PDA

View Full Version : Found Jedi Council, Geo. War Room (comments)

TheDarthVader
07-24-2003, 06:57 PM
First of all, the price point for these at Target is $19.99. I was thinking, "What!?"
Secondly, they do not look as good as in the pictures (either set).
Thirdly, they are in vulnerable "bubble" packaging. I like the idea of seeing the figures but both sets (only one each left) had crushed bubbles. I did not buy them today.
I found Mace, Even, and Oppo. I also saw Dooku, San Hill, and Poggle.
San Hill's head looked way too small. He seems like a flemsy figure. Poggle was nice and Dooku was okay. The table seemed cheap and kinda crummy. The Death Star Plans in Dooku hand was nice. I really liked that accessory! ;) The Jedi council chairs look very different from say Yoda's jedi council chair (from Saga Yoda Jedi council). The chairs seem like they were a lot better in the package than Yoda's (higher quality I think). Oppo looked too small (judging by the way he was in his seat as opposed to the way he was in his seat in AOTC). He should have been taller (from his tail bone up...not from his tail up). Even was cool. Mace looked to be a big improvement.
Overall, could have been better...not worth $20 IMO. I would pay $14.99 for these, but not $20. Just thought I'd share since I got to see them in person. :)

no_cool_name
07-24-2003, 08:38 PM
I wish I could find these.

plo koon 200
07-24-2003, 11:33 PM
I'd pay $20. I think these sets are much better than the $20 cinema scenes and, they connect to other sets. Also, they have more new figures in them. I don't see why you can complain about the price. If I found them I would buy them up in a heartbeat.

sith_killer_99
07-25-2003, 01:30 AM
I hear you on the price, considering that 3 figures usually go for $15.00 right now anyway. Let's not forget that the last time Cinema Scenes were actually selling for full retail ($20.00 Episode 1) the basic carded figures were retailing for $7.00 each or $21.00 for 3 basic carded figures, again, that was back in the Episode 1 days.

I will have to see these before I can make up my mind about buying them, but one thing is certain, if I do buy them, they will stay in the package. I made the mistake of opening my Trash Compactor sets, needless to say I sold 'em pretty fast after that. :rolleyes:

plo koon 200
07-25-2003, 09:16 AM
I hear you on the price, considering that 3 figures usually go for $15.00 right now anyway. Let's not forget that the last time Cinema Scenes were actually selling for full retail ($20.00 Episode 1) the basic carded figures were retailing for $7.00 each or $21.00 for 3 basic carded figures, again, that was back in the Episode 1 days.

I will have to see these before I can make up my mind about buying them, but one thing is certain, if I do buy them, they will stay in the package. I made the mistake of opening my Trash Compactor sets, needless to say I sold 'em pretty fast after that. :rolleyes:

Actually they were $20 when POTF was around and figures cost $5 than as well. Not to mention most of the figures were crummy resculpts and just that. At least with these new sets we get a window box and somewhat of a diorama. A much better deal than the old POTF cinema scenes.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-25-2003, 11:23 AM
What did the Mace look like? Did he have a cloak? I can't wait for these sets, but I don't have any money . . .

TheDarthVader
07-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Sadly, Mace does not have a cloak...but on the bright side, it is one of the best figures of him IMO. Also, I did not see any lightsabers packaged with the council. :confused: If the pacakges had been in better condition, I may have bought them. I am very disappointed in the San Hill figure. When you finally see them, you will understand what I mean. Oppo could have been much better. Those two figures were the worst of their repective sets, with San Hill being the biggest disappointment.

JangoFart
07-25-2003, 02:45 PM
If I come across these, I'll be all over 'em like fleas on a chimp. (Assuming they are in adequate condition for my picky self.)

I think 20 bucks is a good deal for 3 nicely sculpted figs and a cool base.

BTW: I haven't seen 'em in person, but Sam Hill's head is WAAY skinny in the movie. The pics I've seen of this set appear to do that skinny head justice.

J

Jargo
07-25-2003, 03:58 PM
Hell I'll be buying unique never again to be produced figures like a shot! Mace is pretty crummy but for the other Jedi figures and the Seperatists it's a wee dream to be getting these finally. Frankly i couldn't give a stuff how the packaging is as long as the figures are alright. I don't even care about the crummy table thing i just want these figures badly. New sculpts and new characters you just gotta buy instead of wasting money on endless damn hero figures. When they make a medical center Luke and a new Lando Calrissian smuggler outfit I'll consider buying hero figures but enough with the Vader and Tatooine luke already!!! Unique characters agogo!!!!!

Jedi Drew
07-25-2003, 07:44 PM
Got lucky yesterday at Target and picked up the Council and War Chamber-yea at first I was like 20 bucks for each of these. But as others have posted it is worth $20.00 ( 3 figures x 5.00 + the chairs ect..= $20.00) :D

droidekas2
07-26-2003, 10:08 AM
I agree with Jargo 100%.

New, awesome, never seen before in plastice, aliens!! Gotta have them.
And why would you want to leave something like this in the package?? I dont care if it comes in a paper bag.

kdp100
07-26-2003, 10:17 AM
My sets arrived this morning from R2DToys & I'm VERY impressed:

Of the four "brand-new" figures, San Hill is probably my least favourite - but I do think he's movie-accurate and his ball-jointed shoulders are a welcome plus. He could probably hold a small pistol in his right hand.

Poggle is a very nicely-tooled specimen, and unlike other Geonosians will stand quite steadily whether his wings are up or down. His staff will come out of his hand (something of which I hadn't been sure from the preview pics), and he's got additional articulation in his left wrist.

Dooku looks good in his 'holo-holding' stance, but a rather oddly-placed joint on his right elbow means that he's rather limited for other scenes, and he can't hold a lightsaber.
I may try swapping his cape with the 'fall-off' version of the original Saga Dooku.
** EDIT - On closer inspection, it appears that they've re-used the torso and head of the first Saga Dooku to build this figure, adding new arms and slightly different legs. The cloak can be removed and placed quite comfortably on the older figure... but it's a tight fit, so be careful if you're removing the cloak that the figure's head doesn't pop off - taking the back of the torso with it!
Luckily I had some Superglue available.... **

The new Jedi are very well-painted, with extra articulation in Even Piell's right elbow and Oppo Rancisis' wrists. The latter has a surprise under his robe that I hadn't expected - an extra pair of (articulated) green arms!

Oppo's tail is made of a similar plastic to the Dianoga & the Nexu, and he's longer than a landspeeder when his tail's straightened.

Piell's other articulation is similar to that of most Yoda figures, but without his cloth robe he will sit in a chair reasonably well.

Mace is EASILY the best EpII version of this character released or proposed to date. He has a (fairly) neutral expression, ball-jointed shoulders, ten other points/directions of articulation (including hinged knee-joints more subtle than anything I can remember seeing on any other figure), and he looks equally at home sitting in his chair resting his chin in his hand (innthe style of "The Thinker") or jumping in the air holding a lightsaber over his head.
My only *slight* reservation about this figure is its soft-goods skirt, but that's just my own personal prejudice against fabric on figures...

None of these three Jedi figures comes with a lightsaber, although all three of them look like they could hold one of the extra sabers from any of the various accessory-sets that have been released over the years.

The plastic props that come with these two sets show promise of looking good when added to their forthcoming counterparts, but the Geonosian table feels slightly flimsy and prone to cracking.
The Jedi chairs come away from their floor section quite easily, leaving it looking like a discarded piece of theatre-scenery. It would have been nice, though, if the mini-holograph of a Jedi that's included with this set were not *glued* onto the floor-piece.

All-in-all, these are two great sets, and I'm looking forward to the next wave!
:)

Teeska Mon Eebon
07-28-2003, 08:01 PM
Oppo is totally off I think the tail is HUGE! everything else in that set is great. The geonoses set is is the worst one San Hill's Head is screwy it's like too small or something and poggle looks like he was left on the dash and his face melted.

One last little complaint is that they're in a bubber dome which is extremely prone to crushing.

Jargo
07-29-2003, 01:09 PM
kdp100 did you pay the 25 for yours from R2's or did you get them cheaper from the discount clb or something? I saw the 25 price point and balked. I'm not paying more than 16 for these sets no matter how rare they become. There's no way that three figures brand new should ever cost that much. For as much as I like John and R2DTOYS I'm surprised at this pricing.

Teeska Mon Eebon
07-29-2003, 05:48 PM
There's some pics of mine before being opened

kdp100
07-30-2003, 07:12 AM
kdp100 did you pay the 25 for yours from R2's or did you get them cheaper from the discount clb or something? I saw the 25 price point and balked. I'm not paying more than 16 for these sets no matter how rare they become. There's no way that three figures brand new should ever cost that much. For as much as I like John and R2DTOYS I'm surprised at this pricing.

Yes, I decided to take the plunge as I've wanted these sets very badly, and for a long time. I'll be surprised if I see them at retail for much less than 25, and I'm quite impatient as a rule - so I decided to go for John's pre-release sets.

Also, payday was coming up! :)

Oppo is totally off I think the tail is HUGE!

I'm not sure. It's just long enough to wind around his chair once and knot itself. It seems to be to scale as far as I can gauge.

Teeska Mon Eebon
07-30-2003, 03:30 PM
Well It might be the upper body that is wrong because I don't remember the tail being that big more like... barley visible

TheDarthVader
07-30-2003, 07:17 PM
And the claws on Oppo's hands were not done very well IMO. Have you seen his "clawed" left hand? (it would be HIS left) This hand is done very poorly. I must say that I found the Geonosis War Room package in good shape today (at Target) and I decided to get it in spite of myself. Poggle and Dooku are my favorite figures and I am a sucker for the "holo" accessories (table and plans). $20 seems too much still but I said, "Oh, well...another bill down the toliet." LOL Oppo could have had a "real feel" beard as well. This would have been awesome! Why make it plastic...? It does not look right. The beard needs to be fuller, look "soft", and seem mangled just like it did in the movie.

El Chuxter
08-08-2003, 10:52 AM
Found these last night at Target. Pretty nice overall, though the packaging looks like it'll be impossible to get in mint condition.

Poggle the Lesser is worth the $20 alone, and Evan is almost as nice. As for San "Bubba" Hill, he looks completely different from the film, but actually is better IMHO. (I think movie Bubba is a total joke.)

And Oppo Rancisis. . . I hate Goatboy. Stupid design, and he always looks like he would stink something awful. Maybe I'll customize some articulated legs onto a Sassy Tiin figure and pose him kicking Goatboy in his poorly-designed rump.

Banthaholic
08-12-2003, 08:29 PM
I managed to snag these today at Target. The cashier was manhandling them pretty bad, but they excaped with out damage. Funny how some taget's like to put up the 'Collector' sign stating that they can't check the back for 'collector' items, then handle these items like a nerf ball...

I am really happy. I think $20 is a good pricepoint. I was actually amazed at how compact the sets were, and how nice they look all boxed up.

The Jedi set is beyond belief. 2 new Jedi, must I say more.

The Geo war room surprised me. I thought San Hill didn't look good by the online shots, but to my amazement I like him. He surprisingly turned out well. The holo table is also great.

Any early word on when the second batch will hit? I hope these sell well, because I'd like to see what future scenes Hasbro could come up with.

Dr Zoltar
08-12-2003, 11:30 PM
I hope these sell well, because I'd like to see what future scenes Hasbro could come up with.

Well with the way these have been disappearing in the Targets around where I live, I'd say we have nothing to worry about.

If more were made, I'd get them in a heartbeat.

yngadult
08-13-2003, 05:31 PM
I'll pass on these and save my $ for the better stuff. They just don't grab me for the money.

jpak001
08-17-2003, 09:05 PM
I found these sets today at Target and didn't hesitate on buying them (even though they're a bit overpriced...).

Haven't busted open the war room set yet, but I have opened the Jedi one. The Mace blows IMO... but the Oppo & Even are awesome! Really fun figs. Even Piell seems like he would have come off a POTJ card rather than a Saga card to me!

I didn't know Oppo has 4 arms, that's why his cloak bulges out like that in the front. Neat little suprise. Here's a pic of his extra arms, then him & Even with some borrowed sabers: