PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter: Star Wars Related



snakeplkn
11-22-2001, 10:48 PM
Maybe someone has already expressed this viewpoint in some thread considering the animosity generated when a same subject comes up twice, but here goes nothing …

I just got around to seeing Harry Potter. I thought it could have been shorter, but otherwise was extremely well done. It avoided the trap of dumbing itself down like what happened with the X-Files. Watching the movie however I felt some striking similarities between the film and Star Wars.

1) Quidditch: Endor speederbike sequence with broomsticks

2) Devil’s Snare: instantly thought of the Death Star trash compactor

3) Mountain troll: the fight between him and the kids reminded me of the Rancor

4) Professor Snape: his cape seemed to bear some resemblance to Darth Vader

5) Music: some of the John Williams score sounded very similar to ANH’s Jawa theme

6) The pairing of Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, and Harry seemed similar to ANH’s Han, Leia, and Luke.

7) And of course, parallels between Harry and Luke.

Snake Plissken
“A little human compassion”

GNT
11-22-2001, 11:15 PM
Very interesting snakeplkn :) , Now how log has it been since you've seen the SW movies? :)

Rollo Tomassi
11-23-2001, 12:48 PM
Piont#6: Ewwwwww..does that mean Hermione and Harry will end up being brother and sister???

derek
11-23-2001, 02:08 PM
hey snake, if the first line of your post was intended for me, dude, i was joking. but nevertheless, the humor may have been lost in cyber space, so in you were offended, i'm sorry. and despite what rollo says, i never called you a doodie head:)

Brave Sir Robin
11-23-2001, 02:56 PM
didja also notice that Ian "Palpatine" McDiramid plays the wand merchant at Diagon Alley, and that Warwick "Wicket" Davis (under a lot of makeup) plays Professor Flitwick?

Rollo Tomassi
11-24-2001, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Brave Sir Robin
didja also notice that Ian "Palpatine" McDiramid plays the wand merchant at Diagon Alley, and that Warwick "Wicket" Davis (under a lot of makeup) plays Professor Flitwick?


...except it's John "An alien burst out of my chest/I was the Elephant Man/I was the creepy old rich dude in Contact" Hurt whose playing Mr. Ollivander, the wand merchant, but, yeah, other than that it's Ian McDermid:rolleyes: :crazed:

And Verne "mini-me" Shroyer is the goblin who opens up the vaults for Harry and Hagrid!

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2001, 10:56 AM
Rollo, I thought that Warwick Davis pulled a Silas Carson and was double-cast as Prof. Flitwick and that goblin. I could be wrong.

If you look closely, in the crowd during the Quidditch match, over by the left of the screen, there's someone who might be a person. But you've gotta look fast! :frus: :D :evil: :p

Just kidding. He isn't there! Ha ha! ;)

GNT
11-24-2001, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
If you look closely, in the crowd during the Quidditch match, over by the left of the screen, there's someone who might be a person. But you've gotta look fast! :frus: :D :evil: :p

Just kidding. He isn't there! Ha ha! ;)

I wasted 7 bucks for nothing! :mad:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-25-2001, 09:38 AM
Wow, GNT! Seven bucks is pretty good here in the states for a movie ticket price. Even matinee showings are about that much now. Or is $7 Austrailian like $150 US or something? :sur: Sorry I couldn't have helped you on that "person in the Quidditch match" rumor. ;)

Rollo Tomassi
11-25-2001, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Rollo, I thought that Warwick Davis pulled a Silas Carson and was double-cast as Prof. Flitwick and that goblin. I could be wrong.



I think the first evil lookin goblin sitting at the desk is indeed Warwick Davis, but the one that goes with them is Verne. He has that mini-me waddle in his step.:) :D

GNT
11-26-2001, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Wow, GNT! Seven bucks is pretty good here in the states for a movie ticket price. Even matinee showings are about that much now. Or is $7 Austrailian like $150 US or something? :sur: Sorry I couldn't have helped you on that "person in the Quidditch match" rumor. ;)

Its the other way around really, $1 here = 50 US cents,so tickets here are $7(can go up to $12 depending where you go) which equals about US$3.50,cheaper than a figure :)

Wolfwood319
11-26-2001, 02:08 AM
How much do figures run you down there? Vehicles?

GNT
11-26-2001, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
How much do figures run you down there? Vehicles?

Figures start at $12.95(some shops here as high as $16) thats around US$6-8 per figure :(

Vechicles is another matter,TRU marks up prices like nothing:

Skiff - $70 (US$35)
B-Wing - $99 (US$50)
That EP1 Obi Wan vs Dath Maul - $40 (around US $20)
Boba Fett 300 - $30 ($US15-16)

some bad some good, I guess they can find suckers to buy the figures and that!

Wolfwood319
11-26-2001, 02:23 AM
If I was in Sydney, call me a sucker!

Actually, the vehicle prices are pretty high, but at least you have them on the shelves. I've seen scalpers here charge $60-$80 for B-wings and so on.

GNT
11-26-2001, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Actually, the vehicle prices are pretty high

And thats why they remain on the shelves collecting dust :)

Sith Worm
11-26-2001, 06:19 PM
FIRST OF ALL I NEVER THOUGHT THAT I WOULD EVER SEE HARRY AND SW WAS COMPARED AS THE SAME! second I feel as if I am doing something wrong replying to GNT and Wolf's of the thread subject, but I would go ahead and buy those vech.s you would end up paying more at A show. Do you have many shows over there GNT?

Brave Sir Robin
11-27-2001, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi



...except it's John "An alien burst out of my chest/I was the Elephant Man/I was the creepy old rich dude in Contact" Hurt whose playing Mr. Ollivander, the wand merchant, but, yeah, other than that it's Ian McDermid

whaaaaaaaat? I coulda swore that that was Ian McDiramid. How odd. ok whatever.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-27-2001, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by GNT


I wasted 7 bucks for nothing! :mad:

Uh, GNT, when you waste something it is usually for nothing. Just like the time I used to make this post.;)