PDA

View Full Version : Looks like new animated figs are on the way.

mylow thehutt
08-10-2003, 11:57 AM
:confused: Well i just heard at glatichunter hasbro is planning on makeing animated figs check out the message

"Mike Sullenger over at Wizard World Chicago isn't the only Galactic Hunter out there sniffing around for news. Our Galactic spies have confirmed that Hasbro is, in fact, developing a line of Clone Wars figures based on the animated series. The figures will be sculpted in the style of the Cartoon Network's upcoming Clone Wars cartoon shorts, they will be sculpted in the 3 3/4" scale that is the standard for Star Wars figures, and they will be packaged on new cards based on the animated series. We will have more on this line of toys as it develops. "

Well there you have it, I may not get some of the animated figs except for Yoda,3PO and R2 whos know maby they will neat.... or not? any way what are your thoughts

Battle Droid
08-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Sweet, I want a cartoony Battle Droid.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-10-2003, 12:38 PM
This will be very weird. I suppose it could be cool, though . . . But they're already making figures based on the show (Pilot Anakin, Mace with gauntlets, swimming Kit) so why would they also do it all cartoony? Somehow I doubt this will pull through.

JediTricks
08-11-2003, 12:51 AM
That's odd, I thought Hasbro said they weren't making more CW figures.

LTBasker
08-11-2003, 02:24 AM
Sounds pretty redudant. The only way I could see an interest in these figures is if they were a special boxset or something. But a whole other assortment? No.. We already have the Saga line with TPM/AOTC/Trilogy and the Clone Wars line, I doubt they'd have the Cartoon CW line. Especially since there's nothing they could really do to make them really wanted.

Also after the Concept Sketch Trooper, I don't think they can translate drawing styles very well.

JEDIpartner
08-11-2003, 09:27 AM
I think it's just a misinterpereted report. I think you need to check your protocol droid for a short circuit.

JangoFart
08-11-2003, 12:43 PM
I love the idea of them coming out with cartoon versions of our heroes/villians! I collect the vintage figs from the old Ewoks and Droids cartoons and LOVE the cards. I don't think there are better cards out there which beat the scene-specific/character-specific cards of the vintage cartoon series. I hope Hasbro gives these cards the extra treatment too.

I may be odd - OK, it's a given; I am odd - but, I'm more stoked about the cartoon figs than I am about anything else I've seen this year - and that includes all the new stuff. (Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about it all. My personal preference just has me more excited for the cartoon critters.) I'm sure the crazy reaction to the ComicCon showing was the extra bit of nudge to get Hasbro to make these.

Can't wait for these!

J

Vortex
08-11-2003, 12:58 PM
I read the report too and I'm not totally sold on the cartoon concept or believe it to be true yet.

I for one, wouldn't bother with the cartoon style figs. I don't care for the animator of the cartoon, and I sure wouldn't willing contribute to his pocket book.

El Chuxter
08-11-2003, 01:26 PM
If they've got Kit, Sassy, Durge, etc, from the cartoon in realistic figures, why do cartoony ones as well? It don't make no sense.

JangoFart
08-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Well, the pics I've seen from the toon, a toon Yoda, Mace, and Obi-Wan would be way too cool! That look of Yoda's is awesome and would make a sweet figure.

And, how can someone not like "Samauri Jack" or "Dexter's Lab"? That's unAmerican! I'm notifying Senator McCarthy's living relatives! (if there are any) We'll quash this anti-Gendy movement in its tracks! :)

J

aceguide
08-11-2003, 05:16 PM
It sounds like a great idea to me. I agree that a collector set or something like that would be nice vs. standard carded figures. Either way, more figures = a good thing.

Brainiak76
08-11-2003, 09:32 PM
sounds like a good idea to me!! But alil much w/ the reg cw figs and these!! I think it would have been a better idea to just have come out w/ cartoonish figs from the begining! oh well we will have to see i hope the packages for the cartoon cw figs arent too cartoonish also!

JangoFart
08-11-2003, 10:31 PM
This is the packaging for the old Wicket and Logray. Not too cartoony, just a great pic from the toon. I hope the new ones are similar.

J

JediTricks
08-12-2003, 12:14 AM
I just double-checked with SirSteve who was there, Hasbro said that what we've seen is it for the Clone Wars line's figures. The only future possibilities is if it does extremely well, they said "you never know".

JangoFart
08-12-2003, 12:53 AM
I just double-checked with SirSteve who was there, Hasbro said that what we've seen is it for the Clone Wars line's figures. The only future possibilities is if it does extremely well, they said "you never know".
Wow! That's a major anti-wood! Let's hope they do "extremely well" - whatever that equals. (Extremely well with collectors alone probably isn't enough.)

J

darthzirock
08-12-2003, 02:26 AM
Okay, let's look at what was really said, shall we?

"Our Galactic spies have confirmed that Hasbro is, in fact, developing a line of Clone Wars figures based on the animated series. The figures will be sculpted in the style of the Cartoon Network's upcoming Clone Wars cartoon shorts, they will be sculpted in the 3 3/4" scale that is the standard for Star Wars figures, and they will be packaged on new cards based on the animated series. We will have more on this line of toys as it develops."

So, who are these spies and can they be trusted? The article was posted by Adam May, who has been posting most of GalacticHunter.com editor Mike Sullenger's Wizard World-Chicago reports. But, as their "spy," as well as their sources at Hasbro, are both unnamed, I think it's safe to say that this report is probably either 1.) a misunderstanding, 2.) a wild rumor reported as fact, or 3.) a scoop so deep inside that even SirSteve himself (bow our heads!) is unaware of it.

Frankly, I'd like to see a line of figures based on the animated Clone Wars shorts, but then, I'd like to see a 12" Oola figure, and I know that ain't happening, either!

JangoFart
08-12-2003, 12:49 PM
Here's hoping that GH can clarify this issue. I'll send 'em an email asking them to clarify this issue and let you know what I learn.

J

JEDIpartner
08-12-2003, 01:00 PM
The skeptic that I am has me thinking this: Why in the world would Hasblah put out more product for a line they feel is not living up to expectations as it is?

It just seems like they would be diversifying their product base too much for it to make economic sense. The general consumer (which, again, is who they are pandering to) won't know where to look and it would probably end up a big pick and choose nightmare of people who do realise that certain figures are based off of more movie accurate figures versus the animated versions. As evidenced by my current avatar, I am quite a fan of the animated characters even before the show debuts!

InsaneJediGirl
08-12-2003, 01:05 PM
I'm with JEDIpartnr.Why would Hasbro be putting more product out when they have said before more commitment to making more Clone Wars figures isnt in their scope.Hopefully,the cartoon will do well,I look forward to seeing it :happy:

yngadult
08-12-2003, 04:19 PM
IMO short cartoons are simply commercials designed to build product awareness and demand for the SW line for the target market (kids) who'll then be the next generation of consumers (so they hope). :greedy:

LTBasker
08-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Well..yeah. That's the main reason behind any franchise going into the series world animated or not. This is of course just a beta test, which is why they're not making 22 minute long episodes.

JediTricks
08-13-2003, 01:13 AM
Look, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to prove anybody else is wrong, I'm just trying to clear up what Hasbro themselves said at Wizard World about the issue - they're the main source for this stuff, unless we have strong proof otherwise, what they say is what it is.

JF, I have a feeling "extremely well" means better than anything ever seen before in the history of SW toys. :D Restarting a line with them, even a sub-line, takes an enormous amount of faith in the line which means a built-in proven purchasing audience of epic proportions. None of the Hasbro SW sub-lines to date have ever been revived as far as I know.

It's entirely possible that they had designs drawn up in this style all along but just never got off the drawing board and this is what the "spy" thought, I would be more surprised to learn Hasbro didn't do any cartoon-styled designs drawn out. Look how many versions of the POTJ card design were made up and thrown around their office.

I gotta agree with JEDIpartner's inner-skeptic though, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me either that Hasbro would do this after showing that they don't have a lot of faith in the CW line as it is.

WookieWarrior
08-31-2003, 06:38 AM
Wow I love the idea of animated figs. This is off topic but does anyone know if the actors will lend their vouces for the cartoons?

mylow thehutt
08-31-2003, 02:30 PM
most likely not,the cartoon may be voiced with simlair sounding voices but not the real actors.

stillakid
08-31-2003, 02:57 PM
I love the idea of them coming out with cartoon versions of our heroes/villians! I collect the vintage figs from the old Ewoks and Droids cartoons and LOVE the cards. I don't think there are better cards out there which beat the scene-specific/character-specific cards of the vintage cartoon series. I hope Hasbro gives these cards the extra treatment too.

I may be odd - OK, it's a given; I am odd - but, I'm more stoked about the cartoon figs than I am about anything else I've seen this year - and that includes all the new stuff. (Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about it all. My personal preference just has me more excited for the cartoon critters.) I'm sure the crazy reaction to the ComicCon showing was the extra bit of nudge to get Hasbro to make these.

Can't wait for these!

J

I'm with you. I think this is a great idea. My "regular" collection is like a heroin addiction, but when things like the Playskool sets and the prospect of "cartoony" figures comes along, it reinvigorates my excitement for the hobby. Can't wait! :happy:

JEDIpartner
09-01-2003, 08:15 PM
Wow I love the idea of animated figs. This is off topic but does anyone know if the actors will lend their vouces for the cartoons?

Anthony Daniels, the only actor of the entire saga who has parlayed his role into any spin-offs, is lending his talents to this project.

JediTricks
09-27-2003, 01:14 AM
Ah, good ol' Hasbro, they say one thing out one side of their mouth and do the opposite out the other side of their...

So now there definitely ARE animated figures, I'm so glad Hasbro was able to confirm they weren't going to exist only a few months ago. :p

darthzirock
09-27-2003, 02:23 PM
Okay, they're making Toon versions of Anakin, Obi-Wan, Mace, and Asajj Ventress, but no Yoda??? C'mon, that Toon version of Yoda rocks!!! Another blown opportunity, Hasbro!

James Boba Fettfield
09-27-2003, 02:39 PM
Thank you! The idea is good, now I can only hope they pull these off without making them look too different from the cartoon. Finally some different looking figures to have in the Star Wars collection.

Hellboy
09-27-2003, 03:06 PM
I'm definately down with the idea of these animated figures.

I'm a pretty big Batman fan and used to collect the comic book based figures but found myself gravitating more towards the animated line over the last few years. With the success of that line and the newer Justice League animated figures I'm quite excited to be getting something similar in the SW line.

I bet these will be a big hit with the kiddies if the cartoon does well, and I believe it will. :)

mylow thehutt
09-28-2003, 10:42 AM
I bet since they said WAVE 1 wave 2 may come out if the line does good,you never know. :)