PDA

View Full Version : Another scarry thought (heart be still)...

INDIANA
11-24-2001, 02:45 PM
We were all kind of expecting the Teebo wave next year to be the series enders and difficult to get. What if we thought wrong and the scarcity of POTJ series enders begins with the FX-7 wave?
No one has seen them at retail and it's probably the best time of year to do so. Wal-Mart doesn't officially carry the things any more. Target and K-Mart are sitting on enough Ketwals to put an end to any new orders being placed. TRU has been a joke for a year. This has happened before, where figures that were going to be of regular distribution have gone scarce (Death Star Trooper, Ree-Yees, Dark Trooper, etc.).
I hope I'm not too paronoid with this ending quote:

"I have a bad feeling about this."

Jargo
11-24-2001, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't worry if they don't show. Give ittime and there'll be shedloads of them showing up as everyone clears them out to make way for the episode two stuff. Remember the panic over the swimmy Jar Jar? look what happened, case loads showed up dirt cheap on clearance. A bit late admittedly but they still showed up. If you're patient and don't give in to scalper hyped panic then you'll find them sure enough. :)

INDIANA
11-24-2001, 03:07 PM
I would not go as far as to assume they are producing these figures in the numbers they did with Jar-Jar. He was produced when Hasbro still thought EI would be big, then caseloads of him sat in a warehouse for a year until he showed up clearance at TRU. I think the production numbers for the last 9 POTJ are low, problem low and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people go needy of some of these. Stores can't put on clearance what they haven't ordered, or short ordered in the first place.

TheBigSloppy
11-24-2001, 09:57 PM
Just ordered this wave earlier in the week from toyzz.com (I think it's these guys). The price was $6.99 ea. It appears they are now out of stock. . .

INDIANA
11-26-2001, 01:26 PM
More fodder...

try ordering the FX-7 wave from someplace on line...I seem to see a lot of places no longer accepting new pre-orders.

OC47150
11-26-2001, 02:39 PM
Didn't we hear that some of the other waves were going to be short but they turned out to be plentiful? I'll take my chances in the stores.

Wolfwood319
11-26-2001, 03:33 PM
I think these last few waves will be fairly easy to find. They won't be pegwarmers, but they won't be as impossible as Tessek wave was. The holidays are coming up, and they want as much product on the shelves as possible.

Just keep your eyes open and check a few times a week at your local stores.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-27-2001, 03:57 PM
Yeah, don't worry about it. The scalpers will have plenty to sell to us at inflated prices. Wasn't it Apu who said, "Do not worry, you will all have a chance to be gouged." ?

INDIANA
11-27-2001, 06:24 PM
I am sorry to have to keep referring to our own history with these figures and pointing out the negatives. Think back 2 years ago at this time when the Holo-Sidious and Naboo Royal Guard were to come out. Yeah I saw them, ONCE at retail, and then there were none (at reasonable prices anyway). Those figures weren't even series enders AND the line was still being carried by every retail store!
I also realize that I do not want to be the one standing alone screaming that the sky is falling. Bottom line, what I hope to point out to everyone is BUY these things when (if) you see them. I truely don't believe you'll get a second chance.

Wolfwood319
11-27-2001, 08:39 PM
I buy new stuff the first time I see it.

But the end of POTJ is not the same as EI. When the EI line was out, there were so many figs out, that Hasbro was reluctant to produce upcoming waves in larger numbers. With POTJ, the numbers all around have not been very high, and retailers are starting to put the E1 disaster behind them. Plus the holidays are coming up, and Hasbro wants to put out as much as they can sell.

They won't be pegwarmers, but they'll be out there. Or you can wait 4 years, I just picked up a POTF2 Zuckuss, Ishi Tib, and RH vader for $10 at a con.

JediMaster
11-29-2001, 04:44 AM
I gotta side with INDIANA on this one. I've lost count of the number of times I passed on something, only to have never seen it again, resulting in a thorough self-depricating tirade and flogging. "GET IT WHILE YOU CAN" should be the mantra of all SW collectors, though by now, most of us have a feel for what will be scarce, and what will sit and eventually go on clearance.
Example: "How much would you pay for this Death Star Trooper I got? Fifty bucks!?!?! Now how much would you pay me for this 12" Dewback?... Not even $30?..." I rest my case.

jedi master sal
11-29-2001, 11:40 AM
I always get new stuff the first time. The only exception, to which I will never forgive myself, is when I saw the 6" Ewok at Wal*Mart. I didn't have the money on me and I was with my fiancee's mother at the time. (I would have been very uncomfortable with asking her to get it for me until I could pay her back).

My biggest prooblem is not buying enough army builders when I find them, thinking that hasbro has made many of them and I can build later.

Pellaeon
11-30-2001, 05:04 PM
I agree with the get it now approach. However, when failing to get it now, be patient and don't pay scalpers prices.

MOST items will eventually come around, but there always seems to be a few that are chronically hard to get. Case in point, the Bibble wave is still scarce. But the jury is not out on that yet, it could hit big time still.

In regards to the FX7 wave, I have observed a number of individuals really chomping at the bit for this wave. The fact is that for all intents and purposes, it hasn't even hit the retail stores yet. I'm sure it will come.

OC47150
11-30-2001, 05:12 PM
I haven't felt the need to buy from a scalper for several years. It be exact, the last time was at the Star Wars Celebration in '99. With age, I think I'm patient enough to wait and see if it shows up in the stores before paying an inflated price. Even if I do have to cough up that big price, I'd prefer to pay it to one of the local comic/specialty stores than a scalper.

There are enough honest people on SSG's to help fellow fans out. I know in the past year alone several who have bought the $1.97 holo R2s and Wuhrers when they show up at their TRUs or other stores.