PDA

View Full Version : Just when it can't get any worse...

jedimarvin
08-15-2003, 05:03 PM
I walked into my local TRU today and was surprised to find the large Star Wars section replaced by Increddible Hulk. That would now make 2 large Hulk sections in the store. At first I thought, ooh, this must mean the new stuff is here so everything was shifted to a new location. That's when I turned around to find a Star Wars section (all old stuff) about a third of the size of teh previous one with everything crammed into two or three rows. What the heck! They wouldn't even have room for any new figures let alone vehicles. Arrggghh.

In desperation I went across the street to KB only to find they had expanded thier Star Wars section to accomadate even more Endor Troopers and Han Endor!

mylow thehutt
08-15-2003, 05:27 PM
:crazed: THE HULK!?!?!? Why would toys R us make 2 huge alies for a goofy toy line with just 2 action figures,some cheap vehicles,and stupid green hands, for real I stoped going to toys r us back in 2002 when they still had EP1 figs and no saga figs.Kb,and wal-mart are my starwars stores no matter what people say about wal-mart.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-15-2003, 06:25 PM
Ah, c'mon Mylow!! Sure, the Hulk figures are warming the pegs for months and will be, but you can't lie and say you HAVEN'T had any fun w/ those Hulk hands!!! I'm waiting for those bad boys to go on clearance and i'm stocking up!! Too much fun!! :D

plo koon 200
08-15-2003, 09:21 PM
mylow it is not what I have to say about wal-mart but about KB. C'mon the 3-packs were $13 each. Oh well, I bought the clean one from there because it was so hard to find.

bobafrett
08-15-2003, 11:39 PM
The nearest TRU to my house also had replaced the former Star Wars section with Hulk garbage, however, I did manage to find a new Star Wars section, with some of the newer saga toys there, including the new 12" Han (well maybe not that new), still it was there, and I bought it gleaming from ear to ear!

kool-aid killer
08-16-2003, 02:06 PM
One of my TRU's has the usual pegwarmers so i wont visit it for a long time but the other one has empty pegs. Im hoping they will get some new figures in soon but i wonder if they will put them out or try to get rid of the preview figures first. They have tons of Zams, Jangos, and R3's.

Why would they give more space to Hulk toys? Products bearing that name dont seem to sell well. Ive never seen anybody buy one of those toys. That line is a major pegwarmer but my TRU's are filled with others like it. (Disneys Atlantis and Planet of the Apes come to mind)

Dr Zoltar
08-16-2003, 11:11 PM
Yep, this is happening in the Seattle area as well. All Star Wars at TRU has been moved to a non-main wall and have been reduced to 8-12 pegs. Some of the TRU's have removed the labels on the hooks that advertise the Clone Wars figs. And Hulk stuff is now at two separate areas in the store. Can't believe how much movie tie-in stuff is still there. They really got hosed on it.

Target is the same way -- a small space maybe two pegs wide for Star Wars. At least they are getting in new stuff but it showing up on the sales floor is spotty now. It used to come out every Thursday morning like clockwork but not anymore.

Kidhuman
08-16-2003, 11:14 PM
That hulk line is gar-bage. I too have never seen anyone purchase it. I dont get to TRU as often as I would like but my wally world has it in two seperate spaces too, an island in the middle of a main aisle and 3/4's of an aisle in the toy dept. The only thing I have seen sell is the gloves which are awesome.

fishyfett
08-17-2003, 12:35 AM
I SEE GREEN, I TURN MEAN!!!!! RRaaarrrrggghhhh!!! Hulk SUCKS.... er.....sorry...I mean, SMASH(ed)!!! Yeah, those Hulk merchandise are definitely turning greener and greener w/ age. Poor bastards can't seem to move. Fortunately, the ToysRus I go to still have a lot of AOTC figures for those who missed it the first time. Unfortunately, there's not too many people looking for the old figures. But I did found my Jedi-3pack and Blue Clonetrooper there. There are some clone wars stuff still sitting on the shelves. The SW stuff still have ample space for display. It was moved to the rear of the aisle, while the Hulk stuff was put at the front shelves. Oh well, gotta trade places somehow. I still visit Toys Rus. You'll never know what will turn up. :cool:

Jaff
08-17-2003, 01:23 AM
Maybe they have so much hulk garbage sitting in the back room that they need to make some space for new stuff. That's why they are putting all that stuff on the shelves. Of course I am being sarcastic. I don't think retailers currently know what to buy even if they were told the future trend of sales for the next fiscal year. Walk into your local Wal-Mart. They have plenty of Hulk stuff, but won't carry SW 12" or Cinema packs. Can you say DUHHHHHHHHHHHHH........ :crazed:

jedihunter25
08-17-2003, 02:27 AM
I hate the Hulk stuff (the hands are kinda cool when you are drunk at 2 A.M. looking for SW that you'll never find at Wal-mart). But I hate to say that I've seen a numorous times parents buying the Hulk stuff for their kids (no, I wasn't drunk at those times). Most kids these days are into the newest things and this is an off movie year- with two more years till Ep.3!! For most of us SW collectors that grew up in the 70's and early 80's, we didn't have a huge selection of toys like they do today. When we were growing up SW was the main thing. We didn't have a list of well advanced CGI blockbuster action movies every year that is out there now. We were so into SW and use to buying the toys that it's almost like an everyday part of life to us, not like kids today. This is why I think that one of Hasbro's major flaws is concentrating too much on trying to impress kids than the life long collectors. And due to this (with most of the entire line last year)with action features, gimmics, and re-doing the same main characters in the same outfit over, and over, and over again is why alot of collectors got fed up and drifted away from it- which played a good role in poor sales and peg warming. It was the ones that drifted and us that got the line going again back in 95-96 with unexpected sky rocketing sales,the SW section a good size row, and clearing off the pegs for new figs, while alot of kids never even seen Star Wars- with leaving the rest only seeing it on T.V. instead of a movie theater.

fishyfett
08-17-2003, 08:24 AM
I hate the Hulk stuff (the hands are kinda cool when you are drunk at 2 A.M. looking for SW that you'll never find at Wal-mart). But I hate to say that I've seen a numorous times parents buying the Hulk stuff for their kids (no, I wasn't drunk at those times). Most kids these days are into the newest things and this is an off movie year- with two more years till Ep.3!! For most of us SW collectors that grew up in the 70's and early 80's, we didn't have a huge selection of toys like they do today. When we were growing up SW was the main thing. We didn't have a list of well advanced CGI blockbuster action movies every year that is out there now. We were so into SW and use to buying the toys that it's almost like an everyday part of life to us, not like kids today. This is why I think that one of Hasbro's major flaws is concentrating too much on trying to impress kids than the life long collectors. And due to this (with most of the entire line last year)with action features, gimmics, and re-doing the same main characters in the same outfit over, and over, and over again is why alot of collectors got fed up and drifted away from it- which played a good role in poor sales and peg warming. It was the ones that drifted and us that got the line going again back in 95-96 with unexpected sky rocketing sales,the SW section a good size row, and clearing off the pegs for new figs, while alot of kids never even seen Star Wars- with leaving the rest only seeing it on T.V. instead of a movie theater. You know, I'd like to see what would happen to these big TOY companies, like Hasbro and Mattel, if we collectors would back off for a couple of years and let just the kiddies buy their stuff. I wish we can do that and see how their sales will be affected. That would be the only way to prove who makes a big difference in the action figure market. (Sigh).......if only we can do that. ;)

Master Plo- Koon
08-17-2003, 09:28 AM
Well since Im only fifteen, and when they brought back the star wars line in 95 I was still a young kid. I definately didnt follow the way other kids having to by the newest thing from the newest movie. Ive always stuck with the star wars line, because I love star wars, and the fact that most of the movie based figures now a days suck really bad. Including hulk crap, planet of the apes, etc. Ive been watching the SW movies since I was three, and back then I used to collect the vintage ones with my parents from the fair grounds. As of this date I have collected almost every single star wars figure from 95 to date, excluding most of the 12 inch, and certain deluxe 3 3/4 ones that I could never find.

I guess I was just different then all those kids, and instead I focused on one single collection.

fishyfett
08-17-2003, 11:14 AM
Well since Im only fifteen, and when they brought back the star wars line in 95 I was still a young kid. I definately didnt follow the way other kids having to by the newest thing from the newest movie. Ive always stuck with the star wars line, because I love star wars, and the fact that most of the movie based figures now a days suck really bad. Including hulk crap, planet of the apes, etc. Ive been watching the SW movies since I was three, and back then I used to collect the vintage ones with my parents from the fair grounds. As of this date I have collected almost every single star wars figure from 95 to date, excluding most of the 12 inch, and certain deluxe 3 3/4 ones that I could never find.

I guess I was just different then all those kids, and instead I focused on one single collection.Hang in there, kid. I wish we have more like you. That would certainly enhance our community of collectors. By the way, which 3 3/4 deluxe figures are you trying to get?? Let me know if I can help you. :)

Kidhuman
08-17-2003, 12:16 PM
You know, I'd like to see what would happen to these big TOY companies, like Hasbro and Mattel, if we collectors would back off for a couple of years and let just the kiddies buy their stuff. I wish we can do that and see how their sales will be affected. That would be the only way to prove who makes a big difference in the action figure market. (Sigh).......if only we can do that. ;)

Actually, that is what they are doing. With no new stuff coming to shelves, their sales are down. Poor distribution and allcausing it. Over-ordering as well. Collectors are backing off asnd not finding anything new. Collectors are the biggest part of the market. Sales are down, just look at the pegwarmers. Still I see figures from the first release date. I refuse to buy them even though i need a few of them. Until I start seeing 2003 figures, I may not buy another figure.

fishyfett
08-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Actually, that is what they are doing. With no new stuff coming to shelves, their sales are down. Poor distribution and allcausing it. Over-ordering as well. Collectors are backing off asnd not finding anything new. Collectors are the biggest part of the market. Sales are down, just look at the pegwarmers. Still I see figures from the first release date. I refuse to buy them even though i need a few of them. Until I start seeing 2003 figures, I may not buy another figure.Which is exactly what I'm trying to point out. And that's not even close to a year with sales being affected. How about if we don't buy anything for a year?? Think the kids will buy them toys, which the companies claim they cater to? Hmm....... :zzz:

Old Fossil
08-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Hasbro would shut the line down, until the next movie (read: cash cow), without batting an eye. Look at the doomed Action Fleet series. I don't know what percentage of SW figure sales make up their bottom line, but it can't be that much, considering how the Saga line is treated like a bad stepchild by the corporate types running the show. It's almost as if they could easily afford to let the line die off between movie years.

I for one would rather see pegs full of OPD Anakins, rather than no SW pegs at all.

InsaneJediGirl
08-17-2003, 09:17 PM
Same situation here.I cant believe stores keep adding to lines that dont sell,then at the same time wonder why.

Although I hate to agree,Twodot Tatooine has a point.Hasbro could drop Star Wars and just focus on another line until movie time.I question if Lucasfilm would let such a thing happen though,because it does bring cash into GL.

Teeska Mon Eebon
08-17-2003, 09:23 PM
one thing I've been wondering is how do they know it is the kids that are buying it? I mean they can't track every figure and have the sales person record it all ya'know

Jaff
08-18-2003, 02:22 PM
Posted by Teeska Mon Eebon - Yesterday at 10:23 PM
one thing I've been wondering is how do they know it is the kids that are buying it? I mean they can't track every figure and have the sales person record it all ya'know

Hasbro probably claims that kids buy it for their own personal gratifications so they can excuse themselves for missing our requests. The truth is right now it is us sustaining the line. There is no way they can track the sales even via a persons credit card. I suggest we ask hasbro to do a sensus on this, but that will never happen.

Posted by InsaneJediGirl - Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Same situation here.I cant believe stores keep adding to lines that dont sell,then at the same time wonder why.

Can't find much where I live, but for the most part it's really not the stores fault. Hasbro cases the items, and the stores bought heavy case buys for the Christmas season (Jango Pilot, some Ephant), but after they were packed with the same figures the shelf rotation stagnated and the toy isle is covered in pegwarmers. Now stores like Wal-Mart are at red alert and trust hasbro like Jedi trust sith. Now it's Hasbro's turn. If they pack their cases right during this current planner replenishment season (Target, Toys R' Us, Wal-Mart) they can redeem themselves and go back to good buisness like last year. If they stuff cases with the same old stuff stores will drop the line like a bad habit.

I personally think that Hasbro is stepping in the right direction. They are not packing old figs more than 1 to a case now. That is a tremendous improvement than the last quarter of 2002!

Teeska Mon Eebon
08-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Hasbro probably claims that kids buy it for their own personal gratifications so they can excuse themselves for missing our requests. The truth is right now it is us sustaining the line. There is no way they can track the sales even via a persons credit card. I suggest we ask hasbro to do a sensus on this, but that will never happen.

Yeah someone needs to ask why they think it's kids keeping the line alive

Old Fossil
08-18-2003, 11:00 PM
Well, my nearest WM reset their Star Wars figures today. Six pegs' worth, plus a couple of pegs for lightsabers. A stark contrast to the entire aisle they had devoted to the line a year ago! :(

Phantom-like Menace
08-19-2003, 07:15 AM
This is merely what I've heard regarding why Hasbro thinks mostly kids buy Star Wars: sales of the roleplay 'sabers were their largest area of growth and profit (or something like that), and they figure only kids would buy these. Mind you, I've got a box full of 'sabers under my bed, and my brothers and I have been known to take them out and fight whenever we find ourselves in the same city.

Twodot Tatooine: I just realized we're in the "same place." How are the wastes treating you?

abell748
08-19-2003, 08:23 AM
While the Star Wars pegs get smaller and smaller, I have noticed something else weird in the toy aisles here in Indiana. Even toy lines that they say sell huge and are the "newest thing" like MOTU is being clearenced out by Wal Mart and Target. The stores do not even have new spaces for the line in their resets. Scary when even a popular line like MOTU, that was over-ordered, can be wiped away regardless of strong sales. It adds up to more Hulk stuff to keep the pegs warm (we must have upset the collecting gods because now they smite us).