PDA

View Full Version : Who is the "Chosen One"

JediBoulton
07-27-2003, 12:58 AM
My wife and I were watching ATOC tonight and she asked the question,"
If anakin is the one that is supposed to bring balance to the force -- then why do we see Luke as such a hero?"

1. -- He destroyed the Death Star.
2. -- He found his twin sister.
3. -- He help (sorta) sway Vader/Anakin back to the Good side of the Force.

In other treads -- and I have to agree -- the SW Triliogy seems to be the story of Anakin. His rise to a jedi -- his fall to the dark side -- then his renewal of his faith.

Does she have a good point -- or should I just tell her to go back to scrapbooking and leave the hard stuff to the SW Pros :crazed:

2-1B
07-27-2003, 01:09 AM
I think it's a good point that she makes. I know it's "official" that Anakin is the chosen one (I believe George said something supporting that?) but anyway Luke was certainly the biggest key to helping Anakin fulfill that role . . . so I won't take that away from Luke. :)

JediBoulton
07-27-2003, 01:15 AM
I think it's a good point that she makes. I know it's "official" that Anakin is the chosen one (I believe George said something supporting that?) but anyway Luke was certainly the biggest key to helping Anakin fulfill that role . . . so I won't take that away from Luke. :)

I guess its the same in any universe -- we sons have to go fix what our fathers screwed up in the past (love ya dad) :D

Beast
07-27-2003, 01:16 AM
Anakin is the chosen one, because without him Palpatine would never have been defeated. Remember he pitches Palpy down the reactor shaft of the second Death Star. Sure he's also responsable for a lot of death as Palpatine's right hand man.

But that would have happened anyway if Palpatine had a tool like Maul still serving him. Sure, Luke did great things. But that's because he was the Son of Skywalker who also did great things. And if it wasn't for a father's love for his son, Palpatine would have continued his rule of Emperor. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediBoulton
07-27-2003, 01:23 AM
Gee thanks guys -- now I am going to tell my wife she has some good insite and allow her to voice her opinions and stuff!! :cry:

Pendo
07-27-2003, 05:31 AM
I know Ani is the Chosen One, and there is more evidence to support that, but IMO I think I'd rather Luke be the Chosen One, as it would show Qui-Gon's, Obi-Wan's and the Jedi Council's errors in The Phantom Menace :).

PENDO!

Darth Spectre
07-29-2003, 10:56 AM
Even though Lucas has said Anakin was the Chosen One, there could be a compelling case made for Luke (though yes, it is kind of pointless I admit...LOL). In the end, Anakin does bring the Force into balance. He nearly destroys the Jedi, before destroying the Sith. The Jedi Purge also allowed the two wisest and most "perfect" Jedi to survive: Yoda & Obi-Wan (to rebuild a better order).

Darth Spectre
07-29-2003, 11:02 AM
And even if Luke could be the Chosen One, it certainly wouldn't show any errors on Obi-Wan's part. He knew Anakin was dangerous from the get-go. He only trained him out of obligation and love for Qui-Gon. Of course he grew to love and respect Anakin, but more than anyone (and this can be seen in AOTC) he knew Anakin and he knew his weaknesses. Obi-Wan was the one who knew Anakin should not be sent to protect Padme. It was the council that made the mistake, not him.

sith_killer_99
07-29-2003, 11:40 AM
In the end, Anakin does bring the Force into balance. He nearly destroys the Jedi, before destroying the Sith.

I agree, this is what I find soo funny about TPM and the "prophesy"! Anakin was meant to bring balance to the force. But when you think about it, the Republic was sort tilted towards the light. Order was being maintained throughout the galaxy by the Jedi. So, in order to bring balance Anakin had to kill a lot of Jedi. Then the scale tilts the other way for a while, finally he ends up offing the baddest dude in the galaxy, thus bringing "balance" to the force.

The Jedi Purge also allowed the two wisest and most "perfect" Jedi to survive: Yoda & Obi-Wan (to rebuild a better order).

I have to disagree here on one major point, it is Luke who rebuilds the order and it is much different from the one Yoda and Obi-Wan knew. Remember Yoda still held his biases about age and training. "He is too old, yes, too old to begin the training." He ends up training him because there is no choice.

JM2C

TheDarthVader
07-29-2003, 12:02 PM
I agree with sith killer's post. Vader kills Jedi and then kills Palpatine. By his actions, the force becomes balanced in the end. Luke is the one responsible for rebuilding the next jedi legacy, not kenobi or yoda. They were great jedi, but their duty was to train luke. It became his responsibility to rebuild the order himself after their deaths.

Darth Spectre
07-29-2003, 12:08 PM
I agree, this is what I find soo funny about TPM and the "prophesy"! Anakin was meant to bring balance to the force. But when you think about it, the Republic was sort tilted towards the light. Order was being maintained throughout the galaxy by the Jedi. So, in order to bring balance Anakin had to kill a lot of Jedi. Then the scale tilts the other way for a while, finally he ends up offing the baddest dude in the galaxy, thus bringing "balance" to the force.

I have to disagree here on one major point, it is Luke who rebuilds the order and it is much different from the one Yoda and Obi-Wan knew. Remember Yoda still held his biases about age and training. "He is too old, yes, too old to begin the training." He ends up training him because there is no choice.

JM2C

Part of what Yoda said may have simply been to test Luke and his responses. Because as you said, he had no choice to train Luke anyway so Yoda had to move beyond the old rules. If he stuck to them, then Luke would not have been trained. Plus, it was Obi-Wan more who probably less attached to the old ideals than Yoda, not just because he was younger but also because he seemed more human (not in the obvious sense) than most of the Jedi. And the order is rebuilt by Obi-Wan and Yoda, with Luke. We assume (leaving all the EU garbage aside) that Luke will begin to bring back the Jedi. But we also don't know how he would actually do it, rule wise. So, yes...if the order is to ever flourish again, Luke will have to be the catalyst. But it was Yoda and Obi-Wan that ensured there would be such a catalyst.

Jargo
07-29-2003, 02:53 PM
You're all wrong, the chosen one was kitster but stoopid Qui-gon went and kidnapped the wrong kid.

Jedi Clint
07-29-2003, 09:05 PM
I don't think the number of Jedi or Sith mean anything to the balance of the force. As the Jedi are dying the force becomes further unbalanced. There will always be conflict between positive and negative forces within the system. The force exists in all things and beings, and as it is such an awe-encompassing entity, it is more likely that the balance of it's yin and yang is dispersed throughout. The entire galaxy is plunged into darkness by Palpatine, and Anakin eventually ends Palpatine's reign. The galaxy can then go back to the way it was.....a constant amalgam of struggles between positive and negative without either being dominant.