PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated Figure

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 05:50 PM
Ever have a figure that you love but nobody else could give two craps about?

Ever noticed how some incredibly well sculpted figures get overshadowed by more flashy releases?

Well then this is the thread for you!!

To me Bossk was probably the coolest of the early POTF2 figures, but in the variation-crazed days of 1997 the "we got him right the first time" Bossk just seemed to get lost in the shuffle.

As for POTJ, Boss Nass and the Tusken Raider are two excellently crafted figures who's current status as pegwarmers is really hurting their appeal.

james the hutt
08-18-2001, 06:15 PM
I agree that Bossk is an overlooked figure. 2-1B, which I think is from the same wave as Bossk, is an overlooked figure.

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 06:22 PM
I was actually going to mention 2-1B (awesome figure!), but he somehow got overlooked.

HAAA!!! I crack myself up!!:D

humsup
08-18-2001, 07:34 PM
My vote is for BOSSK. He should also be in the thread "Best POTF2 figure" but somehow I missed that out. BOSSK rules!!

the master jedi
08-18-2001, 08:23 PM
I thinkbuff Luke is underrated 'cause can do a lot with this guy. You could pretend he's a wrestler, a presonal trainer, a night club bouncer, or any tough guy.
I'm demented so I'll shut up now.

Starfig873
08-19-2001, 07:40 AM
I'd have to say Lak Sivrak. Its such a nifty figure...plus we might have never gotton him.

JediTricks
08-19-2001, 09:37 AM
Lak, 2-1B, both great choices IMO. I'm not sure Bossk is really an "underappreciated" figure, I've not seen a lot of folks bashing him or even forgetting him. He would be on my list if I thought he were though.

Another would be MMC C-3PO, this figure is the best-looking 3PO in the line, yet I rarely see folks even remember he exists.

2-1B
08-19-2001, 02:51 PM
I really like the 2-1B figure. I was working at TRU when his wave with Bossk, Luke Hoth and Hoth Rebel Soldier was released. I actually thoguht the whole wave was fun, but since 2-1B was the least "playable" I think he often goes unnoticed.

I don't think I would ever change the sculpt of Bossk, but he would be even cooler with added articulation.

humsup
08-19-2001, 11:21 PM
Maybe its just here in Singapore that the Bossk is not well received. Saw people selling him at a price comparable to Lando Buff and Monkey face leia and that's baffled me till today. Its really a good looking figure.

bigbarada
08-20-2001, 12:36 AM
Over here in the US, you can usually get ahold of Bossk for around $2 mint on card. So it's not just Singapore where he's underappreciated.:(

It's a shame because he really is one of the best POTF2 figures and a HUGE improvement over the vintage one.

AmanaMatt
08-20-2001, 02:18 AM
Flashback Emperor is a great piece and the first with two legs. I recently picked up a new one that could actually stand on its own with no problem (wish I could say the same for my original one). Blows all other Emperor figs away - even D. Sidious, but only because of that fig's awful face sculpt!

TeeEye7
08-20-2001, 06:09 AM
I liked the detail exhibited by Zuckuss. That figure showed me for the first time that Hasbro was capable of giving us more. I think the POTJ line is showing that now. I think Zuckuss led the way, however......

JediTricks
08-21-2001, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Over here in the US, you can usually get ahold of Bossk for around $2 mint on card. So it's not just Singapore where he's underappreciated.:(

It's a shame because he really is one of the best POTF2 figures and a HUGE improvement over the vintage one. I don't think that price is because he's underappreciated, I think it's because there were a LOT of Bossk figures out there. Everybody I knew was able to find one almost as soon as it came out, it was one of the only "popular" figures to be in TRU's first major SW sale (I think it was $2 or even maybe $1 a piece, mostly EV-9D9s, Bossks, Dengars, Yak Faces, and Rancor Keepers) so it really got around. I bought a ton of 'em at the big sale and donated them to a few childrens charities.

GNT
08-21-2001, 02:34 AM
As JT said:

EV-9D9, Bossk, Dengar, Yak Face, and Rancor Keeper

I like all these figures for a number of reasons,just memories and that but nobody ever cares about them!

rbaumhauer
08-21-2001, 09:40 PM
As JediTricks said, MMC Threepio is a fantastic figure - easily the best "clean" Threepio made, and one of the best figures in the POTF2 line.

AmanaMatt
08-22-2001, 02:45 AM
I can't believe I didn't mention this fig, as threepio is one of my favorite characters. The MMC version is awsome. Hasbro should have used this sculpt to give us K-3p0, or at least used the arms!

2-1B
08-22-2001, 02:51 AM
I like the MMC 3PO as well - the first one from the rerelease really had some problems with its proportions.

hairless chewie
08-23-2001, 03:38 AM
For me the Gammorrean Guard is the most underated. He is one of my favorite aliens from the movies plus he's a huge walking pig!! Lak was nice but after he was released he got cut out of New Hope for that awful Ketwol.

TheJedi
08-23-2001, 09:37 PM
I will throw my lot in with MMC C-3PO. The head sculpt is different from all other 3POs, and is correct. All the 3PO models nowadays use the Flashback sculpt, which is a downgrade from the MMC version. Even though it could be a little better(straighter legs), this is definately the best 3PO ever made.

bigbarada
08-25-2001, 09:42 PM
Pote Snitkin is an excellent figure who's sculpting is on par with the new POTJ aliens, although his accessories leave a lot to be desired.

JediTricks
08-26-2001, 07:58 AM
Pote is indeed an awesome, and underrated figure! I cannot believe I forgot about him, he'd definitely go on my list.

bigbarada
08-26-2001, 01:38 PM
Here's some more that have slipped my notice until now:

Death Star Droid: just a cool looking droid and the shiny black is nice.

Aunt Beru: Good likeness, good detail, cup not molded into her hand=major choking hazard. Excellent figure!:D

Muftak: just a big honking alien, the pearlescent quality of his fur is really a nice touch.

AT-AT Driver: I know I've listed this figure in the "Resculpt ROundup" thread but I must say the detail work is awesome even if the proportions are off.

COMMTECH Vader: I'm not sure if anyone has noticed yet, but this is, hands down, the most accurate Vader ever made! Sure his lightsaber is molded to his hip, but he's perfect for those "reviewing the troops"dioramas. The double cloth cape is a dream come true for me and the one feature that puts this version of Vader leaps and bounds above the rest.

TTFN!

Magnolia-Fan
08-26-2001, 02:21 PM
What does "MMC" mean?

bigbarada
08-26-2001, 02:30 PM
Millenium Minted Coin: the boxed Toys R Us exclusive reissues of POTF2 figures. They came with a coin similar to the old POTF coins. Which of course made the figures cost $10 apiece.

Magnolia-Fan
08-26-2001, 09:02 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about him. He was nice..

Lobito
09-13-2001, 03:56 PM
ok here are my choices:

1.- Flashback obi wan kenobi
2.- 2-1B
3.- Flashback yoda (hey, he even has Luke's lantern!!)
4.- 8d8
5.- EV-9D9

oh yes, Bosk is underrated too!!

bigbarada
09-13-2001, 08:43 PM
The Flashback Obi-Wan is still the best Obi- Wan made and probably very similar to what we'll see for the 25th Anniversary 2-pack.

8D8 was cool, he probably had one of the best action figure accessories, a torture rack!

GNT
09-14-2001, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
COMMTECH Vader: I'm not sure if anyone has noticed yet, but this is, hands down, the most accurate Vader ever made! Sure his lightsaber is molded to his hip, but he's perfect for those "reviewing the troops"dioramas. The double cloth cape is a dream come true for me and the one feature that puts this version of Vader leaps and bounds above the rest.

So true, his one of my favourite Vader made and he is so underated because of his cloth cape and moulded lightsaber!

and MMC C-3PO

JediCole
10-05-2001, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Starfig873
I'd have to say Lak Sivrak. Its such a nifty figure...plus we might have never gotton him.

I couldn't agree more! Lak was great, right down to his ankle-length capri pants and his big puppy dog feet. The great irony is that he was released AFTER the Special Edition hit theatres and YEARS BEFORE Ketwol! To this day I cannot believe Lucas signed off on a figure of one of the Cantina denezins he went to pains to erase!
Go figure.

sith_killer_99
10-06-2001, 11:56 AM
Interestingly enough, I just found a FB Obi-Wan at KB yesterday, on sale for $2.99! The card was banged up, but I already have one MOMC!

I opened him up for my loose collection. He is in fact an under-rated figure. Great likeness, 3 points of articulation on each arm (shoulder, elbow, and wrist). My only real complaint is the aweful bent-knee stance, but I can live with that.

MMC C-3PO is AWESOME! Great likeness and shine! Especially noteworthy is the trademark silver leg, which is more apparent than on any of the other figs! Hands down the best 3PO to date!

Another semi-under-rated figure is Zuckuss! This guy gets all the attention for being a Coll. 3 HTF Freeze Frame! In fact he is rery well done. The sculpt under his clothing is unique and shows why HASBRO dosen't have to give us ugly hunks of plastic like Mon Mothma and Royal Guard!!!

The Bald Ewok
10-24-2001, 07:23 PM
Zuckuss was on my top ten list of fav figures...so I can easily slide with that one. However, Grand Moff tarkin is still my favorite (depending on what you call underrated)

JediCole
10-25-2001, 10:19 AM
An as yet unmentioned (probably due to the status as underrated) grouping that fall easily into this category are the Cinema Scene "Cantina Aliens". All three have great sculpts. I've wanted a Nabrun Leids figure since 1977, years before I knew he had four arms and years before he had a name. I also love the attention to detail given to Labria. I saw a photo or two of the original mask in "Star Wars Chronicles" (the single best Star Wars reference ever) and was amazed at how accuratly they reproduced even the lumpy back of Labria's head. That was not artistic license, those bumps were on the original mask! And Takeel accuratly captures the look of the ANH era "Snaggletooth".
The Cinema Scenes often get overlooked, mostly due to the unabashed remaking of existing figures that dominated the line.

Wooooof
10-25-2001, 06:07 PM
I pick Admiral Ackbar, aside from most of the ones mentioned here. Even though his accessory was kind of lame.

hamsterboy
10-27-2001, 12:44 AM
Myself,I go with the AT-AT Commander. This dude doesn't get any respect. Hasbro knows this is General Veers and what do they do? They give him this stupid name.