PDA

View Full Version : Darth Sidious to wield a lightsaber in Episode III???

I am Jabba the Hutt
08-18-2003, 11:50 AM
quoted from www.theforce.net

EP3: Insider #70 Tidbits
Mon, Aug 18, 03 08:57:36 AM EDT

Bird33 received the new issue of Star Wars Insider today, and shared a couple of tidbits from the Rumor Shooting Gallery with Rick McCallum:

INSIDER: Chewbacca delivers the Skywalker twins to Obi-Wan Kenobi.
McCALLUM: “Can’t comment.”
INSIDER: By the end of the film, Yoda ends up on Dagobah.
McCALLUM: “These rumors are pretty good. We’ll see.”

INSIDER: Anakin loses more body parts.
McCALLUM: “Absolutely.”

INSIDER: We’ll see Darth Sidious wield a lightsaber.
McCALLUM: “Maybe. If you’re good. Maybe.”

This is something we need to see, we need to see why he's so powerful and I just think we need to see him in combat so when we see Return of the Jedi, we know that he really is the baddest dude in Galaxy.
Who else wants to see Darth Sidious open up a costco sized can of whoopass?!

Pendo
08-18-2003, 12:07 PM
I hope we don't see him with a lightsaber. I think Palpy's attacks should all be force attacks, like his Sith Lightning :).

PENDO!

The Overlord Returns
08-18-2003, 12:11 PM
Yeah, this is one bad idea...I pray we do NOT see this occur......

I am Jabba the Hutt
08-18-2003, 12:12 PM
I hope we don't see him with a lightsaber. I think Palpy's attacks should all be force attacks, like his Sith Lightning :).

PENDO!

but this is the man that taught Darth Maul everything he knew! :)
I think we should definitely see him duel using the force like you said but also.. Yoda is powerful too so they should have to settle it with a lightsaber duel just like with Dooku.
I think Yoda is the one that he fights with cause Yoda says to Luke "do not underestimate the powers of the emperor... or suffer your fathers fate, you will" :)

vorronsalive
08-18-2003, 12:26 PM
I don't mean to get off the subject because that would be extremely cool to see what Sidious can do with a lightsaber, but what about Darth Vader. Maybe this question has already been answered, but if someone could repost it, that would be great. But here it is: Why exactly is Darth Vader supposed to be the most feared man in the Galaxy by Episode 4? Something has to happen in Episode 3 that proves this statement is true. We always had the implied thought that Vader was a feared being by all, he was second only to the Emperor, and he controlled just about every one he was around. Why was it like that? Please shed some light on this, anyone.

I am Jabba the Hutt
08-18-2003, 12:32 PM
I don't mean to get off the subject because that would be extremely cool to see what Sidious can do with a lightsaber, but what about Darth Vader. Maybe this question has already been answered, but if someone could repost it, that would be great. But here it is: Why exactly is Darth Vader supposed to be the most feared man in the Galaxy by Episode 4? Something has to happen in Episode 3 that proves this statement is true. We always had the implied thought that Vader was a feared being by all, he was second only to the Emperor, and he controlled just about every one he was around. Why was it like that? Please shed some light on this, anyone.

I guess it's kind of like Saddam Hussein really, he's feared because if you get him angry, he'll just kill you. Just look at the Empire Strikes Back... all the officers are terrified of him because if they fail, he chokes them. And also, he's a sith lord... they're pretty darn scary. Plus.. Vader is mean with a lightsaber.. I'm sure we'll see in Episode III just how good he is cause he'll be in his prime.

JEDIpartner
08-18-2003, 04:01 PM
All of the above but just look at him! No one really knew what lurked beneath that armour! :evil:

Personally, I would prefer NOT to see Palpatine/Sidious with a lightsaber. Well, at least not one in a duel. If he just used one- deflecting an attacker's advance, that might be cool.

plo koon 200
08-18-2003, 08:01 PM
but this is the man that taught Darth Maul everything he knew! :)
I think we should definitely see him duel using the force like you said but also.. Yoda is powerful too so they should have to settle it with a lightsaber duel just like with Dooku.
I think Yoda is the one that he fights with cause Yoda says to Luke "do not underestimate the powers of the emperor... or suffer your fathers fate, you will" :)

Why would he have to teach Maul? Who ever said he did? Maul could have learned from someone else. What if for a Sith learning how to use a lightsaber is like learning 1+1=2? Maybe for a Sith the whole combat can and should go way beyond a lightsaber. Look in Episode VI. The Emperor does not fear Luke's lightsaber. What I'm hoping to see is Sidious being able to block lightsaber hits like Vader was able to block blaster blasts in ESB.

I am Jabba the Hutt
08-18-2003, 09:40 PM
Why would he have to teach Maul? Who ever said he did? Maul could have learned from someone else. What if for a Sith learning how to use a lightsaber is like learning 1+1=2? Maybe for a Sith the whole combat can and should go way beyond a lightsaber. Look in Episode VI. The Emperor does not fear Luke's lightsaber. What I'm hoping to see is Sidious being able to block lightsaber hits like Vader was able to block blaster blasts in ESB.

I read it in either a novel or a graphic novel... Sidious raised Maul from birth and that Sith pass on their skills to their apprentice. Hence the fact that they're Master and Apprentice. So yeah, Sidious would have taught Maul. Obviously Sidious didn't need to teach Dooku cause Dooku was already a great swordsman.

plo koon 200
08-18-2003, 10:38 PM
I was aware of that but was speaking in the sense that George Lucas changes the EU.

Sorry for any misinformation.

Anakin2121
08-19-2003, 08:45 AM
Hm, maybe we could see him using new dark side powers that we haven't seen before, like launching little fireballs of "Force Destruction" like in Jedi Knight.
IMHO it would be stupid to see him in a duel, with all those long robes swinging around. And what's all this talk about a "black-bladed" lightsaber? The idea is ridiculous!

TheDarthVader
08-19-2003, 01:03 PM
It might be cool to see Sidious tossing Vader a "black-bladed" lightsaber, but not to use one himself. I like the idea that Sidious is so powerful that he doesn't need a lightsaber...he should be able to utilize the force to be powerful, not a lightsaber. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I agree with wanting to see Sidious deflect lightsaber hits by using the force. That would be cool! :D

JEDIpartner
08-19-2003, 03:24 PM
I like the idea that Sidious is so powerful that he doesn't need a lightsaber...he should be able to utilize the force to be powerful, not a lightsaber.

That's exactly what I was thinking! :D

Jaff
08-19-2003, 04:45 PM
Go, Go Palpy. Cut em up, tear em up all the way. Show your stuff, bash em up in the face! Make em squeel, make em die all the day.

Brainiak76
08-19-2003, 07:02 PM
i just hope we get to see HOW evil he is that it forces yoda to flee to dago!

scruffziller
08-20-2003, 11:46 AM
Forget the saber itself. I want to see Palpy fight off lightsabers with his arms by turning them into sabers from projecting energy all around them.:crazed:

hamsterboy
08-21-2003, 08:49 PM
This is going to be like with Yoda in AOTC. There are those who want to see him use a lightsaber but it's not needed. Both Palpatine and Yoda are powerful enough not to have to use a lightsaber. Besides,I think it kinda takes away from him as a character. All he's been able to do,thus far has been done without much use of The Force. So far,he's used it mostly to hide himself.

Jargo
08-21-2003, 08:58 PM
I can't see Palpy having a full saber about his person. perhaps a mini letter opener one.

"Pocket saber with three handy settings, it slices it dices it shreds, all for just three repblic credits. Call this number 54986546546 and reserve your now, you won't want to leave home without your pocket saber ever again. Money burn a hole in your pocket? let the pocket saber do it instead. Lost a foot in a nasty industrial accident? let pocket saber go to work and cauterise the wound. no need for mess or fuss with the handy pocket knife from Remington. Shaves as close as a blade or your head back on a platter. :D"

Yeah so palpy using a saber is pretty pointless if he's a character with connections and secret ring of assasins and bodyguards and Sith underlings to do his bidding. Force weilding yes, saber use no.

Hellboy
08-21-2003, 11:06 PM
I somewhat agree with both sides of this debate but lets imagine for a moment that Sidious at the time of EP III is not yet as powerful as he is when we see him as Emperor in ROTJ. This might validate him carrying a lightsaber for extra protection against someone as adept in the ways of the force as Yoda. Just a thought :)

Jaff
08-21-2003, 11:11 PM
On a serious note, without my attempt at cheerleading earlier in this post I guess I have to go with Hamsterboy and Emperor Jargo about Palpy not using his saber. As a fan I want to see Palpy openin up a can of woop woop, but it's not in his nature. I think the final fight in the film will have vader whipping some but with palpy standing behind him grinning. That would be the real sight to see.

gsr-jedi
08-23-2003, 10:31 AM
I don't find this idea that offensive, I definitely want to see Sidious in some sort of action, as we never see the full brunt of his powers another 24 years about.
The "black" saber idea is just wrong. All Sith sabers should be red. I remember reading in an issue of Insider, that the Sith's red sabers can channel their dark energies and there's the possibility that a sith's saber could "break" a jedi's saber. It's rearely happens, but is a possibility.

scruffziller
08-23-2003, 12:13 PM
This is going to be like with Yoda in AOTC. There are those who want to see him use a lightsaber but it's not needed. Both Palpatine and Yoda are powerful enough not to have to use a lightsaber. Besides,I think it kinda takes away from him as a character. All he's been able to do,thus far has been done without much use of The Force. So far,he's used it mostly to hide himself.

Yea I agree, to have a saber is nothing more to cheapen the experience for $$$$$$$$:(.

derek
08-24-2003, 12:36 AM
i'd prefer palpatine wasn't involved in any action at all in episode 3, especially using a saber in combat because:

1. they will have to use a stunt double. while i like chris lee as dooku, for the sake of the character, i felt it hurt the movie using an old man for the role as he had to be doubled with a stuntman for most of his fight scenes which caused his saber duels with anakin and obi-wan to suffer. the same would be true for palpatine. i want the episode 3 saber duels to top the episode 1 fights, and using a stuntman and splicing in closeups of an old man really ruins it.

2. we (the audience) are apparently going to know anakin is vader, so i'd at least like to see palpatine's use of force power saved for luke in episode 6 so there will be one suprise for those first time viewers of the 6 films.

jedi master sal
08-25-2003, 12:37 PM
i'd prefer palpatine wasn't involved in any action at all in episode 3, especially using a saber in combat because:

1. they will have to use a stunt double. while i like chris lee as dooku, for the sake of the character, i felt it hurt the movie using an old man for the role as he had to be doubled with a stuntman for most of his fight scenes which caused his saber duels with anakin and obi-wan to suffer. the same would be true for palpatine. i want the episode 3 saber duels to top the episode 1 fights, and using a stuntman and splicing in closeups of an old man really ruins it.

2. we (the audience) are apparently going to know anakin is vader, so i'd at least like to see palpatine's use of force power saved for luke in episode 6 so there will be one suprise for those first time viewers of the 6 films.

Yeah, I agree, besides has anyone taken into consideration one of Palpy's last lines..."Now, only at the END, do you understand"

That could be meant for Luke, AS WELL as the movie viewer.

Yes, I'd like to see Palpy use his force power but it's not needed and DEFINITELY NOT with a Saber!

sergiurusu
09-18-2003, 03:58 AM
Will we see Palpatine fighting with a lightsaber?

Pendo
09-18-2003, 04:04 AM
I hope not :mad:! IMO some characters should never get out their sabers. Yoda should never have gotten his out, and Palpatine should never get his out. Palpatine's attacks should come 100% from the force, he just would feel right him using a saber. I also think it would make him less creepy.

PENDO!

2-1B
09-18-2003, 04:25 AM
I'm almost certain we'll never see Palpatine with a lightsaber. :)

The 'Xir
09-19-2003, 02:17 PM
as someone else mentioned, we all prayed and hoped that Lucas wouldn't put a saber in Yoda's hands', now what we have is a sad soundtrack of what Yoda sounds like while having sex, grunting and moaning through his fight!
So it is inevitable that Sidious will be weilding a saber also! Instead of a black or red saber I think it would be cool to see him with a violet or purple saber like Maces'. Imagine that color in or on a very dark set! Maybe Mace will kill Dooku and Plapatine will use Dooku's fallen saber at first but then Mace loses his during battle and palps sweeps it up and ends up killing Mace with his own saber! I Actually I've always wanted to see a Jedi, force weild a bunch of lightsabers at once. Palps power might be perfect for this! Imagine him whizzing like 10 lightsabers through the air at oncomming Jedi possibly confronting a saber for each oncomming Jedi, or what would be cooler would be Him force throwing sabers at oncomming Jedi like darts or boomarangs!