PDA

View Full Version : Simulated Kenobi

Jedi Clint
07-25-2003, 04:02 AM
On June 13th Ewan McGregor had a lifecast done of his head and hands. He couldn't shave off his beard. He was originally slated for a full body cast, but A suitable double was found for his body. They “shave” the clay beard off the head-cast, reproducing a replica of a clean-shaven Obi-Wan. The Creature Shop will use it to do makeup work for an effect needed early in Episode III.

The webcam at 07/24/03 17:31:20 shows eyebrows being added (one hair at a time) to a foam rubber? bust of Ewan. I can only guess that they rest of the hair would be added in the same manner.

What is this being used for!? What type of effect would require a fake representation of Obi Wan Kenobi? Something too dangerous for the actor? Wouldn't they just use a digital model? This has been bugging me for over a month!

Pendo
07-25-2003, 06:18 AM
Maybe they've finaly got it into their heads that a CGI Obi-Wan would look crap :p!

You're right though, wonder why they're not using a digital model...?

Perhaps... maybe... he might...

actually I haven't got a clue :rolleyes:, but here's a pic of what Jedi Clint was talking about anyway :).

PENDO!

The Overlord Returns
07-25-2003, 12:38 PM
Well...the the "Obi Wan is a clone" speculation begin!

2-1B
07-25-2003, 12:57 PM
That is NOT even funny Overlord . . . we don't need that theory revived. :D

The Overlord Returns
07-25-2003, 01:04 PM
That is NOT even funny Overlord . . . we don't need that theory revived. :D

I hear ya man.........but you just know someone is going to flog that dead horse again........

Hmmm....however...I wonder if Obi Wan might fake his own death in the film....I just can't figure out why they would need this replica.

TheDarthVader
07-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Maybe there is someone who poses at Kenobi and thus wears the mask. I could not imagine why they would need to do this...maybe Kenobi is on the council in Ep3 and someone wants to infiltrate the council to gain information...? There could be many scenarios.

Jargo
07-25-2003, 03:01 PM
It's probably just for CGI use like the heads of JarJar and Sebulba, the Yoda puppet on set for AOTC etc. They'll use the lighting reference to match the CGI Obi into the final edit. To try and avoid the pasted into the scen look that some CGI characters have had. If they make the mask as realistic as possible with hair and all it'll make it all the more realistic onscreen in the final movie.
But having said that they're using a full body dummy but it could still be for lighting purposes if Ewan is busy shooting other scenes, a second unit can still plot Ewans movements from recorded data and recreate at leisure the reference needed to do the CGI shots. The only use of a CGI Ewan i could see is if a lot of force action is going on and there are humanly impossible or humanly dangerous stunts to be done like a fall from a great height or a very heavy load falling onto a person. Explosions etc. Perhaps even a volcanic eruption.....

Pendo
07-25-2003, 04:14 PM
Hmmm....however...I wonder if Obi Wan might fake his own death in the film....I just can't figure out why they would need this replica.

The replica could be an actual prop in the movie. Obi-Wan could use it to aid his faking death :). But I think Jargo is probably right, it will probably be used for lighting purposes. :)

PENDO!

Jedi Clint
07-25-2003, 04:31 PM
Thing is, yesterday's set diary just discussed Sam, Hayden, and Ewan getting lighting and camera work done for digital models on this film. Yesterday it was only Sam being worked on, but they mentioned the other 2 specifically as well. So if they are going to have a digital model anyway, what in the ever-lovin' is this simulated Kenobi for? In the past, such replicas were probably necessary for sequences involving placing the actor in danger, but with the digital model only recently being used more frequently (especially on these films) it is hard to define a line where one would be better suited than another.

Also, I made the assumption that they intended on adding the rest of the facial hair..........beardless Obi needed for shooting.....so they go digital......or foam rubber simulation.......???!?!? Argh!

Pendo
07-31-2003, 03:51 PM
From the latest Set Diary:

Speaking of doubles, there were no shortages of Obi-Wans on set today. While Ewan McGregor had finished much of his scenes earlier in the day, Nash Edgerton was on hand for some stunt work. He sports a fake beard and the new older Jedi hairstyle to closely match Ewan's appearance. There's another double on hand, though, who is all the more creepier for his dead-on likeness. He sits on a director's chair with a "Do Not Disturb" sign stuck on him.

"He" isn't really a he, and more of an "it." He's the dummy doppelganger that the Creature Shop has crafted for Kenobi. A particular effect for a scene shot today requires a non-living stand-in, and digital isn't a practical route. This Fauxbi-Wan is very lifelike, with punched hair and beard and exacting paint job. His weighted jointed fingers feel like there's bone in his foam latex hands, and his body is very articulated. Given a few inappropriate whispers overheard on set, I'd hate to see a life-size realistic Ewan McGregor doll fall into the wrong hands.

PENDO!

Jargo
07-31-2003, 04:30 PM
That's got to be a big fall onto a hard surface or an explosion of a vehicle. Oh hell I have no idea but that is a creepy sight there. The hair looks like hitlers though.

Jedi Clint
07-31-2003, 07:24 PM
Ahhhhhhh.............relief. That is an impressive simulated Kenobi. I still wonder why they decided against a digital double.

plo koon 200
07-31-2003, 09:41 PM
I like the new look. It looks a heck of a lot closer to the EIV look.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-31-2003, 09:44 PM
Holy crap, that pic looks FREAKY. I can't think of what they need another Ewan for though. Maybe they're going to bring in his twin brother Renton from "Trainspotting" and they'll duke it out or something. Just theory. :crazed: hehehehehe