PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Master Points scalping?

aikman8_1999
08-02-2003, 12:35 AM
A lot of 3,040 Jedi Master Points is now on ebay auction.
My god, what has hasbro done. Not only are figures being scalped there but now, so are their proofs of purchase.

Why is it that anything 'star wars ', even vaporware like the 'promise of a point auction' causes a fervor amongst collectors to hoarde anything they can .

SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN!!!!!!!!!

Reality check people. Oh heck with it. I might as well join them.
I have some sand that may or may not have been in episode 1, I will start the bidding at $1000, a fair price for sand that (if was human would be a star), besides star wars fans will buy anything right.......

stad
08-02-2003, 02:13 AM
How much sand is there? Is it like the white sand, or more yellowish? Please send a pic of the sand. Thanks!

Kidhuman
08-02-2003, 10:45 AM
I actually made a joke to another forum member about this two weeks ago. Then another member posted that they were actually doing it on ebay. I was shocked and appauled that people are making moey off of anything, and even more that people bid on this.

Beast
08-02-2003, 11:12 AM
For one, it's not scalping. The person selling the points didn't deprive anyone else of the points. And apperantly they open their toys. So it's not like they are toy hoarding. Or taking Jedi Master Points away from those who wanted them. It's their own private collection of points, and if they know that there's probably nothing in the auctions they want, may as well make a few bucks on saving the points. More power to them. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stad
08-02-2003, 11:32 AM
Actually, I have to agree with JarJar on this. This is just choosing to part with something they personally own for money because it is of no use for them. It's no different then someone selling their old stuff at a garage or yard sale. Of course, I am a very strong believer in our capitalist system.

Sidiously Darth
08-02-2003, 01:09 PM
I'm with JarJar on this one. I sold off a bunch of points a few months ago. I needed the money and I didn't want to part with actual toys. I don't even remember how much I made but I do regret selling them now. Oh well! Guess I'll buy more figures when I find them. :rolleyes:

TheDarthVader
08-02-2003, 03:29 PM
It is his/her right to sell the points if he/she so desires. I have thought about selling what points I have to make a few extra bucks. I already have TF Vader, Jorg Sacul, silver R2-D2...so why even try to get in a bid war that I know I won't win with only 1600 points??? ;)

Turbowars
08-02-2003, 05:39 PM
I think it's pretty low of Hasbro to do this with e-bay. Why not a simple mail away. Make it a Fan Poll mail away. This is just a cheap way for Hasbro to get off the hook. I hope after all the auctions are over the points get taken off the cards, so we can forget about this BS. I'm a carded collector, so what good is it to me and I'm sure there's thousands like me that wont get anything for all the cash we spent. The only one I never got was Sacul. I guess it would be cheaper now to buy from e-bay. I hope all the collectors get something good with all their points. I can see these auctions going very high in points and some people still wont get anything. I just thnk it would have been a bit more fair to do a mail away, that way we could all get something.

InsaneJediGirl
08-02-2003, 09:47 PM
I dont think its scapling,I mean it isnt like baggies of Jedi Points are sitting on the shelf at WM.Let people do what they want with the points,if other collectors are willing to shell out big bucks for points we dont even know how to use yet,go right ahead;)

aikman8_1999
08-02-2003, 10:26 PM
I dont think its scapling,I mean it isnt like baggies of Jedi Points are sitting on the shelf at WM.Let people do what they want with the points,if other collectors are willing to shell out big bucks for points we dont even know how to use yet,go right ahead;)

My point wasnt to debate wether selling points is scalping.
It was to stand on my soapbox and say that I think its sad and pathetic that
A)people are now buying and selling proofs of purchase(!) online

B)people are trying to beat the system anyways they can and preparing to get as many 'chances' as they can for possible auction items that dont even exist yet

Its just hasbros excuse to get out of offering anything decent/physical to the collector. "here is a chance to get something".
Gee thanks, how bout giving us a 'chance' to buy this years figs...

TheDarthVader
08-02-2003, 11:57 PM

I share your frustration. I have found a total of five figures from three different stores. I wish I cold find new figures as well. :(

Next...If Hasbro would have offered a mail away type promotion I would not be selling my points. They could have given us a chance to get stands or something cool. But they did not do this and it sucks. :(

LTBasker
08-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Don't act so suprised, same thing happened during the Mace preview figure thing. It would always happen. IMO if you can buy 5 POP's for somethin like $3, it's better than something like $25 for 5 useless figs.

It's really not scalping, as it's even less than a mere accessory to the figure. If people really want to spend money on Jedi Points for a chance at the auctions then I don't really care. It's likely these things will go for at least 100+ figure's worth of points. That's $500 right there, if you're really that desperate they go for less than that.

True, alot of people bought figures without expecting to use the points, but alot of people now are also carded collectors soooo....

JangoFart
08-03-2003, 12:38 AM
For one, it's not scalping. The person selling the points didn't deprive anyone else of the points. And apperantly they open their toys. So it's not like they are toy hoarding. Or taking Jedi Master Points away from those who wanted them. It's their own private collection of points, and if they know that there's probably nothing in the auctions they want, may as well make a few bucks on saving the points. More power to them. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

What can one say to that except: "Ditto."

J

Imperialist_14
08-04-2003, 07:10 AM
I believe that it is Hasbro that has created this situation by their idiotic auctions idea, and we all have to live with the consequences of that decision.

If your solution is to sell or trade your JM Points, then all the more power to you. No I don't think it is scalping, but simply a natural reaction to Hasbro's decision!

I do believe that if these auctions turn out the way I expect them to, very few items for lots of collectors, then this decision will come back to haunt Hasbro!!!

SplFrcsCWO
08-04-2003, 11:10 AM
My point wasnt to debate wether selling points is scalping.
It was to stand on my soapbox and say that I think its sad and pathetic that
A)people are now buying and selling proofs of purchase(!) online

B)people are trying to beat the system anyways they can and preparing to get as many 'chances' as they can for possible auction items that dont even exist yet

Its just hasbros excuse to get out of offering anything decent/physical to the collector. "here is a chance to get something".

It's called life and nobody said it has to be fair. You'll realize this when you mature. As an adult, you can attempt to change policies/methods you disagree with and can live with the fact that you may not succeed at it. Whining and tantrums won't cut it.

jedi master sal
08-04-2003, 02:27 PM
I hope after all the auctions are over the points get taken off the cards, so we can forget about this BS. I'm a carded collector, so what good is it to me and I'm sure there's thousands like me that wont get anything for all the cash we spent.

turbowars, you did get something. Their called toys. Hasbro makes these with an intent for them to be opened and played with. It's only been in the last few years that the carded market has gotten big. I'm a majority opener, but colect some things MOC. It's your choice to open or not. Just as it's Hasbro's to run an auction for said points.

You got your toys, so be happy with them. So you don't get the chance to bid on a Sacul. Here's an idea, tear up your stuff and join us openers.

(I know, I know, I can just hear the quote right now..."I'll never join you")

All, I'm saying is you can't say you got nothing for your money. You got a great deal of stuff. So Hasbro has decided to "reward" those who actually put their toys to use, in the manner for which they designed them. No big.

I have a few thousand points myself but am going to pass on all of this. If Hasbro decides to do this again and once the dust clears from the heavy bidding, I'll still be sitting pretty on the points. But even if I never get anything for them, it doesn't matter. I got some wonderful action figures, ships, playsets, and vehicles along the way.