PDA

View Full Version : If you're gonna build a new Sandcrawler...

stad
08-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Okay, I've been reading here and there about what people think if their is going to be a new Sandcrawler. And while I thought, yeah, it should be bigger, I didn't realize what an understatement that was since I never had one and it's been a while since I seen one. Yes, I realize practically all ships are out of scale out of necessity, and I like that Hasbro tries to balance it out and keep them kind of in scale with each other (to some degree anyway.) The Dagobah X-Wing, for example, is great as a stand-alone piece, but with everything else, now all your TIE's and the Falcon are way out of scale.
Anyways, my friend own a comic shop in town, and he has a Tattoine diorama in the shop, and WOW that Sandcrawler is just pitiful! It is not just too small, it is way too small. So, here is my suggestion, and I'm sure everyone will weigh in with their thoughts too (that's the idea!)
Make it substantially larger and leave the majority of assembly to the purchaser, just like with the old GI Joe toys in the 80's. You could have a relatively thin package (since packaging and shipping eat a lot of the toy cost up, plastic is pretty cheap), with a few big panels, some treads that attach separately, and even some interior pieces you snap in as you assemble, and basically everyone can get what they want.
You can get nicely detailed and decoed exterior, large like it should be sandcrawler, opening hatches, and a price point that's not too high so Hasbro can sell more, and recover their R & D costs and make a profit more quickly! Okay, maybe not everyone gets what they want, I still don't see rubber treads due to the expense, but a lot more people would be happy I think. Just my two cents worth, I guess.

Turbowars
08-10-2003, 11:04 AM
No you are 100% correct. The only problem is that Hasbro makes toys only for kids and don't care about the people that really want to buy their product.

Kidhuman
08-10-2003, 12:15 PM
I remember back in the vintage line, evrything was assembly required. The Falcon, Jabbas throne room, Hoth set, Tatooine set, etc etc etc. They should go back to this. They can pack more into a smaller box and lessen the cost to the buyer. You are 100% correct like Turbowars stated.

Jargo
08-10-2003, 05:37 PM
Even if hasbro retool the body and put on proper tank treads they won't make it any bigger than the vintage one or only just slightly bigger. They didn't make the new retooled Slave-1 any bigger so they won't with this. Which is why it's packing with three figures, to sweeten the deal so to speak. The only major changes i'm expecting to see is the front loading bay door being an opening door and the gap between the two treads being filled with undercarriage and some steps to the inside added in for the jawas. New stickers in the cockpit and the new dirty paing deco. Structurally they won't do anything inside that's different to the vintage version. It'd cost too much and retailers wouldn't want it. It's technically quite a boring vehicle, not got guns or action fetures besides the droid elevator. It doesn't really have a massive exposure in the movie or do much of anything exept sit there. It's only as a nod to us collectors that it's coming at all. More of the same is what I expect to see. little changes but nothing major.

JediTricks
08-11-2003, 12:19 AM
I like the "build it yourself" idea, but Hasbro seems to be heading away from that due to safety reasons. Now they "drop-test" everything to ensure they won't get a lawsuit when some little dimwit smashes his toy on the front porch, pokes himself in the eyes with the sharp end, and swallows as much of the toy as possible.

jedi master sal
08-12-2003, 11:31 AM
I like the "build it yourself" idea, but Hasbro seems to be heading away from that due to safety reasons. Now they "drop-test" everything to ensure they won't get a lawsuit when some little dimwit smashes his toy on the front porch, pokes himself in the eyes with the sharp end, and swallows as much of the toy as possible.

So why not put a "For ages 20 and over" or "Collectors only toy". That'd teach those dimwitted kids not to play with this and keep parents from buying it, so we collectors can get it. (Just kidding here)

I agree with stad, turbowars, and kidhuman. I like the idea of a "Build it Yourself Sandcrawler" in smaller packaging.

JediTricks
08-13-2003, 12:21 AM
If only! Hasbro has this crazy idea that toys are for kids though, even though they are less than half the SW market right now. :p

yngadult
08-14-2003, 06:11 PM
Somehow, I don't think this will be a big seller.

Turbowars
08-14-2003, 06:39 PM
Yeah the the only reason I'll buy it is for the pack-ins. If Hasbro's smart (Yeah right) they will pack those figures nice and tight so no A holes steal them from the box like the x-wing R2 and Red astro from the starship. I hope there's really 3 figures like what we have been reading!

Kidhuman
08-14-2003, 07:17 PM
Somehow, I don't think this will be a big seller.

As long as the price is right, it will sell. If they upthe price like on the shuttle it wont sell too much. Keep it under 50 bucks and it will sell good.

stad
09-05-2003, 01:16 PM
There's no reason why it can't have some assembly required and still be for kids. The Hasbro reasoning is that the G.I. Joe line (both old and new) are for kids, and they have the assembly required thing going for them. Okay, maybe not quite as much as they used to, but still quite a bit.

JediTricks
09-08-2003, 12:52 AM
What non-rehash vehicle in the GI Joe line requires significant assembly? I don't know of any.

stad
09-08-2003, 12:31 PM
Well, no, I wasn't going to add the new G.I. Joe line until I remembered the re-hashes needed assembly. But the re-release Rattler is part of the new line, so I'll stand by what I said. The Night Attack Chopper actually needed some dis-assembly to remove that dumb platform around it that the figures could stand on. But anyways, my point stands that both of those lines are geared toward children (as far as Hasbro is concerned) and they have (had) vehicles that needed a bit of assembly. There is nothing wrong with doing that with one or two of the Star Wars vehicles when that would be necessary.

Rogue II
09-08-2003, 01:52 PM
I don't see why anyone is worried about assembly for kids toys. My daughter turned 2 last month. At her party, after she unwrapped the gift, I got to take the toys out of the box so she could play with them. Holy Cheese and Rice! Do they pack them things in the boxes good or what? I thought taking some SW figures out of the package was difficult (those of you who opend the Snowtrooper know what I mean). Some of the Playskool and Fisher price toys were taped, wired, andwrapped in plastic. I would be glad to assemble any one of those toys if they would make it easier to get out of the stinking box.

Jargo
09-08-2003, 02:08 PM
I still think making the sandcrawler a playset and just having the one side completed and the interior in levels for play environment would be better. If the make the sandcrawler any bigger no-one will have room to put the thing but if they make it bigger but only one side - the side we have in the sale of the droids, then you get a great backdrop piece with better detail and a better scale but then you also have the interior to play with. As it is the sandcrawler is nothing more than a big box of nothing. Lots of wasted interior space. Space which could be used for play environment, a sort of junk smelting factory and droid repair shop. Access to the cockpit without having to have the top flip up. The front loading ramp could still fold down like it should but it wouldn't be such a huge piece. If the tracks are rescaled then they'll support the whole thing but in between the treads we could get the little stairway the jawas use to enter the vehicle and still have the droid vaccuum tube. By just making it a good play environment on one side and a solid representation of the vehicle on the other you get two toys in one almost it's bigger but thinner and sits next to a wall well as a great backdrop to the figures. Being only half a vehicle it would be easier to make it sections the end user puts together. The whole vehicle would make this less easy to do practically. The whole vehicle would be enormous. I want a sandcrawler and won't be buying it if it's no bigger than the vintage one. But if it were bigger and more usable like a playset or backdrop but still managed to look authentic enough i'd buy that in a flash. I don't have the space for a whole bigger sandcrawler but a half one I do. I don't have time for anything that resembles the vintage version.

stillakid
09-08-2003, 07:42 PM
I don't have the space for a whole bigger sandcrawler but a half one I do.

What if we consider the "some assembly required" scenario and they make two halves? One left, one right. That way, those like you can have something a bit smaller and the rest of us can insert tab A into slot B and have the whole bit.

Jargo
09-08-2003, 08:00 PM
Sold as seperate halves or as one item?

Kidhuman
09-08-2003, 08:03 PM

I would say one item. This way you can do what you want with it, or sell a whole one and a half one.

Jargo
09-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Be quite cool if they created it to split down the middle and then you could have one whole one or two half ones and have a swap meet. And get a much better play environment going inside.

*sigh* i don't know why i'm trying to kid myself, If it was bigger i'd buy it anyway whatever it came as. purely because it would be something new. Something Tatooine themed. I can't help but buy anything Tatooine themed. Rebels I can take or leave, But Tatooine just gets my juices flowing. hence the fact that i for some reason have a box full of unused pit droids and two Eopies and so on.

i still won't buy it if it's no bigger than the vintage one though. That thing was good back then but no more baby, if they can't be bothered to do something decent than i'd rather they didn't bother at all.

stillakid
09-09-2003, 12:08 AM

I think that the right half should be a Target exclusive and the left half should go to FAO Schwarz. :kiss:

But seriously folks, :sur: I'm personally in favor of one well put together retooled and ever so slightly larger Sandcrawler myself. But if it had to be hacked in two pieces, I think that the left and right should be sold separately. Hasbro could ship a "complete" vehicle (the two halves) in one of their nifty boxes and ship "many" to every retail outlet.

Of course doing it this way nearly ensures that scalpers would conspire to suck up one side or the other so that hapless collectors would be left having to spend 5x what they would had the vehicle been done correctly as a one-piece unit. I've never been a fan of this "pieces" concept that so many here put forth for just about every playset and large vehicle, and this scalper issue is one of the primary reasons.

Jargo
09-09-2003, 07:06 AM
I was thinking in my last post of a whole vehicle with a hinge so it could be opened dolls house style or split in two. Totally agree on the scalper front. Unfortunately those scalpers are just your regular guys grabbing anything percieved as 'hot' and flogging it on EBAY. I don't know that any retailers bother any more since technically the arse dropped out of collecting. Too much stuff in too high a quantity to make it truly collectible. These guys that just grab an armful and run are people who are too stupid to do any research, just hear a name and think it's a hot ticket to extortion. Holding toys to ransom is my pet peeve.

getting back though, one vehicle larger and more detailed and split with hinge that can be unhooked so you could in theory have the two halves as two vehicles. It would in theory make the hinge weak but at the price of these vehicles how many kids are truthfully going to have one to play with? Vehicles like this are collector aimed not kid aimed. But frankly i just want the sandcrawler to be anything but a big empty box. i just want the thing to be useful for there to be more to it than the vintage thing. I'm not talking motorised treads or silly droid elevator, i'm talking movie accuracy and improved scale, functionality. They have to do something worthwhile or people just won't buy it.

stillakid
09-09-2003, 07:56 AM
I'm not talking motorised treads or silly droid elevator, i'm talking movie accuracy and improved scale, functionality. They have to do something worthwhile or people just won't buy it.

What do "normal" radio controlled cars/trucks/boats go for? Like $60-$80 bucks + the special battery for another $20? The detail I've seen on those things isn't that spectacular, for sure, but that's because they don't really have to. Seriously, how much more effort and $ would it take to add the last 10% of detail in one of those things to make it a fairly decent representation of the real thing?

Point being, all this talk of cost (about all the vehicles and playsets to be) has never made any sense to me. The Slave I, even the retooled one, cost $20...the same amount I paid for my vintage one back when I was like 12 years old. The shuttle price was artificially high because of the outlet. The Queen's ship was pretty high up there, but look at it's size and relative complexity. I just don't see how something roughly the size of the vintage Sandcrawler with no electronics could possibly be sold for more than $20-ish bucks. :confused: Drop in the electronics (along with real treads because you'll need them :pirate: , a slightly larger sculpt, and the paint and detail) and you're up to a justified $60 - $80. Sure, it's a high price for a toy, but doing it this way you don't just have a "box" with a price tag that is really too high for something so basic. With remote control capability, now it []does[/I] something. Plus, for all the regular Star Wars collectors who are shut out of the market for it because of the price, some of that vaccuum will be filled by the RC guys who may be looking for something unique to add to their own collections.

It's so crazy, it just might work! :crazed: