PDA

View Full Version : LOTR: The Return of the King thread

Mandalorian Candidat
08-19-2003, 02:16 PM
First of all I really want to know what is up with this movie! We've all had little chats about this and that and how will RotK end and everything else in between. The whole "promotion" of this movie is befuddling. With TTT there was a special preview and, if I remember correctly, tons of promotional stuff going on (books, commericials, etc.) way before the movie's release. It seems to me that NewLine/PJ hasn't done as much for this movie.

The preview isn't going to be released until next week's 2-disc TTT DVD set and we really haven't seen anything official on the last movie other than the release date in December.

Does the studio assume that they really don't need to do much promotion-wise? Are they afraid that oversaturation of the market will occur if they push too much or too early? Is there something screwed up with the production of the last movie so the studio is holding back on what they release?

Anyways, I did some hunting around on Yahoo and came up with a bootleg trailer for RotK to tide everyone over. Enjoy! (http://www.dtheatre.com/read.php?sid=2106)

AT-AT Man
08-19-2003, 03:51 PM
hey cool, i can't wait to see this movie. I hope it is as good as the second one, because that one rocked.

Jargo
08-19-2003, 05:33 PM
The official trailer is in theaters from mid september. This is also as far as I know the official official release date worldwide of the toys to go with the movie. I would hazard a guess and say that the reason there isn't much available is that many of the shots are not yet complete and they won't be until right before the premiere. Plus it's only3/4 months to the movie and between now and then there's the deluxe four disk set released in November which may have more footage included. TV spots will undoubtedly begin appearing soon and the stars will start doing the rounds of the talk shows to publicise it. I think they're going for a faster closer to release all out big bang approach rather than a long drawn out whinining nagging one.
The 'bootleg' trailer is the footage from the Two towers DVD. :) Still cool though.

AT-AT Man
08-19-2003, 05:36 PM
hey just watched the preview, Damn, it looks friggin awesome. can't wait for this movie. It's definately going to blow TT away.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-20-2003, 11:09 AM
The 'bootleg' trailer is the footage from the Two towers DVD. :) Still cool though.

Are you sure about that Jargo? I've read the TTT disc is supposed to have a 10 minute preview similar to the one released in Jan 2002 at the end of FotR. The trailer is only about 2 minutes in length. Check out amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005JKZV/qid=1061391926/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_2/002-8260849-8827242?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846)'s description and tell me what you think. Are they talking about a preview trailer or just a behind-the-scenes blurb.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-20-2003, 12:24 PM
Thegd.com has a link to a german site that has A LOT OF pictures from the Extended Edition and that relate to ROTK. Problem is, i cna't get the damned site to load!!! :mad:

Mandalorian Candidat
08-20-2003, 01:07 PM
Thegd.com has a link to a german site that has A LOT OF pictures from the Extended Edition and that relate to ROTK. Problem is, i cna't get the damned site to load!!! :mad:

Is it herr-den-ringe or whatever it's called in German?

Here's a direct link. (http://www.herr-der-ringe-film.de/v2/de/news/news-detail_710.php)

Beware of some spoilers!

Jargo
08-20-2003, 02:36 PM
From what i understand, the bootleg thing is cut together from snippets from the DVD. It's like a big clips and interviews thing and the interviews between the clips were cut out.
However, if this isn't the case then I stand corrected. I was just going on information I got at LOTR websites.
The pictures at Herr de ringe are awesome.
Incidentally, got to lordoftherings.net and download the new teaser poster series. Arwen looks so hot! Lovely big shot of Gollum too. I downloaded them all as desktops too. Pretty cool.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-20-2003, 05:06 PM
They must have just posted those pictures because yesterday I was on there hunting around for a glimpse of anything from RotK. The picture descriptions are very nondescript except for a few.

"(left) Legolas (Orlando Bloom) and Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) brace themselves for a dangerous confrontation in New Line Cinema's epic adventure."

"Gandalf (Ian McKellen) is determined that evil will not prevail in New Line Cinema's epic adventure."

The one of Aragorn and Legolas looks like it's from where they go off to in the hills to collect the Army of the Dead or what ever it's called.

Jargo
08-20-2003, 07:56 PM
I was quite impressed with the shot of Aragorn entering the paths of the dead. All the skulls in the walls. Chilly.

I've been archiving all the shots I find that are viewable. Some of the magazine scans are either so small you can't anyhting out or too fuzzy and dark. Screen caps are variable in quality too. I just went on a download blitz and copied entire sites worth of images to my hard drive for sorting later. And not having watched TTT yet I can't sort it from ROTK really. Quite impressive pics though these ROTK ones. I just can't help feeling the skies are going to get a bit depressing all blackened and gloomy for three hours in a darkened theater. No wonder the Gondorians are all miserable as sin. I've decided that I'm definately going to see ROTK in a theater though. Even though i hate the places it's got to be worth seeing it on the big screen with all that awesome fighting and flying fell beasts and wotnot. Is it December yet? :stupid:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-20-2003, 10:11 PM
woah woah, shots of Aragorn in the Land of the Dead and whatnot, am i looking at the same pictures?! are we still at that german site?!? which pics are these and is there anyway to get the site in english?!?! :D

Mandalorian Candidat
08-21-2003, 05:11 PM
woah woah, shots of Aragorn in the Land of the Dead and whatnot, am i looking at the same pictures?! are we still at that german site?!? which pics are these and is there anyway to get the site in english?!?! :D

I was referring to the shots posted on the official site. I'm not 100% sure that is what the particular picture I referred to is about but from the description and overall gloomy look I think it's consistent with them going to get the dead army.

Jargo
08-21-2003, 06:27 PM
I was referring to the shots posted on the official site. I'm not 100% sure that is what the particular picture I referred to is about but from the description and overall gloomy look I think it's consistent with them going to get the dead army.
There is another site with shots of the entire ten minute preview. The coolest screen caps ever! EVER! I just can't remember the link so excuse me while i go hunt at another site for a minute, back in two.......

Here ya go, enjoy (http://homepage.mac.com/elwen/PhotoAlbum9.html)!

RooJay
08-22-2003, 01:19 AM
Can we buy our tickets yet? :D

kool-aid killer
08-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Yes this movie is going to be awesome. I cant wait. Im going to take the day off work (i get off at 7:30) so that i can go to one of the earlier showings.

Beast
08-22-2003, 10:05 AM
The following is from Cineascape...let's just hope they have adiquate bathroom break intermissions. Cause I can see a lot of folks nearly exploding from something like this. :eek: :D

New Line Cinema is planning on releasing the extended versions of THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING and THE TWO TOWERS in theaters before the December 17 release of THE RETURN OF THE KING.

The plan is to release the first of Peter Jackson's LORD OF THE RINGS films, FELLOWSHIP, on December 5. The following week after, on December 12 the extended edition of THE TWO TOWERS will come out. Then, as part of a special all-day long marathon, New Line wants theater owners to show the extended FELLOWSHIP and TOWERS films back-to-back on December 16 -- to be followed by the first showing of THE RETURN OF THE KING at 11:00 PM that day. That's well over nine hours of Tolkien movie to see in just one day!
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

aceguide
08-22-2003, 10:48 AM
Fandango!!!!!!!!!!!

BlahBlahBlah
08-22-2003, 02:22 PM
:eek: :eek:

Guess where I'll be the 16th!

Jargo
08-23-2003, 10:11 PM
Oh boy the preview in the flesh is so much better than I expected. Utterly utterly awesome. Ten minutes of pure heaven that bested the actual movie main feature. Elijah says the third movie is better than both 1 and 2 and I reckon he's gonna be proved right. The footage is just blindingly fantastic.

Mandalorian Candidat
08-25-2003, 11:40 AM
That's well over nine hours of Tolkien movie to see in just one day!

Will viewers be allowed to bring a pee jar into the theater?

Thanks for the link, EJ. Looks like a behind-the-scenes preview after all. Can't wait till this time manana.

RooJay
08-25-2003, 04:29 PM
Although I'd tend to doubt many theater chains would be interested in that idea (they can make much more many with several more showings of other, much shorter films), I will be so there if it actually happens!
Likewise with a 14 or so hour marathon of all six Star Wars movies once the saga is complete! :D

Will viewers be allowed to bring a pee jar into the theater?

As a former theater manager, might I suggest the following:
Once emptied of it's contents, that 48oz. soda cup makes for an excellent receptacle! :eek: Frighteningly, as a manager who often stepped in to help my usher clean auditoriums, I speak from experience.
People leave THE most disgusting stuff behind when they leave the theater! In spite of the fact that there are usually garbage cans literally all over theater lobbies. Please dump your own crap people - ushers don't typically get paid much, and they're required to clean up other people's messes only because most people are to lazy to dump their own trash when they exit the auditorium. Just because they get paid minimum wage to pick up your trash doesn't mean they should have to.

...and that's one to grow on! ;)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-24-2003, 02:19 PM
Just a friendly reminder: The Trailer for Return of the King will be showing with "Secondhand Lions" starting this friday. A person on the onering.net has already seen it, and here is their description. BEWARE THE REVIEW OF THE TRAILER HAS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/1064418201 SPOILERS SPOILERS

K, NO SPOILERS FOLLOW

On a side note, Howard Shore, the conductor of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, is performing with the Columbus Symphony orchestra on March 26th. They will be doing tracks off the Lord of the Rings score. I got my tickets today, 2nd row of the front balcony. This to me seems to be a once in a lifetime experiences, not often do conductors perform their work, at least in Ohio..hehehehheheehhee Just thought i'd tell y'all, in case somebody here would like to attend. Check out: http://www.csobravo.org/newseason0304/lordfriday.htm

Cheers! :D

ThomasLane
09-29-2003, 03:06 PM
There are links to the trailer at theonering.net. Takes a looong time to download, but well worth it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-29-2003, 05:09 PM
I got the trailer from the official site and this thing has nearly brought tears to my eyes. SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

I must say the shot of Shelob is downright awesome. I think she's going to be truly a really scary, horrid creature to behold on the big screen.
I'm truly at a loss for words for this trailer. I haven't been this excited for a movie since.....hell, i haven't been. I think this might go down as one of the greatest films of all time. GO DOWNLOAD THIS TRAILER NOW! :D

jjreason
09-29-2003, 05:26 PM
Im nearly peeing with anticipation over this movie. I haven't wanted to see a movie this much since Empire. It's a 100 percent lock that this movie is going to be absolutely fantastic. Less than 90 days to go.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-29-2003, 05:45 PM
I decided to go ahead and take a freeze frame of Shelob and post her pic; just for S's and G's. This should get some nerd fans like myself even giddier for the movie! hehehehehehehe :D I had to resize it slightly, but she looks fantastic. I think this scene is going to make me pee myself with fear. :) Enjoy!!

Mandalorian Candidat
09-29-2003, 10:11 PM
Dang sweet!

Here's the link to the trailer from quicktime.com (http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/returnoftheking/).

jpak001
09-29-2003, 11:28 PM
Oh man...... That is awesome!

I'm with you guys, I haven't felt this way about any movie since Empire was released so long ago. FOTR & TTT almost bring tears to me eyes every time I watch them, I can imagine what ROTK will be like! This trailer has me drooling with anticipation :D !!!

That 10 minute dvd preview is really great too! :)

RooJay
09-30-2003, 02:17 AM
I think this scene is going to make me pee myself with fear.

Im nearly peeing with anticipation over this movie.

There's a whole lotta peein' goin' on around here! Yeesh! :crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-05-2003, 03:36 PM
The list of theaters showing all 3 films has been released!! Check it out!!

http://www.lordoftherings.net/trilogy/theaters.html

I plan on seeing it in Columbus, Ohio and i called the theater today for more info. Here is what the kind lady told me:

Tickets are $25.00 (3 movies, remember)
Purchase info: tickets go on sale Thursday October 9th, 1 pm, she told me that they were going to be available ONLY online for the first 24 hours; after that, you can get them at the box office, though she said that they don't expect them to last that long (only 500 available)
Showtimes (possible to change)- She said the time they had listed are:
Fellowship 1:00 pm
Two Towers- 5:30 pm
Return of the King- 10 pm

Now, this is for my theater, so it may vary from theater to theater, but i don't think they'll be too much. Nerd ensemble on Dec 16th, commence!! :D

James Boba Fettfield
10-05-2003, 04:51 PM
Speaking from past experience with the AMC Lennox, you LOTR nerds (I say that with affection) in Ohio better be quick on the draw for the tickets. I saw how it was with their X2 and Matrix tickets, and it's not pretty. Get your tickets as soon as they're available and get to the theater early! Best of luck, LOTR ner-uh, fans.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-06-2003, 10:46 PM
OOH, this sounds soooo tempting, but there's only one theatre in UT showing all three. I'm not up for fighting the billions of hard core LOTR geeks up here for 300 or so tickets.

I'd rather rent a digital projector and watch it on the wall at my house and be able to take a pee break at my leisure, thank you very much.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-09-2003, 01:50 PM
www.movietickets.com is having serious trouble. Nobody can acess anything!! It's nuts!!! the tix for the cols show scheduled to go on sale @1 and still, nothing. I talked to the manager and he's like "we'll update when the site isn't getting hit so hard" so God only knows. I don't care, i'm missing my 1 o clock and don't have crap to do till, 6. I'll gladly refresh until then. :D Good luck everybody!

Edit: I just got my tickets at about 4:10 pm. The site kept crashing, went up, couldn't process orders, crashed again and as a clerk put it "just died." Phew!! I got my 2 tickets though!! wooooohooooooooo!! :D

kool-aid killer
10-09-2003, 10:02 PM
I would like to go but the problem is i dont have anybody to go with. My mother and sister both will be working, my younger brother will probably still be in school, and my older brother likes the movies but not enough to go out of his way to see them. None of my friends are interested in these types of things. Sounds so cool but i will probably have to skip.

RooJay
10-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Just go alone.

kool-aid killer
10-10-2003, 08:02 AM
I might have to. Being able to see them all in order at the cinema is a once in a lifetime experience.

bigbarada
10-18-2003, 07:23 PM
This movie looks like it will be absolutely amazing, but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment by getting too excited. Right now, I can't imagine any movie being better than Two Towers. So, if I go into the theater with that attitude then I think I will either be pleasantly surprised or totally blown away by ROTK. :cool:

Beast
11-09-2003, 07:28 AM
This post contains minor spoilers. Please disregard, if you don't wish to know something about RotK. You have been warned. :)

Saruman will not appear in 'Return of the King'. His scenes were cut from the film, as he doesn't do anything of importance in RotK. His scenes will be restored in the EE DVD, that will come out next year. This from Peter Jackson himself. :(

"The problem is that the sequence was originally shot for THE TWO TOWERS, as it is in the book. Since THE TWO TOWERS couldn't sustain a 7 min 'wrap' after Helm's Deep, we thought it would be a good idea to save it for the beginning of THE RETURN OF THE KING. The trouble is, when we viewed various ROTK cuts over the last few weeks, it feels like the first scenes are wrapping last year's movie, instead of starting the new one. We felt it got ROTK off to an uncertain beginning, since Saruman plays no role in the events of ROTK (we don't have the Scouring later, as the book does), yet we dwell in Isengard for quite a long time before our new story kicks off."

Jackson reliefs fans by also mentioning that the excised Saruman scenes will be included in the eventual extended DVD edition of THE RETURN OF THE KING to be made available next November.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Yeah, i saw this last week when it first made news and the general opinion is: this is mucho bulls***. I understand his logic behind it, but jesus, it's 7 MINUTES, big whoop, ya know? Just toss it on there. This creates a continuity issue because if the whole trip to Isengard is cut out, how are they going to explain Pipping getting the planitir and doesn't Aragorn look into the planitir and whatnot? I think most audiences won't mind this cut, as the last time we saw Saruman, he was panicking and retreating into his tower thing, so most audiences will presume he's dead or something. I smell a voice over about his fate; i won't like it, but hey, i'm not the director; this movie is still going to be beyond awesome. :D

TheDarthVader
11-09-2003, 12:52 PM
*************VERY MINOR MINOR SPOILER**************

I am upset at the fact that he left out Shelob from TTT and the reforging of Anduril from FOTR so that both could be in ROTK. I mean, come on! Those scenes could have strengthened their respective pictures.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-10-2003, 06:50 PM
*************VERY MINOR MINOR SPOILER**************

I am upset at the fact that he left out Shelob from TTT and the reforging of Anduril from FOTR so that both could be in ROTK. I mean, come on! Those scenes could have strengthened their respective pictures.

I'm really curious as to the beginning of ROTK. We had the prologue in FOTR and Gandalf's high dive in TTT, both of which led well into their respective movies. Perhaps a revisit to Isengard showing Saruman and Wormie getting their collective butts whipped by the Ents followed by a quick introduction of the palantir recovery would work well. However, now we'll never know unless this will be the DVD's beginning.

billfremore
11-11-2003, 11:51 AM
I recently checked out how much my local theatre would be charging for the Trilogy showing.

Am I the only one who thinks a $50 price tag is a bit expensive?

Sheesh for the price of two people going I could own all three extended versions on DVD!

Mandalorian Candidat
12-01-2003, 11:11 AM
I've been hunting around for the RotK soundtrack. It was supposed to be released last week but I have yet to see it. Anyone have any info?

[DSS]Pedr0
12-01-2003, 11:36 AM
I will say, TTT Extended Cut is excellent!!! I watched it last night and I must say, I would have sat in the theater for the 3hr45 or so min of movie.

Capitan_Moroni
12-02-2003, 11:31 PM
MC, the ROTK soundtrack is deffinatly out. A friend of mine up here in Bountiful has it, and its totally awesome.

Anakin2121
12-03-2003, 10:10 AM
MC, the ROTK soundtrack is deffinatly out. A friend of mine up here in Bountiful has it, and its totally awesome.

I concur. Almost every song is undescribably good, and along the lines of the Khazad Dum song from the FOTR soundtrack, in terms of sheer brilliance. :)

I particularly like the "White Tree" song -- it has a lot of the music that played when Boromir died. Sad.

Beast
12-03-2003, 06:01 PM
We have news on two deleted sequences, that will be on the Extended DVD release next year. This is from Dark Horizons, who got it from Newsweek. Warning, some minor spoilers here. :)

Meanwhile Newsweek magazine has details on two of the deleted scenes from "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" that we can expect to see on the DVD release - here's the breakdown (SPOILERS ahead):

Scene 1: Scenes in the House of Healing, where Eowyn and Faramir recuperate after the battle. Aragorn heals Eowyn, she falls harder for him, while Faramir falls for her. Jackson cut it because he felt the movie had strayed too long from Frodo.

Scene 2: Jackson had filmed scenes of Wormtongue killing Sarumon for inclusion in Two Towers, but moved it to Return of the King, but then felt it was "old business" slowing the movie.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
12-03-2003, 06:26 PM

I thought it was out because on Amazon.com and deepdiscountcd.com they both give it a 11/25 release date. However, I have yet to see it in stores. I'll try Media Play ( :mad: ) tonight.

I'm glad you guys think it's good because the music from the trailer sounds really great and I'm hoping it's more of the same. The one thing I'm really apprehensive about is Annie Lennox singing the "Into the West" track. I like her and the Eurythmics but she doesn't seem like the LOTR style like Enya.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-03-2003, 08:33 PM
I'm goingto order the leatherbound special edition of the soundtrack here in a few. I've just been lucky enough to grab a special edition of all 3 flicks and figured i should follow suit and by this one.

I can't wait to see Howard Shore conducting these tracks in columbus. March 24th can't be here quick enough!!! :crazed:

Beast
12-05-2003, 04:01 PM
Just read that the Smeagol/Deagol Scene is in the movie. It's actually at the start of the picture, to get things rolling. Also, some news about the eventual EE. The following info is from 'The Digital Bits'. :)

Here's a little something to get you Lord of the Ring fans even more excited than you probably already are. The theatrical edition of The Return of the King reportedly clocks in at 210 minutes - or 3 and 1/2 hours long. Still not enough for you? Well, director Peter Jackson, speaking to the press in New Zealand this week (according to The Hollywood Reporter) reportedly hinted that The Return of the King: Special Extended DVD Edition, due to be released next year, could clock in at over 4 hours long! Set to be added back into the film are a number of scenes, including one (much talked about online recently) involving the fate of Saruman at Isengard. This is also being reported at TheOneRing.net (which just so happens to be a great site to visit for the latest Rings information these days).
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TheDarthVader
12-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the information, JJB. I am happy to hear that the EE will be over 4 hours long. That is incredible and well worth the money!! I can't wait to see ROTK in the theater!!!! :D :D

kool-aid killer
12-06-2003, 02:33 PM
So anybody got their tickets yet? Im hoping to cash my check today and pick them up for the local 7 o clock showing.

I can handle four hours of ROTK. Cant wait till the EE edition comes out. Any idea if we will have to wait for November of 2004 for it though?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-06-2003, 03:05 PM
Hells yeah, i got my tickets back in october, baby!! TRILOGY TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 pm- Lord of the rings: Fellowship of the Ring (extended edition)
5 pm- Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (extended edition)
10 pm- Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

12-15 hours of pure nerdly goodness, good lord in heaven, i cannot wait!!!!

Kool Aid- Yeah, i think the EE is going to be in the usual November of the following year. I don't think they want to rush things and whatnot, so i'll wait patiently like i did for the EE for both Fellowship and Towers. cheers!! :D

evenflow
12-10-2003, 11:13 AM
I have to say I love my girlfriend. We went out last night and she was liek let me pick what to do. I figured why not. She took me to a screening for Return of the King. I have to say I was really pleased with it. The opening Smeagal scene was cool. It was unexpected. (I stayed away from this post, not wanting to spoil anything for myself) I had only one complaint, but I dont want to ruin anything for anyone. I was so excited though last night. It was really awesome.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Yes! The Smeagol scene is back in the movie! Can't wait to see it. I won two tix for a midnight show off the radio. Guess I'll be going in late to school on the 17th. :D

El Chuxter
12-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Does anyone know what all the covers are for the soundtrack? I know there are seven double-sided cards, which apparently are available with either side showing. Here are the ones I've seen or know of:

1) Gandalf kicking some arse
2) a particularly nasty looking Gollum
3) Merry and Pippin
4) mmmmm, Eowyn (sound of mindless drooling)
5) mmmmm, Arwen (more mindless drooling)
6) Gimli
7) Aragorn
8) Legolas (flipside of Aragorn, I've heard)
9) Theoden
10) some dude I assume is Denethor
11) some slimy looking dude staring at the ring (Isildur? Hobbit Smeagol?)
12) Sam and Frodo
13) Faramir

This would leave one more that I'm not sure of. Eomer? Sauron, perhaps? Elrond? Beorn? Fred Astaire?

And what's coupled with what? I'm trying to figure out which version I want, and being overly anal about it. :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-12-2003, 09:26 PM
Chuxter- I think a lot of what your seeing are just the regular soundtracks with different covers dude. Check out this page from thegd

http://www.thegd.com/Media/audio_movie.asp

It lists the soundtracks since Fellowship. I just got mine from amazon today!! I got the leatherette one or whatever. (third from the top, with the greenish label) I got the first two in the leatherette form, so figured, What the hell?!? Magnificent soundtrack!! GET IT NOW!! :D

Beast
12-14-2003, 05:39 PM
According to an Interview with a Danish Newspaper, the 'Return of the King': Extended Edition DVD will clock in around 4 hrs. and 50 mins. :eek: Wow, just wow. Not much more that can be said about that. I thought the theatrical clocking in around 3 and a half hours was a shock. This is just overwhelming. Sadly it's in danish, and the translator programs don't handle it that well. But one of the quotes does read, four hours and fifty minutes. :)

»Det is all weirdie by dvd - the version. The notices they at home. They can be come at sofaen , or they can be dispel the experience except two - three evening. It is that fantastic by dvd. That treats a all novel dynamically , and i can be insure yourself to dvd - the version from 'Kongen turns back proves yet longish than four classes and 50 minutes , says Peter Jackson by a treacherous grin.
http://politiken.dk/VisArtikel.iasp?PageID=298542

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

kool-aid killer
12-15-2003, 12:17 PM
Sweet!!! I cant wait to see ROTK, and then to hear that we will get another hour on the EE DVD. Happy day for Kool-aid. Im so excited, its going to be hard to focus on work today and tommorrow. Im ready!

Beast
12-15-2003, 05:33 PM
A bit more info about the Return of the King. And a hilarious article about the computer program for the warriors in the Battle of Pelennor Fields. The computer program actually had to be dumbed down, it was so good that the warriors wanted to keep fleeing the battle instead of fighting. :D lol The first is from The Digital Bits. And the other is from the Montreal Gazette. :)

In other news today, Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson has now said in interviews that he expects The Return of the King: Special Extended DVD Version to be MORE than 4 hours and 50 minutes long (this particualr article is in Danish). Thanks to Bits reader Michael N. for the spot. Still more on this comes from the latest edition of Video Store magazine (the December 14-20 issue) in which Jackson says there's about a hour of finished deleted scenes, at least half of which will go into the extended cut. These include a 7-minute sequence with Saruman at Isengard, a scene with Frodo and Sam disguised as orcs and actually end up in the orc army for a time, and a funny scene between Legolas and Gimli involving a drinking game. So could we be looking at a 5-disc set, with the movie spread over 3 discs? Even with the best MPEG-2 compression in the business, that's a LOT of film to try to squeeze on 2 discs, given that you'll probably also have Dolby Digital and DTS sound as well as multiple audio commentary tracks. Regardless of what ends up in the extended DVD, no doubt the remaining shot but unused scenes will still find their way to DVD eventually in some new incarnation. Can you imagine The Lord of the Rings Trilogy in HD-DVD? ;-)

Smart soldiers decided to flee the Rings battle
Digital warriors thought for themselves - and their first thought was to run away
JAMIE PORTMAN
CanWest News Service
Monday, December 15, 2003

It's the greatest and most spectacular battle in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

But filmmakers faced one surprising challenge - how to keep the computer-generated soldiers from fleeing the battlefield.

Director Peter Jackson had laid down his requirements for the Battle of Pelennor Fields - the climactic engagement in The Return of the King in which the heroic defenders of Middle-Earth face the overwhelming might of Sauron and his armies of Darkness. Jackson wanted the computer-generated antagonists to have absolute authenticity on the big screen and to be indistinguishable from the real actors.

Computer wizards responded brilliantly, not only with Sauron's swarming armies but with such additional lethal adversaries as the massive winged Fell Beasts and the giant elephant-like Mumakil. The next step was to ensure that the confrontation itself have detail and authenticity.

"I want battles like nothing anyone has ever seen on screen," Jackson said. I want every soldier fighting for himself - you have to come up with something."

Special effects designer Richard Taylor says this led to the writing of a "massive" principal code for the battle to give more than 200,000 digitized soldiers and some 6,000 horses distinctiveness and individuality.

"So to create these individual agents, there was a code that was especially written and developed," Taylor says, adding that it was like being involved in a living work of science fiction.

"It was the fact that you could get a computer to think for itself, that you could get 200,000 agents within the computer to think for themselves.

"So each of these computerized soldiers is assessing the environment around them, drawing on a repertoire of military moves that have been taught them through motion capture - determining how they will combat the enemy, step over the terrain, deal with obstacles in front of them through their own intelligence - and there's 200,000 of them doing that."

Basically, all the necessary information for decision-making was fed into this network of computers without determining for them whether they would win or lose.

But this attempt to ensure that they acted spontaneously almost sabotaged the the battleground sequences.

"For the first two years, the biggest problem we had was soldiers fleeing the field of battle," Taylor said.

"We could not make their computers stupid enough to not run away."

So some extra computer tinkering was required to ensure that the trilogy's climactic battle worked the way Jackson wanted.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
12-15-2003, 05:45 PM
I won tix to a midnight show tomorrow night. Anyone else planning on seeing it at midnight?

EricRG
12-16-2003, 11:33 AM
I will be there at midnight. :eek: But I will pay for it tomorrow, since I have an 8:30 AM eye appointment.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-17-2003, 12:29 PM
I just got back from Columbus and Trilogy Tuesday!! 15 hours of Lord of the Rings movies at once time!! AWESOME!! Truly a very memorable experience. Seeing the EE of Fellowship and Towers on the big screen was just flat out awesome and seeing people dressed up and all the events and games that were going down was also great. I won some LOTR checkers during the trivia contest!!! A rep from New Line was there and she thanked us and they passed out this thing from Sideshow WETA that has film strips from all 3 films. It was a nice gift for all 500 of us!! anyway, i shan't bore you with the festivities, on to my 2 cents.

This flick was just amazing in my opinion, truly a masterpiece in film making. The opening scene w/ Deagol and Smeagol was awesome and it was really amazing how they showed his descent into madness. All the battle scenes were awesome and the scene w/ Legolas on the creature whose name eludes me now was one of the best action sequences i've ever seen in a film, ever. I loved the scene w/ Shelob as it was incredibly creepy and suspensful. I think Samwise gets my vote as the best character in ANY movie, ever. I think my favorite part was the Army of the Dead. They were pretty much EXACTLY how i pictured them. Eowyns battle w/ the Witchking was pretty awesome and every girl in our theater cheered when she said, "I am not a man!" I couldn't help but get giddy too as it was an awesome scene. The end scenes brought tears to my eyes as they were very moving and this is also the end, which is also very sad. I can't rave enough about this movie!!! A few things i'll be looking forward to on the EE:
The houses of healing scenes
Gandalf and his encounter with the Witchking (as it was in the trailer)
Some of the interaction w/ eowyn and Faramir

awesome movie!! I need to see it again, RIGHT NOW! cheers!! :D

Mandalorian Candidat
12-17-2003, 12:36 PM
On less than four hours sleep I somehow dragged myself to the lab this morning, so I might as well write up my impressions of this flick. I'm not much of a night owl (about midnight is the latest I'll stay up) but I didn't have one moment of feeling tired or fatigued during the screening. That's way more than I can say for the Hulk cause I snoozed during most of that one.

I'm going to put in a ton of spoilers here so skip on by if you haven't seen it yet or don't care...

My first impression of the movie was kind of split, like EP2. I disliked most of the first hour or so, but once the plot got going it was really enjoyable. There was a problem with the sound starting with the scene where Pippin sings to Denethor in Ecthelion making everyone sound like robots. That really turned me off, but by the time the Pelennor battle starts they fixed it. So maybe that biased that part of the movie for me. Legolas and Gimli are almost nonexistent (Gollum gets tons more screen time, but he disappears for about an hour after Shelob's Lair) and there is a good stretch where Aragorn is little more than a footnote as well. This was disappointing because I felt the movie should have been mostly him and Frodo/Sam since it is "Return of the King."

I thought the Frodo plotline was great and was pretty close to the book, however there is one great twist that I liked: Gollum turns Frodo totally against Sam and he gets sent home only later to find definitive proof of Gollum's treachery against them both. If you thought Gollum was a creep in TTT, he's nothing but a downright bastard in this one. PJ makes him into about the greatest villain I've ever seen in a movie. The fight with Shelob was fantastic, though the lair doesn't seem dark enough for Earendil's light to be much of a factor though it does help both Sam and Frodo somewhat. After the Shelob scenes that plotline pretty much sticks to the book up to the final confrontation with Gollum at the cracks of Doom. However, PJ took out the part where Sam and Frodo, disguised as orcs, get shanghai'd to join an orc platoon. So once they actually get into Mordor, there's no tension about getting caught except for a moment where the Eye almost spots them. But I guess the book is pretty similar in that regard.

I was really happy that the Smeagol/Deagol scene was included in Rotk; in fact as the opening of the movie. It's pretty straightforward as was described by Gandalf in the book, but there's several more minutes of Smeagol's transformation into Gollum. It's actually pretty creepy and, IMO, he looks more grotesque as a halfling-Gollum hybrid than Gollum's final appearance.

As for the battles...WOW. Just fantastic and epic as hell. Pelennor makes Helm's Deep look like high tea with the Queen. The catapult action is great where both Minas Tirith and the orcs get squashed. The Mumakil (oliphaunts) scenes are pretty spectacular, but do yourself a favor and don't watch ESB before going to see it because it seemed like a medieval version of the Battle of Hoth where the rebels knock over the AT-ATs. Even though Legolas gets lost in the action he has one great but totally unbelievable scene where he takes down a mumakil singlehandedly and pretty much walks away nonchalantly like it was no big deal. Plus the whole Witch-King of Angmar angle gets played out between Merry, Eowyn, and Theoden. Let me tell you it is really cool and Miranda Otto pulls it off just great. I hope we see more of her in US movies.

The climax was also great. There was no Mouth of Sauron but you can totally tell where it will appear in the DVD. (You know it has to happen because at the end Frodo has his elven cloak+broach back on that was taken at Cirith Ungol). Aragorn really does become a king at that battle instead of just a ranger at that point and PJ does a good job directing you to see it. Some might think the whole fall (literally) of Barad-Dur is kind of cliche, but I thought it worked as far as explaining how the good guys could get away from the outnumbering orcs.

There are also more scenes with Eomer that seem to have been cut. Nothing's really mentioned of him becoming King of Rohan and the preview scene of him crying over Theoden's corpse was cut out. Once Eowyn slays the Witch-King she's not mentioned and you only see her briefly at the end during Aragorn's coronation (the wedding's also out) standing next to Faramir kind of giving him goo-goo eyes. That's all that was shown of their "relationship" because the Houses of Healing scene(s) was removed. Also out was the scene with Sam and the Watchers at the door to the Tower of Cirith Ungol. I don't know if PJ shot anything about the wild mountain men of Gondor but there was no mention of them either.

I liked the ending. Of course there was no Scouring of the Shire -- everyone acted as if the four Hobbits had never left -- but they do show them at the Green Dragon and Sam getting married to Rosie Cotton. There's a pretty funny scene between the four of them and Mr. Proudfoot (Proudfeet!). Plus they show Bilbo getting hauled off to the Grey Havens (he looks literally older than dirt), though they don't look grey at all but more like a nice elven metropolis. There is an allusion that Sam can join them later on in his life, but he gets sent back to Rosie + 2 kids and it ends almost exactly like the book does.

There was much I liked and disliked but all in all it was a great flick. Compared with FotR...I dunno. I kind of still favor the first. Many of the effects look like they were rushed to get done and most of the daytime scenes in Minas Tirith look really grainy. WETA did such a great job in the first one and better-than-average in TTT, but I wonder if they had too much on their plate for this one. I hope they go back for the DVD and fix them up.

I think it'll get nominated for a Best Picture and PJ should get another nod, but will it win? No, or at least not unless the Academy feels PJ and Co. got gyped on the first two and want to make up for it.

Can't wait for the 4+ hour DVD, though. :)

kool-aid killer
12-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Im counting down the time, ive got six hours to go!!! Man o man i cant wait!!! Must calm down!!!

Pendo
12-17-2003, 02:37 PM
Just got back from seeing it, and knew NOTHING before I saw it, and WOW! :D What an amazing ending to an epic story. I can't really say whether I prefer it to the other two, because now I just think of all 3 films as one big movie!

The ending seemed to end about 5 times :rolleyes:. What I thought was the ending would move onto another scene, but I like how it tied up all the characters at the end, and a major shock to me that Frodo, Bilbo and Gandalf left at the end.

IMO the fight scenes didn't out-do the Helms Deep battle, but they were on par :).

One thing however, that I did not like, although probably not a problem with the movie but with Tolkein's writing, is that Frodo takes the ring for himself when he finally reaches Mount Doom. I know it makes the scene more exciting, and the threat that the ring might not be destroyed, but one thing I admired most about Frodo was his resilience to the ring's power, and then for him to suddenly give up at the end kinda squashed that :(.

Other than that I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, and now look even more forward to the Extended Edition :).

PENDO!

Mandalorian Candidat
12-17-2003, 02:49 PM
One thing however, that I did not like, although probably not a problem with the movie but with Tolkein's writing, is that Frodo takes the ring for himself when he finally reaches Mount Doom. I know it makes the scene more exciting, and the threat that the ring might not be destroyed, but one thing I admired most about Frodo was his resilience to the ring's power, and then for him to suddenly give up at the end kinda squashed that[/B]

If you read the book a lot of the material makes more sense. I suppose you can still get some feeling of it from the movie, but Frodo really takes it on the chin in the written version. He's so much in despair towards the end that he is pretty much broken. It's when Gollum shows up on Mount Doom to try to steal the ring before they enter the doorway to the cracks of Doom (hmmm, that would be a good collective nickname for plumbers) that Frodo freaks out and they have a kind of Smeagol vs. Deagol fight and this time Smeagol loses. That's what makes Frodo kind of snap and he just can't bring himself to chuck the ring. Just think if Boromir or Faramir or even Gandalf had taken it. They wouldn't have lasted as long as Frodo.

That whole ending sequence is pretty close to verbatim from the book so I found it really satisfying. It tied up the whole subplot brought up by Gandalf about Gollum having a part still to play for good or bad. So I guess you can say that Gollum saves the day. :crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-17-2003, 03:14 PM
On a side note, I am VERY happy they left out the Scouring of the Shire. I always hated that part in the book as it seemed just to drag on for the sake of it.

I also can't wait for Sarumans scenes on the EE DVD. cheers! :D

sicqnus
12-17-2003, 03:43 PM
Saw ROTK today : An amazing, epic movie. Peter Jackson made a true masterpiece !!!
3 hours and 12 minutes of joy and happiness.

Far, far above the last two Starwars...
Well what should I do now with my Ep1 and Ep2 DVDs ?
Maybe drop them to the garbage can...

derek
12-17-2003, 05:53 PM
i saw it this morning at 10:15 a.m. and really liked it. well most of it, but it was a very good third act.:)

stuff i didn't like:

1. i felt the smeagol backstory was kinda rushed. i would of liked to have seen more of smeagol's transformation, if smeagol hadn't killed deagol so quickly it would of been more believable. for smeagol to murder his cousin so quickly makes him out to be a homicidal maniac and makes the corrupting power of the ring less than it seemed.

2. the sauramon scenes should of been added in. i think it would of been fitting for gandalf to defeat/banish sauraman.

3. the scenes with farimir's father trying to kill himself and farimir would of been put on the extended DVD.

4. that tumor faced orc leader looked stupid. i would of replaced him with an orc more menacing and scarey looking.

5. how close is minis tirth to mordor? aragorn and friends sure got there quickly. :ermm:

6. when frodo put the ring on and gollum jumped on his back, that just looked stupid. gollum looked like he was riding an invisible pogo stick. i would of switched to the "invisible cam" we saw in the first film, and would of let the viewer see gollum and frodo fight while frodo was wearing the ring, and when gollum hit the lava, that was goofy looking. he should of burned up immediately, instead of floating on the lava.(is that what episode 3 has in store for us?)

7. i would of ended the film after aragorn was crowned king and put the other 5 endings on the DVD.

8. eowen cut thru that nasgul neck like it was butter, or she had a lightsaber. maybe just cutting it's throat would of been more realistic.

JON9000
12-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Good flick. Like everyone else, I wanted to see Gandalf break Saruman's staff. I also missed seeing Gandalf's showdown with the Witch-King. Oh well. Other than that, I have to say that these movies have been great. Most "event" movies are disappointments these days, and I doubt I will see another big budget film that delivers like this one.

I put my vote behind showing the scouring. It shows how the characters have grown over the course of the trilogy.

hango fett
12-17-2003, 08:40 PM
totally awsome movie. unbealivable special effects and plotline...the ending kinda dragged and went strwaight from fight to calm. everyone in my thearter kept waiting for it to end...but it didn't. people that it was over 3 times but everyone sat back down and watched. it waqs sad at the end to see froddo and gandalf go...but all in all i give it a 9.5 out of 10!
yaaaaay!
h

Jayspawn
12-18-2003, 12:23 AM
I just got back from seeing it a short time ago -unbelievable! Absolutly fantastic! The acting was incredible by all the actors. Everything is the story was well placed.

It would have been better if PJ left in all of Christopher Lee's scenes. I know every LORT fan was looking forward to seeing Gandalf cast Saruman from the order and Saruman's end in the Shire. Makes the DVD sound even better! Just another year away!

mrmiller
12-18-2003, 12:40 AM
Just got back from the movie, and it was simply amazing. I had huge expectations, and it surpased them. I'm kinda stunned how good it was. It lives up to the hype and you all must see it. Go see it now so we can talk about the fact it might be the best movie ever! The battle scenes blow everything else I've ever seen away. I think they were much better than TTT. The way the horses and riders reacted in battle was astounding. The story wraps it up perfect, the comedy sprinkled in is approperate, the characters development is finalized, everything about it was great. IMO it's the best of the series. I'm going to have to spend another 3 1/2 hours of my life and see it again real soon.

=MATT=

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-18-2003, 12:50 AM
I just got back from seeing it a short time ago -unbelievable! Absolutly fantastic! The acting was incredible by all the actors. Everything is the story was well placed.

It would have been better if PJ left in all of Christopher Lee's scenes. I know every LORT fan was looking forward to seeing Gandalf cast Saruman from the order and Saruman's end in the Shire. Makes the DVD sound even better! Just another year away!

Uh, Jayspawn, hate to burst your bubble my fellow fan, but PJ left out the Scouring of the Shire, so Saruman & Grima's fate occures at Isengard. Head over the the One Ring.net and browse around if you want more spoiler action.

dr_evazan22
12-18-2003, 01:26 AM
I could not believe how good that movie was! Excellent! I think it deserves Best Pic at the Oscars.

I liked seeing Merry and Eowyn take on the Witch King and defeat him. After the WK was killed and Eowyn went over to Theoden, did any of you have a flash of Luke and Anakin in ROTJ?

I did think the end dragged on a little bit, but the final scene of Sam going home to his wife and kids was very warm.

What supposedly happens to people who make the voyage with the Elves?

aceguide
12-18-2003, 10:01 AM
I am very pleased that I did not try to wait it out. What an incredible movie. Second on best pic - Jackson should take all of the hardware this year...

Mandalorian Candidat
12-18-2003, 10:59 AM
What supposedly happens to people who make the voyage with the Elves?

I believe Valinor, a.k.a. the undying lands, is supposed to be an elven "heaven." Therefore those who are invited to go along with the elves will have some kind of eternal life in paradise. Frodo pretty much has to go along because the burden of the ring and the Morgul wound he receives makes his life, even in the Shire, unbearable.

when frodo put the ring on and gollum jumped on his back, that just looked stupid. gollum looked like he was riding an invisible pogo stick. i would of switched to the "invisible cam" we saw in the first film, and would of let the viewer see gollum and frodo fight while frodo was wearing the ring, and when gollum hit the lava, that was goofy looking. he should of burned up immediately, instead of floating on the lava.(is that what episode 3 has in store for us?)

Yeah, I thought the same thing. While it was nice to see events played out verbatim from the book, the CG of Gollum on invisible Frodo looked totally phony. I still think WETA didn't have enough time to do all the CG the right way before the release.

kool-aid killer
12-18-2003, 12:37 PM
I caught it last night at seven and was very pleased with it. My only complaint being that Frodo looked horrible going through the entrance of Mt. Doom. I loved when Eomer nailed the Haradrim "leader" with his spear and the effect it had on his Oliphant. A good movie, the end did drag on a bit but wasnt anything bad in my opinion. Cant wait for Saturday (im going to see it again) to pick up even more of the story.

Did anybody else notice the similarities between Sloth from the Goonies and the Orc leader?

JON9000
12-18-2003, 01:24 PM
I wanted the Saruman scenes in the movie. I think they would have fit especially well in TT, but oh well. Actually, I think in retrospect, PJ wishes he had stuck them at the end of TT as well. Would have made for a nice resolution at the end.

This business about Lee finding out through a website is shameful.
http://www.imdb.com/PeopleNews/#1

Turambar
12-18-2003, 03:07 PM
I guess my expectations were too high for the movie. I understand a lot of the problems were time issues, but some things that would have improved the movie without adding any extra time were absent for no good reason. Also, I thought the first part of the movie was very distorted from the book.

The one good thing I'll say is the ride of Rohan and Eowyn's showdown were awesome -- just as dramatic as the book! I probably won't see it again, though.

Beast
12-18-2003, 06:23 PM
Wow, the movie is 'hot, hot, hot'. I saw it myself today, and thought it was great. Ever since I heard that it was being made, I put off reading the books. Now that I've seen all three of them, I'll have to actually start reading the books. But look at the box office returns for just the opening day. :D

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The debut of Time Warner Inc.'s "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" set box office records for the best Wednesday and the best single-day December sales, putting it on course to break the records of its two predecessors.

The final Lord of the Rings film did a record $34.1 million in U.S. box office Wednesday.
New Line Cinema, the Time Warner studio that has released the three legs of the trilogy each December since 2001, said the film had domestic box office sales of $34.1 million Wednesday, on about 3,650 screens.

About $8 million of that came from 2,100 screens that held midnight showings in the early hours of Wednesday, capturing fans who couldn't wait to see the final chapter of the series.

The record for best Wednesday box office sales was previously held by "Star Wars, Episode I: The Phantom Menace," which took in $28.5 million in its first day in theaters in May 1999.

The record for best single day box office sales in December was previously held by the second film in the Lord of the Rings series, "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," which took in $26.1 million on its Wednesday debut last December. The film also did $62 million in its first weekend in theaters, which still stands as the record opening December weekend.

Box office opening records compare only the Friday through Sunday sales. For its five-day opening the film did $102 million.

The second best December opening was the first movie in the series, "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," which did $18.1 million on its Wednesday opening, and $47.2 million during its opening weekend, for a five-day total of $75.1 million.

Those two films together did worldwide box office of $1.8 billion, ranking them No. 7 and No. 4 in total box office of all time. Some box office forecasters believe the third film could become only the second film, after Titantic, to cross the $1 billion worldwide box office threshold, especially if it captures the Academy Award for best picture next spring.

Shares of Time Warner (TWX: Research, Estimates), which also owns CNN/Money, were slightly slightly higher in midday trading Thursday.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Bosskman
12-18-2003, 08:19 PM
I saw it last night and it was awesome. It completely exceeded my expectations, and can't wait for the extended version.(you can totally see how the deleted scenes will fit in to the movie)
Some of my favorite parts were:

-how the bad guys were actually "evil". I'm not talking cool evil like darth vader, but Evil evil, as in at times disturbing. Peter Jackson never held back in that respect.
-minas morgul
-"because it's my birthday and I wants it"
- showdown with the the witch king
- "that only counts as one"
-the lighting of the beacons
-the ride of the rohirrim
-the mumakil
- Gandalf and pippin's entry into minas tirith
- old bilbo
- GROND (AWESOME. AWESOME, AWESOME) ...and scary
- "release the prisoners" (never thought they'd put that one in there
- faramir's return from that chrage to osgiliath (brought tears to my eyes)
- Arwen reciting that poem from the book about the sword that was broken
that's all I can think of now, must see again

plo koon 200
12-18-2003, 08:59 PM
Wow, the movie is 'hot, hot, hot'. I saw it myself today, and thought it was great. Ever since I heard that it was being made, I put off reading the books. Now that I've seen all three of them, I'll have to actually start reading the books. But look at the box office returns for just the opening day. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
It is time to start building the wagon for EIII. Come on guys lets get us a $50 million Wednesday opening. I know it can happen. Now is the time to start preparing all of us for it.

plo koon 200
12-18-2003, 09:00 PM
PS My pic for Best Pic goes to The Last Samurai. It was beautifully done. I will be surprised if ROTK wins the Academy Award. However I think it would be a good thing if it did because if it does not we can count on never seeing a Fantasy or sci-fi pic ever, ever win Best pic.

Turbowars
12-18-2003, 09:46 PM
I loved it. I'm one that never read the books, so had no clue what happened in the end and am very happy that it had a happy ending. They had us a few times with the ending though. Is it over? Is it over now? Man it's over, I want more. The first time a sat for 3 1/2 hours and didn't even think about time. I kind of wish I would have coolected the toys, but the boxes turned me off. No room for another obsession.;)

dr_evazan22
12-18-2003, 11:29 PM
I kind of wish I would have coolected the toys, but the boxes turned me off. No room for another obsession.

I've been seeing some of the figs in the stores and REALLY wanting to buy them - Eowyn in armor, SAm And Frodo in Orc armor, a couple Aragorn's and Legolas' - the attention to costume details were great.

I kind of wish I would have coolected the toys, but the boxes turned me off. No room for another obsession.

I too have been putting off the books for the last 2 years. I had been hearing "this and that were left out" or were in a different movie. Looking forward to reading them.

Beast
12-18-2003, 11:38 PM
The only thing that put me off from buying the toys, was all the damn short packing and chase bologny they pulled with the series. Twilight Frodo, etc. So I'm really glad I never got into collecting them. Not to mention the one figure I did want, 'Saruman the White', was painted so he looked like 'Saruman the Off-White and Tan'. :p :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jedihunter25
12-19-2003, 12:13 AM
I too would like to buy the LOTR toys, but I hardly have no room for all my SW. I'm in BIG TROUBLE when EP3 comes out. In fact, when I have enough saved up to start looking a house, I'll have to get two extra rooms and nock down a wall to combine the two rooms into one for my SW. And unfortunately, they build houses out here in Vegas with no basements.
I did ended up getting the $20 Gollum that has 20 phases (and the Fish song) from the movie for my girlfriend for Christmas. And if Master Replicas didn't eat up my credit cards, I'd get the cool props that's in the small booklet that comes with the Two Towers DVD ( www.noblecollection.com ). They have many different props of the Ring, Goblets, the Staff of Gandalf the Gray, Swords, and Gimli's Axe. I also wouldn't mind getting the lifesize Gollum, but I already have the Ep1 lifesize Yoda from Pepsi and a R2-D2 Pepsi Cooler sitting in my living room because there's no room anywhere else to put them.

Phantom-like Menace
12-19-2003, 01:29 PM
I watched the movie Wednesday and 12:30 in the afternoon, and loved it, though I'm not sure I didn't like the second movie better. I'll have to decide when I watch it without a troupe of little kids kicking my chair, talking and--whether they know it or not--having a near death experience.

The first comment I've made about the movie is that Minas Tirith is just awesome! I've been really fond of the architecture in this version of Middle Earth, but this city is truly wonderful, fit for kings as it should be.

There were some parts I would have liked to have seen: of course the breaking of Saruman's staff; I would have liked to have seen the men of Dol Amroth under Imrahil; by the same thinking, it would have been nice to see the Rangers, Elladan, and Elrohir (instead of Elrond, they would have been more obvious candidates for bringing Aragorn Andúril, as long as the movies declined to have him pick up the sword in Rivendell); and it would have been nice if the movie mentioned that Denethor was being driven mad by the fact that he was Sauron's palantír pal (for those of you who didn't read the books, Denethor thought himself strong enough to look into the palantír of Minas Tirith, and Sauron used his own palantír to warp Denethor's mind).

A random observation: how would you like to be one of the guys employed by Rohan or Gondor to babysit the beacons? They were last used how many centuries ago?

One nitpicking complaint: I really hated how close they put Minas Tirith to Osgiliath. Minas Tirith is somewhere around twenty miles from Osgiliath, and in the movie it looked like you could throw a Hobbit from one to the other. My friend and I figure they just merged the wall around the Pelennor Fields and Minas Tirith into one structure for some reason.

One final thought: The Riders of Rohan rock! When they plowed through the opposing forces, they all became my heroes.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-19-2003, 04:20 PM
One nitpicking complaint: I really hated how close they put Minas Tirith to Osgiliath. Minas Tirith is somewhere around twenty miles from Osgiliath, and in the movie it looked like you could throw a Hobbit from one to the other. My friend and I figure they just merged the wall around the Pelennor Fields and Minas Tirith into one structure for some reason.

I bet they took out the wall because it would either be too confusing or would eat up more screen time explaining it use, showing a fight scene trying to defend it, etc. As far as the whole distance thing, to me it also seemed way to close. I look at it this way, however. The emphasis on holding Osgiliath was really pushed in RotK and to a lesser extent in TTT (also in the EE). Osgiliath took the place of the Pelennor Field wall as being the buffer between the invading Orcs and Minas Tirith. With it being so close to MT, the fall of Osgiliath shows that it was the last line of defense except for the city wall.

kool-aid killer
12-19-2003, 07:34 PM
I wish they would have made the warriors of Gondor look like better fighters. It seemed like they were all being creamed by Orcs, Wargs, rocks, Fell Beast, and Trolls without taking anybody out. Yes the men of Rohan did look awesome plowing through the Orc ranks. I felt for them too when they went after the Oliphants and seeing them and their horses get trampled,impaled, or thrown around. I wish we would have seen Easterlings fight, hopefully that will appear on the EE. Overall an awesome movie with many parts worthy of multiple trips to the cinema.

Turambar
12-20-2003, 02:00 PM
PS My pic for Best Pic goes to The Last Samurai. It was beautifully done. I will be surprised if ROTK wins the Academy Award. However I think it would be a good thing if it did because if it does not we can count on never seeing a Fantasy or sci-fi pic ever, ever win Best pic.

I agree with you there. I think I did enjoy the Last Samurai more than ROTK. To be fair, though, I probably would have liked the return of the king a lot more had I not read the books so many times. To take creative liberties with something that was already perfect just doesn't work. Oh well, I'm glad so many people enjoyed it.

Tonysmo
12-21-2003, 02:57 AM
Loved it. Awesomeness.. Best and worst time ever.. Front row - sucked. lady with her baby.. at least he was semi quiet. The kids behind me kicking the seat. GAH! hate.. theaters...

BUT. That movie soooo rocked. I couldnt find too much to dislike about it.

I did think Star Wars as well. Twice. Aarogon says to Gandalf "What does your heart tell you?" and then again as stated before after the defeat of the witch king, shes sitting with Theoden.. " you already have "..

didnt want to think SW.. but with those lines, it was hard not too..

all in all, One of the top battles Ive ever seen on film.

where do they rank?
opening of Saving Private Ryan
braveheart
the two towers
EPII and ESB..

and now ROTK..
the newest most epic-est battle ever!!

scruffziller
12-21-2003, 07:01 PM
Did anybody else notice the similarities between Sloth from the Goonies and the Orc leader?YEAH DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right back atch ya!!!!!!!!!!:D
That was the first thing I was going to post. MEEKY AND SLOTH back together again!!!!!:p

A most excellent piece of cinema mastery to say the least. I liked how the battles were slowed down so you could savor the visuals better versus TTT.
In TTT it was almost a blur trying to take in the awesomeness of the battles.

I have never seen so many people get up and go outside and then come back in any movie I have ever been to.

Forget the charachter's name but the King of Rohan, the actor, didn't he play a Cardassian on Star Trek DS9?

bigbarada
12-21-2003, 10:04 PM
I saw ROTK for the second time last night. Quite simply, words cannot express how much I loved this movie. For the better part of 2003 I was trying my best to keep my expectations in check so I would not be disappointed by ROTK; but in the end I just gave in and ended up going into the theater with the highest of expectations... and three-and-a-half hours later I realized that I had totally underestimated how awesome this movie would be. There were some scenes from the book that I noticed were missing, (primarily the Mouth of Sauron) but I don't think the movie really needed them. In any case we'll see the truly essential ones in the DVD:EE (even when I first read the books, I always thought that the Scouring of the Shire segment was totally unnecessary and should be cut from any film version).

This is quite simply the greatest installment of the greatest movie saga of all time! You heard me right, LOTR has completely replaced Star Wars as the greatest series of movies in my opinion. I could care less if any Star Wars film ever beats out ROTK's opening night records. I think the torch has been passed and the true lord of the movie franchises has been revealed.... congratulations Peter Jackson!

So who wants to start a petition for PJ to make The Hobbit before the two Ians get too old? :cool:

Turbowars
12-21-2003, 10:16 PM
It was great, but not great enought to over take the OT IHO. I was thinking about the Hobbit and I think it would too boring compared to the other 3. I remember the story as a kid and don't recall any battles. It's just seems as if it should have come out before the other 3. I'm not a n expert about LOTR, so I might be wrong.

bigbarada
12-22-2003, 12:14 AM
It was great, but not great enought to over take the OT IHO. I was thinking about the Hobbit and I think it would too boring compared to the other 3. I remember the story as a kid and don't recall any battles. It's just seems as if it should have come out before the other 3. I'm not a n expert about LOTR, so I might be wrong.

I guess I am just comparing my "OMG that was awesome!" reaction to ROTK to my "that was it?" reaction to ROTJ.

The real test will be one year from now when the newness of ROTK has worn off and I have seen it about a million times on DVD.

About The Hobbit, I think it would make a really cool film. Especially the "Battle of the Five Armies" at the end. Not to mention the dragon, Smaug, decimating the river town. Then there's Bilbo's battle with the giant spiders and the introduction of Gollum and the Ring. Boring? I think not. :p

Unfortunately, while Peter Jackson wants to adapt the book into a film, there are some silly legal issues that prevent him from doing so at this time. I just think it would be a shame for some other studio to make the film when WETA already has such a convincing Gollum.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-22-2003, 12:41 AM
I guess I am just comparing my "OMG that was awesome!" reaction to ROTK to my "that was it?" reaction to ROTJ.

The real test will be one year from now when the newness of ROTK has worn off and I have seen it about a million times on DVD.

About The Hobbit, I think it would make a really cool film. Especially the "Battle of the Five Armies" at the end. Not to mention the dragon, Smaug, decimating the river town. Then there's Bilbo's battle with the giant spiders and the introduction of Gollum and the Ring. Boring? I think not. :p

Unfortunately, while Peter Jackson wants to adapt the book into a film, there are some silly legal issues that prevent him from doing so at this time. I just think it would be a shame for some other studio to make the film when WETA already has such a convincing Gollum.

Don't fret, BB, i think if New Line knows what's good for them, they will do all in their power to keep the same team involved with any sort of "hobbit" live action film. I for one wouldn't even bother if the same actors were in it as it would be pretty goofy and hard for the audience to swallow. I think in the next few months, we'll see all the legal issues cleared up w/ PJ at the helm and New Line seeking cast/crew from the LOTR films. :D

P.S.- i'd love to see Mirkwood on the big screen.

Turbowars
12-22-2003, 12:51 AM

Unfortunately, while Peter Jackson wants to adapt the book into a film, there are some silly legal issues that prevent him from doing so at this time. I just think it would be a shame for some other studio to make the film when WETA already has such a convincing Gollum.Oh cool, so there is battles to be fought? What are the legal issues about?

bigbarada
12-22-2003, 01:19 AM
Oh cool, so there is battles to be fought? What are the legal issues about?

I don't know what the exact nature of the legal issues are, I just read some interview somewhere where PJ said he really wanted to complete the series with The Hobbit; but was blocked by legal mumbo-jumbo. Thus, he is moving on and remaking King Kong. With ROTK breaking box-office records this weekend, I think any studio would be stupid to try and make The Hobbit without Peter Jackson and WETA. But that's just my opinion.

I hope Jedi_Master_Guyute is right and all those legal barriers just melt away soon so WETA can get busy making this movie. Most of the concept work is already done including the hardest part of all - Gollum. There's no reason why we can't see this movie made within the next couple of years.

scruffziller
12-22-2003, 03:46 AM
I don't know what the exact nature of the legal issues are, I just read some interview somewhere where PJ said he really wanted to complete the series with The Hobbit; but was blocked by legal mumbo-jumbo. Thus, he is moving on and remaking King Kong. With ROTK breaking box-office records this weekend, I think any studio would be stupid to try and make The Hobbit without Peter Jackson and WETA. But that's just my opinion.

I hope Jedi_Master_Guyute is right and all those legal barriers just melt away soon so WETA can get busy making this movie. Most of the concept work is already done including the hardest part of all - Gollum. There's no reason why we can't see this movie made within the next couple of years.
I read in the paper that Tolkien's son is mucking things up with if he should give up the rights to The Hobbit.

Pendo
12-22-2003, 05:59 AM
Just read a Peter Jackson quote from here (http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=2911&n=1&burl=). Not sure if it's true, but my mouth is watering!!!!!

I can assure you that the DVD version of Return of the King will be longer than 4 hours and 50 min.
PENDO!

kool-aid killer
12-22-2003, 11:14 AM
Pendo, it will certainly be an awesome DVD. Almost five hours! Hopefully the battles are expanded (well at least show Easterlings fighting) but it gives me something to look forward to.

Now i heard that PJ was going to make the Hobbit after King Kong. I dont know how true that is but i do see it happening. Hopefully it will be only one movie long, i dont think i could bear waiting another year for the conclusion.

bigbarada
12-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Well, I just remembered where I read the stuff about a possible Hobbit film. It was in the December 13-19 issue of TV Guide. The quote goes like this:

The journey is not completely over yet. There's still the special extended-edition DVD of "The Return of the King" to come. It will include, among other things, Christopher Lee's Saruman, who was cut from the film. And there's always the possibility of adapting the Tolkien novel that preceded the trilogy, The Hobbit, which first introduced readers to the world of Middle-earth. Jackson says there are legal complications involving the rights to The Hobbit, but he'd "certainly be keen [to direct it]. I'd feel pretty weird if someone else was doing it."

I do think the "legal complications" have to do with Tolkien's surviving family, who have never approved of Peter Jackson making ANY movies based on their father's work.

scruffziller
12-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Just read a Peter Jackson quote from here (http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=2911&n=1&burl=). Not sure if it's true, but my mouth is watering!!!!!

PENDO!
If that is the case the EE itself will probably be longer than 4 discs.:crazed:

I'm sad now that my holidays won't be as complete without a Tolkien story to season them now that the triliogy is complete.:cry: We need more Tolkien Jr.!!!!!
We need a Sauron origin trilogy!!!!!

Mandalorian Candidat
12-22-2003, 04:57 PM
A most excellent piece of cinema mastery to say the least. I liked how the battles were slowed down so you could savor the visuals better versus TTT. In TTT it was almost a blur trying to take in the awesomeness of the battles.

Man, I thought just the opposite. It seemed like there were so many scenes, like the ambush scene in Osgiliath with Faramir, where the action was so fierce that everything was one dark blur. Maybe it was more difficult to see because I was at the bottom of the stadium seating, but much of it went by way to fast for me.

Forget the charachter's name but the King of Rohan, the actor, didn't he play a Cardassian on Star Trek DS9?

The guy's name is Bernard Hill. I don't think he was in DS9, but I was watching Titanic last night on NBC and realized that he was the ship's captain. I like the way he died better in RotK than in Titanic.

ThomasLane
12-22-2003, 04:58 PM
I do think the "legal complications" have to do with Tolkien's surviving family, who have never approved of Peter Jackson making ANY movies based on their father's work.

There has already been a "Hobbit" movie (the Rankin-Bass cartoon), so unless the Tolkien family has managed to purchase the rights back, it's just a matter of time and money. My guess is that the current owners are not going to let the rights go cheaply (too bad Newline didn't purchase the rights 5 years ago), and Newline is not in any hurry, since PJ is going to be very a very busy man for the next couple of years.

bigbarada
12-22-2003, 05:04 PM
There has already been a "Hobbit" movie (the Rankin-Bass cartoon), so unless the Tolkien family has managed to purchase the rights back, it's just a matter of time and money. My guess is that the current owners are not going to let the rights go cheaply (too bad Newline didn't purchase the rights 5 years ago), and Newline is not in any hurry, since PJ is going to be very a very busy man for the next couple of years.

I just watched that cartoon last night and I totally forgot about it! :o

I guess greed over the sudden popularity of LOTR could be a major reason why whoever is holding The Hobbit liscense is not letting go. But of course this is all speculation, I have no idea what the real facts are in this situation. So maybe I should quit while I'm ahead and stop embarrassing myself.

I do know that many of the actors involved in LOTR are really excited about the idea of a 'prequel.'

JediTricks
12-27-2003, 02:29 AM
I finally saw ROTK yesterday (foolish mistake, underestimated the amount of people willing to see a 2-week-old movie on Christmas day at the afternoon show in pouring rain at an independent theater with no cover for the line outside - so our seats were less than ideal, though luckily the Vista took out every other row of seats a few years back so there is 6 feet of legroom per person) and while I found it good, I didn't feel it came anywhere near FOTR or TTT. Basically, it came down to a lack of intimacy that the first - and to a lesser degree - second films had; a lack of the teamwork in battle that the first 2 had; the CG effects standing out more; a final scene for Saruman; battle overkill; and multiple endings. I don't know how much of that was the fault of the author and how much was PJ's, but it still felt like a very long but shallow movie. I have heard that PJ couldn't decide on which ending to end on, so he included them all - if so, I think that was a huge mistake, if you're gonna make a separate cut for the masses, end it that way too.

Turbowars
12-27-2003, 12:55 PM
Totaly disagree. Though it's not my favorite trilogy, it was a great film and it ended perfectly. We know what happened to each and every important charactor and it ended happy ever after. I think it was the threater you saw it in and the condtion of the day. Sitting in a nice new seat in the new Burbank 16 was a joy. I didn't think for a second it was too long and never once looked at the time. Sorry you didn't enjoy it like like I did JT.;)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-28-2003, 11:40 PM
Hey, i saw this and knew I had to post it. It's Lord of the Rings: The breakfast club style!! Enjoy!!

the last scene in "lord of the breakfast club"

39. RIVENDELL - DAY
Gimli and Legolas kiss, Legolas rips a patch off Gimli's cloak and climbs upon his horse to ride away. We see Frodo take off a diamond earring and put it into Sam's hand. They kiss and Frodo climbs aboard the sleek white swan ship, which sails into the sunset. We see Sam put the diamond earring in his ear.

CUT TO:

40. INT. MORDOR - DAY

We see Sauron pick up a scroll and begin to read.

FRODO (VO)
Dear Sauron, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice thirteen months of our lives marching across Middle Earth to defeat you. But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us... In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions.

CUT TO:

41. EXT. RIVENDELL - DAY

We see Sam walking towards us as Frodo's monologue continues.

FRODO (VO)
(CONT'D)
But what we found out is that each one of us is a hobbit...

ARAGORN (VO)
...and a ranger...

GIMLI (VO)
...and a dwarf...

LEGOLAS (VO)
...and an elf...

GANDALF (VO)
...and a wizard...

FRODO (VO)
Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, the Fellowship of the Ring.

We see Sam walking across an open field outside Rivendell as he thrusts his fist into the air in a silent cheer and freezes there.

The strains of "Don't You Forget About Me (Elvish Remix)" swell as enya's voice is joined by a children's choir and lots of pipes and flutes and fiddles and drum loops provided by Moby.

I laughed my silly arse off; hope you guys enjoy it! :D

JediTricks
12-29-2003, 12:39 AM
I'm not stupid Turbo, I know when a theater is the reason I'm not enjoying a movie. The Vista has nice seats with more legroom than any other traditional theater probably in the world. You have your tastes and I have mine, I didn't suggest that you find it to be a perfect ending simply because you had nice seats or were hoping for it, so why treat me as if I'm a mush-brained idiot who can't make up his mind based on the real evidence instead of the surrounding experience?

Very cute JMG. :D

Turbowars
12-29-2003, 09:21 PM
I'm not stupid Turbo, I know when a theater is the reason I'm not enjoying a movie. The Vista has nice seats with more legroom than any other traditional theater probably in the world. You have your tastes and I have mine, I didn't suggest that you find it to be a perfect ending simply because you had nice seats or were hoping for it, so why treat me as if I'm a mush-brained idiot who can't make up his mind based on the real evidence instead of the surrounding experience?

Very cute JMG. :DDude, what's your problem? I didn't mean anything by what I said, but with a reply such as that, I guess I will treat you as such.:rolleyes:

[DSS]Pedr0
12-29-2003, 10:05 PM

Very cute JMG. :D
Bug up butt?? :confused:

stillakid
12-29-2003, 10:22 PM
Hey, i saw this and knew I had to post it. It's Lord of the Rings: The breakfast club style!! Enjoy!!

the last scene in "lord of the breakfast club"

39. RIVENDELL - DAY
Gimli and Legolas kiss, Legolas rips a patch off Gimli's cloak and climbs upon his horse to ride away. We see Frodo take off a diamond earring and put it into Sam's hand. They kiss and Frodo climbs aboard the sleek white swan ship, which sails into the sunset. We see Sam put the diamond earring in his ear.

CUT TO:

40. INT. MORDOR - DAY

We see Sauron pick up a scroll and begin to read.

FRODO (VO)
Dear Sauron, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice thirteen months of our lives marching across Middle Earth to defeat you. But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us... In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions.

CUT TO:

41. EXT. RIVENDELL - DAY

We see Sam walking towards us as Frodo's monologue continues.

FRODO (VO)
(CONT'D)
But what we found out is that each one of us is a hobbit...

ARAGORN (VO)
...and a ranger...

GIMLI (VO)
...and a dwarf...

LEGOLAS (VO)
...and an elf...

GANDALF (VO)
...and a wizard...

FRODO (VO)
Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, the Fellowship of the Ring.

We see Sam walking across an open field outside Rivendell as he thrusts his fist into the air in a silent cheer and freezes there.

The strains of "Don't You Forget About Me (Elvish Remix)" swell as enya's voice is joined by a children's choir and lots of pipes and flutes and fiddles and drum loops provided by Moby.

I laughed my silly arse off; hope you guys enjoy it! :D

I haven't seen the film yet (because, as JT sees the third film, I see the others...flat and shallow), but now when I do, I'll be thinking of this. :) Thanks!

Don't you...forget about me... :smoker:

Turbowars
12-29-2003, 11:17 PM
Pedr0']Bug up butt?? :confused:Yeah, did anyone else think I was out of line? The more I read what I said, the more I can't believe you went off like that JT.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-30-2003, 12:10 AM
I wouldn't put much thought into it, my dear Turbowars. Perhaps JT thought since you implied that he didn't like the movie simply due to the surroundings, it made his opinion invalid or maybe even wrong or stupid.

While your idea has validty (i remember seeing "Batman Forever" in the 1st row and i LOAHTED the movie only to like it later on when i was able to see it properly) i think maybe he took it as an insult or something.

His reply was somewhat out of line and improper though; maybe the Vice Chancellor should set an example for we younglings!! :D

JediTricks
12-31-2003, 01:24 AM
Hey, he singled me out, claimed my opinion was based solely on the viewing conditions. I try not to let others do that on these forums, and just because I'm the head moderator doesn't mean I have to let others do that with my opinions. It's rude and insulting no matter who it's directed at. And it's not like I called him names or insulted him once with what I said, I responded to what he said and asked him why felt the need to say what he did about my opinion - I don't see how that's out of line. If anybody feels differently or feels it reflects on my moderating, go ahead and post in the Comments/Suggestions section or email SirSteve.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-31-2003, 11:22 AM
Hey, he singled me out, claimed my opinion was based solely on the viewing conditions. I try not to let others do that on these forums, and just because I'm the head moderator doesn't mean I have to let others do that with my opinions. It's rude and insulting no matter who it's directed at. And it's not like I called him names or insulted him once with what I said, I responded to what he said and asked him why felt the need to say what he did about my opinion - I don't see how that's out of line. If anybody feels differently or feels it reflects on my moderating, go ahead and post in the Comments/Suggestions section or email SirSteve.

Hey JT, I think maybe you are being a little touchy on this one. I took Turbowars reply to your post as more of a suggestion that perhaps because the movie was crowded, it was rainy, and you implied that you had to wait outside in the rain that maybe your mood was less than...happy and if you saw it under better circumstances your opinion would be different.

I didn't see one iota of insult in his post. In fact he says in the last line that he's sorry you didn't like it as much as he did.

Turbowars
12-31-2003, 06:50 PM
Hey JT, I think maybe you are being a little touchy on this one. I took Turbowars reply to your post as more of a suggestion that perhaps because the movie was crowded, it was rainy, and you implied that you had to wait outside in the rain that maybe your mood was less than...happy and if you saw it under better circumstances your opinion would be different.

I didn't see one iota of insult in his post. In fact he says in the last line that he's sorry you didn't like it as much as he did.Hey MC, thanks for being on myside and explaining my reply, because that's exactly what I was saying, nothing more.

JediTricks
01-01-2004, 08:58 PM
Actually, I didn't say anything of the sort, I didn't wait in the pouring rain, we showed up only a few minutes before showtime and the line was already letting in just as the rain started letting up. What I said was that I underestimated the amount of people who WERE willing to wait in line in the rain on Christmas day at my local independent theater for a movie that had been out for over a week. My mood was happy that day, we found close parking, had a great family christmas the night before, I was expecting to see a film I had wanted to see in the theater I most wanted to see it at... I was happy to be there even if it wasn't in the center of the theater.

I didn't see one iota of insult in his post. In fact he says in the last line that he's sorry you didn't like it as much as he did.I didn't say Turbo insulted me, I was saying that he seemed to be treating my opinion as if I was so gullible and susceptible to outside influence that my comments were only based on environment; and then everybody turned this into a big deal.

2-1B
01-02-2004, 02:20 AM
I thought Turby's post was lame because JT made a freaking LIST of what he didn't like about the film and then indeed those items were disgarded by Turbs who somehow made the connection that had JT viewed the movie in a better condition, those very precise criticisms would have evaporated. So I don't blame JT for taking offense as it is pretty offensive to dismiss another's opinions like that.

Myself, I loved the movie and thought it was very well done. JT I agree with you on the CG, personally I thought MOST of it was very good but yeah it sticks out. LOTR gets so much praise while SW is dumped on for their CG. Sure, SW CG is fake looking . . . because it is fake . . . but they blend it with fake backgrounds and such while LOTR blends it with more realistic backgrounds: so I think it sticks out more in LOTR. :)

I disagree however about Saruman, going in to the film I was pretty bummed that they cut him but after leaving the theater I didn't really mind his absence like I expected to.

Either way, this movie will definitely get better with the EE cut.

Damnit, am I the only person on Earth (or middle-earth for that matter) who HATES Gollum? Of course I hate the character because he's so damn annoying, but how anyone can trumpet this POS as looking anywhere realistic is beyond me. Delusional. This is one of the fakest CGI creatures I have ever seen, period. And it's made even worse in ROTK because the Serkis-in-makeup Gollum shots are sweet as hell and I think it makes the CG Gollum stick out even more.

Anyway having never read the books due to a lack of interest, ever since TTT I figured I had to give the little prick a break because he'll come through at the end and help the heroes. Nope, all he did was continue to get in the way. I feel a sort of vindication for my hatred of him in TTT and my strong desire that he be killed by the hobbits when he first bothered them.

One more thought on the CGI of this movie, I thought the Nasuls were INCREDIBLY well done, the elephant creatures were great, but I really was not impressed by Shelob. Way too fake . . . but not as bad as Gollum.

:)

JEDIpartner
01-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Uh oh... I just saw this yesterday afternoon. Maybe I shouldn't post anything here, but here I go:

I thought the last one was better than ROTK but it definitely was miles above FOTR. That one was a snooze. I thought some of the effects were a bit dodgy. A bit of the CG looked more fakey than the CG in the previous two. That was a little distracting. At least with the SW films, the CG is all CG looking... LOL The other truly annoying convention that was overused was the slow motion shots. They just littered the film. There wasn't as much slow motion in the last two and it really stood out as "we don't know what to do here. Maybe slow motion will make this look more dramatic or something." Yeah.

I also hated the way the movie tried to end, like, seven times. Rescue... and fade to black. Frodo wakes up and the cast appears... and fade to black. Aragorn becomes king... and fade to black. The Hobbits go back to the shire... and fade to black. Hobbits at the pub... and fade to black. Sam gets married... and fade to black. Frodo completes the book... and fade to black. The Hobbits leave the shire... and fade to black. Frodo and Bilbo get on the boat... and fade to black that's the end thank GOD I can finally pee!

It was a good film and a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy (but what if Jackson does make "The Hobbit"?). I was a little dismayed at how much the editor Rubik's cubed the original plotline of the story but it all came out fine in the wash.

p.s. - I thought the Gollum was REALLY fakey.

QLD
01-02-2004, 05:24 PM
I saw the movie on Christmas, and LOVED it. In fact, I can think nothing of it.

I'll keep it fairly short...

1. The SFX on Gollum, are better than anything I have seen in the SW Prequels. In fact, all of the SFX in this movie are much, much better than anything G. Lu showed me in the prequels.

2. The music always sets a perfect mood for whatever is happening in the film.

3. Sean Astin has been amazing as Sam in this film series.

4. I have heard that the extended version will be close to 5 hours!

5. I loved the ending, and am VERY glad it was as long as it was.

6. LOTR will never have the childhood memories that SW does for me....but I have to say, as a whole, the LOTR trilogy BLOWS AWAY the SW prequels, and, as much as I hate to say it, is pretty much better than SW as a whole 5 movie series, in my opinion. But I am not sure I would say that if not for the last 2 incarnations of it.

Anyway, enough prequel bashing from me, here's hoping ROTK gets the Oscar it deserves.

stillakid
01-02-2004, 06:07 PM
I keep thinking about going, and then realize that I have better ways to spend 3 and half hours of my life right now. The fear of having to go to the loo in the middle is a good reason to stay away as well. I'll just wait for the Super Nifty Director's Extended Everything's Added Now Final Cut so that I am privy to all the plot and character development that was so obviously missing from the first two of these behemoths. Plus, then I'll be able to hit "PAUSE" and go get a sandwich. :)

[DSS]Pedr0
01-02-2004, 06:30 PM
I saw the movie on Christmas, and LOVED it. In fact, I can think nothing of it.

I'll keep it fairly short...

1. The SFX on Gollum, are better than anything I have seen in the SW Prequels. In fact, all of the SFX in this movie are much, much better than anything G. Lu showed me in the prequels. Good OPINION, but, Watto LOOKED alot more real than Gollum. IMO of course. Alot of things LOOKED more real than gollum. The major factor in this debate tho is the ACTING done by ANdy Serkis, he was the LIFE of Gollum and thats what makes him "more real" by comparison.

JediTricks
01-02-2004, 11:57 PM
Caesar, thanks, I'm glad someone gets why I felt the way I did.

I think the reason Star Wars got hit with more CGI complaints is because of a few things: the Special Editions have left some bad CG tastes in audiences mouths; Jar Jar was annoying; too many things like Yoda in Ep2 were in massive close-up and looked a little like oil paintings come to life or "cartoony" as some have said; and in the first 2 LOTR films (IMO of course, you feel the exact opposite ;)) much of the CG didn't contrast visually or texturally with their surroundings. And of course, the final reason being that LOTR's CGI was simply made later than Ep1's and thus had technological and style advancements above the first SW prequel. Personally, most of the CG backdrops in SW have worked for me, same with Watto and Tarpals, but the living creatures like the Shaak and the Eopie didn't often pay off for me - though some of that was a fault of the initial creature design I think. Also, I feel Lucas used too much CG in direct interaction with the human actors, cutting them from one take and putting another take over that, altering their eyelines, bluescreening them into new settings without balancing the real-world lighting to match (a problem that the Rancor scene in ROTJ suffers from and that's pre-CGI).

If the EE cut is over 4 hours, I think this will be the first of the trilogy where I'll prefer seeing it at home to a theater (unless it has an intermission, which I doubt since I've been saying that for all the films and not one has had it ;)).

When I first saw TTT, I didn't totally care for CG Gollum either, but by the end of that viewing, it didn't bother me at all (kinda like how you felt about Saruman in ROTK). Upon viewing the TTT:EE in the theater, it was totally convincing for me, though I had that same initial feeling when I saw ROTK, first it didn't work for me - probably like you said because Serkis was more convincing in makeup - but then it did after they left Faromir. Some of his grins got a little too CG for me though, especially that last scene. lol

the elephant creatures were great (CGI), but I really was not impressed by Shelob. Way too fake Weird, the exact opposite of my take on those 2. :crazed:

I also hated the way the movie tried to end, like, seven times. Rescue... and fade to black. Frodo wakes up and the cast appears... and fade to black. Aragorn becomes king... and fade to black. The Hobbits go back to the shire... and fade to black. Hobbits at the pub... and fade to black. Sam gets married... and fade to black. Frodo completes the book... and fade to black. The Hobbits leave the shire... and fade to black. Frodo and Bilbo get on the boat... and fade to black that's the end YES!!!! Exactly what I thought. For me, it was like "either pick one of those as the ending or at least stop fading out all the time! Choose one or edit them together!!!" And before the rescue, it fades to black when Frodo & Sam think they're about to die too, so it's nearly 8 endings.

I have to say, as a whole, the LOTR trilogy BLOWS AWAY the SW prequels, and, as much as I hate to say it, is pretty much better than SW as a whole 5 movie series, in my opinion. But I am not sure I would say that if not for the last 2 incarnations of it. Although I am not sure I would go with you on the SW Original Trilogy, I'm totally there with you on the prequels and probably the SEs as well. That's why I suggested that poll to Tycho a while back about LOTR movies overtaking SW movies as the dominant cinematic fantasy series: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21931 (I'm still a little surprised at how many people bemoaned LOTR in that thread yet the option ended up winning).

Stilla, my recent plan for seeing the LOTR films in the theater has been to not drink anything for at least 2 hours prior, use the bathroom before the movie starts, and if I have a drink for the film, to not start until at least 30 minutes in. ;) Kinda sad that I have to make this kind of strategy, when I was a teenager, I saw Lawrence of Arabia (though it had a beautiful intermission), the whole Back to the Future trilogy, and the first 5 Star Trek films at the theater without bathroom issues of any kind.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Oh for the love of Jesus, what's all this b******* and moaning about needing intermissions and the movie being too long?!?! You've read reviews, you've looked up movie info on the net and you KNOW it's going to be long. I don't believe for one freakin' second that people walked into that movie and DIDN'T know it was going to be a long film. I've seen the flick 4 times, each time it was sold out and out of those 4 times, i've only seen a handful of people leaving in the middle of the movie. Either go before the movie or don't get the mega supersized jumbo pop and suck it down so damned fast. Good lord. :rolleyes:

As for the endings, ya see kids, when, you have so many characters and so many things that need to happen in the story to tie up the loose ends in what we call "the plot." Now, when the screen faded to black after Sam & Frodo are on the rock, it is, in essence, the "end" of one journey: the war of the ring. We then head to the houses of the healing where the screen never really fades, but gets bright, but before all is gone, we see Gondor coming up for the coronation. Then, the screen pans out and goes into that map showing the shire and then the scene starts w/ the hobbits coming back to the Shire, then it cuts to them at the Green Dragon, then the marriage, and then it cuts to Frodo in his house and then the screen gets somewhat bright again and then it shows the carriage taking Bilbo and Crew to the shores. So, as of right now, i'm only counting 1 for sure, maybe 2 "fades". Then they head to the shores and the ship sails off into the distance the screen gets bright again and then it shows sam walking home and whatnot. Some of those things HAD to be in the movie or else we get questions, "What happened to Frodo?!??!?" I only remember maybe 2 or so actual fades that nothing was shown on the screen.

i agree w/ ya LIMP; these films definately blow anything from the Star wars saga out out of the water for me. LOTR won't be able to touch all the memories of my youngling years that include SW, but when i look back between the two series, Lord of the Rings has much more heart, better characters, MUCH better acting and it made me give a damn about people in the film. Star Wars hasn't been able to do that for me for some time.

Just my opinion. cheers!! :D

Turbowars
01-03-2004, 01:49 AM
JT, all I was saying is that sometimes your surroundings effect your (I guess I should only say my) feelings. With me, If I'm upset about something like right now, my wife is in the hospital as I type this. I try to do the things that make me happy, but I since I have other things on my mind I can't enjoy it. That's all I was saying. So really I can give a crap if you liked it or not. It's not like you NEVER disagree with anything now do you.:rolleyes: So I wasn't putting you down. I mean, if I was talking to you in person you would have got what I was saying. People take things so wrong in these forums. It's like you have to sugar coat everything so you don't offend anyone.:ermm:

2-1B
01-03-2004, 02:38 AM
So why DID they go CG for Gollum? The only valid reason I can think of is those enlarged eyes . . . I initially thought it was because of all his hopping around and such - but for all the praise Serkis got for his bluesuit motion capture work, I wonder if he couldn't have pulled it off himself? For now I can only look to those big eyes as justification for him being CG.

Of course, maybe if I watch all that bonus DVD footage, I may find my answers. ;)

Extended Editions in the theater? That sounds fun! I'm sure one or two places did it around here, but I'm not sure where. There's no way I could do the marathon of all 3 theatrical releases in a cinema (nevermind the EEs), it's just way too long for me. :D

JediTricks
01-03-2004, 06:00 AM
Guyute, just because I knew it was a long film doesn't mean I couldn't benefit from 10 minutes to use the can, stretch the legs, reflect and digest on the first half of the film, and refill the popcorn. Seeing it at the Cinerama Dome recently, I had to take a walk through the wings of the "balcony" (6 stairs up is not really a balcony to me) because my legs started killing me from those seats.

Some of those things HAD to be in the movie or else we get questions, "What happened to Frodo?!??!?" I only remember maybe 2 or so actual fades that nothing was shown on the screen. Maybe it was just folks like JP & me who started nodding off after Aragorn's coronation. ;) The scenes JP mentioned feel to me like they fade out even if they don't actually, I think they have that sort of pacing on the ones that don't fade to black. As for "what happened to Frodo", I don't understand why the mass-market ending of Aragorn and everybody else bowing to the 4 Hobbits couldn't tie that up. Nearly everything after that really seems like mega-epilogue stuff to me, certainly not germane to that thing... what was it you called it, the main "plot"? ;)(especially if you consider that Frodo is writing The Lord of the Rings).

It'd be like if there was a second ending to ROTJ where you see Luke a few years later banish himself to eternal solitude to control the events that spawned from travelling down the dark path, and then a third ending where Han & Chewie can't simply go back to being smugglers anymore, and finally a fourth where Leia disappears into space forever searching for Luke.

Caesar, I think besides the eyes, Gollum looks quite emaciated, more so than a human could look while still moving around that much. Other than that, perhaps he needed to have an almost etherial feel to him, as if he didn't totally fit in with the universe of Middle Earth anymore after hundreds of years with the ring.

The EEs in the theater were awesome fun, we got to see FOTR & TTT that way only a few days apart; on the last day of TTT:EE at the Cinerama Dome, they also did FOTR:EE, TTT:EE, and ROTK all back-to-back, that was too daunting for me, I don't think I could have done it. :crazed:

---

Turbo, I'm sorry to hear about your wife. However, if we were speaking in person and you dismissed my point-by-point list of things I didn't like about the film in one fell swoop, chalked up to some generalization the way you did, I would probably end the conversation and walk away. I do see what you're saying, you thought my theater-going experience wasn't pleasant and that tainted a general viewpoint, but it's not like I came here and just said "the movie sucked, so boring" with no reasoning behind it, I didn't just storm in and grumble "it wasn't any good". You didn't comment or disagree with my points, you didn't even seem to take them into consideration when publicly dismissing my opinion.

Here's sort of an analogy: if a woman had spent the time writing all those points to show what formed an opinion, it kinda felt like you came in and said that her opinion ONLY existed because the author was on her period.

Turbowars
01-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Here's sort of an analogy: if a woman had spent the time writing all those points to show what formed an opinion, it kinda felt like you came in and said that her opinion ONLY existed because the author was on her period. Sound like you are on yours.:D No J/K. I'm done with this. I'm happy you didn't like it.

Billy_Dee_Binks
01-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Finally LOTR is over for now.
I think it´s as overrated as Titanic. ROTK had some of the weakest moments in screen history. The warm welcome for example was really laughable. As if there was the whole army standing in line to smile at Frodo lying in bed. And now comes Aaragorn in a dress! SMILE! And now comes Legolas in a dress! SMILE!
and now comes Gimli! SMILE! And now comes Soldier #2499944. SMILE!

Other things as Halifax (if that´s Gandalf´s horse I´m talking about) throwing Deohden (sp?) onto the pile of buring logs looked so silly and then having him run down the whole hallway followed by the whole way to the cliff and then...oh he falls down-what a surprise. :rolleyes:

Also, the millions of close-ups we got of Frodo whenever he was looking worried. This made the close-up of his face with the foam comming out so unintentionally funny for some audience (excluding me).
Aaragorn singing? Hmmm. Frodo´s character really didn´t impress me at all in this one. Especially at Mordor when he got weak again putting on his ring.
That was SO cheesy! Destroyed his whole character that built up in the other parts. Sam was the true hero of this film. Frodo was the companion.

PJ LOTR is simply overrated. Good movies but not as good as they get threated. I would have made a totally different project out of the LOTR story.
Have five or six directors work on the same story, creating a mix of how they would do it. The three we´ve got are always the same. Same cold, dark, blue-ish surroundings. Think of this: Steven Spielberg, Tim Burton, George Lucas, Robert Zemeckis, Peter Jackson and others working on the same project.
Would have turned out much better. Much more interesting.
Three hour movies that would have been worth it. PJ could have also made three two hour movies and still get the same effect.
I didn´t see TTT but FOTR and ROTK. I thought the story flow worked perfectly. As if there wasn´t anything between them. Gollum´s propper intoduction and Helm´s Deep. Well. Saruman being cut out of the ROTK is rediculous. Shame on you, PJ.
One of the silliest moves he could possibly make as not everyone´s going to buy the EEs.

CropDuster
01-04-2004, 01:28 AM
To do it right there should have been 3 movies made for each book, and they should have followed the books' storyline!

Billy_Dee_Binks
01-04-2004, 10:07 AM
Finally LOTR is over for now.
I think it´s as overrated as Titanic. ROTK had some of the weakest moments in screen history. The warm welcome for example was really laughable. As if there was the whole army standing in line to smile at Frodo lying in bed. And now comes Aaragorn in a dress! SMILE! And now comes Legolas in a dress! SMILE!
and now comes Gimli! SMILE! And now comes Soldier #2499944. SMILE!

Other things as Halifax (if that´s Gandalf´s horse I´m talking about) throwing Deohden (sp?) onto the pile of buring logs looked so silly and then having him run down the whole hallway followed by the whole way to the cliff and then...oh he falls down-what a surprise. :rolleyes:

Also, the millions of close-ups we got of Frodo whenever he was looking worried. This made the close-up of his face with the foam comming out so unintentionally funny for some audience (excluding me).
Aaragorn singing? Hmmm. Frodo´s character really didn´t impress me at all in this one. Especially at Mordor when he got weak again putting on his ring.
That was SO cheesy! Destroyed his whole character that built up in the other parts. Sam was the true hero of this film. Frodo was the companion.

PJ LOTR is simply overrated. Good movies but not as good as they get threated. I would have made a totally different project out of the LOTR story.
Have five or six directors work on the same story, creating a mix of how they would do it. The three we´ve got are always the same. Same cold, dark, blue-ish surroundings. Think of this: Steven Spielberg, Tim Burton, George Lucas, Robert Zemeckis, Peter Jackson and others working on the same project.
Would have turned out much better. Much more interesting.
Three hour movies that would have been worth it. PJ could have also made three two hour movies and still get the same effect.
I didn´t see TTT but FOTR and ROTK. I thought the story flow worked perfectly. As if there wasn´t anything between them. Gollum´s propper intoduction and Helm´s Deep. Well. Saruman being cut out of the ROTK is rediculous. Shame on you, PJ.
One of the silliest moves he could possibly make as not everyone´s going to buy the EEs.

I forgot Ridley Scott and Terry Gilliam- come to think of Gilliam making a movies out of these books. Could have probably been more entertaining than Peter Jacksons version.

JEDIpartner
01-06-2004, 12:10 PM
As for the endings, ya see kids, when, you have so many characters and so many things that need to happen in the story to tie up the loose ends in what we call "the plot."
This has been an across the board gripe from pretty much everyone I know who has seen the film. I think we would have gotten the point if there were a wipe or a simple cut to the next scene. It was just poor editing.

Beast
02-07-2004, 04:24 AM
When we get a press release, I'll start the DVD thread. But until then, we have a confirmed release date for the Theatrical Edition. And a vague one for the EE. The following news is from Digital Bits, but several retailers are confirming 5/25. :)

This falls in the category of rumor, because New Line has yet to officially announce the title. But we've heard from a number of retailers, indicating that they've been told by the studio to expect the theatrical version of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King on May 25th. This confirms what we've been hearing as well.

This is also supported by a recent Video Business article (in the Feb. 2 issue), in which New Line is said to have confirmed that the theatrical version of the film will be released in May, and that the extended edition would follow in September. According to recent interviews by director Peter Jackson, the longer version reportedly clocks in at 4 hours and 10 minutes. New Line also reportedly says they won't announce the title until after the Oscars at the end of this month.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
02-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Is this the real deal?

PENDO!

Beast
02-09-2004, 10:37 AM
As far as I know, that is indeed the R2 DVD art. As well as the specs. R1 (USA) should look similar. Here's the specs according to the UK DVD Debate site. :)

Return Of The King - Region 2
Posted on Sunday, February 08 2004 @ 15:45:08 GMT by Chris Marin

Thanks to Ngylax, we have managed to get hold of what looks to be the official art work and contents listing for EIV's Region 2 release of Lord Of The Rings Return Of The King.

The movie will be presented with an anamorphic widescreen transfer and DD5.1EX English audio. The movie will also boast English subtitles.

Extra features will incude:

Revealing The Secrets Behind The Production Of An Epic Adventure indepth program.
A Final Look At Middle-earth & The War Of The Rings: 6 lordoftherings.net featurettes
Lord Of The Rings Trilogy Outtakes & Bloopers
Original Theatrical Trailer & TV Spots
"Into The West" Annie Lennox music video
Electronic Arts' Lord Of The Rings Trilogy video game preview
An Inside Look At The Special Edition DVD Edition Of Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King.

Of course this could be a very clever "mock-up", but until anything else emerges we'll have to wait and see.

This set is pencilled in for a May 24th release date at the moment; read on for a look at the UK Region 2 cover art.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-09-2004, 11:50 AM
FINALLY LOTR Bloopers!!! YES YES YES!!! I've wanted these for a while!! cheers! :D

Darth Kirk
02-14-2004, 02:52 AM
Have not read thru the whole thread, but did anyone else notice how bad the editing was on the film.. The transition between scenes seemed too amateur; with blank screen pauses that seemed too long.. The theme seemed repetitive throughout the whole trilogy; when things are down, there'll be something there to save you, trees, dead armies etc. I just truly do not see why there is SOOOO much hype for this trilogy.. to each his/her own. :o

kool-aid killer
02-14-2004, 02:45 PM
I just tried to enjoy seeing it on the big screen. I guess right now i could care less about editing, blank screens, and the theme. There will be plenty of time to dissect it and argue over what would have been better suited and so on. Perhaps the theme was that there is always hope. Is it overhyped? Personally i dont think it is, but maybe thats because i enjoyed all three and like hearing more about what went into its creation and whatnot.

Darth Kirk
02-14-2004, 03:01 PM
Well for me, watching a movie is the whole experience of it.. And the whole experience involves the look, feel and emotion it exudes.. Editing and theme fall within my scope of the experience. The theme was repetitive and the editing was just bad.. Overall, the films were well done, but just not my cup a tea, cup of coffee, glass of guinness ..etc.etc.

Pendo
02-15-2004, 07:20 AM
Looks like the Region 2 artwork I posted earlier was the real deal, because here's the OFFICIAL Region 1 artwork from New Line :).

PENDO!

mabudonicus
02-19-2004, 11:43 AM
If I had to name one thing that I disliked over any other about this film, it would be the giant holes (mentioned a few times as bad editing etc so far this thread) left in the film by the obvious exclusion of the "extra" material made for the EE of ROTK.
If this trend continues, where integral parts are "withheld" for later release, it could get pretty annoying... There were too many bits where it was clear something was missing, made super-obvious by the multi-fade ending first lamented by JP
Extra footage should be truly extra, IMO

Oh, and gollum stinks(couldn't agree more, Caesar) AND shelob made me think "Ed Wood 2003" :)

-Durge-
02-21-2004, 06:52 AM
May. Thats not too long at all.

Darth Jax
02-29-2004, 10:42 PM
so i finally saw the movie this weekend. don't want to read through 15 pages of reviews of the film so sorry if i repeat what others have said. didn't see the first 2 flicks in the theater, only on DVD (and wasn't too big a fan of them). was surprised that theater was nearly sold out for a movie this old, but aside from the passion not much out right now.

really didn't care much for this movie, 3 hours of my life i'd like to have back. i've recently read the entire 9 book series. the books make much more of the doubts aragorn has towards accepting his legacy and the crown. felt that was missing from the movie and that aragorn was a secondary character when it should've been his story. the inclusion of scenes from the healing houses would probably have helped some.

have yet to meet a cgi character in a live action film that i've liked. sorry but a computer still can't capture whatever it is that gives someone a true presence on screen.

the members of the fellowship were all protrayed as characters and people that we should care about in the first film and somewhat in the second. but in this one they seemed to muddle from one place to another so that grand battle scenes could be highlight the screen. legolas and the oliphaunt was way too over-the-top. the ride down the stairs on his shield in TTT was bad enough, this was too much. gimli served no purpose other than comic relief. sam (the true hero of the movie) merely uttered "mr. frodo" every couple of minutes. merry and pippin could be erased from the movie and i probably wouldn't notice (the witchking scene would have to be altered slightly). lastly frodo seemed expressionless and comatose in every scene.

just my opinion and my apologies to all the die-hard fans out there who will take offense to this.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-01-2004, 01:31 PM
I think it'll get nominated for a Best Picture and PJ should get another nod, but will it win? No, or at least not unless the Academy feels PJ and Co. got gyped on the first two and want to make up for it.

Watched all 10+ hours of the oscars last night, primarily to see how ROTK would fare. After seeing that Crystal's opening film montage parody had more than 50% content on LOTR I knew they'd sweep the awards. I disagree on how the Academy awards the Oscars. They pulled a Denzel on this one.

While I thought the first movie was the best in the particular group of films it was nominated with, it didn't win. Now with the whole trilogy out I feel the Academy thought they owed PJ and Co. with awards for missing many in the past. ROTK was not the best, IMO of the five, yet they penalize a superior flick like Mystic River, to reward PJ for the whole effort.

Anyways, I'm not bitter or anything, I just think it's goofy how the Academy recognizes individual performances vs. a whole body of work.

El Chuxter
03-01-2004, 01:39 PM
I just think it's goofy how the Academy recognizes individual performances vs. a whole body of work.

Three words sum up why I lost faith in the integrity of the Oscars as an actual award of merit:
Oscar-winner Eminem! :eek:

Mandalorian Candidat
03-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Three words sum up why I lost faith in the integrity of the Oscars as an actual award of merit:
Oscar-winner Eminem! :eek:

I think either someone lost a bet, they all got plastered the night before the ballots were due, or MnM was exercising blackmail.

I guess it could be worse.
Academy Award winner Michael Jackson. :crazed:

2-1B
03-02-2004, 03:08 AM
I thought Eminem co-wrote a nice little song last year . . . wow, and it was actually relevant to the film unlike those garbage Annie Lennox songs which are tacked onto the LOTR credits. :rolleyes:

What the hell was that about last night, "Into the West?" :dead:
Annie Lennox was horrible . . . this song is not 1/5th as good as ANYTHING written for A Mighty Wind. :)

RooJay
03-02-2004, 04:55 AM
I thought it was more than relevant to the film - it even tied directly in to dialog spoken throughout the film. Not to mention that it perfectly alluded to and tied up much of what unfolded throughout the trilogy. The perfect capper of a song in my opinion, and I found the film version at least (never mind the live version sung on the awards show) to be quite heartfelt and emotionally appropriate.

Plus, there's no way anyone can convince me that Eminem's song should ever have deserved to win over U2's.

...that Triplettes of Belleville song was pretty dang catchy, though, and I couldn't even make out a single word that was sung...

Mandalorian Candidat
03-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Most songs are just tacked on to the end of the movie over the credits. If the Academy got their act together, they would disquallify any song played after the credits start rolling. At least the Mighty Wind song was played in the context of the movie and wasn't just tacked on.

Caesar, Annie Lennox only had the single song from ROTK, the rest were done by other female singers. Yeah, she sucked eggs on stage and even admitted it during her speech, but come on, don't you get that the Academy was rewarding the whole trilogy and not specifically her?

RooJay
03-03-2004, 09:32 PM
That song was also played in the context of the movie - it's musical themes were not only woven into the score all throughout the film, but it's lyrics even showed up several times as dialog in an awful lot of key scenes.

I got the impression that she won the Oscar fair and square for an awesome song that was perfectly suited to the film it was written for, but that's just me. I have yet to see A Mighty WInd - though I'm certain it's an excellent movie (I'm a HUGE Christopher Guest fan) - and that song was pretty funny and charming, but I got the impression that it was only one of many songs written to be featured in the film rather than being a song written to describe and represent the film on it's own. Although I'm sure that last point could be argued to suit one's own point of view.

JediTricks
03-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Pardon me while I change gears for a moment, but I picked up FOTR and TTT (the EE DVDs) at Target last night for $25 each. The sale is till the 5th, and TTT wasn't even marked on the shelf, only came up at the register that way.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Pardon me while I change gears for a moment, but I picked up FOTR and TTT (the EE DVDs) at Target last night for $25 each. The sale is till the 5th, and TTT wasn't even marked on the shelf, only came up at the register that way.

They're listed in the weekly flier, JT. They also have the two-disc sets for $17.99 ($5 off). I don't have the FOTR 2-disc and am thinking about getting it so I can watch the OG release, but it still sounds a little high for a sale price.

-Durge-
03-05-2004, 12:48 AM
Does anyone know what the LOTR song is da, da, da da da, da da da, da da da, da da da, da, da da. I'm trying to find it but I can not.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-05-2004, 01:27 AM
Does anyone know what the LOTR song is da, da, da da da, da da da, da da da, da da da, da, da da. I'm trying to find it but I can not.

Durge- that's the main theme that's recalled during the films as the "fellowship" theme. Try listening to the song "The Ring Goes South" from the FOTR score as that's in there as well. You might also want: "The Bridge of Khazad Dum" as it plays in there too. If i think of anymore, i'll let ya know, but i know that is a main theme that is in all of the films. Hope this helps. :D

2-1B
03-05-2004, 03:08 AM
Caesar, Annie Lennox only had the single song from ROTK, the rest were done by other female singers.

Thanks for the clarification. My bad. :)

Yeah, she sucked eggs on stage and even admitted it during her speech, but come on, don't you get that the Academy was rewarding the whole trilogy and not specifically her?

Oh, I get it alright. ;) I just think she sucks eggs all the time. :p

I have yet to see A Mighty WInd - though I'm certain it's an excellent movie (I'm a HUGE Christopher Guest fan)
:eek: A "HUGE fan" yet you've not seen it ? Come on! Check it out, it's a great little film. :)

and that song was pretty funny and charming, but I got the impression that it was only one of many songs written to be featured in the film rather than being a song written to describe and represent the film on it's own. Although I'm sure that last point could be argued to suit one's own point of view.

My point of view is that the award is for best original song. Not songs or whole soundtrack. For what it's worth, the Wind song which was performed does actually cover the storyline between those 2 characters. The breadth of material which it covers does not matter to me . . . wait a minute, then why did I make this post:

I thought Eminem co-wrote a nice little song last year . . . wow, and it was actually relevant to the film unlike those garbage Annie Lennox songs which are tacked onto the LOTR credits.

What the hell was that about last night, "Into the West?"
Annie Lennox was horrible . . . this song is not 1/5th as good as ANYTHING written for A Mighty Wind.

Sorry, that didn't really come across the way I meant it to.

First off, let me correct myself in saying that Eminem's song was not even played in the movie. I was thinking of the previews which they played it during - but when I saw the movie, I think it was just played over the credits. So I'll agree with ManCan about songs being played over credits.

That's what I meant by relevant - I wasn't thinking lyrics but function within the movie. In fairness, I would have to paint Eminem's song with the same brush. :) When I asked "what was that about" I wasn't thinking literally what the song was about, I just hated Annie Lennox's performance.

Sorry. :(

-Durge-
03-05-2004, 06:56 AM
Durge- that's the main theme that's recalled during the films as the "fellowship" theme. Try listening to the song "The Ring Goes South" from the FOTR score as that's in there as well. You might also want: "The Bridge of Khazad Dum" as it plays in there too. If i think of anymore, i'll let ya know, but i know that is a main theme that is in all of the films. Hope this helps. :DYes, the main theme. I picked up the ROTK soundtrack and to my disapoint it was not there. Everytime I hear that theme I feel unstoppable. Thanks for the heads up. I will pick up the FOTR soundtrack.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-05-2004, 10:22 AM
It's vaguely on the ROTK soundtrack during the "Return of the King" it's lightly played as the fellowship comes in and greets Frodo in the houses of healing. It's ALL over the TTT score as that flick had a lot of Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas, which were it's primary hosts. good luck! :D

-Durge-
03-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Where is it in the ROTR score??

Is it all over the TTT score?

-Durge-
03-05-2004, 07:41 PM
I FOUND IT!!I FOUND IT!!There is a little bit on it on track 17 of the ROTK soundtrack!!!
Thanks for your help. I'm going to pick up the TTT soundtrack.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-06-2004, 10:32 AM
Sad Sad news: it looks like the extended edition is going to be released in November rather than the speculative August. There was a promo ad for the ROTK DVD's and under the EE it says, "AVAILABLE HOLIDAY 2004." This does suck, but i got faith that it'll be well worth the wait. I guess this isn't TOO bad as the regular DVD is due out May 25th, but i was hoping for an earlier release for the EE, dammit!!!

Source: Coming soon.net (forums- click on the pic!)

Durge- glad i could help ya out! enjoy those scores; they're awesome!! I can't wait to hear that live in a few weeks in columbus!! wohoo!! :D

Mandalorian Candidat
03-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Maybe the holiday that was mentioned was Labor Day. :D

OK,OK, that's wishful thinking but I guess it makes sense from a marketing standpoint with all the XMas shopping.

-Durge-
03-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Sad Sad news: it looks like the extended edition is going to be released in November rather than the speculative August. There was a promo ad for the ROTK DVD's and under the EE it says, "AVAILABLE HOLIDAY 2004." This does suck, but i got faith that it'll be well worth the wait. I guess this isn't TOO bad as the regular DVD is due out May 25th, but i was hoping for an earlier release for the EE, dammit!!!

Source: Coming soon.net (forums- click on the pic!)

Do we know who the stautue is going to be. I think it might be Minus Tirth.

kool-aid killer
03-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Its going to be a long wait, but im sure the EE will be well worth it. I see since its Oscar wins that the nearest movie theater has given it a few more time slots, i had better see it again soon before it goes to a theater with bad seating and horrible popcorn.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Durge- a little model of Minas Tirith would be pretty nifty. I'd also like maybe to see some sort of Mount Doom or maybe even Shelob!!

I read today that the regular ROTK DVD won't be having any clips from the EE, which sucks as those little 10 minute clips got me giddy for the EE. Oh well though! :D

-Durge-
03-07-2004, 06:01 PM
No clips of the ROTK EE!! Thats wrong, what will they show us on disc 2 then?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-07-2004, 06:33 PM
No clips of the ROTK EE!! Thats wrong, what will they show us on disc 2 then?

that's a negative my good friend; it won't be on the regular disc or on the extras. New Line and it's properties are being really stupid for ROTK for some reason. A few days ago, a pic of the Mouth Of Sauron figure emerged and TB/Newline hit the fan and were threatening to press lawsuits not only against sites, but INDIVIDUAL people as well. I had a request in my sig at LOTR Guide for the pic and the mods asked me to take it down so i wouldn't get legal action. I think they've forgotten that the MoS was not only in the ROTK visual guide, but in the game and there is also a AOME fig as well.

Oh well; this'll just increase my anticipation for the EE! cheers! :D

-Durge-
03-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Wow, thats tight!! Did you end up seeing the pic of the figure?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-27-2004, 01:12 AM
I figured this was as a good a place to post this as any. I attended opening night of the "Lord of the Rings Symphony" tonight in Columbus, OH. Howard Shore conducted the Columbus Symphony Orchestra along with two choirs. I posted this review over at LOTRG, and thought i'd toss it on here for those who care. enjoy!!

Alright, i was lucky enough to attend this show tonight in cols and it was AMAZING. They had a program that mentioned the setlist for that night, but Shore had some surprises in store as he added a few tunes here and there; somebody over at TORN posted the set and i modified it. It was:

The Fellowship of the Ring
Movement One
The Prophecy-Concerning Hobbits-The Shadow of the Past-A Shortcut to Mushrooms-The Old Forest-A Knife in the Dark

Movement Two
Many Meetings-The Ring Goes South-A Journey in the Dark-The Bridge of Khazad-dum-Lothlorien-Gandalf's Lament-Farewell to Lorien-The Great River-The Breaking of the Fellowship (included "In Dreams)

The Two Towers
Movement Three
Foundations of Stone-The Taming of Smeagol- The Riders of Rohan- The Black Gate is Closed- Evenstar-The White Rider (included "Shadowfax" intro theme)-Treebeard-The Forbidden Pool

Movement Four
The Hornburg-Forth Eorlingas-Isengard Unleashed-Gollum's Song

The Return of the King
Movement Five
Hope and Memory-The White Tree(started off with Minas Tirith, which cut off just before the Gondor theme)-The Steward of Gondor-Cirith Ungol-Anduril

Movement Six
Fields of Pelennor (some of it at least)-The End of All Things-The Return of the King-The Grey Havens-Into the West

If anybody else attended the show, let me know if i'm wrong/right and if you want to add your own info, please do. They had it set up like Howard was conducting the symphony and the two choirs and behind the choirs, was this massive screen. There were two additional smaller screens placed where some box seats would be. These screens would show artwork by Alan Lee as it correlated to the music. So, if they were playing "Anduril", they would show drawings of the sword and whatnot and so on. The vocalists were also superb and the young woman who did a majority of the vocals needed was jaw droppingly awesome. I really hope that everybody gets a chance to check out the LOTR Symphony as it's truly a magical experience. Cheers! :D

Mandalorian Candidat
03-29-2004, 10:55 AM
Lucky dog. Sounds like a great show. I remember going to John Williams concerts at the Hollywood Bowl back in the 90s when he would play tons of SW music. This sounds just as awesome if not better. Any idea if HS is playing other venues with LotR music?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-29-2004, 03:44 PM
MC- Yeah, his site posted these dates:

4/16/04 - Flemish Radio Orchestra and Choir
• 5/23/04 - London Philharmonic
• 6/4-5 - Atlanta Symphony tickets
• 7/13 - Philadelphia Orchestra tickets
• 7/16-17 - Seattle Symphony tickets
• 7/22-23 - National Arts Center Orchestra - John Mauceri, conductor
• 7/30-31 - Pittsburgh Symphony tickets
• 9/21 - Hollywood Bowl Orchestra - John Mauceri, conductor

More dates could be added!
I'm not sure what the conductor thing is, I'll just assume he's the regular conductor and HS is taking over for him during those shows? I dunno, but here ya go! cheers!!!!

Mandalorian Candidat
03-29-2004, 05:35 PM
MC- Yeah, his site posted these dates:

4/16/04 - Flemish Radio Orchestra and Choir
• 5/23/04 - London Philharmonic
• 6/4-5 - Atlanta Symphony tickets
• 7/13 - Philadelphia Orchestra tickets
• 7/16-17 - Seattle Symphony tickets
• 7/22-23 - National Arts Center Orchestra - John Mauceri, conductor
• 7/30-31 - Pittsburgh Symphony tickets
• 9/21 - Hollywood Bowl Orchestra - John Mauceri, conductor

More dates could be added!
I'm not sure what the conductor thing is, I'll just assume he's the regular conductor and HS is taking over for him during those shows? I dunno, but here ya go! cheers!!!!

Thanks for the update. I'll have to check his site out for possible updates, though I doubt he'd be travelling to SLC anytime soon with all the larger US cities not on his list.

dr_evazan22
03-29-2004, 06:27 PM
Yeah, thanks for the update JMG. I saw John Williams last year in Philly and he was incredible! I just emailed pretty much everyone I knew about the concert.

If any other SSg'ers from the Greater Phila Area plan on going LMK so we can meet up and say hi!

Mandalorian Candidat
03-30-2004, 11:53 AM
I was looking at the howardshore.com site and I guess it's a fan site and not one by HS. I haven't been able to dig one up that's more official that would have a possible complete listing of concert dates. John Williams does have his own site at www.johnwilliams.org (I think) with what seems to be a decent listing of upcoming performances (nothing listing SW music for 2004). I think Sony Classical also has a web site for JW, (www.johnwilliamscomposer.com) but it doesn't seem to be as complete or as comprehensive.

BTW, John Mauceri is the regular conductor of the Hollywood Bowl Orchestry/Symphony/Whatever. I've seen him conduct them several times when I lived in SoCal.

dr_evazan22
04-01-2004, 03:29 PM
I went to check out ticket prices at the Phila Orchestra site and they didn't have anything listed. So I went to the Mann Music Ctr site, and I found out that there will also be a show called "Great High Mountain Tour" with music from O Brother... and Cold Mountain.

Cities that I found on the Tickmaster site are:
Detroit
Columbus, OH
Chicago
Minneapolis
Lexington, KY
Cincinatti
Cary, NC

All the dates were in May, but the Philly show is in June.

If any SSG'ers want to go to this too, LMK.

:beard:

Mandalorian Candidat
04-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Last night I was over at my sister-in-law's for dinner and, ta-da, my niece somehow got ahold of a copy of the upcoming DVD (2-disc). It had the disc one menu and features (if you can say there are any) and all the regular animation. It looked the same as the first two sets. I guess it wasn't compressed because it was on two discs. I don't think they had any of the disc two features, though. The quality was great and it was pretty cool to see it and be able to talk over it the whole time without being shusshed.

Can't wait for the EE now.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Last night I was over at my sister-in-law's for dinner and, ta-da, my niece somehow got ahold of a copy of the upcoming DVD (2-disc). It had the disc one menu and features (if you can say there are any) and all the regular animation. It looked the same as the first two sets. I guess it wasn't compressed because it was on two discs. I don't think they had any of the disc two features, though. The quality was great and it was pretty cool to see it and be able to talk over it the whole time without being shusshed.

Can't wait for the EE now.

MC- I will say that i know somebody in that exact same situation and this particular person is very pleased with it and is also giddy for the EE ;) cheers!! :D

Mandalorian Candidat
04-05-2004, 03:53 PM
MC- I will say that i know somebody in that exact same situation and this particular person is very pleased with it and is also giddy for the EE ;) cheers!! :D

Let me see...does this person also have a Tom Hanks avatar? ;)

Mandalorian Candidat
05-25-2004, 03:49 PM
Did anyone else get their 2-disc set yet? This one doesn't have the little adventure card like the TTT version had, so I guess NL won't be doing another promo. There was a coupon(?) for $5 off the EE set, though.

I hadn't really looked up the disc 2 content ahead of time so I was surprised that there wasn't an EE preview, just a super long trailer for the whole trilogy. They didn't even include a "video" of the Into the West song like they did on the first two sets. Can't wait to watch the NG special. I heard it's interesting, though not totally related to the movie itself.

Reefer Shark
05-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I scored mine this morning. Will be watching it tonight!

I noticed the $5 dollar coupon, but I think it's kinda lame since you have to buy both versions to get the $5 back... I bet most people will have forgotten about the coupon by the time the EE comes out. :rolleyes:

Bummer about it not having the EE preview, that really fired me up the last time around when they did that on TTT. Not really a big deal though, I guess.

JediTricks
05-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Can't wait to hear some reviews of this set's features. I plan on just renting it for the features and buying the EE when it comes out this winter.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-18-2004, 12:46 AM
I saw this posted at LOTRG and forgot to post it here. The EE is due out in early december.

Return of the King Extended Edition DVD in December Source: Video Business Tuesday, June 8, 2004

Video Business reports that New Line Home Entertainment will release the extended edition DVD of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King in December.

That falls outside of the holiday shopping primetime of mid-November--when the past two extended versions of the series, "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers," hit stores.

Still, the switch is not expected to hurt sales. Consumers have been aware for months about an upcoming extended take on "Return of the King," given the releases of ones for "Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers".

The trade adds that the extended edition took longer to produce because cast members, now filming new projects, had to be rounded up from all over to complete their commentaries.

here is the link from the article above

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=5066

bummer, yes. Shall we deal with it, yes. I bet it'll be BEYOND worth the wait. :D

scruffziller
10-13-2004, 03:02 PM
It is December 14th to be exact.:(

But I will most certainly be owning this below!!!!:crazed:

Mandalorian Candidat
10-13-2004, 05:41 PM
On a related note, Sean Astin has a new book out called There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale. He was plugging it this AM on a radio show. It sounded like a good roast of actors who had treated him like garbage. I've got my name in at the library to check it out once it comes in.

Jayspawn
10-14-2004, 12:54 AM
I cant wait to get that Extended Edition!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-15-2004, 10:05 PM
http://progressive2.stream.aol.com/newline/gl/newline/lordoftherings/ReturnOfTheKing/videos/LOTR_ROTK_Extend_700_dl.mov

Sit down and prepare for a brief blip from the official LOTR site. Your first look at THE MOUTH OF SAURON. Enjoy kids. :D

derek
10-16-2004, 12:01 AM
On a related note, Sean Astin has a new book out called There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale. He was plugging it this AM on a radio show. It sounded like a good roast of actors who had treated him like garbage. I've got my name in at the library to check it out once it comes in.

i saw him on two different talk shows. on both of them he was griping how he didn't get paid very much for the LOTR trilogy.

kool-aid killer
10-16-2004, 04:14 PM
http://progressive2.stream.aol.com/newline/gl/newline/lordoftherings/ReturnOfTheKing/videos/LOTR_ROTK_Extend_700_dl.mov

Sit down and prepare for a brief blip from the official LOTR site. Your first look at THE MOUTH OF SAURON. Enjoy kids. :D

Holy crap! Those extra scenes look so awesome. The EE looks like its going to be worth the wait. :eek:

Reefer Shark
10-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Holy crap! Those extra scenes look so awesome. The EE looks like its going to be worth the wait. :eek:
Man, they really do. I'm so fired up for the EE now. The mouth of Sauron looks great, and I was really digging that scene where Saruman (sp?) was shooting a fireball at Gandalf. Too cool!

Can't wait to get this set! I'll be getting the collectors set to keep sealed (to go along with the previous two), and a basic EE to open and watch. :smoker:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-14-2004, 02:33 AM
Well, I just done watching the bonus Howard Shore disc that was included in the Return of the King collectibles box set. It cost me about 49.99 @wal-mart (price matched Best Buy) and i'm really happy with the set. It comes with a miniature Minas Tirith thing from sideshow, but i REALLY wanted the Howard Shore DVD as I saw the Lord of the Rings symphony back in March and I wanted to see this DVD. It's about 52 minutes and has live footage along with narration from Shore and some behind the scenes stuff. Interesting stuff, if that's your bag.

I can't wait to toss in the EE tomorrow. I have a feeling that after its over, LOTR will surpass SW as my favorite series of movies of all time. Toss up reviews when you can, kids!! :crazed:

Jayspawn
12-14-2004, 10:11 AM
I'm buying the Gift Set at Costco today when they open! Cant wait!!!!!

Mandalorian Candidat
12-14-2004, 11:08 AM
My wife "snuck" out of the house this AM to get the EE for me for XMas. :D I guess that means I'm expected to wait for another 10 days to watch it.

kool-aid killer
12-14-2004, 01:31 PM
I bought the EE this morning, but probably wont be able to watch it until Friday. Ive got finals all this week, so i dont really have four hours to sit through and watch. Im just itching to do it though. Ive held off on the versions that come with the extra gift (in this case Minas Tirith) but am now fighting the urge to do so. And if i get that one i will NEED to get the other two... Oh well, i cant wait to pop it in and see what all new goodies are included.

Reefer Shark
12-14-2004, 03:56 PM
I just picked up the EE on my lunch break. Thanks to a gift certificate I got on Sunday night, I got the boxset with Minas Tirath (to keep sealed), and a regular EE dvd set to open and watch.

Now I have to find a nice spot to display the FOTR, TTT, and ROTK deluxe box sets together :cool:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-14-2004, 08:54 PM
Woah, just woah. That was by far one of the most awesome cinematic experiences of my existence. All the new scenes are awesome. The scenes with Saruman and Grima are great, even though they are not doing the scouring of the shire, their demise isn't really that much different than what happened in the book. The other scenes with the Houses of Healing are also pretty good, even though it's more of a collage of things rather than actual dialogue induced scenes, but by far my favorite scene is the one with the Mouth of Sauron. This guy just creeps the bajesus out of me. His random sporatic movements and his damned sarcastic grin just gave me chills. The battle scenes are much longer and there is a fair amount of Merry kickin' the cans of a handful of orcs, which was very nice. all in all, i loved the EE and like the theatrical version, didn't want it to end.

Very well done, PJ and crew. Very well done.

vader121
12-15-2004, 09:43 AM
I watched the first disc last night and besides the Saruman scene not much was added. Just some random extra scenes here and there. I am anticipating a lot more memorable ones in the 2nd disc.

In terms of displaying the box sets there is an offer inside to get a slipcase to hold all 3. Need to order it online but I already ordered it. Seems like an organized way to keep all 3 SE sets.

scruffziller
12-16-2004, 09:11 AM
Woah, just woah. That was by far one of the most awesome cinematic experiences of my existence. All the new scenes are awesome. The scenes with Saruman and Grima are great, even though they are not doing the scouring of the shire, their demise isn't really that much different than what happened in the book. The other scenes with the Houses of Healing are also pretty good, even though it's more of a collage of things rather than actual dialogue induced scenes, but by far my favorite scene is the one with the Mouth of Sauron. This guy just creeps the bajesus out of me. His random sporatic movements and his damned sarcastic grin just gave me chills. The battle scenes are much longer and there is a fair amount of Merry kickin' the cans of a handful of orcs, which was very nice. all in all, i loved the EE and like the theatrical version, didn't want it to end.

Very well done, PJ and crew. Very well done.
Yes agreed JMG. Which makes you believe that how in the world did they justify all of what they did cut out. I couldn't believe the Saruman scene was cut out it was just unbelievable. Unless him falling on the waterwheel would have put it at an R rating. I know the scene wasn't as essential to moving the story along but these cut scenes I thought were far superior to any of the material that was cut from the other 2. It seemed like a great deal of all the cut stuff had a lot of money and time put into it and then to have it not used for its original presentation is sad, but thank God we can see them here.

Jayspawn
12-16-2004, 11:03 AM
More than aggreed on everything JMG and scruffziller said. Simply an awesome movie -absolutly incredible! I noticed every little thing they added back in. The Saurman scene was my favorite! I think they should have left it in the theatrical version but oh well. Makes a better Extended Edition.

Without a dought, Return of the King is one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Hellboy
12-16-2004, 08:10 PM
Man I want to watch this soooooo bad but stupid me I asked for it for X-mas so I guess I have to wait. Based on the comments I've read here though I think I'll be more than pleased with the additions to this EE and it also sounds like these scenes will resolve some of my disappointments (albeit minor) with the theatrical release.

scruffziller
12-16-2004, 10:06 PM
In my previous post hadn't watched it all the way through but have watched it in clips, got more to comment. HOW FRIGGIN' COOL WAS THE AVALANCHE OF SKULLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crazed: :cool:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-17-2004, 01:06 AM
That avalanche was really awesome. I couldn't help but giddy when the KOTD came out and told Aragorn they'd fight for him. The new additions just gave me so many opporunities to cheer the characters on. Did this happen to anybody else? more cases of cheering and feeling for/with the characters?!

The earthquake/avalanch also reminds of that damn level in the game and how hard it was. :crazed:

scruffziller
12-17-2004, 12:03 PM
The new additions just gave me so many opporunities to cheer the characters on. Did this happen to anybody else? more cases of cheering and feeling for/with the characters?!

Yes, I did too. Those extra conversations added more depth to the charachters which gave me an added emotion to the moments therein. Especially when Merry(or was it Pip?) was talking of their childhood together, it made me a little misty eyed.:)

Also, how hilarious was Gimli and Legalos' drinking game!!!!!

"I believe it is starting to affect me.......I feel a tingling in my fingers":D

Mandalorian Candidat
12-17-2004, 01:29 PM
I haven't seen the new EE yet because, like Hellboy, that's supposed to be my XMas present this year from my father-in-law.

This isn't a big deal, just something for the gee-whiz file, but the other night I was watching FOTR on TNT and noticed something kind of cool. During the council of Elrond when Boromir gets up to talk about Gondor or something like that, the soundtrack music is the Gondor/Minas Tirith theme from ROTK but just kind of subdued. I thought the movies were scored individually, but it appears that Howard Shore was really thinking ahead when he planned out a lot of the themes and musical cues. I gotta go back now to the TTT EE scene in Osgiliath with Faramir, Boromir, and Denethor to see if he did the same thing in the soundtrack there.

Reefer Shark
12-17-2004, 01:43 PM
I've only been able to watch about the first hour or so last night (been a busy week), and let me say that what I saw was fantastic.

The Saruman scenes was very awesome, and enhances the movie so much. The drinking contest was hilarious too! Tomorrow I'm setting some time aside to watch the whole thing.

scruffziller
12-18-2004, 01:22 PM
I just found out that that the black sail pirate/mercenary that Gimli shot as the "warning shot" was none other than PJ himself!!!!!!!!!!!

kool-aid killer
12-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Yep, tis true. I thought it was funny that PJ would include himself getting drilled. I enjoyed watching the EE last night. Lots of cool new scenes inserted throughout the movie. I liked seeing the Mouth of Sauron being silenced. The scene with Saruman was also a favorite. Very cool movie, much like the other two EEs. But despite all the goodies this one had, im certain that so much more was filmed and i hope one day we get to see everything they filmed.

scruffziller
12-20-2004, 08:30 AM
I would have never guessed we would have seen PJ make an appearance because of what he said on the commentary on the TTT that he was going to make a cameo appearance but he didn't have time to do it. But I guess he found the time when they did this.:)

Mandalorian Candidat
12-20-2004, 04:00 PM
I'm not surprised he showed up since he did cameos in the first two. The cut shot reinserted into the EE of ROTK explains why I couldn't find him on the first DVD.

scruffziller
12-20-2004, 06:46 PM
I'm not surprised he showed up since he did cameos in the first two. The cut shot reinserted into the EE of ROTK explains why I couldn't find him on the first DVD.
REALLY!!!!!!!!:eek:

Where is he in the first 2 movies!!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-20-2004, 06:49 PM
If i remember correctly, he's the first guy we really see in Bree, the drunk guy with hte beard that we see after the hobbits come into town. In TTT, he's the bearded guy at the battle of Helms Deep who throws a rock...or is it a spear? But that's him. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Here is a fun pic for my fellow PJ fans: it looks as though PJ has completly fixed himself up during the filming of "King Kong." Check out this pic as he's lost a lot of weight, lost the glasses, got new clothes and got a haircut!

Looks pretty snappy!

scruffziller
12-20-2004, 09:55 PM
Here is a fun pic for my fellow PJ fans: it looks as though PJ has completly fixed himself up during the filming of "King Kong." Check out this pic as he's lost a lot of weight, lost the glasses, got new clothes and got a haircut!

Looks pretty snappy!I wonder if he has started wearing shoes on a regular basis??:D

Also I have watched the easter egg that is in the same place as the other sets, I didn't think it was good at all. It was pathetic and uncomfortable.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-22-2004, 12:51 PM
If i remember correctly, he's the first guy we really see in Bree, the drunk guy with hte beard that we see after the hobbits come into town. In TTT, he's the bearded guy at the battle of Helms Deep who throws a rock...or is it a spear? But that's him. :D

You are correct, sir! :D

In Bree he's eating a big fat old carrot and at Helm's Deep he's with the younger boys throwing rocks down on the Uruk-Hai on the turret right over the front gate.

If you watch the writers' commentary on the EEs he announces his cameos and kind of pokes fun at himself.

That pic can't be of PJ?! He looks better than skanky old Anna Nicole Smith after she had her fat suction.

Mandalorian Candidat
01-03-2005, 05:19 PM
I finally cleared out a huge block of time and watched ROTK EE this weekend and I have to say that the extra footage makes the movie soooo much better. The extra battle scenes were great and the Mouth of Sauron scene is just *****in, though I don't remember him getting offed by Aragorn in the book.

I was disappointed that they didn't do the scenes about Denethor having the palantir and it making him go nuts. I thought that would have been better than having him just appear as some old dude with a chip on his shoulder.

The Saruman scene was a nice touch as well. It was a nice way to bump him off w/o having the Scouring of the Shire.

Now I guess we have to wait for the Hobbit in 200X (hopefully) for new Tolkein stuff.

aceguide
01-04-2005, 02:34 PM
I also just found the 4+ hours to watch the EE version. I also likes 90% of the added footage. Battles can always be longer and the mouth of Sauramon was too cool. I did find, hoever, a few scenes that did not need the extra line or two or extra shot. It made a few points drag in what is an EXTREMELY long movie.

RooJay
01-04-2005, 03:49 PM
I finally cleared out a huge block of time and watched ROTK EE this weekend and I have to say that the extra footage makes the movie soooo much better. The extra battle scenes were great and the Mouth of Sauron scene is just *****in, though I don't remember him getting offed by Aragorn in the book.

The book actually doesn't mention his death. In fact, nothing else is mentioned of him at all. Still...it was pretty freakin' awesome how Aragorn took him out in the movie - the expression on Aragorn's face when MOS introduced himself is classic and has become one of my favorite moments in the trilogy.

Interesting to note: Sauron had intended for MOS to rule over the conquered lands of western middle earth from a rebuilt Isengard (in place of Saruman who apparently didn't fit into the Dark Lord's victory plans) if the badguys had won the War of the Ring.

Jayspawn
01-14-2005, 11:15 AM
The Extended version is MUCH better than the Theatrical one. Everything that was put back in needs to be there.