PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with the White Stripes?

El Chuxter
08-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Just about everyone I know who's a big music fan won't shut up about how awesome the White Stripes' new album is. Two friends in particular who have pretty wide tastes in music (everything from jazz to country to heavy metal) have told me that it's one of the best CDs of all time. Rolling Stone magazine appears to agree.

And yet, whenever I hear one of their songs on the radio, it sounds like a bass-laden novelty song: like two twits with limited musical talent turning out a couple of catchy songs that are hummable but not particularly good. The redheaded stepchild of Primus and the Breeders.

So I can't help but wonder: is there more to the White Stripes than meets the eye, and they actually are good underneath their stupid gimmicks? Or, as I suspect, are there subliminal messages hidden in the tracks that make otherwise normal people think they like this latter-day alternative drivel?

Needles
08-05-2003, 02:44 PM
i too hate the white stripes and anyy othe danish/swedish band.how could they be popular the pluck strings and talk thats it!
while with heavy metal there actually singing or atleast screaming to a beat and arent jsut plucking strings.
White stripes are trash in opinion.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-05-2003, 04:03 PM
I must be too old, then. I said, I MUST BE TOO OLD! I find their music to be a perfect blend. That is, they blend in with several other bands, such as The Strokes, The Hives, The Nasty Underarm Rashes, etc. I see them as nothing different, just louder and more annoying. To say that they are cutting edge or unique is a stretch to me.

I'll go back to my 45s of Glen Miller and Fabian now... because that's easier than admitting I like Phil Collins, Hootie and the Blowfish, Janet and Michael Jackson, Level 42, Bruce Hornsby, Asia, Styx, Living Colour, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Sarah McLaughlin, Natalie Merchant, MC Hammer, ...

jjreason
08-05-2003, 04:11 PM
I have the latest White Stripes album ("Elephant") and have been listening to it quite a bit. The Danish comment I don't get - Holly's from England and Jack is from Detroit. The influences here are pretty wide, I can hear a some Queen and Rolling Stones coming through along with the punk influence. It's more than just screaming and pounding on instruments, that's for sure. There are no "dead areas" on the record, Im able to listen straight through without skipping a track - uncommon for me these days even with bands and records I really like. The comparisons to the Strokes and Hives are easy to make, based on appearance and the current popularity of "Lo-Fi Nouveau" but there is little to no ska sound to the White Stripes. Classic Rock with an edgy twist, I recommend downloading a few tracks of the album and listening without the video accompaniement before writing them off.

El Chuxter
08-05-2003, 04:24 PM
Drain STH is Swedish, and they rock. :)

I'm not sure I'm saying I hate the White Stripes, just curious if there's a reason they're getting such acclaim. The three tracks I've heard (Seven-Nation Army, The Hardest Button to Button, and Fell in Love with a Girl) aren't bad, but they're just a dude screaming over repetitive basslines. Hardly the second coming, methinks.

From what I've heard, it seems odd that critics applaud this, and yet Pete Yorn is still a relative unknown, even with his second awesome album hitting shelves and getting a little radio place recently. I think I'll see if I can borrow a friend's copy (downloading is pretty much impossible on my computer) and see if the rest is more of the same.

jjreason
08-05-2003, 04:28 PM
How could you possibly hate a record that gives great advice like:

"BE LIKE THE SQUIRREL, GIRL, BE LIKE THE SQUIRREL!!!!!!!!!!" :crazed:

Good stuff.

plasticfetish
08-05-2003, 04:52 PM
I haven't heard the album, I saw them live a while back at one of the little clubs around here. I didn't know who they were and they hadn't really hit yet ... I thought they were great. They're popularity is (like most bands) probably pretty much PR driven, but they do have a nice punchy basic rock and roll sound. No doubt they're success is something of a backlash to many of the other "acts" that we're being tortured with at the moment. The White Stripes, as it turns out, really can play music and they play it loud ... if they're album is any reflection of what I saw on stage, then I'm not surprised that they're doing well.

The really funny thing is, I have a friend that played a gig with them ages ago ... he's in this garage band with his wife and that night they wore these white and red matching outfits. Hah, years later he's looking at one of the White Stripes' singles covers or something and ...

Darth Jax
08-05-2003, 07:19 PM
take any of the 'The xxxxxs' bands that are so hot now and my opinion of them is the same - trash. strokes, donnas, white stripes, hives - haven't found one yet with music i'd really consider listening to. i too must be too old to appreciate it can't get into good charlotte, sum 41, avril any of todays psuedo punk scene.

DarthChuckMc
08-05-2003, 07:56 PM
I think they're getting alot of attention because they aren't the typical rap/metal mix that's already crapping up the airwaves.

If Anthrax only knew then what we all know now. :(

Exhaust Port
08-05-2003, 09:34 PM
I just think bands like the TWS are of a style that music folks love to herald them as being cool for no other reason than that they are different. They aren't totally mainstream so they aren't considered pop and therefore people think they are just a bit cooler for liking a "pure" band.

Hearing people talk about these "THE" bands reminds me of those music snobs who KNOW who the best bands are. They are always incredibly rare, only put out one album, only do shows in the smallest venues and never get played on the radio. Sometimes you'll know or even like a band that these snobs mention but they'll one up you by quoting their best work as an import album from Finland that came out before they were big. "I knew them before they were big."

The White Stripes is a band that even moderate music listeners can WOW other people with by saying they listen to them. It's catchy music but I don't think its anything to write home about.

plasticfetish
08-05-2003, 09:55 PM
It's catchy music but I don't think its anything to write home about.
Yeah ... that's true and I think that's maybe sort of the point. We're so constantly smothered by images of the next big "mega hit" that it's sort of comforting to see what is basically a little garage band make it big.

Hey Darth Jax ... but The Donnas are so damn cute!!! I saw them open up for a surf band in Hollywood ... err, like 6(?) years ago ... and I never imagined I'd see them make it big. I really think there is something to be said for wanting to see something that's "different". Only problem is, by the time we're having this conversation ... it's probably pretty much over for most of these bands. But that's cool ... at least where I live, there's no shortage of "THE" bands. (Love that term.)

Needles
08-05-2003, 09:57 PM
the reason i hate the white stripes and compatible bands is because of school,im the only "true" metalhead in my school,all the others are punk/preps im far from them.music plays a big part in what your classified as in school(atleast my school) metal=metalhead
rap=wigger
pop punk/pop/rap=prep
rap/rock=jock
punk/punk
and as i said im classified as a metalhead.so i hate anything that doesnt have screaming in it.
im not sure what i just typed was even worth typing,:-P

plasticfetish
08-05-2003, 10:30 PM
im not sure what i just typed was even worth typing,:-P
It was pretty funny. I have a hard time believing that you live in Jersey and you're the only metalhead in your school. :)

By the way ... umm ... the words "punk" and "prep" should really have nothing to do with each other. But, I think I know what you're saying. Simply try and finish high school as quickly a possible and then forget all of that junk. You probably could forget about it right now if you wanted ... but like I said, I know what you're talking about.

Darth Jax
08-05-2003, 10:39 PM
Hey Darth Jax ... but The Donnas are so damn cute!!! I saw them open up for a surf band in Hollywood ... err, like 6(?) years ago ... and I never imagined I'd see them make it big. I really think there is something to be said for wanting to see something that's "different". Only problem is, by the time we're having this conversation ... it's probably pretty much over for most of these bands. But that's cool ... at least where I live, there's no shortage of "THE" bands. (Love that term.)

they can't compare to the girl groups of the 80's - think go-go's and bangles. i too can remember years ago when the buzz about the donnas first appeared then they kinda seemed to disappear for awhile (won't claim to have cared for them then either). i'm not knocking anyone for listening to the 'THE' bands, just not musically interesting to me. the only enduring trend in music is spouting your knowledge of the anti-popular movement. i classify this movement as the garage sound (huge props to metallica there, but even they weren't the first), few years ago it was the southern california sound that was the big thing and everyone was claiming to have followed green day/goldfinger/blink 182/sublime (even no doubt) from the start and now they're so mainstream. as you say by the time you're discussing a band as being different - they no longer are alone in that distinction.

Exhaust Port
08-05-2003, 10:43 PM
Grundge bands were only good when they were on Subpop. ;)

Needles
08-05-2003, 11:12 PM
any of you know some good deftones songs?

plasticfetish
08-05-2003, 11:33 PM
the only enduring trend in music is spouting your knowledge of the anti-popular movement. i classify this movement as the garage sound ... few years ago it was the southern california sound that was the big thing and everyone was claiming to have followed green day/goldfinger/blink 182/sublime (even no doubt) from the start and now they're so mainstream.
Well, I'm not sure what an "anti-popular" movement is. There's good and bad "popular" bands ... just like there's good and bad small and local bands. "Garage music" is something that's been around since the 60's (probably longer) and what it really represents to me are those little bands that are playing the local clubs or parties, doing the tours in an old van and basically out paying their dues for the love of the music (as well as the hope that maybe one day they'll make it big.) I've got a lot of friends in bands like that and there's a lot of great "popular" bands that used to be bands like that. You mentioned No Doubt (who I've never cared for) ... I remember when they were the opening act for every Ska band that rolled through LA/OC 15 years ago. My wife used to see them playing at backyard parties ... used to see the Chili Peppers and a bunch of other bands back then too. They all had to start some place. Now, other than that ... "garage music" also represents a specific kind of "sound". A raw kind of rock and roll that relies heavily on the most simple but aggressive electric guitar, bass and drum sound. Think, (and I'm just pulling out some obvious ones) ... The Ramones or The Cramps and then look at the bands that they've emulated. Why's it popular with the kids? Well ... your average mall rat is going to have a heck of an easier time identifying with a band full of people like them. Rather than, say ... Justin Timberlake with his fleet of gold plated Escalades, his mansion full of albino tigers (or whatever) and his army of publicity people pushing him along.

... and yes, I agree that the Go-Go's are hotter than the Donnas. Jane Wiedlin is still super hot as far as I'm concerned.

jjreason
08-06-2003, 01:23 AM
Grundge bands were only good when they were on Subpop.

Like Afghan Wigs :cool: , but they rocked on Subpop and after. Amazing.

Needles: Check out "Drive" by Deftones, great track. Some of the stuff off Knife Fight at the Nico (I think that was the last album before this new one?) is good as well. I only have a few of those on my PC. I plan on picking up the new disc, as Im pretty happy with "Minerva", the first single released up here. They're cool.

2-1B
08-06-2003, 02:16 AM
Chux, I like your nod to Drain STH. :)
I love those CDs and wish they would reform. "Freaks of Nature" is so awesome . . . you know, I love Tony Iommi but I wish he wouldn't have married Maria - maybe Drain would still be here? I don't know . . .

White Stripes - I think they're goofy, they sound goofy, and Jack White reminds me of Perry Farrell on less crack. Meg ain't too bad on the eyes though . . . not too bad. Since the comparisons are being made to The Hives and Vines, I will say that I'll take the Stripes over those two bands.

I like The Donnas, they are the only band of that whole group that I like. I saw them do 2 shows before they "made it" and it was cool because they were in the dingiest of dingy clubs around here. :D
I don't think they're that great but I do like their sound and it helps when they throw Priest and Motley covers on their CDs. :)

Afghan Wigs - saw them a few times opening for Aerosmith and they did nothing for me. I think I remember a crazy woman on stage singing away - she kinda reminded me in some way of that cheerleader guy from the Bosstones . . . kinda. :crazed:

Exhaust Port
08-06-2003, 09:06 AM
any of you know some good deftones songs?

I don't think there are any.

InsaneJediGirl
08-06-2003, 10:29 AM
To me,they seem a bit "Popish" to be considered out of the box or anti-mainstream.The songs are not all too bad,I've heard worse,but nothing to get excited over.

mabudonicus
08-06-2003, 11:26 AM
This is prolly totally ignorant, but from the 7 nation army tune and a few other odd things I noticed, I got the impression that there are racist undertones to the whole "white stripes" deal.... my buddies think I'm nuts... has ANYONE at all gotten anything like that, or am I talking through my hat here??

The Overlord Returns
08-06-2003, 12:17 PM
This is prolly totally ignorant, but from the 7 nation army tune and a few other odd things I noticed, I got the impression that there are racist undertones to the whole "white stripes" deal.... my buddies think I'm nuts... has ANYONE at all gotten anything like that, or am I talking through my hat here??

You're talking through your hat ......

Look, the thing with bands like TWS (who I think are excellent. Putting together those kinds of songs with one guitar and a drummer is tops IMO) and the hives, the strokes, black rebel motorcycle club, division of Laura Lee, is that they are actually ROCK & Roll. They DON't sound like every other band out there. You can't mock them like so....

"god I just love Theory of a dead nickelback defaults creed".....bands that all sound EXACTLY THE SAME......

I'll take the white stripes over NSYNCin Park anyday.....

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-06-2003, 01:52 PM
I hate the White Stripes as well. For me, today, music just sounds ALL the same. First we had the pop boy band movement, then it was was onto the "hi, we say we're punk, but really more pop" era lead by blink, Alien Ant farm and sum 41. then, we had that annoying metal/rap movement, which thank God, is slowly dying a gruesome painful death. Now, we're onto this wacky "we're kinda like garage bands, but aren't good" stage w/ the Vines, Strokes and the Stripes. I rarely even turn on the radio anymore due to this crap filling the airwaves. I just keep to my CD's where i know the music won't suck. :D

plasticfetish
08-06-2003, 04:32 PM
For me, today, music just sounds ALL the same.
Hey wait, that's crazy ... that's just what my grandma said once! HEY ...

... Grandma? Is that you?

:)

jjreason
08-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Man, this is just so weird. Who would have ever guessed so many people could actually have different tastes in music? :eek: :crazed: :D

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-07-2003, 11:00 PM
What I want to know is how can a guy like Jack White go from Meg White to Renee Zellweger?

2-1B
08-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Maybe he's a big fan of Jim Carrey? :confused:

plasticfetish
08-08-2003, 01:18 AM
What I want to know is how can a guy like Jack White go from Meg White to Renee Zellweger?
Anything's possible in this great country.

NICE Avatar Caesar ... you know who I'm voting for come October.

sith_killer_99
08-11-2003, 02:50 AM
Let's watch the P&R stuff.

plasticfetish
08-11-2003, 03:28 AM
Let's watch the P&R stuff.
Sorry.
(It's gotten a bit surreal here in the golden state ... hard to take the current "P" situation seriously. So we joke.)

El Chuxter
02-09-2004, 02:31 PM
Okay, I'm still reeling from the Grammys last night.

HO. LEE. CRAP!

After seeing the White Stripes tear through a medley of "Seven Nation Army" and Son House's "Death Letter," complete with several minutes of string-straining guitar improv, I hereby recant anything negative I may have said regarding this group and promise to only say nice things about Mr White in the future.

And, though I'm not quite in agreement with his placement in the list, Rolling Stone was right to include him in their top 100 guitarists of all time.

2-1B
02-10-2004, 11:46 AM
That's alright Chux, I'll take over the negativity campaign against Mr. White. :)

I saw that "performance" and I have a real problem. They let that guy go up on stage and scream like a goon but when a singer like King Diamond puts out a QUALITY album this year he gets no respect. :crazed:

evenflow
02-13-2004, 09:47 AM
All these band, the Hives, Vines, White Stripes, The Darkness, all pretty much suck. Now hear me out. They all sound the same. As a former DJ, the radio industry sucks. It really does. ANything that a program director or a music director adds will become popular if it is played enough. Many bands are praised because there is just no alternative. Here in New York / New Jersey there is only 1 rock station. That is just disgraceful. This is the #1 market and there is only one station. So peole are forced to listen to terrible music. You are much better off investing in Sirius or XM radio. They are the future of radio and really do play different types of music.

2-1B
02-22-2004, 01:08 AM
I bought my current car in May of last year and I have yet to adjust the radio presets. :D

It's only CDs or talk radio in my automobile. :p

sith_killer_99
02-22-2004, 01:25 AM
Well, I just downloaded 'Elephant' on Napster and I like them. Though I'm not sure I would rate them as the best ever. But they are definatly worth listening to.

jjreason
02-22-2004, 09:04 AM
I'm listening to Elephant again after a hiatus of nearly 6 months (od'd on it last year). It rocks. I think that's the deal.

plasticfetish
02-22-2004, 04:38 PM
All these band, the Hives, Vines, White Stripes, The Darkness, all pretty much suck. Now hear me out. They all sound the same. As a former DJ, the radio industry sucks. It really does. Anything that a program director or a music director adds will become popular if it is played enough. Many bands are praised because there is just no alternative. Here in New York / New Jersey there is only 1 rock station. That is just disgraceful. This is the #1 market and there is only one station. So people are forced to listen to terrible music. You are much better off investing in Sirius or XM radio. They are the future of radio and really do play different types of music.
"the Hives, Vines, White Stripes, The Darkness"
(*sing*) Which one is not like the others?
I won't argue that there's a similarity between the first three, but I think that "The Darkness" is something different. More of a tongue in cheek, loving tribute to the glam and spandex kind of thing.

I agree with what your saying on a less specific level though. Living in Los Angeles, you'd think that there would be dozens of great radio stations, but it's pretty much the same thing. We have one or two that fit each specific genre, and in all cases they're terribly formulaic. Even the "independent" station that just appeared is corporate owned and seems to run a play list peppered with a handful of current payola pop hits.

But, that's radio. I can't imagine that it's ever been different, or that it will ever be anything other than what it is. So, if you want to hear something different, go out to your local clubs and see what's happening. (To bring it back on topic.) That's where I saw The White Stripes for the first time a few years ago.

El Chuxter
02-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Funny thing is, the Darkness seem to get angry when people say they're tongue in cheek.

I saw a video for them not so long ago on MTV (quite an unusual event in itself!) and watched in dumbfounded horror as everything bad about hair metal was revived without the good. We're talking "pop metal after John Bonham's death but before Motley Crue." It was like freakin' Accept cranking out "Balls to the Wall" all over again, but not as catchy. :eek:

But back to the subject at hand: I stand by my giving mad props to any group who will suddenly turn a Grammys performance into a Son House tribute.

jjreason
02-24-2004, 03:15 AM
It's all about the guitar. There are some very nice, subdued tracks on Elephant as well as a nice bluesy number. The kicker for me, though, is the near-blinding fury with which he blows up on "Hardest Button" and the other more metallic tracks. Just amazing.

ASIDE: I saw they Darkness on TV tonight, pretty funny stuff. Whether they like it or not.

arctangent
02-24-2004, 07:06 AM
my god, the darkness are awful. people are saying they are putting the fun back into music but if that's what fun sounds like you can keep it. i am sure they must be a joke but they do get very angry when you mention it to them. they have just won three brit awards which is the uk version of the grammy's but rather crap and second rate and the brits are so behind the times that this is the first year they had a best rock band category.

my brother, whilst working as a freelance journalist last year was paid to do an article about whether a man could pull whilst wearing spandex. he had to go to a nightclub and dress a la justin hawkins! the answer was a resounding no. everyone spent the night laughing at him. its almost as if grunge never happened!

i understand that this year the darkness are concentrating on cracking america. well, quite frankly america is welcome to them. and all i can do as a citizen of these fair isles is apologise most sincerely for inflicting the darkness on the rest of the world.

mabudonicus
02-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Still don't think the White Stripes are much of anything, for what's supposed to be so "edgy" and "raw" it SURE is overproduced....

The Darkness aren't supposed to be a JOKE?!? That in itself is pretty funny... they sound like U2 mixed with Sloan (who sound like KISS musically, but the vocalist sounds more like grunge-like whining) and from the coulple tracks I've heard their "gimmick" is about as mulit-faceted as that goof from Our Lady Peace (that "Ahaiyeeeeee" bit, like a male Enya or Cranberry).... falsetto doesn't count as "cute" after about the 2nd time it's employed....

Although, if it came down to all music having goofy falsetto "wahaiyeeee" bits in it, it'd at least be one step away from the "CREED bands" and their "eyehhhhhhhrrrrrrrauwoh" junk (you know, the sound every single phrase in pretty much every one of them dirge-bands' songs ends with, where they can't let go without incorporating every vowel sound??)

El Chuxter
02-24-2004, 12:19 PM
I was in Target yesterday looking for figures, and overheard the Darkness wafting over from the electronics section. I had to go elsewhere. Even a gold-embossed SA Clonetrooper on a Marvel Legends error card isn't worth that torture! :)

The dude (I know not his name, nor do I care) seems to want to be early-70s Freddie Mercury, but without the talent. Sad, really.

As for Creed, I've said it before, I'll say it again: I absolutely loved all their early albums. Especially Ten and Vs. Though as to why they changed their name from Pearl Jam, I'll never know. :crazed:

mabudonicus
02-25-2004, 08:03 AM
As for Creed, I've said it before, I'll say it again: I absolutely loved all their early albums. Especially Ten and Vs. Though as to why they changed their name from Pearl Jam, I'll never know.
Yes, and I've read it before... it ws so subtle the first time I nearly missed it :D
I think the name change was genius, personally; they re-made all their previous hits under a different guise and made fresh money off stale tunes... reduce, re-use, recycle- the music business is so environmentally friendly it almost ain't funny

Like the White Stripes... they just record other musical parts beforehand then play them back while they're onstage to make them sound like a whole band and get people to rave about how impressive it is that only 2 guys can do all that :D

And the darkness, well that's even better- they can just change the labels on "Jazz" and "news of the world" and they've already got 2 real good albums in the band, it's win-win...

Oh, and what's wrong with Accept??? "Fast as a shark" is a classic, man :)
That's the thing, people never heard the "deep cuts" lol

arctangent
02-25-2004, 08:57 AM
Oh, and what's wrong with Accept??? "Fast as a shark" is a classic, man :)
That's the thing, people never heard the "deep cuts" lol

now you are taking me back! i had forgotten about accept. old udo sang in nearly as high a pitch as justin hawkins from the darkness but he sang it like a man! they did have a song called 'balls to the wall', after all!

evenflow
03-18-2004, 01:04 PM
The Darkness are just aweful and horrendous. I really don't think it is serious. I can't wait for them to come out and say it is was done as a joke like Spinal Tap. Then all the pople who liked them will look like fools for it not even being real. It is just so bad i can't understand how anyone can like it.

sith_killer_99
03-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Well, I gotta say, the more I listen to the White Stripes the more I like 'em. Kinda like Nirvana, they really grow on you. Though I would like to see Meg get a few more lead vocals. 'In the Cold Cold Night' rocks!

So I guess it's just the two of them. Does anyone know who added vocals for 'Well It's True That We Love One Another'?

El Chuxter
03-18-2004, 02:04 PM
I think her name was Holly Golightly, but that sounds rather like a pseudonym. The Stripes are definitely growing on me, and I've decided I'll have to get at least one of their previous albums because it has covers of Son House and Skip James, two of my all-time favorite blues gods.

On the other semi-recurrent topic, I heard the Darkness CD in its entirety and it's a gazillion times worse than I'd expected. Imagine some talentless hack trying to pull of Freddie Mercury's vocals over poorly-done Kiss riffs, with lyrics that are so incredibly poorly written and overwrought they make Spinal Tap look like Bob Dylan. A few of the songs might actually be decent if they were sung by Paul Stanley, because they really sound like they could be rejected Kiss songs that end up bootlegged or on b-sides or something. Really, really, really bad stuff.

sith_killer_99
03-18-2004, 03:10 PM
The Darkness has 2 albums on Napster, so I gave 'em a listen...horrible.

Chux, thanks for the info on Ms. Golightly, she has some of her own albums and played with another British band called Thee Headcoatees, anyway, they are described as the same "minimalist" style as The White Stripes.

arctangent
03-19-2004, 03:15 AM
The Darkness has 2 albums on Napster, so I gave 'em a listen...horrible.

that's pretty clever considering they have only recorded one album but you are right sith_killer_99 - THEY ARE HORRIBLE. and we have sent them over to you, dear cousins in the states. please keep them.

Sentinel18725
03-19-2004, 06:35 AM
My roommate and I were discussing the White Stripes. He asked me where I would put them in a musical library. My CD's are arranged by sounds...ie. Alternative (Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam) Classical rock (Styx, Joe Cocker, etc.). The only group that I could think of them with was Porno for Pyros/Perry Ferrell/Janes Addiction. Any other suggestions?

sith_killer_99
03-19-2004, 12:40 PM
that's pretty clever considering they have only recorded one album but you are right sith_killer_99 - THEY ARE HORRIBLE.

My mistake, Napster cam up with "The Darkness" and "Pierce The Darkness" when I ran the search, two different artists. :crazed:

THEY ARE HORRIBLE. and we have sent them over to you, dear cousins in the states. please keep them.

Is this supposed to be some kind of retaliation for a certain political issue, which shall not be discussed? LOL ;)

arctangent
03-22-2004, 03:35 AM
Is this supposed to be some kind of retaliation for a certain political issue, which shall not be discussed? LOL ;)

actually, its revenge for everything from the boston tea party onwards :crazed: !

evenflow
03-24-2004, 08:37 AM
actually, its revenge from the boston tea party :crazed: !

I knew that would come back to us in the end. Damn us!!!! Damn the Darkness!!!!!

Mad Slanted Powers
04-22-2004, 11:02 AM
I think her name was Holly Golightly, but that sounds rather like a pseudonym. The Stripes are definitely growing on me, and I've decided I'll have to get at least one of their previous albums because it has covers of Son House and Skip James, two of my all-time favorite blues gods.

I like the first two White Stripes albums the best. I had not heard the White Stripes until the third album and "Fell In Love With A Girl" was on the radio. I liked it but felt it was a lot like other bands like The Hives and The Vines that were getting attention at the time. Then I heard some earlier White Stripes on an internet station and they were more blues based rock. Now I have all four CD's.

I too really enjoyed their performance on the Grammys. I thought that was great to change from their hit single into a rocking slide guitar blues number from an early album.

El Chuxter
05-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Dude! I never thought I'd say this, but the new White-produced album from Loretta Lynn is awesome! (Seriously, if I were to go back in time ten years and tell my younger self that, my younger self would think I was an impostor and kick me repeatedly in the shins.)

I thought that was great to change from their hit single into a rocking slide guitar blues number from an early album.

Check out Son House's original version of "Death Letter." I like the Stripes' version, but House is even better. He's one of those guys who's such a giant that it's practically impossible to top him.

A somewhat obscure blues guitarist named Derek Trucks (now Duane Allman's replacement in the Allman Brothers Band) also did a great take on "Death Letter" on his debut album, Out of the Madness. It's out of print, but not too hard to find.

2-1B
10-22-2005, 11:09 PM
I finally watched Cold Mountain recently, awesome movie, but WTF was Jack White doing in it ? :rolleyes:

Going in, I didn't know he was in the movie . . . then he pops onscreen and I recognized his sickly mug immediately. To be honest, it took me out of the movie for a moment because he looked so out of place. He didn't belong in there. :rolleyes:

Oh that's right, he was banging Renee Zellweger so he got a role. :rolleyes:

JimJamBonds
10-23-2005, 01:18 AM
I finally watched Cold Mountain recently, awesome movie, but WTF was Jack White doing in it ? :rolleyes:

Going in, I didn't know he was in the movie . . . then he pops onscreen and I recognized his sickly mug immediately. To be honest, it took me out of the movie for a moment because he looked so out of place. He didn't belong in there. :rolleyes:

And here I am, a guy that saw Cold Mtn. in the theaters and the guy who's copy Caesar watched and I didn't know. Although I don't really care one way or the other. I'm content with the fact that Caesar's favorite Batman villian (Scarecrow) gets a load of buckshot from Nat Po.

Ji'dai
10-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Did White play "Georgia" in Cold Mountain? I didn't recognize him either. I did recognize Natalie "I got a hog!" Portman of course. Ms. Portman looked pretty good despite the fact her choppers hadn't been brushed in awhile. What the heck does White see in Renee Zellweger?! I liked her in this film but I just can't accept her as a romantic lead. She's good as the good-looking chick's best friend though, like a Jeneane Garafolo. But I'll still take Natalie "You take that hog and we're dead!" Portman any day of the week, bad teeth or not.

2-1B
10-28-2005, 01:57 AM
Yes, the thug played Georgia and I would have much preferred it if he died instead of Ethan Suplee's character. lol

JEDIpartner
11-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Let's hear it for the Poo Stripes!!!!