PDA

View Full Version : Blackout Happening Now!! (merged)

CloneTrooperMace
08-14-2003, 04:43 PM
Hello,

I've Watching CNN & Fox News They Have been reporting on a blackout for NY,NJ,Canada,Ohio,Detroit and more State are going black Turn on your TV and Watch also reply here if you know what happened?

-CTM-

CloneTrooperMace
08-14-2003, 04:47 PM
Just In Fox News is saying ALL airports and Subways are closed in NY.In NY people are in the streets because they can't work.

-CTM-

Kidhuman
08-14-2003, 05:21 PM
Well they say a grid caught fire and started a chain reaction to other grids and caused a black-out. Not Terrorism though.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Not an act of terrorism?!? Pshaw!!! Oh, i think it is. Just what they want too.....the entire north-east unable to catch NBC's Must see TV Thursday Lineup!!!

This is crazy nuts though. Check out:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/08/14/power.outage/index.html

they're doing updates and whatnot. this is beyond crazy!

:D

El Chuxter
08-14-2003, 05:37 PM
I'd make a comment about Gray Davis, the recall, and the rolling blackouts in California a year or so ago, but it's too easy.

Remember: vote for ursine quadrupeds if you want this country to get back on track!! :crazed:

plasticfetish
08-14-2003, 05:39 PM
Looks like a pretty big mess.
A lot of people walking home from work in New York city.
"Niagara mohawk" power station knocked out ... tripped off breakers throughout the power grid. Really amazing to see just how fragile the whole system is.

CloneTrooperMace
08-14-2003, 06:25 PM
MSNBC News says some of the power is coming back.It mite take hours or a day to get it fulling working again.I would want to be in detroit right now.Do you think JP has power?

-CTM-

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
08-14-2003, 07:06 PM
This might cause a problem for me. I'm supposed to be flying to Canada tomorrow for my cousin's wedding this weekend. :frus:

Exhaust Port
08-14-2003, 07:13 PM
All the NYC, Cleveland and Detroit airports are shutdown so it could very well impact your trip. Hopefully this gets straightened out tonight or the airline situation could be screwed up for a while. Hey, maybe I'll get out of work for a few days! :D

I'm south of Cleveland and not only is that city down but Akron to the south of me and the neighboring towns/cities are out of power. For what ever reason we dodged the bullet here and never had a power interuption. It did knock out my internet connection for a while, some TV stations were down for an hour or 2 (some are still down) and the cell phon service is on and off probably due to call volume.

I have this feeling that there is one guy at the Niagara Falls power station that pulled the wrong switch. :D Oops..

CloneTrooperMace
08-14-2003, 08:49 PM
EP- Do you know if lakewood is out of power?Thanks

-CTM-

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-14-2003, 11:38 PM
As long as power is alright in Cuyahoga falls for my radiohead show next thursday, i'm happy. :D

bobafrett
08-15-2003, 12:20 AM
I'm in the dark about this..................get it "I'm in the dark". LOL It was interesting to see all those people in New York just walking home like it was all a part of some normal routine.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-15-2003, 12:56 AM
I agree, and i congratulate the fine folks of NY for NOT panicking. Lord knows if this would've happened in my town, i would've had to guard my house w/ any weapons necessary...well, not that bad, but people would be freaking out.

My dad called from Mansfield, OH and said that gas station lines off the hook; he said that some people were claiming that gas is going to shoot up to over $20.00 a gallon. I swear, people these days, anything freaks them out. :D

Exhaust Port
08-15-2003, 01:00 AM
I'm not 100% sure if Lakeland is out of power as it's on the far side of the lakeshore from me but my guess is that it did lose power. The entire lakeshore from Erie, PA to Detroit were without power. Who knows if it's back up by now.

The Falls are with power, at least the part I drove through, so you are in luck for your concert JMG. :)

JediTricks
08-15-2003, 01:36 AM
With the power off in NY, the internet traffic report for the US is like 10 points higher than our average. I guess now we know which city has been mucking up the web for the rest of us. :D

2-1B
08-15-2003, 04:26 AM
I blame it on Y2K . . . all that hype 3 years ago and he couldn't deliver. Pathetic attempt this time, really. :D

CloneTrooperMace
08-15-2003, 07:54 AM
There you go Caesar.JP if you can here me keep home with your kitties,Think it's a snow day :D .I guess JP is out of power over there in Lakewood,Ohio.

-CTM-

kool-aid killer
08-15-2003, 08:32 AM
It wouldnt be fun experiencing that but i hope the people affected by this blackout behave. So do some parts have power back by now? Im trying not to pay too much attention to the news because i hate when news stories are rammed into your head.

icatch9
08-15-2003, 09:02 AM
Here is something I thought of last night. Micro Soft is all worried about this Worm virus that is affecting alot of computers. So, they find that the guy who is running it is in NY or at least the east. So, they are the ones who turned out the lights on the east cost to stop this worm.

Now I have no details or any proof. Of course not, I just dreamed this up. It's still scary to think about how powerful MS is and to what lengths they would go to to save themselves. This sounds more like a plot to a B movie, but still stranger things have happened.

Exhaust Port
08-15-2003, 09:04 AM
Yeah, power is coming back at least here in Ohio. From the news it looks like power was also returning to New Jersey and New York. I don't know how much is back though. I don't have fancy cable so I only know what the local channels occasionally say.

I think everyone's been pretty civil during the whole mess. The only report I saw regarding a disturbance was looting in Ottawa I believe.

InsaneJediGirl
08-15-2003, 09:38 AM
I watched the news this morning,everyone seems to be remaining sane and not starting mass looting/riots.

I havent heard about a worm,ABCNews is talking about it happening in MI or somewhere in the Midwest.

vulcantouch
08-15-2003, 10:34 AM
. . .every time a civilian's first suspicion about a snafu or disaster is "maybe it's terrorism", terrorists (and possibly others) have scored an important psychological victory?
to keep a people so preoccupied with fear that in such situations their thoughts immediately focus on cause at the expense of effect is to keep a measure of control over them. the principle's the same whether you're a terrorist, or a government element looking to strengthen its mandate.
for now the blackout's cause may still be "undetermined"; but is anyone else reminded of the post-dominion-terror-attack, planet-wide power outage caused by starfleet conspirators on earth in ds9's prescient "homefront" ep? :Pirate:
vt

Exhaust Port
08-15-2003, 11:03 AM
to keep a people so preoccupied with fear that in such situations their thoughts immediately focus on cause at the expense of effect is to keep a measure of control over them.

It would be preoccupation if it was an issue when there wasn't an event such as this. Since the terrorism issue was only brought up after the blackout happened I think it was a honest concern not a result of being preoccupied with terrorism. Similarly, the issue of the Microsoft worm/virus was address by the NYC Mayor at the same time. His populus isn't preoccupied with computer viruses bringing down the city's computers it just that given recent events, people were concerned that it stemmed from a computer issue.

I feel it's healthy and wise to assume recent events are a cause of current events. It's better to plan or react as if it was a terrorist act initially then to wait to see what the official word is and perhaps get caught unprepared. If the same had been done when the first plane hit the WTC, how many more lives would have been spared in the second tower? Now, hind sight is 20/20 so it's not fair to fault the decisions made on that day but learning from them and acting/reacting differently as a result is a great move.

I think the entire NYC population maintained an incrediable level of control over themselves. To have 8 million people perform a self-evacuation is a feather in their cap.

DarthBrandon
08-15-2003, 02:00 PM
I think the entire NYC population maintained an incredible level of control over themselves. To have 8 million people perform a self-evacuation is a feather in their cap.

Well said Exhaust Port, I think they showed a great level of control with everything that went on. Let's not forget the other cities involved as well, they all behaved in an orderly fashion and also showed great restraint from doing anything wrong to embarrass themselves or their cities.

mabudonicus
08-15-2003, 09:48 PM
We lost all the power yesterday... it all went black.. it was really freaky here.... anyone else have any "dark week" stories?????

TeeEye7
08-15-2003, 10:05 PM
Add some palm trees to St. Catherines and you have California, a couple of summers ago, all over again!

My heart goes out to all of those affected. It can be a very scary thing. For instance I have an asthmatic son who, at times, is dependent upon a nebulizer for medication. No electricity; instant trip to the hospital.

Looks like things are improving, though :)

Exhaust Port
08-15-2003, 10:09 PM
There's a thread about this in the Other section. Yes, it hit our area here in Ohio.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-16-2003, 12:18 AM
Yes, our area in Western New York was affected. I was very fortunate that our family business did not lose power, for we operate an ice cream stand, and if it did, we would have had a goopy mess to clean up.

It was weird because areas a few blocks away had lost power and water supply. My house, which is just 7/10 of a mile away from our business had electricity but no water. Our business had both water and electricity.

Some people are idiots though, because they made a panic run to a neighborhood gas station to load up on gas (which is 10 cents higher than your average station). I must have seen 15-20 cars in line waiting to get gas.

All the power and water was restored in our area was restored at 9 p.m. Thursday. The only problem was that there was a backup at the local waste water treatement plant, and they are advising residents in our city to boil their water before drinking. I wish I had found that out before 5 p.m. the next day, but oh well. So far I have not had any problems.

The good news is that people remained relatively calm throughout the whole ordeal. These things bring a sense of togetherness. My mind harkened back to 9-11 and the unity that was displayed there. Also, for those who have studied a bit about the great November blackout of NYC in 1965, there have been some parallels that one can draw from those. Especially the talk of blaming Canada for the problem, for that infamous blackout was caused by a relay switch failure in Niagara Falls Ont, right here in my backyard.

2-1B
08-16-2003, 02:15 AM
good Scorpions album

Pendo
08-16-2003, 09:59 AM
I love blackouts! The UK have been promised blackouts around Christmas time :D:crazed::p!

PENDO!

Jargo
08-16-2003, 10:25 AM
They have? Good job I stocked up on candles then. Helps to cook with gas too. Thank god I don't rely on microwave meals. Electricity is all well and good but there's far too much dependency on it. I'm kind of old fashioned i guess in that I love using gas fires to heat the place and food tastes much better cooked over flame. True there's stuff like refridgerators that we've come to relyon but I reckon if push comes to pull I could live without electricity for a spell.
Still it's a traumatic experience for kids. I remember the winter of discontent here in the UK where the power companies went on strike and we had blackouts all the time. As a kid it scared the hell out of me. So I sympathise with all the kids out there feeling scared now. With luck the problems will be sorted out soon and won't happen again for a long long time.

mabudonicus
08-16-2003, 10:34 AM
We didn't get our power back til around 3 PM yesterday, just shy of 24 hours worth of blackout...
Yes, there was some looting in Ottawa, which is kinda strange if you are familiar with the area...
It was pretty weird.... all stores were closed in my area, and we don't have a car, so it was pretty dang inconvenient... we went to the only bar in all downtown that was open and just sorta hung out watching the semi-chaos..... a lot of folks were right freaked out, and rightly so... the officials couldn't even say what happened, it was lightning or something..... as others have said, the strangest thing was, IMO, the way power was knocked out in certain places and not others, several parts of our town and lots of little areas in the region never had any problems.... Even being vegetarian we lost some food, we had to make tea on the bbq (charcoal, too, really awkward) and we slept in our yard on a sleeping bag....
it was SO quiet....I actually kinda enjoyed it...
It is nutty how fragile the whole thing is....
Alls I can say is that all the "lurking terror" that is always talked about must be pretty lame if they couldn't do anything with such a huge window of opportunity... mebbe "they" aren't as bad as we've been told after all :D

Tonysmo
08-17-2003, 03:26 AM
Caesar! Dammit! you beat me to it.. I love that album.. hee hee

CooLJoE
08-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Lucky you. Power went out around 4:10pm Thursday for NE USA. I didn't get power back until 4-5am Saturday morning. Over 36 hours with no power. Luckily we had half water pressure the first day and then the pressure went to full later in the day on Friday. So we could atleast do basic cleanup during the outage.

vulcantouch
08-19-2003, 12:10 AM
ep: "the terrorism issue was only brought up after the blackout happened"
-my point is it was brought up Immediately after, which indicates it's always on the back of people's minds these days, ready to pounce on any opportunity to grip their imagination.

"It would be preoccupation if it was an issue when there wasn't an event such as this"
-but when Isn't there "an event such as this"? even on "reputable" news outlets i've heard speculation instantly crediting terrorists with everything from the west nile epidemic to forest fires to computer viruses to a couple of cessnas that collided in mid-air over my part of town this spring. it seems like a lot of americans now have terrorists on the brain, having allowed officials to whip them into nonspecific frenzies via useless "orange alert" nonsense they can't do anything with anyway. to me that's naked political opportunism, cuz it's the exact opposite way covert threats to a civilian population Should be handled. to illustrate w/another ds9 example, a quote from tain to garak in latter's Stitch In Time novel, about their obsidian order work:
"we're the 'night people'. while the rest of our compatriots sleep that's when we're working the hardest, dealing with the anxieties and fears that would otherwise destroy us. . . we have to give up our lives, bit by bit, to these secrets so that people will feel the security to go on with theirs- and do their work. if we tell them everything, if we give them all the information about the threats and dangers that surround us, they'll hate us for disturbing their peace and their ability to function. . . every citizen deserves security, and it's up to the night people to provide it."
contrast this quiet selflessness with the hamhanded "all americans should be on their toes for the next few days" our Ministry Of Homeland Security belches out like clockwork every couple of months.

"it's healthy and wise to assume recent events are a cause of current events"
-i say it's much more healthy to, in the absence of solid info, remember that terror is just one of Many Possible Causes, and that until that solid info arrives it's much more important to concentrate on handling the effects.
objectively we've long since won this first war on terror. terrorists haven't been able to keep up the momentum their 9-11 triumph could've given them. there's been no significant incursions on american security since then. the psychological war, however, is another matter. We are playing right into their hands, helping them keep up the momentum, by allowing our fear to overly influence our domestic, foreign & economic policy.

brando: "they showed a great level of control with everything that went on"
-i'm not disputing that. if anything, new yorkers took the occasion to briefly revive that barrier-melting sense of community that was necessary during 9-11, an instinctive sense of humanity with strangers that's pretty much felt only in times of disaster. what i'm saying is that the ongoing, stoked pre-occupation w/terror fears has an undue influence on our long-term national policies.

mab: "the 'lurking terror' that is always talked about must be pretty lame if they couldn't do anything with such a huge window of opportunity... mebbe 'they' aren't as bad as we've been told after all"
-it's a shame more of my fellow americans seem incapable of this more detached, objective perspective i've always admired about the canadian character (and which is no doubt helps gives rise to so much canuck comedic talent enriching our entertainment industry :) )
vt

darthvyn
08-19-2003, 06:09 PM
the blackout was really fun! i live on long island, new york... the sky was so full of stars... and mars was almost a peak brilliance, so it was great! i had a beer at my usual pub (or on the corner outside it... :sur: ) checked out the moon on my friends' high powered binocs and generally had a great time.

everyone was really good on the roads - i learned that when all the people that are too scarred to drive stay in doors, there is no need for traffic lights! all in all, we had about 18 hours of darkness.

i also learned that i don't really need electricity all that much... didn't miss my computer, tv, internet, phone... meh to all of it... sure i'll use it when it's around, but if it disappeared for good tomorrow, i am confident that i wouldn't miss it.

it was also a nice night to have a new girlfriend... ;) :kiss: :evil: :D :crazed:

Exhaust Port
08-19-2003, 11:26 PM
terrorists haven't been able to keep up the momentum their 9-11 triumph could've given them.

Um, have you watched the news at all since 9/11? There has been a pretty significant attack by this terrorist sect every few months since then. Yes, they haven't been domestic but from the South Pacific to the Middle East has been attacked by them. You can say this momentum began with the attack on the USS Cole which was a few years before 9/11. This is why we must stay on our toes.

there's been no significant incursions on american security since then.

What about those actions taken against our troops and citizens by the terrorists currently in the Middle East? Just becuase you don't feel threatened doesn't mean American Security is safe.

It's when your guard is down that terrorist strike. Attacking while on guard doesn't generate the fear factor of a terror strike that can happen with a strike on the unsuspecting population. Just becuase you don't see a stream of battles on US soil doesn't mean that we rest on our laurels and assume the threat has passed.

I have to ask VulcanTouch, is your CAPS LOCK or SHIFT KEY broken?

The Overlord Returns
08-20-2003, 12:42 PM
What about those actions taken against our troops and citizens by the terrorists currently in the Middle East? Just becuase you don't feel threatened doesn't mean American Security is safe.

I assume you are speaking about the attacks in Iraq. In all honesty, what did you think would happen? ANY occupying force will become the subject of attacks by terrorists, or freedom fighters (it's all relative really). Let's remember that the United States was formed by rebellion under an occupying force. Hell....you ambushed the hessians in the dead of night while they slept in their beds.

vulcantouch
08-20-2003, 01:33 PM
". . . is your CAPS LOCK or SHIFT KEY broken?"
-i suppose the only reply your deftless snark warrants is for me to point out that i've already addressed the latter question elsewhere; suggest you consult my "scalping" thread under "all threds started by this user" :p

"from the South Pacific to the Middle East has been attacked. . . What about those actions taken against our troops and citizens by the terrorists currently in the Middle East?"
-what About them? are you now including those positions as part of our "homeland"? how. . . Inclusive of you; i'm sure those peoples appreciate the. . . Fellowship with which you regard them. not to mention the foreign policy that would inevitably follow from such presumption :rolleyes:

"You can say this momentum began with the attack on the USS Cole. . . This is why we must stay on our toes"
-for that matter we could say it began with the 1st wtc bombing in '93, except that in either case we'd be forgetting that "momentum" implies a concerted, uninterrupted force, not a sporadic burst here & there. at any rate it wasn't the american citizenry who shoulda been "on their toes" from that time forward, only the "night people". everyone has their work, and to imply that responding to the cole bombing is somehow the direct responsibility of a shopkeeper in nebraska is just hysteria.

"It's when your guard is down that terrorist strike"
-this reminds me of an old david brenner joke about mosquitos in the dark, that "it's only the soundless ones that bite. you don't need to worry about the ones you can hear buzzing around you. but if you hear Nothing. . ." ;) in other words, you think civilians should lose sleep over something they can't do anything about anyway? do you not see the absurdity, the inappropriateness, the Waste of that?
again, remaining VigilanT is a job for the night people. the task for the rest of us is to sacrifice where it'd help (driving with better mileage (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19976&page=3) would be a good start), get on with our lives and keep our heads unclouded by unproductive bogeyman obsessions, so political opportunists can't exploit the situation for their own gain (see TNG ep "the drumhead").
vt

Jargo
08-20-2003, 02:41 PM
Not an act of terrorism?!? Pshaw!!! Oh, i think it is. Just what they want too.....the entire north-east unable to catch NBC's Must see TV Thursday Lineup!!!

This is crazy nuts though. Check out:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/08/14/power.outage/index.html

they're doing updates and whatnot. this is beyond crazy!

:D
The funniest thing about that page is the 'pictures from the blackout' link. I know it is't really a laughing matter but that was quite absurd. :)