PDA

View Full Version : Do you dislike all Gungans, or just Jar Jar?

JediTricks
08-15-2003, 02:03 AM
It's a simple question, for those of you who have been accused of "hating gungans" due to your comments and/or feelings about Episode I, is this blanket statement accurate or is Jar Jar binks the main target of your displeasure?

I know for myself, who has been called a "gungan hater" a few times, it's totally untrue - I even like Tarpals and Boss Nass - but I do still have a beef with the character of Jar Jar as an individual.

dr_evazan22
08-15-2003, 09:58 AM
I think Darth Sidious said it best: "Wipe them out. All of them!"

Just kidding! I don't have a prob w/ either the individual or the species.

Darth Shifty
08-15-2003, 10:03 AM
I hate all Gungans, save for Boss Nass. That race should have stayed locked in George Lucas' imagination.

kool-aid killer
08-15-2003, 10:14 AM
Darth Shifty, but why do you hate them? Please give a reason so that i may better understand what it is about them that you dislike.

I dont have a problem with them as a race. I think they are neat looking and different to compared to other races in the Star Wars galaxy.
I think the dislike of them comes from Jar Jar being their main representative and most people not liking him. I dont think Jar Jar was a bad character, but he was too annoying.

DarthChuckMc
08-15-2003, 10:36 AM
I like Jar Jar and the gungans.

My only complaint about Jar Jar is the "How wude" every 5 seconds.

My wife thought it was cute, heck, Jar Jar was her favorite part of Ep1.

I guess GL watched a lot of Full House with his kids.

Battle Droid
08-15-2003, 10:44 AM
Just Jar Jar, the other Gungans seemed to have some intelligence.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-15-2003, 02:09 PM
I like them all. Jar Jar does get annoying sometimes, but it's not too bad. He's even funny, most of the time.

I just hope they take out the farting eopie for the archival edition. ;)

Pendo
08-16-2003, 08:41 AM
Never used to like they guy, but he's kinda grown on me :). Jar Jar's great :D!

PENDO!

hamsterboy
08-16-2003, 04:13 PM
Not all. Tarpals was pretty cool. Jar Jar was alot better in AOTC.

Darth Jax
08-16-2003, 06:05 PM
each film has seemed to have an object of hatred. many hated 3po in ANH, the ewoks in ROTJ, then comes jar jar. i don't mind him or the gungans. i can't stand Boss Nass though. what a waste of screen time.

Kidhuman
08-16-2003, 08:27 PM
Jar Jar just got on my nerves. They are a cool speicies overall. if JJB(the character not the forumite) would have kept his yap shut most of the time, it would have been better.

2-1B
08-16-2003, 10:37 PM
I love Jar Jar and I've loved him since my first midnight showing over 4 years ago. :)
However, I think they went over the top with him in the Naboo Battle. I don't mind him being clumsy but the slapstick was just too much for me.

His AOTC scene with Padme in which he rambles on " . . . heavy burden . . . meesa accept . . . " well it is a priceless scene for me! :happy:

dr_evazan22
08-17-2003, 01:28 AM
C- I like the version from the novel better. i think it shows a little better how JJB was trying to show how much more responsible he's become, but essentially is still the same character we got to know in TPM. I agree though, it is priceless.

Hellboy
08-20-2003, 09:48 PM
I like the Gungans quite a bit actually and I really don't have a problem with Jar Jar as a character but like Caesar stated the slapstick in Episode 1 was a bit much.

BTW Caesar I love your Hungry Hungry Hippo Avatar. :D
I wasted countless hours on that simplistic game as a kid.

Exhaust Port
08-21-2003, 09:24 AM
I liked the Gungans but didn't care for JarJar. Why did they have to make him talk like a 3 year old?

Jaff
08-21-2003, 10:16 PM
Like DarthChuck my wife's favorite character is Jar Jar, and when I took my 4 year old niece to see the film she fell in love with Jar Jar and because of that she loved Star Wars. Fan or not I adore the character for that. Jar Jar was for the kiddies, and I'm for him. I like all the Gungans, I just don't like their jamacan accent. As for liking or hating them I like them. As for Jar Jar I adore him for causing my niece to get a passion for Star Wars!!!!!!!!!

RussUAE
08-26-2003, 05:38 AM
Hey, I love Jar Jar.

His role was v important in AOTC, otherwise old Palpatine wouldn't have got his emergency powersand then where would we have been.

Jar Jar rocks and I hope we see more of him in Ep III than there was in Ep II

Jedi Tech
08-26-2003, 05:59 AM
Jar Jar is cool, and so are the rest of the gungans.

CropDuster
09-24-2003, 08:53 PM
I liked the Gungans but didn't care for JarJar. Why did they have to make him talk like a 3 year old?
His baby talk is nauseating!

ANEEL
09-24-2003, 09:02 PM
His baby talk is nauseating!
I AM JUST GLAD THEY GOT WIPED OUT WHEN ANH CAME OUT ,I DO NOT THINK I WOULD LOVE SW AS MUCH AS I DO IF ANY GUNGANS WERE THIER,BUT FOR A SECOND JUST THINK IF JAR JAR WAS IN THE OT,
WOULD SW BE WHAT IT IS?

stillakid
09-24-2003, 11:27 PM
I'm not sure, actually. Jar Jar's cartoony antics do get annoying after just a short time and that voice doesn't help any either.

But in terms of the whole Gungan element, I find them largely useless to the story. Really, the only reason they show up at all is so that George could have one of his favorite "3 prong" battles near the end. There was literally no reason at all that any of those Federation ships should have landed anywhere near Jar Jar Binks (which put our heroes conveniently within his sphere of influence).

But they also gave Lucas a way to have one of his characters spit out some nonsense about a "symbiont circle" (part of his whole "look how one thing affects another" thing that he continues with Midichlorians later on.)

In terms of the production design aspect of Gungans, I haven't been overly impressed. On one hand, they kind of look like water creatures, but don't really live in the water like an amphibian or anything. And they appear to be totally unsuitable for swimming or other aquatic activities even though they are designed to look like they are. Talk about weird conflicts in design. Plus I have a prejudice against overly peach colored alien life. They remind me of SeaMonkeys.

Overall, I wish that George would have created an actual reason for an "alien" presence on Naboo and I wish that that the production design for that alien race would have been something a little less "nerdy" looking.

CropDuster
09-25-2003, 12:24 PM
Overall, I wish that George would have created an actual reason for an "alien" presence on Naboo and I wish that that the production design for that alien race would have been something a little less "nerdy" looking.
George DID have a reason... he wanted to create one of the first ever cg main charcters for a movie. Too bad it had nothing to do with the storyline. :frus:

Beast
09-25-2003, 12:34 PM
George DID have a reason... he wanted to create one of the first ever cg main charcters for a movie. Too bad it had nothing to do with the storyline. :frus:
Nothing to do with the storyline? Did you watch a different movie? Jar Jar led the two Jedi's to the Gungan City so that they could avoid the Droid Army as well as warn the Gungans about what was coming. Which gave them a shortcut to Theed so that the Jedi's could get there before Padme was moved to the detention camp.

And at the end of the movie, if it wasn't for the Gungan Army, they wouldn't have been able to get enough of the Droid Army away from the city to allow the plan to allow for them to sneak in. If they would have faced the original numbers of droids that were originally guarding the city the plan would have failed.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
09-25-2003, 12:39 PM
And if it wasn't for Jar Jar we probably wouldn't have an Episode III, IV, V and VI as it was him who gave Emergency Powers to Palpatine :D! George knew exactly what he was doing for Episode II and III when he wrote Episode I. That's why Jar Jar was in it. Alot of the stuff in Episode I is a setup for events in Eps 2 and 3 :D. That's why I think TPM is a stronger film now that Episode II has been made, than it originally was, and it will be even stronger after Episode III :).

PENDO!

Beast
09-25-2003, 12:53 PM
Agreed Pendo. I have a feeling that George made him a bit annoying on purpose. So people would dislike him a bit, then see him get manipulated in E2, and then finally redeem himself in the fans eyes in E3.

And agreed, E1 is a much stronger film after E2. E1 got all the details of the Galaxy out there, so it was overly wordy. But done for a reason, so George wouldn't have to deal with it in E2 and E3. :)

Note that the Gungan race also serves to illustrate a point, one of the things that these 'morality tale' movies have been doing since ANH first hit in 1977. That just because someone looks different, acts strange, or is a bit of a fool, doesn't mean they are useless. And that all life should be respected. Something that Palpatine with his anti-alien beliefs, showcases the alternate viewpoint. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
09-25-2003, 03:26 PM
And at the end of the movie, if it wasn't for the Gungan Army, they wouldn't have been able to get enough of the Droid Army away from the city to allow the plan to allow for them to sneak in.

You mean the way Obi and Qui managed to sneak in at the beginning of the film? How hard was that? In fact, I believe we actually saw more of a Federation presence at the beginning of the film than during the final attack sequence. 2 Jedi could very easily have snuck right on in and roughed up the Nemodians in charge.

Ahhh, but that would have caused a problem because George had other plans for those 2 guys. Somebody had to kill off Maul. Obviously it had to be the Jedi guys, which then necessitated a Rube Goldbergian plan which was an overcomplicated (yet simplistic at the same time) way to get Padme in a position to pull a gun on them. But looking back on the grassland battle sequence, if that was the extent of the Federation's army which was pulled away from that one city, then the "rebels" shouldn't have had much trouble at all sneaking in. What, there were like 10 of them or something?

But you are right about one thing. Despite the Gungans being a fairly useless element in the story in terms of plot logistics (George made stuff up for them to do), their one true purpose was so George could hammer home this "symbiotic" message that somehow got him all riled up. We see it there, we see it with the Midi explanation, and we see it again when Sam Jackson talks about this elusive concept of "balance" in the Force, whatever the hell that means.

CropDuster
09-25-2003, 08:11 PM
Nothing to do with the storyline? Did you watch a different movie? Jar Jar led the two Jedi's to the Gungan City so that they could avoid the Droid Army as well as warn the Gungans about what was coming. Which gave them a shortcut to Theed so that the Jedi's could get there before Padme was moved to the detention camp.

And at the end of the movie, if it wasn't for the Gungan Army, they wouldn't have been able to get enough of the Droid Army away from the city to allow the plan to allow for them to sneak in. If they would have faced the original numbers of droids that were originally guarding the city the plan would have failed.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
Yep. I said nothing to do with the Star Wars story. They were shoehorned into the storyline just so Lucas would have a point to the cg star he had created. Had he not wanted to make a digital character play a major role in a movie there never would have been a gungan race as we know it.

Beast
09-25-2003, 08:20 PM
And you know this how exactly? Do you read Lucas' mind? Funny, cause the script disagrees with you. Which was written long before how to do the characters was realized. But feel free to enlighten us, I welcome your insight. BTW, for your information, the original plan was not to have Jar Jar be a digital character, if you've watched your DVD. He was to be Ahmed Best in the suit, with a digital head. When it was decided that it would be possible and actually cheaper to do the whole movie with the digital character, only then was it turned into having Jar Jar be a digital character. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

CropDuster
09-27-2003, 11:25 AM
And you know this how exactly? Do you read Lucas' mind? Funny, cause the script disagrees with you. Which was written long before how to do the characters was realized. But feel free to enlighten us, I welcome your insight. BTW, for your information, the original plan was not to have Jar Jar be a digital character, if you've watched your DVD. He was to be Ahmed Best in the suit, with a digital head. When it was decided that it would be possible and actually cheaper to do the whole movie with the digital character, only then was it turned into having Jar Jar be a digital character. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
Whoa, calm down a sec, JJB. I'm just saying that the Gungans would not be as we now know them. I'm not trying to say they never would have existed. I just think that they were turned into, Jar Jar in particular, a bunch of cartoons that weren't executed in the tradition of the OT, and thus jammed in there looking rather out of place and GL didn't care 'cause he wanted to have a landmark special fx star. But, that's just my opinion. I still like the prequels,and yes, I even laugh at some of Jar Jar's antics, but overall I think TPM would have been a stronger movie if Jar Jar hadn't been done the way he was, but that is just one of the problems it has, and probably not the most major. Maybe, I am totally in the wrong here, but from what I gather from other SW fans, the overall consensus is that Jar Jar is a blunder. This particular forum seems to be the easiest on him of all the ones I've perused, which I'm not saying is bad, its just what i've observed.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-03-2003, 12:33 AM
Ah, the Jar Jar debate continues. I never really had a problem with Jar Jar. I had heard all of this bad stuff about him before the movie came out, so maybe I went into it wanting to like him just so that he didn't ruin the movie for me, as it appears to have done for many other people. He was a bit annoying in the first half of the movie, but he is supposed to be annoying. He is annoying to the characters in the movie. But in the end, he helps bring the Gungans and Naboo together.

Even though Jar Jar was in AOTC much less, I sort of thought he was more annoying in that movie. At least his voice seemed so. It was different somehow. Still, in the end, Jar Jar served a purpose in the movie.

I think Lucas knows what he is doing with the movies. Maybe they could have been done differently, perhaps even better. Perhaps not. I've read the annotated screenplays and am glad that some of the ideas in there never made it. In the end though, the movies are his vision. I'm sure I will enjoy Episode III.

Oh, and fart jokes are funny, though I did like the "icky icky goo" scene better than the Eopie scene.

Darth Kirk
02-10-2004, 10:39 PM
Well I for one love all gungans equally.. JarJar and the lot of em.. They are a peaceful, underwater dwellin' bunch of cool freaks..