PDA

View Full Version : Who did Vader think he was fighting?

scruffziller
08-15-2003, 09:55 AM
When Vader says, "The force is strong with this one." What do you think was going through his mind? Just another pilot????? Did we miss some Jedi during the Jedi extermination????? My son?????
Did it perhaps spark the events of the beggining of ESB of trying to obtain
"Young Skywalker."

icatch9
08-15-2003, 10:32 AM
Well, as we know the force surronds and binds us. Just becasue all the Jedi are dead, doesn't mean that the force is dead. To me he was thinking that this is a normal guy that is extreamly force sensative. I don't think he though it was his son or an old Jedi.

Exhaust Port
08-15-2003, 10:38 AM
Perhaps it got him thinking that this kid could be his son. He knows that his children were hidden from him and they most likely will be strong with the force as he is. At some point between that first meeting and ESB Vader figures out that Luke is his son.

kool-aid killer
08-15-2003, 11:07 AM
I dont think Vader knew it was his son, just someone who was strong in the force. I think it would be impossible to estimate how many people in the galaxy are strong in the Force but if they killed most who knew how to channel it then they wouldnt have any big foes. Vader could have just thought that the pilot was strong but didnt know how to use it. After the destruction of the first Death Star he could have sent spys to find out about the lucky pilot who managed to escape him and through them come to find out that it was his son. Somebody please tell me that made sense.

Exhaust Port
08-15-2003, 11:43 AM
I'm sure Vader wouldn't have to send spies to find out who blew up the DS. Word would spread pretty quickly of the name of the pilot who blew it up.

There might be the chance that the strong force sensation got Vader thinking it was his son before he even knew. Vader could sense Obi Wan's presence by the force shift. I'm sure Vader would be able to tell if his own son was in the area.

El Chuxter
08-15-2003, 01:10 PM
The Force would still be strong in some people, but without the Jedi to train them, their potential would be unfulfilled. Vader's just making an off-hand comment, possibly something along the lines of, "A shame I have to blow this one up!"

If you go by EU, Vader had spies find out who blew up the Death Star and went completely wacko when he heard the name "Skywalker," took one of his Stormtroopers' rifles, and incinerated everyone within earshot.

scruffziller
08-15-2003, 01:32 PM
If you go by EU, Vader had spies find out who blew up the Death Star and went completely wacko when he heard the name "Skywalker," took one of his Stormtroopers' rifles, and incinerated everyone within earshot.

That does it for me.:happy:

icatch9
08-15-2003, 02:11 PM
What EU story is Vaders temper tantrum in?

I think the only reason why Vader knew Obi Wan was there is becasue of the close connection they used to have. Sort of like hearing a voice of an old friend. You'd recognize it. He may of known the pilot flying that lucky x wing was one with the foce, but wouldn't have known it was Luke until he reviewed the situation further (ie someone told him who it was).

TheDarthVader
08-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Vader finds out about his son (as far as the force is concerned) when he makes contact with the emperor in ESB. disclaimer: This is from memory and the best I can remember.>>>
Emperor: "There is a great disturbance in the force."
Vader: "I have felt it."
Emperor: "We have a new enemy, Luke Skywalker."
Vader: "He's just a boy."
Emperor: "He could destroy us."

Bel-Cam Jos
08-15-2003, 05:44 PM
I think that the "temper tantrum" occurred in a comic, perhaps the Vader's Quest one by Dark Horse. I thought I read about it in the old Marvel Comics series, but I don't recall him shooting stormtroopers with a rifle; that sounds '90s-ish, not '70s-ish to me.
As to the "who did Vader think he was fighting?" question, Qui-Gon sensed Anakin's Force potential, without knowing (as far as we know, before any Episode III revelations) that Anakin might be the Chosen One. So maybe if someone does things or acts out of the ordinary, a Jedi automatically tries to gauge their Force possibilities. Luke was able to avoid getting shot down, so Vader probably gave it a try and was surprised to sense abilities in him.

Or, he read Luke's bumper sticker on the back of his X-Wing:
"My fallen Chosen One Jedi dad can beat up your Jedi Master turned Clone Wars general" :p

El Chuxter
08-15-2003, 05:58 PM
Yeah, it was in Vader's Quest. Kinda lame mini-series overall, except for that one scene.

bobafrett
08-16-2003, 12:57 AM
Didn't Qui Gon sense the "force" in young Anakin? I think it's just something that if your already are keen to, like when Vader could sense Obi-Wan on the Death Star, or when Luke realizes he's endangering the mission when Han and the group set off for Endor. Luke learns about the force and therefore he is able to understand and make sense and focus in on when there is a disturbance such as Vaders darkside. Since Vader has had years of training as a Jedi then comes to serve under the Emperor, he is very well skilled in the Force, so detecting another who is strong in the force is no problem for him, but I'm pretty positive that he wasn't sure who the pilot was, just that he was strong with the force.

May the Force be with me and you!

hamsterboy
08-16-2003, 05:21 PM
Vader could've thought it was someone else. They missed Yoda and Obi-Wan didn't they? He could've thought "did we get everybody?" Or he could've thought that perhaps somewhere,someplace,someone besides him had an off-spring.

Kidhuman
08-18-2003, 03:21 PM
I agree with most here saying that people were strong in the force, but not trained in it. The jedis and sith are always talking about disturbance in the force and when they scan there surroundings they can feel others with the force. I mean, since Jedi's are forbidden to marry and have children, they came from somewhere. Anakin supposedly had no father, so he came from out of the blue. :confused:
So it could have been anyone flying that X-wing, or just as BCJ said, the bumper sticker gave it away.

darthvyn
09-03-2003, 12:40 PM
in the openning crawl to ESB, it states that "having found out it was luke skywalker that destroyed the death star he has begun a hunt for the rebel" or something like that... so we are led to believe that between the end of ANH and the beginning of ESB he found it out...

gtrain29
09-04-2003, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I doubt Vader could tell that it was his son.
I think E3 would be well played if Anakin knows Padme is pregnant then thinks she is killed before the kids are born. That helps lead him down the dark path. Later when he sees luke it starts him thinking again, and after finding out it is a skywalker. . . well, I think that would really affect him profoundly.
It would also be cool if some time in E3 when Ani knows Padme is pregnant that he tells Obi-Wan that maybe when my kid is old enough he can have my lightsaber. So in ESB when he sees Luke using it, these memories and feelings come back to him which will eventually help Luke resurrect him from the dark side.