PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo artist gets revenge

Exhaust Port
08-01-2003, 01:56 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/toplesscarwashdoc/tattooartist.html

For some reason I can't blame the guy for feeling violated in a way. Using your culture or heritage as pop culture does probably smart. It would be similar to Indian headdresses being used as a fashion statement. I would file this under "buyer beware." I do find it somewhat idiotic to have words written on your body that you yourself don't know how to read.

Through the 80's Japanese cartoonists did the same with English words. They used words they thought looked good and used them in their works. My personal favorite was found in an anime cartoon that depicted 2 characters walking past an ice cream parlor where the 2 flavors of the day were Blee Berry and Hot Pony . Mmmm..Hot Pony is my favorite.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-01-2003, 02:01 PM
lol that's flippin' hysterical!! I'm just glad my tattoo isn't anything along those lines where i don't know what it means. Rock on!! :D

El Chuxter
08-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Not sure which is better: the article or "blee berry." :D

scruffziller
08-01-2003, 02:15 PM
That is friggin' hilarious. I knew something like this would happen eventually.:D

QLD
08-01-2003, 03:10 PM
I think it's hilarious and they deserve what they get. I think it's ignorant to japanese language tatooed on you for no reason than that it looks cool. I used to see it all the time in college. It's not they are even interested in the culture, if they were, I would have no problem with it, as I am sure he wouldn't either.

icatch9
08-01-2003, 03:22 PM
I don't doubt this could happen, but this article seems to be a joke. I don't know for sure, but it's not as if they had sound references, or a major news agent backing them up. Sounds like something from the Onion.

Exhaust Port
08-01-2003, 04:15 PM
There have been a small rash of these incidents over the last few months that have made the news. I'm willing to believe that a good part of these stories are true.

Here is an ugly boy::)

http://weblog.delacour.net/archives/2003/05/tattoo_what.php

Exhaust Port
08-01-2003, 04:24 PM
A man who is a woman and a girl who is a chicken prostitute. Suckers.

http://www.warwickboar.co.uk/?article=643

Mandalorian Candidat
08-01-2003, 05:55 PM
This must be a joke. That website didn't use a byline or source for this "story." If it is true then both the tatooer and -ee are dopes. The tatooer for being dishonest and giving tatoos of asian characters after complaining that people want them, and the tatooees for not checking out the correct "spelling."

Exhaust Port
08-01-2003, 10:36 PM
Both sides of the story are idiots but it's a darn funny situation!

Kidhuman
08-01-2003, 11:38 PM
That is hilarious. I cant believe he would do that. I understand why he did it, but it was wrong. Insert General Tso's here.

LTBasker
08-02-2003, 12:18 AM
I think he's got a great idea, don't blame him for doin it. :D Yeah it can be humiliating to people, but really it's probably more humiliaring to their culture to see such meaningless usage..

mabudonicus
08-02-2003, 09:17 AM
I can read 2 of the Japanese alphabets... it makes sense that such a thing would happen..... I used to have a headband with the rising sun on it(long before I recognized the difference between all of the similar languages) which I would wear bandanna style.... I went into a local store and the old Korean man at the counter was laughing pretty hard... I asked him why, and he said that the symbols were some kind of chinese meaning the equivalent of "beware-Ninja" or something, on a Japanese-themed, American style headband...
So even if that particular story ain't CNN quality reporting ;) there's no doubt in my mind that this sort of thing happens fairly often....
Heck, I'd do it- sometimes if I'm painting a miniature for someone I'll add little jokes for myself on the thing, and I'm not even trying to protect my culture...
Besides, what could the charge be??

scruffziller
08-02-2003, 10:21 AM
I wonder if there are American tatoo artists living in oriental countries where they are giving the people tatoos of our words on them and doing the same thing.:sur:

Kidhuman
08-02-2003, 11:58 AM
Besides, what could the charge be??

Actually the people paid for a certain product and did nt recieve it. A court could make him pay back the money and mak him pay to have it fixed.

mabudonicus
08-02-2003, 12:10 PM
But it'd be so complex, you'd have to prove that it the guy knew the alphabet in question....
It's not like paying for something you never recieved... like, can you say that a tattoo is "bad" and demand it be made better?? The way I actually se things, working with miniatures, I would say that 90% of tattoo owners should be able to sue the "artist" like crazy, as lots of the ones I see are totally artless and ruin the symmetry of the wearer completely.... it could be argued that it is just symbols with no real meaning to the culture they are presented in.... if you asked for a falcon and you got a hawk, would the same rules apply??
I'm not smarting off (THIS time, anyways), it's just that art and stuff is a pretty hazy legal area, especially when you mix in transliteration from a language as different as Japanese... besides, most north americans would not even know, only the ones whose culture is being co-opted would laugh:)
I think it's a clear-cut case of Caveat Emptor

Kidhuman
08-02-2003, 12:12 PM
But from the quotes in the article it sounds like he knew what he was doing. He pretty much hung himself Mabs.

bobafrett
08-03-2003, 02:47 AM
Either way, I think I'll just stick with having pictures of Star Wars characters tattooed on my skin. I'm afraid a tattoo artist might put "cry baby" in Aurebesh.

scruffziller
08-04-2003, 07:05 PM
Either way, I think I'll just stick with having pictures of Star Wars characters tattooed on my skin. I'm afraid a tattoo artist might put "cry baby" in Aurebesh.

I think I'll just stick to Klingon text on my skin.

JediTricks
08-04-2003, 09:47 PM
I dunno, this sounds a little like pure weapons-grade bolognium to me.

mabudonicus
08-05-2003, 09:26 AM
Yeessssss, of courrrrrsssseeee........
Ah, whether or not the linked story was real (likely the latter, no doubt) it's still a funny possibility.... I believe it's pretty much urban legend, as I've heard "friend of a friend" versions of this one a few times

Jargo
08-05-2003, 09:51 AM
I can believe it. I'd be tempted to do it all the time if I were a tattoo artist. Some of the idiots who come into those places without knowing diddly about the history and culture of tattooing and body art deserve to be lampooned. If i were going to have something tattooed on me I'd know all i could about the subject matter and know exactly what was going to be indelibly printed into my flesh. I'd know what it was suposed to look like and take the art in there myself for the tattooist to copy. I wouldn't simply wander in and demand some 'cool' fashionable epiphet. Tattoos are not for the unimaginative sheep who seem to sport them these days. A Tattoo is sonmething you think long and hard about maybe taking half your life to formulate an idea of what you want. You research the tattooists to find one with the best reputation and artistry. Tattooing isn't just a convenience kick like a KFC bucket or 'punk' hairstyle. People don't have respect for the traditions of tattoo art. Looking at some of the hamfisted smudges on people this summer I think to myself that they probably pain high for a crap bruise looking tattoo and deserve the fact that it's crap because it was probably a spur of the moment impulse. Now they're scarred for life with something done in haste with no thought other than wanting to look 'cool' HAHAHAHA!
Incidentaly i've been thinking for 18 years about what I want tattooed onto my body. I take it very very seriously.

stillakid
08-05-2003, 12:27 PM
I don't doubt this could happen, but this article seems to be a joke. I don't know for sure, but it's not as if they had sound references, or a major news agent backing them up. Sounds like something from the Onion.

It does sound like that...but if it isn't, I hope that they sue him til he's bleeding from every orifice. Regardless of how "ignorant" those people are (tatoos of any kind are ridiculous in my own opinion), the fact remains that they paid for one thing and got something entirely different, which not only will be expensive and painful to remove or alter, but also is causing emotional distress as well.

An eye for an eye I say. He should first be relieved of as much money from his account as possible and then tatooed with Japanese and English symbols which describe him as a lying ratfink cheat.

bobafrett
08-05-2003, 03:13 PM
EMPEROR JARGO~ I thought long and hard and for many years about what I wanted tattooed on my skin. Now I have to make a decision, do I want to have more tattoo's done, or be happy with the two I have. I'm proud of the tattoo's I have, as I have loved Star Wars since I first saw it in 1977. I have seen people walk in while I was getting tattooed, and look through the books to pick out some pre-made design. I brought a picture of what I wanted in, the artist did a drawing and I went back a couple weeks later to see what he had done, and made a few alterations, then discussed color, since I was having a Stormtrooper done, and white doesn't work well in a large amount.

bobafrett
08-05-2003, 05:14 PM
BTW, there is a show on right now on VH1 about tattoo's. Looks good, I'm going to watch.

Exhaust Port
08-05-2003, 10:37 PM
Any pictures of your Stormtrooper tattoo to share bobafrett?

Vortex
08-06-2003, 06:55 PM
Well I can think of a couple of asian resturants around here that don't have the best names after they've been "americanized". Sometimes thing just don't translate that well...I think even think EBS or RTJ got some name changes in other countries due to odd translations or grammar.

I'm not big on 'tatts, and a firm believer that if you don't understand something, don't do your homework or research on it, don't mess with it. I really don't feel bad for the saps who got hosed, if its true.

bobafrett
08-07-2003, 12:42 AM
Any pictures of your Stormtrooper tattoo to share bobafrett?

Sure, here is a picture of both my tattoo's. The Stormtrooper one was taken just a couple of days after, so it's still shiney. I have an updated picture, but it hasn't been scanned into my computer yet.

Exhaust Port
08-07-2003, 02:39 AM
Cool tattoos, but I still don't think i could go through with it.

For some reason the image of the Stormtrooper for your tattoo looks as if it was from ANH, is that where you got it from?

mabudonicus
08-07-2003, 09:52 AM
That "symbol" one rocks man!!

However, studying the script on it brings me some concern... I believe it reads "Dengar for Emperor";)

Hope no-one you know can read it, could be embarrasing!!
\m/ :D \m/

scruffziller
08-07-2003, 12:23 PM
Sure, here is a picture of both my tattoo's. The Stormtrooper one was taken just a couple of days after, so it's still shiney. I have an updated picture, but it hasn't been scanned into my computer yet.Yea those are killer tats dude.

Here is a cool R2 and Leia and one of Yoda.

bobafrett
08-08-2003, 01:01 AM
Cool tattoos, but I still don't think i could go through with it.

For some reason the image of the Stormtrooper for your tattoo looks as if it was from ANH, is that where you got it from?

No, it's from the ESB, when they put han in Carbonite. Like I mentioned, they can't do a full white armor tattoo, so I liked the way the lights glowed off the armor in the carbon freezing chamber.

That "symbol" one rocks man!!

However, studying the script on it brings me some concern... I believe it reads "Dengar for Emperor"

It's my Stormtrooper ID # in Aerabesh (sp?) TK523

Yea those are killer tats dude.

Here is a cool R2 and Leia and one of Yoda.

Now those are some cool tattoo's! I need to be set up with the person who did those! Are those on your arms, or a friends?

scruffziller
08-08-2003, 02:04 PM
No, it's from the ESB, when they put han in Carbonite. Like I mentioned, they can't do a full white armor tattoo, so I liked the way the lights glowed off the armor in the carbon freezing chamber.

It's my Stormtrooper ID # in Aerabesh (sp?) TK523

Now those are some cool tattoo's! I need to be set up with the person who did those! Are those on your arms, or a friends?
No I found those off a website that advertises different tatt shops. I originally had the link to the site but the link is questionable as far as tastewise (leading to other pics of tatts:D, if u catch the drift, children on the SirSteve site here). And they would edit out the post.