PDA

View Full Version : Luke jedi knight

rherk
08-06-2003, 02:07 PM
So, does anyone have an idea or good guess on when we will see pics of the new Jabbas palace Luke jedi knight?

I am both excited and nervous for this figure. I have enormous high standard.s It must be perfect cause I don't suspect we will see another one for some time. Luke jedi is by far my favorite character and costume in the entire Star Wars universe. My anticipation is what drove me to survive such terrible Saga figures.

It is such a wonderful and simple design yet so easy for Hasbro to screw up. First of all the face could be terrible, his vest could be that horrible tan color again (probably not). I assume he will be a nuetral pose which is great news. I am terrified that his hooded cloak will be the wrong color. There has been much debate on this but I am confident that it should be brown like in the original 1983 figure. I think it would look the best. The black one from the 1995 POtf2 didn't look right. I definitely hope they use plastic instead of cloth it displays and lasts better.

There is not one figure I am more passionate about. I expect to buy at least 10 of them. I did with the POTF2 one. It is a bit obsessive but to each his own, I guess.

Oh Gun and lightsaber are great but no need for those silly stands. I just throw them in a box anyway. I like to display my figures consistantly on black circle stands.

What can I say, I'm anal but I don't know too many collectors who aren't.

Anyone else with a Luke Jedi obsession who are concerned?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-06-2003, 04:24 PM
I think this one will be great! Hopefully though, they'll eventually make another ROTJ version, with lightsaber, binders, Endor Poncho and helmet, and two-piece helmet for his ol' dad.

Dark Marble
08-06-2003, 04:35 PM
I am hoping for the best too! I have a feeling that the figures that we will get next year will be something special. But I am looking forward to this figure and will be getting two or three myself.

shawnkeena
08-06-2003, 05:01 PM
I have seen the "blueprint" drawings of this figure on the hasbro site. He appears to be in a stance with his hands together, similar to the Supreme Chancelor Palpatine figure. Like he was when he telling Jabba to release his friends. The cape and hood will really determine how good the figure looks. A magnetic hand and the gun that he "force attracts" to his hand seems almost like a given.

DarthChuckMc
08-06-2003, 06:00 PM
here's the blueprint pic

TheDarthVader
08-06-2003, 06:34 PM
Oh, no! I hope his hands are not like the AOTC Chancellor Palpatine hands. Talk about limited use!

JEDIpartner
08-07-2003, 10:42 AM
It does read: "Left hand sculpted to hold blaster and saber."

Beast
08-10-2003, 05:42 PM
We'll we've seen him. There's a washed out picture from the slideshow in the coverage of the Q&A. But Scum was able to snap a better picture. He looks badarse. Lightsaber, blaster, and cloth cloak. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
08-10-2003, 05:50 PM
The cloak is crap but the figure looks okay. But as Hasbroken say themselves the nice hardcopy sculpt can be totally trashed by production methods so it may yet turn into a figure of the kid from Mask. At least it's a neutral stance though. kinda bland face though, should have a smug smirk on his face like he's giving Jabba some lip. The cloak sucks badly like all cloth accessories do. Looks no better than the vintage one really.

Old Fossil
08-10-2003, 06:03 PM
The new Luke Jedi looks fantastic! This will be THE definitive version of this figure. Love the sculpt, accessories, articulation, all of it. Thank the Lord they're giving him a removable cloth cloak instead of another dreadful black shell of plastic that will severly limit the figure's poseability and play value.

So many possible poses with this figure... dang, why couldn't they have released THIS Luke instead of that Throne Room Duel abomination???

Big H is finally getting back on track!

rherk
08-10-2003, 07:48 PM
Oh no! This is very bad That cloak looks like Sh@@! What isd up with that? It also looks like his vest is brown! Whats up with that?

Beast
08-10-2003, 08:34 PM
Oh no! This is very bad That cloak looks like Sh@@! What isd up with that? It also looks like his vest is brown! Whats up with that?
It actually appears to be a brown/grey. Which is the color it appears in the movie. The actual costume vest is brown, but the camera chages the vest color to grey/black when it's photographed. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
08-10-2003, 08:47 PM
Or more to the point the photographs are old and have yellowed with age. Restored prints of the movie should show his vest as grey when outdoors. The palace interior is lit with the standard blue and amber of movies, blue for the background and amber to gve the actors some colour in the faces. Both blue and amber light bleaches out the natural colours of costumes and props and distorts things, hence the argument over the Hoth coat han wears. The costume is brown but the blue filters used to film the scenes made his costume look blue. The amber of the palace made Luk'es vest appear brown in some shots. But that photo there is just an old discoloured shot or they used an amber filter to make the scene seem sunnier than it was because in Yuma there were clouds in the sky and the sky was pretty grey possibly. Tatooine is supposed to be a hot arid desert place and thus it all seems yellow. But either way luke's vest is actually grey - charcoal grey. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-10-2003, 08:55 PM
That figure is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!! His lightsaber is perfect, the blaster too! The cloak is okay, at least it's not molded either permanently up or down. What's the deal with the bases? I'd prefer they be clear instead, but they're, I guess, a welcome addition. :)

rherk
08-10-2003, 09:08 PM
I am pretty confident it should be dark grey. Either way dark grey looks better.

The cloak is intolerable! I can't accept it. It destroys this figure completely!

A huge dissappointment for me!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-10-2003, 09:24 PM
it looks quite nice!! I don't know what kind of cloak y'all were expecting, but we only have limited options here. We could have the cloth soft good cloak like we do here, or the plastic one like Mace Windu (Ep I line). either way, people are going to be unhappy. I like this one, but maybe if hasbro kinda made it, i dunno, less poofy or whatnot, it could be a tad better. Great figure in my opinion and WELL overdue!! rock on hasbro! :D

Old Fossil
08-10-2003, 09:38 PM
I am pretty confident it should be dark grey. Either way dark grey looks better.

The cloak is intolerable! I can't accept it. It destroys this figure completely!

A huge dissappointment for me!

SILENCE!!!

LOL...only kidding. Seriously, how would you have Hasbro fashion the cloak???

rherk
08-10-2003, 11:21 PM
If i was to do the cloak it would be in a rubbery sort of plastic. It fits in better with the rest of the Star Wars line and It looks better. The cloth does not lay right. It has no weight. Therefore makeing it look cheap and unrealistic.

I think sacrifising a little play value for looks is worth it.

And while they're at it, if his vest has to be brown, please do what is being done with Han hoth and make a dark grey version. Not only would the dark grey look better but it's definetely the color I see when i watch the movie, each and every time.

Teeska Mon Eebon
08-10-2003, 11:33 PM
Yeah the cloth ones poof out too much making it unrealistic and cheap "happy meal" looking quality

Master Plo- Koon
08-11-2003, 12:41 AM
I really like this figures, and its definately overdue. Plus they finally took the time to actually make Lukes lightsaber from ROTJ, actually look real, and detailed in the handle design.

JediTricks
08-11-2003, 01:46 AM
I'm just happy to FINALLY see a real version of Luke's ROTJ lightsaber as a figure accessory. I hope this all comes out well enough in production. Head sculpt seems a little "soft" to me, hopefully that's just the photos and not the actual toy but even if it is, it'll be somewhat forgiveable. As for cloth cloak, fine by me, couldn't care at all, if it's really bad, I'll swap it for the POTF2 version. Hope his vest is removable though.

amidalak
08-11-2003, 11:05 AM
i sense a division in the force over soft goods. i personnally dig them, and i like the cloak. i think this fig is pretty groovy with one exception, it doesn't appear to have ball jointed shoulders. we saw luke in this costume flip, slash, and stab, this is a figure that needs lots of articulation, especially ball jointed shoulders!!! every jedi fig should have ball jointed shoulders!!!

rherk
08-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Doesn't anyone else have an issue with the brown vest!!!! It looks so wrong. I hope it just looks brown in that crappy projector picture. Just looking at the new 12 inch Luke jedi with brown vest, it looks so inaccurate.

JEDIpartner
08-11-2003, 11:26 AM
Maybe it WAS brown... but not as brown as the picture makes it appear. If the vest portion were brown, it would like a reverse version of Anakin's Jedi gear!

Anyhow... maybe I'm waxing nostalgic but the soft goods cloak reminds me of the vintage version. This is a great figure. I hope they don't mess it up in production.

aceguide
08-11-2003, 05:20 PM
It looks great. Highly anticipated by this collector.

TheDarthVader
08-11-2003, 07:36 PM
I like soft goods. Do the people that dislike soft goods not remember the awesome cape on the power of the jedi Lando? Did that cape look cheap ? I do not understand how anyone could not like the potj bespin escape Lando cape. Maybe the best cape ever. This Luke's cape could have the same quality. Anything is possible.

rherk
08-11-2003, 10:16 PM
I agree the Lando cape was very nice. However, even though the pic looks fuzzy, the cloak looks way oversized. I may be able to accept the cloth cape if they size it better but the brown color vest is still a major issue with me.

jpak001
08-11-2003, 10:58 PM
The figure looks fantastic to me! I can't wait to get it.

Although I will be ditching the fabric cloak...... Never was a fan of the fabric capes/cloaks on smaller figures. Like rherk said, they have no weight and usually up looking loose and poofy (POTJ Lando excepted ;) ). They usually just don't hang right.

I commend Hasbro on this figure, great job!! But an updated plastic cape would have made this the ultimate Jedi Luke figure for me.

Skywalker3319
08-13-2003, 09:19 PM
My favorite character from StarWars was Luke Skywalker. None the less,my favorite 'version' of him,so to speak,was Jedi Knight. Like a collector said before in this post, he was a bit anal about this character, as am I. I bought about 7-10 of the 95 POTF II figure, I bought about 3 Final Jedi Duels, and I bought all the loose Jedi Luke figures that were deluxe (i.e.skiff, the tatooine planet one,the rancor one ect.) The one I had always wanted was the Death Star II, and I really do adore this figure(the Throne Room Duel), I have one opened already, and then I have two mint in the box on star cases(one incorrected hand,one corrected, and I plan to purchase more.) This new Jedi Luke, it is simply amazing. I love the Saber detail, its great to see they got it right. Nice pose, neutral stance, I like the soft-goods cloak(reminds me of the vitage, of which I have on moc and one opened) The blaster is a nice affect as well. The figures that have always kept me hooked on collecting were the Luke's, and like I said before, I love the TRD one, and I really do like this new one comming out. I cant wait to get it. Now only if the vest can come off...... :D

plasticfetish
08-14-2003, 07:10 AM
Seriously, how would you have Hasbro fashion the cloak???
This one looks fine. I've never been completely sold on the rubber beef jerky looking capes that we've been getting for so long. (But, I do understand how some people like their toys to look like little frozen in time statues.) For sure, they've turned out a few cloth items that have been below par ... but I love this idea. I've always thought that cloth done right makes the figure seem a little more deluxe. (I too love the fact that it has a vintage sort of feel to it.)

I'm pretty surprised by this. It looks really good and I'm looking forward to this one in particular. I do hope that they tighten up the sculpt on the face just a little, seems a bit too round. Other than that all I can say is ... right on!

aceguide
08-14-2003, 10:09 AM
I've been thinking about the soft goods issue, especially with this figure.

The OB1 Pilot fig is exactly what I do not like about cloth. Bulky. Blah.

I would be fine with a cloak like the Endor Accessory pack. It even has a little elastic to help it fit better. There's also the soft good from the vader with interrogation droid which would seem to be a good option as well.

I do prefer the idea of soft goods, but would rather see them put some work into it.

Skywalker3319
08-14-2003, 01:41 PM
Me personally, Im really likin this figure, its lookin sweet as hell. Cant wait to pick it up. The soft goods and the blaster really gives it that vintage feel, and when it comes out, Im not gonna get it offline, but goto the stores to find it, because itll be just like my searches for the POTF II Jedi Luke. I cant wait, excellent job Hasbro,just please dont f**k i up!!

Thanks all!

yngadult
08-14-2003, 02:28 PM
Now that's my ideal Jedi Luke. I love the neutral stance. He's versatile enough to hold a blaster and saber. The stand is a plus as I plan to display my figs. loose. I'm very glad he does not have those "action features" with silly buttons. As for the cape, I'd lean more on the plastic variety, but the cloth may actually work.
His vest color may be movie accurate but I think it looks cool being all black. This is a small matter, so, I'm definitely buying this one when it comes out. Finally, his face looks a lot better than the buck tooth variety.

joe-da
08-14-2003, 08:00 PM
They have Luke set up to hold his gun in his left hand, but in the movie Luke grabs the gun and holds it in his right hand.

Skywalker3319
08-18-2003, 08:14 AM
With the hands, I think their goin for the pose where hes in front of jabba, and hes all like 'Hey, Jabba, Im a bad *** and Im here to save my friends, so what are you gonna do about it?' Its gonna be cool though, I cant wait.