PDA

View Full Version : Darth Maul or Boba Fett

BountyHunter
11-23-2001, 10:17 AM
Do you think that Boba Fett is going to have more of a hype for episode II than Darth Maul did for Episode I? I think Boba Fett will have more of a hype, since we have already been introduced to this character, well actually Jango Fett will have more of a hype of course, but so will Boba. And the mystery to boba's past will be answered. What do you think?

derek
11-23-2001, 02:14 PM
hopefully i won't incur the moderator's wrath, but i don't think there will be any hype for boba fett in episode 2. he'll be a minor character. now maybe in episode 3, he'll get his comeuppens.

browndroid
11-23-2001, 08:44 PM
well im a big fan of fett so I hope so...........:D

Co Jo-Da
11-23-2001, 11:59 PM
Well, let's get this straight... Jango Fett (Boba's father) will be a major bad guy... We'll meet Boba and yes we may see him fight alittle but the spot light will be on his father. Boba will build off his father's name and make one for him-self...

JANGO RULES...:mad:

chewie
11-24-2001, 12:52 AM
Frankly, I prefer Jango be the center of attention. As an adult, Boba was an utter failure on the movie screen. He barely moved, and when he did finally get into some action, he was (killed?) knocked down into the sarlac pit by a blind man (Han). I only hope Jango is more competent. :)

JediTricks
11-24-2001, 06:05 AM
I'm afraid this thread had to be moved to the Ep 2 spoiler section.

Jargo
11-24-2001, 02:21 PM
Afraid? You will be... you will be.

Actually jango isn't a bad guy. he's just a regular guy doing a job that needs doing. he does it well and gets paid well. He needs an heir and hence the gift of Boba fett or maybe payment of Boba fett fo giving his genes to be used by the Kaminoans in their cloning process. All at the behest of Sydo dias/Darth Sidious/Supreme Chancellor Palpatine.

I'm looking forward to seeing how jango and Boba interact. If the storyboards are correct and boba fires the slave-1 guns at Obi then this makes him an evil little s.o.b. or merely a devoted 'son' protecting his 'father' from an evil jedi interloper. Depends which side you like your bread buttered really.....:crazed:

stillakid
11-24-2001, 04:16 PM
What's with the "young" characters idea? First there's little Greedo, then lil' Fett. The new trilogy is shaping up to be an expensive Saturday morning cartoon. Who do we get next, lil' Chewy?:frus:

The_Collector
11-24-2001, 04:42 PM
"li'l Chewie" would be about 180 in AOTC ;)

GNT
11-25-2001, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
What's with the "young" characters idea? First there's little Greedo, then lil' Fett. The new trilogy is shaping up to be an expensive Saturday morning cartoon. Who do we get next, lil' Chewy?:frus:

SSSSSHHHHHHH! you'll give Lucas Ideas ;)

Well it is the start of the 6 part saga so there has to be continuity from the start to the end.

stillakid
11-25-2001, 09:52 AM
Yeah, but we've got the main characters whom we're following. In the OT, those incidental characters popped up out of nowhere and had that mysterious notion about them. Their presence hinted at the galactic scale of the story. To now go back and give every one of them (lil' Greedo, lil' Fett, etc) extended screentime and a huge spotlight, cheapens their initial foray into the storyline.

Yes, it's important to maintain a thread of continuity throughout a saga, but that is usually done through the main characters and primary plot devices. However, as we've seen, GL cares little for continuity with the introduction of Midichlorians, so I doubt that giving us the childhood life of lil' Fett has anything to do with continuity in his mind. Just more fodder for his kids and maybe a spin-off cartoon series.

chewie
11-25-2001, 05:51 PM
I bet if anything, a young han and/or lando callrissian will be in ep3.

Wolfwood319
11-25-2001, 06:44 PM
I think the new trilogy would be awesome if it was just kid versions of the heroes in the OT. Kind of like X-Babies. Anyone here read comics? I don't know.

Haha:D

stillakid
11-25-2001, 08:08 PM
Remember what Cousin Oliver and Scrappy Doo did for those series?:sur:

Co Jo-Da
11-26-2001, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by chewie
As an adult, Boba was an utter failure on the movie screen. He barely moved, and when he did finally get into some action, he was (killed?) knocked down into the sarlac pit by a blind man (Han).:)

Hate to tell you but if you've read any of the EU books, Boba lives...

GNT
11-28-2001, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Co Jo-Da
Hate to tell you but if you've read any of the EU books, Boba lives...

Hate to tell you that,that is EU and not in any of the movies!

Co Jo-Da
11-28-2001, 10:28 AM
That's true, UE is very different from the films. I was just saying that RotJ wasn't the end Boba Fett...

stillakid
11-28-2001, 02:09 PM
That's true, UE is very different from the films. I was just saying that RotJ wasn't the end Boba Fett...

As far as most of the free world and quite a bit of the un-free world is concerned, it is.

By the way, as a non-EU follower, I am curious if any of that material ever even vaguely hinted at Midichlorians or a Qui Gonn Ginn type character?

Jedi Clint
11-28-2001, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
By the way, as a non-EU follower, I am curious if any of that material ever even vaguely hinted at Midichlorians or a Qui Gonn Ginn type character?

You might get more of a/better response to that question if you post it as a new topic to the comics and books forum:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/vbportal/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=30

Sith Worm
11-28-2001, 07:53 PM
Well back to the subject, Maul is my man on this one so sorry Janga, Boba who ever. Oh and boba is dead, some may have have a hard time grabing on to this, but if George didn't write it, it didn't happen...

stillakid
11-28-2001, 08:24 PM
In some cases, he did write it and it still didn't really happen.:cry:

Co Jo-Da
11-28-2001, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Sith Worm
Well back to the subject, Maul is my man on this one so sorry Janga, Boba who ever. Oh and boba is dead, some may have have a hard time grabing on to this, but if George didn't write it, it didn't happen...

Very true SITH WORM...I wish we could settle this on sreen...

New Special Edition of ATTACK OF THE CLONES bonus footage...

THE ALL NEW BOBA FETT VS. DARTH MAUL SCENE...

Of course this would have to happen on Kamino in a Cloning Chamber and MY MONEY IS ON BOBA!!!

chewie
11-28-2001, 09:58 PM
BTW, I did know about the EU stories, but I don't consider them the "Lucas" canon either.

I still don't know why Boba Fett was considered so cool. He never did anything other than have a decent costume and a semi-cool space ship. While that did make him one of the neater looking extra characters in the movies, he did just about nothing to prove his worthiness. All his action ocurred off-screen in EU stories.

Maul was definitely more of a bad ***. Got more screen time and actually killed a jedi to boot.

edit: You can't say a**? Man, now that is a very emperialistic swear filter. I've never seen that word ever be filtered before on a message board. :)

Note from Mod: You can't substitue similar characters to create a censored word either. Sorry.

2nd edit: lol. ok.

stillakid
11-28-2001, 10:34 PM
I think that Fett was considered extra cool precisely because of his costume. The production design of Star Wars went a long way in making this entire saga what it is. Imagine the same storyline but told with cheeseball early Star Trek sets and goofy antennae aliens. Not quite the same effect. If Fett had a different, not exactly as cool a costume, he never would have had the "following" that he did. It's all marketing, really. How intimidating would Vader have been without that imposing visage?

Jedi Clint
11-28-2001, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by BountyHunter
Do you think that Boba Fett is going to have more of a hype for episode II than Darth Maul did for Episode I? I think Boba Fett will have more of a hype, since we have already been introduced to this character, well actually Jango Fett will have more of a hype of course, but so will Boba. And the mystery to boba's past will be answered. What do you think?

It seems like we're beginning to stray, so let's try to keep it on topic. I know everyone would love to see:

SUNDAY! SUNDAY!! SUNDAY!!!

This Sunday at the Tipoca City's Grand Aqua-Arena

IS IT REALLY HIM, OR ONE OF HIS CLONES......
WATCH THAT ROCKET PACK..........
BOUNTY HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE...........
JANGO FETT!!!

VS

FRESH OUT OF THE HATCHERY........
IN ONE PEICE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 10 YEARS........
THE DARK CLAD AGENT OF EVIL........
DARTH MAUL!!!!

THESE GUYS DON'T CARE IF IT RAINS.....THEY'RE CRAZY!!!!! :crazed:

Tickets available at the door. No children or clones under 18 will be permitted without a parent, guardian.

IT'LL BLOW YOUR FLIPPERS OFF!!!

But seriously, we need to keep the discussion centered on the next SW film. ;) To answer the initial inquiry. I think Jango will be put on a higher pedestal by fans, due to his visage being similar to that of Boba in the OT. Boba this time around will probably be as popular as Anakin was in TPM.......more or less.

Wolfwood319
11-28-2001, 11:35 PM
I think another reason Fett is regarded as highly as he is, is because he was the first "new" star wars character after ANH came out. He had his cartoon in the .............., then he had the only SW fig that wasn't in the first movie. He was very muched "hyped" back in 79' and 80' with Banth Tracks talking about him as so forth.

Darth Maul came out as a one trick pony. Someone "menacing" that the Jedi can fight in E1. We won't see Maul again. Boba Fett will be in 4 of 5 Star Wars movies come this May, and he'll probably be in EIII as well.

Co Jo-Da
11-29-2001, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Darth Maul came out as a one trick pony.

Exactly right Wolfwood... Darth Maul couldn't pull off this first real assignment, yeah he killed Qui-Gonn and came close to getting Obi-Wan but who won the fight...

Boba was around for almost the entire Star Wars story and he was more than just a dayplayer... He was a major player and a feared Bounty Hunter, not an easy profession...

Rollo Tomassi
11-29-2001, 09:12 AM
Well, who died the more unglorious death?

Maul gets halved by Obi Wan after a brutal sword fight.

Fett gets hit in his jet pack "Three stooges" style by a blind smuggler, flies through the air screaming like a girly man, then gets eaten by a sarlacc who belches afterwords.

Yeah, Boba Fett was cooler alright.:rolleyes:

chewbacca71
11-29-2001, 10:43 AM
Totally agree with you Rollo.

All that Boba does is stand around and pose. Every now and the flirting with women in Jabba's palace, etc... you know, he was probably just a pimp.

I have never understood the fascination with Fett.

Maul would take Fett any day.

Co Jo-Da
11-29-2001, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by chewbacca71
Maul would take Fett any day.

I'll take that bet...Yeah we may not have really seen Boba in action to the best of his ablities but Vader had reason to fear Boba and didn't try to bully him, instead he made a point and that was it. Vader feared what Boba could do because of both what Anakin saw Jango and Boba do in the Arena Fight of AotC.

I'LL TAKE FIFTY BUCKS ON BOBA ANYDAY, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE...

chewbacca71
11-29-2001, 02:05 PM
Why would Vader be intimidated by Fett?? Vader just used him as a "thug". Nothing more nothing less. I seriously doubt Vader was afraid of Boba by what he saw in the arena. (Haven't seen it yet, so I don't know for sure, but Boba is a little kid in AOTC. How intimidating could he be?!)

:rolleyes:

Wolfwood319
11-29-2001, 02:57 PM
Maul was nothing more than a temporary bad guy. Lucas needed a bad guy in TPM that's all. The only reason Maul was so big was because he was pratically the only bad guy in TPM that did anything. Maul really didn't do anything either, just fight the jedi.

The reason you never saw Fett do anything was because at the time, special effects had only gotten so far, and they really couldn't do anything with Fett, other than have him stand around. If you look at all that Jango does in the trailers, I'm sure Lucas would have had Boba do this type of fighting in the OT if he could.

And by the way, Fett has had a lot more screen time then Maul.

Jedi Clint
11-29-2001, 03:01 PM
It appears that we are finished discussing AOTC in this topic.

JediTricks
11-29-2001, 09:39 PM
Here, let me try to steer it back... ;)

Personally, I don't think little kid Boba Fett will be much of a match for Maul, but Jango may get in a few swats at the sith lord if they battled. As for appeal, I have a feeling the Fett in ESB will not be honored with his Ep 2 personae (Jango is sorta his persona too), but the ROTJ one will be.

Of course, Maul only had one movie and few lines and he was just a pit-bull, so I don't think there's much to compare. Fett may not have done much, but he spoke and he discussed and he didn't just follow blindly. Maul's only line showing him to think for himself a little was cut from the film.

Sith Worm
11-30-2001, 05:56 PM
Look at it this way, Darth Maul's force strength lets say 7. Boba Fett's force strength lets say 0. so with this said all Maul would have to do is raise the 'ol right hand snap his fingers and poof good 'ol Boba would get force choked until he craps his pants and his eyes roll back in his head and then he slowly dies without getting off A single shot! Well lets here it hows 'ol Boba gonna get out of that one?...

stillakid
11-30-2001, 06:18 PM
Would they both submit to a Midichlorian breathalizer before the battle?

Wolfwood319
11-30-2001, 11:15 PM
Yes, I concur. Midichlorean counts to be taken before and after the match. Keep it a clean fight, no Force pushes, no mandalorian death bombs. 15 sec break between rounds. Keep all hits above the belt, 10 yard penalty for face masks, in the event of capture...

Sure, Maul may be blessed with the gift of midis, but there is one thing Maul will never have, and that's intelligence. Fett is one of the most intelligent bounty hunters in the galaxy. Maul could use the force, but I don't think Fett would ever get him that close. Fett would lure him into some desolate cavern, and set a trap for him. Force powers don't amount to much when you have the IQ of a jock strap. Let's face it, Maul wasn't the brightest crayon in the box. He just did what he was told like an obedient lap dog.

Discussing who would win in a fight between fictional characters, I feel like I'm 10 again...:crazed:

JediTricks
12-01-2001, 12:24 AM
The Force is not the only factor in a battle, I think Ep 2 will deal with that. Plus, Maul's dead and Jango and Boba are alive... even though we know they both die in the movies. ;)

GNT
12-01-2001, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Plus, Maul's dead and Jango and Boba are alive... even though we know they both die in the movies. ;)

I wish for once some bad guys live! All the Bad Guys in all the Star Wars films die... Darth Maul,Jango Fett,Zam Wesell,Boba Fett,Darth Vader,Emperor Palpatine,Jabba the Hutt!

For once I wished Lucas would let them live(Have to wait and see about Count Dooku though)!

chewie
12-01-2001, 05:33 PM
Watto the slave owner and Sebulba the dirty tricks racer are two "sorta" bad guys that seemed to have lived having gotten away with their lives. Although they aren't running around trying to actually kill anybody like the other bad guys.

Sith Worm
12-02-2001, 09:16 AM
Your right Sebulba wasn't trying to kill people, he was killing people! Did you miss the whole podrace, he killed like 10 guys. Agree with Wolf about feeling like i'm 10, but Bugs Bunny could take Boba any day!

Co Jo-Da
12-02-2001, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Sith Worm
Agree with Wolf about feeling like i'm 10, but Bugs Bunny could take Boba any day!

Who could agrue that thought...

chewie
12-02-2001, 06:21 PM
After reading starwars.com's profiles on the podracer pilots, it turns out the only one that died in the eintire race was Ratts Tyerell. The rest just ended up in the hospital. And Tyerell was the one who crashed in the cave, which wasn't a Sebulba thing.

Though this is more or less EU (sorta), since the other pilots' fates were not shown on screen other than their crashing. So for all intents and purposes, it does look like they croaked on the raceway.

stillakid
12-02-2001, 08:36 PM
According to Hasbro, it looks like most of them never existed in the first place.:cry:

Sith Worm
12-03-2001, 09:43 PM
Your telling me that the Ree Yees looking guy didn't die? Wow he's good...

Co Jo-Da
12-06-2001, 11:49 AM
What about IG-88...He was a cool looking Bounty Hunter and we didn't get to see him in action either but there is an Boba Fett vs IG-88 action figure set...

stillakid
12-06-2001, 12:48 PM
I have this awesome 3-D popup book that I found in the bookstore that is all about Boba Fett taking the frozen Solo to Jabba. On the way, the Slave I gets one of it's wings blown off my IG-88 who is trying to hijack the shipment. Fett manages to waste IG and continue on his way.

Wolfwood319
12-06-2001, 01:35 PM
Both the 2-pack of figs and the pop up book were parts of Shadows of the Empire. The pop up book is actually a very small portion of the Shadows comic from Dark Horse. In it Boba Fett is ambushed by the other 5 bounty hunters, all trying to get in on the Solo bounty. There is a cool space battle, a fight in a bar, and a cool swoop chase on Tatooine. One of the cooler EU elements that involves the bounty hunters IMO.

jedi master sal
12-06-2001, 01:53 PM
I think there's a chance we'll see young han. After all he is about 10-12 years older than luke/leia. Possibly apprenticing on the Falcon before Lando gets his grimy hands on her. I am not particularly fond of Lando as he rat's on a friend and doesn't give him the chance to escape. All he wanted to do was deal in Tibanna gas and live high on the ugnaught from the profits. Oh yeah, and call himself Baron Administrator. Sounds like a good name for a WWF wrestler to me.......

Warning: SARCASM Detected.

stillakid
12-06-2001, 02:20 PM
Please tell me that you're kidding about seeing a lil' Han. This saga is turning into Muppet babies or something for god's sake.

Maybe that could be the next Hasbro line: lil' star wars. I think I'll start that thread somewhere else, you know, just for fun.:happy:

Wolfwood319
12-06-2001, 02:24 PM
Amazing! 2 posts in a row without mentioning midichloreans! That's gotta be a new record for you, stillakid.

Yeah, kid-greedo was another thing I didn't like about TPM, but it's not in the final cut, so I'm not complaining. Your right about the series turning into muppet babies, that would truly be awful and alienate all the remaining fans.

GL himself said we won't see Han or Chewie in the prequels, but if GL said it....

stillakid
12-06-2001, 02:31 PM
M...mmmmmmm........mmmmiiiiiiiiii.........mmmmmmmm idddddddd

uh.

c...a...n...t.....s....t....o.....p......m.......u ......s.........t........n.......o.......t.......s .......a.........y.........i.......t...........

:crazed:

jedi master sal
12-06-2001, 02:43 PM
do you think we'll see baby luke/leia? in either EP2 or 3?
Hasbro will make a two ack out of it. Then to scale figs for the 12in line. Then another resculpt and so on and so on and so on and so on and so on.

Whew, sorry got caught in some kind of space time distortion.

Co Jo-Da
12-10-2001, 03:31 PM
Of course we'll see Luke and Liea...in Episode III, they'll be baby's, close to the end...if not the very end of the film...

stillakid
12-12-2001, 12:37 AM
Of course we'll see Luke and Liea...in Episode III, they'll be baby's, close to the end...if not the very end of the film...

What do you mean "of course." Having them be seen as babies would be as ridiculous as seeing an awful montage sequence of Anakin "becoming" Darth Vader. Part of the surprise of the OT is discovering that Luke has a sibling and then discovering who it is. Seeing them as babies gives it all away. Stupid. God help us from obvious over the top plot giveaways.

GNT
12-12-2001, 01:05 AM
What about IG-88...He was a cool looking Bounty Hunter and we didn't get to see him in action either but there is an Boba Fett vs IG-88 action figure set...

Butthats not from the movie that from that EU stuff...

Co Jo-Da
12-12-2001, 07:49 PM
Now IG-88 vs Boba Fett fighting on screen didn't happen but neither did Darth Mual and Boba Fett or Vader vs Mual... Just merely pointing out that it would be cool to see a free-for-all fight between all the goodguy's and badguy's. But the Arena Fight in AotC could come pretty close...:D

chewbacca71
12-12-2001, 08:00 PM
Good Point Co Ja-Da

kit fristo
12-17-2001, 07:35 PM
bobas a little **** in episode 2. mual took on 2 jedis and still kicked the **** out of them.
ok jango a different story but i think mual kicks the **** though boba.

correct me if iam wrong???????

the kit

chewbacca71
12-18-2001, 07:36 PM
Gotta love that 14 year old mouth. People will tend to you give you more thought the less "four letter words" you use. You will learn this one of these days.

Hang in there!!

kit fristo
12-19-2001, 04:53 PM
shut the !@#$ up u big !@#$%^ !@#$%^ bum chum

chewbacca71
12-19-2001, 06:56 PM
Just wait Kit, you will soon be booted by the moderators. No big deal to me, but you can definetly tell that you are a little kid who can say the "big" words.

Back to the topic anyway..... I still don't think Fett would stand a chance against Maul.