PDA

View Full Version : Have you even been laid off or fired?

DarthChuckMc
08-05-2003, 07:48 PM
Best Buy has decided to give their Home Delivery line over to a 3rd party service, leaving me, and about 800 other guys out of a job.

This is the first time in my life, that I've ever been laid off from a job, and I'm not sure exactly how to feel about it.

I'm a little p***ed off, but not overly angry. I can understand how it's a cost cutting option the company as a whole will benefit by, but I still feel like I've been screwed over, and there is nothing I can do to fight the powers that be.

Granted, it's only a $11 an hour job, and those aren't that hard to come by, but I've put in 3 years there, and have insurance for my family through them, plus the benefits that come with being employed by them.

Anyone else ever had this happen?

Exhaust Port
08-05-2003, 09:44 PM
I was fired from Sea World for a reason that wasn't my fault. I had even signed a piece of paper stating that I was not liable at the beginning of the season but it didn't seem to matter. It seemed they just wanted me gone and that is what happened. I was really mad to say the least especially since the person who was liable was still employeed and making money. At the time (early 90's) even minimum wage jobs were tough to come by so it wasn't like I could turn around and find another. I had worked there for 3 previous seasons and was probably one of the few reliable workers they had there. Sadly when you give a few young college kids some power they like to play god at times and many good people were poorly treated and some let go. It sucked. I'm sorry to hear you've been handed a pink slip as well DCM.

kool-aid killer
08-06-2003, 11:36 AM
I was fired from a local restaurant on my second day of work there. Went inside only to be told i was terminated because they didnt feel it was a good fit. What i believe was the real reason is that they wanted me to relocate to one further away but i refused. That and one of the managers was (i apologize if i offend anybody, its not my intent) different and he tried to teach me how to use the drive through headset to talk to people outside, but the customer misunderstood him and called him a lady. (he had a feminine voice) He was already upset but my laughing didnt help it any either.

Well i hope you have luck finding a new job quickly.

EDIT: sorry didnt know that word was forbidden.

scruffziller
08-06-2003, 12:03 PM
I got temporarily laid off from my telemarketing job the 2 weeks after 9/11 because our client felt it would really not be good biz to do it during that time. It was kind of a nice vacation. I also was somewhat fired(actually forced to change jobs) with another independently run telemarketing company. I was fired from making sales calls after 2 months because I just didn't have the knack, to continue employment with the company by being a delivery driver for their products and in which my dad talked me out of it(so glad he did). Because my car was not up to driving to other states.

The Overlord Returns
08-06-2003, 12:28 PM
I was laid off once due to internal politics, and one of my assistants basically making a play for my job......

Funy thing was, I was planning on resigning....instead I was "terminated" and given several thousand dollars in compensation......I didn't complian too much....

JEDIpartner
08-06-2003, 12:30 PM
I was canned because a client was attempting to commit insurance fraud, was backed against the wall by my boss, Zanella the Hutt, and said that I was coaching him. Instead of pursuing and investigating, my boss basically said, "It's easier to just let you go because you know that these rental agents talk and we don't want to give the chain a bad time... so, bye!"

Kidhuman
08-06-2003, 01:32 PM
I was fired from a few jobs. Internal politics(making too much money). In Va. it is a right to work state, so they actually dont need a good reason to can you. They waited for something they could fire me for before they did it to cover their butts from a lawsuit. I enjoyed the vacation. Unemployment was paying me as much as my job was so it didnt matter. The only downside was the benefits. Paying full price for doctors visits is annoying.

derek
08-06-2003, 04:33 PM
DarthChuckMc,

any chance of you getting hired by the company your job was contracted out to? it seems like that company would want experienced people?

anyway, good luck to you.:)

DarthChuckMc
08-06-2003, 04:37 PM
DarthChuckMc,

any chance of you getting hired by the company your job was contracted out to? it seems like that company would want experienced people?

anyway, good luck to you.:)

Thanks!

If I go to the 3rd party service, I would have to drive 70 miles to Lakeland, drive back 70 miles to Orlando to make deliveries, 70 miles back to Lakeland, then 70 miles back home to Orlando. All that driving, plus the driving I'd have to put in while making deliveries would suck beyond belief. I wouldn't have my discount either, which is 5% above cost.

I did have the option of staying in the store, but at Part-time 24 or less hours a week, lose all benefits, plus take a $4 an hour paycut.

I'm trying to get on at Target, hopefully that pans out and I won't even miss a paycheck. :)

Kidhuman
08-06-2003, 05:30 PM
I wish you the best of luck at Target. If you get on there at least we will have a good trading partner.:D

Vortex
08-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Sorry to hear about the layoff...they aren't very fun.

Back in the early college years I worked for a store that sold those t-shirts with all the dumb saying that high school kids thought were cool...ya know Big Johnson, Sly Foxx, (any sport) is Life, all the Bad Boy Club stuff...you know the shops...

Sales were so poor for the year the home office decided to close down for good.

I was a little mad at hearing this, since I put in 3 years there and had to work all the holiday shifts and ruddy sat and sunday shifts, and then I wouldn't have a job, but they gave me a choice. I'd become a manager till they closed the store, I'd get a small increase in pay, but not manager pay, or be laid off and get a small bonus check. To me it wasn't worth the headache and working every day didn't jazz me since I was in college so I opted for the laid off. Sort of sucked for a bit but I got a job at toys r us and a hockey rink a few weeks later.

It sort of sucks knowing the end is near. But I'm sure you'll find something soon.

bobafrett
08-07-2003, 12:13 AM
Well lets see if I can remember all the jobs that I've been laid off or have been fired from.

1. Jeremiah Sweeneys restaurant- laid off because they were closing

2. Fired from a small restaurant for not cleaning the mats

3. Comark printing- laid off as they invested a million dollars into a printing machine and had to cut back on labor

4. Franchise 7-Eleven-Fired, but rehired (I'll go into more detail on that)

5. Gris pottery- Laid off about 4 times when sales were down, finally quit after finding a job that made more money.

6. corporate owned 7-Eleven/Citgo Fired for allowing a customer to charge $800 worth of Cigarettes.......but it was a stolen credit card (I didn't know)(it was against policy to allow more than $30 in merchandise, yet the manager was doing it also)

7. Wal-Mart Fired for pushing a coworker who was up in my face

Well the Franchise 7-11, I worked overnights. I had used my son's moms car to get to work that night. She needed the car to get to work in the morning. I would watch my son while she worked. Anyway, there was a terrible snow/ice storm, and it took forever for my releif help to get there. I have my now ex calling, demanding I bring her car home. I finally locked up the front doors, and went out the back. The relief worker shows up to find the store locked up, and our morning coffee regulars waiting outside. The thing I didn't know was the owner didn't even have keys to get into his own store. He called me up screaming and fired me. I went back a couple weeks later and apoligized for being so stupid.

I should have been let go from the Y.M.C.A. that I have worked at part time for the last 8 years after I called in one saturday morning, saying I wouldn't be in, because I was intoxicated, and I was.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-07-2003, 01:15 AM
I can somewhat relate to y'all. Last February (2002), i was living in Columbus and called home to talk to my mom and my dad answered. I asked how come he wasn't out of town (he was supposed to be in the air by then, on business) and he got really quiet and handed the phone to my mom. It was then she told me that he had been fired that morning, without any sort of notice. Basically, he had been there for nearly 30 years and they were making cuts, and him, being there a while and making a fair amount of dollar, was fired. He was out of work for nearly 9 months and those weren't too tough. He got severence pay (sp?) and my mom is on disability due to some injuries and that helped us. After huntinga round for months and suffering through a bad economy, he found a job last winter and is there now. He works there during the week (north of columbus) and drives home (here) every weekend (20 miles N. of Dayton). It's not an easy road, especially for the older generation. He's a brilliant man in the area of math and accounting, but he had trouble due to his age (in his 50's) and needing X amount of money to support his family. We kids (3 of us, i'm the youngest @21) did what we could, sending them checks every few weeks to help out. My advice is just to have perseverance and send out those resume's! The economy isn't too good right now, but i think i read we're getting better, so thing's might be looking up.

Best of luck. :D

sith_killer_99
08-07-2003, 03:12 AM
I joined the Army shortly after high school and have decided to make it a career, so, no, I have never been laid off/fired.

However, my sister was fired about a year ago. She worked for a company doing accounting. The company hired someone to come in and teach her some new software. The lady looked at my sister at one point, while going over the numbers and asked her, "Have you ever heard of Enron." Translation...the company was over inflating the books to help their credit line with the bank.

My sister did some soul searching and told the company that she wouldn't over inflate the numbers anymore. So after 6 years of faithful service she was promptly fired.

She ended up taking what she knew to the Colorado State District Attorney's Office. They started an investigation.

Then she took 'em to court and won a bunch of money, when the Judge found that she had been wrongfully fired for refusing to lie about the companies finances. :D

seth_quinn
08-07-2003, 09:11 AM
sorry to hear about your woes DCM, hope you find something soon.

I got let go from the web design firm I was working for at the end of January. right after the bosses returned from a week in Vegas while I looked after their home and business. the reason being not enough cash flow. we had a messageboard for clients and I just happened upon my bookmark for it the other day so out of curiousity I clicked on it to see what had been going on. well, wasn't I greeted by a post and pic of my former boss and friend standing next to his new Benz. nice.

mabudonicus
08-07-2003, 11:36 AM
I lost a pretty cool job to free trade when I was younger.....
With my short temper, I usually am the one to cause the end in a heavy-metal, take-this-job-and-shove-it kinda way...... it makes life difficult sorta, but it makes for some golden reminiscence...
I hope everything goes smooth for ya, things are goofy rough for us right now but certain developments taking place could take care of things in an awesome way, I just gotta keep it together for long enough with some part-time slave, undetermined at this time...
On the bright side, at least you didn't get shuffled out the door after hurting yourself permanently like I did at my last job:(
SQ- that TOTALLY bites, you didn't tell that story when we met... it seems like you've kept it together pretty good, though, that's the beauty of having such a job, I guess... that's sort of my plan as well... if you don't have a "real" job, many of the things that can affect such situations mean a lot less
Good luck to all, and send some my way!!
\m/ :D \m/

scruffziller
08-07-2003, 02:24 PM
The nice thing about working at Wal Mart for almost 3 years is that they are going to do almost anything they can to make it so they don't fire you(especially if you have an exemplary reputatation of being a good worker), because of having to pay out unemployment. As long as you do a pretty average job and steer clear of management as much as possible(so they don't see any other mess ups) you are pretty well fine. Sometimes you will get a "passing through on his way to the top" assistant that will be a hard head about things and makes you feel a little uncomfortable(because you are not used to that kind of scrutiny). But if you do your best to stay on his/her good side(and show you mean it) you can pull through pretty well.:)

DarthChuckMc
08-07-2003, 09:30 PM
First off...

I want to sincerely THANK every one of you for your kind words, well wishes, and great stories.

Good news is...

I had orientation today, and walked out with my Target employee discount card.

I may start as early as Sunday....I have to wait for my new manager, which was my previous supervisor 3 years ago, to try and squeeze me in to the schedule.

Looks like I'll be back to 40 hours, and only $1 less than I was making driving a delivery truck and carrying fridges and big screens upstairs.

Thanks again everyone.

Any more stories of strife or hope?

Kidhuman
08-08-2003, 01:09 PM
WTG DCMC. Congrats on your new job. I need a bunch of figures. We will talk. :D

scruffziller
08-08-2003, 01:18 PM
First off...

I want to sincerely THANK every one of you for your kind words, well wishes, and great stories.

Good news is...

I had orientation today, and walked out with my Target employee discount card.

I may start as early as Sunday....I have to wait for my new manager, which was my previous supervisor 3 years ago, to try and squeeze me in to the schedule.

Looks like I'll be back to 40 hours, and only $1 less than I was making driving a delivery truck and carrying fridges and big screens upstairs.

Thanks again everyone.

Any more stories of strife or hope?
Cool dude!!!!! Don't worry, you'll be up to making what you were before in no time. When I quit the grocery store I worked at for 6 1/2 years, I took a paycut of 25 cents because in 90 days at WM I would get that back. The grocery store I worked at was a sweatshop. I was only making $2.50 more than what I made when I started. One time the Meat Coordiantor (because I worked in the meat department) came down and told them they had to give all of us a 75 cent raise. Plus 25 cents of my total payrate was given to me 3 weeks before I quit. They did that because they were afraid they were going to lose me because alot of other people were quitting and going to WM too. Less work, more pay. Those of you who know Iowa know the food store chain FAREWAY.