View Full Version : Testors Dullcote
07-29-2003, 01:58 PM
How long should I let Testor enamel paints dry before applying dullcote? I've always seen the one comes after the other but never really at what time.
08-07-2003, 09:41 AM
Depends on the humidity, really, and the surface you've painted (primer will speed things up) and whether or not the paints are gloss....
At LEAST 24 hours, in any case (flat paints on primed surface)
if it's GLOSS paint you're sealing, let it dry til it feels more like glass or ceramic, if it's still tacky/sticky in the slightest you may have problems...
Also with dullcote, make sure you shake it up real good, otherwise you may end up with a glossy finish, it's happened to me more times than I can recall (if this happens, no worries, just try it again)
08-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Thanks a lot! Since posting this, I got good results letting a figure dry for about a week, but it was more due to a hectic schedule than anything, that I let him wait so long. Since I live in Florida and don't use primer, I think I can work with the scenario of waiting for a week.
Thanks also for the other pointers. I'm pretty new to this customizing thing, but I discovered quickly that acrylics were not going to be my choice for painting.
08-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Hey PLM, if ya wany ANY painting miniatures style tips at all, just ask or PM me, I am pretty good with customizing of all sorts (ya wouldn't know it from in here, I've got this weird phobia about altering SW figures)
I'm interested in why acrylics didn't work out for ya??
08-10-2003, 12:50 PM
If I completely mess up another custom, I just might drop you an email.
The acrylics were way too fragile, covered up too many details. I threw a figure together with spare parts, slapped some enamel paint on it, slapped some dullcote on the arms, legs and hair, and the end results of a terrible combination of Duros and Obi-Wan parts looked better than a custom Mara Jade Jedi with carefully selected parts and more carefully applied acrylic paints.
I have had some success with acrylics. I made an acceptable Duros Jedi with the rest of the parts, which themselves were left over from a simple headswap between Obi-Wans Coruscant and Naboo.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3 Copyright © 2016 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.