PDA

View Full Version : What would YOU have done with the Special Editions?

2-1B
08-18-2001, 06:09 PM
I'm curious to hear what some of you would have done if the classic trilogy was yours for the tweaking. I'm sure some of you would have done absolutely nothing, and that's cool. I'm not interested so much in what was done that you do or do not like, but what you yourself would have changed, if anything.

In light of the prequel trilogy, I would have changed the emperor in ESB. Ideally I would replace him with McDiarmid, if not physically then at least with an overdub. Since Palpatine is in all 3 of the prequels, a redone ESB sequence would enhance the continuation of ESB into ROTJ for me.

Thanks for your ideas!

james the hutt
08-18-2001, 07:08 PM
I would have definetly cleaned up the Rancor scene. That is the only thing from the regular SW movies that looked bad.

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 07:17 PM
Star Wars- digitally restore it as was done, and expand on all the space battle sequences. I'd also enhance and expand backgrounds without lengthening scenes. Aside from that nothing else.

The Empire Strikes Back- Digital restoration and cleanup the Hoth battle. The expansion of Cloud City was great as it was done by GL, so I'm all for that. The Shuttle addition didn't bother me either, in fact I thought it added a little more tension to the scene.

Return of the Jedi- Again digital restoration, the new Sarlacc was cool. Fix the GONKing Rancor scene!! I also really liked the new end sequence, it did a much better job of showing just what a major task had been accomplished.

Just my ideas.

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 07:24 PM
Fix the Rancor scene, fix the messed up lightsaber blades, removed the trash like "Jedi Rocks" and Luke's Cloud City scream... etc.

stillakid
08-18-2001, 11:59 PM
Get rid of screaming Luke. (ESB)

Reinstate Vader's original "Bring my shuttle" line. (ESB)

Lose the excess Vader traveling to his Star Destroyer footage. (ESB)

Lose the Greedo firing first thing.(SW)

Keep Falcon blasting off. (SW)

Keep Sandcrawler footage (SW)

Fix Rancor sequence. (ROTJ)

Replace Emperor. (ESB)

Enhance Hoth battle sequence to include ground troops overrunning the trenches. (ESB)

Enhance snowspeeder battle to not focus so much on Luke and his ineffective micromanagement. (ESB)

Replace Luke's lunging saber action with actual good moves before taking Vader down. (ROTJ)

Fix Jabba FX at M. Falcon so that he actually looks 3D. (SW)

Shot replacement: After R5 D4 blows his top, there is a cut away to R2 with R5 behind him. (SW)

Keep the enhanced Death Star battle. (SW)

Keep all the new music in Jabba's Palace and during the Ewok celebration. (ROTJ)

Keep planetary cutaways during Ewok Celebration. (ROTJ)

Keep enhanced Cloud City footage. (ESB)

Remove additional Biggs reunion footage as it has no context without any Tatooine scenes. (SW)

Give Chewy a medal! (SW)

Actually have Luke's lightsaber cutting people when he hits them during the Skiff battle. (ROTJ)

Fix some of the poor process shots during the Speederbike chase. (ROTJ)

2-1B
08-19-2001, 12:11 AM
I too would want to finish the Jabba scene in ANH. But only if a Jabba based on his RotJ look could be achieved.

bigbarada
08-19-2001, 12:30 AM
It'd be cool if they could totally enhance the Skiff battle, with the Skiffs actually moving around Jabba's barge instead of just sitting there. Plus, when Han and Chewie's Skiff gets hit it should buckle and spin around kind of like a boat in water. Maybe they could reshoot the sequence with look-alike actors and matte in the main characters' faces. If it's possible it would be cool!

JediTricks
08-19-2001, 08:37 AM
"Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival." What's wrong with this line? Yes, James Earl Jones sounds different 16 years later, but the guy did just kill his own kid (or so he thought) after a very taxing battle, so why not have the guy say this? I don't see the problem with this line or with Jerjerrod being on the SSD when Vader lands, I just don't see how this one hurts the film.

"Greedo Fires First" - in my mind, this never happened. ;) Seriously though, I had an overheat warning go off on my computer so I had to finish with "etc" and dash off. This WOULD have been my #1 if I had a chance to preview my post and notice it's absence. This scene should have never been.

"Keep Falcon blasting off" - think the new lift-off and faster ascent into space looks great, of all the things in the SEs I'd keep, the Falcon blasting out of Mos Eisley is my #1 keep.

ESB Emperor I'd probably change too, just for continuity's sake and because I could. Nothing against Clive Revill, he did a fine job, I just think the continuity should be there, especially because it wouldn't be too hard to get Ian McDiarmid to redo this shot right now.

"Keep all the new music in Jabba's Palace and during the Ewok celebration. (ROTJ)" - That's when I knew for sure that he was mentally ill, your honor. ;)

I'd keep the Biggs scene in the Rebel hangar, it makes Luke's journey all that more painful to watch a friend die before he thinks he is next. Plus, while it doesn't add much, it doesn't detract much either.

I'd remove all shots of Wicket screwing up during the big Endor battle.

I'd put back the B-wing assault on a Star Destroyer.

Eternal Padawan
08-19-2001, 10:30 AM
B-Wing Assault on a Star Destroyer? When did this happen? Man I have GOT to watch the non SE's again. It's been 5 years or more.

Anyway:

Replace Mos Eisley matte painting with more active CGI shot of ships taking off and landing.

Han shoots first. (Or at least get Greedo's shot to hit closer than 4 yds to Han's head...)

Better Alderaan Explosion. The first was just an M-80 in a confetti ball, but the new CGI fails to capture the awesome energy of a planet blowing apart. It needs more TIME to be effective. Maybe cut to the planet and show the idyllic paradise seconds before it happens, too.

More external shots of Falcon during it's escape from the Death Star.

Put in the legendary "Obi Wans dissappearance" CGI work. Lucas had like 20 different guys working on different versions of Obi Wan becoming one with the force, but didn't like any of them, so he left the boring old "cloak fluttering to the floor" scene in.

bigbarada
08-19-2001, 02:45 PM
An enhanced Alderaan explosion would be awesome. If anyone's ever read the Manga Star Wars books, the death of Alderaan lasted something like 4-5 pages from Death Star ray to Leia's reaction. Anyone who sees those panels will see they're a perfect storyboard for another CG addition.

2-1B
08-19-2001, 02:58 PM
JediTricks, I share your opinion on Clive Revill. While the whole "old lady with chimp eyes" thing is kinda different, I really like the Emperor's voice, especially when he says, ". . . great asset."

I just don't get the Greedo thing!
As a kid, I thought it was so cool and slick how Han pulled out his blaster in a delicate situation. Frankly, at that young age I got the whole notion of self defense and I never saw his move as anything more than that.

Still, even if Greedo must shoot first, Eternal Padawan is right about the shot needing to look better.

lynnferd
08-19-2001, 04:13 PM
In the book for Jedi when the rebels arrive ai the Death Star and Lando tells all the fighters to pull up because the shield is still up not all of the ships pull up in time. I would and some ships running into the Death Star's shields.

stillakid
08-19-2001, 06:10 PM
>>"Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival." What's wrong with this line? Yes, James Earl Jones sounds different 16 years later, but the guy did just kill his own kid (or so he thought) after a very taxing battle, so why not have the guy say this? I don't see the problem with this line or with Jerjerrod being on the SSD when Vader lands, I just don't see how this one hurts the film. <<

In the original version, Vader sounds absolutely ****ed. He has always been a man of few words and manages to get his point across very quickly in most instances. For example: "Apology excepted Captain Needa" and "Don't fail me again, Admiral" and his entire conversation with the Death Star commander at the beginning of ROTJ.

The new "enhanced" monologue in question is a block too long, unnecessary, and dilutes Vader's anger at the situation. It has nothing to do with the sound of JEJ's voice. In the same way, the entire travel-to-the-Star-Destroyer footage was clearly a gratuitous use of excess ROTJ footage. Silly, unnecessary, and is a detriment as it elongates a sequence which needs to keep a quick pace going to build suspense.

GL would never change the Emperor in ESB for continuity reasons as he obviously doesn't give a damn about continuity (see The Phantom Menace)

I think that the new ROTJ music at the end is more grandiose and befitting the end of the series than simply having Ewoks singing the local folk song. The Jabba sequence "rock" music also gives a better sense of "palace entertainment" that a guy like Jabba would, um, commission. I constantly hear people berate the new music but have yet to hear what is so wrong with it.

The Biggs sequence's biggest problem is the stiff acting. It seems very forced, much like the Jabba meets Han scene in docking bay 94. I'd buy the Biggs stuff more if he reinstated the Tatooine sequences also. Otherwise, I think that people got the point very well that Luke lost a friend in the original cut without having it shoved down their throats as in the SE.

- I don't know. I'm making this up as I go.

the master jedi
08-19-2001, 07:56 PM
The only thing I would change about the Special Edition is Greedo firing first.

Jargo
08-19-2001, 09:14 PM
I'd like to see more of the rebel troops looking like they are going into battle in ROTJ. In ANH and ESB the panic and the business of those scenes of troopers running around and preperations for battle were what gave the battle all the more poignancy. In ROTJ they simply come out of a meeting, walk casually past the 2D backdrop and then we never even see some of them again like the three Dresselians. Now where did they get to in the battle on Endor? More bustle and preperation is needed to relay the fear and the desperation of that battle. I mean come on f'chris'sake! the Emperor himself is on the death star, they have one chance to defeat the Empire and they just seem to breeze into battle like it was a training exercise.

I'd like to see them redo the dungeon scenes with Chewie and the Gamorreans. Seeing Chewie give in like a big wet *****cat was painful. He's a warrior and he just walks to the cell. Redo the Gamorreans with better more articulated masks so they can snear and emote and have some kind of tussle in the dungeon with Chewie trying to at least resist.

I'd lose a lot of the establishing flight into Bespin as it takes too long. One of Lucas' strengths with the original version of ANH was his reluctance to dwell on the backdrops like so many other directors did. He wanted to concentrate on purifying the action and let that be the focus of the audience. 2001 spent hours on the scenery and had no plot or story it looks good but nothng else. Star Wars worked for the fact that it had great looking scenery but was only really seen fleetingly.

It was the wondering about the background that kept us all engrossed so long when we were younger. With the new CGI additions he has ruined his own vision by dwelling on the scenery needlessly. He could have still had new establishing shots to show how beautiful Cloud city was but kept it to a minimum and let the film flow a little better.

You don't need to see the ships land at every stop or planet. It's enough to start with the characters disembarking after seeing the ship approach the planet. The audience is never so thick as to need every little detail spelled out for them.

And definately get Ian to redo the ESB Emperor scene. I hate to say it but the old woman and Clive Revill made the Emperor sound way too butch for Ian's campy rendition of the Emperor to follow with any kind of continuity. :)

stillakid
08-20-2001, 01:27 AM
Oh yeah! I always wondered about the Endor fight sequence. The Emperor says that an entire legion of his best troops were down there. I don't know about you, but I didn't count or even perceive a legion of anything except trees. It might have even been cool to see the Red Guards in action down there, as they are apparently the elite fighting force of the galaxy.

And just remembered the Garbage Compactor scene in SW. How come Chewy didn't get wet? Well, the answer is obvious, but that could be changed somehow.

evenflow
08-20-2001, 05:19 PM
The only thing that I don't like and would change would be the Greedo shooting scene.

JediTricks
08-21-2001, 06:40 AM
EP, the B-wing scene was cut before ROTJ hit theaters, but the pic on the POTJ B-wing is from that filmed-but-unused scene, according to the SW Chronicles book.

"Replace Mos Eisley matte painting with more active CGI shot of ships taking off and landing." - I thought they did this, it's just not very effective on video.

"Better Alderaan Explosion" - yes! More like a planet exploding from the inside out, maybe like the Titan AE earth destruction scene we all saw in the trailers.

I wouldn't change how Obi-Wan disappears, it's very mysterious that way. I would however change how Vader's lightsaber passes right through Obi-Wan's in that scene.

Caesar, I too saw Han shooting first as mere self-defense, taking care of "business" with Greedo so he could get out with his skin intact.

lynnferd, I remember as a kid seeing an A-wing smash into the shields during the pull-up, but everybody tells me that I'm imagining things, that this scene never happened, or that I saw it in a documentary. I've never seen it in a documentary, but that's the only alternative I'd buy, I think I DID see this scene on my first viewing of ROTJ at the Egyptian theater in Hollywood on opening day. It'd be awesome to have that back in the film!

Stillakid, I don't think he sounds perterbed or upset, I think he sounds bored. "Bring me my shuttle" doesn't really sound any more angry than "Alert my Star Destroyer...", though the latter sounds more dejected to me. In any event, Vader being on the SSD should have had a scene shown, it seemed like he was up there awfully fast with the only point of reference being "hey valet, go get my shuttle, and if it's got a scratch...". I guess it all chalks up to personal taste on this one, but you're right about Lucas not caring about the continuity with Ep 1... at least not REALLY caring. It's like he just took one point and wrote it so it'd fit if you didn't mind the deus ex machina effect it caused.

As for the Biggs' scene, stiff acting can only be blamed on the same people who did the rest of the film. ;) This stuff may seem forced to you because you had 20 years to digest what was there before, I'm not saying that IS how you feel, just that it may be possible. I didn't think the Jabba scene felt forced, I just thought it felt redundant.

The original cut of ANH has Luke mentioning Biggs with "Blast it Biggs, where are you?!?", other than that, the interaction between them seems really vanilla, just 2 pilots and one dies, it could have been anybody, Luke gave more reaction for Red leader.

El Chuxter
08-21-2001, 12:42 PM
ANH:
With a couple of exceptions, my SE would look like Lucas's. First, as everyone seems to agree, the Greedo thing has to go. Second, again a common assessment, Jabba has to be fixed. I'd have been happy with Jabba's appearance if not for the way he looks in TPM. And I shudder whenever Han's hand passes right through him. The tail thing, though, definitely stays.

I'd change the dianoga--that should've been the first change ILM made. It was okay in 1977, but with the other changes, it looks hokey. Ketwol would stay, but he'd replace Lak Sivrak only in the scene that currently features the beret-clad lizard whose name I never can remember. That guy looks out of place, and I want Sivrak to be the one talking to Dice Ibegon.

I'd also reinstate all the Tatooine cut scenes. They were originally left out for storytelling reasons, but that seems to be Lucas's lowest priority at this point, so back they go!

My final ANH change would be the Death Star Explosion. The shockwave and improved detonation would stay, but I'd go back to the original "lone ship flying out" scene. That shot was classic, and it shouldn't have been tampered with.

And JT, I like "close the blast doors." :)

ESB:
I'd change very little from the original release of ESB. Luke's scream is the first to go, since it runs counter to the development of the character at the climax of the entire trilogy. Vader's new line and shuttle scene also go, because they're just unimportant.

One change I don't recall seeing mentioned here that was unfortunate is the line, "You're lucky you don't taste very good." That line stays.

The new look of Bespin I like, but I'm ambivalent about the Wampa. It goes, just because we don't need everything spelled out.

A scene that remains on the cutting room floor that needs to be restored is the one in which C-3PO tricks some Snowtroopers into being mauled by Wampas. And whatever scene includes the still of Luke wielding a huge cannon--that has to come back as well. And during the Hoth battle, I'd like to see an unloading AT-AT.

ROTJ:
This one needs the most work. Jabba's Palace was fine the way it was (if we fix the rancor's matte line), but I don't have a problem with an enlarged band. It has to look much better than what we got, though, and singing Lapti Nek or something else that actually sounds alien. Also, if anything is added to the Palace, it needs to be Shannon Baksa as Mara Jade, if only for a couple of frames. A scene of loading the Sail Barge would be a nice addition, too.

The Sail Barge scenes were okay, but a little more chaos at the end could help. Maybe see a couple of swoops flying away at the end to drive home the fact that Jabba's minions were gangsters and not all would be willing to die for him. I think the sandstorm can stay on the cutting room floor.

Far more action needs to be seen in the Endor Battle. They redid the ANH space battle, so this one needs some tweaking as well. The B-Wing raid on the Destroyer and the ships hitting the shield should come back from limbo.

On the ground, more action as well. Where are those Dresselians? What about some debris from the space battle (not necessarily Death Star pieces, but I know at least Lak Sivrak crashed in the vicinity of the bunker).

The only inside-the-Death-Star change would be Vader's choking of the Emperor's Guards being added.

I'm not sure about the ending--I go back and forth on it, so I won't pass judgment at this time. However, one thing needs to be added to ROTJ to make it complete: TEEK! :D

BenQuad
08-21-2001, 08:10 PM
B-wings in battle - Please

JediTricks
08-22-2001, 11:35 AM
I think the dianoga works as-is, it's SO alien that you really just don't know what's coming next. It doesn't look as hokey as that beak they threw onto the sarlacc either IMO.

I'm pretty sure that there was always 2 X-wings, a Y-wing, and the Millennium Falcon flying away from the blast of the Death Star, just that they used to move in a boring way.

The new Wampa scenes should go, they don't match the original ones very well IMO. The Wampa's cave looks like a tiny little corner of a small apartment in the new shots.

I think I read that the "vader choking the royal guards" scene was supposedly filmed with Vader choking regular Imperial officers instead. If this is true, then it should be CGI changed to Royals.

2-1B
08-22-2001, 01:44 PM
I'm not big on the Little Shop of Sarlaccs addition. As a kid, the Sarlacc was always one of my favorites, because it was pretty unusual. And mysterious, because all you see are a few tentacles, immobile teeth, and some flesh. It leaves alot to the imagination, making it creepier. The new beak makes it so . . . ordinary.

The 'Xir
08-22-2001, 04:08 PM
When this question has been asked before I've always said this one thing:
In ANH right after our heros blast their way out of Mos Eisley, during our hero's conversation Luke says,"why don't you outrun them, I thought you said this thing was fast" which Han replies something like, "watch your mouth kid, our you'll find yourself floating home, besides I know a few maneuvers we lose 'em". Then the next thing you see is the Falcon flying along straight like it's on autopiolt, being shot at by the pursuing Star Destroyers. If I were at ILM, after Han said that, I'd have the Falcon doing al sorts of crazy things trying to avade the laser fire!

BenQuad
08-22-2001, 06:44 PM
Agreed Xir, nothing paticularly "dynamic" about the falcon's manouveres - in fact, looking at it now, it all appears very pedestrian.

JimJamBonds
02-20-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm curious to hear what some of you would have done if the classic trilogy was yours for the tweaking. I'm sure some of you would have done absolutely nothing, and that's cool. I'm not interested so much in what was done that you do or do not like, but what you yourself would have changed, if anything.

I would insert a 20 something Anakin to join Yoda and Obbers at the end of Jedi.

El Chuxter
02-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Maybe add Ian to ESB and change the Emperor's lines so that any total morons who haven't followed the movies can figure out who Luke is? Or how about changing the Fett's voice?

JimJamBonds
02-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Maybe add Ian to ESB and change the Emperor's lines so that any total morons who haven't followed the movies can figure out who Luke is? Or how about changing the Fett's voice?

Maybe addind some new Vader dialog to ESB as well???

2-1B
02-20-2007, 07:30 PM
I think that George should add Jar Jar to the end of ROTJ, could be a nice way to tie TPM from a few years ago to the OT.

I can't believe I called that one ! :eek:

Qui-Long Gone
02-23-2007, 01:33 PM
I like the new Palps in ESB, but not the new dialogue....it makes Vader too dense like he doesn't know what's going on.....

Han shoots first! That's all I care about....

JEDIpartner
02-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Mmmmm... I wold have had Luke blow up something other than the Death Star to mess up the Imperials and put a finished Death Star in ROTJ so it wouldn't be so repetitive.

Or not.

JON9000
02-27-2007, 04:17 PM
I got a new Pioneer Hi-Def Plasma a couple of days ago, so I just finished watching ANH and ESB. Man, plasma televisions have some amazing color, and these are colorful films.

Having seen both again, I feel ESB could use yet another face lift on the digital scenes. Video games now look better than that Cloud Car flying about. ANH holds up surprising well, although I wish they would get rid of that Ronto walking in front of the landspeeder in the foreground.

princethomas
06-01-2007, 08:58 PM
If I could do anything I wanted, I wish I could add a few lines to Obi-Wan's "confession" to Luke on Dagobah. I'd like him to talk about Padme. For two reasons. First, because no one ever talks about Padme. Second. Luke does not, in fact, have "too much of his father in him" He has Padme in him too and that is why he succeeds where Anakin failed. He is born of both of them and that makes him great.

If I could REALLY do anything I wanted, I'd rotoscope Emp Luke and Vader out of the Death Star and have their final Duel take place in the Emperors thrown room on Coruscant. Thats where it should be. In fact I'd scrap the Death star completely and have the space battle take place above Coruscant and have Han and Leia and everyone fighting in the streets. Wouldn't that be nice.

Instead of Luke being brought to Vader. Vader could be waiting for him in the ruins of the jedi temple.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-03-2007, 12:30 PM
I watched ANH last night and thought of one other scene that could have used improvement: The escape from the Death Star space battle. It always looked like the Falcon was just sitting there waiting for the TIE's to come at them. They should have redone that.

For the most part, I think the changes and additions were good. The Greedo shooting first didn't bother me in terms of how it affects Han's character. Han is clearly reaching for his gun and the shots are almost simultaneous. The fact that Greedo missed at such short range is a problem though.

I'll agree that the line in ESB about Artoo not tasting good should have been left in. The line about Vader's shuttle didn't really bother me because I probably didn't notice the change.

For ROTJ, I don't like the new song in Jabba's Palace. I do like the new end theme, but I also like the Ewok song as well. Perhaps if there was a way to include both. I think the new song works better with Luke and the spirits. Perhaps start with Yub Yub and then fade into the new theme.

I think I argued about this before in another thread (I think JT disagreed), but I think that in DVD release of ROTJ, the Rancor scene looks much improved. It doesn't look like Luke is being filmed against a film backdrop so much anymore.

Qui-Long Gone
06-05-2007, 08:35 PM
I would like to have seen more product placement....

Nascar like decals on ships, Yoda throwing back a Sam Adams with his frustration over Luke's training...maybe some sleek Ray Ban's for Han or Lando and definitely a bib on Jabba that said "Joe's Space Crab Shack."

And if Lucas really wanted a different song for the end of ROTJ why not Prince's Party like it's 1999?

bigbarada
06-09-2007, 12:42 PM
And if Lucas really wanted a different song for the end of ROTJ why not Prince's Party like it's 1999?

I think Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" has a much more Star Warsy feel to it.:D

Actually, I believe the Special Editions would have been fine if they weren't touted as the new "definitive" versions of the movies and were just considered alternate versions of the films. I think Lucas claiming that these versions were superior and thus should replace the movies that had been going strong for decades, really rubbed people the wrong way and made the average person more unforgiving of the changes than they would have normally been.

Anyways, I would have loved to see the B-Wing sequence added back into the Endor Battle in ROTJ. Maybe then we could finally get a new human B-Wing Pilot.

JediTricks
06-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I am way down with a few B-wing action sequences thrown into ROTJ! The footage doesn't currently exist, as I understand it, they mocked up that one still and got started with elements, but didn't put together a full FX shot ready to insert. Now it doesn't matter, just take the elements and models, pop them into the computer and throw the rest together.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Actually, I believe the Special Editions would have been fine if they weren't touted as the new "definitive" versions of the movies and were just considered alternate versions of the films. I think Lucas claiming that these versions were superior and thus should replace the movies that had been going strong for decades, really rubbed people the wrong way and made the average person more unforgiving of the changes than they would have normally been.I never really felt that way. I thought that ANH really needed to be fixed. When you compare the effects of ESB and ROTJ, ANH really seemed to pale in comparison, at least in terms of the space battles. The other two movies didn't need it so much, though I like what they did with Bespin. I'd be happy with the original ROTJ if they insert the improved Rancor scene in it.

Qui-Long Gone
06-10-2007, 12:06 PM
I agree with BB but understand Power's opinion....

What needed "fixed" was digital clean up on some already great sequences, like space battles, Rancors, Bespin landscape, etc.

What didn't need "fixed" was adding stuff that didn't need added, Greedo shooting first, a poorly exectued Jabba/Han meeting, full-shot Wampa, Hayden Skywalker ghost, etc.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-10-2007, 02:52 PM
What didn't need "fixed" was adding stuff that didn't need added, Greedo shooting first, a poorly exectued Jabba/Han meeting, full-shot Wampa, Hayden Skywalker ghost, etc.You know, I probably didn't really notice Greedo shooting first when I saw the Special Edition the first time. I can't remember. I know from viewing the original version on the DVD that there's just an explosion and a cloud of smoke, so it is just implied that only Han shot. I don't have a problem with Greedo shooting first, but unless Han kicked him under the table or something was wrong with his gun, I don't see how he would have missed.

The meeting with Jabba was cool, but Jabba didn't look right, and the second attempt Jabba looked even worse. Also, the dialogue pretty much duplicates the Greedo scene. I don't mind having the scene in there though.

The Wampa scene and Hayden as ghost I am indifferent about. It's fine either way.

JediTricks
06-10-2007, 08:34 PM
I know from viewing the original version on the DVD that there's just an explosion and a cloud of smoke, so it is just implied that only Han shot.Actually, the scene is properly set up, you see Han unholster his weapon under the table while the conversation starts getting more deadly, there's the blaster sound and then you see Greedo explode in a cloud of smoke, then you see Han holding his weapon under the table just as he holsters it - cinematically, that's a complete tale even if you don't see the blaster bolt fly from the gun.

darko666
06-11-2007, 08:40 PM
i would add a scene in ANH with Sebulba begging for credits in front of the cantina. and as Luke and the crew enter the cantina, 3PO notices him and utters "Oh my". and to further ruin the movie, have Sebulba talking to the Stormtroopers outside of the cantina while the droids look on.

for the ESB, when Luke stops his training with Yoda to save his friends on Cloud City, when the ghost of Kenobi and Yoda both fail to keep Luke there, a ghost of Mace appears and says "This party's over, that boy was our last hope."

ROTJ, just replace the perfectly acceptable ghost of the old Anakin with the younger one... oh, wait.

El Chuxter
06-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Shortly after the ghost of Anakin appears in ROTJ, I'd have the ghosts of Mace, Kit, Saessee, Agen, Cin Drallig, Jocasta Nu, and all the younglings appear, holding baseball bats.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-12-2007, 02:13 PM
As far as Vader's "Bring my shuttle" vs. "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival," after seeing both versions, I prefer the older one. He sounds more tense and somewhat angry or sad that he couldn't turn Luke, whereas in the new one there's really nothing.

After watching them again a few weeks ago there are still some things they need to do. I'd like to see them completely redo the lightsabers in most of ANH, especially Luke's in Ben's hut (why is it flat when he turns it?) and on the Falcon (green, to white, to kinda blue). I've also been bothered by the "quick cuts" when the sabers turn on, and when the doors go up or down it just looks bad ("let's just look down for a few seconds and hold still while this door opens").

I'd also really like to see some re-rendering done on a lot of the CGI, especially the Sarlacc and the Rontos. And the Landspeeder in Mos Eisley; they changed the first shot and now it looks great but they should've used the new model throughout the other CGI shots. I've also always been bothered by the CGI sand dunes in ROTJ when the banthas are randomly walking toward them, they look really small or something.

Jargo
06-16-2007, 09:50 PM
ANH: (in no particular order)
I'd add some mobility to the masks on the cantina patrons. no need to change their look but just digitally add some eye blinks and mouth movements. make sure that hands all looked right such as the Duros having the same hands and Ponda Baba. In fact i would probably insert a more grizly shot of the dr' and ponda being sliced by the saber.
Han would shoot first.
mos eisley and mos espa seem far too busy. and there's so many different species of creature on what is essentially a burned out rock of a planet with tatooine. it has twin suns, it's incredibly harsh yet somehow all those gazilions of creatures survive there and all concentrated in one small patch of the planet? doubtful. thin it out more so it's sparse like the original cut and gives it even impact when luke says he wants to leave the planet coz there's nothing there.
the drive into mos eisley, i'd change the backgrounds completely especially that part whee they used the exact same setting as the cantina but threw some cruddy CGI stuff on top and that ronto rearing up. they didn't even remove the speeders. I could accept that there might be similar buildings but with the exact same droids outside and the exact same speeders? even the exact same locals walking past. just cheap and lazy work there.
why does han have a rebel helmet aboard the falcon? Ben gives it to luke and it has a solid blast shield. why would a starfighter helmet have a solid blast shield? what possible reason would there be to have such a thing. why would han possess one? I'd digitally alter the helmet design. make it more like a welders face guard sort of thing. han would have one of those.
the dead jawas. they all seem sort of deflated. probably could bulk them up a bit with a little digital painting.
i'd restore trims like the extra dialogue betwen Owen and Beru on the morning Luke takes 3PO to track down R2. I'd restore the tosche station footage. I'd restore the footage of Luke seeing the space battle above tatooine while fixing the vaporator. I'd replace the shots of R2 wadling up and down steps with CGI flying/hovering R2.
I'd have holographic images in the death star conference room rather than just audio. in at least one establishing shot of the death star I'd add a shuttle.
I'd totally redo that shot where Han runs into scores of stormtroopers. It worked better with just a few. o if it had to be a full hangar then at least get the perspectives right and put less in there.
I'm sure there's something could be done with the death star plans readout on yavin. and the cardboard cutout x and y wings in the hangar.
I'd have at least one shot of the planet alderaan from the surface as it gets destroyed. and have more physical mass as the planet explodes. as it is now it looks more like a can of fuel exploding by electronic means. there needs to be chunks of molten rock spinning around otherwise how could the falcon run into what appears to be a meteor belt?
I'd put back the chest explosions on the imperials who get shot. it's only sparks after all but it just looks better.
I'd overdub all of Anthony daniels' dialogue with a less irritating characterisation. and more of a processed sound to his voice. American too.
I'd paint out any occurence of the grey pipes on R2's inner legs where Kenny baker was in the costume.
Darken Vaders lenses on his mask.
make the astro droids on the death star black.
I'd make the music played by the modal nodes more alien. less jazz and more akin to the street music of mos espa.
I'd go back to the original footage of jabba in docking bay 94 and use that rather than a CGI jabba. but i'd tweak the dialogue in ADR, change han's dialogue so references to jabba were replaced by references to whatever name was chosen for that character. use CGI to reshape Hans lips to match the dialogue.
I'd make more of the death star explosion. like the whole thing superheats first, glowing and with cracking edges at docking ports then whole portions splitting then the thing explodes outwards then implodes before that huge shockwave is sent out. except the shockwave would be a spherical one not flat plane one. and the remains of the DS should burn a little longer like a tiny dying star.
I'd also not end the movie with that victory celebration. I'd re-use footage from the yavin base control room and have one of the comms officers recieving a crackly message from some rebel outpost of some new danger. end the movie with a touch of the 'more to come' rather than 'this is an end'.
I'd change the stupid noise that patrol droid makes as it annoys the ASP droid. it'd be more nasty and electronic. like the sort of attitude E-3PO gives C-3PO on cloud city.
I'd add AT-ST's and speeder bikes to establishing shots of Mos Eisley. give even more of a sense of danger to the place. maybe even some distant stand-off skirmish. just a quick glimpse of the imperials meting out punishment. to back up Ben's claims of the place being dangerous. as it is ben and luke see to breeze through mos eisley like they're off down the local shops for a carton of milk.
I'd remove any 'comedic' music cues and replace them with less overt ones.
finally I'd replace vader's voice. as lovely as james Earl jones is and as great as his voice is for me it just doesn't work as anakin inside a helmet speaking through a vocoder. for one thing I'd use a white guy for the voice. secondly I'd use someone far more sinister sounding. thirdly it'd be more processed. less human. it would also probably have a dual vocal track with Hayden speaking the lines and his track just faintly in the back of vaders voice.
and finally I'd put that hole in the ground next to the roof of the lars garage so it matches the interior shots looking out of the garage.

Jargo
06-17-2007, 02:26 PM
ESB:
The stop-motion Tauntauns would be replaced with CGI ones.
I'd put the scene of Luke having the bacta mask removed back.
I'd redo the scene of the Wampa attack on echo base and R2 luring Wampa's into the trap. then the scene of the snowtroopers entering the chamber where the Wampa's were held captive. It's not essential to the plot and doesn't advance anything but it's just a nice idea.
I'd replace the AT-ST with a CGI version or an AT-AP and have some speeder bikes buzzing around. I'd add into the footage of the rebels battling against the imperials with some sort of skirmish inside echo base.
I'd completely redo the space slug asteroid sequences. or at least paint over the main crater digitally. make it more hostile looking. I'd add more mynocks to the slug interior scene. Completely redesign the slug to look less like a sock puppet and more like real creature.
add a shot of the other bounty hunters flying away from the executor before the fleet starts to split up.
Redo the floating head of doom holographic emperor. make it more akin to the holographic sidious of TPM.
I'd change the colour pallet of cloud city. fewer pastels and more bold colours. try and lose the 1980's wallpaper design look to the interiors. I'dd add more air traffic with different air speeders buzzing around. tibana gas transports.
I'd use the more graphic shots of han's torture.
The scene where chewie finds the bits of threepio, I'd redo that and have chewie get real angry and hold an ugnaut next the furnace threatening to throw it in then have the ugnauts collecting the parts together for chewie.
I'd lose the scream from Luke.
I'd put back the shot of Lando catching Luke o the hull of the Falcon.
I'd insert a shot of Lobot and Cloud city citizens being shot in the back. just to give the stormtroopers some ability at hitting targets. and to up the stakes in the reasoning for Lando joining the rebellion.
I'd replace puppet Yoda with the CGI one.
I'd do something with that horrible galaxy backdrop to the med bay window. and the shot of the window from the outside. Just make it all gel a bit better.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-17-2007, 03:01 PM
I just remembered that in the Hoth battle, there is a scene with an AT-AT in the background that doesn't seem to be moving at all. It's probably just a painting or something. It always looked a bit odd to me.

C5Jedi
06-17-2007, 05:01 PM
I just remembered that in the Hoth battle, there is a scene with an AT-AT in the background that doesn't seem to be moving at all. It's probably just a painting or something. It always looked a bit odd to me.

Along a similar line - in Jedi when the droids get picked up after the Sail Barge scene, the background (behind the droids) is a painting and it's really obvious.

Han shoots first.

And in the Jabba/Han scene the last line should have been Jabba's "Dont insult me" when Han refers to him as being almost human or whatever the line was.

I like the yoda in the original trilogy/SE (but I would change him to a cg yoda in ep1).