PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Announces: R1-G4, R2-D2: Bartender, Rappertunie!!!

Beast
08-09-2003, 05:33 PM
If you didn't see it on the front page, prepare to dance for joy. Another of the Fan Choice Figure losers is being produced. Along with an often requested version of everyone's favorite Astromech Droid. And the harmonica playing frog. Damn, 2004 is gonna be an expensive and great year for Star Wars fans. Might be the best year ever. After all, this blows away the POTJ line so far even. Atleast in my opinion. :D

HASBRO SAGA: New Figs & More News From Hasbro Q&A Session

2 highly-requested droids (sorry, not R5-D4 though) and a harmonica player were just announced.

This news comes straight from the floor of the 2003 Chicago Wizard World convention, from the "Playing with Hasbro" Q&A session that just wrapped up. A few new Star Wars figures were announced, specifically:

R1-G4 (the 6'-tall astromech droid seen in ANH)

R2-D2 with drink tray (as seen in ROTJ)

Rappertunie (the Shawda Ubb harmonica player in the Max Rebo band as seen in ROTJ: Special Edition)

Other news from the Hasbro Q&A: Clone Wars Kit Fisto will have articulated ankles and ball-jointed shoulders to make him look like he's swimming; Hasbro announced that there will be no 12" Clone Wars figures; and the newest Saga packaging with the gold border will continue for 2004.

After the Q&A session, SirSteve got a moment to talk with Hasbro, who said that the Jabba the Hutt coming out next year will be from ROTJ, rather than ANH:SE or the prequels.

Stay tuned for more coverage of the 2003 Chicago Wizard World convention.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks!!

Banthaholic
08-09-2003, 05:57 PM
SWEET!!!
R2 Bartender has been on my want list for a LONG time, and R1 will be awesome!

droidekas2
08-09-2003, 07:20 PM
R1-G4!!!

Awesome! That has been my most wanted droid since I was a kid. Lets hope they get his size right. Big is good.

Jargo
08-09-2003, 07:44 PM
Rappertunie is a lot bigger than I thought. He'll be bigger than a podracer figure probably and then there's his combined water organ and flute accessory that he'll be sculpted to sit on. He should be a quite impressive little guy.
BAR2-D2 will be a figure I'll wait for clearance sales before buying him unless he comes with something extra.
But R1-G4 is well worth the wait then. Like droidekas2 I've wanted this guy since I was a kid and it's great news that he's finally being made. Wonder what articulation he'll have? Rotating head obviously, perhaps some extending arms? wheels in his base so he can trundle around? An extending head? power coupling cables and industrial tools? It's gonna be good to have him though.

Kidhuman
08-09-2003, 07:50 PM
That sounds sweet. I am happy that Jabba is ROTJ. BAR2-D2(I like that Jargo) is a long awaited figure. A 6 foot astromech droid aounds pretty good. I hope they size him right. The frog harmonica dude is nice. Ijust need the rest of the band now.

TheDarthVader
08-09-2003, 08:31 PM
A Rappertunie? Did you say a rappertunie? LOL! I thought that Hasbro would NEVER make this guy. YESSS! He will go nicely with my set of Max Rebo Band pairs (Wal-Mart exclusives).
R1-G4...are they serious? It is about time! They had better make him big! I will be disappointed if he is R2's size.
BAR2-D2...cool. IF I find these I will pick up one of each!

JJB, I agree with you. 2004 is looking the be the best year ever for
Star Wars toys. Think about all of the classic figures we have wanted for a long time that we are getting...Dodonna, Antilles, Rieekan, R1, (Special Edition) Rappertunie, and Dignitaries. YESSSSS! I had better start saving some $$$$$$$$$$$$$

InsaneJediGirl
08-09-2003, 09:05 PM
Rappertunie and R1 very awesome!BAR2-D2 sounds very nice as well,at least we are finally seeing one put into production.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-09-2003, 09:47 PM
Rappertunie?! YAY! :D

Rogue II
08-09-2003, 10:02 PM
...and there was much rejoicing. Yeah!

Isn't Rappertuine a little small to be by himself? He better come with a bunch of accessories.

Tycho
08-09-2003, 10:11 PM
I'm very happy.

R1-G4 I've wanted ever since they had him in a fan poll (lost to Ephant Mon I believe - which we all lived quite comfortably with).

I don't care if he does nothing or has no moving parts IF AND ONLY IF they could double pack him with even another droid - even if it's RA-7 (repainted DS Droid from Sandcrawler). Or an R5-D4 for all of you that want HIM so bad. R1 is basically a prop, so I'd maximize the pack-in potential with him, and I don't mean another Jawa!

Rappertune is a surprise - but a great one.

A while back, SirSteves did a very comprehensive poll for characters from Jabba the Hutt's.

About 6 out of the 12 characters vied very closely for the top votes.

They ranked:

1) Yarna Dal Garan (fat dancer)
2) Hermie Odel (the uh...blood drooling whatever)
3) Bubo the frog-dog
4) J'Quille (the Whipid who Hasbro's main designer wants to do very badly!)
5) RAPPERTUNE
6) Sgt. Doallyn (tank head guard, that furry hands throw when Boussh enters)

You can review of 831 of you all voted on that poll and see their pictures here:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15355

Rappertune tied with Sgt. Doallyn, and they were the tail-end of the successful vote-getters from Jabba's Palace.

This gives me strong hope that 2004 will have us see so many characters from Jabba's that I've always wanted, including as many of the Top 12 pictured at the link above as possible. Woof is a vintage figure never even modernized (Kenner's original Klaatu).

Man this rings like good news!

Beast
08-09-2003, 10:20 PM
...and there was much rejoicing. Yeah!

Isn't Rappertuine a little small to be by himself? He better come with a bunch of accessories.
It could be a 2-pack with Bubo. Since Bubo was on the rumor list for 2004 also. That would make the most sense, atleast to me. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
08-09-2003, 10:42 PM
It could be a 2-pack with Bubo. Since Bubo was on the rumor list for 2004 also. That would make the most sense, atleast to me. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

That would be cool. I didn't hear about the Bubo rumor.

badtaste
08-10-2003, 03:10 AM
R1-G4 has been confirmed. To me it means that the Sandcrawler is defenately coming too! I wonder what accesoires they will include.

Beast
08-10-2003, 03:47 AM
Already being discussed. And he wasn't the only figure confirmed. *points down a few posts* :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20679

As for the Sandcrawler, yes it's coming. It was confirmed in the Hasbro Q&A also. It will include the Jawa from the Ronto and a repaint of the Death Star Droid to make him RA-7. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
08-10-2003, 08:52 AM
Galactic Hunter says the Sandcrawler will come with three figures now.

evenflow
08-10-2003, 09:28 AM
You know for the first time in a long time I am excited for Star Wars again. I am relieved to hear that Jabba will be from ROTJ. Awesome news about Rappurtine, I have wanted him since the special edition. The Sandcrawler news is awesome too. Luke in Jedi gear looks cool. All i need to hear now that Yarna Da'l Gargan is comign with Jabba and I'd be in heaven.

BoShek
08-10-2003, 10:35 AM
This is great news! Wait, I'll never see these figures in the store :cry:

Turbowars
08-10-2003, 10:57 AM
Great news for use OT lovers!! Hey, R1 will be as tall as the crappy Sandcrawler. R2 is very welcome as long as he comes with glasses, but Rapper I can give a crap about. The SE screwed up the whole feeling of Jabba. As for Jabba coming with a new figure, you can forget it guys, the price point shows that.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-10-2003, 11:29 AM
This is great!!!!!!!!! I've wanted bartender R2 and Rappertunie for a long time, and R1 will be cool as hell too!!! I just hope they can start making good R2-D2s again, wiht the blue stripe around his head and the proper chrome dome. Hopefully, while I doubt it, he can come with a pop-up saber (just the hilt) that can be much better than the flashback one.

Last night, I saw the original cut of ROTJ for the first time, oh God Jabba's band really sucked. :dead: Good thing we're getting more people to make the new one, now off to eBay to get the rest of the Wal-Mart packs . . .

mylow thehutt
08-10-2003, 04:51 PM
They should pack Rappertunie with the big drumbs guy forgot his name
and they could be the 4th pack to max rebo band pairs.

Jargo
08-10-2003, 04:58 PM

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar BinksYou do know how big Rappertunie is don't you? he isn't some tiny squit of a character like Salacious B. Crumb, he's a hefty guy, about the same size as Joh Yowza if he was stood up. Plus he's on that water organ which won't be tiny either. The set will compare with Yoda and council chair. And considering that people were quite prepared to plonk down the readies for that there should be no problem with people plonking down the readies for a single packed band member and his large organ. :p

I'm telling you this set is not much bigger than a yoda set, the Yoda w/ chair, Yoda with Geonosian hangar thingy, Yoda clone wars with hover command post, Yoda and Chian, all small sets and Rappertunie should be bigger than all of them. Rappertunie's head is human sized. He aint little as people think.

Beast
08-10-2003, 05:05 PM
They should pack Rappertunie with the big drumbs guy forgot his name
and they could be the 4th pack to max rebo band pairs.
Wouldn't work, the drum and cymbels set is way to big to fit on a card together. I'm betting it's Bubo and Shwada Ubb. There's always hope for Ak-Rev and Umpass-Stay as a Deluxe Set. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
08-10-2003, 05:18 PM
Very true Jargo, he's not tiny. But he is small. I doubt he's going to be more then a glorified pack-in figure. And I think Hasbro will pack him with someone. Especially with the size of the current bubbles.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
08-10-2003, 05:30 PM
The photos are deceptive. He's as high as a normal figure's waist when sitting on his instrument. That's bigger than any Yoda. If hasbro can pack a single Yoda or astro droid and get away with it i can't see Rappertunie being a mere pack in or having anything packed in with him. To fill the bubbl;e the just pack two items diagonally like the Jedi kids. Rappertunie one corner and the organ on it's side with the top facing front and the bubble is apparently full of product. I'll bet you a Naboo royal guard that it's packed how I describe. :)

JediTricks
08-11-2003, 12:27 AM
Jargo, Rappertunie is listed on SW.com as being only .3 meters tall, that's shorter than Yoda's height of .66 meters. I guess Shawda Ubbs don't use those legs to stand.

Personally, I was super jazzed when Steve told me the news on the first 2, but I actually had to look up the 3rd one because I didn't know what a Shawda Ubb was (boy was I disappointed when I found out :D).

Anyway, glad I could help bring this news to you guys! :cool:

Jargo
08-11-2003, 11:25 AM
I was referring to his height when he's sat on the musical water organ thing. As a set that would be similar in height to a Yoda with council chair or the Yoda with flaoting command station from the clone wars line that are packed as single figures and cost the same as normal figures. I don't doubt the actual height of the character without the seat. I'm not saying he himself is taller but is taller when seated. see? Single packed sold seperately with no pack in or not as a pack in. Unless by some miracle hasbro have been reading the massive Yarna thread in dear hasbro and will have Rappertunie be a pack in with Yarna. That would be sweet but i won't hold my breath and instead I'll expect Rappertunie to be packed on his lonesome.

droidekas2
08-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Yes, and it mentions a cz droid. That would be great. 2004 seems to be the year of the droids!!

JediTricks
08-11-2003, 11:19 PM
Jargo, I see what you mean, but his little stand is only half as tall as he is (though the pic JJB found on SW.com makes him look more than 1 foot tall to me). When I figured out who he was, my first instinct was that he was going to be packed in with R2, but I double-checked with Steve to be sure and it's not how it was presented.

TheDarthVader
08-12-2003, 12:58 PM
I know this is off subject but for the sake of not starting a new thread, could someone tell me the name of the droid that is seen in front of R4-M9 in ANH? He looks like an R2 unit and is gray in color (mostly). I wish Hasbro would make him sometime...he's an imperial droid...and that means....

HE'S COOL

Beast
08-12-2003, 01:11 PM
I know this is off subject but for the sake of not starting a new thread, could someone tell me the name of the droid that is seen in front of R4-M9 in ANH? He looks like an R2 unit and is gray in color (mostly). I wish Hasbro would make him sometime...he's an imperial droid...and that means....

HE'S COOL
According to Decipher, his name is R2-Q2. Here's a picture of the Decipher card. And I agree, his color pattern would make him a much welcome addition to our droid armies. Here's also some links to some better pictures of the droid. Plus the great thing about making him, is that he'll double for the un-named R2 unit with the same color pattern in Biggs' X-Wing. :)

http://www.astromech.net/gallery/astromechs/R2-Q2.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
08-12-2003, 01:45 PM
Getting back to the Thunder drum and the Bantoomian klesplong and Drumheller harp that Ak Rev and Umpass Stay play in the Max Rebo band, They could do the set like a screen scene as a super deluxe set and finish off the band in style.Big accessories, Hollow drum and two figures. They could even box it up with a Yarna figure and shove it out like the Imperial forces or Hoth battle sets, which would make it cool especially if they threw in a core character too like Boushh or even Han in carbonite. But I would say that because I'm one of the lucky ones who bagged all the Rebo band pairs. So naturally I'd want to complete the band and have the final (largest) palace dancer too. Multipacking would be the easiest way to do it.

R2-Q2? I'd rather have the white R5 unit with the black head that wanders round Echo base. Anything for one decent sculpt of an R5 droid. Just a good sculpt so that i can customise the paint deco and have many different R5 droids because I'm so bored of R2 droids. We're getting an R1 and we have R2's and R3's and R4's but no R5's unless you count the star tours thing and the missile firing POTF2 thing. The star tours R5 is one type that is hardly ever seen but we need a good R5 like R5-D4 with the three optic sensors across his dome. The kind of R5 seen regularly throughout the star wars galaxy. Hasbro says he's on their 'to do' list. But quite frankly he should be on a 'must do' list. Stop with the R2's and make with the R5's!