PDA

View Full Version : Lucid Dreams

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Lucid dreaming means that when you are dreaming and realize you are dreaming, you can take control of your dream and do whatever you want. This seems to be a very interesting possibility. Does anybody know how these can be achieved? I saw on the Ed show that, appaarently, dipping a pickle in peanut butter and eating it right before bed makes it work. I don't know if that would work or not. So if anyone can tell me how to have a lucid dream, I'd appreciate it. :)

Pendo
07-28-2003, 02:19 PM
I'm just woried about what JabbaJohnL wants to dream about :eek:.

PENDO!

LTBasker
07-28-2003, 03:17 PM
I've had a couple lucid dreams. One was very interesting.. The dream started out that there was a group of people who lived behind us that were trying to take over our house and whatnot, so then they started moving to attack us. Well it was then I realized it was a dream, and man I was gonna kick some tail! So I ended up actually killing them all, in pretty interesting ways as well. But then I somehow lost control of the dream and they all respawned ,and were about to own me before I woke up. :(

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Jabba- finally, another "Ed" fan!!! I thought i was the only one on the boards!!!!! yay!! :D

I think the way to trigger them is to eat really weird food combinations and whatnot. Hence, why Ed ate pickles and peanut butter (yuck). There are other ways to trigger them, but i can't recall. I'd browse around the net for more info. :D

plasticfetish
07-28-2003, 04:45 PM
What an interesting and somewhat kooky topic for you to bring up.

I've done some reading on this and as it turns out had at a young age some experience with lucid dreaming. I'm pretty certain that the eating whatever thing hasn't very much to do with it. The biggest trick is finding a way to remind yourself, while you're dreaming, that you are dreaming. Make sense? When I was a kid (9ish) I used to have these reoccurring nightmares, something silly and probably stress related, but it became an issue. I always figured that if I could find a way to remind myself that I was only dreaming, then I could perhaps change the pattern of the dream or even find a way to end them. I would practice (and as it turns out I was meditating) at developing a cue to myself where as I felt the nightmare coming on, I could simply say (in the dream) "this is a dream." It took a few months, but eventually it happened. One night as that same dream began I was able to give myself the cue, remember and then become conscious of the fact that I was dreaming ... then with little effort control and end the dream. Never had that one again after that. I tried it a few more times, but without any real purpose I lost interest.

A few years ago I found out about the topic of Lucid Dreaming and was pretty surprised that it was a topic. The one thing that I do remember reading (and you could probably look around for info) is that in the long run, it's probably not healthy. Your dreams are controlled by the subconscious mind for a reason ... gives the conscious mind a little time to shut down and rest/heal. Too much lucid dreaming denies the conscious mind of that needed down time.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-28-2003, 07:44 PM
I'm just woried about what JabbaJohnL wants to dream about :eek:.

PENDO!
Being a Jedi *making sweet sweet love to Padmé*, going to Hogwarts, *making sweet sweet love to Hermione*, and umm . . . flying, I guess . . . :D

But so I'll have to try it tonight, maybe it'll work! I had a dream I was at Disneyland last night, too bad I didn't do it then.

EDIT: JMG, too cool! I love that show! Hopefully it will get picked up for another season! Now that he FINALLY made out with Carol :rolleyes:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-28-2003, 10:14 PM
If I remember correctly, a catalog with all sorts of odd stuff titled, "Things You Never Knew Existed" advertised a device called "Lucid Dreaming" that supposedly allows the wearer to control their dreams.

The device is actually a blindfold with a little light instrument connected to it, that you put around your eyes before sleeping. The blindfold apparently scans your eyes in order to detect REM or rapid eye movement, a good indicator that you might be dreaming. Once the sensor detects REM, the light instrument will light up, and if you just think of the light mechanism as your cue to control your dreams before you fall asleep, then you are in business.

It cost $250.00 for the longest time (with money back guarantee if not satisfied) but I think they slashed it to $199.00. I haven't heard any real feedback to whether or not the device works or not. I think if it worked really well, it would be something that is more frequently advertised or out there on the market, instead of in a catalog. So my guess is that it may not.

EricRG
07-29-2003, 12:02 AM
Ah yes, dream control. (See the Queensryche song, "Silent Lucidity"...it's about Lucid Dreaming). But anyway, the basics to achieving dream control are, as has been mentioned, to realize you are actually dreaming. The most "popular" techniques to do this are:

1) To constantly ask yourself in your waking life if you are dreaming. I know, it sounds silly (but not 1/2 as silly as pickles and peanut butter :)). Sorta works the same as if you are concentrating really hard on something during the day, it often infiltrates into your dreams. Eventually, you will find yourself asking "Am I dreaming?" while you are dreaming.

2) Dream journals. Ideally done with a tape recorder, as soon as you wake up, record what you have dreamt. Record every detail you can remember. Eventually dreams will become easier to remember as your mind becomes better at being "ready to remember" when you wake up. Sorta incorporates the dreams to a more conscious level.

The formula is to combine both of the above. "If you persist in your efforts, you will achieve dream control." It takes a long time to really develop, but a lot of people have had success. Oh, and also pickles and peanut butter! (Enjoy! The only thing that'll do for me is a night of indigestion.)

mabudonicus
07-29-2003, 01:15 AM
I was going to post exactly what EricRG posted:) whaddya know...
Dream journals seem to be a big help to many trying to achieve this....

I know I'm usually goofing in my posts, but I do really have pretty good "dream control", if you will... sad thing is, I tend to do "real" things in dreams and kill all the fun.... when it works it is really big fun, but as other posts have stated it also does involve really weird combinations of stuff, more the exact pattern of sounds while you are sleeping, and whether they are similar to or different from (and if so by how much) the norm..
Good luck on your most noble quest, sir;)!!!!

jjreason
07-29-2003, 02:14 AM
I have only experienced it once or maybe twice. I don't recall my dreams too frequently, and even the ones I do recall fade quite quickly. Jodi can remember lots of hers, nearly every day. She's had the ability to control what she's dreaming about - though not always what happens in the dreams themselves.

My last one (not lucid) was odd - any psychoanalysts want to take a crack?

I pull up to a huge tree in the police car, not sure what's going on. People are up there, maybe 20 - 30, dressed for business. 40ish years old, men and women both. They've decided they're going to jump from up there, hence the call for me to attend. There are a number of people on the ground already, some still, some still writhing around in pain. One guy jumps right in front of me, and hits the ground incredibly hard. He lied still for a sec - then incredibly he's alive! I ran to him, but then I woke up (good thing, because seeing people all gibbled up like that is not all it's cracked up to be, in my opnion). What's up with that?

plasticfetish
07-29-2003, 02:41 AM
Mmmm ... I'll guess that it's a general job related stress dream. Trees can stand for a lot of things ... life, balance, stability, etc. The people jumping from the tree may relate in general to the traumatic situations that you find yourself dealing with in real life. You said it yourself, "seeing people all gibbled up like that is not all it's cracked up to be." They ask you to join them? Could be something to do with your feelings of sympathy toward them. In your job you're required to be detached emotionally, but deep down you can never be completely without empathy. You choose to help the fallen victim, to do your job, rather than "join" them. You can't very well be a victim if it's your job to serve and protect ... this makes you somewhat of an outsider. I would suppose it has something to do with that also.

(Just a guess, I ain't no psychomawhatsits.)

Tonysmo
07-29-2003, 03:08 AM
I'll have to practice the whole lucid thing.. WHERE WERE YOU GUYS A MONTH AGO!! The dream was awesome, as I was just sorta hangin out casual style on the couch with none other than the Alyssa Milano.. While I thought the dream was awesome, Im sure it could have been MUCH better. What I'd like to know, is how does one wake up, realize the dream thier about to give up, and try to go back to sleep to pick up where it left off?? What bothers me the most, is when you are having a dream like such, and you finally do realize that its a dream, and its about to get sooooo much better.. then .. beep beep beep the alarm goes off.. grrrrr.... why oh why do all awesome dreams start an hour before you have to get up?

also... Im not really sure whats worse, mabudons avatar.. or me knowing that the picture is Manudo with just seeing those faces.. I feel icky..

plasticfetish
07-29-2003, 03:32 AM
I read somewhere (I think in an interview) that Alyssa Milano likes to garden topless. Nothing kinky, she just feels more at one with nature that way. Something to dream about for you. Just be careful with the lucid dreaming and don't get mixed up ... or you're libel to end up with Ralph Macchio mowing your lawn or something instead.

Tonysmo
07-29-2003, 03:49 AM
LMAO, How funny.. If that happens,, Im blamin you! You could have just left it at she gardens topless.. but nooooo you just had to throw in Macchio.. It'll never be the same..

maybe I should just refresh my memory. Time to do a google search..

sucks Im at work.

scruffziller
07-29-2003, 06:51 AM
What an interesting and somewhat kooky topic for you to bring up.

I've done some reading on this and as it turns out had at a young age some experience with lucid dreaming. I'm pretty certain that the eating whatever thing hasn't very much to do with it. The biggest trick is finding a way to remind yourself, while you're dreaming, that you are dreaming.
Well in that case I will use C3PO as a way to remind myself with his head swiveling inspired by you PF!!!!!!:D

I don't think I have ever really had what you guys are calling lucid dreaming. Every dream I have had I thought was reality. I remember in my dreams saying to myself "I am not dreaming". I thought lucid dreaming was that the dream was so vivid and real that it was difficult to tell if you were dreaming.

jeddah
07-29-2003, 07:21 AM
....now we're in my territory :D

The topic of lucid dreams have been a hot potatot between the old-school and metaphysical science fraternity for some time and neither can agree. As a somewhat frequent lucid dreamer I can only speak from experience and give you some tips on what helps :)

The trick to success is to make sure that the desire to experience this kind of dream is heavily shored in the subconscious with a deep enthusiasm. If you research, read and surround yourself with the pursuit of lucid dreaming, before too long, you will automatically do so - although at first your control of the dream environment and dreamstate will be limited. Some books (such as The Lucid Dreamer) recommend performing a symbolic action each night that speaks to your subconscious of your desire to lucid dream. This can take the form of anything really, but something simple like tracing a pattern on your pillow or bedsheets would suffice. Doctors recommend to those with sleeping difficulties that they should limit bed use for sleep and good-luvin ;) , this then tells the brain when you get into bed that it is time for sleep and the appropriate responses can be sent by the brain to assist in shutting down for the night. This symbolic act is based on the same premise. In any case, it doesn't hurt to try.

The most fertile time for lucid dreams is when you are coming out of your night's sleep -and I have had particular success with LDs when I am sleeping throughout the day. Our sleep cycle at night consists of many different depths of sleep and when you are in deep sleep you are not dreaming, you are repairing and resting. Dreaming occurs with REM sleep and this kind of sleep is a light sleep. Therefore it is more conducive to LDs when you nap through the day. Try it!

One of the other hazards is staying in the lucid state. When you realise you are in a dream, it is easy to slip back into the uncontrolled dream state so try to devise a mental signal to remember when you are dreaming and hold onto that. Again this is just focussing on something when you are awake so that is sinks to your subconscious. I visualised a small elastic band around my left index finger. When I woke into the lucid state and realised I was lucid. I visualised the red band which in my waking state I had visualised as a signal that I was dreaming lucidly. Thereafter the band on my finger reminded me why I was there. There was no reason for it other than to remind me to wake into the dream if I fell into the oblivious dream state again :)

One of the most strange experiences is when you wake up in the position that you go to sleep in and get up and begin doing things only to realise that something is 'odd' and then it is like "oooh snap!" and you realise you aren't awake. That is freaky yet cool at the same time :D I remember the first time I was successful in actively seeking an LR; I got up out of bed thinking I was awake and went to the sink to get a drink. Then when I went to leave my bedroom and turn out the light, I walked out the door and put my hand on the wall as I walked out, to flick off the switch. My hands couldn't find it and I stopped, my arm still in the room, the rest of my body on the first floor landing, fishing absently for the switch. After a few seconds I walked back into the room and saw there was no switch, just wallpaper continuing over where the switch normally and then it dawned. It was so strange an experience!

I think the main benefit for LRs once you have got over the addiction of imagining space-ready A-wings parked in your back garden etc, is to use it for working out problems. I have had a lot of help this way.

Also, be aware of your 'dream friends' - I don't know if this is an artefact of lucid dreaming, or because I have a strong clairvoyance, but I have had many interactions with 'real' people and nebulous energies in an LR state. Not ghosts per se, more like guides. And I am not given to airy fairy treehugginess so I was quite surprised when this first happened.

Finally, as has been said a number of times; keep a dream journal. It will be the one tool that helps you monitor your progress and also seems to have a massive impact on success. It may be a chore but do it.

Oh and I just remembered, to dispell some myths; if you die in your dreams it does not mean you would die in real life - how anyone would know this is beyond me; food has no bearing whatsoever on dreams - only on whetehr or not you get indigestion. As a rule, don't eat 3 hours before you go to bed as it is not good for your metabolism.

Good luck, keep us infomred of your progress!

:)

jeddah

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-29-2003, 11:40 AM
Everyone, thanks so much! I'll have to remember this stuff tonight. :)

Unfortunately I wasn't able to do this last night. I think I had a dream I was at the mall, and my pants were full of semen :eek: and then later, or before I don't know, I was dreaming I was at the computer, umm, pleasuring myself. It was very odd. It wasn't lucid, which was probably good. :D

LusiferSam
07-29-2003, 12:28 PM
I also consider my self a frequent lucid dreamer. Most often I have lucid dreams right before I get up, like between I have hit the snooze button and alarm goes off again or like jeddah said when napping. Nights that I have trouble going to sleep I that I will slip into a lucid dream before drifting off.
These are what I would call light lucids because they happen in a lighter sleep and are more easily disrupted. But I also have a deeper lucid. These I assume happen more in my REM state because I don't wake up right away, I realize have gone back to (or stayed) asleep and they aren't easily disrupted, i.e. the dream end when I want it to. They only happen for me about once or twice a year. And as far dreams go these are of the more fun, but they tend to a lot a like. I a lot of flying for some reason and despite the fact that I know I can do anything I choose to fly.
I have no advice how to reach the lucid dream state. For me it happens this way: I'm dreaming and just realize its a dream. But the realization often comes with a price. In a light sleep the realization will wake me about half the time, killing the dream.
Any way pleasant dreams people.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-29-2003, 10:29 PM
Check out this website if you are interested in finding out about the Nova Dreamer, the device that I talked about in my last post, that supposedly helps you control your dreams. If you were considering getting the device my best advice would be to try the "Things You Never Knew Existed" Catalog put out by the Johnson-Smith Company. Their advertised price is over $100.00 cheaper than the price advertised on the website.

http://4mentalfitness.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/online-store/scstore/c-Lucid_Dreaming.html?E+scstore

bobafrett
07-29-2003, 11:40 PM
While I was on the road driving back to Illinois, and driving somewhere through Atlanta Georgia, I heard a program on Lucid dreaming. I wish I could remember, but the guy who had studied and participated in Lucid dreaming, gave the steps to prepare yourself to have a lucid dream. I love dreaming, especially when you wake up and actually believe you lived through what you dreamed about.

Funny story, when I was about 20, I was working overnights at 7-Eleven. I worked about 20 nights straight, and I would have dreams that customers were driving up to my apartment window and placing food orders. I would get up half asleep in my dream, and get them bread, or a slurpee in my underwear. I think my brain was overworked.

EricRG
07-29-2003, 11:48 PM
:crazed: LOL! That's hilarious bobafrett! That made my day. Good break from this grueling thesis proposal writing.

mabudonicus
07-30-2003, 08:51 AM
jeddah, the phnomenon you mentioned where you are drifting off to sleep happens to me a lot... I clearly imagine myself getting up and doing things, like recalling that something was on the stove and going to deal with it and all sorts of weird stuff starts happening, then BAM I wake up and realize that I was having a sort of pseudo dream or something...
I have an odd sort of lucid dreaming ability, in that I can usually ignore goofy elements and make them go away, I recall entering a lucid state sometimes when dreams go weird, like once I was in some odd house (in a dream) and in all the corners there were little cracks through which you could see that the building was surrounded by fire... it wasn't hot or even scary, so in the dream I halfheartedly tried to pour water on the flames, but they just kept moving out of the way, and I was thinking that this was not correct, then I decided to try to use the phone, but it wouldn't work either, so I remember just standing there thinking how dumb this particular dream was and wondering how it could be made interesting and after a while doing this everything just sorta faded away....

jeddah
07-30-2003, 10:49 AM
Hmm, that one sounds very odd doesn't it? Like you were drifitng in and out of lucid dreams (which I suppose is common enough).

The state you are describing (about mentioning the stove) is called hypnogogic. This is the very suggestible state your mind goes into as you enter sleep. It is a deeper form of the meditative state and a deeper form of what hypnotism augments. People also tend to hear familiar voices or an ability to speak or understand foreign languages when in this state. It's all very interesting. :)

jeddah

Jargo
07-30-2003, 12:21 PM
I have lucid dreams a lot and for the longest time i would remember every detail when i fully awoke and write them all down. Obviously i was dreaming coming out of a nights sleep. I actually had a lucid dream this morning because i forgot to take my anti anxiety tablet yesterday . the tablets inhibit dreamstates unfortunately. Anyway this dream was about some guy who wanted to make a transformer robot thingy and built an enormous 100 foot tall thing made of giant meccano pieces. It was all set to go live and they did a few test movements on parts and then this huge flying tank arrived and started to blast away at the buildings all around and then The transformer started to shuffle forward and wobbled a bit then tried to transform from robot form into some kind of vehicle with cannons and as it folded up the whole thing collapsed on top of the military personnel waiting below and the last thing I saw was this tiny wee guy inside the transformer head trapped in a seat with lots of wires all around him and every little movement he made with his body was transmitted to the transformer body and it too was sort of struggling around like a dying fly. Kind of weird and funny too. :) This means something - something important......

Patient Zero
07-30-2003, 12:52 PM
Take vitamin C as well as a B complex before you go to bed. But be carefull not to take more than 200mg per day of either C or B on a long term basis as excessive use of one of them (I can't remember which one) causes nerve damage.

The major thing is to be thinking about it alot in order to remember to realize that you are dreaming. It is simple enough to just read a book about it a few times as to have the idea on your mind.

InsaneJediGirl
07-31-2003, 10:29 AM
For some reason,for the last six months,I havent remembered any dreams.The last one I had was ultra-werid,so maybe my mind is just suppressing them for awhile..

Lucid Dreaming does sound cool,I might have had one before.I had a few dreams where I just did my normal everyday stuff(which was boring) and seemed in control

Tycho
08-04-2003, 01:32 AM
I was asleep in my bed when I noticed a sharp pain in my right foot.

I was afraid to look. It felt like all the skin adn muscle had been ripped off.

Finally I did look, and through a bloody hole in my foot I could see clear to my bones.

-Only I didn't have bones! By flexing my toes I could see the titanium steel wires and pullies moving my heavy metalic digits that simulated my right foot.

While painful, the gash in my foot didn't hurt as much as it should have, and tapping on my shin on the same right leg revealed a metallic clang.

I feared the worst! But what could I do? I couldn't go to a doctor! What would they do when they realized I was a Terminator?!!!

I decided I needed to protect myself before I could covertly seek treatment. Weapons procurement was first on my list.

I needed firepower and I needed it fast.

I got out of bed and made to dress and find the nearest gun shop, - then I woke up!

My right foot looked alright, but it still had that funny ache to it like it had recently been stripped of all flesh and muscle.

To this day I do not know if maybe I'm a Terminator!

I'm afraid that someday the programming will kick in, and I'll be directed to fulfill my mission of executions.

jeddah
08-04-2003, 03:44 AM
I was asleep in my bed when I noticed a sharp pain in my right foot.

I was afraid to look. It felt like all the skin adn muscle had been ripped off.

Finally I did look, and through a bloody hole in my foot I could see clear to my bones.

-Only I didn't have bones! By flexing my toes I could see the titanium steel wires and pullies moving my heavy metalic digits that simulated my right foot.

While painful, the gash in my foot didn't hurt as much as it should have, and tapping on my shin on the same right leg revealed a metallic clang.

I feared the worst! But what could I do? I couldn't go to a doctor! What would they do when they realized I was a Terminator?!!!

I decided I needed to protect myself before I could covertly seek treatment. Weapons procurement was first on my list.

I needed firepower and I needed it fast.

I got out of bed and made to dress and find the nearest gun shop, - then I woke up!

My right foot looked alright, but it still had that funny ache to it like it had recently been stripped of all flesh and muscle.

To this day I do not know if maybe I'm a Terminator!

I'm afraid that someday the programming will kick in, and I'll be directed to fulfill my mission of executions.

Tycho,

You sound like you could be a sleeper to me

:D :D :D

jeddah

Teeska Mon Eebon
08-04-2003, 09:23 PM
I'm sorry everyone that you haven't achieved lucid dreaming I wish I didn't.... I starded doing it in third grade, I had a reacurring dream of a T-Rex chasing me I had about 2 dozen of them until I stopped and took over. I was quite scary for a third grader and I found a handgun in a trashcan (which my consious mind convinioently placed there) And took out the Dinosaur with extreme prejudice... Since then I haven't dreamed often and when I do I automaticly fall into Lucidity... Although sometimes I know I'm in a dream and I sit back and watch.... It's a weird feeling kinda like watching a movie in my sleep, Although I did that once (That's prolly where I saw the deleted biggs scene and a few others I can't specificly remember from ESB and ROTJ :)) It's the coolest thing in the world and Lucid dreaming hselps me sleep better than normal because I'm relaxed usually sitting down and drinking a cherry coke of some stupid thing like that

mabudonicus
08-05-2003, 09:00 AM
AHHHH, TME, I too have seen deleted scenes in my dreams... in january or so before AOTC came out I had this dream I was at some sort of party in a dormitory at some University... I can't recall the scene it started on, anyways...
I was bored with whatever was happening and decided that if I tried I could find where the geeks were, and that, being university geeks, they would have some way of seeing the film (magic internet connection or some such thing).... I finally founf the room full of guys eating popcorn and weird monitors everywhere, and they said they were just buffering it and we'd be watching it soon, so I ran off to get JediElf, superexcited....
I got back to the room and when the film started I was in shock... it looked like something I coulda made... the crawl was all shaky and on paper (I believe one of the geeks said the film wasn;'t fully finished, and it showed)... when the actual "film" started, it was nothing but scenes of spaceships all cut together in no particular order, sometimes with just a rotating model onscreen like some sort of "vehicle choosing" screen from a video game...
Cut between this were scenes of Vintage SW figures (incomplete ones at that) obviously being held by hands and smacking against each other like 3 year olds were playing with them... someone was saying dialogue in the background of these scenes....
Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed and said so, but everyone in the room was loving it so I just went to find wherethe jocks were partying and that was that... kinda funny...
The worst is finding toys in dreams... I once found a chewbacca with these huge bone claws instead of hands and he was called "tusken Chewie"...
Oh, while we're at it- jeddah- is there any merit in the belief that one can;t see any legible characters in dreams?? I'm SURE I can, but "they" always say that it is patently impossible... am I just imagining it, or is it really happening?? Do you have any experience with this??
Pretty cool thread so far to EVERYONE!!!

jeddah
08-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Oh, while we're at it- jeddah- is there any merit in the belief that one can;t see any legible characters in dreams?? I'm SURE I can, but "they" always say that it is patently impossible... am I just imagining it, or is it really happening?? Do you have any experience with this??
Pretty cool thread so far to EVERYONE!!!

Unfortunately I am not so qualified as you seem to think ;) but I have had countless dreams of real, defined people. So that is my experience. :)

I agree; good thread

jeddah

mabudonicus
08-05-2003, 11:54 AM
Ah, thanks for the somewhat self-deprecating reply, jeddah....
Not so much people characters, but stuff like words and letters and stuff... I've read some fairly decisive declarations that since dreaming doesn't use the "logic" parts of yer brain that you can't actually make out letters and numbers and stuff, that the dream sub-conscious doesn't have access, same kinda thing as saying that one cannot remember smells, which I am sure is bunk, since there are many smells I wish I could forget:)

Anyways, no worries, jeddah, I would rather speak with people who are NOT experts in such a field(just like ME;)) as "expertise" usually represents some kind of understanding, and IMHO there is no such thing in this field, y'know, many case-by-case scenarios, some of which form patterns... the brain seems to be victim of simplification in many people's minds... I have had conversations with people who believe that science has the brain all figured out, but I've not seen nearly enough to suggest that such a thing is possible, let alone true...
but who says postulating isn't fun, 'specially since we all HAVE brains that do things, whether we realize this or not :D

plasticfetish
08-05-2003, 12:28 PM
The worst is finding toys in dreams... I once found a chewbacca with these huge bone claws instead of hands and he was called "tusken Chewie"...
Hey great idea there Mr. Mabudon ... did your dream include any ideas for an action effect? Did your dream explain how to get the stores to stock this figure? Could you perhaps dream up some new ideas for the Beyblade line next and then get back to us? - yours truly, Hasbro Toys.

mabudonicus
08-06-2003, 08:53 AM
Done and Done, PF ;)
Seriously, in one action figure dream (I actually have them pretty often) they were on these weird GIJoe cards and I was the only one who knew...
As for beyblade.... what, you mean they actually DESIGN that bunk??? Why not just re-paint em... I KNOW if I consulted my dreams, the only way my subconscious could make em fun would be to make them DEADLY, acid sprays and the like, and I would go to tournaments and destroy whole collections, laughing heartily as people called me a cruel monster... sorry, Hasbro, mabudon's a bit too demented to be of any real use to ya:)

JON9000
08-20-2003, 12:59 PM
I've had lucid nightmares and consciously tried to wake up from them. It seems as though my eyes are open and I can see my room, but I simply cannot wake myself up sometimes, in spite of how hard I strain. What's really weird is when I think I have woken up and I haven't- still in the dream. THAT IS TOO WEIRD. Try checking out somewebsites about dream interpretation- they are really interesting.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-20-2003, 11:11 PM
I've had lucid nightmares and consciously tried to wake up from them. It seems as though my eyes are open and I can see my room, but I simply cannot wake myself up sometimes, in spite of how hard I strain. What's really weird is when I think I have woken up and I haven't- still in the dream. THAT IS TOO WEIRD. Try checking out somewebsites about dream interpretation- they are really interesting.

Funny, I've experienced this phenomenon too. Except, I may not be dreaming, but I am aware that I am asleep, or in some weird state of both consiousness and sleep. I do try to will myself to wake up, and like you said, you strain yourself. It's a weird experience; an almost painful one. After a minute or two, I finally do awake into a normal state.

jeddah
08-21-2003, 05:10 AM
Hmm, I think the term "lucid nightmare" is a bit of a misnomer. The point of lucid dreaming is that you are in control in a conscious manner. Therefore if you are experienceing nightmares, it is your subconscious that is throwing that imagery and scenario up. Unless of course you re perversely consciously making those images appear :D :D

As far as dream interpretation literature goes, I would advise to steer well clear of them. In a very general way, I think they can be helpful but the thing to remember about ordinary dreams is that they are keyed to your own experiences, your own subconscious and your own issues. To then make a definitive summary of what dreams mean is of little worth. Kind of like comparing an astrological star chart that is based exactly on your own details with a tabloid horoscope.

jeddah

THE Slayer
08-21-2003, 09:46 PM
Jeddah I agree,stay away from dream interpretation lit, Dreams are of course, subjective.
I think that the point in which you take control of the nightmare it becomes a lucid dream...

On the reading of "characters"(Text) it is entirely possibly in a lucid dream. You control everything you see, so If I wish to read a headline that "Texas sinks in giant oilfield!" I will read, letter for letter, "Texas yadda yadda..."
You should definitely keep a dream journal if your interested in, and i hate this word, "tapping-in" to your natural cycles. Dreams are a great way to tap into the past and future. If you believe that sort of thing of course. :)

mabudonicus
08-22-2003, 09:45 AM
Well at least one person confirmed it forme, thanks slayer.... ever since that batman animated episode I have hada hard time getting any answers other than "no, THEY say it's not possible"... I have clearly recalled reading specific stuff (most of which didn't make much sense, or changed around a bit).....

Dream interpretation.... bets way to do that is to ask yourself what you think your dreams mean to you.... all that oft quoted "wisdom" like "babies in dreams symbolize death"is just silly, the brain is far to complex to write it off like that

THE Slayer
08-23-2003, 01:51 PM
In regards to dream interpretation I think that Homes, or what you consider to be your home, is a symbol of your self and internal conflicts, and most all dream anaylis will tell you the same thing. Everything else is wide open to speculation and personal experience.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-23-2003, 03:35 PM
I think I might have finally had one, but it was way too short. Two days ago, my mom kind of woke me up to tell me I'd have to get up in ten minutes, but then I fell back asleep. I had a dream I was in a classroom with people in it, as well as a computer. When I looked at the computer, there were words, then I looked away and back again, aha! The words changed. I realized it was a dream, then everything became more vivid. As soon as that happened, I woke up . . .

I had a lucid dream, but it was two seconds long :p