PDA

View Full Version : Army Building/customizing from KB cheap price?

BoShek
08-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Anyone stock up or make some nice customs from those cheap figures at KB toy store ($1.99 or $2.99 per figure, $7.99 or $9.99 for four pack)? I keep passing them up but maybe I will pick some up if you people give me some ideas.

jpak001
08-15-2003, 01:19 AM
Yeah, I have. I got a Djas and Qui-Gon and did some boil/poping and drilling to make a custom Jedi. I think it turned out pretty cool! :happy:

Here's a cheesy pic:

Phantom-like Menace
08-15-2003, 01:32 AM
The most important idea (at least for me) I got from these figures isn't a specific idea for customizing. I purchased a number of Hangar Duel Anakin figures to stock up on on my spare lightsabers. I'll grab some Dookus as well if I can get some extra money before I miss out.

plasticfetish
08-15-2003, 02:49 AM
I purchased a number of Hangar Duel Anakin figures to stock up on on my spare lightsabers.
Oooh! THAT's a good idea! (That's a really good idea.)
I've used the $1.99 sales to buy up just about every figure I only sort of wanted. Picked up a few SBDs and a few Geonosians, etc.

I'm really surprised that KB's been the only place to really clear out figures. I've relied on the clearance sales since the beginning to buy the bulk of my loose figures ... It's been lame not having that at TRU or Target.

Phantom-like Menace
08-15-2003, 03:33 AM
Buying Hangar Duel Anakin figures to build up a lightsaber collection would be an awesome idea if Anakin were--I don't know--movie accurate (and why would that be?) and didn't come with the distinctive Anakin/Luke-style lightsaber. But thankfully there are ways to customize lightsabers.

kool-aid killer
08-15-2003, 07:07 AM
With what my KB's have, you cant really army build unless you want an army of Djas and Orn Free. There really arent any special characters to get at that price. Now if a local Walmart lowered their price i would gladly take the ten plus Geonosians off their hands.

Val Da Car
08-15-2003, 08:07 AM
screw Wal-Mart....after seeing the Plan-O-Gram I am going to buy my figures anyway but Walmart.

In fact I ordered the Target exclusive cause I would rather spend my $$$ there than at Wal-Mart.

kool-aid killer
08-15-2003, 09:37 AM
I second that Val Da Car, i dont think that they have seen Targets pegs. I have yet to see any new Star Wars toy peg warm (perhaps with the exception of the recolored Jedi Starfighter) everything that gets put out is snatched up.

jedi master sal
08-15-2003, 11:51 AM
In my area (Pittsburgh/south-west PA) not even the new Jedi Starfighter or AT are shelf warming. At the most I see is two of one or the other at a store. IMO, that's not shelf warming. New figures do keep sowing up here, but don't last long, even the dreaded re-packs. Only thing that's pegged a little is the Clone Wars-Destroyer Droid Launcher. Just as I predicted it would. Still those are even pegging that bad. I'd rather see pegs and sheves that are lean but keep getting new stuff rather than the first 6 months of this year.

Getting back to KB's, I think I'm going to really give an effort into customizing some red clones to be white ones. I'm going to try and make a "shell" that will cover those parts of the armor that are black and white so I can airbrush over the red parts easily. If I can get that shell made (probably out or styrene or something like that) then I'll basically be able to assembly line airbrush those figs and WOW will I'll army build those guys.

Kidhuman
08-15-2003, 01:06 PM
JPak, that is a great looking custom. I might try doing some customs someday. I have never tried it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-15-2003, 01:22 PM
I got a Qui-Gon from a four-pack and a Nikto when he was cleared out at Wizards of the Coast (what an awesome sale!) and made two custom Jedi - the Nikto Jedi from the DVD special feature and the Jedi who throws the saber to Obi-Wan (of course with minor paint adjustments.
Mine has some clones, and now that I finally have more money I think I'll buy some . . .

OC47150
08-15-2003, 03:28 PM
I've bought battle droids and SBDs to dirty up for a diorama I'm working on. I used the wrong type of paint, but they still look good.

jpak001
08-15-2003, 08:27 PM
Thanks kidhuman. Basic customs like that are pretty easy, you should give it a try!

I forgot, I did buy about 6 red clone troopers to paint white. Just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

Teeska Mon Eebon
08-16-2003, 03:08 PM
With what my KB's have, you cant really army build unless you want an army of Djas and Orn Free. There really arent any special characters to get at that price. Now if a local Walmart lowered their price i would gladly take the ten plus Geonosians off their hands.

You can price match at Walmart and get all those figs cheap