PDA

View Full Version : What is Vader doing in his tie fighter? (ANH)

TheDarthVader
08-11-2003, 09:24 PM
I performed a search and could not find anything so here goes...

What is Vader turning with his hand when he tells the other tie fighters to stay in formation? Does anyone know what he is doing? It seems to me like he is turning a knob of some kind or he is charging up his guns/ targeting computer. :confused: I would like to know because of my curiosity. If anyone has insight please help shed some light on this subject for me. Thanks!

DarthChuckMc
08-11-2003, 09:55 PM
That is a VERY good question. I thought the same thing when I was watching it last night on TBS. I've always noticed it, but I too, found it more peculiar after seeing it again for the 1,000,000th time.

Oh yeah....and....I totally got that Ben and Owen were NOT related. Contrary to the novel, and years of people speculating otherwise, I clearly got that Owen was Anakin's brother. Maybe it's my psychi playing tricks on me. :crazed:

JediTricks
08-11-2003, 11:34 PM
I think the knob is to calibrate the target lock. Since the ships keep moving, he has to keep targeting since he doesn't like taking random shots unlike the regular TIE Fighters.

Er... except for the title "uncle", I don't see ANYTHING to suggest that Chuck.

2-1B
08-12-2003, 04:32 AM
I always thought he was chalking his cue stick.

TeeEye7
08-12-2003, 07:44 AM
Nah....if you look really, really closely, he's winding his disposable camera. He wanted photos to sell to Inside Edition.

Exhaust Port
08-12-2003, 09:38 AM
He's adjusting his voice box so he can maximize the coolness in his transmissions.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-12-2003, 11:21 AM
I found this from http://psuedostarwarsstories.cmon/episode_4/vader/deathstartrench
Exterior: X-Wing fighter seen moving left and right to avoid being targeted by laser fire.
Interior: Vader tightens cap on sports drink bottle, after replenishing vital nutrients he lost during the dogfight.

There. Answered.

BTW, Owen is Anakin's step-brother, to be specific.

Deoxyribonucleic
08-12-2003, 11:33 AM
He's doing what I call "Hollywood Busywork" which is performing any kind of action, whether BIG or small, that makes you look like you are doing something extremely important!!

;)

I like closing up his sports drink, that's a good one! :D

Exhaust Port
08-12-2003, 02:06 PM
I'm sure if we could read his lips he would be saying "watermelon, watermelon, watermelon."

<you know, what you say in the background of a scene to look like you're talking :) >

TheDarthVader
08-12-2003, 05:32 PM
He has a nintendo advantage controller and his LEFT hand is his joystick hand. How about that? And he is playing star wars on nintendo. :)

Kidhuman
08-12-2003, 07:44 PM
He has a nintendo advantage controller and his LEFT hand is his joystick hand. How about that? And he is playing star wars on nintendo. :)

It was Atari back in 77. :D

And he was playing the battle of Hoth to see who would win.

LTBasker
08-12-2003, 09:22 PM
He was checking to see if his new wrench-finger attachment would work through his gloves.

Seriously though, I always figured he was adjusting his targeting computer. Perhaps trying to get it to display a more close-up view of the ship.

2-1B
08-13-2003, 04:16 AM
Actually, I think he was having a flashback to the podrace vs. Sebulba when 'Bulbs monkeyed around with that thing on Vader's pod before the race - thus requiring Darth to pull those plugs and . . . replug them.

So it only makes sense that he was worried about the same thing happening to his Tie Fighter. ;)

scruffziller
08-13-2003, 10:17 AM

No way, too early. It is ASTEROIDS with that metal turndisk.

TheDarthVader
08-13-2003, 07:42 PM
Dang it,silly me. Of course it was ATARI! ;)

hamsterboy
08-14-2003, 07:18 PM
It's like the knob Luke is playing with in his X-Wing,more than likely.

Kidhuman
08-14-2003, 08:10 PM
He was fine tuning his cockpit stereo

Exhaust Port
08-15-2003, 12:48 AM
I guess at that point in the SW universe they were still playing around with Analog radios. <gasp> ;)

JediTricks
08-15-2003, 02:22 AM
Maybe, due to shoddy Imperial construction requirements, he was just tightening a loose bolt. :D

scruffziller
08-15-2003, 09:47 AM
Maybe, due to shoddy Imperial construction requirements, he was just tightening a loose bolt. :D
Yea because after all it was a prototype.:rolleyes:.............:D
Heck, because the provision for Vader to get out there and fight right at that moment left proably a number of builders welding and fitting parts as he flew out the hatch!!:D

There was probably an engineer stuck inside the hull trying to still put it together as Vader was out there flying around.

HEY!!!!:eek: I wonder if I could break open my Vader's Tie fighter toy and find the figure!!!!!!!:D ......and then.........:greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::gree dy::greedy::greedy:

jeddah
09-09-2003, 11:43 AM
In The Star Wars Chronicles it says that because of his face apparatus and helmet design,the only thing Vader could get past his grill was sliced Yam. With the scene set in space, it was all canned food and he is quite clearly using a can-opener to get a mid-flight snack.

I quite understand! Yams are gorgeous, although I prefer pounded yam myself. :D

jeddah

chrisc
10-02-2003, 04:25 PM
He was tightening his steering yoke so it would not come off while flying, like my car's steering wheel did the other day on Interstate 95.