PDA

View Full Version : Suggest some Questions for Hasbro

JediTricks
07-31-2003, 07:04 PM
We're working on some Q&A for Hasbro for the upcoming Wizard World convention and we'd like to hear from you guys what's on your collective minds. We'll need all questions submitted in this thread by August 7th (next Thursday). I'll be helping SirSteve sift through the various questions submitted here and we'll try to get as many as possible answered. So if something has been on your mind concerning Hasbro Star Wars, post it here and we'll see what we can do.

One point of advice: questions about specific unmade characters or items are not likely to be met with anything but standard "maybe in the future" answers, so Yarna D'al Gargan-type questions probably won't get chosen. This is not to say that the questions aren't valid or the character has no merit, just that I'm fairly sure Hasbro won't be able to give us anything better than what we've already gotten.

JediTricks
07-31-2003, 07:06 PM
I'll start it off:
- Will the 2004 Deluxe figures like Jabba & the Wampa be going up in price from the current $10.99?

Dar' Argol
07-31-2003, 07:47 PM
I understand that distribution is a 2 way problem, both with you, Hasbro, and the retailers. What steps are you taking to better distribute you product?

As we have seen with many of the figures that just sit on the shelves, the pack ratio in some cases are terrible. Is there any way to rectify this so that there is a better mix of newer figures arriving to the retailers?

plo koon 200
07-31-2003, 08:32 PM
When will be the next Fan's choice?

Are there any plans for more future Screen Scenes?

Are there any plans for more TRU 4-packs?

About how many vehicles can we expect next year?

Will there be more waves of figures besides the five listed?

plo koon 200
07-31-2003, 09:06 PM
I would also suggest for them to please, please, please change the sucky Jedi Master Points auction.

TheDarthVader
07-31-2003, 09:12 PM
Will there be yet another card change for 2004? (i hope not)

What is the price point for the Jabba figure?

About how many figures that we have not seen or heard about are in the "works"?

When will Jedi points stop being printed on packaging?

Dr Zoltar
07-31-2003, 10:39 PM
Would you consider shipping more waves that contained one of each figure (like Wave 13)?

JediTricks
07-31-2003, 11:49 PM
I understand that distribution is a 2 way problem, both with you, Hasbro, and the retailers. What steps are you taking to better distribute you product?

As we have seen with many of the figures that just sit on the shelves, the pack ratio in some cases are terrible. Is there any way to rectify this so that there is a better mix of newer figures arriving to the retailers?I have both of those issues in an unrelated set of questions that were sent to Hasbro recently, hopefully we'll have answers to those before the con.

Will there be more waves of figures besides the five listed?Please clarify which line of figures do you mean, CW or 2004 Saga figs?

I would also suggest for them to please, please, please change the sucky Jedi Master Points auction.There's more details about the auctions than are currently well-known, so if this goes up (and clearly there are others who feel the same way on these forums) it'll be as a reserve question dependant on what new info Hasbro releases about the JMP auctions.

Anybody who feels similarly, in addition to questions please give simple, realistic alternatives for Hasbro to consider.

Thanks gang, keep those questions coming! :)

gsr-jedi
08-01-2003, 12:01 AM
What's the status of the Unleashed line, will the series continue? And any hints on future figures? Also, will older waves possibly be rereleased (specifically, Vader Redux and Leia wave)?

Make more Playskool sets (I know not a question). So maybe it should say Will more Playskool sets be released?

That's all I can think of for now.

jjreason
08-01-2003, 12:15 AM
Anybody who feels similarly, in addition to questions please give simple, realistic alternatives for Hasbro to consider.

Hey JT, I was hoping they'd consider running it like the old "Pepsi Stuff" points, where if you had a certain number you could trade them in for product. No bidding, no hassles - first come first serve, while supplies last. Whatever they want to have for swag is going to be more than much of us ever hoped for, but I think we'd all like the option of being rewarded with "free" 3.75 scale figures and/or accessories to go with them.

I wonder if maybe they could offer "buy X get 1 free" (the freebie coming from a list of certain figures they're having trouble moving, and would have to be redeemed by mail) certificates for a reward - it would help them clear out some of the buy-back stock. I'd gladly go 50 points a pc. for battle droids, Geonosians, Tuskens, etc, as Im sure some of the other army builder types would.

Personally, I'd like a crack at a Silver Vader because I've saved up a ton of points, and feel like they owe me a good prize. Even one carded differently wouldn't kill me (though it might kill though variant package hunters to have to get another one).

Clear stands were mentioned, a good option for a low level reward, good assortments of replacement accessories are always desirable, especially those damned Saga lightsaber hilts and blades. There's a lot they could do that would be met with warmly. Extra "Racer" T shirts featuring Sebulba ain't gonna make me happy (though the one I have does, oddly enough). :)

Tycho
08-01-2003, 02:24 AM
While some may think I disagree with Grand Admrial Thrawn's points he makes, I do no. I prefer a continuing dialogue style with Hasbro. To that end, Thrawn's rebuttal comments provide the most excellent follow-up questions. My preference would have been for Thrawn to have had Hasbro respond to his comments in the same posting as his latest FAQ.

These are my suggestions for turning his comments into questions for Hasbro:

1) When we are concerned with action figures being sold to kids versus collectors, can Hasbro talk action figure sales statistics only, and NOT discuss role-play lightsaber sales?

2) Can Hasbro color code their cases: meaning Collection 1 = red stripe and collection 2 = blue stripe and then give the stores' warehouses simple instructions like: 20 red boxes and 20 blue ones to each store. Stock at a 1:1 ration and adjust accordingly to sales?

3) What EXACTLY in dollar figures, would be lost by Hasbro moving production to Mexico, and what do they think are ALL the pros and cons of such a move?

4) How many EXACTLY of each SW figure must be sold to earn the profit margin Hasbro wants per figure that's tooled?

5) How much time must ALL of that profit be realized in or could it be adjustable to allow for shorter case packings and a longer, more staggered distribution run (like every-other-case for a figure to get out the number sold that is the target goal for that particular figure)?

These are my top 5 (with inspiration due to Thrawn).

I'd lke to know if people think the questions are clear enough and see value in their being answered.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-01-2003, 11:51 AM
I'd like to know why they still haven't got Yoda's feet right. In Empire Strikes Back, when he is rummaging through Luke's stuff, he clearly has three in the front and one in the back. FOUR, not THREE, not FIVE, but FOUR!

How's about a third dignitary, Sate Pestage? I know it's a figure question, but still . . .

I'm sure you could get some inspiration about questions from the last thread like this, the one that Tycho started. He posted all the questions he didn't get to, so that'd be a good place to start.

El Chuxter
08-01-2003, 12:15 PM
If the Clone Wars line does well, are more Expanded Universe figures possible in the future (perhaps in dedicated subsets, like Shadows of the Empire Series II or The New Jedi Order)?

If the experiment with re-releasing figures is a success, is there any possibility of seeing some of the rarer figures and accessories (eg, Sio Bibble, R2-D2 with Holo Leia, Holo Sidious, Qui-Gon Jinn w/ Eopie) on Saga cards or packaging?

(A suggestion, not a question) Please change the plastic you use in most of your figure lines from the flimsy rubber. Many of my Saga figures cannot stand up due to the cheapness of the material.

(And a non-Star Wars question) Are you financial morons? How can you possibly see the success of two of your 80s lines (GIJoe: A Real American Hero and Transformers Generation One) in comics, t-shirts, stickers, video games, etc, etc, etc, and justify putting out mediocre and/or less popular toys that use merely the names of the toys and collectibles people obviously want? The immense demand for Unicron and 20th Anniversary Prime (not to mention the millions Devils Due, Dreamwave, and Palisades are making from the licenses) should be a clue to you.
(Okay, maybe rephrase that one to make it nicer.)

droidekas2
08-01-2003, 12:30 PM
Posted by Tycho:

These are my suggestions for turning his comments into questions for Hasbro:

1) When we are concerned with action figures being sold to kids versus collectors, can Hasbro talk action figure sales statistics only, and NOT discuss role-play lightsaber sales?

2) Can Hasbro color code their cases: meaning Collection 1 = red stripe and collection 2 = blue stripe and then give the stores' warehouses simple instructions like: 20 red boxes and 20 blue ones to each store. Stock at a 1:1 ration and adjust accordingly to sales?

3) What EXACTLY in dollar figures, would be lost by Hasbro moving production to Mexico, and what do they think are ALL the pros and cons of such a move?

4) How many EXACTLY of each SW figure must be sold to earn the profit margin Hasbro wants per figure that's tooled?

5) How much time must ALL of that profit be realized in or could it be adjustable to allow for shorter case packings and a longer, more staggered distribution run (like every-other-case for a figure to get out the number sold that is the target goal for that particular figure)?

Typical Hasbro answers:

1). We will not change how we catagorize sales. It is to our advantage to be vague and boosts the sales of the figures if we include saber sales. Becuase it helps our party line of "its the kids who buy the toys" if we include the saber sales.

2). We will not be color coding the boxes. We are not responsible for distribution of our product at the retail level. We manufacture the product, thats all we do. We are not responsible for it getting to customers. We know that it sounds totally inane but there is nothing we can do. Its "so" out of our hands.

3). We "NEVER" comment on sales numbers. We would never think of moving production. How can you suggest such a thing. See #2 above. We manufacture product and are not concerned with it getting it to customers any quicker than it already does.

4). We do not comment on quantities of individual figures manufactured.

5). We do not comment on time, profit, cost, etc.

Hasbro's typical "canned" comments in response to questions.
Just like the "we cant comment on whether or not that figure is in production". We would rather keep you in the dark. Instead of saying, "We hear you. Yarna is such a bloody awesome figure and we are going to make her. And do a superb job. To make you all so happy. To reward you are loyal customers who support us and give us your money when Walmart doesnt even have faith in us to carry our entire line.
Blah, blah, blah.

I commend you Tycho for your efforts and am not making fun of you. I am making fun of Hasbro for how stupid they are. They cant even get the product they produce to the people who want to buy it, and there are lots of them. People sitting around with loads of cash waiting, waiting to just give it to Hasbro or a retailer who will sell it to them. This joke=distribution has been going on for years and they still dont have a clue.
Then you ask them questions and give them suggestions and they sit there giving there typical responses about why they can't , can't , can't do this or that.

Just the thoughts of a "typical frustrated Hasbro consumer".

plo koon 200
08-01-2003, 12:36 PM
Please clarify which line of figures do you mean, CW or 2004 Saga figs?
:)

Since, they said the are uncertain about releasing new CW figures in 2004 I was talking about Saga because they only mentioned five waves.

Also, I like your questions Tycho. And, I do agree with Thrawn. He makes excellent points.

dr_evazan22
08-01-2003, 02:57 PM
From the SDCC it was reported that we are getting the Sandcrawler, but it will be a retooled version, not the same vintage mold. When will we see more retooled vehicles that are correctly scaled? The retooled TIE cockpit is a step in the right direction.

Will Hasbro produce fewer E3 figures then AOTC, or limit some retailer orders? I know that Hasbro is in business to sell product, but what good does it do if Hasbro sells to TRU and then it sits on TRU's shelves for a year and a half (waiting to be recalled)?

JMP auction- can fan's use the older POP as well as JMP? Will anymore action figure posters be produced?

AdmiralPiett
08-01-2003, 03:16 PM
Just curious, is Hasbro hosting a formal Q&A session at Wizard World or is there going to be a booth there where questions can be asked?
If there is a formal Q&A session, which day will it be held and at what time (Central time please, I live in the Chicago suburbs)?
Piett

Jedi Teacher
08-01-2003, 06:46 PM
1) Why do you keep changing the card designs? We had the saga blue, then an alternate blue pattern for the 2003 saga (Secret ceremony Anakin, for instance) and now the new Clone Wars card. It seems like a waste of time and money on your part to keep changing this. I for one am more interested in quality figures than a new card design.

2) Is there any chance you can include pilots with most of the vehicles that you make? It wouldn't even need to be an "exclusive" like the Red R2 with the royal starship. Since you've re-released the Trade Federation tank--thow a generic battle droid in with it, same with the Republic Gunship.

3) What are your plans (if any) to continue the "Silver" line of figures? We've got Vader, R2 and Fett--are there any more planned?

Jargo
08-01-2003, 09:01 PM
Will the 2005 episode three figures be action featurised or will the current non action feature style prevail. Given that the action featurised figures in the fist episode two waves did not sell and are still clogging pegs worldwide would it not be better for profits to continue without the action features and sell more figures faster?

Are more army builder sets like the clonetrooper 3-pack planned for OT characters like Rebel fleet troopers and stormtroopers. this would please many collectors. While the current versions of these characters are articulated well they still have limited pose problems and pre-posed figures like the clonetrooper 3-packs add variety and visual interest to the armies we build.

Why is it so expensive to buy figures in the UK/Northern Europe. Obviously import taxes prevail but still the price is high. When other toy lines i the larger scales sell for not much more than Hasbro four inch figures many feel that the small figures are a lot of money for little product. Will there be pricing changes in the UK/ Northern Europe?

Can hasbro actually give a clear straight answer to any question posed that won't be refuted in the following days or retracted in the coming months? The information that came from Comic Con was confusing and it is still hard to know what exactly is the official word on the status of the sandcrawler and future waves of figures.

Hasbro sell globally so why are the exclusives all US based? We all pay good money for the products but the exclusives are just for the US and we in the rest of the world are left in the cold or pay double the price for an imported product. Is this not a little unjust and unfair?

*rephrase as needed*

dr_evazan22
08-02-2003, 12:54 AM
When will we get a well articulated Clone Trooper like the CT Stormie?

Kidhuman
08-02-2003, 01:05 AM
How do they expect to solve the distribution problems?

Can they pack there cases alot better to cut down on pegwarmers.

When is the next Fan Choice poll?

Why make the silver figures exclusive to conventions only, when alot of people can not make it to them? Why can they not sell them in stores?

InsaneJediGirl
08-02-2003, 10:01 PM
Why has Boba Fett Pit of Carkoon been changed form blue to green?

Any plans to re-release the POTF2 Bantha with Tusken Raider?

Any plans for more Saga Scenes in 2004?

Darth Ravenger
08-02-2003, 10:31 PM
My questions

1.Will we ever see the "Throne Room Duel" playset or the "Jabba Palace" playset hit the shelves? Will we see any playsets "period" for the remainder of the Starwars action figure line? What about ideas for a Dagobah set, a Cloud city set, a Ewok village set, or a Death Star set. This has been a big letdown ever since the POTF2 line started because playsets are what made the vintage line so great.

2.Any new info on whether we'll get a new Twin Pod Cloud Car and will we get any other re-release re-sculpts on vintage ships?

3.Will we ever get new original exclusive figures at Toysrus instead of the idea for re-releasing old sculpts with silver paint over and over?

4.Will we see any rare figures re-released such as Sio Bibble or Ree-yees?

5.Will the Saga scenes pack line continue with new themes and ideas?

Darth Ravenger
08-02-2003, 11:04 PM
One question that I didn't think of...

1.Is the Jabba the hutt figure that is coming out next year going to be the definative absolute Jabba that we've all been waiting for years for?
In other words is it gonna be a new grand resculpt from the Return of the Jedi version(please not the A New Hope special edition) that is accurate,has correctly done pose and comes with throne dais,pipe,bowl,new Salacious crumb, and accessories? I hope so since its been a long time coming.

dindae
08-03-2003, 02:36 AM
Would they be willing to set up a contact person we could an email to when we find a store with same 30 figures clogging up the ailses? I know I would be willing to report on the whole greater Nashville area if it would mean getting more new figures out. And if they didn't want the data they could probably find a contact person in the retail chains that would.

As a follow up to the expected response that kids still are the main target for the line, how about asking them how they think kids are getting the toys when many collectors like myself are going to their store daily and haven't found jack all year (this is not exactly true but what I did find the next day was gone). I know when I was a kid I was lucky to get to a toy store once a week. If I could convince my mom to buy something for me I had to pick from what was there. Going to another store was not an option. Maybe this is the reason lightsaber sales for kids are up, because it is the only thing they can find in the stores this year! (Whew I feel much better now.)

Droidlover
08-03-2003, 04:15 AM
They only thing I really wanna know, is a normal movie accurate R5D4 coming? I also wanna know about more astro droids, maybe the R6 or R7, or how about CZ, but mainly I just wanna see R5D4 and he tops most fans lists.

Jedi Idej
08-03-2003, 06:02 PM
1) What's the prospect of seeing the Star Tours figures outside of Disney, regardless of packaging?

2) Hasbro's formula for Action Fleet was a failure from the get-go: incompatible with mini-figs; lack of mini-figs; excessive re-hash of common ships (as opposed to mixing in some htf vehicles from Galoob's final releases); quirky projectiles; diminished detail on new ships. To what extent will these elements be considered when Hasbro assesses the line's future?

3) Kenner produced character figures in distinct costumes. In a short span, Hasbro's producing multiples of a character in essentially the same costume, differing only in the pose or facial expression, making for a lot of unsold merchandise. STOP THE MADNESS!

Battle Droid
08-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Edit: Nevermind.

Devo
08-03-2003, 07:40 PM
nice jab there Dindae. I can't believe they're boasting of good lightsaber sales with kids. Who gives a flying toss about toy lightsabers? Its the ongoing action figure line that matters. Toy lightsabers barely touch the periphery of the issue if at all. How much mileage can they possibly get out of bloody toy lightsabers anyway?!! They can't exactly reissue a Darth Vader lightsaber and call it 'Throne Room Duel'...then again maybe I'm giving them ideas. Do they really expect us to believe that because lightsaber sales are up means that kids should justifiably remain their target market? To hell with that.

SirSteve
08-03-2003, 09:06 PM
Just curious, is Hasbro hosting a formal Q&A session at Wizard World or is there going to be a booth there where questions can be asked?
If there is a formal Q&A session, which day will it be held and at what time (Central time please, I live in the Chicago suburbs)?
Piett

3:30 PM - 4:30 PM
PLAYING WITH HASBRO
Representatives from Hasbro's G.I. Joe, Star Wars and Transformers teams give you the rundown on what's coming up in their product lines in three 20-minute Q&A sessions.

genericclone99
08-04-2003, 08:24 AM
Do Hasbro plan on re-sculpting the Stormtrooper, or are they going to stick with the POTF2 Commtech sculpt forever? Sure it was good for its time, but come on! It cant even kneel properly without looking like it is doing a commando roll.

And are they ever going to release Stormtroopers on regular card ever again? We've had two in EIGHT YEARS. We've got more Tuskens than stormtroopers in eight years.

And will army builders ever be packed in greater quantity than, say, another luke or han? That would be logical, wouldn't it? I am sure kids could convince mum and dad to buy another clone, stomtrooper etc easier than another ummmm.....ZAM WESSELL

I just realised that if my stormies ever picked on one of my luke tatooine figs they would get their butts kicked.

AdmiralPiett
08-04-2003, 01:11 PM
Thanks Sir Steve, there is no way I'm missing this Saturday!
Piett

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-04-2003, 01:22 PM
Wow . . . just watched ESB last night . . . Sorry Hasbro, he DOES have five toes . . . I suppose it was an easy mistake to be made - Hasbro did it for 21 years . . . sorry, now I feel really stupid!

But I thought up a new question:
Last year, Hasbro said they would rerelease Jango Fett's Slave I with a new paintjob and call it Boba's. Will we ever really get this?

SWAFMAN
08-04-2003, 06:27 PM
How can dedicated collectors obtain the produced but unreleased wave 5/6 Star Wars Action Fleet vehicles?

Preferrably two of each. One to open and one to display in the box.

JediTricks
08-04-2003, 10:23 PM
How can dedicated collectors obtain the produced but unreleased wave 5/6 Star Wars Action Fleet vehicles?

Preferrably two of each. One to open and one to display in the box.
I'm trying to get them to 'fess up on that one Swaffy right now.

Keep the questions coming, they have to be chosen and sorted in a couple days.

RobertDD
08-05-2003, 08:46 AM
As a dedicated action fleet collector I would like to know the following:

Has wave 5 of the Star Wars Action Fleet vehicles (the Mon Calamari, the Jedi starfighter and the A-Wing) ever gone into production, and if so, how can we we obtain the vehicles.

Has wave 6 of the Star Wars Action Fleet vehicles (assumed to be the Homing Spider Droid, Zam's Speeder, and Anakin's Speeder) ever gone into production, and if so, how can we we obtain the vehicles.

Is there any chance of ever seeing Boles Roor's and Neva Kee's podracers produced in the action fleet line. These vehicles were all the way done when all of a sudden the action fleet line was cancelled. Without them a collection can hardly be called complete, yet the few in existance are unobtainable to collectors.

What would it take for Hasbro to produce unproduced action fleet items that currently have been developed all the way up to production? How many should be ordered by a retailer to make it into producion?

Current Hasbro practices have managed to kill of the line in a very rapid tempo. The problem seems to be threefold.
First: the first wave of a toyline seems to be always over-ordered by distributors and thus over-produced by Hasbro. Later waves are then not ordered by distributors. While many consumers would have bought these articles if they were made available to them, Hasbro concludes there is no interest and has to cancel the line (In New England I have not seen wave 3 or 4 on the shelves, and I have been looking a lot). A better practise might be to limit a production run based on retail sales (sales the retailers make to consumers) rather than based on distributor sales (sales Hasbro makes to retailers and distributors).
Second: waves consisting entirely of repaints seem to be sitting on the shelves, while waves consisting entirely of new vehicles seem to move very fast. It is therefore impossible for a retailer to predict how fast a wave of action fleet vehicles will move, making it difficult to order the right amount. A better practise would be to mix repaints and new vehicles in a wave. A wave of three ships could consist of one repaint and two new ships (like the announced wave 5). (The need to put out repaints of well-known ships to satisfy the occasional buyer goes unchalanged here)
Third: Playvalue of the line diminished tremendously with the removal of the figures. If repaints are nescessary to keep the kids happy then so are the minifigures. The cockpits need to be able to fit figures (be large enough) and the figures should be available, wether seperately in a battle pack or included with the vehicles themselves.
When Hasbro ressrects the line once more in 2005 will it please take a good look at the above mentioned three issues and adjust business strategy accordingly to avoid having to cancel the line again within the year due to low sales.

That's just about it.

seth_quinn
08-06-2003, 12:34 PM
can Canadian, or any other international collectors, expect to find anything substantial from the 3.75 line, within a reasonable amount of time after it's US release, on major retailer shelves prior to the EIII launch in 'o5? ...and if not, are they willing to make it easier for specialty shops to order product directly from them, exclusives included?

JediTricks
08-06-2003, 10:46 PM
Well, unless your question is a real barnburner - and I mean "eye-wateringly good/important/vital" ;) - then I've put together the list of questions and sent it off.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-08-2003, 06:31 PM
Thanks JT, when will we get the answers?

JediTricks
08-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Sunday probably.

JediTricks
08-08-2003, 11:38 PM
Well, looks like tonight after all.

Also, if you have MORE questions, shoot 'em and we'll try to get 'em answered.

JediTricks
08-09-2003, 02:24 AM
Story's up. Some questions got compacted together, some didn't get asked, some didn't get answered. But if you send more questions, we'll try to get them answered as best we can.

Here's the Q&A: http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=793

Rogue II
08-09-2003, 06:44 AM
Will there be any more Accessory Sets or Cantina Sets?

Kidhuman
08-09-2003, 11:40 AM
Well thta was quite informative. I cant believe Wal-Mart screwed up like that with the recall. I was wondering why it looked like nothing ever happened with the older figures. I just hope they start getting the newer figures in soon. I hope they keep the action features off the figures and go back to the nuetral poses. Also I hope that stores dont jack up the prices on the deluxes for next year. I will usually stay away from some deluxes, but those two are ones thta I will buy. Overall it sounds like Hasbro knows they have some problems to get fixed and they are working on it. But what they say and what they do are two different things.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-09-2003, 12:01 PM
Thanks for that, JT!

But, Oh no . . . dear sweet God in Heaven above no . . . action features for Episode III!?!?!?!?!?!? When they used the example of Luke's hand, that's fine and all, I seriously hope they are talking about removable limbs and magnets in hands and not Jedi-power-kicking-dog-poo-licking features. These new figures for late 2003 are awesome, why don't they see that everyone hates the features!

gsr-jedi
08-09-2003, 09:41 PM
I just thought of a question. I don't know if it's been answered yet, but I haven't seen it anything about it. Will the 12" Plo Koon be released through some other sort eventually, since the Fan Club fell through? What about the rumor of future 12" Jedi Council members being sold through the Fan Club, what's the status on this?

Darth Ravenger
08-09-2003, 10:47 PM
My question pertains to the answers given today by the hasbro rep at the Wizard world conv. about the question about the possibility of OT playsets. My question is....

Is there a chance that collectors could see an adult collectors club from Hasbro in the future where unique items such as brand new sculpted old trilogy 'playsets'(or prequel),vehicles,weapons,beasts or figures could be sold and made available to the collector? The regular toy line is mostly geared towards kids then collectors but this idea would benefit collectors in a way that they could get unique items that you would not normally be able to get because of cost,expenses, and demand issues.
Other toy lines such as 'Masters of the Universe' and others are leaning towards this idea to help keep their adult collectors and customers fanbase happy. If that would not be possible then maybe in the future the "official fan club' could compose some ideas for these exact items to reach the collectors in the form of exclusives or limited edition products such as the idea used by "Gentle giants mini busts' and the infamous limited 'Jorg sacul' figure from Celebration 2. I would definately be interested if this would happen.

jeffonthego
08-10-2003, 12:51 AM

What's all this talk of shifting manufacturing to Mexico?

As a non-Chinese, Canadian living in Hong Kong, I can objectively say that Hasbro manufacturing in neighbouring Guangdong, China (an hour away) is not the problem.

Everything is made in China these days for sale and distribution all over the world. My Chinese girlfriend does export trading of every product under the sun to every continent in the world. Everything is transported by container ship. It is not a problem.

Blame Habro's planning, blame Wal-Mart and other big-box retailers distribution, etc, if you want, but give the Chinese a break!

;)

Tycho
08-10-2003, 01:09 PM
Thrawn had that suggestion or question amongst his others (moving to Mexico). Basically I think his point was that Hasbro says it's too costly to FLY their freight from the Orient, so when stuff doesn't hit shelves on time, sometimes shipping by boat takes longer than expected. Or that only so much fits on their ship, or so much is ready to ship (of a percentage of the entire run on an action figure).

So that means the boat might only have room for 4 cases with Lt. Faytooni and they have 40,000 more being prepped to go. But they send the 4 cases and I get my stuff early mornings so after I buy my toys, it appears there will be none left for you for at least a month.

So Lt. Faytooni "is out now," but you don't have him and feel miserable because you think Hasbro didn't care enough to ship stuff so you could find him. I wouldn't worry. In another month or so more people will find him. I just don't bother posting what I get, because I haunt stores in the mornings when I want to, and seem to make a lot of people mad at me or Hasbro when I find stuff and they haven't and "think they'll never get that figure." Well, Hasbro's production run (in order to justify them tooling a figure) is high enough that they HAVE to get more figures out. I'm no longer shopping for him, so some other early bird in the moring will buy the next box while you and me are both sleeping. Once everyone who bothers waking up to buy or scalp him has enough, he'll pegwarm I'm sure. (I can't wait for Elan and Obi-Wan with the bar parts!)

I sincerely doubt Hasbro would make that radical of a change to producing in Mexico, however, if they really cared they could study the costs of that, exploring the possibility, and telling us their findings.

That is assuming we are anybody they'd care to gather and share that information with. AnNother big assumption.

TheDarthVader
08-10-2003, 10:14 PM
gsr-jedi posted it, and it has just entered my mind. I know the convention for some is over but...could ANYONE please, please, please, please tell me the status of the 12" plo koon. Will the fan club get it eventually? Is information not disclosed right now about him? Any answer will be greatly appreciated as long as it is accurate. Thanks!

JediTricks
08-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Sorry gang, no more answers on this trip. I'll keep the unanswered ones in a list though for later, when Hasbro is feeling like answering general questions.

Hasbro wouldn't move manufacturing to Mexico because of the lower quality of moldmaking produced there versus Asia.