PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Reissue Figs

BFett88
08-04-2003, 08:25 PM
I have been very lucky with my findings lately. I have gotten about everything new. But I refuse to buy these new repacks. They are stupid. I think Hasbro is making more figs that will just warm up the pegs. I open my figs and these remakes are a waste of time for me, a waste of space for something that hasn't been made yet. But I know this will not be the last of remakes. Im sure they have truck loads of Jar Jars ready to go out.

tagmac
08-04-2003, 08:30 PM
The only one worth getting was Han Solo, cuz of the head change. But the rest were completely unnecessary, especially Maul and Jango.

And thanks to these figures, there were fewer Padme Wedding Gown figures out there - the only new figure NOT slated to be in the upcoming case that'll take the place of the recently cancelled one (Wat Tambor and Coleman will be in it). Kebco assured me I'll still get it, but I'm starting to regret passing it up at a toy show last month.

keithfite
08-04-2003, 10:38 PM
re makes **** me off. They are just wasting plastic. The darth maul is the only one I think is good. That way you can get it if you couldnt get it from the vader and maul 2 pack There is a new case coming that has wat, coleman, and padme wedding dress. case 84861- A00F. I cant believe they cancelled the other case that had them. I have no idea why they did it, any of you guys and girls know?

tagmac
08-04-2003, 10:53 PM
Hmm..I didn't know that. The only case I saw listed at EE had Wat Tambor and coleman Trebor listed, but no Padme. Well, I just won a Padme on ebay..I know it was a dumb panic move, but after passing it up twice, I didn't wanna take a chance.

jedihunter25
08-05-2003, 12:06 AM
Reissue figs that were top notch peg warmers in the past is a bad idea. If they hung from a peg unwanted for 6 months to a year plus collecting dust, what makes Hasbro think these are going to sell? Retail stores has enough peg warming problems. If they don't sell, the stores order less cases and turn down exclusives like the Sandcrawler and Twin Cloud Car- which in turn, killing the Star Wars line. If Hasbro wants to reissue figs, they should put out the ones that were hard to find- like Ephant Mon, TC-14, Sio-Bibble, Ree-Yees, R2 w/ holographic Leia, Ad. Motti, and holograph Darth Sidious instead.

kool-aid killer
08-05-2003, 07:24 AM
Agreed jedihunter25, it would be awesome to see a Sio Bibble, TC-14, or even a R2-B1 even if it was on a Saga card. Even better would be that you wouldnt have to pay so much for them. But i dont see that happening anytime soon. Well, if it makes anybody feel any better, at least the reissued Jango is the Kamino escape version and not the one that came with a "fireball," those really pegwarmed.

El Chuxter
08-05-2003, 12:16 PM
I think the reissues are an experiment of sorts to see whether other figures should be reissued in the future or not. Aside from the Han and Luke, none of them were exactly pegwarmers. And, since most stores have cleared their shelves of Endor Han one way or another, there aren't any figures of Han out there, at least not in his standard outfit.

FF Leia was from a wave that was difficult to find at first and has been unavailable at retail for a few years.

Kamino Escape Jango flew off shelves because of the hype about Jango. It's a decent idea to keep this fella on the shelves in one form or another, and the re-release keeps hardcore collectors from complaining about another resculpt.

CommTech Han pegwarmed about four years ago, but given the smaller number of Hans in the new cases and the lack of non-Hoth Hans, it probably won't do so again.

Flashback C-3PO is a piece of crap figure, but the entire second wave of Flashbacks was difficult to find. (I only saw them once each.)

Masters of the Darkside Maul? Please! If you found this figure, you are in a very small minority. This was probably rarer than Sio Bibble! (This is the only reissue I've bought so far.)

CommTech Tatooine Luke is the only one that's something of a waste. . . but then again, except for a pricey and somewhat HTF TRU exclusive Landspeeder, he's been out of the limelight for a couple of years, too.

To give an idea of how unfamiliar "normal folks" are with older figures, the cashier at KB where I bought the new figures from this wave saw Leia on the back of the card and was actually excited they'd "finally" made a Princess Leia figure!

My thoughts on this issue were initially that it was a stupid waste. However, it keeps core figures out there for the kids without generating tons of "Dear Hasbro: Why another Tatooine Luke?" threads. And, if they do well (as I suspect they will, given how quickly even these old figures vanish from shelves), I would expect to see some HTF figures being reissued for collectors. (I've already heard rumors of a re-release of Masters of the Darkside Vader, which has me excited!)

Battle Droid
08-05-2003, 12:17 PM
And thanks to these figures, there were fewer Padme Wedding Gown figures out there - the only new figure NOT slated to be in the upcoming case that'll take the place of the recently cancelled one

What figure was canceled?

Tycho
08-05-2003, 03:18 PM
Every day new kids become old enough to play with SW toys.

That is they were under 4 years old last year and just saw the DVD or VHS movies and were able to understand them, only recently.

Every once in a while, some guy who is in his late 20's or 30's wanders into Wal*Mart, Target, or even Toys R Us looking for something else, and he has NO IDEA that for the past 8 years, they have been making new Star Wars figures.

These new people have no idea who:

Lott Dodd
Teemto Pegales
Ki-Adi Mundi
Wat Tambor
Bariss Offee

etc. are, and they don't feel inspired to collect a Tusken Raider and Massif because of "all they did in the movie."

They might get excited to get their first Obi-Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, Darth Maul, or Jango Fett.

They might decide to start collecting then, and get some other figures to go with their main decision to purchase (i.e. Leia, Darth Vader, Yoda, etc).

It makes business sense to have the core characters out there.

YOU HAVE THREE CHOICES, GUYS:

1) re-release the best figures of the lead characters: Han Cantina, Jango Removeable Helmet, Darth Maul Jedi Duel, Qui-Gon Naboo, Leia Boussh Disguise, Luke Blastshield, C-3PO Tatooine and put them in whatever the current packaging is (maybe variation hunters and completists can relax their own rules a little and skip these instead of getting angry?)

2) Resculpt the main characters and create: Darth Vader with lightsaber throwing action and removeable helmet, Luke Jedi from Jabbas, R2D2 flying, Boba Fett with rocket blast, Darth Tyranus with lightning, Obi-Wan Kenobi Acklay Attack, Han Hoth, Chewie Mynock Hunt, etc. (and maybe anger resculpt haters who don't have to be completists or variation hunters either - realizing this sort of thing MUST continue until 2018 - and how many Luke Tatooine's do you think that will include?

3) LET THE LINE DIE because while we want waves of nothing but black Bespin Security Guards, Asks Moe, Dud Bolt, Hermione Bagwa, Sgt. Doallyn, Corde, Mot Not Rab, Po Nudo, Sly Moore, Queen Jamilla, Beru Whitesun etc., pegs full of them will gather dust as much as Teemto, Ki, Massif, Orm, Taun We, Lott Dodd and others do today.

MOTU sells because you can find He-Man on the rack.

Transformers has Optimus Prime in every store.

Batman and Spiderman have 10 sculpts outnumbering their villains and true collectors hate that.

Hulk barely has anyone but him in the line.

Terminator has yet to put out John Conner or Kyle Reese.

I can't find Anakin, Obi-Wan, Jango (with a helmet on him), Dooku, Vader, Leia, Han, Luke, Padme and others on most store racks.

So vote for re-releases or resculpts. What's your pick?

aceguide
08-05-2003, 03:29 PM
I like the idea of re-releases - expecially of those that were hard to find. Many of these, I feel, fit that bill.

The biggy I want to see is the EPI Sio, TC14's wave.

I do have to say that I have not seen many of the resculpts. I am dying for the Han Hoth & Boba, but am afraid they'll never make it to me.

JEDIpartner
08-05-2003, 03:55 PM
I haven't a problem with the re-issues of figures as long as they aren't the bulk of each wave and only constitute 10-15% of each year's output.

plasticfetish
08-05-2003, 03:58 PM
I drove around to a few stores this morning ... saw a few C-3POs, one Han and maybe one Jango Fett on the gold cards. Not exactly a tidal wave of peg warmers. If anything, R2 with the string is looking to warm some pegs in my neighborhood not the others.

tagmac
08-05-2003, 04:08 PM
MOTU sells because you can find He-Man on the rack.

Transformers has Optimus Prime in every store.

MOTU doesn'r sell as well as you think. The cases have 4 He-Mans/Skeletors, and ONE of every other character in the wave. Of course, those two figures clog the pegs, while scalpers grab every other character they can find and inflate the prices because they are so shortpacked. Only recently have I seen some of the other characters appearing more frequently.

Transformers has a junky "powermaster" Prime in every store. The reisiiue everyone wanted was also next to impossible to find due to it's limited release and scalpers (of course).

Battle Droid, the figure I was referring to was Padme Secret Ceremony. I don't know for a fact that it was cancelled, but the only case it is in was cancelled, and the upcoming case with Coleman and Tambor in it does not have Padme in the assortment. That's the only reason I bid for it on e-bay - a stupid panic move cuz I passed it up twice, and it's one fig I really don't wanna miss.

jjreason
08-05-2003, 04:26 PM
This ain't a new trick folks. Vintage Star Wars figures were readily available in different packages, some came out every year without any change to the basic figure (Darth, Jawa, Stormtrooper, etc). Even POTF2 had numerous figures released in package after package because they kept selling.
I prefer repacks to resculpts hands down. Keep good versions of core characters coming for the new collectors. If you have the figure already, and don't support repacks then don't buy it - leave it for someone else who might get started on collecting, as per Tycho's post. The whole reason they're out there is to attract new fans.

I think they've chosen good versions to rerelease, personally.

Kidhuman
08-05-2003, 04:39 PM
Reissuing figures is good in the case of HTF figures. They chose some poor figures to do it with this time. If they would have gone with the HTF figures we wouldnt complain. The fact that they chose poorly is the complaint. Throw a Sio Bibble out there and tons of us are happy. Throw a Jango and we are all upset because we can still find the original at the store.

What Tycho said is true though. Some people out there are just now getting into SW. So for them it is the first time around. For us, we have them hanging on the wall or out in some kind of display. Next round of reissues should be the HTF ones Hasbro.

Dark Marble
08-05-2003, 04:41 PM
So far, what I have seen is that the re-packs and the new figures are moving like crazy. So I am not worried about finding new stuff. And I passed on some of the figures that are re-packs now, so I am glad to see some of them again. At first I was really against some of these oldies showing up, but now I am see the light on it. It is better to get some of the core characters out there and attract new buyers. Because I have a strong feeling that once the last prequel hits, we won't be getting very much more Star Wars.

I was in KB the other day and was going through some of the SW figs when I group of kids walked up and started checking out the toys. The "leader" said to the others, "just pass by the Star Wars, we are looking for something cool." So much for kids being the driving force behind the SW toys. :(

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-05-2003, 05:52 PM
Tagmac - Han isn't different at all, I believe there's another thread about this though.

When Hasbro/Kenner rereleased figures on Freeze Frame cards a few years ago, I got Obi-Wan and TIE Pilot and a few others. This was a good idea. I think rereleasing figures now is fine, none of them pegwarm. I've only seen Maul twice, but didn't have enough money. So rereleasing figures does help new collectors.

TheDarthVader
08-05-2003, 10:26 PM
I do not mind repacks. The maul is one figure that I have wanted but could never find in the Masters of the Dark Side two pack. I'll buy the new Han too because of the newer head. (is this confirmed?) New collectors will appreciate the opprotunity. The "re-issues" are definately fine by me. I have not found many new figures anyway! ;)