PDA

View Full Version : What moments in the saga give you chills?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-28-2003, 08:07 PM
When do you get a shiver up your spine, goosebumps, the feeling of "oh-man-that-is-just-too-cool!"? Not just in the OT, but in the PT as well.

*When the clones are marching to the Imperial March.
*When R2-D2 is safe after the battle of Yavin.
*When Han saves the day by shooting the TIEs in the trench.

There are more, I know, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. What about you?

Pendo
07-29-2003, 04:42 AM
Here's my list:

When the blast doors open to reveal Darth Maul
When Anakin says his "I killed them all" speach
When the Clones are marching to the Imperial March
When Vader takes down Obi-Wan :cry:
"I am your father"
Luke's "You've failed your highnes, I am a Jedi!" speech

PENDO!

BenQuad
07-29-2003, 08:47 AM
Well for me it's got to be Luke finding the bodies of Owen and Beru........
but coming in at a close second is the look on Dooku's face as he is just about to finish off Obi-Wan just before Anakin jumps back into the fight. Scary Guy. :eek:

Trip J
07-29-2003, 01:08 PM
Interesting...let's see:

-The entire scene where Han is carbon-frozen
-Vader's revelation that he's Luke's father
-The Falcon streaking in to save Luke's butt in the Death Star Trench
-Vader unmasked
-Luke in the cave on Dagobah
-The Jedi rescue on Geonosis
-The Obi-Maul duel
-Leia as Jabba's slave (okay, not chills down my spine so much... )

Kidhuman
07-29-2003, 01:29 PM
-The dagobah Cave scene where Luke sees his possible future
-Ben gives into the force.
-The "I am your father" scene
-Han and Leia right before he gets frozen
-When Darth Vader appears on Bespin
-Anakin killing the Tuskens
-When Palpy is talking at the celebration at the end of EP1, saying he will keep an eye on the boy.

Many others really, but cant think of them.

bobafrett
07-30-2003, 12:22 AM
Lets see, not in any particular order are

-When Yoda says to Luke "Yah, you will be, you will be"

-Anakin wasting the Tusken camp, and the music leading up to it, as he holds his mother, very spooky, though not "OT"

-Vader revealing to Luke that he is "his Father"

-Luke and the encounter in the tree

JediTricks
07-30-2003, 02:44 AM
Well for me it's got to be Luke finding the bodies of Owen and Beru........For me, it's when Luke first realizes they're in danger. Even Obi-Wan didn't see that coming. The end result is powerful too, but when Luke puts 2 and 2 together, he puts on an entirely different face and changes the whole feel of the film by adding an element of danger to innocents.

Another would be prior to that, the infamous Twin Suns shot, that scene is moving without even having to have anything actually happen.

The Falcon blasting its way back into the firefight over the Death Star, saving Luke's tail and allowing the next moment...

Obi-Wan taking a lightsaber in the face for the team.

Luke finally listens to Obi-Wan and the Force, tunes out the technology and takes his dead-on shot.

Luke's cave disaster with the dark spirit was chilling, especially when it's the face of our hero that's shown as the real enemy in that conflict.

Palpatine's joy in the defeat of his apprentice turns to almost gleeful rage as he realizes his prize isn't going to succumb to the dark side, so he lets loose a fury of Sith lighting.

Qui-Gon catching a saber in the gut... "Surprise! You've been defeated!"

My only Special Edition moment: the new version of the Falcon lifting off from Mos Eisley. That floors me every time.

I wish I had more, most of the chillers for me were in ANH, very few other moments in the saga have had impact like that.

Pendo
07-30-2003, 06:50 AM
From reading through all these posts I've realised how many give me chills that I've actually missed off my list :rolleyes:. I'd have to agree with everything everyone has said in this thread :).

PENDO!

BenQuad
07-30-2003, 08:08 AM
I should also add - the look on Leia's face when she discovers Vader is her father.

For me, it's when Luke first realizes they're in danger. Even Obi-Wan didn't see that coming.

JT, maybe he did sense it - but thought that Luke had to make the painful discovery. How else was he going to get Luke to follow him on his 'quest' otherwise?
It could be another instance of him manipulating a situation from his own 'certain point of view'.

Darth Jax
07-30-2003, 08:45 PM
the only moment that actually gave me chills and made me shiver is the ending of AOTC, when the clones are shown with the imperial march. this scene will lose all sense of foreboding once ep 3 is released and people watch them in sequential order. only by having seen 4-6 do you understand the significance of the music playing. and the republic army clones will be replaced in similar shots by stormtroopers.

the movies are full of oooh and aaaah moments. vaders appearance on the blockade runner, palpy getting the shaft in ROTJ, han & leia & 'i know' in ESB, dropping out of hyperspace into an asteroid field on the run to alderaan, palpatine getting elected chancellor in TPM and qui-gonn's funeral pyre all come to mind.

Teeska Mon Eebon
07-31-2003, 01:33 PM
Ya know the little thing before the SE with duel of fates playing and all the different scenes.... It's my favorite thing in the world and most awing and chilling thing I've seen

Darth Sidious
07-31-2003, 02:16 PM
Lots. Here.

-When Darth Maul outstretches his hand and uses the force to throw that piece of junk across the room (Dead battle droid?). That whole pose is just so unbelievably awesome; that is why I love the new Theed Darth Maul so much.

-Clones marching to the Battle Droid theme on Kamino when Obi and Lama Su watch, the music really adds to the effect there.

-The Emperor's theme, and any time it is used. Maul, Anakin, Palpy, etc.. The theme is just so evil and Sith-like. I love it.

-"This party's over" and watching all of those Jedi activate their sabers. Also, the heroic arrival of the Gunships in a seemingly hopeless situation.

-Seeing the yellow scrolling words/title at the beginning of each prequel the first time I see it in theaters.

-Seismic. Freaking. Charges. Those were the most awesome weapons I have EVER seen. They explode, then dead silence, then...BAAAM!!

-Dooku's smiling, laughing face when he says "Surely you can do better!" Obi is using every ounce of energy he has and the old guy isn't even trying!

-Luke's anger at finding the corpses of his aunt and uncle.

-Luke's first time with a lightsaber.

-One scene: "Where are those transmissions you intercepted? WHAT have you done with those plans?"

-The medal ceremony at the end of ANH.

-The first time you see AT-ATs through the macrobinoculars. So intimidating! The faint rumble of impending doom is great.

-TIE bombing run at the asteroid.

-Any scene in Bespin.

-Luke catching his greensaber and kicking a lot of *** on the skiffs.

-Seeing what Ewoks are really capable of.

-The rest of RotJ-from when Luke boards the AT-AT to Vader's death. You can really feel the conflict within Vader, the duels and force lightning rule, and the space battle is the best one yet in my opinion.

-Jedi ghosts.

TheDarthVader
08-01-2003, 08:49 PM
The moment Vader bends down to pick the Emperor up and throws him down the reactor core.
When Yoda lifts the X-Wing up from the water.
When Cleigg tells Anakin "face it son. Your mother is dead."
When Maul stabs Qui-Gon through the stomach and Kenobi yells Noooo!
When Anakin tells Luke, "Now go my son. Leave me."
When the Death Star destroys Alderran.
When Vader chokes and kills Ozzel and we see it through the holo-screne.
When Qui-Gon tells Anakin he is free but his mother is not.

Exhaust Port
08-01-2003, 09:48 PM
Just about anytime Darth Vader's theme is playing.

gtrain29
08-03-2003, 08:40 AM
I think the twin suns setting in ANH is just about my favorite scene. The music there captures everything luke must be feeling about longing for adventure and that there must be something more to his life. It is like the beginning of his quest.

I felt that this seen was matched by Vader's funeral pyre (I didn't see anyone list this scene). Just as the sunset was the beginning, this is the end of luke's quest to save his father. Even the music almost seems to match that of the sunset. I just get chills seeing the look on Luke's face and wondering what he must be thinking at that moment.

Master Plo- Koon
08-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Almost all the ones people listed in the topic I agree with, along with some other ones that people did not list.

Some of my personal favorites are:

When Vader comes down the shuttle ramp in ROTJ and the smoke flies up and you hear him breathing.

The emperors arrival, and his evil laugh in the hanger bay.

When Vader turns on his master and lifts up the emperor, it still gives me shivers.

And as I stated, there are many more that you guys have allready listed and so many to keep listing.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-04-2003, 01:58 PM
How could I, or anyone else, have forgotten the greatest one!

The jump to LIGHTSPEED!

TheDarthVader
08-05-2003, 10:50 PM
Lightspeed does not give me goose bumps. But thats cool. I would like to admit that (the whole end scene with Vader) especially when the helmet is removed and Vader stoops to pick up the Emperor...makes me cry! There, I said it. It just moves me because sometimes it is hard for me to imagine a father having such a relationship with his son that he'd die for him. Anyways...............

Master Plo- Koon
08-06-2003, 12:17 AM
I agree it is a very moving scene. I also really like the final duel between the two of them. It may not be the most fantastic lightsaber fight, but its quite dramatic, and very powerful in my opinion. Father Vs Son, Son feels the dark side, turns from the path that originally corrupted his father before him. Son is willing to die for that, but father is willing to redeem himself and sacrifice himself for his son. Ok so you all know that, but I just felt like typing it out to prove my point on how important that whole part of the ROTJ is.

Imperial Monarche
08-11-2003, 12:09 AM
Oh my, there's more chills I get still watching these movies than any other movie out there.

TPM-

1. When i saw the yellow text at the beginning (even the Lucasfilm logo gave me chills) since that was the first new star wars i had seen in the theater.

2. Qui-Gon trys to melt the blast door.

3. The invasion.

4. When Anakin wins the pod race.

5. The first duel between Qui-Gon and Maul in the desert.

6. First appearance of the Jedi Council

7. When the doors open and there is Darth Maul (still hits me everytime)

8. The whole lightsaber battle

9. When Anakin destroys the Federation Control ship and the Jedi theme is played as he flies out.

10. The end ceremony.

AOTC-

1. When Obi-Wan jumps out the window to grab the assassin droid.

2. Anakin and Padme's first kiss (sure, I'm a romantic)

3. The first scene of clones marching to the battle droid theme.

4. First appearance of Jango Fett and the mental showdown between him and Obi-Wan (very cool in dialogue and suspense)

5. Jango and Obi-Wan's battle in the rain.

6. Jedi's save the day in Geonosis.

7. Anakin is electricuted by Dooku (OH MY!!! is what I thought)

8. Anakin fights Dooku with two sabers and the battle is fought mostly in the dark.

9. Anakin loses his arm.

10. The secret meeting between Dooku and Sideous, with the Emperors theme playing

11. The clones marching to the Imperial march (who couldn't like that)

I'll have the classic trilogy later. I'm tired right now.

Imperial Monarche
08-11-2003, 08:53 AM
Good, nobody posted since I did. I'll finish my list now.

ANH-

1. The blockade runner screaming across the scene being chased by the gigantic Star Destroyer.

2. Luke looking out at the suns as they set.

3. The reappearance of Obi-Wan, removing his hood.

4. The Falcon taking off in the special edition.

5. Han and Luke storm the detention bay and the firefight they have.

6. Obi-Wan disabling the tractor beam (makes my palms sweat)

7. The swing across the chasm.

8. The TIE battle with the Falcon (mostly because of the music)

9. The X-Wing's in attack formation heading for the Death Star.

10. Han saving the day.

11. This is the second biggest chill I from these movies...THE DEATH STAR EXPLODING.

ESB-

1. The first time the Imperial March is played.

2. The first shot of the AT-AT's through the electrobinoculars.

3. Luke taking down a walker by himself.

4. Han plays chicken with two star destroyers, one chasing him, then ducks out causing them to almost collide.

5. The reappearance of Yoda.

6. The bounty hunters...need i say more about that...expecially Bossk's taunt to Piett.

7. The Falcon charging the Avenger.

8. Han and Leia first kiss.

9. Yoda raising the X-Wing. Really showed his power.

10. Lando's betrayal and the carbon freezing scene itself.

11. The entire lightsaber battle between Luke and Vader. (when the lights come up and you hear Vader's breathing...oh i'm shivering right now.)

12. Luke's rescue.

13. The Falcon goes into hyperspace and escapes.

ROTJ-
1. The smoke clearing on the Tyderium and Vader coming down the ramp.

2. Luke not backing down to Jabba and pretty much runs Jabba in his own house.

3. The rancor fight.

4. The skiff battle.

5. The first scene of the Emperor.

6. Yoda's death.

7. Luke confronting the Emperor.

8. "It's a trap!" then they fly into a swarm of TIE fighters.

9. The final battle between Luke and Vader.

10. Luke finally subsides to his anger and defeats his father, cutting his hand off and the music is no doubt the best in the saga.

11. Luke realizes his mistake and faces the Emperor himself, only to be bombarded with a barrage of lighting.

12. The Emperor is killed, the Death star blows up.

13. and this is what gives me the most chills out of all the moments in the star wars saga, the celebration on Endor, with the special edition music (it goes so well with the end and defeat of the empire), the three main characters of the saga, the one's who's story the saga really is (Yoda, Anakin and Obi-Wan) stand as three reunited friends in spirits and the final shot of the other characters and going to the credits. it almost brings a tear to my eyes.

TeeEye7
08-13-2003, 08:44 PM
For me, it will always be the instant the fanfare begins, and big yellow letters:

S T A R W A R S

appear on the screen.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-24-2003, 11:21 PM
In ESB when Han undergoes the carbon freezing, I still get captivated by the scene, no matter how many times I've seen it. It is an emotionally gripping scene, with superb acting, music, and dialogue.

The setting of the twin-suns where Luke gazes off into the seemingly limitless desert is another scene that captivates me. Mostly because of the music, but once you find out the story of Luke and how he yearns to leave his life as a farmer and take the next cruiser off the barren planet, you sorta identify with his situation.

Imperial Monarche
08-24-2003, 11:50 PM
Like I said before, the scene that gives me the most chills is one of the most important scenes in the entire saga and I shoulda mentioned this before, but I just thought of it there other day when I was watching ROTJ. The final scene, the Endor celebration, not only shows the main characters in the OT, but it brings together all the central characters in the entire sga, together for the first time- Anakin, Obi-Wan, Luke, Han, Yoda, and everybody else. Everyone of the heros that were heros at one point in the saga, are in the same scene. I think that is the most important and chill-inducing scenes of the whole saga.

Kidhuman
08-25-2003, 11:05 AM
I was watching AOTC the other night and got chills when Anakin and Padme were getting married. I guess it is just the prelude to all we know that happens.

The Overlord Returns
08-25-2003, 02:17 PM
Hmmm lets see.... I'll try for ones nobody has mentioned....

ANH:

Vader first appearing through the charred, smoking blast entry. Right away it sets the tone perfectly.

The greedo scene WHEN Han shot first.

Obi Wan(before leaving the group for good: "The force shall be with you...always."

ESB:

The eerie silence before the first rumbling of an ATAT's hoof.

Ozzel's halted speech before dying

The music playing as we see the x wing fully retrieved from the swamp

Yoda: "That is why you fail"

Han: "He didn't even ask me any questions"

Yoda: "No. There is another"

Vader: "I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Vader's reaction to the Millenium Falcon escaping. Completely unexpected.

ROTJ:

Lukes first appearance as the doors to Jabba's palace open

Fett going out like the lil' punk he really is

Yoda's death

Vader: "I must obey my Master"

Luke: "I am a Jedi....like my father before me."

Ackbar: "IT'S A TRAP!!!" Best Line in the entire saga ;)

Jaff
08-26-2003, 10:31 PM
Actually I am very moved with goosebumps when Han is being lowered into carbonite looking at leia.

As fare as getting the chills it's when Luke is facing the Emperor and they are conversing. No matter what you think of Jedi's story/acting/ewoks/or etc.... the scene with the confrontation has the best dialogue was the best written part than any of the other films in MO.

DarthChuckMc
08-26-2003, 11:32 PM
I know this is supposed to be "Classic Trilogy" but....

I agree with everything the bunch of you have mentioned...especially the Fanfare music before the movies start.

but....the one thing that gives me the CHILLS everytime I see it......

Yoda force pulling his lightsaber off of his belt and igniting it.

I waited 22 years to see that little green guy to fight, and it blows me away every time.

Picking an OT scene..for me...it's Palpy saying "So be it, JEDI!" ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzAPPPPP!!!