PDA

View Full Version : Family Tragedy

sith_killer_99
08-11-2003, 04:30 AM
My brother's first wife was hit and killed by a drunk driver recently. Hence the break in posts as of late.

She was 25 years old. My 5 year old nephew was in the car and ended up needing to have a steel plate put in his hip. He wasn't in a car seat. The thing is, his mom was almost fanatical about putting him in his car seat. However, the night of the accident, my brother had just brought him back from Oklahoma, where he had been visiting my brother and his current wife for the summer. My brother dropped his son off with his mom. But she hadn't expected him that night, so she didn't have the car seat in the car. It was one of the only times she had driven without a car seat and they were just heading back home.

The guy who hit her was drunk, and was driving at 11:30 at night without his headlights on. Worst of all, he had his wife and kids in the car with him. He had no license and no insurance. He and his family all survived.

My question is, what kind of woman let's her drunk husband get behind the wheel with their 2 kids in the car to begin with, let alone allow him to drive without headlights. IMO, she is just as guilty as he is.

He's been charge with 7-8 different things. My mom went to the first hearing, where the guy pretended not to speak english, he told the judge in Spanish, "Just give me my bond". They set the date for that hearing for later. The DA has found out that the guy went to the same High School that I graduated from, Adams City High Scool. Yet he pretends not to speak english. :rolleyes: This clown is a serious flight risk. He was snide and sarcastic during the whole proceeding, he hasn't shown any remorse and he has already tried to decieve the court by pretending not to speak english.

I hope the guy is remanded without bail. He's 25 and probably has relatives down in Mexico. If he makes bail, he's gone!

kool-aid killer
08-11-2003, 08:50 AM
That sucks. I used to work at a grocery store with a girl and she too was killed by a drunk driver. I feel for your brother and nephew. As for the guy fleeing to Mexico, i would think that they would keep him around because hes a flight risk but if he did leave the country, i believe Mexico would send him back if ever caught. (as long as he doesnt face the death penalty or something like that) Sorry to hear about your families tragedy.

Sentinel18725
08-11-2003, 09:25 AM
I am truly sorry to hear about that. Many people won't stand up to those who have been drinking or who are alcoholics. I have seen many drunk driving accidents and what is worse is that the alcohol impared one is usually ok while those receiving his death blow are much worse. Hopefully the legal system will work this time and they can get him for perjury for not speaking english. All they have to do is ask if he doesn't speak english and he lies....bam! Next will be the manslaughter charges...

Good luck. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

mabudonicus
08-11-2003, 11:23 AM
That's awful, man... I hope it all works out as far as taking the perpretrator off the roads of ANY country for as long as it takes to smarten up... the "no english" ploy is, as you say, a pretty obvious distraction ploy. Sorry to hear of such a tragedy happening to anyone....

Exhaust Port
08-11-2003, 12:34 PM
God, what an awful story. When will people learn the lesson regarding drinking and driving?

InsaneJediGirl
08-11-2003, 01:41 PM
I'm sorry for the loss in your family SK.I really hope this guy doesnt get bail,especially after causing an accident that lead to someones death.

Jedi Clint
08-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Sounds like a real scumbag. Not only is he driving drunk (which is bad enough), but he is driving with his headlights off.......how dumb is that?! Or is it dumb? He lied in court and gave attitude on top of that. Sounds more like arrogance and contempt to me. I hope he doesn't make bail, and that he receives something akin to justice for his behavior. I hope your nephew's recovery goes well........that's got to be extremely hard for him.

DarthBrandon
08-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Sounds like a real scumbag. Not only is he driving drunk (which is bad enough), but he is driving with his headlights off.......how dumb is that?! Or is it dumb? He lied in court and gave attitude on top of that. Sounds more like arrogance and contempt to me. I hope he doesn't make bail, and that he receives something akin to justice for his behavior. I hope your nephew's recovery goes well........that's got to be extremely hard for him.

Heard about this via a p.m. with sith_killer_99 on another issue and my family's sympathy goes out to him and the rest of his family especially his nephew.

This will be extremely hard for him not only has he been injured, but he has lost his mother, so he's going to need some extra love from other family members.

Again sorry for your family's loss

Take care

Brandon

jjreason
08-11-2003, 06:56 PM
Im sorry for you and your family SK99, especially the little guy. I find it amazing how some guilty parties can apparently feel no remorse for what they did - I hope it's some kind of immature coping mechanism and not the true measure of the person. He'll get what he has coming, though that's little comfort. Very sad.

Kidhuman
08-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Dude, real sorry to hear about that. That really bites. I hope they fry the sucker. 25 to life, no parole.

The drivers family(not yours the other guy) should go as well, at least his wife. She let him do that and could have stopped it. Someone needs toset an example and repremand the other parties involved who could have taken action.

Again, I am sorry to hear that. My best to you and yours SK99.

bobafrett
08-12-2003, 03:05 AM
SK99, I'm really sorry to hear of your brothers and Nephews loss. 25 years of age is way to early to be taken from this earth. You barely begin living at that age.

My condolences to your brother and his son and family.