PDA

View Full Version : Are the new A-Wing and Leia Speeder Bike going to be on-line exclusives?

JangoFart
08-14-2003, 01:51 PM
I was just checking out Target.com's site and noticed something new which hasn't been listed before. On both the A-Wing and Leia Speeder Bike, Target.com now says that the items are "web only" sales. This is the first I've heard of this. I already have my A-Wing and don't collect 12 inchers all that much, so it doesn't affect me. But, it might some of you others.

Here's the link to the A-Wing:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-5/qid=1060881566/ref=sr_1_5/601-4168779-2032160?asin=B00009R613

and Leia:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-4/qid=1060883460/ref=sr_1_4/601-4168779-2032160?asin=B00009R612

Any thoughts?

J

bobafett07728
08-14-2003, 01:56 PM
I'm not too sure what to make of it, but thanks to your post, I preordered the Leia Speeder Bike. Better be safe then sorry, huh?

Exhaust Port
08-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Wow, I didn't even notice that when I ordered my Speederbike. Perhaps Target was getting sick of their SW exclusives sitting around on the shelves for months after their release. The had that fire sale on the Luke Speederbike less than 2 weeks before it's release. Perhaps all our toy purchases will be online in the future.

JangoFart
08-14-2003, 03:18 PM
Surely better to be safe than sorry.

I think this is a potential good thing for Target and collectors. Doing these, and others in the future, as on-line exclusives can make more product available to more people who can't just walk across the street to a Target (like me) and will, potentially, cut down on the scalper issue - if Target were to limit the purchases.

I'm glad to see this, actually.

J

Exhaust Port
08-14-2003, 04:04 PM
I do like the online purchases but now that we're being charged tax you take quite a penalty by purchasing online. In addition to paying the same price you would get at a physical store there is the additional shipping charge that can be quite steep for items as large as the Speederbike. I use to purchase most of my toys online but with the addition of tax the benefit is gone so I'm back to store hopping.

yngadult
08-14-2003, 06:55 PM
Big 12" items like this take up a lot of shelf space. Luke ended up on Clearance. I'm glad Target is taking a chance with this one. It's easy for them to not have taken any orders for them.

Val Da Car
08-14-2003, 08:30 PM
10% off helps the combo of tax + freight...even though the state I live in doesn't charge tax on labor (to me the handling portion of shipping & Handling is labor) so that for the over tax for my purchase!!

btw the target code for 10% off is TCAF2SAVETEN (code expires 9/30)

I will use a coupon for online purchases if it gives me 10% off or free freight....

just like the kbtoys.com 20% off coupon that ended yesterday...it made me buy another shuttle...(diorama building) but hey for $79 before tax & freight beats the FAO Schwartz experience.

Nataku
08-15-2003, 09:46 AM
I was just checking out Target.com's site and noticed something new which hasn't been listed before. On both the A-Wing and Leia Speeder Bike, Target.com now says that the items are "web only" sales.
Any thoughts?

J

I believe that the "web only" designation above the price means that the PRICE is web only, as in Target retail stores will not price match to the web (should it show up in stores for $22.99 or whatever).

Target has run into trouble before when prices on the web didn't match the store. People tried to price match the "web-only" deals to the retail stores so Target had to implement this policy.

I see quite a few other items on the Target.com site that are listed as "web only" that I have seen in the stores...

Jeff

kool-aid killer
08-15-2003, 10:57 AM
I think we will see it in stores (at least i hope so, ive never ordered from a website) but thanks for the code Val Da Car.

Exhaust Port
08-15-2003, 11:44 AM
I believe that the "web only" designation above the price means that the PRICE is web only, as in Target retail stores will not price match to the web (should it show up in stores for $22.99 or whatever).

That's good to know for future releases. Thanks Nataku.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-15-2003, 12:55 PM
I just wanted to thank you for making me check if the A-wing was back in stock and it is!! My Targets suck and the employees are complete schmucks to collectors, so i just ordered it online. Thanks ya! :D

Val Da Car
08-15-2003, 01:03 PM
Not all Targets have schmucks that work there but I have a friend that has a buddy that stocks overnight at Target and he gets first pick at what is in the stock before he puts it out.

He has seen the Jedi council & Geonosian war room and already bought them.....

All I have seen is the shelf tag with a grey dot....(one employee said that the grey dot means discontinued). They might be getting the second wave in soon too...

bobafrett
08-15-2003, 01:28 PM
I agree, not all Target employees are schmucks, as I had one older gentleman go back and got me as box of figures that sat back there because the pegs were plugged with the wrong figures, even though they were the same price point.

The only thing I don't like about buying items like the Speederbike online are, I keep most of my figures carded/boxed, and ordering with having someone who doesn't care how nice your item looks when it arrives as opposed to being able to select from the ones one the shelf yourself.

Now I just wished I had picked up a few more of the Biker Scouts on there speederbikes when they had a whole endcap full of them at 1/2 price.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-15-2003, 01:32 PM
I also agree that not all Target employees are schmucks, hence why i said, "My Targets" not, everybody's Targets. I'm sure there are Target employees around that are good, but my local Target employees are pretty rude and kinda arrogant to collectors. :D

Sentinel18725
08-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Did anyone read the description of this:

Product Description
In Return of the Jedi, an A-wing fighter turned the tide of the battle by attacking an Imperial Super Star Destroyer, causing it to crash into the Death Star II. This replica of the fastest starfighter in the Rebel Alliance fleet has a new paint scheme and features retractable landing gear, a slide lever to raise and lower the cockpit canopy and dual "laser" cannons that pivot 360. Includes pilot with removable helmet. Imported. 3-3/4Hx12L".

Sounds to me like they were trying to avoid the whole pilot crashing thingy....such a sensitive nation we live in. :Pirate:

Hellboy
08-20-2003, 09:35 PM
Well I sure hope these show at retail but either way I got mine from their website. Like Bobafrett stated these don't always arrive in mint condition. I ordered 2 and both are dinged or torn in some way and I passed on the Leia because I knew the chances of getting her mint would be next to impossible with that box. I was planning on selling one of my A-Wing's to a friend who wants to open it with the hopes of finding a mint one at retail but I think I might hold off a bit and see what happens.

BTW for the most part the employees/managers at my local Target's are schmucks too and have no problem applying the standard stereotypes to all toy collectors instead of judgeing us on an individual basis. Those damn Hot-Wheels collectors have ruined it for all us polite toy customers in my area. :frus:

Val Da Car
08-20-2003, 11:41 PM
Hellboy!!!

I completely agree.. I also ordered two A Wings and they both showed up today and one was in minty great condition and the second one had a heavy box impact on it (crushed bubble, creasing and the corner all smashed.)

oh well...I will be opening up that one anyway.

Thunderstorm1
08-20-2003, 11:42 PM
Well I received mine the other day and both Items came in awesome shape

I would say that the Leia and Speederbike is about as mint as you can get an item that is shipped.

The A-wing to is in awesome shape. not bubble or corner dings at all.

I hate to hear the horror stories of others that ordered these and they came in bad shape, Guess I was lucky!

Val Da Car
08-20-2003, 11:47 PM
If you look closely at the A Wing picture in the back of the box it is a RED A Wing.....I guess the green A Wing is the one that crashed into the Star Destroyer..

Val Da Car
08-21-2003, 12:27 AM
Nope I was wrong...it is a red A Wing that crashes into the Super Star Destroyer....