PDA

View Full Version : What rehashes would you like to see

gtrain29
08-14-2003, 12:41 PM
This is kind of funny because I am always outspoken against any rehashes. I just never thought it made sense to rerelease a figure that was supposed to be an exclusive since it is usually done in a worse likeness than the original.
We usually list new figures that we would like to see made, but I got to thinking on the subject and there are some rehashes I would buy if they were ever done.
First and foremost for me would be a better Boba. I would love to see him done in the Ultimate Jango style. Just as Jango had 2 different packs and sets of gauntlets, Boba could have his ESB and ROTJ armors -- and especially the 2 different guns he used. I would want 2 of them so I could display one with the ESB figs and one with the ROTJs.

Other than that, and depending on how well the upcoming biker scout does, I think rehashing the imperial soldiers would be a great idea.
The stormtrooper has not been seen in a long time and could be vastly improved to make it more realistic. Isn't the stormtrooper one of the "core characters" hasbro always says they must produce in every wave? Then give us an improved version!
The same could go for the sandtroopers. In fact, they could just make one with all the different pauldrons (were there 4? orange, white, grey, black). That way, people could buy as many as the liked and interchange the pauldrons to their liking. Again, this would have to be a better proportioned figure with more realistic armor. I would buy at least 4 of them.
How about that Royal Guard? I loved the version that came in the emperor 2 pack even though I hate the transparent visor. This guy was so cool it's just a shame he was never released individually. With a black visor and better fitting helmet I think he would sell well. I wouldn't mind having 6!
My final choice for rehashes is Chewbacca. They never have got this guy right. The teddy bear style didn't work, and even worse was the horrid plastic version. I love the real fur idea, but it has to be done as a body suit over an articualted body that can actually stand up! Furthermore, we can't have a 12 or 13" Chewie, we need him to be at least 15". If done right he could be sold at a higher price since he would be larger. I would just love to have a Chewbacca that could actually wear the masterpiece take-apart 3po on his back.

Kidhuman
08-14-2003, 03:26 PM
15" Chewie sounds real good.
Boba Fett
IG-88
I missed the last Vader(my wally worldonlygot them once) so a Vader would be cool for me

Cant thinkof any more right now

Jaff
08-14-2003, 04:10 PM
I'd like to see NO REHASHES. The 12" line has not even begun to make all that is nearly available. They are doing too many rehashes as it is. 12" Han in Lando wave. 12" Luke and Biker Scout in Ewok Wave. Jawas in Garindan Wave. Where's lando in General, Barada, Weequay.........

I guess you can see where my opinion is coming from.

Exhaust Port
08-14-2003, 11:54 PM
At some point rehashes will be more of an interest from the fans as the movies wind down. I think when all is said and done I'll be interested in seeing a resculpt of the earlier 12" releases. Heck, we're already approaching 10 years since the release of the first Stormtrooper and other than that awful sculpt we haven't had a decent version released State side.

As gtrain29 said, I think the Ultimate version of the more popular figures would be welcome. I don't want just a new body or head I want the whole package deal to be different. Give us a new body, sculpt, accessories, paint version, etc. Boba Fett would be a perfect first canidate for this treatment.

I also agree with you Jaff, we have a long list of other figures we'd like to see made first but still the idea of a properly made figure of some of the most popular characters is tempting.

JediTricks
08-15-2003, 01:58 AM
Stormtrooper
Boba Fett
Ep 2 Obi-Wan (I hated his facial hair paint)
Ep 2 Anakin (I hated the head on both versions)
Chewie
Vader w/ more articulation
ANH Leia
Bespin Luke w/ better outfit and headsculpt
R2 w/ more tools!

And we gotta get rid of these crappy bodies and giant heads. And more accessories per figure!

I have a ton of "never done" figures on my list that I'd like to get as well though.

Battle Droid
08-15-2003, 11:45 AM
Ep1 Battle Droid (In Red AOTC finish)
Super Battle Droid (with corrected firing arm)

yngadult
08-15-2003, 01:57 PM
Stormtroopers, Sandtroopers, Boba Fett and Rebel pilots but to the quality & detail of the Japanese SW figs. I'd like to see the armor fit snugly and see more points of articulation like the 12" figs from Dragon & 21stC.

gtrain29
08-15-2003, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I don't have a problem with what you're saying, Jaff. However, since hasbro insists on doing rehashes with every wave, I just think they should make them worth our while.
The CS Luke Jedi was perfect; there was no reason to make 2 more versions. The CS Han was okay, but the new one is just plain awful. The same goes for most of the other rehashes as well -- they don't make any sense!
I, too, have a huge list of new figures I would like to see produced, but since hasbro is going to do rehashes whether we like it or not, I wish they'd improve these "core" characters they talk about that weren't that great in their first releases.
Making a new luke jedi or han makes no sense since they were good the first time around, but we never got a good chewie or stormtrooper so why not use one of them as the core character in the wave. Plus, there's a lot more potential to selling multiple stormtroopers than there is for Luke jedis.

Jaff
08-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Army Builder 12" is much more desired than other figs, I'm just stubbornly anticipating a full new wave of figs from the classic trilogy. We haven't had that since the Zuckuss (awsome) wave. I say deny impulses to buy rehashes, and force Hasbro to focus on making all new figs, then after a short time we start begging for rehashes. Right now they make about 9 new classic 12" a year + exclusives. So far this year, and upcomming we have:

Plo Koon
Han Solo
Lando in Skiff
AT-ST Driver
Gamorrean Guard
Speeder Bike with Leia
Ewoks
Luke in Jedi
Yoda with Council Chair
Biker Scout
Jawas
Garindan
Classic Obi-Wan

That's 8 new figs (2 prequel, 6 classic), and 5 rehashes. The rehashes beat the ratio for new prequel figures, and almost match the new classic ratio. It stuns me, but it's marketing. Hasbro is extending the line because I believe the 12" will outlive the 3 3/4 line after Episode III is done. Why do I say that, it will be a very long time at 15 to 20 a year (including prequels) to even make enough figs for us to see a BoShek, or Wuher. Here is last years list.

Anakin Skywalker
Clone Trooper
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Mace Windu
Yellow Clone Trooper
Red Clone Trooper
Ki-Adi Mundi
Jango Fett
Count Dooku
Zam Wessel
Super Battle Droid
Luke Skywalker with Tauntaun
Dengar
Zuckuss
Imperial Officer
Geonosian Warrior
Anakin Skywalker (screaming tatooine)
Padme Amidalla
Boushh with Carbonite Block

Okay this list is from a movie year so naturally a lot of new prequel 12 inch were made. Of a total there were 19 12" figs made. 14 were from the new movie, but what was most suprising is of the figures just introduced there were 3 rehashes that year (Yellow and Red Clone Trooper, and Anakin {Tatooine}. There was also a Mace that was a rehash that did not even stand up to the original. The Classic films had 5 new 12" made. Of the five only 3 were new. The ratio for new classic is identical to this years, however if you count the tauntaun and that ugly carbonite block there were more rehashes then new figs, of course I don't count the tauntaun and Carbonite because I count only packaged pieces.

I guess I'm just debating that we buy these rehashes, thus encouraging Hasbro to make more by doing so. Have you noticed that a Jango Fett 3 3/4 fig has not been made for over a year since Jango Pilot. That's because we have not bought many of them (although I did) and they have clogged shelves. We send them a message, they recieved it, and now most of the 3 3/4 stuff is mostly new for the next 4 or 5 months. A case to this point is all the Anakin rehashes, plo-Koon, Ki-Adi, Dooku, and countless Mace variations.

I guess in the end if you asked me what figs I would like rehashed I'm reluctant to say because rehashes for the classic line are almost literally more dominant than new figs, but to honor your post topic I would say a new Chewbacca would be cool. Still I'd hate to see it announced because of the trend. Anyways I enjoy debating this topic so if you have some good insights or want some more study on this topic I'm all yours (internetly speaking of course). :p

gtrain29
08-16-2003, 03:27 PM
When you present the numbers that way, it really is sickening to see how much resources hasbro wastes making already-produced figures.

What really made me the angriest was when I had worked so hard to pick up every CS exclusive only to see the them come out later (usually inferior in quality) to every store -- except bib and ds gunner.
I have never bought a rehash that I can think of, yet hasbro keeps making at least one in every wave -- now it looks like 2 or 3 to a wave in the coming waves. That's why I just came to the conclusion that they must sell well or else hasbro couldn't keep this up. Also, I can't understand how a wave as great as the dengar/zuckuss/imp has clogged up shelves for so long. Those are 3 completely new and very high quality figures, yet they didn't seem to sell well.
So I figured maybe hasbro is right, and they have to make rehashes with every wave to keep the line alive. Therefore, I wanted a compromise that maybe they could make rehashes that actually make sense as I listed previously.
Tell me if I'm wrong, because I don't want to be right about the above. Before this, I always thought hasbro did rehashes because it was cheap & easy, and for some reason all the collectors bought them up. But when I look at shelves, I don't see that disgracefull 2nd anakin they made and the new han, terrible as it is, can't hit shelves fast enough. Yet, Dooku, SBD, Dengar, Zuckuss, and Imp Officer remain. As great as the ATST driver is, it will probably suffer a similar fate, too.

Jaff
08-16-2003, 06:59 PM
I too suffered the fate of exclusive collecting. I got the Han and Luke Stormtrooper, tarkin, AT-At Driver and the rest only to see them reproduced. As you can tell I'm not a big fan of reproductions, and you can tell that I am a very big fan of annalyzing case assortments and release dates of stuff. After all I work in retail, and I want to understand what Hasbro is thinking when they market stuff, and you know what: They're geniuses. Take last year for example. The super posed saga crap figures were made when they were guaranteed to sell. This way later next year they can reproduce those they haven't allready reproduced. Plus they rereleased a Ki-Adi, Plo Koon, SaeSee Tinn, Mace, Battle Droid and R2 right when they released the movie. SaeSee, Plo and Ki were not major characters, but were reproed for kiddies to buy when the film was released. This year they have already retooled or repackaged a bunch of figures, and several vehicles (Gunship, Jedi Fighter, TIE, Droid Federation Tank, A-Wing, and TIE Bomber) without making significant new ones besides the Shuttle and Speederbikes.

12" is very similar to the 3 3/4 trend, but the complicated thing about the 12" is that they are for fans mainly. Kids want action figures, so Hasbro markets them differently. The big problem with the 12" figures is that they only ship new assortments for two months usually. Unlike the 3 3/4 figs (which is usually a new case a month with reassorting older figures) the 12" are never repacked in new assortments. So if you missed them too bad. However if Hasbro anticipates that new cases are going to be a smash success (Dooku wave, Bossk wave, Zuckuss wave) they ship many of these cases and sometimes choose to keep them live for three or four months. Only so many collectors will buy so many so the existing leftovers sit on the shelves because they were overproduced. I'm glad Hasbro overshipped these waves because I got those wonderful 12" dolls. However the sting is the assortment after the heavy shipped wave. After the Zuckuss wave the Lando Wave was next and it was harsh because store shelves are full of overshipped 12". Hasbro noticing this cut back on shipping these figs heavily like Zuckuss mainly because stores did not nibble. That's why we are having a problem with Lando. The Luke wave with Ewoks is out now and thanks to stores realighning their planograms they should not be too hard to find after mid-September. However if they are overshipped because stores have cleared out the older figs and need new stuff to fill shelves than the Garindan wave will be hard to get. Personally I want them to ship light on Luke, and Garindan, and the next wave with three new figs will ship heavy.

So that's basically how it works. I think Hasbro should leave the rehashes as exclusives so they are harder to get and more collector based for package or value. Leave strict three new case assortments and ship medium on a regular basis. But if Hasbro did that than by the end of the first year of Episode III release 12" collectors would have too many dolls, not enough room, or would have enough 12" to satisfy their collecting needs. So the way they are doing it now ensures that those who collect heavy now may drop out in by Dec 2005, but collectors like me who buy only newly produced figs will still be drooling by the end of 2005. It is a very smart marketing strategy. I just don't like it cause I'm greedy for new 12".

Tycho
08-16-2003, 11:22 PM
I would like a good Bespin Han (head sculpt) perhaps in a 2-pack with an all-new Bespin Gown Leia (maroon gown she wore to the famous dinner scene.)

A really awesome 2-pack would package them either holding hands, or with Han shooting! But I want neutral expressions on their faces (not surprise at seeing Vader, or whatever).

Some of you guys' other ideas are great. I hope Plo Koon reships or is clearance somewhere! R2 with tools would be nice to see again, perhaps with an E2 C-3PO, or in a droid 3-pack, with a Battle Droid (red) with a head that's interchangeable with C-3PO!

That would rock!

darthzirock
11-08-2003, 12:56 AM
Let's face it, a lot of the 12" line has been less than stellar. Has there ever been a truly decent 12" version of Leia? Was the first "Action Collection" 12" Vader an insult to both collectors and the character? Are you sick of collecting Lukes that look more like a member of The Bee Gees than Mark Hamill?

In this thread, let's talk about the characters that either still need to be made, or ones that need a "do-over" because the first (and in most cases only) versions were pretty lame.

I'll start off by saying, yes, we need another Darth Vader.

I'm sorry, but while the 14" Electronic Vader was pretty nifty, I know that, with today's technological improvements, Hasbro can do even better. Shoot, I don't need a sixth-scale Vader that talks and wheezes, just one that looks awesome! For variety's sake, give him the costume from ANH instead of TESB or ROTJ. Don't bother with a removable helmet, but please make the dome a separate piece that is attached to the head. A cape with a real chain at the throat would be very nice, and a chromed lightsaber handle would be great!

bobafrett
11-08-2003, 01:27 AM
Boba Fett, and the Stormtrooper. I feel both look terrible, but at the same time realize that the troopers armor might not be the easiest thing to make fit right without looking to bulky. Maybe they should try something slimmer for the body. And Boba Fett's head looked much to small, at least the collectors edition one.

JediTricks
11-08-2003, 05:09 AM
Agree with everything said here so far.

I'd also like to see a better:
- Luke Bespin
- R2 w/ tools (the first one is great, but let's have more tools, more doors, dome doors, and a lightsaber-lauching feature :D)
- Chewbacca (no more plush or hair or crappy articulation!)
- Han Solo
- Leia ANH
- Obi-Wan AOTC (better head sculpt and facial hair design)
- Luke Pilot (one with gloves and a flight stick, maybe the snowspeeder jacket as well)

Here's my list of never-done-yet figures I'd like to see: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?p=125420&postcount=19
(you'll notice only a pathetic 2 from my list have been produced since then, possibly 3 if you count Obi-Wan)

oh, and here's an old rehashes thread: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20765
(you'll notice my current list is eerily similar to my old one ;))

derek
11-08-2003, 12:54 PM
honestly i'd really like to see hasbro break their 12 inch line into two categories.

one branch of the line could cater to the kids, and hasbro could continue to product the 12 inch line in it's current form, just lower the price to about $10-$12 and slap the 12 inch figures on a blister card like they do with GI Joe.

and then the other branch of the line could be priced higher, be massively detailed and appeal strictly to the collector, with figures priced in the $40 range.

for $40 a figure, i'd expect dragon/bbi/sideshow/marmit quality figures.

all of the core characters need to be re-done, with super accurate head sculpts, awesome paint jobs, very fine tailored clothing, all on a new super articulated 12 inch body.(not hasbro's 11 inch super joe with claw hands!)

of course vader and chewbacca would need to be on 14 and 15 inch bodies, and shorter characters like luke could be on a modified short body.

hasbro has proven over and over that trying to appeal to the collector, while making child friendly products just does not work. this line needs to be split in two, so the collecting needs of children and adults can be met, just like hasbro and master replicas have done in regards to making lightsabers. (actually i'd prefer sideshow be allowed to make these collector figures instead of hasbro attempting it themselves...they can stick with the kid toys!)

darthzirock
11-08-2003, 02:02 PM
actually i'd prefer sideshow be allowed to make these collector figures instead of hasbro attempting it themselves...they can stick with the kid toys!

I sincerely doubt that Hasbro would agree to splitting the figure rights with anyone else, no matter what the circumstances! Now, it would be very cool if Hasbro perhaps subcontracted these 12" Collector's Edition figures to someone else, like Sideshow Toys or Marmit. But I doubt that will ever happen, either. Too bad, because I can see Hasbro making these incredibly bad sixth-scale stinkers right up through 2018! :frus:

derek
11-08-2003, 02:34 PM
I sincerely doubt that Hasbro would agree to splitting the figure rights with anyone else, no matter what the circumstances! Now, it would be very cool if Hasbro perhaps subcontracted these 12" Collector's Edition figures to someone else, like Sideshow Toys or Marmit. But I doubt that will ever happen, either. Too bad, because I can see Hasbro making these incredibly bad sixth-scale stinkers right up through 2018! :frus:

i too doubt it would happen, but hasbro could easily arrange it so a sideshow type company wouldn't compete with hasbro's market share. currently sideshow only sells online and in speciality stores. hasbro could continue to cater to the mass market retailers. as it is now, target and walmart, two of the countries biggest retailers aren't even selling the 12 inch line, and most collectors don't buy the 12 inch line due to it's poor quality.

hasbro really has nothing to loose by dumping the 12 inch line and letting a better qualified company take over. :)

tagmac
11-08-2003, 07:28 PM
Just re-do Chewbacca...use a solid body with fur covering it, and make it 14" tall..the way it SHOULD have been.

JediCole
11-08-2003, 11:06 PM
I would love to see a 12" scale Momaw Nadon (Hammerhead). I've always considered this to be one of the coolest alien designs and I want to see him given the 12" treatment.

Others I would like to own:

Lama Su and/or Taun We
Coleman Trebor
Amanaman
Gonk Droid
Lobot
Nein Nunb
Naboo Pilot (or Ric Olie)

I am sure there are others, but I am drawing a blank.

Jaff
11-09-2003, 07:17 AM
Chewbacca should be redone, as for the rest of the figures I don't really care if they remake them because I want to see new 12" that we have never seen before this point. Jedicole hit some of my requests on his post. Figs like Amanaman, Nien Numb, Gonk, and Lobot are ones I like to see.

Rather than resculpts I would rather see in order
2-1B
Hammerhead
Snaggletooth
Power Droid
Bespin Security Guard
Ugnaught
Ree Yees
Weequay

I would jump for these over resculpts any day, however since they release new resculpts with every wave I guess I would like a resculpt for:

Chewbacca
Luke Bespin
Leia ANH

Turbowars
11-09-2003, 11:39 AM
I'll start off by saying, yes, we need another Darth Vader.

I'm sorry, but while the 14" Electronic Vader was pretty nifty, I know that, with today's technological improvements, Hasbro can do even better. Shoot, I don't need a sixth-scale Vader that talks and wheezes, just one that looks awesome! For variety's sake, give him the costume from ANH instead of TESB or ROTJ. Don't bother with a removable helmet, but please make the dome a separate piece that is attached to the head. A cape with a real chain at the throat would be very nice, and a chromed lightsaber handle would be great!Ummm, didn't we get a pretty nice Vader w/ real metal chain in the 12" Masters of the Dark Side 2 pack?

Turbowars
11-09-2003, 11:41 AM
I want FX-7, R1, 2-1B, Better Stormy, Clone, Chewy and Fett

Old Fossil
11-09-2003, 03:25 PM
As far as unproduced characters, I only really care to see Hammerhead. He would be most impressive in a 12" incarnation! They should have made him before they made Garindan, anyway.

As for resculpts, I would like to see a new and improved Admiral Ackbar.

tagmac
11-09-2003, 04:13 PM
Ahh yes.....I completely forgot. The Ugnaught is definitely at the top of my wish list for 6" treatment.....shoulda' been released instead of the ridiculous jawa rehash we're getting.

Darth Christopher
11-10-2003, 01:39 PM
As far as unproduced characters, I only really care to see Hammerhead. He would be most impressive in a 12" incarnation! They should have made him before they made Garindan, anyway.

As for resculpts, I would like to see a new and improved Admiral Ackbar.

I think the first Ackbar was just fine. But I definitely join you in desperately wanting a 12" Hammerhead. And as in other posts, the original 21 vintage small figures should be done in 12", leaving Hammerhead, Snaggletooth, and the Gonk Droid on the to-do list.

Attached is someone's beautiful, custom 12" Hammerhead, which I forget where I got it (eBay maybe?). If only Hasbro would see this picture and use it as their model, not to mention read these posts and hear what us hardcore 12" collectors really want (sigh).

Turbowars
11-10-2003, 02:13 PM
I think the first Ackbar was just fine. But I definitely join you in desperately wanting a 12" Hammerhead. And as in other posts, the original 21 vintage small figures should be done in 12", leaving Hammerhead, Snaggletooth, and the Gonk Droid on the to-do list.

Attached is someone's beautiful, custom 12" Hammerhead, which I forget where I got it (eBay maybe?). If only Hasbro would see this picture and use it as their model, not to mention read these posts and hear what us hardcore 12" collectors really want (sigh).That looks great, the heads too small though.

bobafett07728
11-10-2003, 02:14 PM
Off the top of my head. . . some 12" that need a make-over:

Any Leia. . . they've been botching her up since day one
A new Darth Vader. . .
A better looking Luke. . .
Chewbacca. . . he hasn't had a good figure that I can remember
Zam Wessell. . . possibly the worst 12"? (I know its a new release. . . but she sucked.)

For the one's I would like to see made. . . I will re-use my old list. . . only two have been made (Gamorrean & Lando Skiff):

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=211386&postcount=43

tagmac
11-10-2003, 06:08 PM
They made a 12" Skiff Lando?! Funny...you wouldn't know it around here. :frus:

Turambar
11-10-2003, 09:58 PM
I don't want to go into the rehash list again, but since it is always fun to relist figs I want to see, here goes:
How many 12"ers do you think we'll see before the end of the line? My guestimate is 2yrs after E3 will be all for the 12" line. At about 12 figs/year with 1/3 being rehashes, and 2005 & some of 06 probably being devoted to E3, I, again, guestimate maybe 25 non-E3, non-rehash figures to go. We already know the first new fig of 04, and including some of the rumored figures:
1. Garindan
2. Max Rebo
3. Droopy McCool
4. Sy Snoodles
5. Hammerhead
6. Weequay
7. Oola (listed with weequay at one time on EE in the lando skiff wave)
8. Sen Palpatine (will we ever see this final E1 wave that never got off
9. Nute Gunray the drawing board? I can't remember all the figures that were
on the product sheet, so I just listed the 2 I would like to see.)
Now, on to dreaming:
10. Snaggletooth
11. Gonk to complete original 21
12. Lobot
13. Gen Veers/AT-AT Cmdr
14. Leia Bespin
15. 2-1B
16. FX-7
17. Lando General
18. Nien Numb
19. Teebo
20. Paploo
21. Dr. Evazan
22. Chanc Palpatine
For the last three, generic rebel troops would be cool: Hoth Rebel, Endor Rebel, Tantive IV Rebel, or Jabba's henchmen: Ree Yees, Squidhead, Amanaman.