PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION Windows Users

DarthChuckMc
08-11-2003, 09:50 PM
A new virus is out and about...here's the link.

Download the patch NOW.

Both my brother, and brother-in-law already got hit today.

http://msn.com.com/4520-6600_16-5062407.html?part=msn&subj=ns&tag=msn_home

Anakin2121
08-11-2003, 10:34 PM
Also, many people, including me, have been getting emails saying that a virus called "jdbgmgr.exe" with a teddy bear icon has invaded many PCs, and that it sits quietly for 14 days before it begins harming the system.
Let me tell you now, the email is a hoax! www.symantec.com, a reliable antivirus website, confirms this. The jdbgmgr program is no virus, but actually is Java Debugging Manager! So far I believe that deleting it would only be bad if you were a Java programmer, but still...
As long as you ruthlessly and constantly update and patch Windows and your antivirus programs, there is really no virus that can "sneak into" your system.

JediTricks
08-11-2003, 11:05 PM
Haw haw! Now you guys have yet another reason why I stick with Win95. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-11-2003, 11:45 PM
Uh, i was under the impression that you couldn't get the virus unless you downloaded the file. So, don't download the file and you'll be safe. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-12-2003, 12:03 AM
I stand corrected, it can just try to get into your PC. That lil' bugger!! I just bought the Norton Anti-Virus thing about a week ago as well. I went ahead and did the live update thing, but i'm going to do the patch as well, just for giggles. :D

Kidhuman
08-12-2003, 08:10 AM
I have 3 virus protection programs. It should be taken care of. Norton ofice, zone alarm and ontrack. If one dont get it the other will.

Jargo
08-12-2003, 09:22 AM
I just got viruses, It came in via a gif on website i visited, A trojan horse with a virus hidden inside it, double whammy badness. It completely scrambled my hard drive and killed My system outright. Norton domestic has no antivirus definition for it, Even Norton corporate has no definition for it. You cannot stop this thing which since my PC died I have no record of what the damn thing was called. I know several UK peoiple who have been virused too so it's a major problem especially as a large proportion of PC users are retired folk who don't really know what they're doing and open random e-mails because they sound interesting :rolleyes: Thus spreading and aiding the b******s who send these viruses out in the first place. My system infection was recieved from a fairly innocuous website. Nothing shady or pervy, just a regular site for information. They used a virused gif and Voila! dead system.
If Norton/Symantec don't have a definiotion and cure for this thing which behaves much like the old MTX virus then there's not a lot your domestic antivirus programmes can do. Norton is the best out there but even they are fallible with viruses specifically targeting the antivirus programme and switching off the protection so they can invade the PC. There's some really nasty mean spirited b*****s out there. It's all very well to target large companies you have a gripe with but those large companies also serve ordinary folk and an attack on the company is an attack on the ordinary folk the virus senders clainm to represent. It's just another form of terrorism really. Law should treat them no differently.

Exhaust Port
08-12-2003, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the warning, I just downloaded the patch.

JediTricks
08-12-2003, 11:31 PM
How can you have a virus in a .GIF image? The format isn't self-executable, it's an image format. Or was it a virus renamed as a .GIF? (If that's the case, what browser did this happen with? Netscape I know won't load that sort of thing up if it claims to be an image, I thought the same was with IE as well.)

Exhaust Port
08-13-2003, 12:40 AM
What about an animated gif?

Beast
08-13-2003, 12:50 AM
Yep, I got hit by this lil biotch today too. The one minute countdown and your system reboots. Pain in the butt. Thankfully the update from windows seems to have killed it. Grrrr. Bloody viruses. :mad:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-13-2003, 01:09 AM
I went ahead and downloaded the 32-bit patch as well. So, i got the patch and the liveupdate from Norton. Stupid worms, though it IS kinda funny that they're just exploiting an error in the Windows system. I bet they'll be sure to fix this on the next Windows version, eh eh eh! :D

JediTricks
08-13-2003, 01:48 AM
What about an animated gif?
Same thing, as far as I know.

Jargo
08-13-2003, 10:23 AM
How can you have a virus in a .GIF image? The format isn't self-executable, it's an image format. Or was it a virus renamed as a .GIF? (If that's the case, what browser did this happen with? Netscape I know won't load that sort of thing up if it claims to be an image, I thought the same was with IE as well.)You can get viruses through Gifs and Jpegs. Don't ask me how they do it but it's possible. some kind of coding hidden in it. Open a jpeg in wordpad and it's all just a string of code so it must be possible to add code in somehow that doesn't affect the image being viewed as normal.Trojan horse viruses often come in that way. there's a few I had from images back when I first got my PC connected to the net. The kind that morph from location to location as you try to find and delete them. The image comes in and the virus extracts itself to a start point like your start up menu and then works around your programmes. The MTX virus was like that. Completely sidestepped every virus scan. Depends on the type of virus too. I had one came in that was just some string of code that meant a message popped up in every window I used saying "look how clever I am" in a scrolling marquee. That was when I had Win98. Norton killed that one but it was annoying all the same.
The MTX was a trojan that carried a secondary virus inside it. While you were busy deleting one the other ate your your operating system drivers if I remember right. But it came in via a Jpeg image. Norton regulary picks up on malicious coding in .Gif files as I browse certain websites like independent webstores or sites from searching that sound interesting enough to have a look see.
At the moment I use Win XP and IE6.whatever. It's supposedly got advanced security measures but seems to be a bit lazy about picking up on unsafe websites if you ask me. I'll get a message pop up about safe and unsafe items on a page and asking if i want to display them or not but it's only ever on sites i know are safe. Never on the strange new sites from searching. :rolleyes:

kool-aid killer
08-13-2003, 11:04 AM
My computer got it. It would kick me off after about five minutes. But ive got the patch now so everything is ok. (at least for now...)

Dr Zoltar
08-13-2003, 01:22 PM
It's my understanding that this virus could have been avoided with a Critical Update patch MS released a month ago. Are people not using the MS Windows Update site on a weekly basis? Or was my source (a local TV news website) wrong?

Exhaust Port
08-13-2003, 01:50 PM
I wasn't hit by this worm/virus but I don't know if it was due to my regular MS Windows updates or downloading the patch that someone posted here recently.

When my computer was new and Windows XP was installed it was completely buggy until I spent about a half an hour downloading a bunch patches and updates with the Windows update feature. Perhaps they rushed it out the door a little quite.

icatch9
08-13-2003, 02:36 PM
So, this patch will fix or prevent any problem? Is this right? I've heard that this is how you get it? Is that just a rumor or what? I don't think I have it, but I certainly don't want to do something that will make me get it. I guess from now on I'll do the weekly updates and the the MS site. Thanks for you help.

icatch9

Exhaust Port
08-13-2003, 07:00 PM
I think that the Window updates are the best preventative action you can take against viruses/worms in addition to a good virus scanner. Now if there was only a way to get on a Microsoft email list that would notify you when a security breach as been discovered and that a fix is available for download. It seems to me that I don't know that there is a potent virus making the rounds until I either see it on the news or read it on a BBS somewhere.

JediTricks
08-14-2003, 12:55 AM
Jargo, I looked into this a little more, from what I've read, the only way to get a virus via a .gif or .jpg is if you've already run an executable (.exe) virus that alters your system in the way it handles those images. It's the W32/Perrun virus, and if that virus hasn't already been activated in your system, then JPGs and GIFs are still totally harmless.

As to McAfee's claim last year that JPGs could possibly self-execute embedded viruses, here's one of the stories I found, along with a choice quote: http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002june/gee20020624015102.htm

Gullotto (Vincent Gullotto, senior director for McAfee Anti-Virus Emergency Response Team, one of the persons at McAfee who started this worrywarting) admits that currently there is no feasible way a virus embedded solely in JPEGs could replicate, but he offers reason for future concern. He believes that there is a possibility that functionality in future document readers could include reading executable code out of documents. And here's what Sophos Antivirus had to say about this:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/perrun.html
Not only is this virus not in the wild, but also graphic files infected by this virus are completely and utterly harmless, unless they can find an already infected machine to assist them.

darthvyn
08-20-2003, 12:34 AM
okay, so if windows update fixes whatever this virus does... could the virus have been developed by MS to combat pirated software? if you have an illegal copy of windows, you can't download an update. therefore, your illegal copy of windows is rendered useless, and you have to reformat your hard drive, or get a new one, which will require a new install of the OS, which you have to buy, otherwise you just end up reinstalling your original pirated version and catch the bug all over again...

just food for thought...

Exhaust Port
08-20-2003, 12:55 AM
You know I thought I remember reading an article where one of the retaliation methods being thrown about by the music or software folks was just that darthvyn. You would download what you thought was a music file but it would then be a trojan of some sort. I doubt they would every publically follow through with this method as the legal implications are quite bold.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-20-2003, 01:07 AM
Those vicious bas******!!! How dare they try to mess w/ my illegal right to download movies and mp3's!!! Well, jokes on them, cause i got patches and updates out the wazoo to combat that virus!! I shall download what i want now!! muahahahahhahahahaha!! :crazed:

heheheheh j/k!

mabudonicus
08-25-2003, 09:35 AM
okay, on a related yet-not subject.... when I open explorer after setting up my dial-up connection, it does something weird.. it opens up a tiny window over in the bottom right of the screen and for a second my computer connects to something like www.econnect.liberco.net/start.php and then there's more gibberish....anyone recognize this??? I'm gonna go hunting for the answer, but I know there's a lot of types here who may have at least seen this before... doesn't seem to be doing anything yet, but you know how these things are

JediTricks
08-25-2003, 10:26 PM
Heh heh, "This is CoNaN." :D

Sounds like you have some sort of adware, you should get that out of there.

mabudonicus
08-26-2003, 10:01 AM
Glad ya like the sig... it just popped out of my mouth watching conan a few weeks ago, right whe JEJ shows up the first time...

Yeah, it was just some poison cookie, I cleaned up and the problem's gone, it was just freakin me out what with all the virus alerts lately

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-26-2003, 04:30 PM
Yeah, a lot of good Microsoft and Norton did me as i found today i have the virus named, backdoor.sdbot. I've been messin' with it all day and are about to call Norton (who wants to charge me, figure that, their product fails and i get charged, again!) for tech support. Fun times, believe you me. :D

mabudonicus
08-26-2003, 11:39 PM
i got patches and updates out the wazoo to combat that virus!! I shall download what i want now!! muahahahahhahahahaha!!
ouch.... came in right THROUGH the wazoo....
i found today i have the virus named, backdoor.sdbotor
at least that's what I'd guess from the name....
sorry, someone woulda said it :D

Jedi Tech
08-27-2003, 12:46 AM
Did you get the ad ware remover and spider programs I suggested?

mabudonicus
08-27-2003, 01:06 AM
shoot man, I'm pretty slow online... I'm trying to get a working version of MAME right now... I just went "in there" with a keen eye and smoked out the problem, it was pretty obvious.... I will grab the spider forthwith.. mebbe want to re-suggest it here..