PDA

View Full Version : Home Schooling

Kidhuman
08-18-2003, 02:12 PM
Me and my wife are thinking about home schooling our children. We have been looking up stuff on line for a few days. I was wondering if anyone here is home schooling there kids or is being home schooled or has been home schooled. Any info on it would be appreciated. Is it expensive to do, how much time do you spend a day on it, stuff like that. Thanks in advance.

CloneTrooperMace
08-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Hey,
I'm home schooled,I take online cases.What grades are your kids going into?Try a search under "school in a box",Thats what I searched and I came across Flvs.net (http://www.flvs.net).It's for middle & High schools.

-CTM-

QLD
08-18-2003, 05:42 PM
I don't know much about homeschooling except this.

Based on all of the home schooled kids I met working at Borders, just make sure they get lots of social activity if you do. Little League, Soccor, community events, ballet, summer camp, or whatever. Because 90% of these kids do not know how to interact socially.

I think a lot of important lessons are learned in public/private school, that can't be taught at home.

Just my opinion.

CloneTrooperMace
08-18-2003, 05:55 PM
Based on all of the home schooled kids I met working at Borders, just make sure they get lots of social activity if you do. Little League, Soccor, community events, ballet, summer camp, or whatever. Because 90% of these kids do not know how to interact socially.

I'm doing just fine with it,I go to the store or something every week and I'm fine.If they want to meet someone take them to Wal-Mart,Take them to the sea food section and you got Sea World as a trip.

-CTM-

Jedi Teacher
08-18-2003, 06:00 PM
I teach 4th grade in a public school. Don't worry--I'm not an "ANTI-HOME SCHOOL" teacher!

I think it would depend on the grade(s) your children are in and which state you live in. I believe that each state has its own requirements that you and your wife would need to meet. This may include standardized testing (which would probably be done at your local public school) or some other proof to show that your kids are learning.

As far as the grade level, it is probably "easier" for you to learn and teach elementary school curriculum instead of high school physics, for example. It will still take time for you to thoroughly understand and then choose the best method of presenting the material to your children.

Also, make sure you've examined your reasons for wanting to home school. If it is beacuse your local school is awful, sometimes you can request that your children attend a different school in the same district. Are you looking for a religious education and cannot afford a private school? You can always supplement the education that your kids would receive at the local school. These are just some other options to consider-- but home schooling may still be your best option. It's up to you to decide what is best for your kids.

I would also agree with Lando, and make sure your kids are in some other activities in the community to get to know other kids.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!! :)

Oh, by the way, here's teaching lesson #1:
You said:
"Me and my wife are thinking about home schooling our children."
It should be "My wife and I are thinking about home schooling our children." :D

Kidhuman
08-18-2003, 07:58 PM
Oh, by the way, here's teaching lesson #1:
You said:
"Me and my wife are thinking about home schooling our children."
It should be "My wife and I are thinking about home schooling our children." :D

And aint aint a word either :crazed: :crazed:

jjreason
08-18-2003, 10:26 PM
First off, I think socializing them will be very important, KH, but that's been said to death here.

Try and find other people with kids your age - maybe even some who are homeschooling or considering it, and liaise with them to find out what they've discovered (resources, experiences, etc).

Im 100% convinced our kids are going to public elementary school when it gets to that point (2 years until #1 is ready), because that's what my wife and I did. We both enjoyed school and have good rememberances of it.

There's also the free time you'd be passing up - selfish, but a consideration nonetheless. Good luck, that's a big thing to be considering for sure.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-18-2003, 10:56 PM
Home schooling seems to be a growing choice for a number of America's families and that is fine so long as parents give a 110% commitment to their children and their studies.

Obviously the benefits include one-on-one instruction. As a teacher, you have to try to cater to 21-25 different students and perhaps as many learning styles during a 6 hour day. It is very hard to give each student the attention they deserve and need. Another advantage would be a faster pace of covering the cirriculum. With one or two children being home schooled, you need not dilly long on reinforcing certain standards that the state demands teacher's do, once a child has mastered it. Home schooled students often are given an accelerated cirrculum, and cover much more material in a year than your average public schooler. It is no surprise that if you watch the annual Scripps-Howard Spelling Bee in Washington D.C. that it seems a majority of the contenders are home-schooled.

But as I said before, a parent must be committed to home schooling and not fall into the trap of taking days off or being lackadaisical when it comes to the pace or discpline. The parent must try their best to follow a rigourous schedule. And yes, home schooled children do seem to be a tad bit socially awkward then their public/private schooled peers. A parent must try their best not to isolate their children when they are in a home school environment.

Anakin2121
08-19-2003, 07:52 AM
Well, kidhuman, like the others have said, there's many factors to consider, but what's most important is probably making sure the kids spend as much times as possible with peers.
After all, what use is all the education given to a home-schooled kid if he grows up incapable of interacting with people his own age?

I've known home-schooled kids in my earlier days. :) Some of them had dads that worked a lot, so the only real role model/influence in their lives were their mothers....and they'd spent little if any time in public schools, around kids their age....so they weren't socialized. Really, to be honest, virtually everything that can be wrong with a human being, aside from being, say, morally corrupt, was wrong with these kids!! One of them is 19 years old and still can't talk to girls....or even other boys, for that matter. I really fear for them... :(

InsaneJediGirl
08-19-2003, 10:10 AM
I've been homeschooled for 6th,7th,10th,11th and now my Senior year.Personally,I think homeschooling depends on the kid(s) and their parents.Both need to have high motivation and the ability to follow through with their tasks.As for the pros,I personally have found my reading skills and verbal skills have shot through the roof,and I like the one-on-one attention given to me.Another aspect would have to be the ability,of once the children are older,to move into "specialized" academic programs suited to their interests (I.E. Medical Professions,Weatherperson,etc) but still continue with "traditional" subjects.

As for the social aspect of homeschooling,children in my opinion still in elementary school need to interact with others their age to learn social skills.However,for middle and high school I think that many important social skills have been learned and the parent can help the kids out otherwise.If you are really worried about not enough social interaction,have them join a sports team or a local Homeschool Group in your area.They normally have planned meetings and field trips where kids and parents can gather around to share ideas,plan field trips,etc.

sweetrain1215
08-19-2003, 07:02 PM
Hi there, I'm Kidhuman's wife...Angela.
I've been reading over some of the responses given here about home schooling...thank you for responding. However I would like to point out one thing...the word "socialization" :rolleyes: does keep coming up. Lol..they aren't German Shepherds they are children...human ones at that.
While I do understand the need for the children to be around others their own age,that's not the most important consideration in my point of view. What we are really looking for is some information on curriculum that any of you may have used in homeschooling your own children. If ya don't have any info. that's fine too....
Thanks for the responses.............

kool-aid killer
08-20-2003, 07:31 AM
Me no schol at home but tink mastry of inglish langage, lice mi own, be verry importent. And P.E. too, let that mofo run! But seriously I went through the public school system (i think i came out okay) so I would have to say what they teach. Ive got a question though, why are you choosing this way? Are schools in your area underachieving or overcrowded?

jeddah
08-20-2003, 07:51 AM
And P.E. too, let that mofo run!

:D LOL. Thank you so much for bringing so much laughter to my day. Have a good week!

jeddah

Anakin2121
08-20-2003, 09:06 AM
Yes, it's important the kid gets some exercise. At the very least he'd be walking between classes at a public school.

The Overlord Returns
08-20-2003, 11:28 AM
Hi there, I'm Kidhuman's wife...Angela.
I've been reading over some of the responses given here about home schooling...thank you for responding. However I would like to point out one thing...the word "socialization" :rolleyes: does keep coming up. Lol..they aren't German Shepherds they are children...human ones at that.
While I do understand the need for the children to be around others their own age,that's not the most important consideration in my point of view. What we are really looking for is some information on curriculum that any of you may have used in homeschooling your own children. If ya don't have any info. that's fine too....
Thanks for the responses.............

I think what they are getting at rain is the notion that a kid taken out of the social environment of school can have negative effects, thus there is a need to compensate the lack of child/child interaction with perhaps a little league team...or soccer...my vote would go for soccer....baseball sucks ;)

Anyhoo....... here's what is touted to be the worlds most visited home school website, if you haven't already visited:

Hoeme Schaol werld (http://www.home-school.com/)

sweetrain1215
08-20-2003, 11:44 AM
Hey there overlord....you're here too,eh? Haha nice to "see" you actually! Yep, I knew what they were getting at...had to add my bit of sarcasm ya know. As soon as the words "homeschooling" comes out of my mouth the first response is usually..."what?! what about socializing??!!"
Puh...it's not like I plan to lock them in the house away from other people...actually by going the homeschool route I believe it will free up a lot of time for them to join clubs,teams ect...they won't have the stress of a set 8 hours a day at school then come home to do homework and then go to whatever other activities they may have. Ya know? So we really do think that this will be better for them socially. Needless to say the public school experience isn't all it's cracked up to be. I personally HATED it. I experienced the typical mauling of highschool aged boys ect....and I don't want my daughter to have to put up with that crap. Plus you have the cliques ect...not to mention metal detectors,drug dogs sniffing around. And on and on.... :crazed:
Hey,thanks for the link...I'm gonna check it out in a bit....
Yep, I agree with soccer I played when I was little.

The Overlord Returns
08-20-2003, 11:58 AM
Hey....being here was how I ended up "going" there.......hence my prior familiarity with your man, and BigBarada et al....

Likewise on the seeing thing......

JON9000
08-20-2003, 12:46 PM
That's a really interesting website. Most homeschooled kids I knew were kept home because they were very musical or had some other special aptitude, so their days were structured around that. Others were homeschooled because both they and their parents were extraordinarily intelligent and they simply could not be challenged by a public school regimen. There were also kids who were not particularly exceptional, rather, they were kept out due to their parents political or religious convictions.

I do not know if home schooling makes some of the kids social misfits or not. I think some of it may stem from the fact that the kids are so darn smart, they operate on a different level in general. I would hesitate to discount social skills- sheer talent is great, but without the ability to deal with people, there will be unique challenges in life that can make it hard to realize the full potential of one's talent.

What I do know is that it must take an extraordinary commitment. I mean, if you figure in order to qualified to teach high school level courses you have to be well educated yourself, you are essentially giving up an income to teach (unless you stay home anyway).

sweetrain1215
08-20-2003, 01:16 PM
I don't know if we would be considered "super intellegent" family or not..hmmm....I doubt it. I'd venture to say that we are a bit above average in some areas and not so much in others...as are most people.
As far as commitment goes, that really should be a given as soon as one becomes a parent. If you are a parent of school aged children and you sit down with them to do their homework after school..you are as much as homeschooling them already.
I would say that my main reason behind making this decision comes from a personal belief system....I.E. religious or political beliefs...'nough said about that.

The Overlord Returns
08-20-2003, 01:52 PM
We can't talk 'bout that sort a stuff no more anyhows..... ;)

Porcelina
08-20-2003, 03:49 PM
Lol..they aren't German Shepherds they are children...human ones at that.

aye, but they're both animals :)

Porcelina
08-20-2003, 03:52 PM
I experienced the typical mauling of highschool aged boys ect....and I don't want my daughter to have to put up with that crap. Plus you have the cliques ect...not to mention metal detectors,drug dogs sniffing around. And on and on....

but that's life.... just my opinion, but they're gonna have to deal with that eventually, anyway... sheltering them isn't necessarily a good thing

sweetrain1215
08-20-2003, 04:19 PM
We can't talk 'bout that sort a stuff no more anyhows..... ;)

:zzz: I know.....bleck......

Kidhuman
08-20-2003, 04:20 PM
but that's life.... just my opinion, but they're gonna have to deal with that eventually, anyway... sheltering them isn't necessarily a good thing

It is not so much the idea of sheltering them. It is the idea of keeping them away from the distractions. If they were to be sheltered, we wouldnt put them in other activities and lock them in an attic and slide them food under the door. Actually all we asked for was some info on home schooling. By doing homeschooling it will free them up to have the opputunity for other activities. Instead of getting up at 6:30 am and getting on a bus at 7:15 and getting home close to five and then doing homework and all. They have little time for anything else.

Plus who needs the everyday distractions of others saying" You wear these clothes and not Gap" It is stupid and distracts away from any education. This way they can learn at home and not have to deal with that garbage. It will be easier on them and easier on us as parents controlling what they learn and how much. They wont have the whole I am tired thing going on at 1pm and not learn anything. They can learn at their own pace and actually progress ahead of others in school. Plus modern schooling systems are not allthat great. When I went to school I hated it. Overcrowded classrooms, teachers not taking enough time to go over certain subjects and explain themfully. Homeschooling to me is the way to go.

sweetrain1215
08-20-2003, 04:23 PM
It is not so much the idea of sheltering them. It is the idea of keeping them away from the distractions. If they were to be sheltered, we wouldnt put them in other activities and lock them in an attic and slide them food under the door. Actually all we asked for was some info on home schooling. By doing homeschooling it will free them up to have the opputunity for other activities. Instead of getting up at 6:30 am and getting on a bus at 7:15 and getting home close to five and then doing homework and all. They have little time for anything else.

Plus who needs the everyday distractions of others saying" You wear these clothes and not Gap" It is stupid and distracts away from any education. This way they can learn at home and not have to deal with that garbage. It will be easier on them and easier on us as parents controlling what they learn and how much. They wont have the whole I am tired thing going on at 1pm and not learn anything. They can learn at their own pace and actually progress ahead of others in school. Plus modern schooling systems are not allthat great. When I went to school I hated it. Overcrowded classrooms, teachers not taking enough time to go over certain subjects and explain themfully. Homeschooling to me is the way to go.

Yeah..what he said!

2-1B
08-21-2003, 02:24 AM
Hey there overlord....you're here too,eh? Haha nice to "see" you actually!

He's much better looking in his Cobra Commander fatigues, isn't he? ;)

The Overlord Returns
08-21-2003, 09:48 AM
AAWWW........Thanks Caesar.. ;)

mabudonicus
08-21-2003, 01:36 PM
Hey, Sweetrain and KH "master of humanitar"... (BTW, Angela is my almost-wife's name too)

All's I can say (and no need, JediTeacher, to correct MY english, I LIKE'S it this way;)) is that school messed me up SEVERELY.... sadly, it's pretty much socio-economic trouble... I lived with my mother and sister... my mom was real poor and she insisted that, since I was "smart", I go to upper-class schools dressed in hand-me-downs...
The only "socializing" I did was to hear what a "loser" I was... I ended up getting the boot from my home when I was 16 because I "Didn't know what I wanted to do"... I hated every minute of "instruction"... stupid people who don't even fully understand the field they teach... my biggest problem was the fact that teachers actually treated me differently cos I wasn't wearing the proper brand-name clothes... I swear, there was only 1 teacher that really ever taught me anything, and oddly enough he taught me to no believe anything, the only true "knowledge" I ever got from such an institution...
I mean, I took trigonometry and junk like that, why waste any part of your life "learning" some stupid little set of factoids you will never use....

Okay, focus..... even a week ago I was explaining someting of which I had a vague recollection from high school.... everyone in the room remarked "how can you remember that?? I forgot EVERYTHING I LEARNED in school"... actually a common utterance, but it literally blew my mind... structured school is a terrible way to waste a mind..

BTW..... From all the "socialization" I got at school, I learned ONE valuable lesson... most people are robotic dummies without even the most basic inkling of anything and how it relates to anything else......

Okay, I'm done... your kids have some pretty awesome parents, congratulations to you both!!!
\m/ :D \m/

sweetrain1215
08-21-2003, 01:54 PM
Hey, Sweetrain and KH "master of humanitar"... (BTW, Angela is my almost-wife's name too)

Okay, focus..... even a week ago I was explaining someting of which I had a vague recollection from high school.... everyone in the room remarked "how can you remember that?? I forgot EVERYTHING I LEARNED in school"... actually a common utterance, but it literally blew my mind... structured school is a terrible way to waste a mind..

BTW..... From all the "socialization" I got at school, I learned ONE valuable lesson... most people are robotic dummies without even the most basic inkling of anything and how it relates to anything else......

Okay, I'm done... your kids have some pretty awesome parents, congratulations to you both!!!
\m/ :D \m/

Almost her name,eh? She couldn't afford the G? Hehe sorry...is she your fiance? You lost me with that one.....
Yep I agree about forgetting everything from highschool...I've heard so many people say just that! I'm sure I'll learn a lot along with the kids...(there's a picture of Jacob in my profile...I have to show him off...shameless plug for my son there).

mabudonicus
08-21-2003, 08:14 PM
First off, welcome to the boards Sweetrain!!
Well.... I guess I'm not sure, SR (like KH, but different, just for the folks with acronymical troubles) we are totally going to be united in some sort of official way... if JJreason could marry people that's what I'd want, but I think we'd have to be a long way from shore.....

sweetrain1215
08-21-2003, 08:46 PM
First off, welcome to the boards Sweetrain!!
Well.... I guess I'm not sure, SR (like KH, but different, just for the folks with acronymical troubles) we are totally going to be united in some sort of official way... if JJreason could marry people that's what I'd want, but I think we'd have to be a long way from shore.....

SR...sir? Hehe.....thanks for the welcome I appreciate it. KH spends so much time here that I figured I might as well join him and see what all the laughing at the computer screen was all about.
So you are totally going to be united is some sort of official way? Lol..you afraid to call it marriage..or is there some other official way?