PDA

View Full Version : A Certified Character-Star Wars Style

JediCole
08-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Mrs. JediCole and I recently made the first step from our long-time hobby turned business of selling at local toy and comic shows by opening a weekend only store. And we still do the shows so we get the best of both while keeping the day jobs for now. Anyway, this weekend we met a certified character. We've met some really great and even some really odd people over the years and it is one of the things we love most about doing this. But this guy took the cake.

In the course of discussing all manner of toys and collectibles he first told us that he not only buys his MacFarlane Toys direct from the company but that often Todd MacFarlane himself sends him various rare goodies and that the two of them hang out whenever Todd is in town. Well, that was not too far out of the realm of possibility. People who travel a lot to shows, regardless of their level of celebrity, are often known to strike up friendships with people at the shows. I mean Peter (Chewbacca) Mayhew now lives in the little town of Granbury, Texas after having met one of the toy dealers at a Dallas area show and later married her! So that was something that didn't strike me as overly odd, in fact the statement didn't even raise an eyebrow.

Where his credibility began to suffer was in describing his tenure working at a Wal-Mart as a stocker. He proudly told us how he rebuffed dealers who wanted him to save things back for them and he never even saved stuff back for himself. With one exception! It seems one day that he opened a case of newly arrived Star Wars figures and found that it contained not one, but twelve of one of the Holy Grails of Star Wars collecting...

Charred Remains of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru!

I'm sure all of us here on SSG remember how we searched high and low at K-Marts, Wal-Marts, Toys R Us, Targets, KB Toys, and even the grocery store to find our own Charred Remains Two-Pack! And then there were those of us with no luck who had to shell out upwards of $25.00 for this rare Star Wars figure set. Oh wait, I must have been remeniscing of toy collecting in Fantasy Land! I believe that must have been the locale of the Wal-Mart where this guy worked.

Now don't get me wrong. I know that there are many people out there who are not as "in the know" as we are on what has and has not been made What is and is not in the future as far as which characters will make it into plastic. And I would not have been terribly surprised to have someone gleefully talk of purchasing the rare Charred Remains set at a show, still on the card. (Of course in my morbid curiosity I owuld have to ask how much they paid, just to have a gague of how much that had been taken by an unscrupulous customizer.) I've encountered people who have been thus taken and had to realize that not everyone reads the magazines or checks out the collector sites. I've had people see the Fambaa at our show tables who had no idea it was made! Or mistake the loose "Hex & Rex" figure as a custom. But to claim, with a strait face and seeming conviction that you were at the store when a full case of a non-existant figures. I really think that he honestly believed what he told me. And that he believed that he had also purchased the 12" version of the same set!

He would go on to regale us with tales of once being able to drop in at Moore Action Collectibes at will and buy anything he wanted at less than wholesale and how those days were gone (though there may be more truth to that than may meets the eye). And how he had visited WizKids (makers of Mage Knight, HeroClix, Mech Warrior, etc.) and got to see projects in the works that have yet to be announced. Like Star Trek, Babylon 5, and Star Wars "Clix" games. Now I can attest that many a HeroClix fan has expressed that they would love to see Star Wars HeroClix and I would love to see it happen. And with Hasbro's new ownership of WizKids it could easily happen. But to suggest that the same was in the works about three or four years ago is pressing the envelope of credibility.

All in all it was a fun conversation, but there were more references made to non-existant toys and collectibles (I've been in the midst of the collectibles industry in one form or another for about 15 years now so I know more than most about what has and has not been done) so it was difficult to decipher what was real and what was fanciful. I would suspect that we will see him again and I look forward to more tall tales.

TeeEye7
08-12-2003, 06:34 AM
How many people in white coats were behind him? :confused:

Charred Remains Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru......unbelieveable.

I believe the majority of us here could make that custom from our own collections with a Bic lighter ;)

Exhaust Port
08-12-2003, 08:43 AM
That's funny! :D

InsaneJediGirl
08-12-2003, 10:13 AM
Funny story,no wonder why it took me so long to find Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru,and fanboy had 12 of them :p :crazed:

Deoxyribonucleic
08-12-2003, 10:40 AM
Funny story,no wonder why it took me so long to find Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru,and fanboy had 12 of them :p :crazed:

Yeah, don't forget to tell them that you snatched that charred owen and beru right out of my hand at the local pool supply store where I found it on sale in the bargain section!! You know IT IS RIGHTFULLY MINE IJG...you know............... :frus:

;) :p :crazed: :D :crazed: :p ;)

jeddah
08-12-2003, 11:01 AM
Yeah, don't forget to tell them that you snatched that charred owen and beru right out of my hand at the local pool supply store where I found it on sale in the bargain section!! You know IT IS RIGHTFULLY MINE IJG...you know............... :frus:

I really don't see what al the fuss is about, I'd rather keep my Toshi Station playset with Luke & Biggs deleted scene action figures, to some burnt offerings anyday :D And to think I picked it up at TRU on special for 2.99. They were pegwarmers! Maybe it was UK exclusive ;) :D :P

jeddah

JediCole
08-12-2003, 11:26 AM
It did not occur to me until later to ask him if he had managed to pick up the hard-to-find Garuff LaFoe 12" figure. You remember, the one that left us all asking, "Why make the 12" version before the 3.75" version?" Oh well, perhaps he will return to regale me with stories of the time he found the "Torture Chair" Han Solo or the removeable helmet Boba Fett from 1991. Or perhaps the ever popular and hard to find Sando Aqua Monster with Colo Claw Fish, you know, the Big Lots exclusive!

mabudonicus
08-12-2003, 11:50 AM
I see none of you has had the fortune to find 21-B- Unleashed.... too bad, it's a REAL nice figure....
As a joke I have him leaping up out of the 3 3/4" Sarlacc pit with full-size sailbarge which I found loose but complete last week at a garage sale for 75 cents... WHAT A SCORE!!!

InsaneJediGirl
08-12-2003, 12:34 PM

It isnt my falut I beat you with a pool chemical jar over the head and you were too busy worried about your injuries.Some Star Wars collector :p

;) :crazed: :D

Exhaust Port
08-12-2003, 01:03 PM
Tell him you'll trade your carton of rocket firing Boba Fett's for his carton of burned figures.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-13-2003, 10:31 AM
Or perhaps the ever popular and hard to find Sando Aqua Monster with Colo Claw Fish, you know, the Big Lots exclusive!
"Big Lots Exclusive" is quite possibly the worst phrase ever uttered. :eek: I read about it in some religious book as a sign of the end of the world...

Deoxyribonucleic
08-13-2003, 12:39 PM
Yeah and NOW I can't see out of my eyes...did I mention that too?? And my skin hangs of my jowls at least 4 inches...I can't get a date because of the charred owen and beru :frus:

It isnt my falut I beat you with a pool chemical jar over the head and you were too busy worried about your injuries.Some Star Wars collector :p

;) :crazed: :D

ROFLMOA!!

:p :crazed: ;)

SIDE NOTE: I bought a Star Wars halogen work lamp on sale at Big Lots for $9.99.

CloneTrooperMace
08-13-2003, 02:45 PM
Will I found a Shmi Skywalker w/dieing action,Hmmm...maybe it's a Quick King Gas Station Exclusive.If you want it be up on ebay as "Shmi Skywalker dieing RARE Only $1. :D

Exhaust Port
08-13-2003, 05:57 PM
Well I found a box of loose pre-release Ep.3 Windu ghosts. Sure the box might look empty to the untrained eye but I can tell there are ghost figures in there. :)

jeddah
08-14-2003, 04:38 AM
Will I found a Shmi Skywalker w/dieing action,Hmmm...maybe it's a Quick King Gas Station Exclusive.If you want it be up on ebay as "Shmi Skywalker dieing RARE Only $1. :D

Well I found the uber-rare Atkins Shmi with dieting action at a church coffee morning.

:D

jeddah

dingodad
08-23-2003, 06:17 PM
i went to a flea market today and found a booth laoded with vintage star wars items at pretty good prices. he had 89 loose figures(including stormy luke, ds gunner, endor luke and gen. lando) that he offered to me for $150. we talked a while and he sweetened the deal with a skiff and jabba playset. we talked a bit more and he threw in a wampa and rancor. we talked a little more and he threw in a 12" luke, chewy, vader and a few comic books. after our transaction had taken place, he told me of the one piece of star wars treasure that he wished he had kept....a red carded chared owen and breu 2-pack that he had found while working at wal-mart. then he told me about the 12" figures of owen and beru that he had found as well.i was unknowingly dealing with jedi-coles character that he had told me about just a week before. he also had to tell me about how rare the wampa, rancor, and emperor figures were. i guess he's right. although i bought those all on clearance back in the mid 80's, you just dont find them on the shelves very much any more.

JediCole
08-25-2003, 12:11 AM
Dingodad (who I all too often refer to as Bubba Fatt, his prior SSG name) had stopped by the Mini Store to show us the bounty (or at least part of it) that he had found at the local flea market. He proceeded to tell us the above story, stopping short of revealing the true nature of his encounter. Then he recounted the seller's tale of the one piece of his collection he regretted selling. We couldn't believe it!

I seem to recall that our "character" had mentoned that he sold at a couple of local flea markets, but I never would have guessed that it was the same guy that sold Dingodad all of that stuff! The further irony was that I had been offered many of those items earlier in the week by the same guy via an email! Small world.

thrawndude
09-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Hmmmm those ARE impressive finds, but I have found an exploding action lott dodd figure! (It's called a little gasoline and a match)

JediCole
11-20-2003, 04:33 PM
I just scored the ultra-rare "Theatre Edition" George Lucas action figure with Trilogy Ruining Action. It was given to one in 1,000,000,000,000,000 people who attended the opening day screening of the SE Empire Strikes Back and did NOT think Luke squealing like a baby when he threw himself from the Bespin gantry was one of the stupidest changes to the film. It was in the remainder bin at the 7-11 last weekend for 25 cents! I didn't have enough money with me so I hid it under a box of Almond Joy until I could fish the additional change needed out of the nearby wishing fountain.

I'd post a picture of it here but I sold it on eBay last night in a private auction (that's why you can't look it up by the way) for a cool $1 million. Best 25 cents I ever spent!

El Chuxter
11-20-2003, 04:55 PM
That reminds me of how a buddy and I used to go to comic shops all over the place and try to strike up conversations with store owners who knew nothing, but thought you did, and tried to go along with you.

We convinced one owner that Cable (a very popular character at the time, whose appearances now are worth more as toilet paper) had first appeared in an issue of ROM: Space Knight back in the 60s, where he saved ROM from the Thing back when Thing was still a homicidal villain.

No matter the tale or the store, the response was the same (or close to it): "Yeah, I remember that. I sold a copy a year ago for only $5. It's worth $250 now. I wish I still had it."

LTBasker
11-20-2003, 10:31 PM
Yep, some people scare me. Fortunately I've had only a couple run-ins with clowns like these, and they're excuseable cause they were kids that were my age back in '96.

Maybe the guy got in an Amanaman pack where they popped in two skeletons instead of one and he figured they were Owen and Beru? :p Ok probably not... :D

What exactly is the point though of talking like that to a complete stranger besides to drive'em mad?... We need to make our own series, a Star Wars collector version of Dragnet. :D Can have a couple people going through different situations like that! :crazed: