PDA

View Full Version : Luke Jedi's History of Varaitions

Skywalker3319
08-18-2003, 07:24 AM
Hey, I was looking at all of my Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker figures yesterday, from the vinatge 83 to now 03, and all of them have variations.

83 Jedi Luke-Blue Saber/Green Saber
95 Jedi Luke-Brown Vested/Black Vested
03 Jedi Luke-Left Hand Gloved/Black Hand Gloved

Is this a coninsidence, or a scheme by hasbro? Will this new Jedi Luke have a variation, to give it a nastalic feel?

rherk
08-18-2003, 07:36 AM
I don't think variations for a "nastolgic feel" is nesaccary. However, Due to inconsistancies in source material, some show a charcoal grey vest and some show a charcoal brown vest. Also, if Hasbro feels the need to give him a black cloak, I certainly hope they provide an accurate variation of the brown cloak which by photos in "Star Wars from Myth to Magic" page 191 the cloak is clearly brown.

Skywalker3319
08-18-2003, 07:41 AM
It would be great, IMO,if they did give this new Jedi Luke a varaition. My favorite figure is Jedi Luke, and I always buy 3+, and thats just to keep in the box. So, I hope this one is cool. All we can do is wait for it!

rherk
08-18-2003, 08:18 AM
Luke jedi is also my favorite. I bought about 10 of the POTF2 one both to open and keep carded, I have about 10 of the original 1983 one as well and I intend to do the same with the new one. However, I prefer an accurate definitive one over multiple variations.

JediTricks
08-19-2003, 12:49 AM
Don't forget the POTF2 Luke Speederbike box change too!

JangoFart
08-19-2003, 01:45 PM
I think you folks over-estimate the stupidity of Hasbro. 1 version of 1 figure equals one sale. 2 versions of 1 figure equals, potentially, 2 sales; and so on.

Hasbro KNOWS that there are plenty of variation hunters out there amongst the collecting public. To cater to them, the only thing Hasbro has to do is make a "mistake" on the first run, "fix" it on the second run, realize the "fix" didn't fix it and fix it on the third run. Luke Bespin comes to mind; as does Dexter, Luminara, blah, blah, blah.

Not that I mind this approach. It makes the hunt all that more fun when you snag one of these variations. I enjoy collecting variations here and there and Hasbro makes multiple sales to me off of a figure that would typically have garnered them one sale. However, I don't think for a second that this is anything other than a calculated business decision by Hasbro to cater to the variation collectors and make more sales.

I kinda think it's foolish to think otherwise.

There. I'm now $.02 in the hole.

J

rherk
08-19-2003, 01:53 PM
I don't necessarily disagree that 1 or 2 variations slip through the cracks that could have easily been fixed before the products were ready to ship. However, I don't think Hasbro really makes a hell of a profit over variations.

Collectors buy the first run of all assortments right away anyways whether there's a variation or not. The only thing it may do for Hasbro is keep some collectors interested in their product.

It's the scalpers and secondary market that profits.

JangoFart
08-19-2003, 04:08 PM
First: Two or more sales equal more profits than one sale. Again, not ALL people care - but I'm sure enough do that it makes economic sense to have the variations. Sure collectors buy the first run - when they can find them. But, many other collectors buy the first run AND any and every variation that comes about. And there's collectors like me who buy SOME or MOST variations that come out. Both equate more sales for Hasbro for one figure that would have, without the variation, yielded but one sale.

Second: Hasbro doesn't care if you, me, or Mr. Joe Scalper buys their figures - a sale is a sale to Hasbro. Also, if the market won't support it, scalpers won't make a nickel. It's the buyers that set the prices for many of these figures, not the sellers. If Bob Collector is willing to pay $100.00 for a figure, Fred Seller's gunna sell it to him at that price. If Bob will only pay $40.00, Fred won't sell it until he comes down in his price.

Damn. Now I'm $.04 in the hole....

J

tagmac
08-19-2003, 10:46 PM
The lightsaber issue wasn't really a "true variation" back in '83. I believe the green saber was meant to be a surprise, and when the figure initially went into production, they made it blue like in Empire for that reason. the first shipments had this version (with the snapping cloak). The later, more plentiful version had the correct green saber and sewn cloak.

JediTricks
08-20-2003, 01:46 AM
JF, that logic seems kinda paranoid to me. You know I'm not Hasbro's biggest fan, but that one just doesn't jive, especially with all the mistakes they never fix. Hasbro seems to run on corporate thinking, the less individual risks taken the better and that sort of thing, so to intentionally throw variations into the mix seems pretty bold for a company who left the wrong title on the CW Gunship's accessories or put the wrong numbers on the Saga repacks. Look at Holo Leia R2, they would rather sit on cases that contained that sought-after figure for months and end up selling them at pennies on the dollar to TRU rather than open up those cases and repack the hot figure into better cases - that's not just greed, that's just silly.

Skywalker3319
08-22-2003, 09:31 AM
See, its all about the business, but when it comes to the Jedi Luke figure, Im going to get the variant, becase he is my fav. figure. Im a pretty easy person to please, and I dont really know how most of you felt about the TRD Luke, but I personally loved it. I have 3 so far, one corrected, one variant, and one opened, and Im gonna hunt more for him. I love variants of this figure, as long as I get the difinitive version of that particular figure. So, as long as there are Jedi Luke variants, I guess hasbro has my dollar.

mista_carrot
08-24-2003, 05:36 AM
Hey, my vintage Luke Jedi came with a green saber and a snapping cloak, is that normal?

Skywalker3319
08-25-2003, 09:37 AM
looks like you got the best of both worlds there, lol.

Dark Marble
08-26-2003, 02:51 PM
I agree with JF that a variation creates another sale, but why do it on a figure that is going to sell anyway? I don't know about everyone else here, but I have been lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time to find both variations of the jedi luke. But I have not seen these guys sit on the shelf for more than an hour or two. And as for collectors, most here have already admitted to buying at least two or more of the luke anyway.

Seems that if it were a companies intent to sell a variation, the course would be to make a variation on a figure that might not sell so well so that collectors would have to rummage through all the "normal figures" to find a variation, and maybe sell a normal or two while they were at it. Why try to lock in a sale that is already locked? I think the Luke glove error was just that, an error. Errors, chase figures, and variants are great sometimes, but in this case it just doesn't seem intentional.

JangoFart
08-26-2003, 03:49 PM
Great points, Dark Marble! The best articulation of the counter-argument I've heard yet.

The only things that I'd take issue with are:
(1) If, in fact, "most" collectors here admit to buying more than one of the Lukes, that does not mean that the less-rabid fans are doing the same thing. I'm sure we could agree that only the tip of the nerd/geek sword frequent this place to post their opinions. (Present company included) How that translates into a cross-section of the general collecting community, I truly don't know.

(2) Does it truly matter to Hasbro whether they sell 10 Massifs instead of 10 Lukes, or vice versa. I'd have to say that in the grand scheme of things, no. Sure, a typical Luke would get the FIRST initial sale before a Massif. But, how many of the same, identical Lukes can you have in one action scene? Hopefully, only one - or Padme's as big of a trollop as I think she is :) On the other hand, a Tusken Camp scene - either in a fixed diorama or just outright playing - can have quite a few Massifs and be more accurate and, I'd bet, more fun for the person playing with it.

(3) I never stated that Hasbro's plan of creating all these variations of a given figure was well thought out :) I agree that it would make more sense to AT LEAST pick on someone other than Luke. But, as you pointed out Luke sells! More variants of Luke sells more!

I mean, daaaaamn, just how dumb would any given company have to be to "accidentally" screw up almost every single Luke it produces?? I, for one, just can't believe that all of these Luke-centric errors are anything other than intentional guaranteed sales. But, as I said, great counter argument!

J

Dark Marble
08-27-2003, 09:42 AM
Thanks Jango, I really like coming to these forums simply because we can have conversations about collecting and not have them degrade into some 1st grade free for all. And usually the conversation is intelligent!! And I agree with your point. There are variants out there that I don't care about (pretty much all of them) but you better believe I was out like a mad man looking for the corrected Luke.

And another prime example is the whole Bespin Duel Luke debacle. The bloody stump, the metal peg, the plastic peg. But for some reason, I ended up with most of these variants. If a variant on "screaming Mace" were out, the hard core hunters will pick it up. If there is a variant on Luke everyone will pick it up. But it seems to me if there are going to be peg warmers, there might as well be some variety to them!! :crazed: That is why I like the Imperial Officers so much, a little head change makes a whole new figure...sort of.

rherk
08-27-2003, 09:52 AM
I appreciate the occasional variation which incorporates a different head sculpt for a trooper, or I like the fact they're doing Han Hoth brown/blue coat. These are simple variations that keep the hard core fan base happy. I would love if they did plastic/cloth variation for Luke Jedi. I of course would buy both but I prefer plastic but I know some prefer cloth. This would be a great way to please both.

I however, am not interested in variations of an "accidental" nature. Like Luke Bespin with different pegs and Luke with glove on wrong hand.

swpotf2
05-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Is the charcoal grey vest different from the regular black vest for pOTF2 Jedi Luke?

So there is (1) black, (2) tan/brown and (3) Grey?

JediTricks
05-23-2009, 06:20 PM
No, it's just the 2.