PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Action Feature-NOOOOOO!!!!!!

amidalak
08-09-2003, 06:48 PM
Did anyone else notice in the Q&A with SSG that Hasbro is bringing back action features in '05 for ep. 3? After the outrage from the ep. 2 figs you'd think they'd have learned their lesson. With all the great stuff shown at the 'Con and WW, I thought maybe they had finally figured out what a great action figure is. Why, Hasbro, why?

Battle Droid
08-09-2003, 06:54 PM
When will Hasbro learn? :rolleyes:

Beast
08-09-2003, 06:58 PM
Read the whole thing. I don't think we'll see the full spread of Action Features like E2. Remember that the CloneTrooper's Firing Cannon and Luke's Removable Hand are considered Action Features as well. :)

Q: Will the 2005 Episode 3 figures have action features or be regular figures?

A: Hasbro is trying to keep both kids and collectors happy, so like the Saga line, some figures will have action features and some won't. Sometimes, the features come off very well in the pre-production stage, but not as well with the actual production pieces. When this happens, they try to change features that don't work as the pre-production testing led them to expect in mid-run. A good example of this is Luke Bespin's magnetic wrist being changed to a plastic peg in the middle of the run.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
08-09-2003, 07:36 PM
GRRRRRRRRR anyway. Just don't buy them and send them a message they can't refuse. I'm not buying anything that has the same kind of button activated or leg squeezing feature again. I'll wait for the best sculpt before buying a single core character. Pick and choose. If I end up not buying much from EPIII it'll mean I can spend all my lolly on other companies more sympthetic to collectors ALL THE TIME stuff. Regular breaks from buying star wars will keep it fresh for me and allow me to objectify what I buy and don't. It'll also mean less moolah for the big boys though.
But the sad thing is that everyone who says they won't buy a stupid action feature ladened figure always does and so hasbro get the dough in the end. Lucas gets his cut of our souls.
I'm determined that this time I'm breaking free of my adiction thank god. If it weren't for Muppets and LOTR I'd be a star wars junky still.

Kidhuman
08-09-2003, 07:47 PM
I dont care if it has a removeable handor firing cannon. Its those stupid gun swinging arms and slashing lightsaber action features I dispise. I also don't like action posed figures. I like the good old fashioned neutral poses of yesteryears. They look alot better. Allhasbro needs todo is add articulation into the neutral poses and it will be good. Scene specific poses with dumb action features hurt the diorama builders. If they want toput sction features on figures and pose themfor scene specifics, then produce the entire scenethey go to, not just two of the 15+ figures that were in the scene.

JediTricks
08-10-2003, 11:58 PM
JJB, I believe they meant action features within the figures themselves.

Beast
08-11-2003, 12:33 AM
Well, the answer includes Luke's removable hand as an action feature. So I'll atleast try to remain hopeful for 2005. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
08-11-2003, 12:51 AM
That was only an example of how they try to fix things that don't work as well during production as they tested in pre-production. It really had no direct bearing on the question of whether the features were coming back or what kind of features to expect, it was more to ensure that Hasbro tries to take care of problems that arise with features even after the product has already hit market.

jedihunter25
08-11-2003, 01:05 AM
Some action features are good- like the Luke with removeable hand. It's the action poses, grunting faces, and the big button sticking out of backs that I don't like.

plasticfetish
08-11-2003, 02:12 AM
Just don't buy them and send them a message they can't refuse. I'm not buying anything that has the same kind of button activated or leg squeezing feature again. I'll wait for the best sculpt before buying a single core character. Pick and choose. If I end up not buying much from EPIII it'll mean I can spend all my lolly on other companies more sympathetic to collectors ALL THE TIME stuff. Regular breaks from buying star wars will keep it fresh for me and allow me to objectify what I buy and don't.
I'll second that.

Most of the current (questionable) stuff I've either skipped or waited until I've seen it at KB for two dollars. Nothing wrong with being selective. If nothing good comes along for a bit then there's time and money to spend on the better items from the past 7+ years that I've held off on. Though I'll say ... I'm going to remain optimistic about these future "action features".

Tycho
08-11-2003, 03:53 AM
Oh Cool! There's so much we don't know about Darth Vader's bionic enhancements!

I can't wait for the one where you press a button on Vader's back and his chest pannel pops open to reveal a proton torpedo laucher!

Maybe it'll shoot when you squeeze his legs!

And then to keep with the grinning figures, there will be the new Han Solo with moving jaw (remeniscent of the old EV-9D9 figure) where you move a giant, obvious lever on the back of Han's head to simulate his mouth moving and saying something sarcastic! Kids will really want that feature!

JarJar with a lever to shoot his tongue will be a much needed resculpt!

Yoda will have this clear plastic loop around him that his lightsaber hilt is attached to. By turning Yoda's head 360 degrees, his lightsaber will move around him like he's using the Force to control it! Demon worshippers will love this one!

Luke Bacta will be resculpted like Total Control Mace Windu, and the giant knob on his back will help simulate Luke's spasms in the medical tank! This figure will win the hearts of parents.

From the scene where Leia meets Wicket, there will be a "helmet removing action" for Leia Endor. Similar to the button on the current Boba Fett that causes his arms to move, pressing a button on Leia's back causes her to throw her helmet at Ewoks!

These and so many more figures with action features would be so cool!

Maybe even Captain Antilles will have a know on his back to make him grip his throat, or kids could pretend Vader is using the Force to make Colton punch himself in the face repeatedly if they made his feature work as good as Obi-Wan Acklay attack!

[Who here thinks I'm still serious?]

Geeze I hope the nightmare I just described could not get any worse, but I fear it will!

plasticfetish
08-11-2003, 04:15 AM
Maybe it'll shoot when you squeeze his legs!
Now that's an action feature!

I do like the Luke Bacta idea ... though I think it should work more like a lava lamp. As it heats up ...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-11-2003, 08:26 AM
Maybe they can make a "Luke and Leia: Hoth Makeout" figure 2-pack and we can have a luke in his fatigue outfit w/ chair and Leia in her Hoth thing. The action feature can be leia pulling herself towards Luke. The background diorama could be the shocked expression on Han and Chewie's face! I can't wait!!! :crazed:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-11-2003, 03:38 PM
If there are any more conventions this year, someone should try to get the specifics. Do they mean firing weapons and break-off arms or spasm swinging action? Maybe if we find out there is going to be more action features like with buttons and such, we could start a petition. Maybe plaguing the Hasbro calling office with cryptic messages, or just writing them telling them features suck. Oh well.

TheDarthVader
08-11-2003, 06:30 PM
This is not good news. Hasbro never learns from the past. WE DON'T WANT ACTION FEATURES! THEY STINK! :(

darthzirock
09-05-2003, 02:19 AM
Ooooh! How about a whole series of Luke & Leia Screen Scenes that have a Sister-Kissing action feature??? You can have "Death Star Swing" with Leia-leaning-into-Luke feature. "Hoth Make-Out Session," where Leia grabs both sides of Luke's head and latches onto his mouth like a starved remora on a Great White! And don't forget "Death Star Blew Up Real Good!", where Luke calls Leia "Carrie!" just before she plants yet another wet-one on him! OK, I don't think he gets the lip-lock in ROTJ, but there's always "Swinging from Jabba's Sail Barge" Luke & Leia, with "getting a really good look at what's stuffing this metal bikini top" action feature!

OK, does anyone else thing George Lucas was just a wee bit too eager to add this incest subtext to the Original Trilogy??? I'm surprised we didn't get more Anakin/Padme make-out sessions in AOTC--oh, yeah, they're not blood relations! Silly me! :stupid:

plasticfetish
09-05-2003, 11:00 AM
oh, yeah, they're not blood relations! Silly me! :stupid:
Well, they could be ... who knows? It seems to be a pretty small galaxy.