PDA

View Full Version : Wizard World Chicago

AdmiralPiett
07-29-2003, 01:26 AM
As many comic enthusiasts, sci-fi fans, artists, toy collectors, and Chicagoans know, Wizard World is approaching quickly and running August 8-10.

Among notable guests are Jim Lee (guest of Honor), as well as Kevin Smith, Joe Quesada, and several others.

In terms of Star Wars related events at the convention, there is a scheduled breakfast with Warwick Davis on Saturday August 9th from 7:30-9 a.m. at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare for members of the Official Star Wars Fanclub. The cost is $39.95 per person and each member may buy one additional guest ticket for a non-member guest. Included with the breakfast is a chance to get Mr. Davis' autograph and an exclusive Silver Boba Fett figure.

There are also going to be a lot of Star Wars actors at the convention. Now may be the time to take advantage of the great $1.99 Star Wars figure clearance sale at KB and get some of the figs like Kit Fisto, Saesee Tiin, Zam Wessel, Young Boba, etc. autographed by the actors who played them. That way we could get some cool autographed figs and clear up some of the clogged inventory at the stores to make way for new stuff. If only I could find an Aayla Secura figure before the convention to get Amy Allen to sign, that'd be sweet.

For a complete list of the who's going to be there, check out this link:
http://www.wizarduniverse.com/conventions/chicago_2003/guests.cfm

I won't be attending the Warwick Davis breakfast since I'm not a fanclub member, nor is my friend that I'll be going with. And I refuse to join the fanclub, for this breakfast or any other reason, just out of general principal. Plus I'm sure I could get just as delicious a breakfast at Denny's for 1/4 the price and still have enough to buy the Silver Boba Fett fig. I'm looking forward to attending the convention for all 3 days though and I hope to see some of you there.
Piett

2-1B
07-29-2003, 01:59 AM
I'll be there and I know I'll be spending way more than I did last year. :D
I'm working hard to get on a budget for this show but I've been stoked since last July (last year was my first time) so it's going to be hard to contain myself.

We're only going for one day, our money won't stretch for more than a day. :crazed:

Have fun everyone !

AdmiralPiett
07-29-2003, 09:48 PM
I'm excited too, this is my first trip back to Chicago Comic Con since 1995. That's before it was even called Wizard World.
Caesar, if you wanna make your money go as far as possible, go on the 3rd day. By that time all the merchants are looking to unload as much as of their merchandise as possible so they don't have to drag it back to their regular place of business. If you're someone who doesn't mind haggling you can find some real bargains!
Piett

[DSS]Pedr0
07-29-2003, 11:11 PM
I will be there all 3 days, I cant wait to go!!!

2-1B
07-30-2003, 02:38 AM
Hey Piett, I know what you mean - last year we went on Sunday and I cut a few deals on some card sets I wanted . . . this year we are going on Saturday just out of convenience.

I'd love to go for all 3 days but I'm not into comics so I wouldn't care for all of the presentations. Basically one full day of 8 hours of checking out the dealers, guests w/ overpriced autographs, and anything else of interest, that one day is enough.

I will say though that I found myself buying a few comics last year just to get them signed. If it looked cool or had a cool story behind it, I didn't mind dropping a few bucks to get a signed book.
I like "discovering" cool stuff like that.

Have fun DSSPedro !

:)

Sentinel18725
07-30-2003, 03:26 PM
I'll be there on Saturday also. I'm coming right from shift at the firehouse. If you see a guy in a Chicago Fire Department T-Shirt and blue pants....it's me! Say HI! :D

AdmiralPiett
07-30-2003, 05:31 PM
I'll be there on Saturday also. I'm coming right from shift at the firehouse. If you see a guy in a Chicago Fire Department T-Shirt and blue pants....it's me! Say HI! :D

I'll definitely say hey if I see you.
Always a pleasure to meet an SSG member!
Piett :)

bobafrett
08-04-2003, 12:47 AM
I will be there somewhere around the Piazo booth. Please stop by, as I will be either in my Stormtrooper armor or my Tusken robes. Ask for TK523 or "bobafrett" if you are in line for the silver Fett. It will be nice to meet face to face with another SSG member!

Master Plo- Koon
08-05-2003, 09:41 PM
Hopefully I will be able to go on Friday, because the rest of the weekend I'll be up in wisconsin. :(

Oh well. I might see you there. It will be the first convention I have gone to if I do go.:)

*Waits patiently to try and get his Silver Boba Fett*

Sentinel18725
08-09-2003, 11:45 PM
BobaFret...I think that I met you this AM while standing in line for my figures? Were you the confused individual wearing an imperial hat with your Tusken Robes?

Sentinel18725
08-09-2003, 11:56 PM
Well, this was my second trip to the Chicago event. I enjoyed this one much more than I did two years ago. Here is what I have to say.

First: Silver Fett....wasn't too bad to get ahold of, 1 hour wait first thing in the am. Had good company in line who was just as rabid of a hunter as I am. Enjoyed the conversation even though I just got off of a twenty four hour shift! Figures were in really good shape. Just a little skuff on the edge but that's all. The older gentlemen from Hasbro was great while he was passing out surveys. He took the time to answer and verify or demolish rumors! Great talking to you. If some of the things on the survey come out, I'll be loving life :D !

They could have done some things better, but not bad. It would have been nice to wrap around inside the cases so you have something to look at while you are in line.

Second: Keldor....I'm not much of a HeMan fan, but I had to put in to get this. And I did! I was so excited! Even though I had to pay for it, so it wasn't like I really won something. I was the second to last number! I almost didn't even go up to check but I am sure glad that I did. The box is a little scuffed on one side, but I'm sure I can live with that. Now, should I keep it or trade it off or sell it? I'm not sure.

I did manage to find alot of the chase Punisher cards that I was looking for. I am still missing some, so if anyone has anything out there, PM me! I also am looking for 1993 and later Punisher cards from Marvel sets.

And speaking of the Punisher....a little disappointing there. They threw out T-Shirts every two hours (didn't get one, but the guy that pushed me out of the way did....and I am a BIG guy!). They could have done more at the Punisher booth than handout post cards and pins and show a thirty second clip over and over.

View Askew.....spent way too much money! Exclusive figures, plus Tshirt (which was too funny to pass up on). It's a Clerks animation style Jay and Silent Bob, with their clothes being blown off, along with various props of theirs in the wind (bong, light saber, etc). Caption says "Jay and Silent Bob come to the Windy City" and Jay is saying "Blow Me"! Just loved it!

Devils Due.....guys were very friendly and were happy to talk to anyone!

I didn't catch much more than that and looking at the booths. No panels or anything but it was great!

Everyone was great! I'll be looking forward to next year too!

2-1B
08-10-2003, 12:18 AM
hey bobafrett, I forgot all about your Tusken gear but I think I walked right past you at one point? :confused:

There was a guy in a very cool Tusken costume and as I wlaked past "you" were taking pics with people so I let out a big "ORRRRR ORRR ORR ORRR" thing from ANH. :D

Did anybody go to the Kevin Smith Q&A ? We did and it was pretty cool. We stayed about an hour then headed out for some more action on the floor . . . in fact, I remember seeing that same Tusken Raider in the Q&A - did you go to that bobafrett ?

Anyway I blew a huge wad of cash at this thing . . . I spent WAY more than last year. Oh well, I was planning on this all year. :)

Lots of info for me to process yet . . . overload . . . I'll be back to talk about more details later.

bobafrett
08-10-2003, 08:16 AM
BobaFret...I think that I met you this AM while standing in line for my figures? Were you the confused individual wearing an imperial hat with your Tusken Robes?

Yes sir, that was me! It was to hard to talk and see and give the whole "Take your badge out, 2 silver Bobafetts will run you $21.80, 1 figure $10.90, we aren't guaranteeing mint cards, blah, blah, blah....." if I had my Tusken Mask on. My feet were killing me. I was doing volunteer work for Piazo. Once I got off my shift, I put my mask on, and headed over toward Ray Parks autograph area. I wanted to get other autographs, I just simply don't have the money. I did manage to secure the sith Lord Maul's signature on photo, 1 for my son, and 1 for me.

hey bobafrett, I forgot all about your Tusken gear but I think I walked right past you at one point?

There was a guy in a very cool Tusken costume and as I wlaked past "you" were taking pics with people so I let out a big "ORRRRR ORRR ORR ORRR" thing from ANH.

That might have been me! I had a lot of people stop me and ask for a picture. I have to go back today to put in my last 4 hours at the Piazo booth. I was supposed to run register yesterday, but they opened the convention center earlier than we thought, so I ended up on line duty, which I didn't mind.

There was a tall Tusken there in light colored robes, that wasn't me. I'm about 5' 09" and had a shorter Gaffi stick.

Master Plo- Koon
08-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Well I had a superb time at the convention on Friday. Unfortunately I went to wisconsin for the rest of the weekend and could only go the day I did attend.

The wait for the Silver Boba Fett took about and hour and ten minutes, and I forgot my Star Wars fan club card so thats why it did take that long.

Anyways I bought some stuff, Autograph plaques, etc. Plus some figures I was missing, such as Admiral Motti.. I also got the Masters of the Dark Side two pack, and it had both David Prowse's and Ray Park's signatures on it. However, these were all presigned before, and came with their certificate of authenticity.

I know that if you have the autographed addressed to either yourself or someone it decreases in value, but I am not going to sell the silver boba fett I got it signed and addressed to me by Jeremy Bulloch. I did the same with an old darth maul figure with Ray Park, and Chewbacca figure with peter. I might however, if Jeremy is back again next year, have him sign one of my extra Silver Fetts without the personalization on it.

I do have three or four extra Silver Boba Fetts in perfect condition, besides the one I had autographed though.

Anyways on a side note, I think I did run into quite a few of you from the forums on friday, just didnt notice you. Mainly because I was in a rush to try and make sure I got the silver fetts. I really enjoyed finally seeing all the new figures up close at the hasbro booth though.

Hopefully next year, I will have time to talk to you guys and meet you in person. :) For the first time Ive ever been to a comic convention, I must say its left a great lasting impression, and I'll definately come back again for all three days next year.

[DSS]Pedr0
08-11-2003, 12:27 AM
I know for sure i passed by BobaFrett, i was able to get Ray (DARTH FRICKEN MAUL) Park to sign both my MR Maul Saber and the plaque for it, so I have 2 :p, Overall it was a GREAT experience for being my first time to a Con.

bobafrett
08-12-2003, 02:37 AM
Well I had a superb time at the convention on Friday. Unfortunately I went to wisconsin for the rest of the weekend and could only go the day I did attend.

The wait for the Silver Boba Fett took about and hour and ten minutes, and I forgot my Star Wars fan club card so thats why it did take that long.

Anyways on a side note, I think I did run into quite a few of you from the forums on friday, just didnt notice you. Mainly because I was in a rush to try and make sure I got the silver fetts. I really enjoyed finally seeing all the new figures up close at the hasbro booth though.

What time did you pass through on Friday? In the Silver Bobafett line that is. I was at the start of the line in my Stormtrooper armor from the time they opened, until almost 2 that afternoon. If you got your Fett during those hours, than chances are you passed right by me as I barked out the limit of figures, the price and so on.

AdmiralPiett
08-12-2003, 12:44 PM
I saw you bobafrett, I just didn't know it was you. Upon entering the convention saturday morning I found a guy dressed as a stormtrooper and asked if he was bobafrett. He said yes. Either he was a confused individual, or else you switched from stormtrooper to tusken/imperial man sometime after our initial encounter.

By the way, did you guys enjoy the Q & A with Hasbro? I was the kid in the orange shirt sitting near the projector that asked about the Sandcrawler. I was surprised when the Hasbro rep confirmed that it definitely would be released this fall and added that it would probably be a Target exclusive. What did you guys think about that? Did anyone talk to him about the Sandcrawler after the Q & A session?
Piett

bobafrett
08-12-2003, 01:33 PM
I saw you bobafrett, I just didn't know it was you. Upon entering the convention saturday morning I found a guy dressed as a stormtrooper and asked if he was bobafrett. He said yes. Either he was a confused individual, or else you switched from stormtrooper to tusken/imperial man sometime after our initial encounter.

By the way, did you guys enjoy the Q & A with Hasbro? I was the kid in the orange shirt sitting near the projector that asked about the Sandcrawler. I was surprised when the Hasbro rep confirmed that it definitely would be released this fall and added that it would probably be a Target exclusive. What did you guys think about that? Did anyone talk to him about the Sandcrawler after the Q & A session?
Piett

Saturday I was definitly not in my Stormtrooper outfit. I wore my Tusken robes with Imperial hat that day. I was at the breakfast with Warwick Davis Saturday morning with my Tusken Mask on. Then I was on line duty at the Piazo booth, but it's to hard to speak loud enough for everyone to hear with the mask on.

As far as the Sandcrawler, I'm very excited about it. It's good to hear that it will be released. Now I just hope the Targets in my area will carry it.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-14-2003, 09:50 PM
Bobafrett, I think I met you too! I walked in with my girlfriend on Saturday morning, shortly after 10, and went to the Paizo booth. It appeared that there were only a few people in line, which I thought was strange. We stood behind these people and asked around who was in line. Then a guy in a Tusken Raider outfit with an Imperial hat on informed us that the line continued about five feet away, and it wrapped around the Hasbro display and was already capped. Felling like idiots for not noticing this, we went on our merry way. So it was good to meet you! I was wearing a black Trogdor shirt and my girlfriend had a corset on and some huge boots. You were doing a great job.:)

We came back at about 5 or so, after the Hasbro panel, and only had to wait about five or ten minutes to purchase some Boba Fetts. A very nice, very tired female Biker Scout was manning the line at this point. I'm SO glad we didn't get there early and stand in that line forever!

bobafrett
08-15-2003, 12:14 AM
Bobafrett, I think I met you too! I walked in with my girlfriend on Saturday morning, shortly after 10, and went to the Paizo booth. It appeared that there were only a few people in line, which I thought was strange. We stood behind these people and asked around who was in line. Then a guy in a Tusken Raider outfit with an Imperial hat on informed us that the line continued about five feet away, and it wrapped around the Hasbro display and was already capped. Felling like idiots for not noticing this, we went on our merry way. So it was good to meet you! I was wearing a black Trogdor shirt and my girlfriend had a corset on and some huge boots. You were doing a great job.:)

We came back at about 5 or so, after the Hasbro panel, and only had to wait about five or ten minutes to purchase some Boba Fetts. A very nice, very tired female Biker Scout was manning the line at this point. I'm SO glad we didn't get there early and stand in that line forever!

Yes, the female Biker scout was Aimee, and yes the Tusken with the imperial hat was indeed your fellow SSG poster, ME! Sunday was the day everyone should have got in line, at times we had nobody in line, abnd the longest the line got while I was on duty was just around the first corner. I don't think anyone in line Sunday was there longer than 10 minutes. Thank you for the compliment Obi-Dan Kenobi! I enjoyed serving my time there, plus it kept me from being out spending money at the various toy vendors!