seeing dropped sales and clogged shelves with no hope of draining, except through clearance. Better case packings+wise distribution=sales. Basic mathematics.

Old Fossil
07-24-2003, 11:43 PM
SK99 ain't the only one who's found new figures at WM. Unfortunately, they usually aren't the figures I'm looking for. I like Coleman Trebor and Wat Tambor, but I really wanted the new Vader and Snowtrooper...

This news only strengthens the feeling I have that Star Wars collecting is slowly grinding to an end. At least for me, anyway. It's just getting too danged expensive to maintain. Plus, getting really NEW figures (as opposed to picking up on Ebay the ones I missed in, say, 1998) once every four or five months after checking WM's shelves four or five times a week is really getting to be a drag. I understand the whole Kebco "1 of every figure" mentality, but there are quite a few figures I DON'T want and many others I want mulitples of; and I like to have a good look at the paint applications before buying.

I have FIVE WM's within a half-hour of where I live, as opposed to NO Targets in that same radius (the closest 2 are each 2 hours off, and I have moreover seldom found anything at Target worth buying) and 2 TRU's that, well, suck. So it is that I depend on WM for finding new figures/vehicles/multipacks, have for a long time. This news makes me a little sad, especially since I was really looking forward to the later Saga Deluxe line and Screen Scenes (esp. the Jedi Council). I may have to just focus on picking up a lone Vintage piece every few months and try not to think about the new stuff that I will never see on WM's shelves.

(BTW, I mailed my letter today, Tycho.)

DarthBrandon
07-24-2003, 11:45 PM
Brandon, I seriously feel for you guys up north. Canada is always getting the raw deal when it comes to SW collecting. Don't worry though, you have top priority when I get back with my silver Fetts tomorrow. ;)

Many thanks in advance sith_killer_99, You are a scholar and a gentleman. LMK how the trip was my friend. :D

Tycho
07-25-2003, 12:20 AM
First, I've found stuff at both stores (Target & Wal*Mart). The distribution complaint seems to be rahter the general feeling of the visitors to the site here, which is why I instituted the letter writing campaign.

Now does anyone here not know that stores stock OVERNIGHT?

That is basically when they have specific employees paid just to stock.

Daytime employees help customers, straighten the store, and stock whatever the overnighters didn't finish.

If they are willing or instructed to, they can get more figures out of the back room only if there still ARE more figures in the back room.

(This is assuming they don't hoarde for themselves to collect or scalp them, or save them for particular regular customers who might collect or scalp them. While I collect, because my reputation of being a customer and not some profiteer went before me, my R2D2 with Holo-Leia's were specifically held for me, as were other hard-to-finds that came along at different times. I asked for 3 - all I needed for scenes when R2 had a restraining bolt on him. I don't fault my store for doing that for me. I was the first "safe person" who asked. Many of my stores don't appreciate scalpers.)

Meanwhile, I watch the "Just Found" forums on many SW sites.

When stuff is hitting, I got to Wal*Mart by 6:45 am, and Target by 7:45am (most people don't have work or school until 8am or 9am btw).

I have gotten the following 2003 figures:

1) Obi-Wan - 2 from Target in February
2) Dooku Lightning - Wal*Mart in April (still looking for 1 more)
3) Pamde Droid Factory - 4 of them from Walmart in March
4) Jedi Analysis Droids - Wal*Mart - March
5) Tusken Raider - 2 of them from Wal*Mart in March
6) Aayla Secura - 3 Wal*Mart -March, 4 Target in July
7) Bariss Offee - 3 Wal*Mart - March, 2 Target, July
8) Anakin Secret - 8 Yestertoys - May
9) Boba Fett - Wal*Mart - May
10) Mace - Didn't want. Saw at Target in June
11) R2D2 - Wal*Mart - May
12) Han Hoth - Wal*Mart - May
13) Chewie - Didn't want him. Didn't see him. Friend found at Target.
14) Yoda & Chian - Target - found 2 in July - leaving 4 on pegs
15) Ashla & Jempa - Target - found 2 in July - leaving 4 on pegs
16) Coleman Trebor - Target - found 3 in July - leaving 3 on pegs
17) Padme Wedding - Target, left 5 on pegs
18) Wat Tambor - Target, bought 5 in July

Target provided Dooku and Owen's speederbikes.

Wal*Mart provided the blonde Imperial Officer. I've left 3 or more on pegs.

Wal*Mart had the new Rebel Fleet Troopers. I didn't need any, so I left all I saw - 4 or more, on the pegs.

Target has provided 4 or more red battle droids I've bought for my friend Tony in my collecting circle.

Toys R Us has had Droid 3-packs, and Destroyer Launchers. I'm only buying 3-packs (all I see, but I've only seen 2)

Now I've talked to Hasbro about what they pack in the cases. At Christmas time 2002, I bought 16 Republic Gunship Pilots right out of cases held for me at Toys R Us. I left behind 15 Jango Fett Pilots, and 15 Padme Pilots. So? I have 4 Gunships and needed to crew them. That's Hasbro's fault as I've told them to pack army builders like the Imps and Rebels with the Gunship pilots. Padme and Jango were not going to sell in the same proportions.

But while I'm doing a letter writing campaign for you and keeping you alerted to the bad moves retailers are making to adversely affect our hobby, I'm doing that for you as I've found my figures. And though I can't speak knowledgeably about YOUR particular area, if you are in San Diego you and you didn't get figures, it was because you weren't shopping when the stores open and other collectors or scalpers were.

I don't think SW is being scalped or e-Bayed with as much fervor as it once was, so I do think more of these figures are winding up in the hands of collectors who can shop right when stores open.

But this has been how I collected figures since 1997 and the Luke Hoth and 2-1B wave. I never thought Bossk was hard to find, but witnessed him being scalped for $18!

All I can say is that the morning sales should convince the computer inventory systems of the retailers to order more. I have no idea if any computer or living employee cares to distinguish between whether they are putting collection 2 or collection 1 onto the truck headed towards your store. "They all look the same. They all say Star Wars figures. So what? I just make $7.25 an hour here. Manifest says put SW on the truck, so I loaded it. There are different boxes? Look, I gotta pack all this other crap onto the truck in my 8 hour shift. I don't care if they are different boxes. People come to my company's stores for toothepaste and a lot of other stuff. I still get paid whether we sell SW or not."*

* This could be the position of somebody in the warehouse of your favorite retailer.

So how do we make Wal-Mart and the other stores order more, and the right ones, too?

When I bought Aayla at Wal-Mart in MARCH, there were not all the Teemto Pegules and Lott Dodds there that they have now. Those came out of cases with Ephant Mon in them! How do I know? I bought Ephant for friends in my collecting circle.

I got 2 Ephant Mons last October from KB Toys, who held them for me in a fresh case. Bought those at 6pm at night I think. Right after their truck was unloaded for stuff they'd stock the next day.

I also almost never whine about distribution online, but am providing the letter-writing campaign because many of the rest of you are having problems.

And no: I don't want to get you your figures, sell them to you, trade with you, or whatever. I have 6 friends that I met almost 7 years ago, who I met in the toy isles at these retailers and never knew before, and now we have all the stores in our area covered and have had that system for almost 7 years as well. When stuff is found, I get paid back or pay them pretty much the same day, and with cell phones, everyone knows what everyone got, every morning by 8:15am. It didn't take geniusness to arrange this. Now my friends and I go to the conventions together, play on the same softball team, see SW and other movies like X-men and The Hulk together, and so forth. Sure we didn't trust each other at first, but after 7 years collecting, I know who the scalpers are in my area. They're not my friends (and not making any money off SW anyway).

But I don't know what happens after I buy the 5 Wat Tamors I want.

I stay out of the stores then, until I hear that WA-7 and Lt. Faytooni are shipping. I haven't heard of Target getting the Clone or Droid 3-packs, so I can sleep in and just shop at Toys R Us - and only on their delivery days because any manager will tell you when that is if only you ask. Oh - I haven't found Luke or Vader yet, but I don't care too much. If I'm awake I'll look at the other stores, but they'll turn up. It's not a big deal. Our Wal-Marts and Targets both have been getting them, so one of my friends will have him for me by 8:15 one morning.

sith_killer_99
07-25-2003, 03:01 AM
Hasbro needs to work on their case breakdown, period. I would think that it's common sense.

1. If you put out 6 new figures, pack 2 of each per case. If you put out 4 new figures, pack 3 of each per case. If you put out 3 new figures, pack 4 of each per case. And so on.

2. If you put out an "Army Builder" ship solid cases. If you put out 2 "Army Builders" pack the case half and half. And so on.

Hasbro started using this formula with the POTJ line and it worked great. In fact, it almost worked too well. I remember finding almost every POTJ figure at retail, and if I couldn't find one figure, I couldn't find the whole wave, now that's distribution!

Instead of sticking to what was clearly working, Hasbro goes all "Episode 1" on the case breakdowns. They try to predict the market for these characters. I swear someone over there must be talking to Ms. Cleo, or maybe they should be talking to her, they'd probably have better luck.

Hasbro, here's a clue for $500.00, it didn't work for Episode 1 so it didn't work for Episode 2! Please, please, please, don't do it for Episode 3?!?!?

As for the stores ordering specific waves?!?! Well? Here is what I have been told. My brother-in-law used to buy direct from Hasbro, he stopped selling Star Wars figures right before EP2 came out. In order to get a shipment he had to order, I believe it was $5,000.00 per shipment. In any event, you order cases of certain waves. However, that does not guarentee that you will get those waves. Hasbro ships whatever they have going out at that time, so if you miss a wave you're just SOL, Hasbro ships additional cases of the current wave to make up the difference. This frustrated my brother-in-law to no end and was one of the main reasons he stopped selling SW figures and dealing with Hasbro.

OC47150
07-25-2003, 01:18 PM
As being the nation's biggest chain store, WM has fumbled SW this entire year. Dusty figures are clogging the shelves. The trash compactor sets were barely in the stores. The list goes on....

As long as other stores pick up the slack, I'm not crying.

Dark Marble
07-25-2003, 02:06 PM
With everything factored in, I just don't see Walmarts announcment meaning anything significant. Every deluxe figure that they have ever carried has also been at TRU, KB, or Target with the exception of store exclusives. I feel for my fellow collectors that have Walmart close by and nothing else, and that comes as a blow and it stinks. But Walmart has never been a monopoly on these toys, and I have never seen that they have had more or better than anyone else.

In fact, I would really like to see on-line stores rally up and get more product to sell. I would rather find a good on-line place to buy from then waste hours and hours stalking my local Target at 8:00 in the morning to look at empty pegs. With the exception of movies years, collecting Star Wars toys has always been in the timing. If you know the stocking routine chances are you know when to find new figures. And that is with any major retailer. Sometimes Walmart is the king and sometimes Target is the king. However, finding new stuff is being at the right place at the right time. Walmart has not stopped selling Star Wars figures, so there is always hope for the future. But I say good!! It is one less store I have to think about when looking for new sets of toys, and makes my searching easier.

aikman8_1999
07-25-2003, 06:21 PM
...and with cell phones, everyone knows what everyone got, every morning by 8:15am...

A huge assault team fanning out on a daily basis at the break of dawn planning and coordinating thier movements.

My gosh, they are toys, this is scary to me.

aikman8_1999
07-25-2003, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=Tycho]... And though I can't speak knowledgeably about YOUR particular area, if you are in San Diego you and you didn't get figures, it was because you weren't shopping when the stores open and other collectors or scalpers were.[/QUOTE=Tycho].

I agree its totally your fault.

If you want the new stuff, you need to be there when the store opens because thats when all the people with no lives and freaklike fanatacism are there too.

To hell with the finger points and stares at the weird guys that haunt the toy aisles constantly. If lucky you might even see an attractive cashier that loves being hit on by pathetic toys slobs.

Is this a pictures of someone you want to become?

Coincidentally, I am writing this from the bizarro universe, me so happy me can cry.

Tycho
07-25-2003, 06:55 PM
First, I am having fun! What you describe is exactly PART of who I've become.

I'm not the one on these forums complaining when I can't find my toys.

I definitely have a life. But from what I thought 7:45 to 8:15 is 30 minutes spent in a hunting activity of sorts with friends, doing something totally unrequired, immature, and plain old self-indulgent, before the rest of us start normal work days.

I'm a financial planner and land-use/redevelopment consultant. I also hold elected office.

Darren is a purchaser for a clothier chain.

James is a teacher and a college ball player.

Tony is also a teacher and athletics coach with champion soccer teams.

Dexter is an architect/engineer for the Navy and a father of 2 with a beautiful wife.

Jose is a Toys R Us manager and a business and graphic design student.

Mike is a business consultant for local colleges and the webmaster at GalctcHunter.com.

We are all under 30 years old, or just over the border in several cases.

No one is even 35 and "an old toy guy" who sits at the Swap Meet selling what his disability check bought him - like some local scalpers in my area.

None of us lack any released figure or toy (save for 12" Lando wave and Unleashed Leia right now), and we all have lives.

Only on days when stuff is shipping, we think SW is enough fun to give us cause to go hunting for stuff and we choose to go when we know we'll find stuff.

This is a hobby we choose to enjoy - so we go about it in the best way we can have the most fun.

I have Kitik Keed Kak from cantina wave 2 and I think Stillakid saw it when he was over since I've had him for months.

In any case I'm quite happy with myself. I'm a nerd if that's what one is, and I'm fine with that.

aikman8_1999
07-25-2003, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=Tycho]...I'm a financial planner and land-use/redevelopment consultant. I also hold elected office...
QUOTE]

Dont need the whole resume there chief , seen it before,unimpressed.

..and yet I still find it funny that a financial planner drops big dough on 20-50 multiples of the same figure.

I didnt say you were a geek, you did.
I will say you are far off in the minority as far as collectors go, I mean , you are gone...

Where can we see how you put to use those 20 arena kenobis you bought, must be spectacular...

Rogue II
07-25-2003, 09:37 PM
Ummm, Tycho, you forgot

Johnny who works on the docks...He holds on to what he's got.

Clark Kent is a reporter from the Daily Planet.

Ms. Cleo who uses tarot cards to predict where the new shipments of Star Wars figures will show up next.

;):crazed::D

Tycho
07-25-2003, 11:27 PM
Is Ms. Cleo really that good? Maybe after she was sued she now works at Target.

Aikman: why are you so intent on knocking my idea about writing letters?

Aikman: why are you so intent on deciding I'm an abnormality that should be put down (as negative) due to my collecting habits?

Aikman: what do you enjoy?

Aikman: what do you enjoy about Star Wars?

Aikman: what do you enjoy about Star Wars collecting? Why do you do it?

Aikman: why do you post on a Star Wars collecting website's forums?

Aikman: do you sell Star Wars figures?

Aikman: do you own an online action figure source that sells Star Wars?

Aikman: I only bought 2 Obi-Wan arenas. The figure could have been far better, but was unnecessary to be made (versus an Obi-Wan in Jedi Robes) in the first place. I decided the one-scene wonder pose might be useful in one scene I want to make, so since I need Obi-Wan, I decided to buy something else besides my 15th Coruscant Chase or whatever I'm actually up to on the CC figure.

Aikman: I don't want to be like everybody else. I just wnat to do what I want and I'm not ashamed about it. I want to have the most elaborate, crazy Star Wars museum to live in one day - but I'll never touch the art that somebody like NiubNiub has achieved. Maybe with years of work, but while I'm home I also like to read, write, post on this website - lot of other stuff that takes up the time I think a lot of other people watch TV.

Aikman: It really does sound to me like you just can't stand me personally, so what is your issue?

aikman8_1999
07-26-2003, 02:28 AM

Aikman: why are you so intent on deciding I'm an abnormality that should be put down (as negative) due to my collecting habits?

Aikman: I only bought 2 Obi-Wan arenas. The figure could have been far better, but was unnecessary to be made (versus an Obi-Wan in Jedi Robes) in the first place. I decided the one-scene wonder pose might be useful in one scene I want to make, so since I need Obi-Wan, I decided to buy something else besides my 15th Coruscant Chase or whatever I'm actually up to on the CC figure.

Aikman: I don't want to be like everybody else. I just wnat to do what I want and I'm not ashamed about it. I want to have the most elaborate, crazy Star Wars museum to live in one day - but I'll never touch the art that somebody like NiubNiub has achieved. Maybe with years of work, but while I'm home I also like to read, write, post on this website - lot of other stuff that takes up the time I think a lot of other people watch TV.

Aikman: It really does sound to me like you just can't stand me personally, so what is your issue?

I think it is pointless and not your responsibility, if hasbro doesnt want our money, why give it to them? By now , if they are not aware of the problem, that is their problem. New assortments available at retail has been a problem for a lot longer than just recently. If they cant figure it out, let them rot.

Take it any way you like but I believe that you(and copycats) that buy 20 of 1 figure(or haunt toy stores), make it impossible by retail means for a normal collector(1 of each )to collect. I will not wait in line at 6 am to get figures, sorry , no dice., nor should I have to.

Lotsa stuff

Lotsa stuff

Been doing it all my life

To hear others ideas/express my own

never have, not one

nope

What I cant stand is the condescending attitude.
I am this , i am that, I plan to make this.
Whatever dude do what you want.
Someone like you really needs to be buying online so as not to take figures out of regular collectors hands.
Noone needs 15 CC whatever figures, sorry . What I am against is freakdom. It has happened to star trek and I dont want it happening to star wars. Whenever I mention star trek , the first thing people ask is 'do u dress up around the house'. They instantly assume u are a star trek freak. I dont want this happening to SW. When I hear some of your 'purchases/bragging/whatever' it seems that you are virtually inviting criticism.

I have a s-load of sw stuff but geez , take a chill.
[/QUOTE]

Tycho
07-26-2003, 04:12 AM
I love Star Trek, too. (and I don't dress up either). Just watch and collected Playmates and ArtAsylum.

Now, people post here often when they find new SW stuff.

I actually don't, because I'm on the west coast and it seems stuff hits the east coast about a week or two earlier (except what Target gets in), so I don't generally post or brag about what I got. I should watch whether I sound like I'm bragging or not. I don't want to make anyone feel bad. That's not my intention.

On the other hand, the objective in a collecting hobby is to acquire stuff, so it's natural that what people find is discussed. Simple enough. I think we agree there.

My hobby is not so much collecting, but building dioramas of all the coolest scenes in the films. THe toys look so cool now (compared to vintage) - like art - that I want to recreate more "art" with them, by modeling the scenes so I can appreciate them.

I'm not actually taking away "your figures" by diorama building unless the stores are not ordering enough after my sales register in their inventory and the computer systems should automoatically order restock. I'm really not taking your figures if you're not in the San Diego area, but I realize that you are speaking moreso about someone who might buy like I do, but in your area.

Well, I share equally with everyone in the morning who is there when I'm there. But for sure, if I don't buy all the figures I need when I see them, I risk never seeing them since they'd be scalped or disappear into other large collectors' collections. Remember the Naboo Royal Guard? (with Sidious Holo Wave). I wanted 35 of those guys, for approximately 5 to a scene: Royal Starship Crew, Street Battle vs. Tanks, Hanger Battle, Queen's throne room guards, Queen captures Nute Gunray, Galactic Senate, etc. I was scouring the stores when they were shipping and I think I wound up with only about 11 of them and did get the rest online and at conventions (Comic Con, Celebration II). They cost me a bit more in some cases.

If I slow down my purchases of new figures I might want to scene build with, I might not find them again, only to be resold the very same figures that had shipped to my stores by guys who scalp them here. (not that I patronize scalpers regularly - I wait more than a year past when I've should have had a figure before I bother dealing with any 2nd market store).

But I only needed 1 Padme Wedding and 2 Coleman Trebors. I left all the rest as my friends found them at their stores the same morning and we didn't need any more.

Well I don't know what happened to those figures. They could be in another collectors' hands (I hope) or they could turn up this weekend at my local swap meet.

The rule of thumb for me is buy it when you see it.

I really would rather sleep in the morning myself. But I only need go out early once or twice in the week when I know stuff is hitting. It's not a huge sacrafice for me. I ask when the truck is coming, and go then.

I agree with you about several things you said:

You shouldn't have to get figures at 6-8 in the morning.

To make that happen, several things need to occur:

1) people need to stop patronizing dealer stores that get their figures from scalpers that DO go and buy everything at 6 in the morning.

2) Hasbro needs to pack army builders with other army builders because myself and others have every right to make large dioramas. But the stores will find it easier to order more, if they don't have Jango Pilots and Padme Pilots sitting there after Gunship Pilots clear out.

3) Stores need to order more of a new case that's selling faster, and Hasbro needs to be filling warehouses even before they are emptied if smart cases move fast. Their old attitude was that older figures that sat kept their section in toys stocked with something, so a newbie could get something. If ordering was done correctly, there would always be tons of well-assorted cases coming in all the time. Orders for stores that get one truck per week should be sufficient to make the supply match the demand.

Now you don't have to go and get toilet paper at 6am before they sell out because the tucks are loaded with toilet paper since everybody buys it. A smaller percentage buy SW, hence less truck space is allocated. However, if sufficient amounts are being bought, profit and reinvestment almost demands it being economical to have more trucks (with more than just SW on them of course).

If the retailers ARE doing this correctly, then Hasbro is at fault.

In our talks, Hasbro said they do have the supply ready to go out to their retailers - and it's those stores' job to order and distribute it properly.

Aikman, you said about the same thing, blaming Hasbro mostly.

However the current situation is that morning shopping is the way to get these figures and has been since 1997 or earlier. If you won't do it, I take it that you don't want the figures that badly - or badly enough to mail a letter, or anything else that to me seems simpler than being grumpy about something and accepting the situation the way that it is.
The letters may be a shot in the dark, but written compliants to companies like our retailers have to be responded to with written letters back. They might send you coupons or gift certificates too, all for good PR. Who knows? I think we have nothing to lose for trying.

You wrote a response to me about your disapproval of my diorama building, but do you think that's going to change what I do? Or what a collector that's hoarding in your area is going to do? Nah. That's their hobby. Hardly every figure is a diorama builder - or needed in that many scenes. I think I bought the most of Aalya in recent figures and have no plans for ridiculous quantities (over 10) of anything but the droid and clone 3-packs.

I certainly didn't hoarde Ephant Mon! (2)

So I don't think your issue is with diorama builders, but with the retailers.

In any case, I may have a 'freak's collection' but I "gave my resume" to show I don't live a freak's life and people don't see me as a SW nut - and 75% of the people I know actually don't know I'm into this to such a degree. And if they all knew, I wouldn't care as I'm not seen as someone living and breathing SW, like that woman who did jury-duty in a Star Trek uniform. It is your own life to live however you want to. Mike Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor) and Lionardo DiCapprio are both big SW collectors and no one lables them SW freaks. I'm sure you're secure with your identity. That other SW collectors could be freaks should have no bearing on what people think of you if they know you collect.

But I know how people who know me from work or sports are surprised when they see my collection, and people I've seen in the toy isles are weirded out by a guy in a suit and tie that's collecting. Sure, it can make you angry if people want to stereotype you. But I think to myself that while they're tyring to put people they meet in their life into neat little categories, I'm having fun breaking all the molds.

Now here on SSG, I'm eager to talk about my diorama building and interests, because I want to see and hear about others who do the same - who also like expanded universe, etc. etc. I really have to get a digital camera now and start posting pictures. Would I incur resentment by doing that?

Want to see who I idolize in my hobby? www.niubniubsuniverse.com
Check these dioramas out!

I wish I could do work that good. I've never made the time to try. there are a lot of other things I like to do or have to do, but I'd like to stock the collection necessary to create something like what he did when I buy a good-sized house.

Goals and dreams are great to have. Mine that are SW are a very small part of everything I hope to do and achieve in life. But unless it ever seems like its become a bad idea, I want to create these permanent dioramas and be able to walk through the arrangement and art that I create with the Hasbro toys I am a fan of, long after I am bored by watching the movies.

I find stuff challenging - like figuring out how to build my blockade runner, and eventually faking Theed's waterfalls with modeling materials, and the finished dioramas will be monuments to my surpassing small challenges in my private life at home. Sure, sports and career, relationships, etc provide plenty of challenges, but SW is fun to take seriously because even if I have to quit for a while, put building something off or whatever due to time or money, I can then step back and look at it objectively and say "it doesn't really matter." The other stuff I take seriously in the rest of my life does matter and I have to stay intense and focused on not failing in my responsibilities there. ON the other hand if I have time to build all that SW stuff, I can say "Wow. I 've achieved professionally to afford it, and I still continue to achieve throgh discipline in my offtime to collect it at 6am and design it while many other people don't create, but react to their video games, or passively immerse themselves in their TV." I like to look at all I've done, and then try to do more and top it. I'm more ambition than I'm even about feeling satisfaction.

I approach SW like everything - and in an analogy to weight lifting, I max out.

ANd I do want to learn about others who do what I do, as well as want all to enjoy collecting SW figures as much as I do.

I too like to share in the enthusiasm for the hobby, which is why I'm here.

Banthaholic
07-26-2003, 01:49 PM
Go Tycho!
I for one enjoy hearing about others ideas and why they might get 10 of the same figure. It's interesting!
I'm just hoping that one day you'll post some good pics for us.
I think the lettet campaign is a step in teh right direction, at least we're doing something. I think that we should come up with a new letter to wal-mart regarding their decision to carry deluxe, vehicles, etc...
Although I'm but one person, I have already begun boycotting Wal-mart. I'll get my housegoods during a target or k-mart run now. My money doesn't mean squat toa big retailer like wal-mart, but at least I'm supporting companies that carry Star Wars

Jaff
07-26-2003, 02:30 PM
I'm a collector of 1 of everything to be opened. My loose collection is gold to me, and have but 1 of my favorite figure of each package type (i.e. red, green, slide blue, POTJ, Saga, Ep.1, etc...), with exception to my vintage collection. I do understand where Aikman is coming from when he says that if he shows up at a store around 12 p.m. (lunch), or 5 p.m. (after work) and find one figure out of 5 cases stocked because someone picked up 10 of several figures. I myself have been victim to this scenario several times, especially with the Saga, and Slide waves (back in 98). Vader with Removable Helmet was nowhere back then. Had to go to a comic book shop and paid $20 for him. I think Aikman is venting that frustration, because 1 person can take away from 10 collectors because of their own needs.

To Tycho I say his viewpoint is also very right. Sometimes you only see Ephant Mon on a shelf once, and you will never see him again. If you snooze you loose. Buying two or three out of six might need to happen so that needs to be understood. I am sure if Aikman (like myself) walked into a store right now and saw one of each: Wat Tambor, Colman Trebor, Padme Wedding, Snowtrooper, Luke Jedi, Darth, Yoda and Chian, Ashla and Jempa, and one of each of the cinema scenes we would buy up every single piece (lets pretend we don't have them if you do). Someone out there would consider us greedy for not leaving one behind because they will see us in line fumming how we got everything that they didn't. We have all seen folks in line with a figure, got excited, rushed off to the toy isles to find zip. So claiming that Tycho is taking from us is not right. We all take from others if we're at the store at the right time.

We all collect different. Some styles work better than others. I've been collecting long before Brian's Toys was called that, and before I opened my own SW store I helped to supply some SW dealers with Coined Yak Face's and Tri-Logo figs. So my experiance may be better in collecting than a person who started this year. Tycho seems to have experiance. I honestly live in the *** end of NY so I haven't found any figures since Yoda and Chian (Hey Tycho hook me up-I'm dying here!). Luck also plays a big part, but in the end if people buy up stuff so be it. That's the way it is. In the end it's all about how our local stores watch their stock rotation, and make sure they keep those shelves fresh.

Finally the POTJ assortments were the only casing way to go. It was the greatest toy line ever in terms of quality and distribution. I said it before, by Wal-Mart Backing off of some SW stuff they are sending a message to Hasbro, AND IT IS A GOOD MESSAGE. Send us product in terms of moving it. Do not send us garbage with new stuff. I GUARANTEE YOU ALL THAT WAL-MART IS MAKING THIS DECISSION BECAUSE OF THE CASSING STYLES OF HASBRO. I have this information straight from the horses mouth. However I am unable to tell you from whom I know this or why, so don't ask!

scruffziller
07-27-2003, 09:32 AM
Oh we're upset, we just don't care anymore because we have accepted that WM is crap for expecting toys like that.:crazed:

Turbowars
07-27-2003, 12:27 PM
Damn Tycho, can you please summarize your posts :) You collect the way you want, but not all of us are going to agree with your habits. I don't agree with the amount you buy, but who am I to say? I build Dios like Niub (the smaller one's) and don't hoard 15 of one figure. As for the morning runs, sometimes if I have a day off work, I'll go to a store at opening, but I can't stand the jerks that run. These arn't guys under 30. These are guys over 30 and it makes me sick. I'd probably go more often, but while most of you guys are still in bed, I'm on the road at 4-5 am. The whole WM thing I can care less about. I don't live near any. Closest one is 20 miles. I have never really had luck with them anyways. I have scored, but to many far in between. So WM can go to hell, unless one opens around here in Burbank CA and I know that's just not going to happen.

kool-aid killer
07-27-2003, 12:36 PM
I havent found anything new at Walmart in months so maybe thats why i dont really care if they dont carry more toys. Thankfully Target seems to be picking up the slack.

Banthaholic
07-27-2003, 03:45 PM
Today, I went to k-mart and got the new repacked Jango. They had pretty much the whole luke/darth/snowtrooper wave. Unfort they didn't have the new Boba I'm still searching for.
This the the 3rd time my k-mart has gotten this wave in the past 2 weeks. They're a bit more at 5.49, although I save gas money since k-mart is closer, and time since wal-mart never has anything anytime.
So make sure to be checking your k-marts.

Sidiously Darth
07-27-2003, 08:27 PM
I can see both sides of the story with Tycho & Aikman. I've read many a rant post about not being able to find a certain figure or wave. Then several posts in you'll usually find the "I always find everything I want reply." Sure it might make you frustrated to begin with but then that elusive figure comes around. Unfortunately, it does seem that the retail stores are going to make it harder.

Tycho, have you and your band of hunters given thought to ordering what you want? You seem to have an abundance of extra cash. You also have a friend that is a manager of a TRU. I'm not surprised you don't have trouble finding anything. Most of us aren't as fortunate as you are. Maybe that is something to keep in mind on you daily hunts. If you pick up 20 Coleman Trebors (this is an example), I'm sure there are 15-19 SSGers willing to send you cost and shipping to get their hands on one.

Aikman, I understand your frustration. Especially when a post comes across as "Ha Ha! Look what I have and you don't." But I seriously don't think that is Tycho's or any other member's intent.

I happen to like Tycho's letter idea but I am fine with Aikman's opinion on the matter. Sometimes we just forget how to have a good debate of ideas without it becoming a fight of words.

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong. :)

Tycho
07-27-2003, 09:46 PM
There's some practical suggestions in what you wrote.

And some difficulties.

No one in my group just has money to buy for dioramas (in that quantity) and pay "just any price." We are trying to find the figures as cheap as possible, espcially when considering the costs of buying army builders.

Hasbro does not pack cases that are convenient for my group to order (at least not very often).

Not sure what cases I'd really go for. I wanted these quantities of the following:

2 Obi-Wan Acklay
2 Darth Tyranus Lightning
8 Anakin Cloaked* (did order these online)
1 Boba Fett
0 Mace Windu
2 flying R2D2
4 Pamde Droid Factory
1 Jedi Droid set
2 Tuskens
1 Blonde Imp
1 Brunette Imp (never found yet)
5 Bariss Offee
9 Aayla Secura*
2 Lama Su / Clone Kid
0 Chewie Mynock
1 Han Hoth
2 Coleman Trebor
1 Padme Wedding
5 Wat Tambor
2 Yoda & Chian
2 Ashla & Jempa

The ONLY figure I bought excessively from retail was Aayla. 5 Wat Tambors might make somebody mad - but only if somebody was shopping here in San Diego - and I've yet to hear from another San Diegan on this site that claims I took "their" figures.

Republic Gunship Pilots were the most I bought of anything lately: 16 - and bought them back in October last year.

But I'm not causing a U.S. distribution shortage :rolleyes:

With Wat Tambor, he's in the current case shipping. 5 of him, come from what? 3 cases? I've left one and I'm sure to see more and leave all of them, too.

Aikman's point is likely that a lot of collectors doing this could cause problems depending upon how the cases are packed.

But not everybody buys for dioramas. In my group only 2 of us do. 5 others only want 2 of each in general, though 2 are customizers and kind of unpredictable.

Still, none of the figures in 2003 were army builders like droids or clones (save for the new 3-packs for those). It's not really an issue.

I do go out before the stores open though, because I don't want to deal with missing 1 out of 4 Padme Droid Factories. I'll get them all as quickly as possible and then spend more time sleeping.

If the figures don't continue shipping or are scarce like the Naboo Royal Guard, I don't loose while I snooze. I still say that if you want to make sure you have them, go out early. Everyone who does finds stuff when new things are hitting. Those Han, Leia, Maul recards are the leavings from the Wat Tambor wave. It means had you been there earlier, you could have gotten Yoda and the Younglings because your store obviously did.

As for all the new stuff not out yet?

I might want :

5 Bail Organas
2 Padme Tatooines
5 or 6 ARC Troopers
3 or 4 of the CW Anakin and Obi-Wans
3 or 4 of Durge and Ventress

Everything else I just want 1 of probably. Except NO snowtroopers (don't need 'em).

I'll order my Screen Scenes online because it's actually cheaper to buy cases of them and I want 4 Geonosians and 5 Jedi sets.

As to my friend that is a TRU manager: they get everything last after I've found it at Wal-Mart or Target. NONE of the figures listed above were found at TRU!

Only once in a while it works out for me with a TRU exclusive or something like my Trek or Terminator figures. Star Wars was only great at Toys R Us on April 23 for the most part. They got the 12" alright for a while, too.