PDA

View Full Version : McCallum Online Chat

CloneTrooperMace
08-13-2003, 09:07 AM
starwars.com has a new chat with producer Rick McCallum coming up. Here's the ... uh, skinny:

Rick McCallum is scheduled to be online on Wednesday, August 13, at 5 p.m. US Pacific time (or 8 p.m US Eastern, or 10 am, Thursday, August 14, Sydney time). These chats are held in the Online Chats and Schedule Forum, accessible only by Hyperspace members.

Pendo
08-13-2003, 09:44 AM
Looks like ANOTHER late night for me :rolleyes:! I honestly can't think of anything else to ask him, but I'll still show my face and see if I can dig anything up :). Being spoiler free, I have to try and get as much official information as I can ;).

PENDO!

Jargo
08-13-2003, 10:04 AM
Ask him which LFL personnel will be playing cameos.

Ask him if the design work on the movie bears in mind the marketing potential and is toy friendlier in the prequels than in the OT.

Ask him who's been cast as Tarkin.

Ask him to say hi to Caesar :D

Pendo
08-13-2003, 08:47 PM
Rick McPrick (sorry, old habbit :rolleyes:) has told us a line of Darth Vader's dialogue. Well it's more like half a line...

"I don't fear... "

Hmmm, wonder what Vader doesn't fear? Squirrels? :rolleyes:

PENDO!

Battle Droid
08-13-2003, 10:20 PM
That was an AWESOME chat, even though he didn't answer any of my questions. :(

Pendo
08-13-2003, 10:35 PM
Well chat's over, and quite alot was revealed. Here's a quick recap before I go to bed :zzz::

- Palpatine has a much more substantial role.
- The movie ends on a sad and gloomy note.
- He can't tell us if Tarkin is in the movie (which usually means "yes", other wise he'd probably say "no")
- Obi-Wan fights with droids underwater.
- Three words from Darth Vader will be "I don't fear..."
- The opening battle sequence takes place just in space, but there are more land battles throughout the movie.
- Kamino is not in Episode III.
- Dooku only uses one lightsaber, but someone else uses two (and he's 'bad').
- There will be a scene involving the naming of Vader, and why he is called that.
- He can't answer is there will be a volcanic setting (which will probably mean "yes", otherwise he'd say "no").
- Mace Windu will be in a form of space action.
- Palpatine/Sidious is in a scene showing an awesome display of his dark side power.
- Beru will be in Episode III.
- Chewbacca's role in Episode III makes it obvious that it's Chewbacca from the OT, and adds more depth to his character.
- The character that would make the best action figure he is not allowed to talk about.
- He hinted at a love triangle between Obi, Ani and Padmé, but it could have been a joke (I hope...).
- Other than Boba, a major character in the film will be a clone (hopefully not Palpatine/Sidious).
- "Birth of an Empire" is not even close to the title.
- Jar Jar survives this film (so prepare for the Archival Editions ;):p)
- Kit Fisto doesn't use a double bladed lightsaber like in the Clone Wars sketches.
- The Sith statement "Always two there are" remains true.
- Padmé is a Senator throughout the whole movie.
- No Boss Nass or Dormé.
- The movie ends with Luke and Leia less than a month old, and we'll find out which one was born first (probably Luke...).
- We will see Padmé pregnant.
- Later today Hayden will be filming a "ceiling of a flooded room".
- We will see Yoda fight.

:)

PENDO!

Jedi Clint
08-13-2003, 11:13 PM
- Other than Boba, a major character in the film will be a clone (hopefully not Palpatine/Sidious).

Hey Pendo, I think the question was "....Can you either confirm or deny....." to which Mcallum answered "Yes".

TheDarthVader
08-13-2003, 11:13 PM
Thanks Pendo...those little spoilers are awesome!

I am guessing Vader comes from the word "invade" but I could be wrong...just a hypothesis.

Jedi Clint
08-13-2003, 11:14 PM
Also, the dominate emotional impact of the Kenobi - Skywalker duel is "betrayal".

RobertDD
08-14-2003, 02:24 AM
Thanks Pendo...those little spoilers are awesome!

I am guessing Vader comes from the word "invade" but I could be wrong...just a hypothesis.

In Dutch, Vader means father (that's right, we knew long before ep V)

dr_evazan22
08-14-2003, 02:58 AM
Der Vader = the father

or

Darth Vader = Dark father

plo koon 200
08-14-2003, 03:36 PM
I have a feeling we will see Sidious battle Yoda. However, I doubt Sidious will use a lightsaber. I think it will be similiar to ESB with Vader being able to block bullets. I think Sidious can block lightsaber hits, or actually be hit by a lightsaber without injury. This would be the "ultimate move". Yoda could not do much and probably flee. This would also make sense considering Sidious tells Luke to strike him down. If Luke were, and my theory holds true, then Luke would only have made a fool of himself. Anyways, my two cents. Probably a ridiculous idea or something to good for Lucas to even dream of.

Imperial Monarche
08-14-2003, 06:05 PM
Anyways, my two cents. Probably a ridiculous idea or something to good for Lucas to even dream of.

Oh, but it was Lucas who came up with Vader blocking the blaster bolts in ESB, it was Lucas who came up with the pod racing scene, it was Lucas who came up with the enite Star Wars saga's story. I'm getting sick of this "Lucas is too dumb to come up with a cool idea like that". Get over it, give the man his credit. He coulda been too dumb to come up with Star Wars in the first place! Be happy, quit knocking him.

Sorry, I got off topic. I didn't get a chance to chime into the chat last night, but I'm surprised of how many spoilers he dropped. Wow! I'm starting to like hearing from Rick.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-14-2003, 06:59 PM
Jar Jar living? Yay! Hopefully he doesn't hang around with Luke and Obi-Wan though . . . :p
What's the big deal with finding out who's born first?
I guess Palpatine will have to start moving in on Anakin fairly quickly, then . . .
What other dark powers does Palpatine have? Kickin' saber combat capabilities???
Wouldn't the droids malfunction underwater?

joe-da
08-14-2003, 08:27 PM
Anakin gets his name change.

I can't wait for the scene when he pulls the name "Darth Vader" out of a clone trooper's helmet, filled with several other Darth-preceded names.

TheDarthVader
08-14-2003, 10:39 PM
I can't wait for the scene when he pulls the name "Darth Vader" out of a clone trooper's helmet, filled with several other Darth-preceded names.

:D That is how he will get his name of course. Everyone knows that! ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2003, 04:59 PM
On the TFN summary of the chat, they said that Rick revealed that the bad guy would have two lightsabers. Asajj Ventress, maybe???

Jedi Clint
08-17-2003, 12:49 AM
On the TFN summary of the chat, they said that Rick revealed that the bad guy would have two lightsabers. Asajj Ventress, maybe???

Actually, Pendo's relay of this part was more accurate than TF.net:

"- Dooku only uses one lightsaber, but someone else uses two (and he's 'bad')."

Pendo
08-17-2003, 07:21 AM
Could be Sidious who uses two :). But IMO I don't think we should see Sidious duel.

PENDO!

plo koon 200
08-18-2003, 12:43 AM
Could be Sidious who uses two :). But IMO I don't think we should see Sidious duel.

PENDO!
100% agree. I kind of like the idea of my earlier post of him being able to block lightsaber hits.
I have a feeling we will see Vader in costume wield two. However, Sidious dueling is a possibilty. I think if that is so that would be the one bad thing about EIII, especially after we have already seen EVI.

The Overlord Returns
08-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Well....if they name him Vader when he is still visibly Anakin....the film is going to suck....end of story.

This clone thing anoys me as well.......ANY major character turning out to be a clone is just prepostorous....

I have a bad feeling about this....

TheDarthVader
08-18-2003, 02:08 PM
I agree. No main character should turn out to be a clone.
I agree. We should not see Sidious with a lightsaber. He is much too powerful in the force to have to use a lightsaber.

plo koon 200
08-19-2003, 08:32 AM
Well....if they name him Vader when he is still visibly Anakin....the film is going to suck....end of story.

100% agree. That would a bad decision on Lucas's part and the film would suck and then I would really cry when I saw the movie.

TheDarthVader
08-19-2003, 12:57 PM
I was thinking about who would be cloned...could it be...Obi-Wan Kenobi!!?? Won't Obi-Wan tell Owen that Obi-Wan is dead and he is now Ben Kenobi? Well, what if the clone of Kenobi dies...then the Empire might stop hunting him (jedi status). Somehow, since Anakin/Vader is close to him, maybe he is the only one that still "feels" Kenobi's presence. Because in ROTJ, Vader tells Palpatine about feeling Luke's presence and the emperor says, "Strange that I have not." Maybe it will be Kenobi who clones himself. Any other ideas?

The Overlord Returns
08-19-2003, 01:46 PM
I was thinking about who would be cloned...could it be...Obi-Wan Kenobi!!?? Won't Obi-Wan tell Owen that Obi-Wan is dead and he is now Ben Kenobi? Well, what if the clone of Kenobi dies...then the Empire might stop hunting him (jedi status). Somehow, since Anakin/Vader is close to him, maybe he is the only one that still "feels" Kenobi's presence. Because in ROTJ, Vader tells Palpatine about feeling Luke's presence and the emperor says, "Strange that I have not." Maybe it will be Kenobi who clones himself. Any other ideas?

Then he can be called:

OB1 - KNOB...... :rolleyes: :crazed: :cry:

I REALLY hope nothing anywhere near this convoluted happens......but I am rapidly losing faith.....the only thing worse would be having anakin get a clone....

TheDarthVader
08-19-2003, 06:33 PM
I was just speculating...but I believe I agree with you, overlord. It would be dumb for a main character to have a clone. I hope this does not happen. I hope the reason why Kenobi escapes the purge is because the Emperor feels that Kenobi will make mistakes with Luke just as he did with Anakin.
"I thought I could train him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong" - Obi Wan in Return of the Jedi

dr_evazan22
08-19-2003, 08:01 PM
Let's just hope that since Tem Morrison was back filming that a specific clone has a bigger part. maybe an ARC Trooper will make it's way into the film.

Jedi Clint
08-19-2003, 08:26 PM
Location Location Location

That is why Kenobi escapes the purge.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-19-2003, 08:48 PM
Maybe Obi-Wan really botches up the job of cloning himself, which is why they need a wax dummy. :p

Seriously, I hope nobody is a clone. The way it was phrased was that he could confirm or deny it, but he wasn't going to right now. So I doubt anyone is.

tagmac
08-20-2003, 12:38 AM
I REALLY hope this doesn't mean Han Solo is gonna turn out to be a clone and make a "surprise" appearance.

jawaboy
08-20-2003, 10:18 AM
Well, it's pretty simple who the clone is.

Darth Vader is the clone of Anakin.

"Darth Vader betrayed and murdered your father." Not even from a certain point of view, but for real.

I think the final duel will be quite unexpected. I think the final duel will be Anakin and Obi-wan fighting Darth Vader. Anakin will be killed by Darth. Obi-wan will then defeat Darth Vader and Palpy saves Darth and places him in the armor we know today.

It also explains why Darth Vader didn't know he had a son or daughter, because he is a clone.

Palpy can't trust people he turns to the Dark Side. They're too unpredictable. He can train a clone to his perfection though. And why not clone Anakin? He has the highest midi-chlorion count ever.

And perhaps Anakin's arm was cut off for a reason. Afterall, Palpy needs some tissue to get DNA out of for cloning.

This would be a huge plot twist.

The Overlord Returns
08-20-2003, 10:34 AM
Worst Ending EVER!

Pendo
08-20-2003, 11:22 AM
If that happened it may force me to give up Star Wars for life. If George did that he would never be forgiven! But he won't do that :)!

PENDO!

gtrain29
08-20-2003, 01:27 PM
Well, it's pretty simple who the clone is.

Darth Vader is the clone of Anakin.

"Darth Vader betrayed and murdered your father." Not even from a certain point of view, but for real.

I think the final duel will be quite unexpected. I think the final duel will be Anakin and Obi-wan fighting Darth Vader. Anakin will be killed by Darth. Obi-wan will then defeat Darth Vader and Palpy saves Darth and places him in the armor we know today.

It also explains why Darth Vader didn't know he had a son or daughter, because he is a clone.

Palpy can't trust people he turns to the Dark Side. They're too unpredictable. He can train a clone to his perfection though. And why not clone Anakin? He has the highest midi-chlorion count ever.

And perhaps Anakin's arm was cut off for a reason. Afterall, Palpy needs some tissue to get DNA out of for cloning.

This would be a huge plot twist.

That would be quite a twist -- I almost like it -- almost!
But, they've already stated that Anikin will be faced with a choice and pick the dark side, so I don't think we'll see the above take place. Probably for the best, though.

jawaboy
08-20-2003, 02:15 PM
If Vader is a clone, it also explains why he doesn't recognize C-3PO, R2, or Princess Leia (and possibly Chewbacca), not to mention Luke.

It also explains why Vader refers to Anakin in the OT in third person, such as "the son of Skywalker". Only in ESB does he reveal he is the sort-of father, maybe because he is longing for purpose just as Boba is.

It explains why the Emperor refers to Luke as the "son of Skywalker", not "your son".

And Anakin may have to make a choice as well, but which Anakin?

It explains Vader's disconnect with Tatooine.

It explains why Obi-wan refers to him only as Darth instead of Anakin when they meet again on the Death Star. He should've taunted him by calling him Anakin.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true!

Jargo
08-20-2003, 02:29 PM
I REALLY hope this doesn't mean Han Solo is gonna turn out to be a clone and make a "surprise" appearance.No Solo will only be a cabin boy if he does appear. Aboard the ship captained by Colton Antilles. :) Just like lucas planned all along.

The Overlord Returns
08-20-2003, 02:50 PM
If Vader is a clone, it also explains why he doesn't recognize C-3PO, R2, or Princess Leia (and possibly Chewbacca), not to mention Luke.

It also explains why Vader refers to Anakin in the OT in third person, such as "the son of Skywalker". Only in ESB does he reveal he is the sort-of father, maybe because he is longing for purpose just as Boba is.

It explains why the Emperor refers to Luke as the "son of Skywalker", not "your son".

It explains why Obi-wan refers to him only as Darth instead of Anakin when they meet again on the Death Star. He should've taunted him by calling him Anakin.

Please, PLEASE tell me this entire post is in jest.......

Pendo
08-20-2003, 04:17 PM

I think Obi only refers to Anakin as Darth because he refuses to acknowledge that it is him, that the person who was Anakin is dead (and I don't mean clone...).

If Vader does turn out to be a clone it would also make a lot of inconsistencies, such as Obi-Wan's conversation with Luke on Dagobah, Anakin return to the light side and his last words with Luke, all the talk of him actually being his father :rolleyes:. Vader is NOT a clone :).

PENDO!

Battle Droid
08-20-2003, 04:39 PM

What about what Vader said in ROTJ?

Luke - "I accept that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father."

Vader - "That name no longer means anything to me."

If it wasn't his name to begin with why would it have meant anything to him then?

He doesn't call him Anakin cause he doesn't see him as Anakin anymore, just like he doesn't see him as a man any more, but as a machine. Anakin betrayed him.

Jon
08-20-2003, 06:17 PM
Vader being a clone would destroy the ENTIRE Star Wars Trilogies. How much would they then have to change in the Archival Edition to explain it all. Obi Wan tells Luke in Jedi that Vader is his father. Yoda tells Luke that Vader is his father. Vader tells Luke he is his father. The Emperor tells Luke that Vader is his father. The whole "son of Skywalker" thing the Emperor says in ESB is going to be changed anyway I think. The Archival Edition should have McDiarmid in that scene and the dialogue should be slightly changed.
The major clone thing might be a smokescreen from Tricky Rick. Something to give the fanboys a chance to debate for a year or so and turn out not to mean a thing. Or what if the clone is a major character who has not been introduced yet? Too vague to really speculate.
NO VADER CLONE!

Jedi Clint
08-20-2003, 09:42 PM
All this talk of another cloned character is pointless:

Hey Pendo, I think the question was "....Can you either confirm or deny....." to which Mcallum answered "Yes".

By saying "Yes", Mcallum was only saying he could confirm OR DENY that there was another cloned character.

RooJay
08-21-2003, 08:42 PM
If Vader is a clone...

NO! That CAN'T be true! That's IMPOSSIBLE!

And about this notion of Sidious not dueling - I'm gonna have to majorly disagree. I think Palpatine/Sidious dueling would be the coolest thing since, well...EVER!

Here's how I imagine it goin' down (not that I think this is gonna happen, mind you, but bear with me):

Mace Windu requests an emergency meeting with the Supreme Chancellor to address some majors concerns he has regarding the course of the war, some of the questionable acts he suspects Palpatine may have had a hand in and a whole mess of rumors regarding some of the major events that have occurred.

There's a brief and terribly tense scene where Mace presses Palpatine for answers when suddenly we see a sense of realization come over Master Windu's face...

The "menace" is no longer a "phantom" as Sidious realizes that the time has finally come.

A few beats pass as Mace struggles to make sense of the truth he is quickly coming to see as Palpatine reaches within his robes and produces two wicked looking lightsaber blades that he holds at his sides, arms splayed as if basking in the moment of standing finally revealed; finally free of the silly charade.

In the space between seconds, the kindly and wizened (though recently rather haggard looking) expression on his face rapidly darkens and contorts into the wicked, hateful visage of the Emperor Palpatine we have known from Return of the Jedi, and he quickly ignites the to ruby reds blades of his Sith weapons.

Windu, suddenly coming to terms with the sense that had been nagging at the back of his mind since the funeral of Qui-Gon Jinn, snaps his violet blade to life and quickly brings it to parry. He can suddenly and dreadfully feel the power of the Dark Side, long and deeply hidden behind a mask of geniality, wisdom and noblility coursing through the man whom he has recently helped take control of the galaxy!

The fight is on. When it is over, Jedi Master Mace Windu will have met his spectacular end, and the fate of the galaxy is left in the hands of the Master of the Sith.

I give myself chills. ;) :D

tagmac
08-21-2003, 11:41 PM

Actually, I think Vader DOES recognize Threepio, which is why he keeps Fett from shooting at Chewie in the Carbon Freeze Chamber.

As for Tatooine, Vader never once sets foot on the planet when it was neccessary to find what he wanted, as he did with Hoth, Bespin, and Endor. I still think he does indeed have a connection with Tatooine, and refuses to set foot on there because it is a painful reminder of his past.

And as for the other references, from a storyline standpoint, it was simply to preserve the "I am your father" surprise for the audience.

Hellboy
08-21-2003, 11:58 PM
Very interesting idea RooJay. :cool: That would definatly satisfy Sam Jacksons desire to go out in a blaze of glory.

I'm not totally opposed to Sidious weilding a lightsaber like others but it needs to be done right. Many people seem to be making the arguement that Sidious wouldn't need to use a lightsaber because of his dark side powers but I see it a bit differently. I think using a lightsaber in combat is a matter of honoring the traditions of the Jedi/Sith, otherwise why would Yoda and Dooku have used them in AOTC when they obviously didn't need to. This might be reason enough for Sidious to engage in this form of combat maybe gaining some sort of satisfaction by toying with his opponent in this manner before slaying them.

I'm kinda surprised that nobody has suggested that the clone in EP III might be Darth Maul. Though unlikely it would be possible.

Pendo
08-22-2003, 10:36 AM
I'm kinda surprised that nobody has suggested that the clone in EP III might be Darth Maul. Though unlikely it would be possible.

We went through all that with Episode II :rolleyes:! I think bringing back Maul as a clone would be a baaaaad idea. He wasn't that great, and I don't think there should be any more of him.

I think the only clones in this movie are Jango clones :).

PENDO!

dr_evazan22
08-27-2003, 04:47 PM
I was having a rare day today, as I'm off from all jobs and had time to go to the pool. I took w/ me my latest Insider for reading.

Well, as I'm reading along it covers Slick Rick's Chat.

Quote:
Floating Goatee:Will there be any new bad guys in this film of great importance, or will it simply be Dooku, Sidious and Vader.
RMcC:Yes, expect someone serious.

pruette21: Will any characters from the Clone Wars cartoon shorts appear in Episode III?
RMcC: Yes.

unquote

So we've got someone from the cartoon and a new baddie; possibly one and the same.

Pendo
08-27-2003, 05:14 PM
The someone from the cartoon will probably be Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padmé, the droids, etc...

PENDO!

2-1B
02-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Ask him to say hi to Caesar :D

How did I manage to never post in this thread ? :eek:

:thumbsup: